Top 4 are

4th - Sir Chesney

3rd - Samir Nasri

2nd - RVP

First is announced tomorrow.

No idea who it could be

cheesy bites
26-05-2011, 02:05 PM
If Wilshere isn't player of the year, I'll go support Stoke.

IBK
26-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Ach - its a bit frustrating to have to click on links - and they don;t work anyway. Why not just list them? :good:

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Of course :doh:

Completely forgot about him

Says something that our best player is someone with piss poor end product.

Syn
26-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Here we go... :rolleyes:

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Ach - its a bit frustrating to have to click on links - and they don;t work anyway. Why not just list them? :good:

Done

cheesy bites
26-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Do you mean goals or goal assists/killer passes?

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Here we go... :rolleyes:

Im a big fan of Sir Jack. The player not the poster that is.

But his end product is very poor. Add goals to his game, cut out the tippy tappy shit and hes the best CM in England

IBK
26-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Ta - nailed on Wilshere. And whether or not people think he merits the hype, for me he gets there on spirit and attitude alone. Boy's done very well in leapfrogging Denilson; Diaby; Rosicky into the MF in his first senior season.

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Do you mean goals or goal assists/killer passes?

Goals mainly. Not sure how many assists hes got but i cant imagine its too many either.

cheesy bites
26-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Goals mainly. Not sure how many assists hes got but i cant imagine its too many either.

Yeah I'd agree with that, though he has been playing pretty deep, plus with Song thinking he's the next Messi, he's had to cover the defence a lot.

Marc Overmars
26-05-2011, 02:13 PM
RVP should have won it by a distance.

Fucking love Jack but he's overrated by default.

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:15 PM

This

Syn
26-05-2011, 02:17 PM

But his end product is very poor. Add goals to his game, cut out the tippy tappy shit and hes the best CM in England

It depends on where he plays. If he's not an attacking CM (and he hasn't been for us), then it's unfair for him expect goals (although you'd have expected him to get more than he has). If Cesc goes and Wilshere plays a more attacking role, I'm sure he'll get goals. He seems to be one of those types that doesn't have much trouble adapting.

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 02:22 PM
It depends on where he plays. If he's not an attacking CM (and he hasn't been for us), then it's unfair for him expect goals (although you'd have expected him to get more than he has). If Cesc goes and Wilshere plays a more attacking role, I'm sure he'll get goals. He seems to be one of those types that doesn't have much trouble adapting.

Whenever hes in the last 3rd, he rarely shoots. Ok this is an Arsenal problem and not just him but sometimes when the opportunity for a shot comes then he has to take it.

Darth Vela
26-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Y'mean with his passport being local? It's gonna happen I guess but I haven't seen too much OTT stuff apart from the usual 'saviour of football' crap, he genuinely is the most talented Englishman for a while and really has revitalised our midfield.

Özim
26-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Got to agree with this, RVP has been very good and our best player. Wilshere's done well for his 1st season though.

I do think he is very hyped but it goes with the territory of being English.

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Not sure about Jack being overrated, but I agree about RvP. He kept producing even when the rest of the team went on an early holiday. This is his best year in terms of goalscoring and over an injury shortened season (as normal). RvP by a mile, then Jack then I struggle to think of a name.

Master Splinter
26-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Interesting that RVP and Szczesny only played half the season really.

Also, Sagna woz robbed.

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Also, Sagna woz robbed.

That just highlights how awful the rest have been.

Sirchesney was average at best and he got 4th best player

Newguy
26-05-2011, 06:25 PM
RvP for me should be player of the season, Wilshere IMO should not get that accolade. He's done well dont get me wrong, but RvP has shown that he is a big game player and done his bit in the run in.

The Wengerbabies
26-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Also, Sagna woz robbed.
Not only that they played in the shit half of the season :lol:

:(

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 07:21 PM

As long as the distance we're talking about is so humungous (sp) that largest of cellestial objects is beyond theviewing range of the hubble telescope, then I make you just about right. Jack is good - very good, but he is only POTS because he is English.

We've fucked up just about everything this season, so we may as well fuck up the POTS selection as well.

Power n Glory
26-05-2011, 07:29 PM
RVP should have won. Goals, assist, passion, determination. Just needs to stay fit.

Whilshere was great but not player of the season. Agree about the assists and goals but he's a huge upgrade on Denilson. No side ways passing and shrieking from responsibility, able to turn a man, able to run with the ball and actually pass it forward.

I like Whilshere, but I think Ramsey will be the guy that gets more of the goals and assists for us if they both took over the midfield. He just seems more direct and noticed a couple of the passes he played during the Manure game. Can play it over the top and thread players through with his passing. Whilshere is probably better in tight situations and playing the accurate ball to feet pass, sneaky one two passes etc. Great close control and very agile. Good dribbler of the ball.

We've got two gems in the squad. We'll be interesting to see how they progress next season. Wenger has bought himself some credit with. These two players and possibly more time. I want to see them leading the line up and getting better.

Mr. Lahey
26-05-2011, 08:10 PM

completely agree, the wheelchair hype is a little much. no way is he the player of the season for us. how its not RVP i have no idea.

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 08:17 PM
We can make this into a poll in this thread to see how in line the Arsenal site is with this place. I could use the top four from arsenal.com or if you want, people could nominate.

The Wengerbabies
26-05-2011, 08:17 PM
We can make this into a poll in this thread to see how in line the Arsenal site is with this place. I could use the top four from arsenal.com or if you want, people could nominate.
I nominate Almunia

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 08:19 PM
3 nominees

RVP, Nasri and Wilshere

Cant be anyone else surely?

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I nominate Almunia

Top 4 from Arsenal.com it is!

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 08:22 PM
3 nominees

RVP, Nasri and Wilshere

Cant be anyone else surely?
Yeah, I agree, but seeing as Scezney is on the list, we may as well include him. Then there are some people here that have been mentioning Sagna.

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 09:02 PM
RvP

Power n Glory
27-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Just watched Football's Greatest - Marco Van Basten. I can see why so many compare RVP with him. Scored all types of goals and just had this elegant style that was great to watch. It's a damn shame his career ended so early but at least he won a heap of trophies before he retired. Only 28 years old when he retired.

Wenger has to do his all to strengthen this club and win trophies. He's being selfish if he doesn't. You're not guaranteed a long career in football and I'm pretty sure that's in the back of the mind of some of our players. It would be a real shame if some of these players never won a major trophy. Wenger may be able to point to the Emirates as his legacy but the players need trophies and accolades.

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2011, 11:09 AM
They could do their part by concentrating less on the money and more on putting in the required graft. Not saying RvP isn't doing that, hence the unanimous support for him as player of the year here, but others could do with getting their shit together if they want trophies.

Power n Glory
27-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Agree with that but there will always be players that just aren't up to the task and Wenger has to do his best to get those players out and surround the very few special players we have with talent.

I think back to past Arsenal players like Henry and Bergkamp, especially Bergkamp and think they should have gone on to win more. The highest of honours. Dennis should have had a few Champs League medals and Ballon D'Or nominations and wins. But at least they won League and Cup honours, PFA Awards and such. They had some real special moments on that pitch. I think RVP and Cesc have had some great moments on the pitch as well, but they are playing with a poor bunch of players that can't defend.

Wenger has to build a stronger team. Not only does he owe it to the rare gems and hard grafters in the team like Cesc, RVP, Walcott, Whilshere and Ramsey, but he owes it to himself. In years to come, I don't want to be watching a 'Football's Greatest - Manager/Player/Team' and reminisce on all the great moments we've had then have it soured when they say we didn't fulfil our potential and didn't win the highest of honours. Wenger should be winning Champs League trophies back to back. Stop with all the modesty and go all out. Fans aside, players aside, he also owes it to himself.

Cripps_orig
27-05-2011, 12:19 PM
No one going for Nasri?

Hes the one who actually finished 2nd in the overall POTY awards.

Or are people not impressed that he had a good 2 months and did f all for the rest of the season?

Cripps_orig
27-05-2011, 12:22 PM
It's time to announce the Arsenal.com Player of the Season - as voted for by the fans.

And the winner is... Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere).

The 19-year-old enjoyed a meteoric rise in 2010/11, starting the campaign on the fringes of the Arsenal side and ending it as a regular for club and country.

Jack received 41.4 per cent of the votes in our poll. Here, Arsenal.com reporter Chris Harris gives his verdict on the young midfielder.

“The thing that is different about Jack is that he is very consistent. You hardly ever see him have a bad game. We have got lots of players in the Reserves that are very good players, in my opinion even as good as Jack on their day. But they don’t have that day as often and that is where the difference is."

Of all the tributes paid to Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) in recent months, perhaps the most telling was that one from Emmanuel Frimpong (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/emmanuel-frimpong).

The midfielder is nine days younger than Wilshere, has grown up alongside him at Arsenal, won the Youth Cup with him two years ago and has designs on a first-team place of his own in the not-too-distant future.

But like all of the talent bubbling under at London Colney, Frimpong needs to produce the goods week-in week-out to emulate his friend. Because it's consistency, as much as quality, that has transformed Wilshere from a promising youngster into a mainstay for club and country.

