PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for Europe

Ernesto
25-04-2012, 09:33 AM
After much painstaking debate in the CL thread last night, it has finally been deduced that should Chelsea win the Champions League, they would replace the team finishing 4th in the EPL this season.

Should Chelsea finish 4th, it makes things simple- they won the CL, qualified for the CL next season, but an extra place is NOT offered to the English Premier League.

Should Newcastle or Spurs finish 4th, they would have no participation in the CL next season should Chelsea win it in May.

Does that mean that if Newcastle finish 4th and Tottenham finish 5th (not even considered an almighty Arsenal collapse yet- doesn't bear thinking about!), then they both qualify for the Europa League? (i.e. is an extra place afforded by UEFA?) Or is there a domino effect? Newcastle in 4th get pushed into the Europa League and Spurs in 5th get nothing?

How about if Liverpool win the cup double? They're already in the Europa League by merit of winning the Carling Cup but by potentially winning the FA Cup, does this mean the extra place is given to the relatively highest placed Premiership team? (Normally, the place isn't given to the FA Cup runners-up)

In such a scenario, this COULD mean that Chelsea already definitely have a place in Europe next season. Worst case scenario, they finish 6th and lose out in both finals. BUT, given Liverpool's nailed-on involvement in the Europa League next season anyway, Chelsea go into the competition via the league.....

(My brain hurts)

McNamara That Ghost...
25-04-2012, 09:50 AM
As I understand it an extra place in the Europa League is opened if Chelsea win the Champions League but do not qualify for the Champions League nor Europa League through domestic competitions. However as you say Chelsea are effectively guaranteed Europe because a league place will be opened due to Liverpool winning the FA Cup so that above scenario is (as I understand it) made redundant.

It's the runners-up of the Carling Cup that do not gain a place under any circumstance. The runners-up of the FA Cup would qualify for the Europa League should Liverpool win it, Chelsea don't qualify through the league and of course don't win the Champions League. However in this case, the runners-up of the FA Cup would be Chelsea!

In that case of Chelsea winning the Champions League then the Europa League qualifers as it stands would be: Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool.