PDA

View Full Version : If DiMatteo Wins The Champions League (and FA Cup maybe)

Gubby Allen
28-04-2012, 10:01 PM
and if you want to extend it maybe 1st or 2nd in the league next year - would it still be a requirement that the next Arsenal manager must have a proven track record?

I know RDM is working at a club where considerably more money has been ploughed in, but on the flip side much of the side are fiarly average players or within a decent price eg Sturridge, Cahill, Kalou, Mereiles, Mikel etc.

His experience in management has consisted mainy of failing at West Brom compare that to two of our ex player examples.

Tony Adams - His only previous experience is also failing once at a PL club.

Brian McDermott - His record absolutely slaughters DiMatteo's a considerably better job at Reading than RDM at WBA. Yet if you proposed either of those say as next Arsenal manager, they'd probably be 100/1 shots and laughed off.

It doesn't have to be ex players. It would suggest that maybe Martinez, or possibly Rogers could do as decent a job at this level if DiMatteo can do it and AVB not.

Marc Overmars
28-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Di Matteo has little to do with Chelsea's success. All he's done is tell Big Man, Honest Frank and Drogsy they can play every week again.

That makes them happy.

They start playing well again.

No brainer.

To answer the question, no I don't think it's essential for our next manager to have a glittering CV. It's about finding a guy with the right philosophy and outlook.

GP
28-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Di Matteo has little to do with Chelsea's success.

Exactly. He'll get no credit from me.

Cripps_orig
28-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Done a great job

Would take him here

Olivier's xmas twist
28-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Exactly. He'll get no credit from me.

Too fecking right.

Id take AVB though.

Kano
29-04-2012, 12:10 AM
the Mourinho Batteries are almost out of power with that core of chelsea players, who are doing some kind of terminator last ditch, never gonna die, late push for glory. which is why it is such a shame their old mentor could not be the one to kill them off in the final, with a dark ironic twist of the knife.

rdm has done a good job in keeping the squad happy so far but he would only earn his respect from building a successful team from the ashes of the current one, which is no mean feat with financial fair play round the corner. saying that, the signing of marko marin is a smart move, who will link up very well with mata.

like liverpool this season, winning trophies is great although their decline in standards in the prem shows big cause for concern as the real barometer of where the team stands at the moment.

half a season doesn't dictate whether a manager is or isn't up to the job in a particular country - avb knew what he was getting himself into but still can't help the fact his boss is so fickle.

Özim
29-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Too fecking right.

Id take AVB though.
Strange, as far as I could see he did a terrible job at Chelsea...then Di Matteo came in and sorted it out.

As far as I can see he's got the team spirit back at Chelsea and has made them half decent again, no mean feat considering how sh*t they were un Villas-Boas.

Özim
29-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Done a great job

Would take him here
Yup agree with this, managed to get WBA promoted as well so he's not totally unproven.

As far as getting no credit from some people, I'm sure he'll be very upset :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Strange, as far as I could see he did a terrible job at Chelsea...then Di Matteo came in and sorted it out.

As far as I can see he's got the team spirit back at Chelsea and has made them half decent again, no mean feat considering how sh*t they were un Villas-Boas.

Another way of looking at it, is that the end was near for the nucleus of the team. AVB was brought in with the remit to sort it out. The senior boys didn't like it and by extension didn't like AVB. They did everything in their power to undermine him. Everyone knows RDM is a temp, so the senior boys decided to stop sulking because RDM is handing them everything they want on a plate, letting the head boys call the shots. Their relative success of the past few weeks won't last.

Özim
29-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Another way of looking at it, is that the end was near for the nucleus of the team. AVB was brought in with the remit to sort it out. The senior boys didn't like it and by extension didn't like AVB. They did everything in their power to undermine him. Everyone knows RDM is a temp, so the senior boys decided to stop sulking because RDM is handing them everything they want on a plate, letting the head boys call the shots. Their relative success of the past few weeks won't last.
Pure speculation, but regardless of this it's a manager's job to get players doing what they are suppose to, if he can't manage/handle his players and gain their respect then he's doing something wrong.

