PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Vieira As Coach?

Cripps_orig
27-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira could make a surprise return to his old club - as a coach.

The midfielder is set to be released by Manchester City in the coming weeks, having made just 16 starts for them this season.

He wants to stay in England but is not interested in playing on at a lower level.

Arsene Wenger is considering him for a coaching role and it is possible Roberto Mancini could offer the Champions League veteran a similar position.

Vieira, 34, could be just what Arsenal need to give them a winning mentality and provide guidance for their young players.

It would be an emotional reunion for Wenger and Vieira, who had nine successful years together at Arsenal until 2005.

It is also likely to please Arsenal fans who feel the squad lacks experience. It may even be a part-time role, which would give Vieira the time he wants to spend with his family.

His City team-mate Kolo Toure will discover his punishment for failing a drugs test in February on Thursday.

It is believed the substance came from a diet pill his wife gave him.

Another City player, striker Mario Balotelli, faces fresh controversy after a scuffle over a woman at a Milan nightclub. Italian reports say Balotelli, 20, was slapped twice in the face by the woman's boyfriend.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1390891/Patrick-Vieira-line-surprise-Arsenal-return.html#ixzz1NVSXFVxY

Player coach would be fine

AKBapologist
27-05-2011, 01:04 AM
I guess why not let the ineffectual string of ghosts from our glorious past gribbling into the staff rooms continue?

Sol, Lehman, Veria, who next? If it had more of an effect id be more excited. Somehow though, it just seems desperate.

Xhaka Can’t
27-05-2011, 07:25 AM
I guess why not let the ineffectual string of ghosts from our glorious past gribbling into the staff rooms continue?

Sol, Lehman, Veria, who next? If it had more of an effect id be more excited. Somehow though, it just seems desperate.

I'd love Vieira back. Particularly in a coaching role. We need a strong voice in the coaching staff.

IBK
27-05-2011, 08:01 AM
The entire issue depends upon how much of a voice Viera would/will have. I would have a little more hope for him, as opposed to Sol/Jens, because while captain, AW did, apparently listen to Paddy. Something he appears not to have done with any player since Thierry left.

As I said on the other thread, maybe the fact that Jens is around, and now possibly Paddy means that AW is beginning to realise the folly of getting rid of all of his senior players in favour of his ultimately brittle youth project.

Or am I just on happy pills this morning?

Marc Overmars
27-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Can't see any harm in bringing him back to coach.

I'm sure he will command respect from our delinquents.

fari
27-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Can't see any harm in bringing him back to coach.

I'm sure he will command respect from our delinquents.

i agree...players like vieria have an aura about them that (hopefully) younger players will look up to and respect.

Ernesto
27-05-2011, 12:49 PM
You see, I'm not too sure about Paddy in terms of how strong he is mentally.

He was scared of absolutely no-one on the pitch. Even when Keane tried to rough him up, Vieira would just end up playing out of his skin.

However, when it came to bleating to the ref, making unnecessary challenges, even committing his future to the club, he was pretty abject.

Great player- his performances between 2001 and 2002 were some of the best I've ever seen as a midfielder for Arsenal- but I just don't think he'll cut it as a coach.

Hump
27-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know if he has the right coaching badges? Always seemed thoughtful and intelligent when talking about games and he's certainly palyed under a few of the best coaches in different leagues, so not a bad grounding.

The question remains would he be able to translate this into an effective coaching role?

The Wengerbabies
27-05-2011, 02:05 PM
We had these rumors 2 years ago :lol:

Might be more likely now as he wants to stay in England but doesn't want to drop leagues.

Personally I'm in favor of it particularly as a coach we desperately need someone like him to whip these pansies into shape.

The Wengerbabies
27-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Great player- his performances between 2001 and 2002 were some of the best I've ever seen as a midfielder for Arsenal- but I just don't think he'll cut it as a coach.

There is only one way to find out if he'll cut it as a coach and there is certainly no harm in trying him. Personally I think he would be a decent coach.

Does anyone know if he has the right coaching badges? Always seemed thoughtful and intelligent when talking about games and he's certainly palyed under a few of the best coaches in different leagues, so not a bad grounding.

The question remains would he be able to translate this into an effective coaching role?

I've never understood this coaching badges crap. Surely he'd earn them by joining us as a coach, or do you need certain badges before you can join as a coach?

Marc Overmars
27-05-2011, 02:11 PM
You earn the coaching badges by actually coaching, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. :lol:

The Wengerbabies
27-05-2011, 02:18 PM
You earn the coaching badges by actually coaching, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. :lol:

Thats what I assumed but Hump; said this:

Does anyone know if he has the right coaching badges?

Implying that he needed coaching badges. Meh.

Rossy
27-05-2011, 03:33 PM
IS it not about time we get tony adams/martin keown to tell us how to defend properly.

Elreactor
27-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Player coach. He can lead by example and teach our idiots how to play, and the old coaches can teach him their trade. Win win for all. Get him :good:

Mr. Lahey
28-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Yes we should get him back at the club. This would be a good start in changing the mentality on the pitch at the club. We need to bring back players who know what sacrifices you have to make to win, who know what an honor it is to play for the club and who know how much the club means to the fans. Everyone goes on about how much disconnect there is between the players and the fans/history of the club and this is a positive move in the right direction. Vieira was always in the fight on the pitch whether it was versus United or against a team like Sunderland, it didnt matter to him who it was as long as 100% was given and we picked up the win. Bring DB10 back while we are at it too.

danisinkz
29-05-2011, 09:21 AM
it would be the equivalent of Labour bringing back Tony Blair to try and win the election... except millions of people have more respect for Vieira!

AKBapologist
29-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Vieira, arsenal legend? Yeah right.

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-city/1213031-patrick-vieira-rejects-arsenal-for-manchester-city-stay.html

Ernesto
29-05-2011, 11:52 AM

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-city/1213031-patrick-vieira-rejects-arsenal-for-manchester-city-stay.html

It appears that City may still be paving a way for him to PLAY next season, whereas we can't offer such an option.

Fairy nuff. He's still a "living legend" as the article states (although that phrase is now synonymous with Chris Jericho!)

AKBapologist
29-05-2011, 12:27 PM
It appears that City may still be paving a way for him to PLAY next season, whereas we can't offer such an option.

Fairy nuff. He's still a "living legend" as the article states (although that phrase is now synonymous with Chris Jericho!)
Vieria and Co didn't need specters of the past to whip them into shape, I don't see why this lot need any. I think the team itself is about 2 years away from playing in there prime, however, this habbit of losing is going to be difficult to shake unless some action is taken with this squad.

The Wengerbabies
29-05-2011, 02:51 PM
it would be the equivalent of Labour bringing back Tony Blair to try and win the election... except millions of people have more respect for Vieira!
Tony Blair :bow:

He's a winner, more chance of winning at City tbh.

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3621698/Patrick-Vieira-is-weighing-up-a-coaching-role-at-Arsenal.html

Japan Shaking All Over
07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
not the worst move that could be made this summer......

actually why not get Petit to come back and then we can play the pair.......will offer more steel than what we've been expected to accept