PDA

View Full Version : New Premier League TV Deal

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-06-2012, 07:05 PM
BT has secured the rights to broadcast live Premier League games for the first time, securing the rights to 38 matches a season from 2013-14 to 2015-16.

BSkyB will continue to show the bulk of games, securing the rights to 116 games per season, the Premier League said.

The total of 154 live matches is 16 more than currently broadcast and more than 40% of all top-level matches.

The sales raised £3.018bn, an increase of £1.25bn on the current package which shares rights between BSkyB and ESPN.

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce said the amount paid for the new deal was "staggering", marking a rise of 70% on the present deal, worth £1.773bn.

BT said it was paying £246m per season for its broadcast rights.

BT said it would launch a new football-focused channel to carry the games.

"It will offer new interactive features when supplied over BT's fibre network and we will look to distribute it on other platforms," the telecoms firm said.

BT said full details and pricing would be published in due course

"We welcome BT as a new Premier League broadcast partner," said Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

"They are a substantial British company that is at the leading edge of technology and infrastructure development."

He said BT would "deliver new ways in which fans will be able to follow the competition".

He added: "The continuing support of BSkyB for Premier League football is significant beyond the revenues delivered; the longevity and quality of their commitment has done much for the English game as a whole."

Under the new agreement, BT secured two of the seven packages on offer, showing 28 Saturday lunchtime games, including the opening game of the season, and 10 matches taking place on bank holidays or midweek evenings.
'Strong bid'

One of the surprises of the bidding results was the fact that US-based sports broadcaster ESPN had lost its package of live TV rights.

The demise of Irish broadcaster Setanta's UK operations in 2009 had allowed ESPN to move into the English top-flight football market.

Its current deal runs out at the end of the 2012-13 season.

Mr Scudamore praised ESPN for its involvement and said he believed the group would be back at the bidding table the next time the rights were up for auction.

"We made a strong bid that reflected the value of the rights to our business, and we thank the Premier League for the chance to participate," said an ESPN spokesman.

"We're looking forward to continuing our Premier League coverage next season, and continuing to serve fans with great live sports events and programming including the FA Cup, Europa League, Scottish Premier League, Serie A, Premiership Rugby, Top 14, golf, darts, UFC, NBA and much more."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18430036

I (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18430036)n summary, BT have replaced ESPN and will get the early Saturday games and 10 bank holiday games. £3Billion though :blink: I guess the suggestions after that Portsmouth landlady won her case that the Premier League rights would be harmed is complete BS after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only people to see the increase are the subscribers though. It wouldn't surprise me either to see all the early Saturday games suddenly become Wigan v Norwich, and never Chelsea v Arsenal; just like with the 5:15/30pm kick offs. But hey, it's all worked out by a computer...

McNamara That Ghost...
13-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I thought Al-Jazeera were getting them?

:wacko:

£3 billion is insane. Theoretically we'd get what, £120 million in a few seasons time? On top of the doubled money for the Champions League.

Most importantly...

ESPN. :haha:

Marc Overmars
13-06-2012, 07:44 PM
BT? As in British Telecom?

They have a TV channel? :unsure:

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-06-2012, 07:45 PM
They will do.

The details of which will be fully released sometime in the near future.

And yes, BT as in, BT.

Cripps_orig
13-06-2012, 07:47 PM
On Freeview?

Marc Overmars
13-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I wish a proper broadcaster would man up and get the dreggs Sky don't have at least.

Niall_Quinn
13-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Last I heard BT were billions in debt. When did that change?

GP
13-06-2012, 08:12 PM
BT?

What are they gonna phone me up and tell me the scores?

Fucking bullshit is what it is.

Get it on Dave.

Xhaka Can’t
13-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Hello, welcome to BT!

You're call is important to us. Please listen carefully to the following options before making your selection.

If you want to see Arsenal v Manchester United, say 'Arsenal' after the tone.

If you want to see Fulham v Norwich, say 'Fulham' after the tone.

If you want to see QPR v Everton, say 'QPR' after the tone.

If you want to see Reading v Tottenham, say 'Reading' after the tone.

If you want to see Wigan v Aston Villa, say 'Wigan' after the tone.