Samir Nasri (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/samir-nasri) was Arsenal's stand-out performer before Christmas. Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie) was a class above in the New Year. But Wilshere was exceptional from August to May, a midfield metronome for all seasons.

It's hard to believe how far Wilshere has come in such a short period. This time last year he was, in Arsène Wenger's words, "completing his footballing education" with a loan spell at Bolton. The Reebok was perhaps an unlikely finishing school but it hardened Wilshere and gave him valuable time in the centre of the pitch after starting his Arsenal career on the flank.

Even so, if there had been a betting market for Arsenal's Player of the Season in 2010/11 you could probably have named your price if you were backing Wilshere. He was still only 18, for heaven's sake, and Wenger had a battery of midfield talent at his disposal.

That all changed in pre-season. Wilshere was practically an ever-present and his stock climbed again when Fabio Capello handed him his international debut against Hungary in August - partly due to the teenager's promise, partly a reaction to England's World Cup woes and the demand for a 'new generation' to be given its head.

Wilshere did well in his brief Wembley cameo and his next opportunity was just around the corner: a starting place on the opening weekend of the Premier League season at Liverpool.

Perhaps he would not have featured that day had Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) or Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song) been fully fit, but Wilshere did not look out of place and gave Steven Gerrard and company a run for their money during the hour he spent on the Anfield pitch.

You might have expected the youngster to take a back seat after that. But Wenger picked him again. And again. And again. And as the weeks and months unfolded, it became increasingly obvious - Wilshere was a bonafide Premier League player and deserved his place in the team.

His position helped his development. Wilshere emerged through the ranks as an advanced, goalscoring midfielder, but for the first team he was deployed in a deeper role alongside Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song). It gave Wilshere a chance to see the play in front of him, allowing him to pick his passes and choose his forward runs carefully.

That partly explains why the goals that littered his climb through the youth ranks have dried up. Wilshere did score against Shakhtar Donetsk and Aston Villa but he may need a positional tweak as well as the experience that brings calmness in the penalty area to get back among the goals.

It's hard to pick holes in any other area of Wilshere's game. He is a tenacious tackler, a wonderful passer - remember his assist for Nicklas Bendtner (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/nicklas-bendtner) against Ipswich? - and can drift past opponents with a drop of the shoulder. What's more, he's got bottle and lots of it. When the chips are down Wilshere lifts his team - whether he's in the Nou Camp or the local park.

The 19-year-old admitted that he had exceeded his own expectations in 2010/11 and no wonder. He made 49 appearances for Arsenal - more than any team-mate - and was honoured by his peers in April when the PFA made him their Young Player of the Year.

Arsenal's fans have followed suit and you cannot blame them. They love to see a genuine local talent come good and Wilshere's attitude has also won him support. He shows his emotions, he clearly loves the Club and he connects with the supporters more than most players - Wilshere has more than half a million followers on Twitter.

Our Player of the Season was clearly tiring as the Premier League finish line homed into view but his omission from the England Under-21 squad this summer should afford him a long, deserved rest.

That's just as well - Wilshere has been billed as the future of England but, more importantly, he's the future of Arsenal too.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/player-of-the-season-and-the-winner-is...

Elreactor
27-05-2011, 05:01 PM
RVP :bow:

Joker
27-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Still believe that RVP's goals masked the fact that having him as the focal point of our attack blunted our overall game. Sure, he got a lot of goals in the second half of the season, but is it worth having one player benefiting so much from a system and style that, untimately, is detrimental to the success of the team as a whole? Having said that, considering how shite everyone else was for the last three months, it probably wouldn't have mattered either way.

irishitaliangooner
27-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Has got to be Jack Wilshere.

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2011, 10:56 PM
No one going for Nasri?

Hes the one who actually finished 2nd in the overall POTY awards.

Or are people not impressed that he had a good 2 months and did f all for the rest of the season?

That and the fact he's trying to put the club over a barrel. Not sure if it's a criteria but for me the POTY needs to be committed to the club. It appears RvP is, let's see what another barren season brings on that front, and the same appears true of Jack, let's see how the board behave when the big bids start coming in. For now it has to be between those two. Jack was pretty amazing to last out 50 odd games, he definitely did a shift this year. Shame the same can't be said for most of the rest of them.

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Agree with that but there will always be players that just aren't up to the task and Wenger has to do his best to get those players out and surround the very few special players we have with talent.

I think back to past Arsenal players like Henry and Bergkamp, especially Bergkamp and think they should have gone on to win more. The highest of honours. Dennis should have had a few Champs League medals and Ballon D'Or nominations and wins. But at least they won League and Cup honours, PFA Awards and such. They had some real special moments on that pitch. I think RVP and Cesc have had some great moments on the pitch as well, but they are playing with a poor bunch of players that can't defend.

Wenger has to build a stronger team. Not only does he owe it to the rare gems and hard grafters in the team like Cesc, RVP, Walcott, Whilshere and Ramsey, but he owes it to himself. In years to come, I don't want to be watching a 'Football's Greatest - Manager/Player/Team' and reminisce on all the great moments we've had then have it soured when they say we didn't fulfil our potential and didn't win the highest of honours. Wenger should be winning Champs League trophies back to back. Stop with all the modesty and go all out. Fans aside, players aside, he also owes it to himself.

That's why I wonder if he's a winner at heart. Surely a winner does what needs to be done to succeed. A dreamer on the other hand...

Cripps_orig
06-06-2011, 01:07 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Manuel Almunia

Despite starting the campaign as the Club’s No. 1, Manuel Almunia (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/manuel-almunia) slipped behind Lukasz Fabianski (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/lukasz-fabianski) and Wojciech Szczesny (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/wojciech-szczesny) in the pecking order after missing over four months of the season through injury.

He bore the brunt of the blame for Arsenal’s shock home defeat to West Brom and a shoulder problem picked up in that match saw the Spaniard ruled out until late January.

Arsène Wenger admitted the goalkeeper could have left the Club during the transfer window but, after returning to full fitness, Almunia was thrust back into the spotlight following an injury to Szczesny against Barcelona.

As he had done the previous season, the Spaniard kept the Catalan giants at bay with a string of fine saves before Arsenal eventually succumbed to consistent Barcelona pressure.

That performance was followed by another good display against Manchester United in the FA Cup but Manuel was criticised for his part in a 2-2 draw with West Brom a week later. Then he picked up an injury during the warm-up at Blackpool at the start of April and didn’t feature for the rest of the season.

FINEST MOMENT
Manuel replaced the injured Szczesny after just 18 minutes against Barcelona in the Nou Camp and performed admirably, saving from Lionel Messi, David Villa and twice from Ibrahim Afellay. Unfortunately it was not enough to deny Barcelona a 3-1 win on the night and a 4-3 aggregate triumph.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-manuel-almunia

Finest moment in a game we lost. Bale would be proud

Cripps_orig
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Aaron Ramsey

Aaron Ramsey (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/aaron-ramsey) back in an Arsenal shirt was a welcome sight for everyone associated with the Club.

A goal against Manchester United in front of a packed Emirates Stadium, and the celebration that followed, seemingly let out 15 months of frustration and showed us all exactly what we had been missing while he recovered from a double leg fracture.

Aaron ended a nine-month wait to pull on the red and white jersey when he made his comeback for the Reserves in November and got 45 minutes under his belt.

Successful loan spells with Nottingham Forest and Cardiff aided his search for match sharpness before he returned to the Arsenal first team as a substitute against Man United in the FA Cup.

Twenty minutes at Old Trafford was followed by 56 minutes from the start against West Brom and Aaron went on to be a virtual ever-present in the ‘Cesc’ role in his captain’s absence through injury in the final weeks of the season.

The winner against Man United and a return to Britannia Stadium closed the book on his injury troubles and another boost came in the Spring when Aaron was named captain of Wales.

With a full pre-season under his belt, expect to see Aaron become a integral part of Arsène Wenger’s side next season.

SOUNDBITE
"I think I'm nearly back to where I was. The thought of the injury doesn't go through my mind at all in any game. The loan spell at Cardiff did me the world of good. Getting out there, playing and getting back into the swing of things helped me massively. Hopefully now I can just kick on at Arsenal."

FINEST MOMENT
Aaron scored the winner against Manchester United at Emirates Stadium in May to keep Arsenal’s slim Premier League title hopes alive. Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie)’s well-timed cut-back allowed him to stroke home a shot into the far corner and give Arsenal a 1-0 victory. It was Aaron’s first goal since his equaliser at West Ham in an FA Cup Third-Round tie on January 3, 2010.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-aaron-ramsey

Other than the goal v Mancs, he did f all.

He needs to step up next season

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Jack cos he went through the year, played in every competition and showed the kind of promise that we can only pray will continue to develop from here on in

RvP would have got it had he played all year or his goals helped us bag at least one trophy last season

Ramsey, still has to prove his worth, I am hoping for a the kind of year we saw from Jack, however his raw enthusiasm runs through a differnt kind of vein to Jack"s

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Laurent Koscielny

Arsenal fans voted Laurent Koscielny (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/laurent-koscielny) as Arsène Wenger’s most effective signing of 2010/11 following an impressive debut campaign.

