PDA

View Full Version : Wenger 'It is so frustrating to flirt with success'

Tony Tuesdays
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
As I don't have ATV if anyone else has please could you post Wenger's comments as i'd love to know his viewpoints on the topics discussed below.

Our Season Review continues today with the reflections of Arsène Wenger.

Speaking ahead of the Club’s Annual Charity Ball, the Arsenal manager looked back at the ups and downs of the 2010/11 campaign.

He discussed:

the attitude of the squad
Arsenal’s away form
failing to hold their nerve
the games that lost Arsenal the title
the manner of the goals conceded
correcting the problems from set-pieces
the height of his players
the criticism of his team

Subscribers can now watch this interview ‘on demand’ on Arsenal TV Online

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-it-s-so-frustrating-to-flirt-with-success-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

KSE Comedy Club
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Why?

He will only talk the same old shit he usually does. Cant see anything wrong with our style of play, can see that we have trouble defending set piece's, doesnt agree with the critiscm of the team, will look to strengthen which will be difficult, blah, blah, blah.

Why do you want to torture yourself.

LDG
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm not listening to the cunt all summer.

Will just rely on you lot for info.

Flavs
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
The only time i want to hear him is if its stood at the side of a new signing and that signig is someone i have heard of

Cripps_orig
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Just heard it

the attitude of the squad - the attitude of this team is very good
Arsenal’s away form - it was the best away form in the league. This show great mental strength and spirit
failing to hold their nerve - We finished top 4 so i would say we held our nerve
the games that lost Arsenal the title - it was the games Man Utd won rather than the ones we lost that lost us the title
the manner of the goals conceded - every team concedes goals. It is not a problem
correcting the problems from set-pieces - There is no problem. We are 2% away from correcting the problem
the height of his players - Look at Barca players. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta are not tall and they are successful. We can be the same
the criticism of his team - the only opinions that matter are the board and they are happy with how the club is going. We make a lot of money and that says it all im afraid

True story

Power n Glory
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
You have got to be lying. Can anyone else vouch for that?

Unbelievable!

Tony Tuesdays
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
This is what a friend told me:

Haven't got time to go into detail now but in a nutshell he said we need more height in the squad for set pieces because we've conceded far too many goals from set pieces.

Liverpool, Spuds, Bolton were examples of the kinds of games we should've won. Those are the ones that lost us the title.
We didn't hold our nerve when we needed a big title push.

Özim
01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
We should sell some of that great mental strength, spirit and togetherness Wenger always talks about, apparently we have loads of it, could make some new signings from the return from this.

LDG
01-06-2011, 10:38 AM
He covered all his bases over the last few years.

He said the defence wasn't up to scratch during last summer, and that we were short in that department in the January transfer window. He failed to correct it on both occasions.

No nobody believes him.

But I do agree with Flavs. The basic groundwork of coaching the defence is of paramount importance before you even look to strengthen that department.

Flavs
01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Just heard it

Arsenal’s away form - it was the best away form in the league. This show great mental strength and spirit
failing to hold their nerve - We finished top 4 so i would say we held our nerve
the games that lost Arsenal the title - it was the games Man Utd won rather than the ones we lost that lost us the title
the manner of the goals conceded - every team concedes goals. It is not a problem
correcting the problems from set-pieces - There is no problem. We are 2% away from correcting the problem
the height of his players - Look at Barca players. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta are not tall and they are successful. We can be the same
the criticism of his team - the only opinions that matter are the board and they are happy with how the club is going. We make a lot of money and that says it all im afraid

True story

:lol:

LDG
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
He covered all his bases over the last few years.

He said the defence wasn't up to scratch during last summer, and that we were short in that department in the January transfer window. He failed to correct it on both occasions.

No nobody believes him.

But I do agree with Flavs. The basic groundwork of coaching the defence is of paramount importance before you even look to strengthen that department.

Think I may have put this in the wrong thread :(

Marc Overmars
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Just heard it

True story

:gp:

Özim
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm sure it is frustrating, but 6 million probably goes some way to reducing the anguish.

Tony Tuesdays
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Arsene Wenger understands 'disappointed' love of Arsenal fans

Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal's philosophy needs only minor tweaking for them to challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.

The Gunners finished 12 points behind champions Manchester United following an end of season collapse that highlighted the psychological frailties that continue to haunt them.

Wenger understands the "disappointed love" of Arsenal fans, some of whom have turned on the Frenchman, but insists the team is only five per cent away from becoming winners.

"The criticism has been sharper this year because of the impatience of people," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online.

