PDA

View Full Version : Samir "The Weasel" Nasri - The Epitome of Wenger's Failings!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Newguy
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
So I guess you've all read the "quotes" from Nasri regarding his future at the club, you most likely heard Wenger mentioning that the stall on the new deal is down to Nasri wanting Cesc money and today I have read that Nasri will be waiting to see if the "man united rumours a re real and concrete" (regarding them making a bid for him).

IMO Nasri is an example of Wenger's failings as a manager, firstly lets not go over board, Nasri is a weasel and this should be expected, I felt he was a waste of money and bottled it when it came to crunch time, regarding his quality I may have been proven wrong during the middle parts of last season, however he proved he couldnt really step up to the plate when it was needed of him in the last 10 games of the season.

At any other time I would be happy to see this guy leave the club, but in spectacular Wenger fashion, this weasel has managed to get his contract down to where he only has 12 months left on it. It is abundently clear that Wenger doesnt learn from any mistakes on or off the pitch.

Wenger obviously felt confident that Nasri would sign an new deal and will still be confident of sorting out a new deal for him even if the season starts and he hasnt put pen to paper, but I belt he felt the same about Flamini and we all know how that turned out.

The fact that Nasri (and his agent) have found themselves in this position of power irritates me, the fact that Nasri can flirt with the possibilities of moving to Man U becasue he knows he is in the position of power shows a disrespect to the club and reveals what type of footballer he is.

If we can at least break even on him I would gladly let him go.

Marc Overmars
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Just another typical situation we face every summer.

It's an indictment on Wenger that he consistently faces a struggle to keep his best players. "the priority is to keep the players we have", "they're like new signings", " the budget is to spend on new contracts" etc... You don't hear anyone else of our stature talking like this.

It should come as no surprise really why we're never ambitious in the transfer market. How can we be when there's always a worry about who's heading through the exit door next.

As for Nasri himself, I don't care anymore, I'm sick of players like this holding the club by the balls. It represents everything I loathe about this team and more significantly, football in general.

dazthegooner
I had my reservation about him when he and Gallas had a bust up yes Gallas could be arrogant but was right when stating that Nasri hasn't won anything and untill the does should shut his mouth...

Joker
I detest the way some players like Nasri can in essence hold the club to ransom, behaving as if they've achieved anything substantial in their careers, when it is clear they have not. Nasri had a good 3 months this season, but nothing more. His performances in the second half of the season were hugely ineffective. And yet, judging by his behaviour, you'd think he made a big positive contribution to our season. The reality is that he is as responsible as the rest of the squad for our failings in the league, the Carling Cup final and the Champions League. Like you say, when it came to the crunch he didn't deliver.

I strongly dislike footballers like Nasri, and many ways wouldn't mind if he left, because I don't believe he's the type of footballer we need at Arsenal, the type we can rely on to run through brick walls and will stand up to be counted. However, given that I expect a serious clearout this summer, there is the argument that we can't afford to lose too many players, as this will create destabilising effect on the squad.

Newguy
05-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Wenger has to replace the players that leave with real talented experienced players, preferably with premiership experience. We need money invested into the squad. Denilson is off, Bendy is off, Clichy is most likely off, Eboue possibly aswell - that should sort out the wages for 2 top class players. If Cesc does leave we should hold out for a minimum of 45mil, with the needed investment, Wenger should have 50mil to spend whther we sell anyone at all anyway.

I would gladly have the club get Nasri to sign, if that meant caving in to his demnads there so be it, give him the 110 a week weges if reports are to be believed, but as soon as that is sorted, think about selling him. I dont want players like this at the club, yes we I understand that not winning anything will cause this but as Joker said the guy has contributed to the failings ;ast season, make no mistakes though, it's wenger's fault that he is in the position to hold the club to ransom, he should have had a new deal sorted a good 18 months ago, Wenger jist seemed to think that the french players he has brought to the club will show loyalty and sign - he just doesnt learn.

Özim
05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Just another typical situation we face every summer.

It's an indictment on Wenger that he consistently faces a struggle to keep his best players. "the priority is to keep the players we have", "they're like new signings", " the budget is to spend on new contracts" etc... You don't hear anyone else of our stature talking like this.

It should come as no surprise really why we're never ambitious in the transfer market. How can we be when there's always a worry about who's heading through the exit door next.

As for Nasri himself, I don't care anymore, I'm sick of players like this holding the club by the balls. It represents everything I loathe about this team and more significantly, football in general.
Absolutely great post, sorry but I blame Wenger for this...no ambition same sh*t every season. The fact is there isn't much loyalty in the game these days and if you want to keep your best players you need success....Wenger can't deliver it.

Also he looks like a real fool with his spirit and togetherness comments, he keeps getting kicked in the teeth, but like an old fool he does the same thing over and over again.

This will continue of course, Wenger just needs to leave now! If anything it going to get harder and harder for us.

IMO he's made this situation, too much loyalty and not enough ambition....we've now got Nasri, Cesc, Bendtner and Denilson all seemingly wanting out....and yet Wenger put this squad together with unity in mind.

As for Nasri, it's what we've come to expect really, I'm not surprised really he has just over a year left and with football being the way it is he's thinking about his options now.

It's not good from a fans point of view but you'd have to be foolish to sign on with us with things as they are in all honest, when things haven't changed for 6 years it's hard to believe in Wenger's pipedreams.

All we are these days is a stepping stone club nothing more, the better players are unlikely to stick with us.

Sirjackofwilshere
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
This is why I hope we can get the likes of coquelin, Bartley etc etc into the squad asap. Hopefully the fact that they've been brought through the club will mean they have greater loyalty and a desire to run themselves into the ground for the club.

As for Nasri, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner and the rest (including Cesc) frankly if it weren't for the destabilising effect I'd have them all shown the door. Is it any wonder the lack of desire and hardwork from some of them on the pitch given the fact that its now apparent just how quick they want to run off as soon as things aren't going their way? A lot of them are mercenary twats...mollycodelled and comforted far too much by Wenger. He needs to become ruthless...thats the difference between him and the other top managers.

The Verminator
05-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Simple answer to the problem is pay him the extra £10-20k per week he's asking for. Swallow a bit of pride and keep one of our best players. I want Arsenal to improve significantly and now's not the time to go losing players like Nasri.

Özim
05-06-2011, 05:22 PM
To be honest, he should have been offered an extended contract last summer if Wenger wanted to keep him. Even if he didn't we still could have sold him on for more.

How often do we let these contracts run down to the point where it's almost too late. Better to keep the valuable players under longer contracts, players like Nasri we paid good money for and the ball should be in our court. I couldn't give a toss about having kids who cost us next to nothing contracted, but players we spent good money on should be in watertight contracts.

I think it's a sign of poor planning once again.

gillilocks
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Surely Gazidis is the man in charge of renegotiating these contracts, what the hell does he do?

Can't blame Nasri for wanting out - played out of position, team going backwards, more money elsewhere.

No great loss, most people have summed it up, he epitomises the current team when the goin' gets tough. Wouldn't mind a swap deal for Nani.

budesonide
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I would do exactly the same thing. If i start a job with a company which professes aspirations of grandeur and then the issue of my contract extension comes up, I will ask for a hike corresponding to the status as a top recruit which I came with knowing other top competitors would be willing to pay up (or I could earn the same elsewhere but with much better prospects of accomplishing great things in my career).

simples.

budesonide
05-06-2011, 05:48 PM
This is why I hope we can get the likes of coquelin, Bartley etc etc into the squad asap. Hopefully the fact that they've been brought through the club will mean they have greater loyalty and a desire to run themselves into the ground for the club.

As for Nasri, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner and the rest (including Cesc) frankly if it weren't for the destabilising effect I'd have them all shown the door. Is it any wonder the lack of desire and hardwork from some of them on the pitch given the fact that its now apparent just how quick they want to run off as soon as things aren't going their way? A lot of them are mercenary twats...mollycodelled and comforted far too much by Wenger. He needs to become ruthless...thats the difference between him and the other top managers.

coquelin, Bartley etc etc?? they will do exactly the same thing if we keep going the way we have been going. Weren't we saying the same thing about diaby,denilson,cesc,bendtner years ago?

Joker
05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Like others have said Wenger does deserve a lot of criticism for failing to sort out contracts earlier (we've seen this before with Flamini and Edu), and while the argument that Nasri's behaviour is economically rational is true, it's a shame that footballers these days just see themselves as simply employees, rather than as part of the fabric of the football club itself, which encompasses not just the team, but its supporters, the community etc. That's more an indictment of modern footballer than anything though, and Nasri can't be singled out in that respect.

budesonide
05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
it's a shame that footballers these days just see themselves as simply employees, rather than as part of the fabric of the football club itself, which encompasses not just the team, but its supporters, the community etc. That's more an indictment of modern footballer than anything though, and Nasri can't be singled out in that respect.

I'm afraid the clubs treat players exactly like employees when they want to get rid of them. It cuts both ways.

V-Pig
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
He'll sign.

fakeyank
05-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm afraid the clubs treat players exactly like employees when they want to get rid of them. It cuts both ways.

:gp:

KSE Comedy Club
05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
We should just sell the useless cunt tbh.

Hasnt done fuck all for us except play well for 2 months. Big deal, now he expects to be paid more money??

Fuck off you lesbo looking twat!

Master Splinter
05-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Fuck off you lesbo looking twat!
:haha:

Sirjackofwilshere
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
This hoopla reminds me of Dein who we miss for exactly this reason. No way would we have lost Flamini on a free had he been here. Hes very good at negotiating with players, sorting out contracts and getting Wenger's transfer targets.

Mr.Singh
05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Nasri has turned his back on the club....

Newguy
05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Nasri has turned his back on the club....

And as supporters we should do likewise and turn our backs on him.

Wenger has come out to say that he wants more money, hence the stalling on the new deal announcement. I can accept that, he's obliged to get as much money as he feels he can, but I would rather not have someone at the club of that make up.

It's why this bothers me so much, his obnly leverage is that he has 12 months left on his contract, he knows he has done nothing to warrant being the highest paid player at the club, when we needed him to step up, he stepped down.

Cripps_orig
05-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Fuck him tbh

Özim
05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I heard Nasri wasn't very happy after our season, then when he saw what we were offering this was his reaction:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53254000/jpg/_53254147_53253176.jpg

Power n Glory
05-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I would do exactly the same thing. If i start a job with a company which professes aspirations of grandeur and then the issue of my contract extension comes up, I will ask for a hike corresponding to the status as a top recruit which I came with knowing other top competitors would be willing to pay up (or I could earn the same elsewhere but with much better prospects of accomplishing great things in my career).

simples.

It's not as clear cut as that. He'll get a pay rise but he's asking for the same sort of money Cesc is on. That's like a junior assistant asking for Executive money. If he wants that sort of money, is he willing to take on responsibility for such a role? Does he even have the skill and experience? He hasn't proven anything to demand such a fee, but footballers live in a different world from us and what he's doing isn't anything we haven't seen before.

We're silly for letting his contract run down. We had the same problem with Theo and RVP some years back. Theo was frustrated because the club seemed reluctant to sort out his future and it was as if he and his agent had to initiate talks. He had 18 months left on his contract at that point and he said they shouldn't try to take him from granted and assume he'd sign a new contract. Looks like they've done the same with Nasri. History repeats.

Ollie the Optimist
05-06-2011, 08:01 PM
he can fuck off. fed up of these cunts thinking we are just there to give them more money after some decent performances! if anyone deserves more money this season, its rvp, jack and chesney. the only three who produced when it mattered

Ironing
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
We sit here and slag off Wenger all day, yet some expect this French, lesbian-looking cunt who has only been here 3 years to not fuck off to somewhere where he can get paid more and win more trophies?

Hmm...

Özim
05-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Wenger's turned us into a stepping stone club, players come here to get more exposure and then move on to bigger better things.

No player can honestly come here and believe we're going to win anything under Wenger, we're rightly viewed as a team who don't win.

Ultimately failure also leaves players with negative feelings at the end of a season, this further encourages players a move is the best thing for them, add to that being played out of position and a lack of quality signings and it's not hard to see why players leave.

Syn
05-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't really care. From his perspective, I think it's the right move for him to leave Arsenal. Under a manager that requires players to man-up, he could become one of the world's best players. Incredibly talented player who needs to be far more selfish...seems like he's taking the first steps towards that.

Mr. Lahey
05-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't really care. From his perspective, I think it's the right move for him to leave Arsenal. Under a manager that requires players to man-up, he could become one of the world's best players. Incredibly talented player who needs to be far more selfish...seems like he's taking the first steps towards that.

agreed

Marc Overmars
05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately that is true.

Mr.Singh
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Fuck him and wenger stupid wankers

fari
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
really, really disappointed but i kinda agree with him. football is a business. us fans can sit here and whinge all we want but it is what it is. if i were in his position i would probably do the same thing.

budesonide
05-06-2011, 10:50 PM
his only leverage is that he has 12 months left on his contract.

and whose fault is that? By the way, that is a big big leverage. He is entitled to use it to the fullest advantage

he knows he has done nothing to warrant being the highest paid player at the club, when we needed him to step up, he stepped down.

so we can just sell him then. Because if he was so important he'd have been tied up a while back.