After moving to Emirates Stadium from Lorient last summer, Laurent was thrust straight into the hustle and bustle of the English game and, despite a red card at Liverpool on his debut, he seemed take it all in his stride.

Arsène Wenger later admitted that he planned to ease his fellow Frenchman into the Arsenal side but it wasn’t long before Laurent was the Club’s first-choice centre back following Thomas Vermaelen (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/thomas-vermaelen)’s long-term absence through injury. While Johan Djourou (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/johan-djourou) and Sebastien Squillaci (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/sebastien-squillaci) alternated he was a mainstay, making 43 appearances, and his mature performances fully justified his manager’s decision.

A season of highs also included a few low points with two red cards and THAT moment in the Carling Cup Final all part of the learning process. But there aren’t many who have adapted as well as Laurent to the step up in class the Premier League demands and that can only bode well for next season and beyond.

SOUNDBITE
“I am more confident and I have realised that I have the ability to become a regular player here and do well for this club. It was not easy but I got a lot of games under my belt, learned from them, took a lot of experience and now I am feeling really good.”

FINEST MOMENT
Arsenal had been frustrated by Everton, who held a controversial lead for much of the game, until Andrey Arshavin (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/andrey-arshavin)’s volley levelled things up on 70 minutes. Just six minutes later, Laurent lifted the roof off Emirates Stadium when he thundered home a header from Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie)’s corner to secure a crucial three points.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-laurent-koscielny

Impressive debut season? :lol:

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Emmanuel Frimpong

Emmanuel seemed destined to make his mark on the Arsenal side in 2010/11 before a serious knee injury cruelly ended his season before he got his chance.

He looked a shoo-in for first-team opportunities after a pre-season that saw him feature heavily but suffered knee ligament damage on the eve of the Premier League campaign.

The injury put Emmanuel’s rise on hold for another year.

After a gruelling rehabilitation that saw him miss virtually the whole of the season he returned for the Reserves in April after eight months on the sidelines.

Having seen fellow academy graduate Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) emerge as one of the finest talents in the game during 2010/11 you wouldn’t bet against Emmanuel following in his footsteps next season.

SOUNDBITE
“It’s been hard over the last [eight] months because I was doing well. You want to be out on the pitch and showing what you can do. I was going to go on loan [last summer] but then the boss said he wanted me to stay and be part of the team. It was just unfortunate that I got injured. I think being injured for so long can only make me stronger.”

FINEST MOMENT
Coming off the bench to complete 22 minutes for the Reserves to mark his return from the serious knee injury he suffered towards the end of pre-season.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-emmanuel-frimpong

Why would you have a player review of someone who did f all during it?

Flavs
07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Sagna by a mile

Niall_Quinn
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-laurent-koscielny

Impressive debut season? :lol:

He's not Silvestre or Cygan therefore he is a top player. By our standards.

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Cygans better imo. Made far less mistakes and he was never first choice for us

And Silvestre whilst shit for us was better at Kozzas age than Kozza was

Xhaka Can’t
07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I won't have a bad word said about Cygan. He was a professional that always worked hard in whatever position Wenger asked all the while knowing it didn't matter what he did because as soon as whoever he was providing cover for was fit or the match was deemed important enough for them, Cygan would either be on the bench or playing in a different position.

I had the privilege of being there when he scored his brace and experience the surreal nature of his hero's welcome from Villareal supporters as I was in Spain when he signed for them.

Pascal Cygan :bow:

Injury Time
07-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I won't have a bad word said about Cygan. He was a professional that always worked hard in whatever position Wenger asked all the while knowing it didn't matter what he did because as soon as whoever he was providing cover for was fit or the match was deemed important enough for them, Cygan would either be on the bench or playing in a different position.

I had the privilege of being there when he scored his brace and experience the surreal nature of his hero's welcome from Villareal supporters as I was in Spain when he signed for them.

North Bank bouncing to "Walking in a Cygan Wonderland!" looked like he was going to explode with the smile on his face, bless him although usually "He's bald, he's shit he plays when no one's fit...." did apply

Sirjackofwilshere
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
^ :lol:

Got to be Wilshere...been consistently very good with some outstanding displays...but yeh Sir Jack for his consistency....and not that mentioned but he only got injured once (with England) and missed no games through injury....reckon its down to his stocky physique...:bow: :bow:

hymppi
07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
wilshere for me, young lad played like a seasoned pro. got bit jammy at the end of the season but so did everyone else. the second best was robin.

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 06:15 PM

The Fulham game we won 4-1. :bow:

I was there too.

Didn't think Cygan was great but he did a good job when called up on.

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 06:36 PM

This.

His best game imo was the away game v Roma.

Henrys hat trick rightfully got the plaudits but Cygan at the back was immense.

That overhead goal line clearance :bow:

Kano
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Kos done ok this season and cygan was toilet

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't see much of a difference really between Cygan's first season and Koscielny's. Both made several fuck ups which fans tarred them with, both also had many decent games as well.

Kano
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
cygan only played 15 games in the Prem and Kos double that. cygan should've had the benefit of the experience around him but it rarely showed whilst Kos had to be the leader in his first season in the middle. only stepanovs made him look good.

pascal was another poor defensive signing and Kos will either make or break it next season. so far so ok.

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Cygan's chances were severely limited in comparison.

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
January 2006

Arsenal v Man Utd

Cygan playing at left back up against Ronaldo.

Everyone on 606 expected a slaughter

And we sure saw one. Ronaldo didnt have a kick as the game ended 0-0 and Cygan was awesome.

What a man, what a player. Very disrespectful to compare Koscielny to him

IBK
08-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Ehem - Koscielny against Barcelona, February 2011?

milla
08-06-2011, 09:02 AM
January 2006

Arsenal v Man Utd

Cygan playing at left back up against Ronaldo.

Everyone on 606 expected a slaughter

And we sure saw one. Ronaldo didnt have a kick as the game ended 0-0 and Cygan was awesome.

What a man, what a player. Very disrespectful to compare Koscielny to him

Cripps, the ruler and protector of all seven WUM Kingdoms, the one and only true WUM King. :bow:

The Wengerbabies
08-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't see much of a difference really between Cygan's first season and Koscielny's. Both made several fuck ups which fans tarred them with, both also had many decent games as well.
Thing is Cygan was only ever back up he would come in and do a job, not always very well but he was a decent back up. Koscielny on the other hand is supposed to be first choice yet is worse then Cygan, highlights our regression tbh.

Cripps_orig
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Jay-Emmanuel-Thomas

For a second successive year, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/jay-emmanuel-thomas) was heavily involved in Arsène Wenger’s pre-season plans as the manager cast his eye over the highly-talented youngster.

A goal in Arsenal’s 6-5 victory over Legia Warsaw suggested he was ready to step up to the first team but it was to be the Reserves where his season began.

The midfielder turned heads with some spectacular goals, including an outrageous individual effort against Everton, and hit the net an impressive ten times in nine starts for Neil Banfield’s side.

Despite his superb form for the second-string, Emmanuel-Thomas found first-team opportunities limited with just four substitute appearances, including a late cameo against Chelsea in the Premier League, to his name.

He joined Championship side Cardiff in January with Dave Jones’ side pushing for automatic promotion and went on to make 16 appearances for the Bluebirds, scoring twice.

His talent is clear for all to see and 2011/12 could be the season that this gifted individual fulfils his huge promise.

SOUNDBITE
“I think I can offer the first team something different. There is no one that plays exactly my style.”

FINEST MOMENT
His self-confidence was summed up by a moment of magic against Everton reserves. In one graceful swooping motion, Emmanuel-Thomas beat two defenders with an outrageous piece of skill before finishing with aplomb.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-jay-emmanuel-thomas

Time we sold him. He never will get a chance here

Cripps_orig
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Henri Lansbury

Scoring a goal at White Hart Lane in your first North London derby isn’t a bad way to announce yourself to the Arsenal fans and that’s exactly what Henri Lansbury (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/henri-lansbury) did on his full debut for the Club.

The young midfielder netted the opening goal against Tottenham and played a pivotal role in a 4-1 win the Carling Cup to endear himself to supporters on the big stage and show that he can cut it at the highest level.

Lansbury linked up with the first team on a more regular basis than in recent seasons but, despite his obvious hunger to force his way into Arsène Wenger’s plans, further opportunities were limited.

He joined Norwich on loan in November and went on to play a key role in helping them win automatic promotion from the Championship to the Premier League.

Initially joining on a short-term deal, the midfielder was an instant hit at Carrow Road and had the stint extended to January following some sparkling displays.

The loan was again extended, this time until the end of the season, at the end of January and he continued as an active member of Paul Lambert’s side, making 24 appearances, as the Canaries secured a return to the top flight.

SOUNDBITE
“To come in against our rivals and score is a dream. Coming here [and playing] is massive. I've had all my mates on the phone today saying ‘Are you starting? Are you starting?’. To come here and win is always a great time for the fans."

FINEST MOMENT
Lansbury opened his account for the Club with the first goal in a derby victory at Tottenham in September. He showed his delight by leaping high into the night sky at the home of the Gunners’ north London rivals.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/2010/11-player-review-henri-lansbury

No point in letting him out on loan again. Either sell him or play him

Cripps_orig
09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Abou Diaby

Abou Diaby (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/abou-diaby) enjoyed an impressive start to the season and looked set to play an influential role in Arsenal’s push for honours - but as so often his contribution was restricted by injury.