It's a results business at the end of the day and if a manager isn't getting the results he's doing a bad job.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Pure speculation, but regardless of this it's a manager's job to get players doing what they are suppose to, if he can't manage/handle his players and gain their respect then he's doing something wrong.

It's a results business at the end of the day and if a manager isn't getting the results he's doing a bad job.

You live in a world where everything is so simple. It is why you can never appreciate the full picture because the complexities involved just go right over your head. It is like debating with a 7 year old. If I give my kid all the sweets he wants, whenever he wants them, he will be deliriously happy. For a while. Then he'll make himself sick and I'll have to deal with the aftermath - or better yet, pass the problem on to my wife. That way, I'll still look great and she'll be the 'bad parent' because she'll be the one seen dealing with a mess - a mess I would have created for short term bliss.

The current situation at Chelsea is like dealing with the same. The players with no/or very little future at the Club are ruling the roost at the expense of the future of the Club as it is not being allowed to develop and change as personnel get older.

That is one of the key reasons why Chelsea have fallen so far behind Manchester United.

Özim
29-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Wow maybe you should work for Chelsea since you know so much about the club!

Fact is whether you like it or not a good manager knows how to get the best out of his players, regardless of the scenario...just look at Mourinho as an example.

Villas Boas wasn't disliked when he arrived, his methods and man management clearly didn't go down well but that's his problem really, a good manager deals with different situations in different ways and adapts. He didn't he got the sack and rightly so, Chelsea would have been nowhere had he stayed on.

Chelsea are so far behind because they have been poor this season, now that Di Matteo has come in it's picked up because he knows how to deal with the players he has and get them playing as a team, the BS flying around about how he lets them do what they want is total BS, he just knows how to get the best out of them!

As for the insults, stop being so patronising just because you don't like the answer, your holier than thou attitude stinks, you're hardly Einstein!

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Fact is whether you like it or not a good manager knows how to get the best out of his players, regardless of the scenario...just look at Mourinho as an example.

Villas Boas wasn't disliked when he arrived, his methods and man management clearly didn't go down well but that's his problem really, a good manager deals with different situations in different ways and adapts. He didn't he got the sack and rightly so, Chelsea would have been nowhere had he stayed on.

As for the insults, stop being so patronising just because you don't like the answer, your holier than thou attitude stinks, you're hardly Einstein!

There was a bad situation at Chelsea, but that was primarily down to the senior players.

Also, Mourinho has nothing whatsoever to do with the point being 'debated'. And I never claimed to be Einstein - I expressed what it feels like debating with you.

Coney
29-04-2012, 09:28 AM
While I hate Moronio, I have to say he was quite effective in one way at Chelsea and that is he could handle a large bunch of prima donnas who are up their own arses. (Mancini is finding that out at Citeh with the hassle he has). Management at that high level is more about man management than tactics - players at that level should pretty well know what to do - you are buying the finished product off the shelf, not training them from (relatively) the start which is what Wenger does - as does SAF - with most of their players.

It might be that Di Matteo is also being more successful because the players know that the season was going to be more dire if they carried on the way they had with AVB and they want to impress whoever is new. Terry will want to be captain so he has to get up the new managers arse upfront (if that is possible) to claim continuation of the position. Plus AVB was a lame duck by Februrary and once the players know a manager is going sooner or later, then that is curtains. Abramovich was right to fire AVB sooner rather than later for that reason, but Abramovich is to blame overall for creating the situation that everyone knows a Chelsea manager, if not on top and flying clear by then, will be sacked by him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 09:35 AM

There was a bad situation at Chelsea, but that was primarily down to the senior players.

Also, Mourinho has nothing whatsoever to do with the point being 'debated'. And I never claimed to be Einstein - I expressed what it feels like debating with you.

Nah but he is Zimms fave manager and he is so far up his arse he'll bring him up to make himself look good.

Thats the problem with Zimm he is so far up Jose's Ass that no other manager would stand a chance.

The thing that hurts Zimm the most is knowing Jose would never manage Arsenal FC and it kills him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Not really Strange he is hardly a bad manager, he'd have not won the Europa league and league double with porto if he did, I know they are both easy things to win, But for a young man like him to win them he can't be too bad.