If you would like to hear these options again, say 'yes' after the tone.

BEEEEEP!

I'm sorry, I did not understand you.

If you want to see Arsenal v Manchester United, say 'Arsenal' after the tone.

If you want to see Fulham v Norwich, say 'Fulham' after the tone.

If you want to see QPR v Everton, say 'QPR' after the tone.

If you want to see Reading v Tottenham, say 'Reading' after the tone.

If you want to see Wigan v Aston Villa, say 'Wigan' after the tone.

BEEEEEEP!

You have selected 'Barnet Odeon'.

If you would like to see The Arsenal Stadium Mystery, say 'Arsenal' after the tone.

If you would like to see Pirates of the Caribbean 7, say 'Pirates'after the tone.

If you would like to see Snow White and the Huntsman, say 'Snow' after the tone.

If you would like to see Men in Black 3, say 'Men' after the tone.

BEEEEEP!

I'm sorry, I did not understand you. Would like to swear like fuck at 'Rick' from Bangalore?

If so, please stay on the line, otherwise throw your phone against the wall now.

For training purposes, your rant may be recorded and end up on Youtube.

Kano
14-06-2012, 10:19 AM
didn't know the carling cup name had changed to this :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/01/league-cup-capital-one-cup

GP
14-06-2012, 10:26 AM
didn't know the carling cup name had changed to this :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/01/league-cup-capital-one-cup

Does that mean we have to give it a much higher rate of interest?

Kano
14-06-2012, 10:37 AM
we're already in the red so we're a perfect match

McNamara That Ghost...
14-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I can't wait for three seasons time for us to win the Curly-Wurly Cup. They're surely going to run out of 'C' sponsors soon?

Niall_Quinn
14-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Capital One Cup? Who the fuck wants to win that? Wenger has been right to treat this cup as a joke because the ****s behind it have done everything in their power to undermine it.

Letters
17-06-2012, 05:27 PM
The one thing the Premier League was lacking was enough money so this is excellent news :rolleyes:

Another great step to making sure the top teams stay there and screw the rest. I read that when this deal kicks in the team who finishes bottom of the league will get £60m, more than City got for finishing champions last season.

:doh:

Football :rose:

McNamara That Ghost...
17-06-2012, 05:34 PM
At that same ratio, the Premier League would actually pay for our wage bill. :lol: And that's not even accounting for what I mentioned above of the doubled Champions League money.

Shaqiri Is Boss
17-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Still, at least there'll be no ways round the FFP...

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Does that mean we have to give it a much higher rate of interest?

Typical.

Boss
17-06-2012, 07:40 PM
We can finally afford some world class players now :pray:

McNamara That Ghost...
18-06-2012, 08:45 AM
:lol:

Afford, yes.

Buy, no.

GP
18-06-2012, 08:46 AM
arseblog ‏@arseblog
Anagram of Capital One Cup = Poetic Anal Cup. That's what I'm going to call it from now on.

Marc Overmars
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Gary Lineker's BBC future is in doubt amid claims he is interested in quitting to move to BT.

The Match of the Day host is considering jumping ship to broadcaster BT to front its new sports channel.

Earlier this year, the phone company won live rights to 38 Premier League games a year from 2013 after paying £738million.

It now wants a big name presenter to front the channel and has set aside 'serious money' to pay for the right person.

[B]A BT spokesman told MailOnline the company was looking for 'top talent' and said it had been approached by many agents on behalf of their clients - although nothing had been decided yet.

Representatives of Lineker have been in touch with the company to voice an interest in the role on his behalf.

The BT spokesman said: 'He's not anymore of a candidate than anyone else. We haven't had any meetings and we haven't spoken to anyone.'

However, he added: 'We are looking for serious talent to front the programme. Of course Gary is the Match of the Day presenter, he's got pedigree and stature.'

Rumours surrounding a possible BBC exit come as the 51-year-old former England and Spurs player is facing a pay cut to his £2million-a-year salary.

MOTD pundit Alan Hanson has already taken a £500,000 pay-cut and Lineker is expected to do the same as part of the BBC's economy drive.

His contract is also due to expire in August next year leaving the door open for a possible move.