The French midfielder was troubled by an ankle problem for much of the first half of the campaign and then hurt his calf in December.

He made his comeback against Huddersfield but saw red at St. James’ Park a week later after reacting to a strong challenge from Joey Barton by shoving the midfielder to the ground. Diaby’s dismissal precipitated a dismal second half for Arsenal as Newcastle fought back from a four-goal deficit to snatch a 4-4 draw.

He returned to the side after his suspension but struggled to hold down a starting spot following the emergence of Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) and consistency of Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song). Diaby will want to re-stamp his authority on the Arsenal side in 2011/12.

SOUNDBITE
“I think that, every year, you learn from things that happened in the previous season. Each of us understands that if we want to progress and win trophies we have to work hard together all over the pitch - both when we attack and when we defend. It’s the only way.”

FINEST MOMENT
Diaby found the net twice in 2010/11 with both goals coming against Blackpool. His second, in the away fixture at Bloomfield Road, capped a fine breakaway to help Arsenal on their way to a 3-1 victory.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-abou-diaby

Time for him to go

Cripps_orig
09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Robin van Persie

No one had a better 2011 than Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie).

No one has ever scored more Premier League goals from January 1 to the end of a season and no top-flight rival has come close to his record of scoring in nine consecutive away games.

Robin came back from an arduous World Cup summer with Holland to suffer a knock and a ten-week lay-off but he performed heroics in the half-season for which he was fit.

While others tailed off in the latter part of the campaign, Robin rose to the occasion to net 18 goals in 19 Premier League starts. He became Arsenal's go-to guy while injury hampered Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) and Samir Nasri (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/samir-nasri) lost some of his early-season sparkle.

There were braces against West Ham, Wolves and Newcastle, an audacious strike against Barcelona - winner of Arsenal’s Goal of the Season - and, to Robin's delight and relief, the first hat-trick of his career, against Wigan.

Who knows what Robin, and Arsenal, would have achieved if he had been fit for the whole season.

SOUNDBITE
“If I am really honest, I was starting to think: ‘Why can I not score a hat-trick?’. I had come so close so many times. I'd scored two goals and then I hit the bar or the post. I was unlucky. It means a lot because I've been here a long time. It was about time!”

FINEST MOMENT
Robin admitted he had just about accepted that he would never score a hat-trick in English football - and then he bagged a stunning treble against Wigan at Emirates Stadium in January. He fired home his first after 21 minutes, volleyed his second just short of the hour mark and even missed a penalty before wrapping up his hat-trick five minutes from time.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-robin-van-persie

I was there for his hat trick :dance:

Arguably the last good match we had

Cripps_orig
10-06-2011, 01:19 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Ignasi Miquel

“Iggy has started the 20-yard walk between the Reserve and first-team changing room”.

That was the view of Neil Banfield after Ignasi Miquel (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/ignasi-miquel) began his pilgrimage with an assured senior debut at Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.

The highly-regarded central defender had already linked up with Arsène Wenger’s squad for cup games against both Leeds and Ipswich in January after injuries depleted Arsenal’s defensive options. After getting a taste of “where he wants to be”, Ignasi was handed his first-team bow in February and didn’t disappoint.

He made an excellent impression with a commanding display and earned high praise from Wenger. “He did enough to show that he will play in the Premier League and the Champions League,” said the Arsenal manager.

The Reserves captain was to get another chance to showcase his talent, this time at Emirates Stadium, in the replay against Orient. Again, Ignasi was faultless.

After emerging as one of the brightest prospects at the Club, the 2011/12 season promises to be another exciting one for this talented Spaniard.

SOUNDBITE
“I have to keep working and continue improving. Obviously [that’s what you’re working for], everyone here wants to be [in the first team]. Once you are there you can see how it works, I want to get there one day. It makes me want to keep working.”

FINEST MOMENT
With an assured performance alongside Sebastien Squillaci (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/sebastien-squillaci) on his debut against Leyton Orient, Miquel made an excellent first impression on the Arsenal fans.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/2010/11-player-review-ignasi-miquel

Assured performance? :lol:

Love the way the website spins everything in to a positive light. The guy was shit

Cripps_orig
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Bacary Sagna

Once again, Bacary showed just why he is regarded as one of the best right backs in the world with another consistent season in 2010/11. We were even treated to that rarest of things - a ‘Bac’ goal… twice.

For the fourth consecutive season since joining the Club, Bacary racked up 40-plus appearances and made telling contributions at both ends of the pitch.

His thunderous drive against Everton in November was the first time the defender had found the net since March 2008 but he wasn’t finished there. Another thumping effort, this time against Leeds in the FA Cup, doubled his tally for the season while a pin-point cross for Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie) at Newcastle demonstrated his ever-improving delivery from the flank.

One of the first names on Arsène Wenger’s team sheet, expect nothing less than the same high standards Sagna has set himself next season.

SOUNDBITE
"I just wanted to give everything this season and play better than I did in the two previous seasons. I was not playing well and I think some people were disappointed. I was disappointed. I just wanted to bounce back and get to my best."

FINEST MOMENT
Sagna scored his second spectacular goal of the season to double Arsenal’s lead against Leeds in an FA Cup Third-Round replay at Elland Road. Andy O’Brien’s clearance fell straight to him on the right of the penalty area and he fired a unstoppable drive into the far corner of the net.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-bacary-sagna

Was alright i guess. Needs to learn to cross though although it would help if we had some fuckers in the box

Joker
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/2010/11-player-review-ignasi-miquel

Assured performance? :lol:

Love the way the website spins everything in to a positive light. The guy was shit

The official website is worse than Pravda. Notice how they only print the reactions from Twitter when we win, and when they do pluck up the courage to do it when we lose, they only reproduce the positive messages, like "we were unlucky to lose the match" even though it's obvious to everyone with half a brain that we lost because we played shit.

The Wengerbabies
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
On a slightly related topic, did anyone bother adding up the old MOTM thread?

Cripps_orig
10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
On a slightly related topic, did anyone bother adding up the old MOTM thread?

Should get Yoss to do it...

The Wengerbabies
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Should get Yoss to do it...
:haha:

Classic.

Cripps_orig
13-06-2011, 01:45 PM
2010/11 Player Review: James Shea

A surprise ‘call-up’ to train with Fabio Capello’s England squad, a regular spot in the Reserves, an eight-day loan spell at Southampton and a place on the bench at Old Trafford - it’s fair to say it has been a whirlwind season for James Shea (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/james-shea).

The young goalkeeper had yet to represent the second string this term when he helped Capello and his players, who were training at London Colney, with their preparations for a Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria in August.

He quickly became first-choice for Neil Banfield’s Reserves and turned in some impressive displays, going on to make 11 appearances during the season. Shea provided valuable first-team back-up to Wojciech Szczesny (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/wojciech-szczesny) in the New Year with Lukasz Fabianski (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/lukasz-fabianski) and Manuel Almunia (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/manuel-almunia) sidelined by injury.

His development was rewarded with a contract extension in February.

He joined Southampton on a temporary one-month deal soon after but spent just eight days on the south coast before being recalled by Arsenal due to an injury to Szczesny. The 19-year-old was quickly drafted in as Almunia’s deputy for a trip to Manchester United in the FA Cup and took his place on the bench.

Highly regarded within the Club, expect to see Shea continue his progress with a slightly longer loan stint next season.

SOUNDBITE
“I wasn’t nervous [at Old Trafford] to be honest. I just try to see it as playing a game of football with my mates. I felt quite cool, calm and collected but it was amazing. I remember watching Arsenal versus Manchester United games when I was younger and I always thought I would love to be there one day.”

FINEST MOMENT
Shea was the first player to run out for his warm-up at Old Trafford and received a magnificent reception from the travelling 9,000 Arsenal fans before taking his seat on the bench.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/2010/11-player-review-james-shea

They are really clutching at straws with the finest moment comments on some of these players

Cripps_orig
13-06-2011, 01:47 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Andrey Arshavin

Andrey Arshavin (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/andrey-arshavin) will be the first to admit that he wasn’t at his sparkling best in 2010/11. But that’s not to say we didn’t seen glimpses of the diminutive Russian’s undoubted pedigree.

Who can forget his goal against Barcelona on that famous night at Emirates Stadium? How about the measured volley that was the catalyst for Arsenal’s fightback against Everton? Or his goal that emphatically killed off Tottenham in the Carling Cup?

While conceding that the forward at times struggled for form, Arsène Wenger was the first to defend Andrey who, pointing out that he “can always deliver something special”.

After starting the campaign well with five goals in nine appearances, Andrey suffered a mid-season dip and lost his first-team place at the turn of the year. But he still went on to rack up over 50 appearances and weighed in with ten goals from the left of Arsenal’s front three.

After a difficult winter, Andrey was back to his brilliant best in February with a crucial strike against Everton. Then against Barcelona in the Champions League he produced, as he described it, a “career-defining moment”.

If he can recapture that type of form next season, Andrey will no doubt be key to Arsenal’s challenge for honours.