"People are used to us being in the Champions League so we have to give them more, but we're not capable of doing that. People love what we do but they want us to be rewarded so that they can be convinced we do things the right way. They want proof that we do things the right way.

"For our fans the frustration was that we were so close to convincing everybody of how football can be great, but in the end not being able to deliver.

"I would call it disappointed love. It was cruel and sometimes you get excessive responses to that. I share that and understand it. But that doesn't mean we have to change our philosophy or the way the club is run.

"We get it 95 per cent right, but we must gain that five per cent because it's so frustrating to flirt with success like we have done. The fans are unhappy that we didn't win the Premier League, but we are close.

"In 2003 we were also the best away team, but didn't win. We kept going and in 2004 we were very strong."

Wenger pinpoints Arsenal's run of two points from three games in late April as the end of their title challenge.

"I was happy with the attitude of the players and our away form," he said. "But what was disappointing was that when we needed to push on, we could not show the nerves to deal well with some games.

"I'm thinking about Liverpool, Tottenham and Bolton. We had good opportunities to win those games and had we done, that would have been seven points more."

Arsenal conceded 41 goals in the Premier League with the set piece their Achilles heel, prompting Wenger to target some taller players in the transfer market this summer.

"We conceded very few goals from open play, most of them were from set pieces in a way you don't want to concede goals," he said.

"It's something that's easy to correct. We need to improve the size of our squad. We need a bigger variety in the height of our players. We need to be more capable of fighting against some characteristics than we have been this season."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23955654-arsene-wenger-understands-disappointed-love-of-arsenal-fans.do?

Özim
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Him and his bloody percentages etc...he starting to change his take now saying we only need minor tweaks....before you know it we'll have a couple nobodies on board and he'll be satisfied with his summer trading.

I think we need more than "minor tweaks"

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Just heard it

True story

Fuck, you had me until "We are 2% away from correcting the problem".

AKBapologist
01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
it's now 5% not 2%... AW being more pessimistic than Ach.... :bow:

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Wenger understands the "disappointed love" of Arsenal fans, some of whom have turned on the Frenchman, but insists the team is only five per cent away from becoming winners.

So we've gone backwards, we're 150% further away now than before? Fuuuuuck! Actually I prefer Ach's summary, it is less offensive.

Joker
01-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Wenger must take us for fools if he thinks repeating this nonsense is going to placate fans.

IBK
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm afraid, AW, that the frustration is having a manager with a God complex - impervious to any other point of view than his own - condescending to us that we are impatient, and implying that we are ungrateful and know nothing, when for the past few seasons now you have told us that this will be the year for trophies, only to shift the goalposts come the end of the season while we have none.

'Impatient'? I'd say that Wenger has benefitted by immesurably more patience than managers at other 'top' clubs have enjoyed. 'Love what we do'? - I think that you could benefit from a reality check. We love our club, but we are beginning to hate and resent the never-corrected failings that you are presiding over, and the constant self-justification that we have to put up with after yet another season of relative failure.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
To dismiss the general feeling of the fans after five years of being given the benefit of doubt while peddaling the same tired excuses following the annual collapse indicates this man is atr best arrogant, and almost certainly deluded.

I accept that it is difficult to win trophies, but I cannot any longer stomach the inevitability of failure arising from the same mistakes over and over again. And quite frankly, our football stinks and is a pale imitation of what it was even three years ago.

Joker
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
He claims to respect the fans and cares about how they feel, but based on what he says in his interviews, it seems he gives short shrift to our opinions.

fakeyank
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
To dismiss the general feeling of the fans after five years of being given the benefit of doubt while peddaling the same tired excuses following the annual collapse indicates this man is atr best arrogant, and almost certainly deluded.

I accept that it is difficult to win trophies, but I cannot any longer stomach the inevitability of failure arising from the same mistakes over and over again. And quite frankly, our football stinks and is a pale imitation of what it was even three years ago.

AW can FOAD tbh..

GP
01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Wenger :bow:

out

Injury Time
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Just heard it

True story
:haha:

KSE Comedy Club
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm afraid, AW, that the frustration is having a manager with a God complex - impervious to any other point of view than his own - condescending to us that we are impatient, and implying that we are ungrateful and know nothing, when for the past few seasons now you have told us that this will be the year for trophies, only to shift the goalposts come the end of the season while we have none.

'Impatient'? I'd say that Wenger has benefitted by immesurably more patience than managers at other 'top' clubs have enjoyed. 'Love what we do'? - I think that you could benefit from a reality check. We love our club, but we are beginning to hate and resent the never-corrected failings that you are presiding over, and the constant self-justification that we have to put up with after yet another season of relative failure.

and to think I was just going to reply to his interview with 'Cunt.'