He made a big mistake going to the chavs and its hos own fault for jumping in too deep.

But we all make mistakes. funny thing is you were one of the ones who wated AVB to come to us instead of chavs in the 1st place but because he never leaded chavs to a trophy he is a failure :lol:

Di Matteo has done ok but if you think he got the Chelsea Old boys to play well then more fool you.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 10:04 AM
You live in a world where everything is so simple. It is why you can never appreciate the full picture because the complexities involved just go right over your head. It is like debating with a 7 year old. If I give my kid all the sweets he wants, whenever he wants them, he will be deliriously happy. For a while. Then he'll make himself sick and I'll have to deal with the aftermath - or better yet, pass the problem on to my wife. That way, I'll still look great and she'll be the 'bad parent' because she'll be the one seen dealing with a mess - a mess I would have created for short term bliss.

The current situation at Chelsea is like dealing with the same. The players with no/or very little future at the Club are ruling the roost at the expense of the future of the Club as it is not being allowed to develop and change as personnel get older.

That is one of the key reasons why Chelsea have fallen so far behind Manchester United.

Pretty Much. Funny thing about Zimm he does not realise that what terry did to AVB got rid of him is the excat same thing Terry did to Jose Mourinho. Went to speak to Roman to get rid of him too.

Yet he still thinks Managers run the Chelsea team.

Im surpised by people on here. They say Wenger out and all that anyone can do his job etc and i get that fine. Give then a few quality names to replace him its "we don't want him he did bad at so and so, Not him either he plays shite football" "He only managed in the German leagues" etc.

Too many Morden day gooners who are spoilt.

Joker
29-04-2012, 10:59 AM
No the next manager doesn't need a glittering CV, hopefully it's someone with fresh ideas and ideally with some connection to the club (although I know that's difficult).

What I don't want is Wenger to influence that decision, because he'll probably promote someone with a similar ideology to his, and we need a break from that.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:02 AM
No the next manager doesn't need a glittering CV, hopefully it's someone with fresh ideas and ideally with some connection to the club (although I know that's difficult).

What I don't want is Wenger to influence that decision, because he'll probably promote someone with a similar ideology to his, and we need a break from that.

Makes no diffrence if the board are happy to keep things as they are anyway.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Er let's see, new manager who's been very successful at previous club comes in, would be strange to dislike him immediately wouldn't it? Doesn't take a genius to work that out.

The situation was because the manager made the wrong choices and was unable to man manage his players using a method which brought out to best out of them.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Nah but he is Zimms fave manager and he is so far up his arse he'll bring him up to make himself look good.

Thats the problem with Zimm he is so far up Jose's Ass that no other manager would stand a chance.

The thing that hurts Zimm the most is knowing Jose would never manage Arsenal FC and it kills him.
Nah what kills me is having that French muppet in charge.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Er let's see, new manager who's been very successful at previous club comes in, would be strange to dislike him immediately wouldn't it? Doesn't take a genius to work that out.

The situation was because the manager made the wrong choices and was unable to man manage his players using a method which brought out to best out of them.

And you still don't get the point GB was making.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Pretty Much. Funny thing about Zimm he does not realise that what terry did to AVB got rid of him is the excat same thing Terry did to Jose Mourinho. Went to speak to Roman to get rid of him too.

Yet he still thinks Managers run the Chelsea team.

Im surpised by people on here. They say Wenger out and all that anyone can do his job etc and i get that fine. Give then a few quality names to replace him its "we don't want him he did bad at so and so, Not him either he plays shite football" "He only managed in the German leagues" etc.

Too many Morden day gooners who are spoilt.
Well sorry but that's total nonsense, players don't run the team the manager does...if the players are doing so that's because the manager has been unable to gain any respect from them and isn't good enough at his job.

Any top manager will enforce his methods and as for Terry :lol: Abrahmovic makes the decisions not the players he bought :lol: he owns the club and doesn't rely on the fans so he's entitled to at the end of the day.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Nah what kills me is having that French muppet in charge.

