PDA

View Full Version : Athletics Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 11:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/13554876.stm

Bolt is back after 10 months out and won.

Powell does what Powell does best. Choke.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Mullings and Gay just ran the same time. :lol: Mullings gets the decision though.

Cripps_orig
12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Bolt had his first 200m race for over a year recently and won piss easily.

The World Championships are later on this year.

Cant wait

Cripps_orig
19-06-2011, 08:30 PM
GB team for the 100m dropped the baton for the relays in the final of the European Team Championship.

They were massive favourites as well having broken the championship record in the semis :lol:

Cripps_orig
25-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Tyson Gay will not race in the World Championships after he pulled out of the trials with an injury so we won't see him against Bolt in the 100m or 200m. He could still make the relay team.

Justin Gatlin is also back after a 4 year ban

Cripps_orig
30-06-2011, 07:00 PM
USAIN BOLT insists he still faces a battle to hold on to his world 100 metres title this summer despite the absence of arch-rival Tyson Gay.

American Gay pulled up during the US trials last weekend with a hip injury - forcing him to miss the rest of the season.
Gay was the first man to beat Bolt over 100m since Beijing, with victory in Stockholm a year ago. He had also posted the fastest time this season with 9.79secs.
But Olympic and world champion Bolt, who has looked sluggish in his opening 100m races this season, managing a best of 9.91secs, claims he faces stiff competition from fellow Jamaicans Steve Mullings and Yohan Blake. Mullings, a training partner of Gay, set a personal best of 9.80secs earlier this month.
Bolt, who will compete over his favoured 200m in Paris next week as he warms up for the World Championships in South Korea, said: "My schedule and build up won't change.
"It doesn't mean I'm going to relax as I know and expect strong challenges from even my own team-mates in Jamaica and the Caribbean."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/3670261/Usain-Bolt-insists-he-still-faces-a-battle-to-hold-on-to-his-athletics-world-100-metres-title-this-summer-despite-the-absence-of-arch-rival-Tyson-Gay.html#ixzz1QmsfqLcw (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/3670261/Usain-Bolt-insists-he-still-faces-a-battle-to-hold-on-to-his-athletics-world-100-metres-title-this-summer-despite-the-absence-of-arch-rival-Tyson-Gay.html#ixzz1QmsfqLcw)

9.80, wtf?

What do they put in the Jamaican water?

A world record in the relays coming up

Cripps_orig
16-07-2011, 09:00 PM
BRITAIN'S track and field athletes will be banned from going to next year's London 2012 opening ceremony.

Outspoken head coach Charles van Commenee has told all his athletes that they will not be able to take part in the team parade at the spectacular event in the Olympic Stadium on July 27 next year.

It means punters who have paid up to £2,012 for top seats will miss out on seeing the likes of top stars such as Jessica Ennis, Phillips Idowu and Christine Ohuruogu.

And none of them will be able to carry the Union Jack flag at the head of the team.

Van Commenee, head coach of UK Athletics, revealed on Thursday: "I've told all the athletes they can't go to the opening ceremony.

"It's not feasible and I think they will agree with me in the end. It doesn't fit in with professional preparation for the biggest event of your life.

"They wouldn't go shopping for eight hours before the biggest competition of their life so why stand on your feet for hours at an opening ceremony. They can go to the closing ceremony instead."

Team GB members who took part in the opening ceremony for the Beijing Games three years ago were forced to stand around for hours and endure temperatures of more than 100 degrees in the stadium.

No-nonsense Dutchman van Commenee also admitted he would meet athletes later this year to advise them about the use of social networking sites such as Twitter.

It followed a Twitter row with triple-jumper Idowu, who will defend his title in South Korea next month.

Idowu controversially pulled out of the British squad for the European Team Championships in Stockholm last month with van Commenee claiming he had announced it on Twitter.

It prompted a furious response from Idowu who accused Van Commenee of being a "blatant liar".

But Van Commenee insisted: "We've both decided to leave the incident behind us. What we have in common is the World Championships in Daegu and London 2012 after that. That is what we are focused on.

"But the use of social media is on the agenda at a meeting with athletes. Personally I stick to the facts which is good advice.

"If athletes share facts rather than feelings you can't argue withe facts.

"We're not going to ban social networking. We travel with more than 100 people including staff and if you had to check on them all 24 hours a day it would be impossible.

"When you give athletes advice with good reasons they usually follow that. They are adults and I don't think sanctions or bans are feasible or will stop incidents from happening."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/3695697/Charles-van-Commenee-has-banned-Britains-track-and-field-athletes-from-next-years-London-2012-Opening-Ceremony.html#ixzz1SIvMbEsM

:doh:

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 04:04 PM
TWO fiery French runners have been suspended after having a PUNCH-UP after a race.

Team-mates Mehdi Baala and Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad came to blows after crossing the finishing line in the 1,500m in the Monaco Diamond League.