Jimmy Valmer
05-06-2011, 11:41 PM
:haha:

:lol:

Mr. Lahey
06-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Wenger has made this mess himself...I just wish he would fuck off already. As Syn stated, Nasri will go on under another manager and become one of the best players in the world. The culture at this club these days is rotten to the core. When a shit apple falls from a tree and grows up in a field of shit it doesnt have any choice, just like Nasri he'll grow into a shit appletree just like Wenger.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Like I have mentioned on a different thread, that when a player starts shouting for the way to the door then it best show him the way as it ruins the morale of the team to either pamper to their demands or ignore them

However what to do when a core group of players start getting a case of the itches.....Nic and Denilson to be fair equate for less than one player, based on their contribution, Cesc and Nasri on the other hand are slightly more important and their departure will undoubtedly have an effect on the team.

True to form Cesc is keeping his mouth shut, which to be honest he need not open cos he can rely 3/4s of Barcelona opening theirs for him!!

Nasri on the other hand is playing his cards differently and is playing a bit of a dangerous game by mouthing off himself when given the chance. The fans are not going to forget and it is even more difficult to forgive when as with many on GW have stated that Nasri's contribution at best lukewarm. Does decent half season really give him enough weight to start making such brash statements, especially when watching him play the other half of the same season was like sticking pins in your eyes!

Something tells me that Nasri wants Cesc's position, as amongst other things that AW has got wrong is to play Nasri out wide, when Cesc is in the team.

I do not like the way Nasri is going about things but are we surprised, we shouldn't be! AW out of anybody should have seen this coming. As it has been happening with about the same kind of consistency as we have been out of the trophies. No small coincidence, me thinks!

If I was to have my way and everyone is still wanting out then I would get rid of the lot of them, not sure if the young uns like Coq, Lansbury etc are the answer (sorry Sirjack) but we would need to bring in immediate talent/experience - and the younguns get one more year out on loan - send them to a premo team like WBA, Bolton that have two very decent managers or Fulham if O'Neil goes there!

selassie
06-06-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm totally sick of all of it TBH. This summer is just the same as every other, we won't make any notable signings, Arsene will spend all summer trying to keep disgruntled players at the club, we'll promote from within for the sake of promoting and it will be same old same old next season.

I'm just tired of it all. The problem stems from the Manager, he has created this "Creche Culture" where the players are pampered without having actually done anything.

I would love to be in a job where I could under-perform on a regular basis and get rewarded for it.

In regards to Nasri, who the fuck does he think he is? He's won Fuck all and has only contributed half a season of top class Football in 3 seasons with us yet he wants to get paid star wages? He's deluded and epitomes everything that is wrong with this rotten team. The fault lies with the Manager.

The fact that he (Nasri) is openly talking about looking at an offer from one of our rivals is totally disgusting.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Wanting out is one thing, but he shows a serious lack of class when he talks up the possibility of joining Man Utd. That shouldn't even be a consideration.

Wenger is a weak manager and this is why he has to go. All the bollocks about keeping the team together and unity will never work under him because he can't even keep his players happy. This grand plan of his is flawed anyway because there is no guarantee that you'll team will start winning trophies because they've played together for years. Familiarity breeds contempt. Keep such a flawed system in place and we'll keep seeing this every few seasons. Players will grow tired of each other and the mistakes, then they'll grow tired of the manager for not addressing it.

selassie
06-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Wanting out is one thing, but he shows a serious lack of class when he talks up the possibility of joining Man Utd. That shouldn't even be a consideration.

Wenger is a weak manager and this is why he has to go. All the bollocks about keeping the team together and unity will never work under him because he can't even keep his players happy. This grand plan of his is flawed anyway because there is no guarantee that you'll team will start winning trophies because they've played together for years. Familiarity breeds contempt. Keep such a flawed system in place and we'll keep seeing this every few seasons. Players will grow tired of each other and the mistakes, then they'll grow tired of the manager for not addressing it.

:good:

Yep it's a disgrace that he's openly talking about joining Manchester United, he obviously doesn't give two shits about the fans or even the Manager. Saying that, our Manager doesn't seem to care about the Fans so that probably translates down to the players.

Totally agree with your post.

Özim
06-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Let's be honest though, how much of a bond does Nasri have with us? He's not been here that long, there isn't really the "great team spirit" Wenger talks about, we've not won anything and he's played out of position.

I'm not really surprised he'd consider Man U, after all he's got no real ties with us. Players do form bonds with clubs, but it's generally when they've spent a long time at a club, or have been in a successful group who have stayed together.

The spirit at the club is probably as bad as it's ever been, so is the mood...half the squad want to move on it seems and a lot of fans are seriously p*ssed off.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 08:02 AM
It's a total mess. We need a new manager. He's delusional and been allowed to indulge in this stupid, flawed plan for far too long. He keeps asking for more time to build a new team as if every coach needs 3 to 4 years to build a championship winning team. Total rubbish.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Even if he does sign, you have to think just like those before him, the writing would be on the wall. If he plays well this year then he could easily get his agent to sound out another club for next summer.

Letters
06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Interesting but unsurprising that people have used this as another excuse for Wenger bashing.
Modern players are mostly spoilt, unlikeable twats. :shrug:
If he goes, he goes.
There are very few players at Arsenal who I'd care about leaving.
Wishere is one, there aren't many others.

IBK
06-06-2011, 10:21 AM
My tuppence worth.

First - for all the predictable comments that Nasri's stance is justified given AW's failings, I don't believe that Nasri is motivated by improving himself and winning silverware. I think its down to money, pure and simple, and I think that there was probably an agenda there between him and his agent even when he joined the club.

To me, our lack of trophies allows players to find a ready excuse for jumping ship that allows them to be seen as ambitious, rather than the mercenaries that they are.

Because a truly ambitious player would not stop trying, in the way that Nasri did this season. And this is why I have grave reservations about making Nasri one of our higest paid players. There is a real whiff of a Greedybayor about him - and we could be looking at a similar result. A player who thinks he has made it and that it is beneath him to put the hard graft in afterward. After all, we have via Gallas, already had a glimpse of a player who has a very high opinion of himself.

We have already established a dubious reputation for paying (generally more junior) players more than they are worth. For all Cesc's mediocrity this season - Nasri has not given anything approaching the service that Cesc has given the club over time, and I do not think AW should take another of his famous 'risks' in breaking the bank for a player who is as likely to plateaeu at the overall contribution he has given this season, as to get even better.

As others have said, the main problem we have is that so many players appear to want out - and (as his agent well knows) the loss of both Nasri and Cesc will be a real blow. But half of me says that this is the end (or the beginning of the end) of an era anyway, and that to continue to be dictated to by players and to take risks by betting large wages against possible future performance is as much something that needs to be changed at our club than some of the manager's more obvious failings on the pitch.

LDG
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Interesting but unsurprising that people have used this as another excuse for Wenger bashing.
Modern players are mostly spoilt, unlikeable twats. :shrug:
If he goes, he goes.
There are very few players at Arsenal who I'd care about leaving.
Wishere is one, there aren't many others.

Agreed.

Though, should we have a mass departure, and of the quality of Cesc and Nasri, then Wenger does have some serious work to do to replace them. And in that respect, I think some can be forgiven for not trusting the guy, given the last few years.

Özim
06-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Well it is his fault to be fair.

He's the one who didn't get the contract signed up last summer (should have done if only to increase his resale value), he's the one who didn't address our problems which lead to the collapse at the end of the season, he's the one who for 6 years has been happy enough to achieve no success.

Players aren't going to want to stay in those circumstances given the choice. The whole club is about Wenger and his ways, his policies, his methods, his ideals and he never shows any sign of changing.

A lot of fans have had enough, it's not so hard to believe that many of the players don't believe in him either and prefer to look elsewhere for success.

What loyalty should Nasri have to us exactly, it's not like there's a real bond formed. I agree players are greedy these days, but at the same time the way we do things will never give us the best chance of holding onto them.

IBK
06-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Its not loyalty we are talking about. Its the fact that a player that signs for a club should be prepared, professionally to do their utmost for it. It is the mananger who - like it or not - decides what system to play. A player follows those instructions.

Maybe it is possible to earn the right to expect a club to match your ambitions - but Nasri's 3 consistent good months in 3 years falls well short of this threshold, if it does indeed exist.

As I've said, Nasri's comments telegraph the fact that its all about the money - and that he is perpared to try to hold the club to ransom for it. THIS is what rankles...together with the fact that people are prepared to ignore the fact that this attitude stinks, and to justify it by blaming the manager.

Özim
06-06-2011, 10:36 AM
The fact remains we should have sorted out his contract last summer, that way we wouldn't be in this situation and had we chosen to sell him we'd get full money for him.

As for doing your utmost, well I have to say these players clearly need someone to motivate and inspire them (most players do), AW doesn't consequently many doing give 100% and chase every ball. I think Nasri has done quite well this season until he got injured.

It may be about money, but at a club with no success it most often is, like I said when you achieve nothing in 6 years, don't spend on improving the team and collapse every season it doesn't give you much bargaining power.

I don't see why we should be expecting loyalty from a player who has been here for a relatively short period, is always played out of position and has never won anything with us. Loyalty is something that occurs over time with most players, have a close knit group who deliver success certainly helps, failing as we do every year doesn't.

Letters
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
A lot of fans have had enough

I'm one of them. But I'm not just going to make up reasons to have a dig at Wenger based on the usual papertalk which goes on at this time of the year. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. There are plenty of good reasons to criticize Wenger right now, we don't need to make ones up.

KSE Comedy Club
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Well it is his fault to be fair.

He's the one who didn't get the contract signed up last summer (should have done if only to increase his resale value), he's the one who didn't address our problems which lead to the collapse at the end of the season, he's the one who for 6 years has been happy enough to achieve no success.

Players aren't going to want to stay in those circumstances given the choice. The whole club is about Wenger and his ways, his policies, his methods, his ideals and he never shows any sign of changing.

A lot of fans have had enough, it's not so hard to believe that many of the players don't believe in him either and prefer to look elsewhere for success.

What loyalty should Nasri have to us exactly, it's not like there's a real bond formed. I agree players are greedy these days, but at the same time the way we do things will never give us the best chance of holding onto them.
And Nasri is the one who played like a stale turd for the last part of the season when he needed to stand up and be counted.

Wenger might have plenty of failings, sure, but Nasri knew what was expected of him as a 'top player' - he failed.
Why the fuck should wenger give in to his demands for more money when he has done nothing, absolutely, sod fucking-all to deserve it?

Wenger is to blame for a lot of things at the club, but Nasri stalling over a new contract isnt one of them.

Özim
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm one of them. But I'm not just going to make up reasons to have a dig at Wenger based on the usual papertalk which goes on at this time of the year. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. There are plenty of good reasons to criticize Wenger right now, we don't need to make ones up.
Well he's the one that preaches unity and spirit, so if you choose to do that and then players walk away every summer you have to take some of the blame.

Joker
06-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but Nasri was interviewed on French TV yesterday about his future. Apparently, the conversation went like this (via Arseblog)

Q: Will you extend at Arsenal?

I don’t know, I haven’t really thought about it. Discussions are taking place. I still have important games with the national team

Q: Were you contacted by Manchester?

You have to ask my agents. I have to see if there is anything concrete/true about it.Then we’ll have to ask the right questions and talk about it with the club after the Poland game with France.

It doesn't look very promising tbh. This whole situation is both an indictment of modern parasitic footballers like Nasri and on Wenger, who has unforgivable allowed this situation to develop (and not for the first time either)

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
kind of agree with Letters on this

its Nasri who needs to take the heat for his unjustified inflated ego and the way he goes advertising it
........AW may be part to blame for the way that some think it OK to spout tosh but if the guy had any decency he would shut his mouth and wait to see what the morning brings

would love Wenger to turn round and say......'Fuck off Samir, I thought you were going to do well, but must have been wrong'

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Wenger and the board have got us into a deep mess. We are in a position where there a few fringe players who should be replaced and then we struggling holding on to 2 of our 3 supposedly world class players. I don't think Nasri's contract should have been renewed last year as he hasn't done anything till this season. We would have ended up with another overpriced wanna be. The problem is much deeper than Nasri's specific case. We pick youngsters who make a name with us and then want to leave for lucrative offers under the pretext of moving to win trophies. The other problem is that it leaves the club at the mercy of youngsters who threaten to leave unless they have better contracts or they get more playing time. The only way out is to start winning, which wont happen unless we invest in the present.

KSE Comedy Club
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
This has nothing to do with Wenger.

Nasri is the one stalling because we wont pay him over a £100,000 a week because he thinks he is the french version on Messi.

Frankly, he can fuck off.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
but who will fuck off with him?

I love the way the hate threads get far more posts than the love ones!

Letters
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Well he's the one that preaches unity and spirit, so if you choose to do that and then players walk away every summer you have to take some of the blame.

I guess that's reasonable.
But players being unlikeable, spoilt, overpaid twunts who would piss off at the first big cheque waved at them is a problem throughout football though and that isn't Wenger's fault. The way he manages the players is of course but tbh none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes and the way he told Barca to piss off last summer was an example where he did get it right IMO.

IBK
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
The fact remains we should have sorted out his contract last summer, that way we wouldn't be in this situation and had we chosen to sell him we'd get full money for him.

As for doing your utmost, well I have to say these players clearly need someone to motivate and inspire them (most players do), AW doesn't consequently many doing give 100% and chase every ball. I think Nasri has done quite well this season until he got injured.

It may be about money, but at a club with no success it most often is, like I said when you achieve nothing in 6 years, don't spend on improving the team and collapse every season it doesn't give you much bargaining power.

I don't see why we should be expecting loyalty from a player who has been here for a relatively short period, is always played out of position and has never won anything with us. Loyalty is something that occurs over time with most players, have a close knit group who deliver success certainly helps, failing as we do every year doesn't.