SOUNDBITE
"To score against Barcelona for any player is a very crucial moment, maybe in your career. It doesn't happen a lot, especially [because] it brought a win.”

FINEST MOMENT
Never one to shy away on the big stage, Andrey curled home Samir Nasri (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/samir-nasri)'s cut-back with seven minutes remaining to give Arsenal a 2-1 victory over Barcelona and spark pandemonium inside Emirates Stadium. That strike, and the celebration that followed, will live long in the memory.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-andrey-arshavin

Play him in his right position and hes the best player in the league by quite some distance.

Cripps_orig
14-06-2011, 10:32 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Conor Henderson

After missing the first month of the season through injury, Conor Henderson (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/conor-henderson) continued his development as a regular in the Reserves and was rewarded with his senior debut in an FA Cup replay against Leyton Orient in March.

Playing on the left of the Arsenal midfield, the teenager played the full 90 minutes at Emirates Stadium and excited fans with his obvious technical ability.

Although that was to be his only taste of first-team football, Conor continued as a mainstay in the Reserves, making 13 appearances.

His only goal of the campaign was a trademark free-kick against Wolves as Neil Banfield’s second-string battled back from two goals down to rescue a point.

SOUNDBITE
“It was nice to play the whole game and it was a really nice occasion. I was a little bit nervous before we were walking out but not as nervous as I thought I would be. The players encouraged me and that really helped.”

FINEST MOMENT
Conor impressed on his first-team debut against Leyton Orient, slotting seamlessly into the team on the left flank and showing off his cultured left foot.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/2010/11-player-review-conor-henderson

Cripps_orig
14-06-2011, 10:33 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Marouane Chamakh

Before Christmas, Marouane Chamakh (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/marouane-chamakh) was being talked about as one of the best signings of the season.

Though he may have run out of steam during the second half of the campaign, his contribution in those opening few months ensured a solid start to the Moroccan’s Arsenal career.

The striker signed from Bordeaux early in the summer and took to the Premier League like the proverbial duck to water, scoring headers against Blackpool and Bolton as well as forcing a point-saving error from Pepe Reina at Liverpool on the opening weekend of the season.

Marouane led the line tirelessly in the absence of Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie) and Nicklas Bendtner (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/nicklas-bendtner) in the notoriously demanding top flight and scored ten goals in his first 17 starts - a highly creditable return given he was still getting accustomed to life in England. And all this was in addition to his unselfish, energetic front-running.

If anything, Marouane was the victim of his own success after raising expectations with a flying start to his maiden season in English football. He struggled in the New Year and Van Persie’s superb form limited his opportunities.

But expect the Moroccan to be back stronger and back among the goals in 2011/12.

SOUNDBITE
"It's gone really well with the set-up here, I hardly knew anyone when I arrived but they all made me feel very welcome. It has been easy to settle in and this has allowed me to express myself and that's very important. Personally, I'm happy. I can do better but yes, I am happy."

FINEST MOMENT
Marouane scored a brace to give Arsenal a welcome 2-0 win away at Wolves in November. He opened the scoring with a header after just 38 seconds - Arsenal’s quickest goal of the season - and sealed the victory in injury time.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-marouane-chamakh

Think he'll be much better next season. Hoping his form before Xmas is shown next season throughout the season.

LDG
14-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I actually quite like him. He showed in patches what he can do. Unfortunately I think he's a confidence player, and that's what lets him down. Maybe Bender can teach him a few things about arrogance before he fucks off.

Cripps_orig
14-06-2011, 10:40 AM
He did have a bit of a shocker after Xmas but people seem to be forgetting that he hardly played due to RVPs great form and Wengers retardness of only playing 1 up front.

Cripps_orig
15-06-2011, 08:06 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Craig Eastmond

Following his breakthrough season of 2009/10, Craig began the campaign with aspirations of cementing a place in Arsène Wenger’s squad.

His good form for the Reserves was rewarded with three first-team appearances before Christmas, including a first outing in the Champions League when he was named in the starting line-up for a Group Stage match against Shakhtar Donetsk.

Craig headed into his own net to give the hosts an early lead but recovered well and put in an assured display in the ‘holding role’ alongside Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) at the heart of the Arsenal engine room.

But opportunities proved to be limited and, after making ten appearances for the Reserves, Craig joined Millwall on loan in January.

The midfielder made his debut in a 2-0 win against Barnsley the following week but struggled to break into Kenny Jackett’s side as they pushed for a play-off place. He made four starts and two substitute appearances before his season was ended in April when he sustained a small fracture to his fibula in training.

Though places in the Arsenal midfield may be hard to come by, don’t be surprised to see Craig force his way into the reckoning at the start of next season.

SOUNDBITE
“I hope I did what Arsène Wenger wanted me to do [against Shakhtar]. I tried to put the own goal to the back of my mind and play the way I play.”

FINEST MOMENT
Craig’s performance on his Champions League debut in the hostile atmosphere of the Donbass Arena showed maturity beyond his tender years.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-craig-eastmond

One of our better young players. Hope he makes it

Cripps_orig
15-06-2011, 08:08 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Alex Song

Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song) - Arsenal’s powerful defensive force and one of the most consistent performers throughout the 2010/11 campaign.

Arsène Wenger revealed early on in the season that Alex had stepped up his efforts on the training ground and was reaping the rewards on the pitch. It would be hard for anyone to disagree.

Alongside Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere), the Cameroon international was his usual solid self in front of the Arsenal back four from August to May. He even added potency to his game with three goals in as many matches in October. A last-gasp winner against West Ham underlined Alex’s goalscoring threat when he did break his defensive shackles.

His partnership with Wilshere and the pair’s understanding would prove to be the backbone of the Arsenal side. When Alex attacked, Jack stayed back. When Jack went forward, Alex would sit deep.

A knee injury kept the midfielder out of action for the whole of March - a month that saw Arsenal eliminated from the Champions League, the FA Cup and lose ground in the Premier League title race. Make no mistake, Alex was missed.

The protection he offers the defence and his imposing presence will again be crucial when Arsenal push for honours in 2011/12.

SOUNDBITE
“I started pre-season a week earlier after the World Cup. I worked hard and it helped me a lot, and I have improved on the pitch. I think I did well last season but I really wanted to show I could do more this year, so I’ve really been pushing myself.”

FINEST MOMENT
Alex powered home a last-gasp winner against West Ham to end 88 minutes of Arsenal frustration and spark pandemonium inside Emirates Stadium. It appeared to be ‘one of those days’ for Wenger’s side before he met Gael Clichy (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/gael-clichy)’s inch-perfect cross with a diving header following a lung-bursting charge into the visitors’ six-yard box.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-alex-song

Had a bit of a shocker tbh. Time for Parker to come in

Cripps_orig
16-06-2011, 11:31 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Vito Mannone

Despite his involvement with Arsène Wenger’s first-team squad during pre-season and a penalty save against SC Neusiedl during the Club’s tour of Austria, Vito Mannone (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/vito-mannone) found opportunities hard to come by at Arsenal.

As a result he spent the second half of the 2010/11 season on loan at Hull City.

Vito joined the Championship side on a short-team deal in October and was initially expected to return to Arsenal in January. But the 22-year-old excelled at the KC Stadium and didn’t experience defeat in seven games before the deal was extended until the end of the season at the start of January.

Vito endured a two-month spell on the sidelines with a thigh injury but returned in April to help Hull to a 3-1 win over Doncaster, pulling off a series of vital saves. The goal he conceded in that victory was only the sixth time he had been beaten in more than 13 hours of football.

Hull took 21 points from the ten games the Arsenal loanee featured in before a shoulder problem ended his season prematurely in April.

SOUNDBITE
"If the boss wants to give me a chance I am ready for it. If not, I will carry on in a positive way. I am very young so I am open to everything. I didn't expect to play nine games last year. I am ready to train hard and give my best."

FINEST MOMENT
Vito made a fine save to deny Juraj Skripec from the penalty spot as Arsenal completed their Austrian training camp with a straightforward 4-0 victory at SC Neusiedi. The Italian dived to his left to make a wonderful stop.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-vito-mannone

His finest moment of the season didnt even happen during the season

Arsenal.com :bow:

Cripps_orig
16-06-2011, 11:32 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Theo Walcott

Ahead of the 2010/11 season, Theo Walcott (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/theo-walcott) vowed to “get out there and show people what he can do” following a stop-start 2009/10 and his disappointing omission from England’s World Cup squad. He certainly did that.

Theo went on to enjoy his most productive season since joining the Club and saw his game scale new heights. He was one of Arsenal’s best performers with 13 goals from 25 starts a reward for his hard work in pre-season. He demonstrated a more clinical touch in front of goal and also weighed in with numerous assists for team-mates.

Arsène Wenger continued to deploy the England international in a wide role but Theo also netted with counter-attacking bursts through the centre, notably in the Carling Cup win at Newcastle.

His good early-season form was disrupted when he hurt his ankle while on England duty and he had to settle for a place on the bench when he returned to fill fitness. But it wasn’t long before Theo’s searing pace and potency in front of goal got him back in the Arsenal side.