Video: Runners' brawl after race

Athletes Mehdi Baala and Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad go blow-for-blow
Sport

Baala finished ninth in Friday's race while Mekhissi, the Olympic 3,000m steeplechase silver-medallist, came in 11th - but an attempt to console each other went badly wrong.

The furore started when Baala head-butted Mekhissi who then responded by swinging his arms wildly - throwing a succession of punches at his colleague's face.

The pair were separated on the track but the row did not stop there as they exchanged strong words in the media soon after.

Baala, 32, said: "People like that don't have a their place in sport. But saying that, it's very rare to see a*******s like him."

He went on to say: "I wanted to break him in two."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/3713935/Mehdi-Baala-and-Mahiedine-Mekhissi-Benabbad-in-post-race-punch-up.html#ixzz1T8LUMAW1

:lol:

Cripps_orig
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
New world 100m champion Yohan Blake produced a personal best of 9.82 seconds to beat Asafa Powell in Zurich at the latest Diamond League meeting.

Powell, who claimed he was carrying an injury going into the race, had no answer to Blake's sparkling run - his first since taking the world title.

"Usain Bolt told me I'd win tonight but to make sure I do it sub-10 seconds," Blake told BBC Sport.

Britain's Jenny Meadows finished third in the 800m to win the Diamond Race.

Meadows, who failed to make the final in Daegu last month, finished behind world champion Mariya Savinova of Russia and feels her result in Zurich - which saw her win the prize for the season's most consistent performer - provides some consolation.

"I was so disappointed not to even make the final in Daegu so I'm happy with third. I thought I ran a good race tonight," said Meadows.

Britain's relay team made amends for their disastrous performance in the 100m relay with a narrow defeat to Jamaica.

Craig Pickering, James Ellington and Marlon Devonish handed over to Mark Lewis-Francis with a clear lead over Jamaicans before the world record-holders chased the Briton down.

Click to play
Zurich win will silence critics - Blake
"I got ran down by a Jamaican - I can't complain," Lewis-Francis said.

In the evening's other events, Cuba's Dayron Robles blasted out of the blocks to clinch the 110m metres hurdles in a time of 13.01, finishing ahead of newly-crowned world champion Jason Richardson.

Britain's Andy Turner, a bronze medallist at the world championships in Daegu last month, finished fifth in a time of 13.41.

"My body is beginning to fall apart. I'm just going to have a good rest, and come back next year stronger," said Turner.

Australia's Sally Pearson produced a technically superb run the 100m hurdles, winning in a time of 12.52.

And the promising 19-year-old Grenadian Kirani James produced a personal best time of 44.36 in the men's 400m to add to his world title.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14843366.stm

9.82? Wtf do they put in the Jamaican water?

Olympics should be good

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Diamond League Final on BBC2 at 7pm tonight

Bolt saying he wants to finish off in style

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Jeter won the women 100m

Very impressive

One to beat next year.

Dai Greene about to start his race

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Greene finished 2nd but won the Diamond league overall

Bolt ran 9.76 and won easily

Yohan Blake ran the 2nd fastest 200m ever. Only Bolt has run faster.

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Sally Pearson going in the 100m hurdles now

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Sally Pearson fell.

Hit the 6th hurdles whilst leading and went down

Looked nasty but shes up thankfully.

Some pub teamer won the race

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Oscar Pistorious finished 3rd in the 400m :bow:

He was miles behind at the last corner but came out of nowhere

2 Belgian twins came first and second

Cripps_orig
16-09-2011, 07:17 PM
If this Blake chap can get even better next year then we may well have the greatest 100m and 200m finals of all time at the Olympics

Cripps_orig
11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/15688872.stm

Good news

Olivier's xmas twist
11-11-2011, 05:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/15688872.stm

Good news

Get in

McNamara That Ghost...
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
So it's only FIFA that won't let England host something. :lol:

Cripps_orig
15-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Bolt going for 4 golds next summer

100m, 200m, 100m relay and also the 400m relay

Cripps_orig
20-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Nelson Evora the reigning triple jump Olympic champ is out of the event with injury

The road is clear for Phillips Idowu to win that gold

Cripps_orig
17-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt wants to "amaze" the world at London 2012 by running 9.4 seconds for the 100m and 19 seconds for the 200m.
Jamaican Bolt, 25, is the reigning Olympic champion and world-record holder over both distances, with times of 9.58secs and 19.19secs.
"People are looking forward to me running 9.4, 19 seconds, anything that's amazing," Bolt told BBC Sport.
"So I'm working as hard as possible so I can go as fast as possible."
Talking on the BBC1 programme 100 Days To Go, Bolt added that more performances, such as the ones that saw him take three gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, would make him "a living legend".
"They want to see my personality, me enjoying it and doing crazy stuff, but they also want to see that time," he said.
"If I dominate the Olympics, I'll be a living legend. A living legend walking around. Sounds good."