I think that you are absolving the player for his own failings. End of the day, the players, not the manager step onto the pitch. Nasri is expecting to be paid as a 'go to' top player - while having demonstrated that he is nothing of the sort. Did RVP's efforts drop in the last 3 months of the season? Wilshere's? Sangna's? If a player is to be paid what Nasri is demanding, then he should not be looking to the manager for motivation. If he is, then he is not ready to be paid that much.

I won't comment on the contract scenario last Summer, but I find it impossible to believe that an overture was not made by the club when so many other contracts were extended. As we are seeing now, you cannot get anything sorted without the willingness of the other party to coopertate. And there would have been no reason back then for club or player to make and failed negotiations public.

One thing people might not know is that he had just signed an extended contract with Marseille when he came to Arsenal. This would suggest that he might well be looking to re-negotiate/leave now even if we had extended last Summer - given that this would have been before his so-called 'breakthrough' season.

Like I say, I am not expecting loyalty. But I see in Nasri a player who, though talented, may well be too self centred to truly realise his potential.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Nasri is a real scumbag. You can't excuse that. Wouldn't even rule out a move to Man Utd. Low class scumbag!

But, Wenger is an complete tool. How are you going to allow this player to get down to year on his contract? Why start negotiations so late on? We did the same thing with Walcott and RVP and they were frustrated but lucklily they signed. The greed of players annoy me but how naive are the people in our organisation? We just signed Chamakah on a free transfer afte the guy ran down his contract. How naive can Wenger be? You must now something about the nature of footballers by now, man, surely!

I say we cough up the cash and let him rot on the bench until January. Teach this prick a lesson. Give him what he wants but make him hate life here. He should suffer before he goes. Or if Wenger wants to keep him, he has to do a Wayne Rooney and make a very public apology.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Nasri is a real scumbag. You can't excuse that. Wouldn't even rule out a move to Man Utd. Low class scumbag!

But, Wenger is an complete tool. How are you going to allow this player to get down to year on his contract? Why start negotiations so late on? We did the same thing with Walcott and RVP and they were frustrated but lucklily they signed. The greed of players annoy me but how naive are the people in our organisation? We just signed Chamakah on a free transfer afte the guy ran down his contract. How naive can Wenger be? You must now something about the nature of footballers by now, man, surely!

I say we cough up the cash and let him rot on the bench until January. Teach this prick a lesson. Give him what he wants but make him hate life here. He should suffer before he goes. Or if Wenger wants to keep him, he has to do a Wayne Rooney and make a very public apology.
Your talking a load of crap tbh. Contract talks started last season. When our competitors could easily double his wages I'm not surprised he's looking to be off. I mean there's loyalty, and then there's being paid something resembling the market rate.

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
This has nothing to do with Wenger.

Nasri is the one stalling because we wont pay him over a £100,000 a week because he thinks he is the french version on Messi.

Frankly, he can fuck off.
I do agree with this don't get me wrong, but we've left ourselves open to this by allowing him to run down his contract.

If you were Nasri playing for a club you don't particularly have any affection for, your agent tells you he can get you 100k a week possibly at a more successful club it's not hard to see why you'd be tempted. If he had a close bond with the fans and club it would be different, but he doesn't, apart from RVP and maybe Wilshere not sure any of them have.

What's Nasri's motivation to stay other than for money?

Marc Overmars
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I guess that's reasonable.
But players being unlikeable, spoilt, overpaid twunts who would piss off at the first big cheque waved at them is a problem throughout football though and that isn't Wenger's fault. The way he manages the players is of course but tbh none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes and the way he told Barca to piss off last summer was an example where he did get it right IMO.

A portion of the blame should definitely lie at Wenger's door, this is not the first time he has faced a struggle to keep one of his best players and it certainly won't be the last, it's a by-product of being unsuccessful and we have to accept that.

We talk about how the players loyalty might lie with Wenger rather than the club, well it's neither, their loyalty is to themselves.

The whole situation is systematic of modern day football and I guess that is where the problem lies.

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I think that you are absolving the player for his own failings. End of the day, the players, not the manager step onto the pitch. Nasri is expecting to be paid as a 'go to' top player - while having demonstrated that he is nothing of the sort. Did RVP's efforts drop in the last 3 months of the season? Wilshere's? Sangna's? If a player is to be paid what Nasri is demanding, then he should not be looking to the manager for motivation. If he is, then he is not ready to be paid that much.

I won't comment on the contract scenario last Summer, but I find it impossible to believe that an overture was not made by the club when so many other contracts were extended. As we are seeing now, you cannot get anything sorted without the willingness of the other party to coopertate. And there would have been no reason back then for club or player to make and failed negotiations public.

One thing people might not know is that he had just signed an extended contract with Marseille when he came to Arsenal. This would suggest that he might well be looking to re-negotiate/leave now even if we had extended last Summer - given that this would have been before his so-called 'breakthrough' season.

Like I say, I am not expecting loyalty. But I see in Nasri a player who, though talented, may well be too self centred to truly realise his potential.
I'm not absolving him, it is down to players to step onto the pitch, but we've all seen the effect of a new manager and how players can either be re-energised or demoralised.....for most players the manager is where motivation comes from.

I agree he's asking for a lot, but he's in a position to...if other clubs want him and he doesn't feel any bond with us then why would he want to stay other than for money, there needs to be a good reason for players to want to stay.

As for the contract situtation, we've seen it many times before, we're terrible at planning these things and let players run their contracts down too often, it's nothing new.

Nasri may well be a mercernary, but you seem to think he owes the club something....I don't really see that.

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
A portion of the blame should definitely lie at Wenger's door, this is not the first time he has faced a struggle to keep one of his best players and it certainly won't be the last, it's a by-product of being unsuccessful and we have to accept that.

We talk about how the players loyalty might lie with Wenger rather than the club, well it's neither, their loyalty is to themselves.

The whole situation is systematic of modern day football and I guess that is where the problem lies.
Again great post, if you're not successful and you aren't perceived to be trying to improve (by signing players etc) it's always going to be hard to keep your better players.

In modern day football the grass is always greener on the other side, in the situation we're in right now it's not hard to see why a player might believe that.

Money is really the only real motivator with a club in our situation, we don't have the pull factors we once had i.e world start, great football, success, a manager you really want to work under, ambition.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
How does Sir Alex prevent his top players from leaving?

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Wenger and the board have got us into a deep mess. We are in a position where there a few fringe players who should be replaced and then we struggling holding on to 2 of our 3 supposedly world class players. I don't think Nasri's contract should have been renewed last year as he hasn't done anything till this season. We would have ended up with another overpriced wanna be. The problem is much deeper than Nasri's specific case. We pick youngsters who make a name with us and then want to leave for lucrative offers under the pretext of moving to win trophies. The other problem is that it leaves the club at the mercy of youngsters who threaten to leave unless they have better contracts or they get more playing time. The only way out is to start winning, which wont happen unless we invest in the present.

This.

The board and Wenger have fucked this club, up, down and sideways. They have completely neglected the team and thrown all their energies into the finances of the club. And they've all done rather well out of it as a result, none of them have been failing for the last 6 years. They've built an attractive investment (in terms of the money) and flogged the result. It's all about the money at Arsenal now, football doesn't come into the picture. The board's words don't match their deeds, they've watched these collapses year after year and done nothing to correct the problems. And they've let Wenger roll out the same old crap which has resulted in the same old crap. We have a boardroom full of con-artists, fact. And a manager who executes their con-job. The bigger stadium was supposed to be about bigger revenues and competing on the bigger stage. Instead we've gone backwards in all matters connected to the team, although we've surged ahead in areas the board obviously finds important - the share price, the ticket prices, property sales. Does anyone think this is a coincidence? And does anyone think the players can't see this if it's clear to the fans who are on the outside and firmly excluded? It certainly IS Wenger's fault. And it sure as hell is the board's fault. They have engineered and executed the demise of this club for their own personal gain. Just look at the evidence, no speculation is required when you look at the end result of this ongoing project. Who gained, who lost? Follow the money, where did it all go? Nasri has a reputation for simply speaking out, whatever's on his mind he says it. Nasri is a modern day footballer being a modern day footballer. Nothing much to admire there, he's the same as all the rest. In two years Jack Wilshere will be being courted by Man Utd. That's where he's going, btw. He's a Utd player all over, not an Arsenal player - not any more anyway. We saw Djourou and Senderos this weekend - those are Arsenal players now. Shit. The money got taken out of the team and put in the board's pocket. End of. Wenger helped them do it all the way without raising a hint of a complaint. He's just as guilty. They all need to fuck off, the board, Wenger, the mercenaries. This club is going down whatever happens. We're heading for mid-table over the next few seasons, no way are we heading up. The board claimed we would be competing at the top, but we can't pay top wages. So that way just hot air. We're expecting players to come here and bust a gut based on love of the club. That's naive. If the fucking board can't be bothered to love the club and the Manager can't be bothered to love anything other than the balance sheet and even the fans are fed up then expecting the players to rescue the club is unrealistic. Maybe in years gone by that might have happened, but not in this day and age.

We, my friends, are well and truly fucked and the board and Wenger have put us where we are today. Deliberately. Add up all the facts and that's what you get. A bunch of cunts with their champagne and a French stooge who thinks the fans are going to keep paying top money to watch him manage a set of accounts rather than the football team they have followed all these years.

It's all downhill from here.

Dog Toffee
06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Why is everything that goes wrong with Arsenal always Wengers fault.

Whats he supposed to do, force him to sign a contract? Maybe Wenger should get a little credit for finding Nasri for less than we sold Hleb for, who most ppl on here thought was our best player for most of last season, and made it into the PFA team of the season.

It would suck to lose Nasri but he's hardly acted as badly as alot of premiership players recently (Rooney anyone?). I think he'l sign eventually but it aint Wengers fault if the guys a cunt.

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Success, signing players and when the time comes paying big money to his top stars.

Players know that if they come to Man U, it almost comes with guaranteed medals.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 11:45 AM

ITT blinkered mugs.

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Whats he supposed to do, force him to sign a contract? Maybe Wenger should get a little credit for finding Nasri for less than we sold Hleb for, who most ppl on here thought was our best player for most of last season, and made it into the PFA team of the season.

It would suck to lose Nasri but he's hardly acted as badly as alot of premiership players recently (Rooney anyone?). I think he'l sign eventually but it aint Wengers fault if the guys a cunt.

(Member of MOC)

Wenger treats the players as family. That's stupidly naive. He keeps getting punched in the face and he comes back for more. He's an intelligent man, do you think he would put up with this if he was genuinely concerned with top rated players heading out the door? Look at the recent history, we sign players on the cheap, pay them slightly over the odds, get what we can out of them until they are established and then flog them when the wage demands come in or they are trying to settle on a final contract - hence the stupid 30+ rule. Even loyal servants like Gilberto have been treated like shit and kicked out the door. Can this be an accident? Or is it a convenient way for Wenger and the board to point at the players and deflect the blame. We were supposed to be moving so we could boost the finances and translate that to success on the pitch. We've boosted the finances all right but that's where the deal ended. Oh so very convenient for those who stand to make the money. And convenient for the players who come here and use the club as a shop window. We're being scammed and have been for years now.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo - they all had there price tbh. It's funny how there ignored by those who eulogise over SAF.

selassie
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Your talking a load of crap tbh. Contract talks started last season. When our competitors could easily double his wages I'm not surprised he's looking to be off. I mean there's loyalty, and then there's being paid something resembling the market rate.

Contract talks started last season???

Jesus christ? You mean we've been in negotiations with him for almost a year?

This is a joke right?

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo - they all had there price tbh. It's funny how there ignored by those who eulogise over SAF.
Noone's ignored those, Tevez didn't feel wanted at the club, Ronaldo they got a shedload for (every player has his price) and Rooney signed on for big money.

Barca and Real are two clubs which every player will want to play for given the chance to be fair, even in our prime we'd have found it hard to keep players these clubs wanted. The point of the stadium was to change that, it is changing but in the wrong direction.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
success, signing players and when the time comes paying big money to his top stars.

Players know that if they come to man u, it almost comes with guaranteed medals.

noone's ignored those, tevez didn't feel wanted at the club, ronaldo they got a shedload for (every player has his price) and rooney signed on for big money.

Özim
06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
You'll notice I said in the first comment paying big money to his stars which is what he did with Rooney. Noone would have refused the money they got for Ronaldo...and Tevez he didn't seem too bothered about if we're honest.

Still they don't go through the loss of players every summer at least.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Contract talks started last season???

Jesus christ? You mean we've been in negotiations with him for almost a year?

This is a joke right?

Yes, this has been dragging on for a really long time, we usually offer contract extensions when players have 24 to 18 months left on there contract - like we have just done to RVP.

Our wage structure is a structural problem with the club - we just can't offer more money, it's amazing to see how many fans jump on this as a weakness of Wenger clearly isn't. Getting transfers in... Now that's another problem.

And where was Dein when Ashley Cole left?

Basically, if your unable to understand the relationship between success and money, after this season then there's no hope for you.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 12:01 PM

What's the load o crap? The fact that we didn't tie up his contract earlier and act earlier when he was stalling? The fact that we've seen this happen in our team before and that we've actually captialised off players delaying contract talks ourselves? The player is scum, no doubt but how many times can you get done like this before you start putting procedures in order to make sure it doesn't happen again? We knew Nasri had potential and is worth a bit on the Market, so shouldn't we make sure we protect our major assets? On the pitch he may be lukewarm at times but his Market value is pretty high. At least £15m but with a year left on his contract we've screwed ourselves. Even from a business sense it's naive.

selassie
06-06-2011, 12:03 PM

This isn't Wengers fault per say but he's not blameless in all of this either. It's no coincidence we go through this every single season, sure players want to leave Man United, Citeh & Chelsea but not their top stars every single summer.