Thats an excuse if he went tommrow and we got anyone but Jose in you still moan and you know it.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:21 AM
And you still don't get the point GB was making.
I do, but I think it's nonsense, good managers run the team not the other way round. Noone else has had problems with the Chelsea team, clear AVB didn't know how to manage them and it showed, wouldn't want him near our club in a month of Sundays, he's sh*t.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Thats an excuse if he went tommrow and we got anyone but Jose in you still moan and you know it.
We'll never get Mourinho, the club don't want winners they want yes men who do what they tell them and don't want to do anything to win.

Wenger fits in very nicely, he's happy with being a 4th place loser for the rest of his career.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Well sorry but that's total nonsense, players don't run the team the manager does...if the players are doing so that's because the manager has been unable to gain any respect from them and isn't good enough at his job.

Any top manager will enforce his methods.

If you beilieve thats what happens at Chelsea then more fool you when the world and his daughter knows what happens. I have at least a doozen Chelsea fans tell me how AVB was wrongly chucked out and they know why.

No manager stands an chance at the Chavs even Di Mateo is not assured of a job if he wins the CL shows you what type of club they are and owner they have.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:24 AM
If you beilieve thats what happens at Chelsea then more fool you when the world and his daughter knows what happens. I have at least a doozen Chelsea fans tell me how AVB was wrongly chucked out and they know why.

No manager stands an chance at the Chavs even Di Mateo is not assured of a job if he wins the CL shows you what type of club they are and owner they have.
Abrahmovic makes the choices noone else, everyone knows that, he pays the money and makes the decisions.

Managers have to fit in with his ideas and win that's the way it works, the players are irrelevant, if you don't see that than more fool you. Can't complain though, he's delivered success to the fans...his biggest mistake was having a disagreement with Jose that's clear.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2012, 11:26 AM
This isn't really Arsenal debate. Moved.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:27 AM
We'll never get Mourinho, the club don't want winners they want yes men who do what they tell them and don't want to do anything to win.

Wenger fits in very nicely, he's happy with being a 4th place loser for the rest of his career.

Wow way to dodge the question :haha:

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow way to dodge the question :haha:
Didn't dodge the question, it wasn't actually a question look:

:lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Abrahmovic makes the choices noone else, everyone knows that, he pays the money and makes the decisions.

Managers have to fit in with his ideas and win that's the way it works, the players are irrelevant, if you don't see that than more fool you. Can't complain though, he's delivered success to the fans...his biggest mistake was having a disagreement with Jose that's clear.
I don't think he gives too shits really. WHat happend with Jose would hardly keep him up all night.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't think he gives too shits really. WHat happend with Jose would hardly keep him up all night.
I think he probably does now, since he left they haven't been anywhere near as successful and that's what matters to him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I think he probably does now, since he left they haven't been anywhere near as successful and that's what matters to him.

And if they win the CL this season something that Jose could not do with them i think he'd be a very happy man tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Abramovich still wants it all. He wants success and for Chelsea to play what he considers attractive football. Only one of those two isn't going to be enough for a manager to stay there for long.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Not really if the brief is to refresh the team - by definition, the ones with the most to lose are players like Terry and Lampard and their chums. All of whom have cried like bitches or have 'close sources' cry like bitches to the press.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I do, but I think it's nonsense, good managers run the team not the other way round. Noone else has had problems with the Chelsea team, clear AVB didn't know how to manage them and it showed, wouldn't want him near our club in a month of Sundays, he's sh*t.

I knew trying to debate with one half of TD and TS was a mistake.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:42 AM
And if they win the CL this season something that Jose could not do with them i think he'd be a very happy man tbh.
They haven't won it yet, but yes he'd be happy....Jose would have delivered the CL eventually...he always does!

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Abramovich still wants it all. He wants success and for Chelsea to play what he considers attractive football. Only one of those two isn't going to be enough for a manager to stay there for long.
Very true, but hey he's put tonnes of his own money in so I guess he can do what he wants.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Not really if the brief is to refresh the team - by definition, the ones with the most to lose are players like Terry and Lampard and their chums. All of whom have cried like bitches or have 'close sources' cry like bitches to the press.
Let me draw a parallel, you're in a job and a new manager comes in who doesn't treat you the way you think you should be treated and in your opinion and many others isn't managing the employees well. Is this a scenario that's going to get the best out of you or are you likely to be de-motivated?