Think he can do it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17742236

Olivier's xmas twist
18-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Think he can do it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17742236

Yes. Even if he does not he still is the Best there is and what he does.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure actually, probably depends on how brave he feels getting the timing perfectly. Facepalms galore if he false starts in the final.

Marc Overmars
18-04-2012, 03:11 PM
That would be the biggest let down in history if false starts again. :lol:

Cripps_orig
18-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Its the stupidest rule in sport tbh

Marc Overmars
18-04-2012, 11:04 PM
The Beeb had a special preview on 2012 tonight, as there are only 100 days left to go. It was a good watch, had interviews with all the big names.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-04-2012, 06:20 PM
A WOMAN runner died as she competed in the London Marathon, race organisers revealed tonight.

She collapsed at Birdcage Walk, near St James’ Park, on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course, according to a statement on the marathon’s official website.

The 30-year-old competitor, from Leicestershire, was given medical attention at the scene but died this afternoon, officials added. She is the tenth runner to die since the London Marathon began in 1981.

Organisers said: “We would like to emphasise that our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them at this difficult time.”

:rose: RIP

CHARITY sponsorship for a runner who died during the London Marathon rocketed from just £500 to more than £100,000 today as news of the tragedy spread worldwide

Donations from thousands of strangers hit £150 every MINUTE and friends' tributes flooded in for Claire Squires who collapsed near the finish of the 26.2-mile event yesterday.

Claire, 30, fell as she made her way along Birdcage Walk, near St James’s Park, the final stretch of the course with the end just one bend away.

Despite immediate medical attention she could not be saved.

Claire, a hairdresser from North Kilworth, Leics, was running to raise money for the Samaritans.

As her death was reported today, thousands of people rushed to place pledges on her JustGiving page and the amount soared from £500 to more than £100,000 in just a few hours.

Claire had written as she prepared for the event: “I’m running the London Marathon for Samaritans because they continuously support others.”

Her site was today flooded by people paying tribute.

Rebecca Herity wrote: “Such an amazing girl! Miss you so much already! Beautiful angel xxx.”

Jo Lovell said: “Amazing lady!xxx.”

Andrew Robathan, Tory MP for South Leicestershire, said she died doing something she loved.

He said: “I live very close to North Kilworth, and I know a lot of people there and think I may have met her once.

“It is a tragedy, how hard for the family, awful for the family, and a tragedy for her and all her friends.

“But at the same time she was doing something she obviously loved doing.”

Claire had climbed Africa's Mount Kilimanjaro in March to raise money for the Royal Air Force Association.
Callie Wright tweeted: “RIP Claire Squires - lived life to the full. Only lady I know to take hair straightners up a mountain! xxxx RIP Bear xxxxxxxx”

A statement on the London Marathon website said: “A 30-year-old woman collapsed at Birdcage Walk, and although immediate medical attention was provided to the casualty, the fatality was confirmed.

“The organisers of the Virgin London Marathon would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.”

Claire's cause of death is not yet known.

Birdcage Walk is the last road the event runners take before reaching Buckingham Palace where they turn on to The Mall.

Yesterday’s death was the tenth since the London Marathon began in 1981. Five of the previous fatalities were caused by heart disease in runners who did not know they had the condition.

The last fatality was in 2007 when a 22-year-old fitness instructor collapsed.

www.sun.co.uk

Cripps_orig
23-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Looks like Dwain Chambers ban will be overturned

Syn
23-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Great news. We should sign him in play him on the right wing to replace our crippled sprinter.

Marc Overmars
29-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Dwain Chambers eligible for London 2012 after court ruling

Britain's former drugs cheats can compete at London 2012 after a court overturned the British Olympic Association's policy of handing out lifetime bans, BBC Sport has learned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17853070

Cripps_orig
29-04-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17853070Good

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2012, 07:44 PM
What a load of balls.

Cripps_orig
29-04-2012, 07:46 PM
They served their time. Why get punished more?

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2012, 07:52 PM
There's no telling how much of a residual effect taking steroids has, that's why. And for the Olympics, I don't think it should be allowed.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-04-2012, 07:55 PM
They served their time. Why get punished more?

Too right.

Marc Overmars
29-04-2012, 07:56 PM
There's no telling how much of a residual effect taking steroids has, that's why. And for the Olympics, I don't think it should be allowed.

Even though the roids were taken 8-9 years ago?

McNamara That Ghost...
29-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Even though the roids were taken 8-9 years ago?

Yeah. It doesn't have undoing effect and how can the organising body possibily preach and plea for fair competition in that case? And why lifted now and not years previous? It makes little sense because it also means previous competitors who might have taken steroids or some other kind of performancer enhance were denied their chance of competing in future Olympic competitions (as they won't be young enough to realistically qualify). I can understand why those 'wronged' athletes might contest it given it is a by-law set by an individual country and in lieu of that I wouldn't begrudge them competing in regular Athletic events if you like but for the Olympics, I think it should have a different burden of punishment, mainly because I still hold with high regard.