I'm hoping that if Nasri really doesn't want to stay Arsene touts him around Europe and goes looking for a PROPER replacement, not an internal replacement like promoting some youth, a proper player who can make a difference to our team now.

KSE Comedy Club
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

He sucks them off?

:shrug:

selassie
06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, this has been dragging on for a really long time , we usually offer contract extensions when players have 24 to 18 months left on there contract - like we have just done to RVP.

Our wage structure is a structural problem with the club - we just can't offer more money, it's amazing to see how many fans jump on this as a weakness of Wenger clearly isn't. Getting transfers in... Now that's another problem.

And where was Dein when Ashley Cole left?

Basically, if your unable to understand the relationship between success and money, after this season then there's no hope for you.

The parts I've highlighted are failings of the club/Wenger. Why on earth do we allow these negotiations to drag on for so long? It is absolutely ridiculous and a problem in itself. We should set the player/agent a time limit and if the contracts not signed then the player should be made available for transfer.

Our wage structure isn't a problem really, the problem we have is that Arsene has these ideals about having a fair wage structure and subsequently pays squad players like Eboue, Denilson & Rosicky huge wages. Not to mention the wages we pay to our youth. You take away 3 or 4 of these players who contribute next to nothing and the wages are there to satisfy our star players.

Look I'm not saying we should throw money around like it's going out of fashion, but we have problems in the squad that need to be addressed and these problems go hand in hand with our crazy wage structure.

I understand the relationship between success and money, I also understand that we have a deeply flawed wage structure at our club that is holding us back right now.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
What's the load o crap? The fact that we didn't tie up his contract earlier and act earlier when he was stalling? The fact that we've seen this happen in our team before and that we've actually captialised off players delaying contract talks ourselves? The player is scum, no doubt but how many times can you get done like this before you start putting procedures in order to make sure it doesn't happen again? We knew Nasri had potential and is worth a bit on the Market, so shouldn't we make sure we protect our major assets? On the pitch he may be lukewarm at times but his Market value is pretty high. At least £15m but with a year left on his contract we've screwed ourselves. Even from a business sense it's naive.
The club did try to get him to sign a contract, there is not much that the club can do and the contract will be signed only if the player wants. The club can however sell him to cash in, but this can be done only when the window opens which is now. Don't think the club could have handled this particular case better. however the fact that we developed an image of a club that will not win anything equipping players to bargain for insane wages or leave for clubs who guarantee trophies. Looks like every time we resist big investment we are digging ourselves into a bigger hole.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
The wage structure is like some communist regime. ;) Pay everyone a similar wage so everyone feels equal and no one feels like their being mistreated. It's supposed to enhance team harmony! It does the opposite.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm almost certain that if we got a new manager, not only would he have to continue the same wage policy, Wenger at his new club (assuming it was a big one) wouldn't. We're pretty much clinging on to the hope of UFEA's fair play rules evening the playing field. If it doesn't, we're fucked.

Cripps_orig
06-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Because hes the manager.

Force him? No but you can see why players want to leave and not play under a manager who doesnt have a clue. Nasri had a good couple of months indeed and then disappeared.

Is this the same Rooney who signed a new contract at Man Utd and is going to stay there for quite some time? Good comparison :good:

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
The club did try to get him to sign a contract, there is not much that the club can do and the contract will be signed only if the player wants. The club can however sell him to cash in, but this can be done only when the window opens which is now. Don't think the club could have handled this particular case better. however the fact that we developed an image of a club that will not win anything equipping players to bargain for insane wages or leave for clubs who guarantee trophies. Looks like every time we resist big investment we are digging ourselves into a bigger hole.

Do you think we left Cesc with a year to go on his contract? Was Rooney down to his last two years when Manure were trying to get him to sign a new one? If we started negotiating early before he hits the 24 month mark and he didn't want to sign, you sell him because another year won't make a difference. Unless, you think winning a trophy will change his mind. We took a major gamble and we really should be signing players to 4/5 year deals instead of 3.

selassie
06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm almost certain that if we got a new manager, not only would he have to continue the same wage policy, Wenger at his new club (assuming it was a big one) wouldn't. We're pretty much clinging on to the hope of UFEA's fair play rules evening the playing field. If it doesn't, we're fucked.

It's Wenger's policy, it wasn't enforced on him. He wouldn't get away with it anywhere else. ;)

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Do you think we left Cesc with a year to go on his contract? Was Rooney down to his last two years when Manure were trying to get him to sign a new one? If we started negotiating early before he hits the 24 month mark and he didn't want to sign, you sell him because another year won't make a difference. Unless, you think winning a trophy will change his mind. We took a major gamble and we really should be signing players to 4/5 year deals instead of 3. And when they flop AW inevitably gets blamed for it too? Can't really win tbh.

This wouldn't be a problem if we just went ahead and replaced Nasri with Hazard - but we can't, we slide backwards for a season or two and that's the bigger problem imo and if you want to blame AW for anything, this is it.

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
It's Wenger's policy, it wasn't enforced on him. He wouldn't get away with it anywhere else. ;)

It's a policy agreed between him and the club. AW's regularly talked about how we wouldn't mind freely spending money - AST all say financial restrictions are imposed on the board.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
My two pence on what happened with Tavez,Cronaldo at Manure. Along with Rooney they had three forwards who all had to be regular first teamer, which was not possible unless they played three upfront all the time(they tried doing that for most part of that season). Add to that the ego that top players have. For all top team you need at least 3 players for each position and in the team you need to mix it with players who are at their prime, a bit past it and the young ones. Unless you do this there will always going to be players who want to leave. That said when Tavez and Cronaldo left Red nose handled it well, he got the dope and then went and bought an often poor Berbatov (being the top scorer this season) and Valencia, and augmented it further with technically average goal machine in Hernandez.

selassie
06-06-2011, 12:45 PM
It's a policy agreed between him and the club. AW's regularly talked about how we wouldn't mind freely spending money - AST all say financial restrictions are imposed on the board.

I don't see the link between our current policy and freely spending money/financial restrictions. Nobody is asking for the club to bring in players who all want huge wages.

At the end of the day the money is distributed the way it is. There's no difference between paying 1 player 124k per week or 2 players £62k per week, give or take bonuses etc.

Wenger has a budget for salaries and distributes it the way he wants to. What's stopping him from shipping out 2 or 3 non playing under performers who are on healthy salaries in order to bring in 1 quality player on a good salary?

Our squad is bloated as it is, and bloated with a lot of dross might I add.

Why did we even need to change our wage structure? To secure the best young talent maybe? What other reasons?

As P&G stated, albeit with sarcasm...our wage structure it's like some communist regime.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Do you think we left Cesc with a year to go on his contract? Was Rooney down to his last two years when Manure were trying to get him to sign a new one? If we started negotiating early before he hits the 24 month mark and he didn't want to sign, you sell him because another year won't make a difference. Unless, you think winning a trophy will change his mind. We took a major gamble and we really should be signing players to 4/5 year deals instead of 3.
Cesc with his performance had given ample reasons for the club to approach him before 24 months was left. Nasri till this season (that too for around 3-4 months) had shown no signs of converting promise to performance. I would rather that they improve contracts of only performers. I would not want a Bendtner being paid 52K for no reason (not sure if this is true, but in principle i don't like this). But in not signing established players, anyone who has had a decent spell can now hold the club to a ransom. Remember the Wojchec threat that he would quit if he didn't start games. There was also a protracted discussion with Ozyakup on him signig an extension as well.

IBK
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Problem is that before Nasri hit the 24 month mark he had been with us for less than a year...and had done nothing to suggest that he had the talent and consistency to become a really top player. So signing a new deal then might have left us simply with a large wage bill that wasn't justified. Same goes for giving our players 4/5 year contracts.

Its a problem intrinsic with the model we have followed as a club for the past 5 years - pluck relative unknowns from foreign/lower leagues and you have limited ability to predict how they will turn out. You have to offer shorter contracts and rely upon them showing their worth soon enough to be able to negotiate with time to spare. Which may leave you in a weaker position.

I have no problem with this at the time - albeit that the inherent weaknesses of our model have now become evident.

What I would question more is how the likes of Hleb; Flamini; Nasri are able to turn it on when they want to be in the shop window and are eying up the next door neighbour, but not otherwise.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
@NS Hleb might be an exception. The Barca offer came in as an accident and Helb got swayed not sure he worked on it. That said we all agree to the trend. How much of his contract does Arshavin have left?If he is not sold he could be the stand out player for us next season

LDG
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
@NS Hleb might be an exception. The Barca offer came in as an accident and Helb got swayed not sure he worked on it. That said we all agree to the trend. How much of his contract does Arshavin have left?If he is not sold he could be the stand out player for us next season

In some ways, I'd prefer Arshavin, should he get fit, to play in the covetted "hole" position. That's where the lad has always played, and I swear he'd be more effective than anyone else.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 01:16 PM
In some ways, I'd prefer Arshavin, should he get fit, to play in the covetted "hole" position. That's where the lad has always played, and I swear he'd be more effective than anyone else.
Yes. The fact that he doesn't get to play there and our refusal to strengthen by buying is probably what turned him into what he is now. There is also a soft corner because he has not turned mercenary as yet and has generally looked like putting in an effort.

Dennis
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Send him back to Lesbos

Grebbo
06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Does anyone care if we sell this little lesbian twat?

Like most of our players he's vastly overrated.

Cripps_orig
06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont care if we sell any of our players as long as we bring in players but we wont so we might as well keep the ones we have.

We wont do that either.

This club is truly fucked up

McNamara That Ghost...
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm not arsed and I mean that because he is just doing what is best for himself.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I care because it paints a bad picture for the club. What sort of message would it send out if United were able to sign one of our best? Not that I think he'll go there but the fact he didn't rule it out leaves me concerned at that prospect.

If Nasri wants to go, fine, but what will do to compensate for the loss? History suggests not a lot when key players have left in the past.

The Wengerbabies
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Fuck him tbh.

Shows that we're a selling club though.

gunsofashburtongrove
06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
I care because it paints a bad picture for the club. What sort of message would it send out if United were able to sign one of our best? Not that I think he'll go there but the fact he didn't rule it out leaves me concerned at that prospect.

If Nasri wants to go, fine, but what will do to compensate for the loss? History suggests not a lot when key players have left in the past.

Completely agree

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Problem is that before Nasri hit the 24 month mark he had been with us for less than a year...and had done nothing to suggest that he had the talent and consistency to become a really top player. So signing a new deal then might have left us simply with a large wage bill that wasn't justified. Same goes for giving our players 4/5 year contracts.

Its a problem intrinsic with the model we have followed as a club for the past 5 years - pluck relative unknowns from foreign/lower leagues and you have limited ability to predict how they will turn out. You have to offer shorter contracts and rely upon them showing their worth soon enough to be able to negotiate with time to spare. Which may leave you in a weaker position.

I have no problem with this at the time - albeit that the inherent weaknesses of our model have now become evident.

What I would question more is how the likes of Hleb; Flamini; Nasri are able to turn it on when they want to be in the shop window and are eying up the next door neighbour, but not otherwise.

With Sagna we signed him on a 3 year deal and then extended it after a year. Nasri has potential and Wenger sees him as a major first team player and someone with a long future at the club. Why not sign him on a longer contract when he first arrived? We've done ourselves over. He's not a little known foreign player and we knew his potential before we signed him. With the bosman rule in place and that other rule about players being able to buy themselves out of their contract, we should have protected ourselves.

But, it is what it is and Wenger must decide if he's a manager going after silverware or a bookkeeper. If he can't hold on to his players than his philosophy will never work. Nasri has a nerve but let's be honest, it's not as if we can't afford it. Sign him up and demand the required performance out of him. If he can't produce, sell him for a fee we can command. We should have leverage on this one not the player. At the moment it looks like we're going to lose the player for a cut down price or he's going on a free. Stupidity!

The Wengerbabies
06-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Samir Nasri has infuriated Arsenal by refusing to dismiss a move to Manchester United.

The midfielder issued what amounts to a 'come and get me plea' to United manager Sir Alex Ferguson with his comments in a French TV interview.

His stance echoes that of Spurs star Luka Modric, who last week dropped more than a few broad hints about a possible switch to Old Trafford.

Nasri is coming into the final year of his contract at the Emirates and Arsene Wenger may be forced to cash-in rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

The Arsenal manager insists his 23-year-old French international will not be joining United - but unless Nasri commits himself to a new deal soon, Arsenal may have no choice but to let him leave the club.

Nasri, on international duty ahead of France's Euro 2012 qualifier with Poland, said on TF1: "I don't know if I will sign a new contract. Anyway, the discussions are ongoing.

"For the moment, I don't think about this. We will speak about it after the match with Poland.

"Do I want to go to Man United? First, we should see if it's real and if it is concrete."

Ferguson is determined to revamp United's midfield for next season, especially after seeing that particular department swamped by Barcelona in the Champions League final.

He wants Modric to replace the retired Paul Scholes, while Nasri is earmarked as a successor to Ryan Giggs.

Nasri's international colleague Patrice Evra infuriated Arsenal fans ahead of United's Champions League final with Barcelona when he claimed the Arsenal player would have to head to Old Trafford to fulfil his ambition for silverware.

Evra said: "Little prince, if you want to become king you know where you should go.
"Every year at Manchester is a guarantee of a title.
"I have been here five years and cannot keep count of the trophies I've won - 12? 13? 15?"