Injury Time
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM

and to think I was just reply to his interview with 'Cunt.'
tbh I prefer your succinct version, none of this tippy tappy typing bollox, just bang "Cunt" and done :good:

KSE Comedy Club
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
;) :lol:

ElusiveGooner
02-06-2011, 04:19 AM

The frustrating thing is that we are only a couple of good signings away from challenging for trophies. One of those signings just needs to be a new manager!

IBK
02-06-2011, 07:16 AM
This.

IBK
02-06-2011, 07:17 AM

This.

selassie
02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Just heard it

True story

Brilliant! :lol:

selassie
02-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Arsene Wenger understands 'disappointed' love of Arsenal fans

[/B] "The criticism has been sharper this year because of the impatience of people," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online.

No the criticism has been sharper because we could all see this coming in the summer when you refused to address issues in the team for the 3rd season running.

"For our fans the frustration was that we were so close to convincing everybody of how football can be great, but in the end not being able to deliver".

This time was not close to anything, it was same old same old at the business end of the season. We even managed to screw up Carling Cup by getting beat by a team who've been relegated!

"I would call it disappointed love. It was cruel and sometimes you get excessive responses to that. I share that and understand it. But that doesn't mean we have to change our philosophy or the way the club is run.

Something has to change because the team isn't moving forward.

"We get it 95 per cent right, but we must gain that five per cent because it's so frustrating to flirt with success like we have done. The fans are unhappy that we didn't win the Premier League, but we are close.

No the fans are unhappy because you refuse to address the deficiencies in the team.

"I was happy with the attitude of the players and our away form," he said. "But what was disappointing was that when we needed to push on, we could not show the nerves to deal well with some games.

Your stars want to walk, your failed projects want to walk, how can you be happy with the attitude of your players when half of them don't believe in you or your strategies?

Arsenal conceded 41 goals in the Premier League with the set piece their Achilles heel, prompting Wenger to target some taller players in the transfer market this summer.

This is just crazy, why not just hire a coach that can teach defence first?

"We conceded very few goals from open play, most of them were from set pieces in a way you don't want to concede goals," he said.

That's probably because you don't teach set pieces in training?

"It's something that's easy to correct. We need to improve the size of our squad. We need a bigger variety in the height of our players. We need to be more capable of fighting against some characteristics than we have been this season."

No it's not easy to correct, not for you anyway, these problems have been there for years. You need to coach then think about being a bigger variety/high class type of player.

LDG
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Jockey.

Japan Shaking All Over
02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Just heard it

True story

the attitude of the squad - the attitude of this team is very good - yeah now that's it's on it's summer holidays
Arsenal’s away form - it was the best away form in the league. This show great mental strength and spirit - Which means jack shit if we can't beat the likes of WBA, Sunderland and Blackburn at home
failing to hold their nerve - We finished top 4 so i would say we held our nerve - just enough not to be caught by the Scum
the games that lost Arsenal the title - it was the games Man Utd won rather than the ones we lost that lost us the title - pass
the manner of the goals conceded - every team concedes goals. It is not a problem - the words of the bard Howard Wilkinson comes to mind - “I am a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team have to score two to win.” - wait how about this now AW - “If they hadn't scored, we would've won”
correcting the problems from set-pieces - There is no problem. We are 2% away from correcting the problem - which means that we are 98% still sure of having one
the height of his players - Look at Barca players. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta are not tall and they are successful. We can be the same - thank fu#k for that, now I can look forward to an Arshavin 50+ goal season
the criticism of his team - the only opinions that matter are the board and they are happy with how the club is going. We make a lot of money and that says it all im afraid - sure who needs trophies to prove that we are good when we can be represented at the next PL chairman's gala dinner by the guy who turned up in a private jet rather than a taxi

LDG
02-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Ach's still got it.

DJ Philosophe
02-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Amen.

The way he talks down to the fans is ridiculous. He acts like all of us are brand new to the game and have no concept of what he's trying to do. Fuck off, admit your plan failed. Either fix it(and in a hurry) or find a new club....

My 2 cents.

Marc Overmars
02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
The French cunt.

LDG
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
The French cunt.

Flavs
02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
He wants to try being a fan and see the same shit parts of our game year after year with no evidence it will get fixed or that he is accepting he does have faults after all. I think if he doesnt change he may well be watching it from our side by Christmas

Gubby Allen
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
We've got 3% worse over the last 2 years.

We'll be 12.66% short by the year 2020.