A clinical finish against Chelsea on a rapturous night at Emirates Stadium and an excellent performance at Upton Park, where he scored one and set up two for Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie), showed the progress he had made.

Whether through the middle or on the right wing - expect to see Theo taking his game to new levels next season.

SOUNDBITE
“I’m happy with what I’ve given to the team and think I’ve learned the game more. I’m putting in balls for people to gamble on which I think they are getting used to, so hopefully that will continue and I can keep on improving. I'll play anywhere for Arsenal but it's nice to know the manager has got hopes for me playing up front.”

FINEST MOMENT
Theo scored one goal and made another as Arsenal registered a significant 3-1 victory over Chelsea on a spine-tingling night at Emirates Stadium in December. He laid on the ball for Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) to put Arsène Wenger’s side two goals ahead before racing clear and thumping home a third shortly after.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-theo-walcott

One of our few bright points of the season

Master Splinter
16-06-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-craig-eastmond

One of our better young players. Hope he makes it

It's as if you say silly things on purpose..........

Cripps_orig
17-06-2011, 01:23 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Carlos Vela

Although we saw glimpses of Carlos Vela (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/carlos-vela) at his best, 2010/11 would prove to be a season of frustration for the Mexican who struggled to make an impression on Arsène Wenger’s side.

A sublime finish to cap a fine Arsenal move against Bolton in September and a typically classy double in the rout of Braga suggested he was ready to fulfill his huge potential. Carlos had the backing of his manager, who declared that the striker was mature enough to lead the attack, but the emergence of Marouane Chamakh (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/marouane-chamakh) meant that starts were hard to come by.

Wenger sought a temporary move for Carlos to get him games and he joined West Brom in January to continue his development and gain further first-team experience in the Premier League.

The striker scored two vital equalisers to help steer Roy Hodgson’s side to safety, netting a last-gasp leveller against local rivals Wolves and then snatching a late point in an away trip to Stoke the following week.

Arsenal fans will be hoping Carlos can get among the goals in the red of Arsenal next season.

FINEST MOMENT
Carlos came off the bench to grab a sublime double and complete the rout against Braga in the Champions League. A typical dinked finish gave him his first and Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) laid on a second as Arsenal romped to a 6-0 victory.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-carlos-vela

Time for him to go. Epitomises Wengers failed youth project

Cripps_orig
17-06-2011, 01:25 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Tomas Rosicky

Following his injury troubles of the previous two seasons, Tomas Rosicky (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/tomas-rosicky) enjoyed his longest spell in the first team for a number of months at the start of the campaign.

The midfielder played an important role in helping Arsenal remain unbeaten for the opening two months of the Premier League and also captained the side to Carling Cup successes at both Tottenham and Newcastle.

The Czech international was again given the armband against Shakhtar Donetsk and Aston Villa in the absence of Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) and played important roles in away wins over Wolves and Everton.

He continued as captain with Fabregas sidelined in December and slotted in behind the lone striker against Fulham, Manchester United and Wigan.

Tomas scored his first Arsenal goal since January 2010 when he headed his side ahead at Leyton Orient in the FA Cup and went close to giving Arsenal the lead with a low half-volley in the Carling Cup Final. The last few months of his season were disrupted by injury.

FINEST MOMENT
Tomas stooped to head home Nicklas Bendtner (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/nicklas-bendtner)'s deft cross at Leyton Orient in the FA Cup - just days after netting for his country. The strike at Orient was the Czech midfielder’s first for Arsenal since January 2010 and the nature of the strike even surprised Tomas.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-tomas-rosicky

Very talented player but not the same since his injury.

Cripps_orig
17-06-2011, 01:26 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Samir Nasri

If the 2010/11 season had finished in January, Samir Nasri (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/samir-nasri) would probably have been Footballer of the Year.

The French midfielder was simply outstanding in the first half of his third campaign with Arsenal as his game scaled new heights, thanks in part to a rare summer break following his shock omission from France's ill-fated World Cup adventure.

Samir's game has never been just about goals but his improvement in that department was striking. He found the net 14 times by the middle of January having mustered a dozen in his first two years.

And these were no tap-ins - his brace against Fulham and exquisite finishes at Manchester City, Aston Villa and Birmingham all made the shortlist when we ran our Goal of the Season poll.

When he wasn't scoring, Samir was pulling opponents this way and that with his close control and ability to carve out chances for others. Indeed, the 23-year-old assumed the mantle of Arsenal's chief creative force when Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) was laid low by injury.

The major prizes eluded Samir - both individually and collectively - but he did earn a spot in the PFA Team of the Year for his efforts in the first half of the campaign. If he can deliver the goods for a full nine months, greatness awaits.

SOUNDBITE
"I don’t care if I’m second or even the best player in the league, I would have preferred to win the Premier League. I have won nothing since I became a professional at Marseille - I have always lost in the final or finished second in the league."

FINEST MOMENT
Too many teams caused Arsenal problems at Emirates last season and Fulham looked capable of springing a surprise in December - until Samir intervened. The Frenchman opened the scoring with the coolest of finishes that left three opponents flailing. Diomansy Kamara matched that but Samir had the last word when he latched onto Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie)'s pass to slalom through two challenges, round Mark Schwarzer and squeeze the ball in from a narrow angle.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-samir-nasri

Cunt. Enough said

Joker
17-06-2011, 02:02 PM

It's as if you say silly things on purpose..........

Yeah Eastmond is just shit IMO. Whenever he's played he looks fucking useless.

milla
17-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah Eastmond is just shit IMO. Whenever he's played he looks fucking useless.

Eastmond, Randall, Denilson and Lupoli are just plain shit :good:

Master Splinter
17-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Eastmond, Randall, Denilson and Lupoli are just plain shit :good:
Lupoli hasn't been here for years :unsure:. And Randall has been released. The other two are unlikely to be here in August either.

Cripps_orig
20-06-2011, 02:05 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Kieran Gibbs

Injuries and the form of Gael Clichy (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/gael-clichy) restricted Kieran Gibbs (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/kieran-gibbs) to 20 appearances during the 2010/11 season but, from what we saw in those games, it is only a matter of time before this highly-rated left back is pushing for a regular starting spot.

After making his England debut in a friendly against Hungary in August, Arsène Wenger assured Kieran that he would get his chance in the first team. That opportunity arrived in the Carling Cup against Tottenham but injury saw him limp off with what Wenger feared was a broken metatarsal.

A scan showed no fracture but Kieran suffered yet more bad luck as he was withdrawn after just 18 minutes during the 4-0 Carling Cup win over Newcastle with another knock before being stretchered off against Partizan.

He returned to full fitness in January and enjoyed a run in the side, playing four times in cup competitions. Clichy’s consistency kept Kieran on the bench during the second half of the season but an injury to the Frenchman saw him start Arsenal’s final three games.

If he can stay injury free in 2011/12, there is no doubt the England international will be challenging to make a place on the left of the Arsenal defence his own.

SOUNDBITE
“I just want to stay injury free and stay on top of my fitness. It has been hard - I won’t lie - it’s been annoying and frustrating seeing your team play all the time, going there and limping off after 15 minutes. It’s been frustrating but I have got a few games under my belt now so hopefully I can put that behind me and keep going.”

FINEST MOMENT
Kieran made his England debut as a half-time substitute in a friendly against Hungary in August. The Arsenal defender impressed at Wembley and helped Fabio Capello’s side to a 2-1 victory.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-kieran-gibbs

Who does this for the website? Gibbs was shite last season

Cripps_orig
20-06-2011, 02:07 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Wojciech Szczesny

With the honourable exception of Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere), no one matched Wojciech Szczesny (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/wojciech-szczesny) for progress last season.

The 21-year-old wasn't even Arsenal's first-choice Polish goalkeeper when the 2010/11 campaign got underway - that honour was Lukasz Fabianski (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/lukasz-fabianski)'s - while Manuel Almunia (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/manuel-almunia) was the No 1. That spot is now Wojciech's and he will take some shifting.

The young Pole was fortunate to a degree as Almunia and then Fabianski succumbed to injuries, but the manner with which he took his opportunity struck a chord. Wojciech is not short on confidence and why not? He clearly has the potential to be a world-class keeper.

Strong, commanding, assured and blessed with superb reflexes, Wojciech looked right at home in the Premier League from the moment he made his top-flight debut - at Old Trafford of all places. Indeed, without him Arsenal would have surely lost by more than one goal that night in December.

By then Wojciech had put pen to paper on a new contract and his loyalty was soon rewarded with a run of 14 consecutive games that was only ended by a freakish finger injury in the Nou Camp.

It wasn't all plain sailing: the 21-year-old was involved in the defensive mix-up that cost Arsenal the Carling Cup at Wembley. But while other players would have been shaken to the core, Wojciech picked himself up, dusted himself off and didn't let it affect him.

That strength of character - allied to his undoubted talent - will hold him in good stead in 2011/12 and beyond.

SOUNDBITE
"A decade as No 1 is my target really, that's my goal. I would love to [do that] but I know I have a few others that want to have the No 1 shirt. I'm going to have to be at my very best to keep it. There is very good competition at the Club so I can't say there is no threat. If there is any slip-up or drop in my performance, other goalkeepers will be happy to take my place."