But Wenger remains determined not to lose one of his star players to Ferguson.
"One thing's for sure: we're not selling him to Manchester United," he said. "Are we still in discussions with Nasri? Yes, but we are still in disagreement over the financial contract on offer, which we haven't settled.

"We are trying to extend his deal."

Arsenal, who have Clichy in a similar position, had hoped to secure Nasri on a new five-year deal worth around £90,000 a week.
Both players' contracts expire in the summer of 2012 and Wenger is unwilling to allow them to leave for nothing under the Bosman ruling, as Mathieu Flamini did for Milan three years ago.

Nasri played in France's 1-1 draw in Belarus on Friday and is expected to feature in tomorrow's friendly in Poland; talks will resume upon his return.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/come-and-get-me-arsenal-star-samir-nasri-tells-manchester-united-16008365.html#ixzz1OVRlHV00

AKBapologist
06-06-2011, 02:49 PM
With Sagna we signed him on a 3 year deal and then extended it after a year. Nasri has potential and Wenger sees him as a major first team player and someone with a long future at the club. Why not sign him on a longer contract when he first arrived? We've done ourselves over. He's not a little known foreign player and we knew his potential before we signed him. With the bosman rule in place and that other rule about players being able to buy themselves out of their contract, we should have protected ourselves.

But, it is what it is and Wenger must decide if he's a manager going after silverware or a bookkeeper. If he can't hold on to his players than his philosophy will never work. Nasri has a nerve but let's be honest, it's not as if we can't afford it. Sign him up and demand the required performance out of him. If he can't produce, sell him for a fee we can command. We should have leverage on this one not the player. At the moment it looks like we're going to lose the player for a cut down price or he's going on a free. Stupidity!
HAHAHAHA - dumbest thing I've head today.

I remember you lot calling Nasri a flop after his first year unlike Sagna who was word class after his first season here... Now your castrating Wenger for not extending his contract then. Blinkered.

Bottom line is Nasri has had only really performed 6 months out of 3 years. His leaving wouldn't be a problem if 1) we weren't having a massive clear out already, 2) we'd replace him with quality.

Master Splinter
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Come and get me pleas :bow:.

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

I remember you lot calling Nasri a flop after his first year unlike Sagna who was word class after his first season here... Now your castrating Wenger for not extending his contract then. Blinkered.

Bottom line is Nasri has had only really performed 6 months out of 3 years. His leaving wouldn't be a problem if 1) we weren't having a massive clear out already, 2) we'd replace him with quality.

Use you're brain.

It's about leverage. We could easily demand £15m for Nasri, £20m in fact, but you can't do that when a player is on the last year of his contract. Does that make any sense to you?

If the relationship is sour, at least do what we did with Ashely Cole, sign him and then sell him when we're in a better position to bargain. Right now, the little prick has us pinned to a corner.

Nasri had a decent first season, his second was a flop but that's besides the point. It's about the original contract he signed. For a club building on potential and expecting players to get better with age, (around 23 according to Wenger) we sign this kid up on a 3 year deal, which means, just as he's starting to show his true potential, he's out of contract! For older players, I can understand a 3 year deal, but for someone we're signing based on potential, he should have a longer deal, especially when we're talking about a player that's just about to hit his form. Even if he's a flop, at least we can say the guy has x amount of years left on his contract when we want to sell. It's what we've done with Cesc.

I don't care if he stays or goes. I don't really like the guy. But I find it odd that we'd give a short term contract to player that is supposed to be here on the long term and identified as someone with loads of potential. Right now, he knows he's hitting form and his stock is up, so he's taking advantage of the situation. We should have known better and protected ourselves.

Master Splinter
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Use you're brain.

Sorry, but I had to point it out!

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/moran-7512.jpg

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
We should have known better and protected ourselves

these words are increasingly being used and it does look like the only thing we have been trying to do well is save money in order to pay off the money we owe

Kano
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM

i heard the same from people at the games, wenger gets a bollocking for offering new contracts to players not worth it and last summer, nasri fell into that category. as soon as he upped his game we tried to pin him down but he done exactly the same as flamini but without the logic.

and if anyone is to blame it is gazidis who was employed to sort out contracts its not wengers job

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Sorry, but I had to point it out!

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/moran-7512.jpg

Lol, the irony. My grammar is awful. But you catch my drift. In this day and age, you have to tie players down to longer contracts. A 5 year deal but we renegotiate when they have 2 years left.

Speaking of contracts, how comes we found the time to offer Eboue and Rosicky contracts, but these players are likely to be sold this summer? Before Eduardo left we extended his contract and then sold him the following season. We can do that for fringe players but not for 1st team players. It's silly. This guy shouldn't be in the driving seat.

Toronto Gooner
06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Use you're brain.

It's about leverage. We could easily demand £15m for Nasri, £20m in fact, but you can't do that when a player is on the last year of his contract. Does that make any sense to you?

If the relationship is sour, at least do what we did with Ashely Cole, sign him and then sell him when we're in a better position to bargain. Right now, the little prick has us pinned to a corner.

Nasri had a decent first season, his second was a flop but that's besides the point. It's about the original contract he signed. For a club building on potential and expecting players to get better with age, (around 23 according to Wenger) we sign this kid up on a 3 year deal, which means, just as he's starting to show his true potential, he's out of contract! For older players, I can understand a 3 year deal, but for someone we're signing based on potential, he should have a longer deal, especially when we're talking about a player that's just about to hit his form. Even if he's a flop, at least we can say the guy has x amount of years left on his contract when we want to sell. It's what we've done with Cesc.

I don't care if he stays or goes. I don't really like the guy. But I find it odd that we'd give a short term contract to player that is supposed to be here on the long term and identified as someone with loads of potential. Right now, he knows he's hitting form and his stock is up, so he's taking advantage of the situation. We should have known better and protected ourselves.
Okay, a quick bit of correction: Nasri signed a 4-year contract when he joined Arsenal. In May 2008, Nasri signed a 3-year contract extension with Marseille. In July, 2008, he joined Arsenal. The alleged rationale for the contract extension was to allow Marseille to get a better price for him.

My recollection was that talk about a contract extension started at the start of this last season, and that were various comments about focussing on the action on the pitch with the contract talks to be resumed at a later date. I am not certain but I think that starting to discuss a new contract prior to half of the existing term has been completed is nonsensical. Now, have Arsenal let things get to far by letting get to just 1 year left? Possibly but Nasri is either using Man U's alleged interest as a bargaining chip or he is showing considerably less loyalty to Arsenal. his manager, and the fans than he showed to Marseille.

While he is a very good player and could develop in a great player, I will not mourn his departure if he chooses to leave. Some people have equated this situation with Flamini's. The only similarities that I can see is that both players are Arsenal players and both are French. Flamini only showed any real competence in the final year of his contract, and even then I do not think that he did enough to justify any of the "deification" that some people have heaped on him. Nasri is more talented than Flamini but even he can be replaced.

Master Splinter
06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Speaking of contracts, how comes we found the time to offer Eboue and Rosicky contracts, but these players are likely to be sold this summer? Before Eduardo left we extended his contract and then sold him the following season. We can do that for fringe players but not for 1st team players. It's silly. This guy shouldn't be in the driving seat.
It's a shame about Rosicky. I think he just lost it after constant injuries.

I think it's simply that players like Fabregas and Nasri are far more valuable than Eboue. And agents and their players hold all the power now. They can bargain all they want. If Eboue's agent threatened his leaving, no-one would care. There's nothing you can do unless you are Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man United. I'm sure if nothing changes, the whole of Europe will just become one big SPL.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
So basically

Football. :lol:

Awful sport.

Toronto Gooner
06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Lol, the irony. My grammar is awful. But you catch my drift. In this day and age, you have to tie players down to longer contracts. A 5 year deal but we renegotiate when they have 2 years left.

I do not disagree with the concept that the club has to be more proactive. However, when should a club start negotiating a new contract or an extension? Any earlier than half way through the contract term is poor business, IMO.

Master Splinter
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
So basically

Football. :lol:

Awful sport.
Pretty much.

It's not really sport when money is the prominent component of success.

The Wengerbabies
06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Pretty much.

It's not really sport when money is the prominent component of success.
Only at Arsenal tbh :trophy:

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I do not disagree with the concept that the club has to be more proactive. However, when should a club start negotiating a new contract or an extension? Any earlier than half way through the contract term is poor business, IMO.

I think we should be doing 5 year deals for players that have serious potential. Nasri wasn't a hidden gem type player. Along with Ribery and Benzema, he was tipped as the future of French football. It's not always possible to get 5 years and if we find ourselves in this sort of situation, you bite the bullet, pay up if he wants huge wages and do what Marseille did.

Toronto Gooner
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I think we should be doing 5 year deals for players that have serious potential. Nasri wasn't a hidden gem type player. Along with Ribery and Benzema, he was tipped as the future of French football. It's not always possible to get 5 years and if we find ourselves in this sort of situation, you bite the bullet, pay up if he wants huge wages and do what Marseille did.
Good point PnG. It is a delicate balance between showing confidence in a player and being too "generous". Prior to the first half of last season, I suspect that most fans would have considered giving Nasri a 5 year contract when he joined as excessive.

Özim
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure about that to be honest, we paid good money for him and thus giving him 5 years makes good economic sense. If we're not happy we always know we can sell him and get our money back. Now I'm not so sure.

I don't think we should give the kids long contracts as we don't have to pay out much and thus have little to lose, but players we pay good money for should be signed long term.

Toronto Gooner
06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure about that to be honest, we paid good money for him and thus giving him 5 years makes good economic sense. If we're not happy we always know we can sell him and get our money back. Now I'm not so sure.

I don't think we should give the kids long contracts as we don't have to pay out much and thus have little to lose, but players we pay good money for should be signed long term.
I do not disagree but do wonder if there is some league/UEFA rule that addresses this? Is it an Arsenal policy to only give 3 or 4 year contracts to new players?

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I do not disagree but do wonder if there is some league/UEFA rule that addresses this? Is it an Arsenal policy to only give 3 or 4 year contracts to new players?

Cesc has a long contract with us. If we're all about building for the future and keeping this team together then we have to do a much better job on the business side of things.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
This idea of keeping them together is merely a nice thought, in reality Wenger has found it extremely difficult to do this because the team is not successful. Look at the team that started the CL final, how many are still here? Actually, a more relevant comparison would be the best team we've had since the invincibles, which was the 07/08 lot. How many of those are still here? Wenger should stop deluding himself by thinking he can keep an unsuccessful team together. Even the likes of Denilson and Bendtner who represented the notion of developing together from a young age have seen enough. In a few years if we're still trophyless, I imagine the line up will once again have a very different look to it. It's a never ending cycle.

I just feel Wenger's ideology is completely flawed. Footballers only care about themselves and Wenger is barking up the wrong tree with his dewy-eyed approach, it seems very naive from someone as intelligent as he is. In the past, he's been stabbed in the back a few times by the players that owe their big break to him and Nasri looks like he could be the next one.

Kano
06-06-2011, 05:57 PM
what if he didn't want a 5 year contract. robinho didnt at milan, nor did cole at liverpool and sneijder at inter milan or villa at barca

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Those guys have got more to bargain with because they're big players with experience. You're not buying based on potential with those guys. You expect them to deliver straight off the bat.

It's not always possible to get a 5 year deal, but as I said before, if we can't get a long term deal, just make sure you don't let the player run down his contract and force your hand. If he does, we still have a card to play. Just give him the money and tell him that we expect a return. If it gets him to step his game up, great stuff, but if he continues with this lukewarm form, then sell him, like we did with Adebayor and Cole. Just don't let him walk on a cut down price or free transfer.

Kano
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
his agent may well have advised against a 5 year deal to give him this sort of advantage at whatever club he signed for.

so you mean that after a year at arsenal, with three years left offer him a new contract? if not that then after two years? after neither of which he had lived up to that potential. as soon as he did the club offered him a contract.

if he had continued as he did after the first two years his value wouldve gone down to the similar level he is being touted for now not for the £15 mill he was bought for. regardless if he signed a new contract or not. a new contract only protects sell on value when the player actually performs

fakeyank
06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
If he decides to stay and signs another contract, will he still be booed like Adebayor was? IMO, no... I think Adebayor just had the rough end of the stick from the fans. I never understood why.. could be his looks, his english or his teeth! :unsure:

Özim
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
If he decides to stay and signs another contract, will he still be booed like Adebayor was? IMO, no... I think Adebayor just had the rough end of the stick from the fans. I never understood why.. could be his looks, his english or his teeth! :unsure:
His ego....and the fact he spoke in the 3rd person. Also the fact he liked to beat up his teammates....doesn't go down well.:lol:

budesonide
06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

I am sorry but that is patently false! Just a couple of seasons ago, AW said if he was give 100million to spend he will give it back!! ---- that is from the horse's own mouth, matey.

He made his bed; let him lie in it.

GP
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I am sorry but that is patently false! Just a couple of seasons ago, AW said if he was give 100million to spend he will give it back!! ---- that is from the horse's own mouth, matey.

And you believed him? :lol:

budesonide
06-06-2011, 07:21 PM

You could say the same for every player in our squad then, couldn't you. None of them perform consistently enough to justify their paycheck. Who is to blame then?