It won't happen though, universally, it just causes too many issues.

Cripps_orig
27-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Jessica Ennis breaks the British record in the Heptathlon.

Peaking too soon tbh

Syn
27-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Same for football?

Messi :rose:

McNamara That Ghost...
27-05-2012, 05:08 PM
No, he had a medical condition.

Cripps_orig
23-06-2012, 04:04 PM
GB Olympics trials on BBC 2 atm

Dwain Chambers through to the final

Cripps_orig
23-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Mens 100m final on now

Cripps_orig
23-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Chambers wins it

Hes in the Olympics :bow:

Well deserved

2 other Pub teamers also in

Cripps_orig
25-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Gatlin and Gay both qualify

Cripps_orig
27-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Mo Farah wins the 5000m gold medal in the European Championships

Lets hope he can do so next month

Cripps_orig
30-06-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18649280

Jamaican trials

Blake won it with the fastest time of the year :popcorn:

Bolt in 2nd and Powell in 3rd also through but Bolt has a genuine challenger for Olympic gold in Blake

Marc Overmars
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Bolt was beaten by Blake again, this time in the 200m.

:popcorn:

Marc Overmars
02-07-2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQNtDEhVgE

The Beebs opening title sequence. :popcorn:

Cripps_orig
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4408004/Mahiedine-Mekhissi-Benabbad-strikes-mascot.html

:lol:

Cripps_orig
03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18685730

British Athletes picked

Chambers :bow:

Hes winning the gold

LDG
12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/18780238

British sprinter Adam Gemili became the fastest British junior of all time as he won gold in the World Junior Championships 100m in 10.05 seconds.

:faint:

Syn
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/18780238

:faint:

Wasn't that long ago that anything sub-10 seconds would be considered excellent. Then Jamaica came along.

I suppose 10.05 for an 18 year old is impressive but I wonder how much faster sprinters get from that age.

LDG
12-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Wasn't that long ago that anything sub-10 seconds would be considered excellent. Then Jamaica came along.

I suppose 10.05 for an 18 year old is impressive but I wonder how much faster sprinters get from that age.

I guess it's more technique from then on, as apposed to natural speed. But being joint 6th on the all-time list of under-20's is a good yardstick.

Of course, he'll never compete with Bolt et al, but still a good start.

The Wengerbabies
12-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Bolt will retire from sprinting after next years World Championships.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2012, 12:02 AM
BRITISH Olympic long-jump hero Greg Rutherford is planning to run the 100 metres at a top athletics meeting next month.
Rutherford is the first British man to take the Olympic long jump title since Lynn Davies in 1964.
The 25-year-old won with a leap of 8.31m on Super Saturday when he, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah all won gold within 44 minutes of each other in the Olympic Stadium.
But the Milton Keynes jumper wants to follow in the footsteps of legends such as Carl Lewis and Jesse Owens, who were also 100m stars.
Rutherford, whose success in the sandpit came after he adopted Lewis’ take-off technique earlier this year, is now planning to compete in the 100m B race at the Diamond League meeting in Brussels on September 7.
He has run 10.2sec in the past and has told pals he would one day love to compete for the British team over 100m or in the 4x100m relay.
It comes days after Olympic 100m and 200m champion Usain Bolt revealed he may consider the LONG JUMP in 2016.
Rutherford will be back for the first time since London 2012 at the Birmingham Grand Prix on Sunday August 26.
He will take on America’s Olympic TRIPLE JUMP champion Christian Taylor, who will compete in the long jump for the first time in Europe since 2008.
The two gold medallists will be joined by Australia’s Mitchell Watt, who Rutherford beat to gold in the long jump, as well as Britain’s Chris Tomlinson. Despite specialising in the triple jump, Taylor holds a respectable 8.19m long jump personal best and narrowly missed out on a position in that event at London 2012.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4487723/Greg-Rutherford-100m-plan.html#ixzz23ZITTARM

Getting too big for his boots?

Marc Overmars
15-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Well he used to be a 100m runner as well as a long jumper but decided to focus on the latter. No harm in giving it a go to see what times he can rack up.

GP
15-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Well he used to be a 100m runner as well as a long jumper but decided to focus on the latter. No harm in giving it a go to see what times he can rack up.

