PDA

View Full Version : Safe standing

fsf
09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
We realise that this is an emotive subject for some supporters, but hope that any debate can be constructive and factual, and respectful of all views. For more on some of the legalities, myths and facts behind safe standing, please visit our website.

The Football Supporters' Federation's campaign for safe standing is reaching a critical point.

A number Premier League and Championship clubs have already given their backing to the campaign, including Aston Villa, Bristol City, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Hull City, Peterborough United, as well as the Scottish Premier League, who have approved pilots of safe standing areas in their competition.

There is an Early Day Motion (EDM 573) proposed by Roger Godsiff MP calling on the government to allow pilot schemes of safe standing in the Premier League and Championship.

We are calling on fans to get involved if they back the idea of safe standing, by completing any or all of the following four steps on our website - http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safestanding/index.php:

Step 1 - Sign the FSF's Safe Standing Petition (if you haven’t already)
Step 2 - Email your MP to let them know you back safe standing (there is a easy to follow process to do this through our website)
Step 3 - Let us know what response you get from your MP via safestanding@fsf.org.uk.
Step 4 - Spread the word. Send this page to your mates via email, Facebook, Twitter or whatever other social media you prefer. If you’re involved with a supporters’ organisation, fanzine or website, use your links to promote the campaign.

The safe standing campaign is as much about those with a wish to sit as those who wish to stand - standing in seated areas happens every week, forcing those who are either unwilling or unable to stand to either miss the match or be forced to stand. The creation of standing areas would help improve the matchday experience for both types of supporter, and improve the safety of those who stand - it is surely safer to be standing in an area specifically designed for the purpose than to be standing behind seats in an all-seated stand?

The campaign is not about a re-introduction of terraces. The campaign is not about 'bringing back' anything. We would insist the requirements laid down in the government's 'Green Guide' are strictly adhered to.

To find out more of the facts, see images of the type of safe standing that we are proposing, as well as busting a few 'myths' to do with standing, simply visit our website - http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safestanding/index.php

We believe that fans should have the choice to sit or stand. We believe that the technology is there to allow fans to stand in safety. If you agree with us, please follow the steps above today.

Thanks,

The FSF

Marc Overmars
09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
The German model should be followed, the atmosphere at some of their stadiums is immense because of the cheap standing areas they have. Of course that's a tried and trusted system though and I don't think the government is quite ready to trust the sort of football fans this country has and I don't blame them.

IBK
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I'd back any initiative that a) resulted in cheaper seats that let more kids and locals watch games, and b) generates more atmosphere. God knows, the Emirates needs it!

Cripps_orig
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
As long as i dont have to stand

Shaqiri Is Boss
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I can't really see ticket prices coming down any significant amount, what I think is more likely is clubs see it as a possibility to get more people through the turnstiles and a way to generate more money.

It could probably be managed safely nowadays, football fans generally are seen differently to years ago but I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years those fans wanted the removal of the seats because no one uses them in that area, because by definition those people want to stand. It's not just the act of bringing back standing, it's the message it sends out.

I'm not really against it or for it to any extreme though that's not to say I don't think tickets could and should be much cheaper but I don't really think it's particularly necessary either.

LDG
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
As long as i dont have to stand

Bloody right. Can't have people getting in the way!

GP
09-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Standing in proper standing zones is far safer than standing in seated areas.

Sitting through football is shit, so I'm all for it.

Joker
10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
The atmosphere created by Schalke fans (and Dortmund last season against us) was immense.

Kano
10-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I can't really see ticket prices coming down any significant amount, what I think is more likely is clubs see it as a possibility to get more people through the turnstiles and a way to generate more money.
I think that is the crux of the situation and its no surprise that villa (and especially championship sides due to be left even further behind financially when the new prem money is dished out) are behind the idea.

its somewhat out of line with the all new sparkling 'best football league in the worlds' image and i can't see the prem going for it ever again.