Kano
06-06-2011, 07:25 PM
how many footballers can ever justify their ridiculous salaries

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
how many footballers can ever justify their ridiculous salaries

All of them, for as long as the fans keep paying up. It will take the fans staying away to change the game.

budesonide
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM

oh yes i did; I have no reason not to. He is an arrogant coc*k

Kano
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
in relation to the game they can't, only through football revenue they can

sky have inflated their salaries not the punters

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 08:04 PM
in relation to the game they can't, only through football revenue they can

sky have inflated their salaries not the punters

Sky has punters too, if nobody tuned in Sky wouldn't renew the contract.

GP
06-06-2011, 08:16 PM
oh yes i did; I have no reason not to. He is an arrogant coc*k

So, everything he says is true?

Kano
06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
you'd be relying on people dropping their tv subscriptions not only from the sports packages but from their other more profitable areas. some sort of weird utopia that can never happen

Power n Glory
06-06-2011, 08:22 PM

I think it's worth looking into his days at Monaco and his philosophy back then. He's heavily influenced by the Ajax set up and back then he believed the key to success was building a strong team and keeping them together. What we're seeing at Arsenal isn't born out of circumstance. It's his firm belief about how a football club should be run. He won one title and a league cup with Monaco and that was it. Why? How did it all come crashing down after a good start early on? Did he start to dig his heels in like we're seeing today?

budesonide
06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
So, everything he says is true?

no but his track record proves them to be:

Wenger justified his continuing cautious transfer policy, saying: “You can do it (Manchester City’s) way, buying the best players in the world. What I want to show is that it works our way as well.” http://www.free-football.tv/news/Ill-Do-It-My-Way-Wenger.html

Back in 2006:

"We are a team who had to change a few players, but the players coming through are top quality and they will develop. This season we have beaten Liverpool and Manchester United well.

"We are struggling a little bit at the moment because we play many, many games and had to fight very hard to play in the Champions League."
"But I am responsible, I do the job and I do it like I want to do. I know where I am going and I will do it my way."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/I'll+do+it+my+way,+insists+Wenger.-a0158861792

that doesn't sound like a someone making things up. That sounds like a misguided coc*k

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
you'd be relying on people dropping their tv subscriptions not only from the sports packages but from their other more profitable areas. some sort of weird utopia that can never happen

I agree it's not going to happen but it's a pretty fucked up world when the idea of sentient human beings cancelling Sky TV in significant numbers is viewed as a weird utopia. Nonetheless, as long as people continue to pay, these players are going to be pulling in silly amounts of money. Hell, people are even buying over-priced shirts with the names of these greedy little ticks advertised for free on the back plus a huge sponsor logo on the front. Paying to be a walking advert for rampant greed.

Kano
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
i thought utopia was perfection not one mans idea of it. thats pretty much what we have now. who knows what it would contain, although you seem to have already decided.

we're all walking adverts unless you walk around naked, making your own utensils and living in the woods shunning society.

i'm guessing internet connections can't be made living with badgers so you're just as bad as everyone else i'm afraid.

suicide it is

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
we're all walking adverts unless you walk around naked, making your own utensils and living in the woods shunning society.

If you'd been around a while longer you'd already know that's exactly what I do. And I just use your bandwidth when I want to chat on here.

Xhaka Can’t
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
If you'd been around a while longer you'd already know that's exactly what I do. And I just use your bandwidth when I want to chat on here.

you got a webcam?

fakeyank
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
His ego....and the fact he spoke in the 3rd person. Also the fact he liked to beat up his teammates....doesn't go down well.:lol:

Him talking in the 3rd person could be because of his below average grasp of English. In terms of performance, he had a better return than what we have had from Nasri so far. He scored 30 goals one season, 15+ the next and he scored against the spurs! Nasri on the other hand had a good 3 months and now he doesnt want to be a prince anymore.. Moth******* :angry:

V-Pig
07-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Nanas08 Samir Nasri Official
I just want tell you dont listen the newspaper and the rumours i will let you know if something happen

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Very reassuring.

V-Pig
07-06-2011, 08:21 PM
@immildlyracist listen come in front of me tell me what u tweet i will show who is th c***

V-Pig
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Lol. Getting angry at his followers.

Kano
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
there was a news piece last night headlined that he wanted better signings before put pen to paper but without any quotes at all.

we've only heard a couple lines from an interview translated from french so far. look at it this way, modric and nasri are both apparently going to leave yet apparently only to clubs in the pl so it smells of paper talk so far.

Cripps_orig
07-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Does anyone actually believe the twitter shite?

Probably some sad cunt pretending to be Nasri

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 08:25 PM
@immildlyracist listen come in front of me tell me what u tweet i will show who is th c***

Cannot believe samir nasri just sent me a tweet, and even better, I cannot believe samir nasri called me a cunt

V-Pig
07-06-2011, 08:28 PM

No, it's him. He's verified by Twitter and by the many other Arsenal players on Twitter.

Marc Overmars
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Someone responded to Nasri's threat.

Samir Nasri, toughest lesbian ever. :lol:

AKBapologist
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM

http://www.arsenal.com/news/player-tweets

Ernesto
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Personally, I wish he'd f*** right off.

Don't want his non-performances stinking up the club again.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Personally, I wish he'd f*** right off.

Don't want his non-performances stinking up the club again.

Yep give Inter Him plus £15 mill for Wesley Sneijder.

Darth Vela
08-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Hope he realises that if he's still here (which I think is still fairly likely) he'll have to put a shift in to get everyone back onside, if he does that it'll all be forgotten by the majority and ignored by most others, everyone knows deep down that football is about money as much as anything they just don't like to be reminded of it (myself included).

hymppi
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
i think he'll be here next season. cesc will fuck off on the other hand.

Newguy
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Personally, I'd rather Nasri leave and I wouldnt begrudge Cesc leaving either. The probem with Nasri is, unlike Cesc, he only has 12 months left, regardless of what anyone thinks this is Wenger's fault. His contract should have been tied up. What is puzzling me is that it seems a lot of fans believe that a new contract means a pay increase, why cant an extension, just be that - an extension of your contract for a year with an agreement to negotiate salaries in a years time?
This is a terrible position for the club to be in - Nasri has all the leverage, posters are talking about him "being professional or giving his all ect" I dont care about that as the season is over, he is down to 12 months on his contract and he is going to try and get as much as he can because of it.

He knows Cesc wants out, he feels he is the next best thing after Cesc and has Wenger over a barrel.

Again, I'd like him gone, I'd rather he stay quiet, but him mentioning Manure was enough for me, we dont need players like this at the club, especially considering how fragile the state of the dressing room is now anyway. We need players that want to wear the shirt and fight for the club. Wilshere, RvP, Chesney, Vermaelen and Theo in my opinion are those players currently at the club.

Again, the reason why i blame Wenger for letting this weasel run down hs contract is because we can no longer get top dollar for him, i dont care if he goes, he's replaceable, but lets get top money for him, we do this buy making sure he has enough years on his contract so we always have the upper hand.

budesonide
08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
We need players that want to wear the shirt and fight for the club. Wilshere, RvP, Chesney, Vermaelen and Theo in my opinion are those players currently at the club..

And those number of players will keep dwindling as long as we don't look like winning anything and keep imploding each season.

Kano
08-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Again, the reason why i blame Wenger for letting this weasel run down hs contract is because we can no longer get top dollar for him, i dont care if he goes, he's replaceable, but lets get top money for him, we do this buy making sure he has enough years on his contract so we always have the upper hand.
he signed a 4 year contract so we could've offered a new one after a year of averageness which wouldve been silly. after another year of average performances his worth wouldve been between 10 and the 13 we paid. as soon as he kicked in and upped his game the club wanted to award that. its hard to see what couldve been done differently

Özim
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
he signed a 4 year contract so we could've offered a new one after a year of averageness which wouldve been silly. after another year of average performances his worth wouldve been between 10 and the 13 we paid. as soon as he kicked in and upped his game the club wanted to award that. its hard to see what couldve been done differently
Simple after 2 years offer a new contract thus making sure his resale value stays high if he does go. We paid decent money for him and if we lost him now we wouldn't get that back. Considering how stingy we are with money that isn't a good thing, the more money we hold onto the more likely we are to spend some of it.

Kano
08-06-2011, 09:42 PM
his performance level at the time didnt warrant a higher fee than we paid for him and the price touted now is around 10 mill, pretty much what we wouldve got if he had continued in the same vein. there wasnt much to say he was going to come out the blocks as he did

budesonide
08-06-2011, 09:44 PM
his performance level at the time didnt warrant a higher fee than we paid for him and the price touted now is around 10 mill, pretty much what we wouldve got if he had continued in the same vein. there wasnt much to say he was going to come out the blocks as he did

no but it is wise to proactively protect an asset you value.

what you are saying then is that, if we had decided to sell him then, he would have gone for cheap -- I don't think so.

Kano
08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
i think he would've gone for between 10-13 based on his performances for two years, which is around the mark he'd go for now. even with a new contract two years ago as performance dictates value and his hadn't increased it. look at it this way, most fans agree he is replaceable now and thats after really beginning to show what hes about so that definitely wouldve been the case two years ago

Ernesto
08-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I think that, when alls said and done, Nasri won't be joining ManUSA. I say that boldly, and you can quote me on it if (and it won't) the day comes that Nasri signs for the Salford Scum.

Vieira flirted with the idea of joining Manchester United in the summer of 2001 when for all the world it looked like he was a goner. Ferguson was practically squirting at the chance of signing Paddy even though there had been no formal discussions. However, not only did Wenger stop Vieira going oop norf, but he also kept him at Arsenal for a few more seasons.

If Nasri is going to leave and he does want to join Manchester United, Wenger will do something similar to what he did with Anelka. Let ManUre do all the forerunning (in Anelka's case it was Lazio) and let the next highest bidder come in to snap him up for while Wenger still harbours ambitions of us competing with the Mancs, there's no way we'd sell our best assets to 'em.

Toronto Gooner
09-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Simple after 2 years offer a new contract thus making sure his resale value stays high if he does go. We paid decent money for him and if we lost him now we wouldn't get that back. Considering how stingy we are with money that isn't a good thing, the more money we hold onto the more likely we are to spend some of it.
Err, wasn't that exactly what happened? I seem to recall the reports about his contract started at the start of last season, which was the start of his 3rd season at Arsenal.

V-Pig
09-06-2011, 04:08 PM
thegoonblog The Goon Blog
Hi, my name is Samir, and I am a tubby greedy little lesbian lookalike bastard. #hairwego

Japan Shaking All Over
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
....Skysports.com understands Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri.

Speculation has intimated Nasri is on United's radar and skysports.com has now learnt he is the club's top target.

The talented French schemer's reluctance to engage in contract talks with Arsenal until he is satisfied their transfer targets are of the required standard to mount a title push next season has alerted Sir Alex Ferguson to his possible availability.

Despite being close to wrapping up a deal for Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea, amid widespread speculation Aston Villa's Ashley Young is also heading for Old Trafford, Ferguson's appetite for new signings has yet to be sated.

Nasri is seen as an ideal replacement for the retired Paul Scholes, with the centre of the field an area United's management are keen to revamp with fresh talent.

Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder has been linked but Nasri, with just a season left on his existing deal, could be a more realistic deal to finance.

Arsene Wenger would be loath to lose one of key men, especially given Nasri's exit would likely lead to other members of his squad questioning their own futures.

However, United are now ready to test Arsenal's resolve to keep a player who has previously intimated he would be open to the prospect of moving to Manchester.

whats the next move? - Utd are taking it to the others this summer

Japan Shaking All Over
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
bet your arse Nasri is smiling his own arse off now

has Cashley Cole written all over this

alexander
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Its a bit shit being an Arsenal fan at the mo isnt it. Nasri leaving would be bad, but to man u, no way, thats a killer. It might be the final nail in the coffin for this team.

Cripps_orig
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Arsene Wenger would be loath to lose one of key men, especially given Nasri's exit would likely lead to other members of his squad questioning their own futures.

Its from Sky Sports. Bollocks tbh...

Fist of Lehmann
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Err, wasn't that exactly what happened? I seem to recall the reports about his contract started at the start of last season, which was the start of his 3rd season at Arsenal.

Think our policy changed after the Flamini debacle so that contracts were renegotiated based on time left to run rather than being any performance related thing. So the accusation that Wenger 'allowed' Nasri to run down his contract (we don't know who conducts contract negotiations btw but it's likely to be Gazidis) while convienient looks groundless. Since human rights laws probably preclude us forcing Nasri to sign anything, the only other recourse is sell him.

And you wouldn't do that with 2 years left on his contract, because that's when we opened negotiations. The very earliest we could have sold him was January.
Can you imagine how batshit people would have gone had we done that?

A. Exceedingly batshit.

Toronto Gooner
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Think our policy changed after the Flamini debacle so that contracts were renegotiated based on time left to run rather than being any performance related thing. So the accusation that Wenger 'allowed' Nasri to run down his contract (we don't know who conducts contract negotiations btw but it's likely to be Gazidis) while convienient looks groundless. Since human rights laws probably preclude us forcing Nasri to sign anything, the only other recourse is sell him.

And you wouldn't do that with 2 years left on his contract, because that's when we opened negotiations. The very earliest we could have sold him was January.

A. Exceedingly batshit.
I agree with you, Fist. Starting to negotiate a new contract with Nasri prior to the start of last season would have been jumped upon the Wenger-haters as further proof that Wenger has lost it and only favours Frenchmen.

Sirjackofwilshere
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
There is no way Wenger will let Nasri go to the mancs. He'll sell him off to a team in Europe and lose a lot of money rather than strengthen a rival.

selassie
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
There is no way Wenger will let Nasri go to the mancs. He'll sell him off to a team in Europe and lose a lot of money rather than strengthen a rival.

We won't have a choice if no club makes an offer and he runs down his contract.