White sprinters :lol:

Letters
15-08-2012, 09:04 AM
White sprinters :lol:
Alan Wells :bow:

Cripps_orig
17-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Diamond League about to start on the red button

Not sure if any of the big name atheltes are there

Worth a watch though

Cripps_orig
17-08-2012, 06:03 PM
400m hurdles on

Felix Sanchez is there :bow:

As is Angelo Taylor

No Greene

Cripps_orig
17-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Tinsley wins it whoever he is

Sanchez in 2nd

Gordon 3rd

Cripps_orig
18-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Olympic silver medallist Christine Ohuruogu was third in the 400m on her return to action at Friday's Diamond League meeting in Stockholm.
American Sanya Richards-Ross, who beat the British athlete to London 2012 gold, won again in 49.89 seconds.
Several of Great Britain's Olympic athletes were on show, with Shara Proctor fourth in the long jump.
Adam Gemili was fifth in the 100m, while Rhys Williams finished sixth in the 400m hurdles.
Holly Bleasdale, meanwhile, was seventh in the pole vault and Laura Weightman eighth in the 800m.
Ohuruogu, 28, finished in 50.77secs, behind Richards-Ross and Botswana's world champion Amantle Montsho.
World junior champion Gemili, who just missed out on the men's 100m final at the Olympics, ran 10.22secs in a race won by Ryan Bailey of the United States - fifth in London - in 9.93secs.
There were 11 Olympic gold medallists in action, with six of them winning in Stockholm.
In addition to Richards-Ross in the women's 400m, Christian Taylor of the United States won in the men's triple jump, Russia's Yuliya Zaripova in the women's 3,000m steeplechase, Sandra Perkovic of Croatia in the women's discus, New Zealand's Valerie Adams in the women's shot put and Russia's Anna Chicherova in the women's high jump.
Three more finished second in their events, with Felix Sanchez of the Dominican Republic beaten by American Michael Tinsley in the men's 400m hurdles, Tomasz Majewski runner-up to Reese Hoffa of the United States in the men's shot, and Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi - the Olympic 1500m champion - beaten by Mohammed Aman of Ethiopia in the men's 800m.
Two other Olympic champions were surprising flops, with Brittney Reese of the US ninth in a women's long jump won by Russia's Yelena Sokolova and another American, Jennifer Suhr, failing to register a height in the women's pole vault as Cuba's Olympic silver medallist Yarisley Silva triumphed.

Nothing to get excited about

Cripps_orig
23-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Blake with a 9.69 in the 100m

Bolt with a 19.58 in the 200m

Bring on Moscow next year

Cripps_orig
25-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Mo has twin baby girls :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Usain Blake is running in the 100m, according to Gabby Logan.

Gets under way soon, Bolt is running in the 200m at about 8:15.

Rudisha was beaten in the 800m. The track is sodden though.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Gay false starts. :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Blake wins with a 9.76. :blink:

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Time for Yohan Bolt.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Bolt wins with a 19.66. :lol:

Kano
31-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Been a while since I watched a good few high jump comps like those recently. good amount of respect between them all too. Last meet next friday i think.

Kano
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
great turn out - 50,000 in Brussels for this meet.

Kano
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
so bolt in the 100 and blake in the 200

Kano
07-09-2012, 06:27 PM
merrhtt breaks the 1q0m hurdle world record 12.80

McNamara That Ghost...
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Crazy bastards.

Cripps_orig
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19558141

bye

Olivier's xmas twist
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
19.54 blake, standard win

Never knew you were an athletics freak like me lol.

Kano
11-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Never knew you were an athletics freak like me lol.

always watched it since i was a kid but of course the olympics has put it in the forefront of my mind. i will try and see as much of the whole season toward the world championships, indoor as well. should be able to find it on streams and hopefully bbc/ch4 show more next year too.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
always watched it since i was a kid but of course the olympics has put it in the forefront of my mind. i will try and see as much of the whole season toward the world championships, indoor as well. should be able to find it on streams and hopefully bbc/ch4 show more next year too.

Yeah i love it can't wait till the World champs either.

Cripps_orig
30-12-2012, 02:19 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4718186/Mo-Farah-held-in-US-terror-bungle.html

Yanks :doh:

BBC :doh:

Queen :doh:

Cripps_orig
15-06-2013, 10:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22919193

Check Bolt asap

Cripps_orig
20-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Blake will not run in the 200m at the World Championships

Kano
07-07-2013, 08:51 PM
bolt clocked the fastest 200 of the year yesterday, it was pretty easy going as usual.

34 days to go to the Worlds.

Cripps_orig
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
But before that, it's the London anniversary games

Kano
07-07-2013, 10:34 PM
got start line tickets for that but might end up flogging them.

Cripps_orig
12-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Ennis is a doubt for the world championships.

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 01:32 AM
James Dasaolu becomes the 2nd fastest Brit ever with a time of 9.91 in the 100m

Only Linford Christie has run faster

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Tyson Gay tests positive for a banned substance :doh:

Has pulled out of the world championship

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2013, 04:08 PM
What an idiot.

Kano
14-07-2013, 04:18 PM
what a fool. i was surprised he was looking so good this year and now we know why. he always seemed like a decent smart guy too. at least the authorities are pretty quick now.

bolt, blake and gatlin for top three, probably that order in 100m.

GP
14-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Gay :lol:

GP
14-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Also, Bolt is DEFINITELY on drugs.

Rors
14-07-2013, 06:07 PM
The PA are saying Powell too. Oh dear....