FINEST MOMENT
Wojciech effectively saved Arsenal from the earliest of FA Cup exits in January. Leeds led 1-0 at Emirates Stadium thanks to Robert Snodgrass' penalty and the visitors piled on the pressure in search of a second goal. They should have got it but Wojciech showed superb reflexes to push aside a close-range volley from Luciano Becchio in front of the Clock End. Buoyed by their keeper's heroics, Arsenal hit back and forced a replay with a last-ditch penalty from Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas).

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-wojciech-szczesny

Did ok but a new keeper is needed

Darth Vela
20-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I dunno, his sheer agility and size makes him very useful to us and he has the right attitude but given his inconsistency at the end of the season I'd be inclined to consider bringing someone in or even just giving Fabianski the spot again if Szczesny becomes a liability.

Cripps_orig
21-06-2011, 01:05 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Denilson

Denilson (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/denilson) missed the start of the 2010/11 campaign with a groin problem and, when he finally recovered his fitness, the meteoric rise of Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) kept him out of the team.

Deployed in a deeper role than in previous seasons, the midfielder was limited to just six Premier League starts with Wilshere and Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song) the preferred pairing in front of the Arsenal back four.

A three-match suspension for Wilshere opened the door for the 22-year-old in November and Denilson (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/denilson) impressed in back-to-back away wins over Wolves and Everton. He instigated the move that led to Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas)' goal at Goodison Park and also allowed Song to get forward and head a late winner against West Ham while in the side.

He played in all six of Arsenal’s FA Cup games as well as playing every minute of the run to the Carling Cup Final, though he was an unused substitute at Wembley.

SOUNDBITE
"It’s true [that it took time to regain my sharpness]. And after coming back late I also had to be patient, because many players were ready to play. I waited for my time and played, say, 15 minutes here and there. The boss always talked to me about how things were going and, most importantly, I’m ready to contribute fully.”

FINEST MOMENT
Denilson (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/denilson) started the flowing move that saw Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) double Arsenal’s lead against Everton at Goodison Park. The Brazilian led a breakaway and fed Marouane Chamakh (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/marouane-chamakh), who set up Fabregas to fire a snapshot past Tim Howard and put Arsenal on their way to a 2-1 away win.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-denilson

He will be missed

Cripps_orig
21-06-2011, 01:06 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Lukasz Fabianski

At the start of the 2010/11 season, Lukasz Fabianski (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/lukasz-fabianski) spoke of his determination to win over the fans after a chequered start to his Arsenal career.

The Polish stopper went on to produce his best ever form in a Gunners shirt as he briefly made the No 1 spot his own. Only injury prevented him from challenging for that spot in the final months of the season.

After starting the campaign on the bench Lukasz was the beneficiary of an injury to Manuel Almunia (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/manuel-almunia) and took his chance with aplomb, making vital saves at critical moments against Manchester City, Wolves and Everton to win the Gunners crucial points on the road.

Criticised for a handful of errors in 2009/10, Lukasz continued to turn heads with a string of solid displays. Confident, commanding and assured, he soon became a key figure in the Arsenal side.

Then, during his rich vein of form, Lukasz suffered an elbow injury in January that ended his season prematurely allowing Wojciech Szczesny (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/wojciech-szczesny) to establish himself between the posts. But if Lukasz can reproduce the form he was in, Arsenal’s two Poles look set for an intriguing tussle for the No 1 spot during 2011/12.

SOUNDBITE
"I just felt happy to be playing regularly every three days. I was enjoying that and I just want to keep working hard and keep playing as best as I can. It's not only with me, every player is like that - if he plays regularly his confidence grows and he feels more comfortable on the pitch.”

FINEST MOMENT
Marouane Chamakh (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/marouane-chamakh) may have scored twice in Arsenal’s 2-0 win against Wolves at Molineux but is was Lukasz who was mobbed by his team-mates on the final whistle. The Pole produced two sublime saves - one from Kevin Doyle and another from Christophe Berra - very late on to keep the Gunners’ one-goal lead intact before Chamakh added a second deep into stoppage time.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-lukasz-fabianski

Great game at Wolves admittedly. Bit shit otherwise.

Cripps_orig
21-06-2011, 01:07 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Gael Clichy

Gael Clichy (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/gael-clichy) retained his position as the Club’s first-choice left back in 2010/11.

The Frenchman was a virtual ever-present from August to May and was his usual reliable self on the left of Arsène Wenger’s back four. We even saw Gael double his goal tally in an Arsenal shirt with a thunderbolt of which Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie) would have been proud in the FA Cup replay against Leyton Orient.

Gael remained a dependable presence in defence but as ever he got forward too. It was his inch-perfect cross that set up an 88th-minute winner for Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song) against West Ham, while Van Persie latched onto a searching pass to score against Barcelona.

Kieran Gibbs (http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/kieran-gibbs) continued his push for a first-team spot for much of last season but Gael’s consistency kept the England international on the bench.

SOUNDBITE
"You need to be really strong at home, that's the first thing, and then be strong away from home. This year, we maybe did the opposite but we know we have the quality. To win against Chelsea the way we did and to win against Manchester United show the quality is there."

FINEST MOMENT
Gael scored his first ever goal at Emirates Stadium and only his second in 255 games for the Club when his vicious strike put Arsenal 5-0 ahead against Leyton Orient.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-gael-clichy

Bye

Japan Shaking All Over
22-06-2011, 05:30 AM
farewell to all that sailed on her

cheers Cripps that list of names would not look out of place with a wreath of red poppies laid at its foot:rose:

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 01:08 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Sebastien Squillaci

After experienced centre backs William Gallas, Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre all left over the summer, Arsène Wenger drafted in Sebastien Squillaci (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/sebastien-squillaci) to reinforce his defensive options. The Frenchman’s knowhow would prove useful.

Laurent Koscielny (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/laurent-koscielny), a fellow Premier League debutant, and Johan Djourou (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/johan-djourou) both helped to fill the gap left by Thomas Vermaelen (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/thomas-vermaelen)’s injury but it was Sebastien who led the way during the opening months of the season, marshalling the defence in the Belgian’s absence.

As with all new recruits, Sebastien took time to find his feet but he was named captain at Stamford Bridge on only his sixth appearance for the first team - recognition for a low-key but accomplished start to life in English football.

Djourou and Koscielny were the preferred central pairing after Christmas but Sebastien was on hand when called upon and even popped up with the winning goal against Stoke to keep Arsenal in the hunt for the title in February.

A shoulder injury to Djourou in March left Sebastien as one of just two fit central defenders in the first-team squad for much of the title run in, when he renewed his partnership with Koscielny.

SOUNDBITE
“I think it helped [that I was a relative unknown when I joined]. Adapting-wise, I knew that it [English football] would be physical with some good sides, playing good football. The strikers are big and strong and it is a great contrast with Spain where the strikers are faster and not so strong.”

FINEST MOMENT
On a tense night at Emirates Stadium days before the Carling Cup Final, Sebastien’s early header secured a narrow 1-0 victory against Stoke. Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) fired over a corner from the right that was touched on to Nicklas Bendtner (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/nicklas-bendtner) at the far post. He returned the ball into the six-yard box for Sebastien to nod home from close-range.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-sebastien-squillaci

Was ok before Xmas but like most, had a shocker after it. Expect better from someone as experienced as him but playing with shite like Jo Djo and Kozza will make anyone shit tbh

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 01:10 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Johan Djourou

It seems strange to talk of a 24-year-old enjoying a 'breakthrough season' but that's exactly what 2010/11 was for Johan Djourou (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/johan-djourou).

The Swiss defender made his Arsenal debut as long ago as October 2004 but, despite showing plenty of promise, his progress at Emirates Stadium has regularly been checked by injury. Knee surgery sidelined Johan for all but 28 minutes of the 2009/10 campaign and some wondered whether he would ever realise his obvious potential.

Johan allayed those concerns last season, emerging as Arsenal's most consistent centre back in the absence of the injured Thomas Vermaelen (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/thomas-vermaelen). The Swiss is still learning his trade but his height makes him an aerial force, his recovery pace allows him to sweep up effectively and his midfield background means he is technically sound.

Johan made 37 appearances in total - more than he managed in the three previous years combined - and forged an impressive partnership with new signing Laurent Koscielny (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/laurent-koscielny). The Swiss must have been doing something right - Arsenal did not lose a Premier League with him in the side between November 22, 2008 and April 24, 2011.

Last season also brought Johan his first goal in an Arsenal shirt. He soared above the Newcastle defence to head home Andrey Arshavin (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/andrey-arshavin)'s free kick at St. James' Park to give the visitors a 2-0 lead. They of course led 4-0 at half-time and it's no coincidence that the second-half collapse began after Johan had limped off with a knock.

He equipped himself well against the best when David Villa and Lionel Messi came to town and ended the season on a personal high after helping Switzerland to a 2-2 draw against England at Wembley.

Back in the international fold and back in the Arsenal red, Johan can go from strength to strength next term.