I think this is a similar situation.

Besides the Chelsea players know they are reaching the end of their careers their, it's normal at their age, you don't actually know what his objectives were though, I suspect there were two...to win and play good football

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:45 AM

I knew trying to debate with one half of TD and TS was a mistake.
Wasn't funny the first time, you must be running out of material as you've had to re-use the same sh*t...time to hang up your boots methinks :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Let me draw a parallel, you're in a job and a new manager comes in who doesn't treat you the way you think you should be treated and in your opinion and many others isn't managing the employees well. Is this a scenario that's going to get the best out of you or are you likely to be de-motivated?

I think this is a similar situation.

If we're all reluctantly approaching retirement and someone has come in with a remit to refresh the team, then it is a similar situation.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:48 AM
They haven't won it yet, but yes he'd be happy....Jose would have delivered the CL eventually...he always does!

But he never with chavs simple for the sqaud they had and the manager he was and he should have, if he oculd ahve done it wil milan in a year then he should have done it with Cheslea in the time he was there.

Whether he'll do it with madrid is questionable too, should have done it this year but failed tbh. they should have beatern the germans at home no questions aksed.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:48 AM
If we're all reluctantly approaching retirement and someone has come in with a remit to refresh the team, then it is a similar situation.
Again you don't know he was there to "refresh" the team, I believe he was there to win and play pretty football and do it by whatever means...that doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of older players.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Wasn't funny the first time, you must be running out of material as you've had to re-use the same sh*t...time to hang up your boots methinks :lol:

Not funny, but effective.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:50 AM
But he never with chavs simple for the sqaud they had and the manager he was and he should have, if he oculd ahve done it wil milan in a year then he should have done it with Cheslea in the time he was there.

Whether he'll do it with madrid is questionable too, should have done it this year but failed tbh. they should have beatern the germans at home no questions aksed.
He'll do it with Madrid no doubt, he's already won the cup and then the league, his teams progress they don't stand still.

No he didn't but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have, his record suggests he would.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Not funny, but effective.
Not really, it's not actually achieved anything.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:53 AM
He'll do it with Madrid no doubt, he's already won the cup and then the league, his teams progress they don't stand still.

No he didn't but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have, his record suggests he would.

CL is a funny thing no way to know he will ever win it with madrid you probably said that the last 2 years they win it and look what happend. Im sure Madrid will be favs to win it next season but with these competions you just never know.

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:54 AM
CL is a funny thing no way to know he will ever win it with madrid you probably said that the last 2 years they win it and look what happend. Im sure Madrid will be favs to win it next season but with these competions you just never know.
You never know for sure, but if you look at his record it suggest there's a very good chance.

Winning is everything to him and he's very very good at making his teams win.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Again you don't know he was there to "refresh" the team, I believe he was there to win and play pretty football and do it by whatever means...that doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of older players.

The team - as it is and when the new manager came in required it - it has been a common thread of analysis by just about everyone and by far the greatest threat to Chelsea's future is the age of the squad. The squad was being overhauled by a Manager that I and many other suggest has a bright future.

And he was scuppered by a cabal of players who have little future other than a declining influence in the game.

Noone else has had problems with the Chelsea team

I'm still laughing at that.

That's gold Zim, GOLD!

Ernesto
29-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I echo some of the opinions in the opening few posts of this thread. Not much can be accredited to Roberto Di Matteo's successes (if, indeed, he does prevail in the FA Cup and Champions League) when it's clear as day that the players are putting that much more effort in under him. Under AVB, they were embarrassing. This is what compels me to side with AVB over Di Matteo as a potential successor to Wenger. With a lack of egos at AFC, I'm sure AVB would do a good job here.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:56 AM
you must be running out of material as you've had to re-use the same sh*t

Oh the Irony :haha:

Özim
29-04-2012, 11:58 AM
The team - as it is and when the new manager came in required it - it has been a common thread of analysis by just about everyone and by far the greatest threat to Chelsea's future is the age of the squad. The squad was being overhauled by a Manager that I and many other suggest has a bright future.