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 06:19 PM
"I don't have a sabotage story... I basically put my trust in someone and was let down," said Gay, 30.
"I made a mistake. I am pulling out of Monaco (this week's Diamond League meeting) and the World Championships."
Gay said he could not divulge the substance or how the positive test occured, adding: "I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now.
"I hope I am able to run again, but I will take whatever punishment I get like a man."

His career is over

Rors
14-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Powell confirmed. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913#TWEET821341 FFS

Kano
14-07-2013, 07:15 PM
and powell was still not performing that well :lol:

what a mess.

Xhaka Can’t
14-07-2013, 07:43 PM
What an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uSeuYyPDBQ

Ollie the Optimist
15-07-2013, 05:18 PM
If Powell and gay have been doping rather taking it by mistake etc, how much better does this make bolt? Gatlin, gay. Powell all taking drugs (allegedly) and they still can't beat bolts time who is clean.

GP
15-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Assuming Bolt IS clean.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-07-2013, 05:35 PM
More inclined to believe Bolt is clean due to his massive stride but then I defended Armstrong on GW 1.0 so what do I know? :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-07-2013, 01:28 PM
India top the doping list by the IAAF apparently. :bow:

Cripps_orig
17-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Blake out of the world championships with injury.

Could quite well be the worst event of all time

Kano
17-07-2013, 10:19 AM
jesus christ. and it's in moscow.

bolt to run the final backwards.

Özim
17-07-2013, 10:19 AM
100m is going to be awful, it's basically Bolt against some nobodies.

Real shame for the sport.

Kano
17-07-2013, 10:22 AM
so it's bolt...gatlin....and no one else tbh.

Ollie the Optimist
17-07-2013, 11:23 AM

i think sport would rather have ten clean atheletes racing in it then a lot of doped up atheletes who then test posistive, and the race result has to be changed afterwards. thats a real shame for sport

Cripps_orig
17-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Pretty much.

It's the race for silver and bronze that will be competitive.

Cripps_orig
19-07-2013, 07:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23371204

Another Jamaican athlete fails a drug test

Niall_Quinn
19-07-2013, 07:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23371204

Another Jamaican athlete fails a drug test

What's the point asking Jamaicans to take drug tests?

GP
19-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Just a matter of time for the likes of Bolt and Ronaldo.

Cripps_orig
21-07-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23326189

GBs squad for the world championship

Cripps_orig
31-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Ennis is out and interest has died

Cripps_orig
09-08-2013, 10:15 PM
World Championships start tomorrow

Rors
10-08-2013, 02:45 PM
No Chicken George this year? :( Instead we have Lewis, Jackson, and Radcliffe. Deep joy.

10,000metres coming up.

Rors
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
"Mo trying to feed off the crowd". Tricky considering there isn't one...

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Come on Mo. :bow:

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
He nearly tripped over then :lol:

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
"He can win it from here". You mean in front Foster? Yes, that's a fair bet I'd say... :rolleyes:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Last lap!

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes!

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
MO WINS!!! :bow:

Niall_Quinn
10-08-2013, 03:25 PM
He had to work for that. Good race.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Yup, closest one he has been involved in I would say.

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Even with 80m to go I thought Jeilan was getting there. Phew!

Mo :bow:

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Kenyan National Anthem. Never really gets going...

Niall_Quinn
10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
If Logan is going to jump up and down like that she should at least have the decency not to wear a bra.

Rors
10-08-2013, 03:46 PM
With no Johnno, we get the likes of "Mo's really happy". Jeez laweez...

Rors
10-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Johnson joining the team on Monday :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 04:31 PM
He should be there now, the moran.

George. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Bolt's 100m heat is on soon.

Rors
10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Here comes Bolt. Unfortunately not competing in a sack, or with an egg on a spoon held out in front of him :(

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 04:58 PM
False start. Bolt very close to repeating two years ago...

Rors
10-08-2013, 04:59 PM
A jog :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Bolt walks it with a 10.07.

Cripps_orig
10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Mo :bow:

Between him and Muzza for SPOTY.

Cripps_orig
10-08-2013, 10:37 PM
100m final at 18:50 tomorrow.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Women's 100m heats just finished

All the big guns through.

Jeter looked a bit shaky.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Coverage of the evening session started on BBC1

100m semis and final on this session

Rors
11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
"Or you can just literally leg it". For the love of god Jackson...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
First heat for the 100m semi on in 5 mins

Bolt goes in the last heat

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Gatlin going in this heat.

Some Brit pubber also in this

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
False start

Chinese dude is gone

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Gatlin runs a 9.95.

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM
You weren't joking about him being a pubber...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Gatlin wins it in 9.95

Carter also through

Brit pubber finished last

Rors
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Harry finishes as dead last as dead last can be. At least he isn't glossing over it in this interview. Not sure we didn't "see the real Harry" though.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Dasolou going in the 2nd heat

My first look at this pubber

Lemaitre also in this

As is the legend Chambers

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
The British guy could do with bulking up a bit, all the top sprinters are muscle bound.