SOUNDBITE
"I sometimes took a break [from watching football when I was injured] because when you're watching games you just think 'I wish I was playing' and it's not really good for your head. It was a nightmare. I mean for a footballer, for anyone that loves what they're doing, to be unable to do the thing you love is just a handicap. That's the sort of thing you realise, how lucky you are to be living your profession. Because as a professional that's the thing you love and it makes you realise that when you're out it is difficult and how fortunate you are to be playing the game."

FINEST MOMENT
February's trip to Newcastle is one Arsenal would like to forget but it did include a milestone for Johan. He has waited a long time to open his Gunners account but soared to meet Andrey Arshavin (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/andrey-arshavin)'s free-kick and head Arsenal into a 2-0 lead.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-johan-djourou

Very average player. Should have kept Senderos and sold Djourou

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 01:13 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Nicklas Bendtnet

Nicklas Bendtner (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/nicklas-bendtner) endured a frustrating campaign in which his opportunities were limited by the arrival of Marouane Chamakh (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/marouane-chamakh) and then the return from injury of Robin van Persie (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie).

Despite spending his formative years as a centre forward, Nicklas found himself stationed on the right of a three-pronged attack but he was still among the goals.

The Dane put a long-standing groin problem behind him to return to action in September and found the net with two well-taken finishes against Newcastle and Manchester City.

Nicklas continued to have plenty of joy in his wide role and made the crucial breakthrough against Ipswich in the Carling Cup Semi-Final after drifting in from the flank. He also fired his second hat-trick in an Arsenal shirt to help see off Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.

SOUNDBITE
"I have a lot of feelings for this Club and I have been here for a long time. It’s pleasing to show the manager, every time you play, that you are ready and he can have confidence in you.”

FINEST MOMENT
Nicklas produced a moment of magic to break Ipswich's resolve in the Carling Cup Semi-Final second leg at Emirates Stadium, bringing down Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere)'s raking pass and cutting inside a defender before curving a shot into the far corner.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-nicklas-bendtner

Would like to congratulate Bendtner. From now til the end of time, whenever the queston of "who is Arsenals worst ever player?" is asked, he will be at the forefront of peoples minds.

One of the worst players of all times. Add to that his attitude and he is simply awful. If we get any money for him then its a miracle

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:47 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Thomas Vermaelen

By his own admission, Thomas Vermaelen (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/thomas-vermaelen) had a “horrible time” during the 2010/11 season.

Hoping to repeat the feats of his first campaign in English football, Thomas instead spent virtually the whole season in the treatment room.

An Achilles injury picked up on international duty in September was initially expected to keep the central defender out of action for a matter of weeks. Weeks became months and, although he eventually recovered, Thomas was then troubled by another tendon problem.

Despite having surgery to correct it, he was sidelined for the majority of the season and only returned in May. Arsenal missed him, as any team would.

Thomas’ injury problems were all the more frustrating when you think back to his revelatory first season at the Club. Now, having seen him return to first-team duty for the final two games of the campaign, Arsenal fans will look forward to seeing Thomas at his best in 2011/12.

SOUNDBITE
"It's been a horrible time but it's finished now and I am happy to be back on the pitch. My target was to be fit before the holiday and to show the boss that I am back and show him that I am sharp. That was my target and I reached that."

FINEST MOMENT
Thomas returned to the Arsenal starting line-up after eight months on the sidelines against Aston Villa at Emirates Stadium in May. He came through the full 90 minutes unscathed and completed the next step of his search for full fitness.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-thomas-vermaelen

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:49 PM
2010/11 Player Review: Cesc Fabregas

Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) has had better seasons than 2010/11 but he was as effective as ever when he did make it onto the pitch.

The Arsenal captain went into the campaign on the back of a glorious summer that saw Spain lift the World Cup and his club contributions were put on hold while he recovered from the tournament. Cesc looked as bright as ever after his rest but a series of niggling injuries restricted him to just 29 starts in all competitions.

That probably cost him a place in our Player of the Season top three but it's worth noting that no Premier League player could match the Arsenal skipper when it came to creativity. Cesc had the best 'minutes per assist' rate in the top flight.

He was among the goals in autumn, scoring four in three games including a brace against Braga as Arsenal made a flying start to their Champions League campaign. A vital strike against Chelsea followed as Cesc exerted his usual influence when it mattered most.

The captain came off the bench to rescue FA Cup ties against Leeds and Huddersfield and all seemed well when he led the team out four days before the Carling Cup Final for a Premier League game against Stoke. But 14 minutes later Cesc limped off with a hamstring problem and his absence was keenly felt at Wembley and Old Trafford as both domestic cups slipped away.

He was back in the side to face Barcelona in the Nou Camp but clearly lacked fitness and could do nothing to stop his former club from advancing into the Quarter-Finals.

Cesc finally shook off his hamstring problem for the crucial month of April but another knock - this time to his thigh - consigned the skipper to the sidelines for the rest of the campaign. A summer break and a clean bill of health should ensure we see the best of Cesc next term.

SOUNDBITE
"For me [the first leg against Barcelona was] the best game I've experienced in terms of quality and intensity. They had the ball, they went for it. We had the ball, we went for it. For me, I've never experienced a game with so much quality on the pitch from both teams."

FINEST MOMENT
Arsenal's record against the big clubs had been panned ahead of the visit of Chelsea just after Christmas but Cesc helped to silence the critics. He was a driving force throughout as the Blues' much-heralded midfield was forced back and he scored the vital second goal before setting up Theo Walcott (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/theo-walcott) for the third in a memorable 3-1 win.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-cesc-fabregas

Shit season

Cripps_orig
24-06-2011, 10:50 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Emmanuel Eboue

Emmanuel Eboue (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/emmanuel-eboue) once again showed his versatility during the 2010/11 season.

He played understudy to Bacary Sagna (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/bacary-sagna) at right back but when deployed at left back, or even in midfield, the Ivory Coast star’s enthusiasm and skill offered Arsène Wenger something different.

He deputised for the suspended Sagna against Barcelona in the Champions League and helped to keep the Catalan giants at bay in the second half on a famous night at Emirates Stadium. He again stepped in for the Frenchman towards the end of the season, against Liverpool and Blackpool.

At Bloomfield Road, Emmanuel scored his only goal of the season. He doubled Arsenal’s lead when he raced forward down the right before bursting into the area, exchanging passes with Jack Wilshere (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/jack-wilshere) and thumping past Richard Kingson from close range.

Emmanuel's relationship with the fans continued to blossom and he always showed his appreciation for their support, both at Emirates Stadium and away from home.

SOUNDBITE
"This year we have got more maturity in our team. We are so happy to have Arsène Wenger as our manager because he believes in us. We have grown up this year and have done very well.”

FINEST MOMENT
After Emmanuel’s goal against Blackpool, he threw off the celebrations of his fellow players and ran to the visiting support then kissed the badge on his shirt. It was his first Premier League goal for over two years.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-emmanuel-eboue

Eboue :bow:

Cripps_orig
24-06-2011, 10:51 AM
2010/11 Player Review: Jack Wilshere

Jack started the 2010/11 campaign as a highly-rated youngster hoping for a chance in the Arsenal first team. He ended it as a fully-fledged international, the bedrock of Arsène Wenger's midfield, the Club's Player of the Season and the PFA Young Player of the Year.

The term 'meteoric rise' is reserved for those who come from nowhere to imprint themselves on the public's consciousness and Jack did exactly that - even surprising himself with the progress he made in such a short time.

He made his international debut in August and emerged as the poster boy for a new generation of English talent in the wake of a poor showing at the 2010 World Cup. Later that month the absence of Cesc Fabregas (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/cesc-fabregas) and Alex Song (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/24021/alexandre-song) gave Jack the chance to start his first Premier League game for Arsenal - at Anfield on the opening day of the season.

That went well enough and the teenager simply went from strength to strength. He might have expected 20 to 25 appearances given Arsène Wenger's battery of midfield talent but Jack's quality and consistency made him undroppable. He wound up starting more first-team games than any other Arsenal player last term - not bad for a lad who was still learning his trade.

Wenger's decision to deploy Jack in a deeper midfield role helped him acclimatise to the pace of the
Premier League and before long he was dictating the tempo of Arsenal's forward play with his range of passing and ability to drift past opponents. Jack only scored twice - against Shakhtar and Aston Villa - but you sense that the goals will flow in time.

Jack's tenacity and loyalty - as well as his quality - made him an instant hit with the Arsenal fans and they crowned him their Player of the Season in May with 41.4 per cent of the votes cast in the Club's official poll.

The teenager has already achieved so much - but this is surely only the start of a long, illustrious career.

SOUNDBITE
“Before people would tell you that you have to do this and that when you are a pro but until you are actually there, experiencing it, you don’t realise what it means. You have to eat well, prepare well, rest well – it’s a 24/7 job – it’s not just about training and playing the games. Everything away from that is so important too. If you are not ready for every game then a top class player will take advantage of it.”

FINEST MOMENT
Jack ended up on the losing side over two legs against Barcelona but no one impressed the Catalan giants more. He went toe-to-toe with Xavi and Andres Iniesta for 180 minutes, inspiring his team to a memorable first-leg win at the Emirates before putting in a huge shift in the Nou Camp. Europe sat up and took notice.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/2010/11-player-review-jack-wilshere

Did well. Needs more end product though