And he was scuppered by a cabal of players who have little future other than a declining influence in the game.
That's your opinion, Milan won trophies with ageing players, there's a balance and Chelsea players aren't that old yet...again pure speculation.

The players know when their time is up, just look at Drogba, this theory you've concocted seems to be the basis of your whole argument but it's totally unproven.

AVB was brought in to win and play good football by whatever means, I doubt he was told get rid of all the older players or you won't win anything....some may have made way others may have stayed, the problem was his inability to man manage them.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I echo some of the opinions in the opening few posts of this thread. Not much can be accredited to Roberto Di Matteo's successes (if, indeed, he does prevail in the FA Cup and Champions League) when it's clear as day that the players are putting that much more effort in under him. Under AVB, they were embarrassing. This is what compels me to side with AVB over Di Matteo as a potential successor to Wenger. With a lack of egos at AFC, I'm sure AVB would do a good job here.

Pretty much, I mean its not like he got a year or 2 to make here stamp on the team if he did then id see peoples points about him not being good deserving to be sacked etc.

Di maeto did not bring in no new players he was the Assistant manager to AVB was he not so he knew the players anyway and they probs took a liking to him more then AVB anyway being a chelsea Legend.

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Getting a bunch of players to play as a team is a skill, Chelsea look very united at the moment and let's not forget Di Matteo did a decent job at WBA too.

He can't take all the credit as he didn't build the team (neither did AVB incidentally) but he's doing a much better job than Villa Boas ever did...they were a car crash with him and getting beaten by all and sundry.

I personally don't rate him that highly as he's still relatively unproven.

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Pretty much, I mean its not like he got a year or 2 to make here stamp on the team if he did then id see peoples points about him not being good deserving to be sacked etc.

Di maeto did not bring in no new players he was the Assistant manager to AVB was he not so he knew the players anyway and they probs took a liking to him more then AVB anyway being a chelsea Legend.
AVB only had a few months in the job, he signed a few but had some disastrous results, this wasn't even his squad bar a few players. A few months isn't enough to take the credit for building a new team.

Some managers can get the best out of any group of players some can't he couldn't that's a fact, at least Di Matteo has shown he can do that.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 12:06 PM
That's your opinion, Milan won trophies with ageing players, there's a balance and Chelsea players aren't that old yet...again pure speculation.

The players know when their time is up, just look at Drogba, this theory you've concocted seems to be the basis of your whole argument but it's totally unproven.

AVB was brought in to win and play good football by whatever means, I doubt he was told get rid of all the older players or you won't win anything....some may have made way others may have stayed, the problem was his inability to man manage them.

It isn't a concocted theory by me - it has been a common topic of discussion throughout football since his appointment!

And the problems have been with JT and his cabal - it permeated about 90% of any discussion and articles written about Chelsea!

Ernesto
29-04-2012, 12:07 PM

I think you have that bit between your teeth when you have that second bite of the cherry, too. (One too many dental analogies, there!) Unless, of course, you're Ranieri or Benitez, where you stink up every club you're appointed to!

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 12:08 PM

We have all wondered about the situation regarding transfers now AVB is in charge. Reports were that he had 100% say on all comings and goings at the club. Well today, in his press conference ahead of the game tomorrow, AVB has confirmed that isn't the case.

We have been heavily linked with Genk's exciting winger Kevin De Bruyne for the last few seasons and things have come to a head this week with reports that a deal would be agreed between the two clubs for him to sign for Chelsea and be loaned straight back to Genk to finish the Belgian season.

AVB has stressed today that KDB will be a one for the club and not necessarily one of his own personal targets. He said:

'He is a player that the club has scouted for quite some time, and was interested in for quite some time. I am a manager who respects club policies as well and when the club has to plan for the future, being with this manager and any other manager, I think Kevin is an extremely interesting player and is a good bet if the club finishes the situation.
Interesting comments from AVB again. I understand the situation with the club wanting to invest in younger players and to build for the future. Surely though, the Manager should have the final say whether or not someone comes in or doesn't?.