At the moment, the Surrey-based presenter, who is also fronting the London 2012 Olympic Games, has to travel to the new BBC studios in Salford, Manchester where Match of the Day is filmed.

Last month, the Premier League cashed in with a new £3.018billion deal which splits domestic broadcast rights between BSkyB and BT.

The phenomenal deal for 2013-16 is a massive £1.254billion - 70 per cent - increase on the current deal, which is shared between Sky and U.S.-based sports network ESPN.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167578/Gary-Linekers-BBC-future-doubt-amid-reports-hes-eying-BTs-new-sports-channel.html#ixzz1zTswgX88

Bye.

Cripps_orig
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
BBC :doh:

They are on their last legs

Only Eastenders can save them now

Cripps_orig
BBC :doh:

They are on their last legs

Only Eastenders can save them now

GP
Hopefully they can replace him with someone better, like they did when they sacked Jonathan Ross.

Coney
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Bye.

At the moment, the Surrey-based presenter, who is also fronting the London 2012 Olympic Games, has to travel to the new BBC studios in Salford, Manchester where Match of the Day is filmed.

Must be awful for a manu supporter and SAF arse-licker to have to travel from Surrey to Manchester. Ah yes - Gary Arselicker. That works.

Coney
02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Hopefully they can replace him with someone better, like they did when they sacked Jonathan Ross.

They can bring back Adrian Chiles. ;)

GP
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
They can bring back Adrian Chiles. ;)

Hope so.

Though I assume when you say 'bring back' you really mean 'execute'

Shaqiri Is Boss
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Knowing the BBC though they'd just promote Manish Bhasin and Steve Claridge from The Football League Show.

And that would actually be worse than Gary and the Old Boys.

Marc Overmars
09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Michael Owen is going to be a co-commentator for BT. :lol:

Owen Hargreaves, Steve McManaman and David James will be pundits.

Most weirdly, Rio is going to be an interviewer. :blink:

GP
09-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Brrrrapp!

Shaqiri Is Boss
09-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Maybe next time Ivanovic misses a final he can tell him he got merked.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm getting rid of Sky Sports and ESPN again and am not about to subscribe to BT. Only sports channel I'll continue subscribing to is Premier Sports, and that is only because of the NHL.

Ollie the Optimist
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
tbf with streaming these days, whats the point of paying for sky sports etc when you can get it for free online, and every pub has it now, so the cost of a pint its a lot cheaper

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
tbf with streaming these days, whats the point of paying for sky sports etc when you can get it for free online, and every pub has it now, so the cost of a pint its a lot cheaper

Watch the games in a pub with LDG and you'll be wishing you used the £ to go Club Level.

GP
09-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Because even the highest quality stream is shit.

Marc Overmars
09-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Pretty much.

I rarely stream matches anymore. Prefer GW updates for 3pm kick offs.

Ollie the Optimist
09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Because even the highest quality stream is shit.

apart from that one you sent me the other day, that was clearer then actually being there :lol:

true most are shit, but i find them better then paying for sky

Power n Glory
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I think it's my last season with Sky Sports too. Highlights from now on and pub games.

Marc Overmars
09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Sky is overpriced but I can't imagine being able to enjoy football without it.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I can't imagine being able to enjoy football with it.

McNamara That Ghost...
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
The BT channels are 'free' if you get BT broadband.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2013, 09:05 PM
I have BT Broadband.

I've heard nothing about this.

Link please.

GP
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
BT have managed to assemble the worst punditry line-up imaginable.

Well done to them.

Cripps_orig
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/09/bt-premier-league-broadband

I just got rid of bt broadband.

I'm glad now

GP
I have BT Broadband.

I've heard nothing about this.

Link please.

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-sport-to-be-free-with-bt-broadband/?s_cid=con_cic_aff_affwin_vidAJM_broadband&vendorid=AJM&awc=3041_1368133594_4d45b533073a55a16b6fa323126ca5 6c

Niall_Quinn
09-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I have Virgin Media so the only thing I can stream is piss into a bottle while I wait for their ****ing service to do do anything. Deffo switching to BT if the footie is free.

GP
09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
My broadband provider has been sold to Sky so I'm looking to switch too.

Xhaka Can’t
09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Got to say, I'm impressed with this deal!