Marc Overmars
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
So they've wrapped up Jones, in talks with Young and now want Nasri. Their intentions for De Gea are well documented as well.

Meanwhile we signed Charlton's 3rd choice full back.

Super Ghel
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM

A. Exceedingly batshit.

:gp: Exactly, it is groundless but don’t let that stop the AW hate brigade here from trying to shift the blame on him. First of all, like you said Wenger does not conduct nor does he have the final say in such contract negotiations. I would’ve thought that Cashley’s case would’ve taught people something about the fallacy of such rationale, but no they never learn.

Secondly, I too recall reading that negotiations had started last year. So the club definitely did not leave it late to the last minute! It is most likely the board who wants to protect the wage structure in place and if a player keeps delaying signing the contract for a year what can the club do? How does anyone who’s not privy to such details know conclusively what’s going on and that it wasn’t the player who kept giving assurances that he would sign but has later gone back on his word?

Maestro
09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Our transfer activity continues at pace

So they've wrapped up Jones, in talks with Young and now want Nasri. Their intentions for De Gea are well documented as well.

Meanwhile we signed Charlton's 3rd choice full back.

GP
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

A. Exceedingly batshit.

Great post

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
:gp: Exactly, it is groundless but don’t let that stop the AW hate brigade here from trying to shift the blame on him. First of all, like you said Wenger does not conduct nor does he have the final say in such contract negotiations. I would’ve thought that Cashley’s case would’ve taught people something about the fallacy of such rationale, but no they never learn.

Secondly, I too recall reading that negotiations had started last year. So the club definitely did not leave it late to the last minute! It is most likely the board who wants to protect the wage structure in place and if a player keeps delaying signing the contract for a year what can the club do? How does anyone who’s not privy to such details know conclusively what’s going on and that it wasn’t the player who kept giving assurances that he would sign but has later gone back on his word?

You sure about that? Wenger's own words on the Rooney situation.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger surprised Manchester United did not sit down earlier to negotiate contract with Wayne Rooney
'You are always in renegotiations', says boss

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has expressed surprise concerning the way Manchester United have dealt with Wayne Rooney's contract issues.

The 24-year-old has less than two-years remaining on his current deal at the club, amid reports that he has told Old Trafford bosses that he does not wish to sign a new one.

Wenger believes that this could only result in the player's value diminishing on the market, if United should at some point consider selling their star.

"I don’t know why [it has happened]," he said, according to the Daily Mail.

"When you sign a player for four years, for example, you have to extend the contract after two years.

"You have to negotiate after the first year. We have people who only negotiate contracts at our club and I come in when it is needed. When you have a professional squad, first-team squad plus players after 16, you have to renegotiate.

"You are always in renegotiations. If you want to keep a player, to protect the value of a player, you have to extend the contract."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/19/2172214/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-surprised-manchester-united

The irony of it all. Now Man Utd have put themselves in a position to buy one of our best players because of this error.

He knows the situation and clubs shouldn't allow players to get down to two years on their contract. We've allowed Nasri to get down to 1 year! This makes him look really silly, especially if we lose him to Man U.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
whats the next move? - Utd are taking it to the others this summer

TBH Wenger should tell them £80 mill or fuck off tbh

fakeyank
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Well if Nasri wants to leave to Utd, Utd has to pay top dollar for him. If they dont show up with the big money saying that they can sign him for free next season then be it. At that moment, I think AW should just bench him the entire season and get another player instead of him. Lets see which top club will come in for him next season when he hasnt kicked a ball the entire year.
It should be made clear- Fuck with the club, we fuck your career!

Kano
09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
You sure about that? Wenger's own words on the Rooney situation.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/19/2172214/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-surprised-manchester-united

The irony of it all. Now Man Utd have put themselves in a position to buy one of our best players because of this error.

He knows the situation and clubs shouldn't allow players to get down to two years on their contract. We've allowed Nasri to get down to 1 year! This makes him look really silly, especially if we lose him to Man U.

that says nothing about him having a final say and also reinforces that arsenal had an offer on the table for nasri since 2010

alexander
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Well if Nasri wants to leave to Utd, Utd has to pay top dollar for him. If they dont show up with the big money saying that they can sign him for free next season then be it. At that moment, I think AW should just bench him the entire season and get another player instead of him. Lets see which top club will come in for him next season when he hasnt kicked a ball the entire year.

this!

Xhaka Can’t
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM

That, or get Diaby to break his fucking leg.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Totally agree. Im sure City will be Linked with Samir Tommrow, If this makes AW sign big name players then so be it if not then fuck it tbh.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 06:55 PM
that says nothing about him having a final say and also reinforces that arsenal had an offer on the table for nasri since 2010

He says he comes in if needed. So what does that tell you? Do you think he's letting others handle this situation as his best player is considering a move to Man Utd? Don't be naive. He's involved in the talks and he firmly said he won't allow Nasri to move to Man Utd.

And so what if talks started in 2010. He has said a player shouldn't be allowed to get down to 2 years on their contract and that's the same point I made earlier in the thread. He's even says that you should renegotiate in the first year if a player is on a 4 year deal and Toronto Gooner said that was a bad business move earlier in the thread. Nasri has stalled on his contract, but the point is, why has he been allowed to get down to 1 year when we've been negotiating for such a long time? He even said Man U should have considered selling Rooney earlier and he had two years left on his deal. Again, Nasri has one year left and now we're considering a sale after his market valuation has dropped. Wenger knows the score but has failed to act. While this Rooney stuff was going on, we were in talks with Nasri and still hadn't wrapped up a deal but he's talking about another clubs business conducts as if they've done something wrong and he hasn't even got his own house in order. Don't you think that is silly?

I'm not saying Nasri is an angel. He's stalled and taken the piss, but Wenger and the club have failed to act even though they know what's right and makes sense business wise.

Kano
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
He says he comes in if needed. So what does that tell you? Do you think he's letting others handle this situation as his best player is considering a move to Man Utd? Don't be naive. He's involved in the talks and he firmly said he won't allow Nasri to move to Man Utd.

And so what if talks started in 2010. He has said a player shouldn't be allowed to get down to 2 years on their contract and that's the same point I made earlier in the thread. He's even says that you should renegotiate in the first year if a player is on a 4 year deal and Toronto Gooner said that was a bad business move earlier in the thread. Nasri has stalled on his contract, but the point is, why has he been allowed to get down to 1 year when we've been negotiating for such a long time? He even said Man U should have considered selling Rooney earlier and he had two years left on his deal. Again, Nasri has one year left and now we're considering a sale after his market valuation has dropped. Wenger knows the score but has failed to act. While this Rooney stuff was going on, we were in talks with Nasri and still hadn't wrapped up a deal but he's talking about another clubs business conducts as if they've done something wrong and he hasn't even got his own house in order. Don't you think that is silly?

I'm not saying Nasri is an angel. He's stalled and taken the piss, but Wenger and the club have failed to act even though they know what's right and makes sense business wise.

when needed, ie in a situation like now when there are difficulties. what was the CEO's remit when he joined? to take the responsibility away from the manager. do you believe the man heading up the business unit of the club would not have the final say? I think you are being naive really.

he said 'you have to extend the contract after two years' which they tried to do.

amazingly you are putting this at the door of the manager when there are others who do the job and make the final call. i guess it's easier to do that

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
when needed, ie in a situation like now when there are difficulties. what was the CEO's remit when he joined? to take the responsibility away from the manager. do you believe the man heading up the business unit of the club would not have the final say? I think you are being naive really.

he said 'you have to extend the contract after two years' which they tried to do.

amazingly you are putting this at the door of the manager when there are others who do the job and make the final call. i guess it's easier to do that

So you think Wenger got a call to step in few weeks ago and Gazidis let months go before informing Wenger of the situation?

Wenger is talking about contracts being renewed in the first year when a player is on a four year deal and if it goes beyond two years the club may have to consider selling the player.

So, after the talks stall and we've gone beyond the 24 month period, what next? If Fergie can get up and talk some sense into his player and the Board, why can't Wenger.

Two of his first team players have one year left on their contracts and it will effect him and the team morale. Wenger knew about the situation and he chose to drop both Clichy and Nasri for a few games like he did with Cole, Edu, Wiltord and Lauren when their contract talks weren't going so well. That's what he chose to do.

Kano
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
i reckon he got involved once it became clear nasri and more importantly his agent were stalling late last year. perhaps they were making the right noises but the money issue was the sticking point which meant it dragged on. so we shouldve sold him then you think, right in the middle of his best patch? im sure the fans wouldve seen the business sense there...

wenger is talking about negotiating and negotiating all the time, which in his politician talk is double speak, it doesnt mean much and is vague. realistically you cannot do that.

the club have a wage structure well known to us all that wenger supports. do we know what nasri wants? not really, so 'speaking sense to the board' means nothing.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes, Wenger talks rubbish and can't be trusted. All his talk is hot air. And you wonder why fans clamp down on him. Don't give the impression that you're in control of things if you're not.

Nasri may be asking for over £100k, we're getting rid of Bendtner and Denilson this season so we can afford it. If we can't, sign him up, keep his valuation high and then sell him when we're back in control. It's that simple.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
For the record, I think Wenger has been kept up to date with the contract talks from day one, in any organisation you have weekly and monthly meetings with your peers and superiors. This wasn't a last minute dot com job.

But, Wenger as usual took a gamble and hoped our success in the league and silverware would resolve the issue and players would sign their contracts. That didn't happen and now here we are.

Kano
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
once they break the wage structure then it's open day for everyone else so that won't happen. they have a policy and rightly or wrongly they will be sticking to it.

i'm sure wenger knew from the first day but wasnt involved. there is a big difference. you are still talking as if wenger pushes the button on financial decisions, when clearly the CEO of a company makes the call

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
And what wage structure is Cesc on?

Super Ghel
09-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Yup, spot on. Also, just because certain negotiations are not made public, does it mean it doesn’t exist? What’s ironic is how people can equate a remark of “Wenger coming in when needed” as the equivalent of him having the final say of contract negotiations, which in Nasri’s case, is clearly a wages issue!

If anything, the article goes to illustrate the opposite, in fact it’s other people in the club who’re responsible for such things. To me, “Wenger coming in when needed” is more likely a scenario whereby negotiations have presumably stalled and he tries his best to cajole Nasri into understanding the club’s position and perhaps even ask the board to up the wages offer a little. But that doesn’t mean the board or whoever has the final veto will agree!! Cashley anyone? Yes, when Rooney accuses the club of ‘lacking ambition’ and ultimately got what the wages he wanted, does that mean Wenger can persuade the club to do the same? We already see in Cashley’s case the board can play extreme hardball with £5k per week, what makes us think it’s any different now?

Super Ghel
09-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Somewhere in the region of £110- 120K? Do you know Glen Johnson earns more than him? :lol: Dunno if I can find the info but I'll go and search for it later tonight.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Cole eventually got the wages he wanted but after agreeing to let him go if he still wasn't happy after signing a new deal.

selassie
Yup, spot on. Also, just because certain negotiations are not made public, does it mean it doesn’t exist? What’s ironic is how people can equate a remark of “Wenger coming in when needed” as the equivalent of him having the final say of contract negotiations, which in Nasri’s case, is clearly a wages issue!

If anything, the article goes to illustrate the opposite, in fact it’s other people in the club who’re responsible for such things. To me, “Wenger coming in when needed” is more likely a scenario whereby negotiations have presumably stalled and he tries his best to cajole Nasri into understanding the club’s position and perhaps even ask the board to up the wages offer a little. But that doesn’t mean the board or whoever has the final veto will agree!! Cashley anyone? Yes, when Rooney accuses the club of ‘lacking ambition’ and ultimately got what the wages he wanted, does that mean Wenger can persuade the club to do the same? We already see in Cashley’s case the board can play extreme hardball with £5k per week, what makes us think it’s any different now?

I think some of us are looking at the Nasri situation with red tinted glasses on. Nasri may actually have sporting ambitions to go and play somewhere to win things, sorry but that's the sad reality and the state of our current affairs, we're not winners, we don't win anything.

Of course money plays a part, but IMHO Nasri has a higher chance of winning things at 2...maybe 3 clubs in PL and a number of clubs on the continent.

I do think there is some truth in his demands about wanting to see if Arsene sufficiently strengthens the squad. Of course I don't like the way he (Nasri) is acting...but that's the harsh reality of the situation we're in.

Shaqiri Is Boss
Somewhere in the region of £110- 120K? Do you know Glen Johnson earns more than him? :lol: Dunno if I can find the info but I'll go and search for it later tonight.

Something like £139k a week for Johnson.

Which is ridiculous.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM

You've missed the point, Cesc is the highest paid player at the club and nobody else earns the same as him. I'm sick and tired of hearing this silly talk as if Wenger has no power. He's able to stop Cesc from going to Barca but can't do anything about Nasri's contract talks. Bullshit.

Kano
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM

probably similar to th14 but i dont think we know the full details of the structure only that there is one that they follow

no one said he has no power, that is just twisting words.

do you believe he has the final say over the CEO and board? he can try and persuade as SG says and to suggest otherwise is bullshit. the wage structure has existed and continues to and wenger believes in it so why would he try to overrule that? it makes no sense

of course he can stop cesc leaving, the guy is tied up for a few more years so he doesn't hold the cards. nasri however does and has much less of a connection to the club and manager. two completely different situations.

Newguy
09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I hope we sell him for as much we can get, or we cave in to his demands, extend his contract and then sell him for as much as we can get!!

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
probably similar to th14 but i dont think we know the full details of the structure only that there is one that they follow

Rubbish, we invented a new structure on the spot Henry.