If we do sign KDB then AVB will have to integrate him into his plans for next season whether he wanted to or not which seems wrong to me.

If you are to have confidence in the person your believe is the right man to take the club forward, then surely you need to give him total control of HIS squad.

Is it just me or am I wrong on this? Like I said, I understand the club wanting to build for the future, but my view is that it must be in accordance with the manager and the players HE WANTS?

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2012/01/kevin-de-bruyne-club-signing-and-not.html

AVB was bought for the future and told to get rid of the old boys soon as he tried to do it he was sacked. Chelsea were never going to win the league this year who ever was in chanrge and they knew it, but as they said this season was a transistional one for them hence why AVB was boiught in so he had a couple of years to build a team.

GP
29-04-2012, 12:09 PM
It isn't a concocted theory by me - it has been a common topic of discussion throughout football since his appointment!

And the problems have been with JT and his cabal - it permeated about 90% of any discussion and articles written about Chelsea!

http://i3.imageban.ru/out/2012/04/23/8ebc35e335d1e88e3037fba231831a94.jpg

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.chelseadaft.org/2012/01/kevin-de-bruyne-club-signing-and-not.html

AVB was bought for the future and told to get rid of the old boys soon as he tried to do it he was sacked. Chelsea were never going to win the league this year who ever was in chanrge and they knew it, but as they said this season was a transistional one for them hence why AVB was boiught in so he had a couple of years to build a team.
He has a plan for the future, so what? All managers do...players know they'll have to move on at some time.

Every manager will sign some younger players, doesn't mean the older players are out immediately, it's normal to plan.

If Di Matteo got the job what's to say he won't have a massive clearout?

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I think you have that bit between your teeth when you have that second bite of the cherry, too. (One too many dental analogies, there!) Unless, of course, you're Ranieri or Benitez, where you stink up every club you're appointed to!

IMO the comparisons with Mourhino was always going to work against him tbh he was never going to allowed to stay in that job unless he won the league, but i thoght they have given him a year or 2 to prove himself. These were the stupid people who paid 24 mill for him in the 1st place.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 12:12 PM
He has a plan for the future, so what? All managers do...players know they'll have to move on at some time.

Every manager will sign some younger players, doesn't mean the older players are out immediately, it's normal to plan.

He was told to get rid of the dross by his boss simple as that, but soon as JT did not like how his mate was treated he went to his boss and that was that. Basically AVB did not suck Terry's Balls Like Jose never and paid the price.

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:14 PM
He was told to get rid of the dross by his boss simple as that, but soon as JT did not like how his mate was treated he went to his boss and that was that. Basically AVB did not suck Terry's Balls Like Jose never and paid the price.
He didn't get rid of them, they're still there..if he didn't want them why not sell them last summer?

He couldn't manage his squad that's a fact, Di Matteo can. If you have a squad of players you rotate and play them all especially with senior players, it's about making everyone feel wanted and part of the squad.

Abrahmovic doesn't give a sh*t about the players, if the manager had won everything and got rid of every senior player in the process he wouldn't have given a sh*t, Abrahmovic thought the results were poor and he was right, so he sacked him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 12:16 PM
AVB only had a few months in the job, he signed a few but had some disastrous results, this wasn't even his squad bar a few players. A few months isn't enough to take the credit for building a new team.

Some managers can get the best out of any group of players some can't he couldn't that's a fact, at least Di Matteo has shown he can do that.

Like i said Had he been there a year or 2 and failed then they may have a point over sacking him, but he never had a chance to build the team he was told to by Abromvich.

But thats the problem with clubs like Chelsea they makes the rules as they go along no matter who gets hurts. And ues if they win the double chav fans won't care i get that, but they no deep down their club will always be a joke.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 12:17 PM
He didn't get rid of them, they're still there..if he didn't want them why not sell them last summer?

He couldn't manage his squad that's a fact, Di Matteo can. If you have a squad of players you rotate and play them all especially with senior players, it's about making everyone feel wanted and part of the squad.

What the hell do you think he was doing not playing them and weeding them out gradually, you can't just sell them all like that in the summer.

