PDA

View Full Version : Timestamps on quotes

Coney
13-12-2011, 09:15 PM
It would be neat if, when a post is quoted, it shows the date/time as well as the original poster in the quote. Would this be hard to achieve? Something like..

Originally Posted by Smeghead 13/12/2011@13:43

Blah Blah Blah and so's your mum.

Letters
13-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I doubt it's beyond the wit of man Jofnn.

Jofnn?

Coney
13-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I doubt it's beyond the wit of man Jofnn.

Jofnn?

I reckoned it might not be rocket science! Reason is that sometimes a quoted post (often modified) can be from a few pages back and it can be a pain in the ass going backwards to find the original without date/time to help.

Cripps_orig
13-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Just click on the blue thingy

Letters
13-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Aye, I agree. I'd quite like the whole history of quotes to be included too, at least as an option.
It can get annoying if you get too many nested quotes but it does give some context sometimes.

Coney
13-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Just click on the blue thingy

Oh yeah - never noticed that before. :good:

Coney
13-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Aye, I agree. I'd quite like the whole history of quotes to be included too, at least as an option.
It can get annoying if you get too many nested quotes but it does give some context sometimes.

Definitely. There is a definite loss of clarity without the nested quotes, especially if you have been off GW for a while and are looking at current posts.

Master Splinter
13-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Is Smeghead back on GW?!

GP
13-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Is Smeghead back on GW?!

He never left.

LDG
16-12-2011, 09:44 AM
:lol:

Jofnn
17-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I can have a look at the time stamp part... can't see it being too difficult, but who knows!

As for nested quotes, that's something that vbulletin have explicitly said no to in the past for their releases... so this would need some custom code...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Coney
17-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I can have a look at the time stamp part... can't see it being too difficult, but who knows!

As for nested quotes, that's something that vbulletin have explicitly said no to in the past for their releases... so this would need some custom code...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Not wishing to complicate things too much but maybe restrict it to (say) 3 sets of quotes to avoid massive posts building up?

Jofnn
26-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Apparently, it's not going to be as easy as I thought!

I'm setting a new copy of the forum up, so that I can try to get some code written to do this... :)

Jofnn
03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I've been working on this for a bit, but it's not looking as though we can easily implement it.

The way VBulletin is written, it restricts the usage of nested quotes... any changes we make to the core code to change all that, has a high chance of being blown away with any updated we do to the forum (i.e. versions etc).

Niall_Quinn
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Excuses, excuses...

Agreed, vBulletin is a dog, albeit a powerful one. In cases like these it's often better to reason with the users and offer an alternative solution, such as - piss off and be grateful for what you have, cunts! That has always worked for me in the many, many short-lived IT support roles I have held.

Jofnn
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Excuses, excuses...

Agreed, vBulletin is a dog, albeit a powerful one. In cases like these it's often better to reason with the users and offer an alternative solution, such as - piss off and be grateful for what you have, cunts! That has always worked for me in the many, many short-lived IT support roles I have held.

I'm still having a look at the timestamps part... but the nested quotes looks like a no-no.