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Somebody score some drugs for chambers.

Rors
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Even without the other stuff, Chambers is an utter utter tool.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Chambers runs further than anyone else on the false start to make it seem like he was leading.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
His name can't be Smellie.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Why has that smelly dude not been dq'd like the Chinese dude?

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Even without the other stuff, Chambers is an utter utter tool.

Bit harsh.

One 'utter' would have sufficed.

Rors
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Bit harsh.

One 'utter' would have sufficed.

There was I thinking I scrimped on the "utter"s...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Dasaolu had a great start.

Flopped at the end

Rors
Jimmy D might just sneak in with that time.

And yes, the false start thing needs clarification. Sounds familiar that, doesn't it?

Niall_Quinn
Good run by dasaolu. Run out by the druggie Jamaicans right at the end.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Proctor jumps 6.79m in the long jump.

In silver position atm

Rors
And here he is. At the KP/Rees-Mogg/Little Mickey/Holloway level, "for me".

McNamara That Ghost...
Mechanics not quite right. Yes, that must be it.

Niall_Quinn
Dwaine has no idea why he didn't do better. Everyone else does though.

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
There was I thinking I scrimped on the "utter"s...

You've convinced me...

Rors
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Bolt wants...the WWE title? :wacko:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Rodgers trying to psyche Bolt out. :haha:

Rors
11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
In your own time Bolt...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Bolt wins it.

Looked to be struggling

Cripps_orig
Dasaolu is in the final

Niall_Quinn
9.93 at a cruise for bolt. Looked tight at the start though. Four Jamaicans in the final. Not bad for a tiny island, must all be raw talent.

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Jackson seems a bit pissed bolt had to work for it. Little bit hero worship gone wrong.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
So barring false starts, Bolt wins the gold, Gatlin takes silver.

The race is for bronze.

Carter the favourite?

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
So barring false starts, Bolt wins the gold, Gatlin takes silver.

The race is for bronze.

Carter the favourite?

Theo will win it.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:31 PM
800m heats now.

Brit pubber in this

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Some Kenyan dude changed his name to ferguson cos he's a manc fan

Moyes :haha:

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Brit finished 4th and us through.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Arnold Rimmer in the next heat

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Wtf has happened to British middle distance running?

Bar Mo of course :bow:

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Ohuruogu going on the 400m semis soon

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Quite a lot of men running in the women's 400m

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
British bloke wins second heat of women's 400 with sub 50 seconds. Harsh on the women. Another victory for the men in the first heat.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Ohuruogu wins her heat in the same exact way she wins every race I've seen her race.

Shit 300m but goes crazy in the last 100

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Proctor in long jump bottles it again

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Proctor in long jump bottles it again

She has an American accent so who cares?

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Fair point.

Raining now.

Bolt to slip and Dasaolu to bring home the gold.

It's on

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Is there a more boring event in athletics than long distance running?

Some chick called Brutus the barber beefcake is regarded as the best in the world in the 10,000m run

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Is there a more boring event in athletics than long distance running?

Some chick called Brutus the barber beefcake is regarded as the best in the world in the 10,000m run

Yes, Seb Coe speaking.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Beefcake wins.

Time for the main event

Rors
11-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Here we go then...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Dasaolu is in lane 2

Gatlin in 5 and Bolt in 6

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Bolt wins in 9.78

Gatlin gets silver

Forgot to check bronze

Rors
11-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Even when down two-tenths of a second on previous times, still no contest...

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Carter got bronze.

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Dasaolu last :lol:

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Wonder who will win the relay?

Rors
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
"He didn't have the best of starts" Are you new here, Jackson?

Cripps_orig
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I remember the days when Bolt finished last in world championship finals

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
I remember the days when Bolt finished last in world championship finals

He trained very hard.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Bolt. :bow:

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Dai Greene through to the semis despite finishing 5th as some guy was disqualified ahead of him.

He's a bit shit

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Women's 100m semis on ATM

Brit pubber finished 7th in the first heat

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Jeter wins the 2nd heat

English Gardner, a yank was the favourite for that but flopped at the end to finish 3rd and outside the automatic qualifying places

English :pal:

Most importantly, Michael Johnson is back :bow:

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Fraser Pryce and Stewart also through.

Gardner through as a fastest loser.

Final should be good

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Bolt getting his medal now. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Ohuruogu in the Women's 400m final soon.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
I think Ohuruogu takes it right on the line!

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Photo finish

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:21 PM
She does it

Simply awesome

GB record as well

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:22 PM
And she does take it. Montsho can't believe it. :lol:

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Would Ohuruogu be the greatest 400m runner of all time if she had a decent first 300m?

The last 100, she has bolt like speed.

Reckon she can take Bolt tbh.