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:19 PM
What the hell do you think he was doing not playing them and weeding them out gradually, you can't just sell them all like that in the summer.
He didn't manage his squad well that's the problem at the end of the day, Di Matteo hasn't had a problem and he's made changes.

Comes down to poor man management and coaching methods at the end of the day, you have to make players feel wanted, if they don't feel they are they won't play for you, there's ways of doing things, he clearly didn't have a clue.

Coney
29-04-2012, 12:20 PM
This isn't really Arsenal debate. Moved.

Do we have a "Bitch Corner" section?

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm not saying RDM can't manage - I'm also not saying he can - anyone making such a statement from such a small evidence base is someone who is a simpleton that will have no problem contradicting himself five minutes later when a larger body of evidence demonstrates the contrary to their opinion.

BUT - the appearance is that the cabal are calling the shots and just about anyone can manage like this in the short term - but it is not sustainable.

Özim
29-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm not saying RDM can't manage - I'm also not saying he can - anyone making such a statement from such a small evidence base is someone who is a simpleton that will have no problem contradicting himself five minutes later when a larger body of evidence demonstrates the contrary to their opinion.

BUT - the appearance is that the cabal are calling the shots and just about anyone can manage like this in the short term - but it is not sustainable.
Only time will tell, if he keeps the job that is.

He did a decent job at WBA overall though, not great job but decent.

I don't susbscribe to the view that the players call the shots though, if that's the case there's no point having a manager.

Kano
29-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Abrahmovic doesn't give a sh*t about the players, if the manager had won everything and got rid of every senior player in the process he wouldn't have given a sh*t, Abrahmovic thought the results were poor and he was right, so he sacked him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Yet thats why he chose Terrys side over Jose's then.

Özim
29-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Yet thats why he chose Terrys side over Jose's then.
That's BS, he didn't choose anyone's side he chose to sack AVB because results have been sh*t and they we'rent going to win jack sh*t just like with every other manager he's sacked.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 02:34 PM
That's BS, he didn't choose anyone's side he chose to sack AVB because results have been sh*t and they we'rent going to win jack sh*t just like with every other manager he's sacked.

I never said nout about AVB :haha:

Özim
29-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I never said nout about AVB :haha:
I ignored that as it doesn't make sense, just thought it was one of those inaccuracies that always seem to make their way into your posts :lol:

Özim
29-04-2012, 03:23 PM
They couldn't afford me!

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I ignored that as it doesn't make sense, just thought it was one of those inaccuracies that always seem to make their way into your posts :lol:

But it did make sense though. I suppose you have be unaised to understand it though. Its ok i guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one:good:

Dennis Bendtner
29-04-2012, 03:35 PM
John Terry has revealed he apologised to Roberto Di Matteo and his team-mates for getting sent off in Chelsea's Champions League victory against Barcelona.

Terry also used his programme notes for Chelsea's Premier League game against Queens Park Rangers to say sorry to Blues supporters and pay tribute to the 10 men who produced a heroic comeback at the Camp Nou on Tuesday to reach the final.

The Chelsea captain wrote: "I want to start my notes by saying how sorry I am for getting sent off at the Camp Nou and for putting the players, the manager and the club in that situation so early on in such an important game.

"I apologised to Robbie, the players and the staff after the game. I'm big enough to come out and man up when I make a mistake and, clearly, I made a mistake on Tuesday. I'm sorry for that and I owe it to you, the fans, to come out and say so.

"After that, for the boys to go and get the result they did, in the manner they did, was honestly one of the best things I have seen since I have been at Chelsea.

"It was not just the result, but the way they played. Just when it looked like everything was going wrong, for the 10 players on the pitch to stand up to one of the best teams ever to play the game, in their own stadium, was incredible.

"I was really proud to see the lads get through, because this club and this group of players deserve the opportunity in the Champions League final."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/29/john-terry-chelsea-red-card-barcelona?newsfeed=true

He's big. And he's a man. The big man. Big.

Marc Overmars
29-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Robbie. :bow:

Cripps_orig
29-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Just seen they won 6-1 today with a Torres hat trick :blink:

RDM is a Must Get

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Robbie. :bow:

Wonder if he apologised before or after selecting the team for the next match?