110m final now

There's a Brit in this

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:34 PM
David Oliver wins it

Haven't heard of any of these pubbers.

Where's Robles or Xiang?

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Sharman finished 5th

Time for the main event

Fraser Pryce v Jeter :popcorn:

It's usually better than the men's 100s

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
German dude wins the pole vault ahead of the French Olympic champion.

Germans :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Here we go. :popcorn:

McNamara That Ghost...
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Fraser-Pryce wins by a mile!

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Drug test her immediately.

Cripps_orig
12-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Ohuruogu medal ceremony on now

Cripps_orig
13-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Greene is out

Merritt walked the 400m final. James finishespd 7th :lol:

Couple of Brit pubbers in the women's 400m final

Cripps_orig
14-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Rutherford fails to qualify for the long jump final :haha:

The feel good factor is truly dead from the Olympics.

Only Mo can save us now

Özil's Panoramic View
14-08-2013, 12:06 PM
any stream to this?

Cripps_orig
14-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Not today

Özil's Panoramic View
14-08-2013, 12:18 PM
ok.

Marc Overmars
14-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Rutherford. :lol:

What a chump.

Cripps_orig
14-08-2013, 12:30 PM
ok.

Athletics are over for today. No evening session

Özil's Panoramic View
14-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Athletics are over for today. No evening session

figured that's what you meant.

GP
14-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Rutherford. :lol:

What a chump.

It's funny because he's ginger.

GP
14-08-2013, 06:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/A7rd86p.jpg

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 03:09 PM
GB 400m relay through to the final

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 04:17 PM
The Brit pubber who won bronze last year n the high jump fucks up.

The height he won bronze with last year has been passed by nearly everyone.

What a poor quality high jump it must have been last year

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Kemboi wins Men's 3000m steeplechase. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Women's 400m Hurdle final now. Shakes-Drayton and Child are in this.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Come on Brit pubbers

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Brits have a mare.

Rosicky's wife wins. :bow:

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Shakes-Drayton finishes 7th

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Men's 400m hurdles up now

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 05:01 PM
What a finish. :blink:

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Very close race between 2 pubbers

Sanchez and Culson the only 2 I had heard of nowhere near

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Women's 1500m is the final event for the day

Hannah England in this.

She won silver last time round. Not expected to come close this year

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Bondarenko has one last attempt for the WR in the men's high jump. Already has gold.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 05:23 PM
He can't do it though.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Came close first 2 jumps.

Not close in the 3rd

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Last lap. :popcorn:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Aregawi of Sweden wins!

Cripps_orig
15-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Aregawi wins it

England wins the 4th place trophy

Cripps_orig
16-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Mo Farah going for gold this afternoon.

Men's 200m were this morning. Bolt got through as did a couple of GB pubbers

Syn
16-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Isinbayeva's overcompensating. She's definitely a homo.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-08-2013, 02:55 PM
FRIDAY'S HIGHLIGHTS

Now back to what's coming up - more highlights than at a Vidal Sassoon convention:

1605 BST: Men's 1500m semi-finals - Briton Chris O'Hare made it to the second round, but it'll be a miracle if he makes the final. Kenya's Nixon Chepseba and Asbel Kiprop and Djibouti's Ayanleh Souleiman are the ones to watch.

1630: Men's long jump final - there are unlikely to be any Mike Powell 8.95m-efforts, but expect a decent shoot-out between Spain's Eusebio Caceres, home favourite Alexander Menkov and Mexico's Luis Rivera, who has leapt to 8.46m this year - the world lead. Olympic champion Greg Rutherford failed to qualify.

1640: Men's 200m semi-finals - as mentioned, Usain Bolt and Adam Gemili are in this. Can Gemili go sub-20? South Africa's Anaso Jobodwana looked good in qualifying. Watch out for Jamaica's Warren Weir (three times under 20 seconds in 2013) and United States sprinter Curtis Mitchell.

1715: Women's 800m semi-final - Britons Marilyn Okoro and Laura Muir will be going in this. Okoro has the experience, while Muir produced a great finish in her heat. American Brenda Martinez, Olympic champion Mariya Savinova and bronze medallist Ekaterina Poistogova will be fancied to go through.

1745: Men's 5,000m final - Mo Farah v everybody else.

1815: Women's 200m final - new world 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica v United States legend Allyson Felix. Felix is going for her ninth - that's ninth - world title. She's only 27.

1830: Men's 4x400m final - what GB would do to have Kriss Akabusi on that final leg. They're likely to have Martyn Rooney, who looked very comfortable in the heat. It's likely to be a battle between the United States and Jamaica for gold. United States will win. Surely.

Come on Mo. :bow:

GB to drop the baton in the first leg no doubt.

Felix. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Mitchell and Weir qualify from the first Men's 200m semi.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Bolt's semi-final on now. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Bolt jogs to a 20.13. And wins, of course.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Gemili's semi-final now.