I'm really looking forwards to RVP's contract talks. That should be interesting. He kicked up a fuss last season about 'sporting ambition'.

This model is unsustainable. Not saying Nasri deserves more but give it to him and put strict conditions on those wages or make it so that he earns more based on his performance. If he can't live up to the wages then get him off the books. Like we did with Adebayor.

Kano
09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
exactly, so there is a structure. broken only for a unique once in a lifetime player that had been the mainstay for years. nasri hardly falls into that, so he probably falls into the regular structure. or are you saying you know the full details?

maybe it is unsustainable but im not arguing if it's right or wrong just trying to suggest that one exists, which it clearly does and it may be part of the reason things have taken this route with nasri.

this isn't championship manager, there are far more dynamics than that. you think his agent would agree to those terms? we got rid of ade not because of his lack of achievement but as he was trouble in the team and wanting to leave

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
And Cesc Fabregas? Wage structure?

Rubbish.

Just give the prick his money and sell him once his market value is back up. It's common sense. Sick and tired of people defending nonsense then wondering why the clubs rotting from the inside. Especially when Wenger has said in black and white what the right course of action is in this sort of situation but still ignores his own advice.

Mr.Singh
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I can't believe this shit mann

Kano
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
as the captain, player been there for 7 years and talisman of the team then he takes the top tier I would imagine - it really isnt hard to figure out. the one consistent noise for years has been about a structure of wages, no contradictions so you are just inventing for your argument. so raise his wages, break their structure and have the rest of the team wondering why they didnt do the same to get even more. great for morale.

the club is rotting from the inside now? man that is real hyperbole.

wenger said to give a contract after two years which the club attempted to do. you keep going back to it being his job when clearly it isnt - he can only try and influence which is quite different to making the decision.

Joker
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
We clearly cannot rely on fairweather players like Nasri to win us trophies. Hope we sell the twat and reinvest the money in a quality, commited player who'll run through brick walls for us (I know they are hard to find, but it's not impossible)

I still think Wenger does also have to take a lot of responsibility for the situation we're in.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
as the captain, player been there for 7 years and talisman of the team then he takes the top tier I would imagine - it really isnt hard to figure out. the one consistent noise for years has been about a structure of wages, no contradictions so you are just inventing for your argument. so raise his wages, break their structure and have the rest of the team wondering why they didnt do the same to get even more. great for morale.

the club is rotting from the inside now? man that is real hyperbole.

wenger said to give a contract after two years which the club attempted to do. you keep going back to it being his job when clearly it isnt - he can only try and influence which is quite different to making the decision.

So you're okay with the way the club is run like corporation and the total lack of respect for the fans? Cool! What do you think is going to happen when we sell Nasri and Clichy for peanuts. Great for team morale. We'll discuss this again in years time when RVP wants to go.

Kano
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
every big club is run like a corporation, its a business, it happens. its a money making machine. total lack of respect for the fans? thats your interpretation and others but i disagree,there is no final answer to that just how much you let it affect you. see you next year

Darth Vela
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Y'know what? I disagreed with you when I started reading the post but if Wenger is aware of it, as he certainly is given the amount of players we've tied down to contracts, then not re-negotiating earlier may well cost us even if it's only a matter of 6 months and that's pretty stupid as it's something we've been careful with when it comes to everyone else.

Syn
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
It's hard to find those committed players these days. The only other way you're going to keep a team coming from different backgrounds together is through winning and rewards like Man Utd have done.

In many ways Wenger had the right idea - to get a bunch of players together in their teens, throw them into the deep end and make them struggle - you'd expect the unity in the team to be stronger over time. All the ingredients were right, the chef wasn't - the players needed a man who could command respect, not somebody they could walk all over that allows them to make the same mistakes again and hands them unearned new contracts.

I think football has changed as well though - the world is smaller and no team tends to have the 'unity' and 'togetherness' that Wenger values so highly. The best way to achieve that is through focusing on a group of players from the same region or country. It's just not possible now.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 09:50 PM
every big club is run like a corporation, its a business, it happens. its a money making machine. total lack of respect for the fans? thats your interpretation and others but i disagree,there is no final answer to that just how much you let it affect you. see you next year

You say 'money making machine' yet can't see the sense in us giving Nasri a new contract so we can up his valuation and sell him for a bigger profit.

Kano
09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
have you been reading my posts at all? unfortunately i dont control the arsenal budget but i can try to offer some reasoning behind what they are doing.

topgun
09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
We clearly cannot rely on fairweather players like Nasri to win us trophies. Hope we sell the twat and reinvest the money in a quality, commited player who'll run through brick walls for us (I know they are hard to find, but it's not impossible)

I still think Wenger does also have to take a lot of responsibility for the situation we're in.

The decisions Wenger takes this summer will determine the direction this club is heading in,remember what Cesc said a while back about the club needing to decide whether it wants to win things or develope players,well its make your mind up time.At the moment I have to say it looks the latter and if players are starting to think that it will leave us in the position of having to continually sign players with potential rather than what we really need and that will only compound the problem.

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 10:18 PM
have you been reading my posts at all? unfortunately i dont control the arsenal budget but i can try to offer some reasoning behind what they are doing.

What started out as a defence of Wenger and an attempt to absolve him of blame has turned into a defence of the clubs policy and the way it's run. That's not reasoning, just a blind defence that has lead you down a slippery path. You don't think PHW was out of order with his comments or the way fans are being milked for cash when it doesn't go back into the team? Cool!

Kano
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
following the line of your responses. if you read my posts ive tried to find reasoning behind what they are doing instead of turning no knowledge into fact. you have continued to jump from one conclusion to the next from my posts which is very poor debating. lets stop here as my thoughts are plain to see, make of them what you will, i have no need to prove anything on here

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I didn't ask for you to defend the club and offer a reasoning. And yes, I'm purposely jumping from one conclusion from the next because you're not saying what's right or wrong or you're feelings on the issue. That's not my fault. Make it clear.

selassie
10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
The decisions Wenger takes this summer will determine the direction this club is heading in,remember what Cesc said a while back about the club needing to decide whether it wants to win things or develope players,well its make your mind up time.At the moment I have to say it looks the latter and if players are starting to think that it will leave us in the position of having to continually sign players with potential rather than what we really need and that will only compound the problem.

I'll tell you one thing, after the season we've had I don't think Arsene will get away with selling Clichy & Nasri on the cheap and losing Fabregas.

There will be an absolute outcry. Arsene is in a very precarious position right now, if we lose our better players he's going to need to replace them with REAL quality to even keep the fans moderately happy. The knives are already out in force due to our poor end to the season and season ticket price hike, no amount spin from Arsene or the Board will convince fans of anything. You cannot repeatedly replace your best players with youth prospects and you certainly can't keep rebuilding the team every 2 or 3 seasons.

This summer is now Arsene's most important of his reign, there is no doubt about that.

Boss
10-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Apparently we're in talks with Hazard so it looks fairly likely that Nasri will leave this summer. That said, think Wenger knows that selling him to United will destroy any faith supporters have in him... if we can't get him to sign a long term deal, we should sell him to a foreign club or bench him till his contract expires.

Japan Shaking All Over
10-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I'll tell you one thing, after the season we've had I don't think Arsene will get away with selling Clichy & Nasri on the cheap and losing Fabregas.

There will be an absolute outcry. Arsene is in a very precarious position right now, if we lose our better players he's going to need to replace them with REAL quality to even keep the fans moderately happy. The knives are already out in force due to our poor end to the season and season ticket price hike, no amount spin from Arsene or the Board will convince fans of anything. You cannot repeatedly replace your best players with youth prospects and you certainly can't keep rebuilding the team every 2 or 3 seasons.

This summer is now Arsene's most important of his reign, there is no doubt about that.

I think you call it one step forward two steps back what AW is doing

selassie
10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Apparently we're in talks with Hazard so it looks fairly likely that Nasri will leave this summer. That said, think Wenger knows that selling him to United will destroy any faith supporters have in him... if we can't get him to sign a long term deal, we should sell him to a foreign club or bench him till his contract expires.

Hazard is a fantastic young talent but that will not stop the fact that selling Nasri to United will improve them and significantly weaken us.

I agree with your suggestions though. :good:

Kano
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
i dont think he'll let nasri go now i think he'd rather lose him for nothing than let him walk.

utd will buy somone else for that position and he'll go abroad

ElusiveGooner
10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm totally sick of all of it TBH. This summer is just the same as every other, we won't make any notable signings, Arsene will spend all summer trying to keep disgruntled players at the club, we'll promote from within for the sake of promoting and it will be same old same old next season.

I'm just tired of it all. The problem stems from the Manager, he has created this "Creche Culture" where the players are pampered without having actually done anything.

I would love to be in a job where I could under-perform on a regular basis and get rewarded for it.

In regards to Nasri, who the fuck does he think he is? He's won Fuck all and has only contributed half a season of top class Football in 3 seasons with us yet he wants to get paid star wages? He's deluded and epitomes everything that is wrong with this rotten team. The fault lies with the Manager.

The fact that he (Nasri) is openly talking about looking at an offer from one of our rivals is totally disgusting.

I agree with everything you said.At the end of the day, Nasri isn't behaving any differently to any other Leading Football player these days. Earlier this very season Rooney threatened to join Man City in order to get a pay rise. Thats the attitude of the typical premier league player.

What we need is a high quality Manager to manage these situations and manage the team accordingly.

It starts from the top. A great manager doesn't let key players run down their contracts. So either Nasri isn't a key player (in which case sell the little focker); or Wenger, lucky as he has been in the early years, simply isn't a good manager.

This is especially annoying because this is not the first time that our club has been in this position, with this manager. But Wenger just doesn't learn.

Fool me once, Shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me.

AKBapologist
10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
A "great manager" caves in by doubling a players wages.

AW need only add a 20k a year to nasri's proposed contract extension and this whole thing would be over.

KSE Comedy Club
10-06-2011, 12:07 PM

AW need only add a 20k a year to nasri's proposed contract extension and this whole thing would be over.

You mean 20k a week.

Marc Overmars
10-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I don't think it's necessarily caving in as such. It's important to weigh up the value of the player to the team and who might potentially take him from you as well. United broke the bank to keep Rooney who in turn proved his worth at the business end of the season, it was a gamble but one well worth taking because of his quality and status within the team.

If there is any truth in this alleged 20k extra that Nasri wants then relatively speaking it's hardly worth taking the high ground over. Our model is too rigid for a sport full of mercenaries.

GP
10-06-2011, 12:22 PM

20K a week is a million pounds a year. Not a small amount of money.

ElusiveGooner
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Either Wenger values Nasri and pays up, or he doesn't and gets rid. Either way he should grow some balls and make a god damn decision!

The actual final decision isn't such a problem (I couldn't care less - Nasri has already shown that he is nothing but a mercenary). The indecision that Wenger is showing is much more telling.

selassie
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't think it's necessarily caving in as such. It's important to weigh up the value of the player to the team and who might potentially take him from you as well. United broke the bank to keep Rooney who in turn proved his worth at the business end of the season, it was a gamble but one well worth taking because of his quality and status within the team.

If there is any truth in this alleged 20k extra that Nasri wants then relatively speaking it's hardly worth taking the high ground over.

:good: Yup, it's about weighing up your investment, if we don't pay him what he wants now our only other options would be selling him for a few million quid less than what we paid for him (due to him having 1 year left on his contract) or the unthinkable would be losing him for nothing next summer.

AKBapologist
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
You mean 20k a week.

Sure

Power n Glory
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Either Wenger values Nasri and pays up, or he doesn't and gets rid. Either way he should grow some balls and make a god damn decision!

The actual final decision isn't such a problem (I couldn't care less - Nasri has already shown that he is nothing but a mercenary). The indecision that Wenger is showing is much more telling.

I don't like Nasri. Seems like a scumbag.

But in his defence, he probably left his boyhood club to win trophies. Just reading his first interview.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/samir-nasri-gunners-midfielder-is-streets-ahead-1625716.html

He wanted to join Arsenal because we play great football and all the French players want to join Arsenal. He believed that if this team stuck together for 3 - 4 years we could achieve things. What's changed all that?

Maybe it's the money or maybe he realises everything isn't rosy over here. Maybe with so many players wanting to leave he thinks he should jump ship. Clichy won;t sign, Cesc is looking to Barca, will RVP sign an extension after he stalled on talks a while back, will Arshavin sign an extension....?

Marc Overmars
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
20K a week is a million pounds a year. Not a small amount of money.

We earn 800k for winning a single CL group game. :lol:

milla
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Expect the nego will drag until the last few days of transfer window. Nasri's agent is a well known ****, he will milk the club and milk it again, again, again.. :coffee:

Toronto Gooner
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
We earn 800k for winning a single CL group game. :lol:
Very true, but that has to help cover the cost of everything involved with that game.

However, the question that Arsenal (Wenger et al.) have to answer is whether the extra million pounds a year for Nasri will "guarantee" participation in the CL group stages such that the 800,000 winning bonus can be gained? Plus, what impact will that increase for Nasri have on the whole pay structure?

AKBapologist
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Isn't Nasri banned in Europe for a match or two?

Ollie the Optimist
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
we shouldnt pay him what he wants because he is holding the club to ransom and the club needs to show him who is boss. i think nasri will have a very interesting reaction from the fans this year. the high wages paid to cesc and henry are not comparable here, one is our leading goalscorer and the other is our captain who has been 8 years or so and been a regular starter since 2005. nasri has done fuck all, cesc has at least won something here.

Cripps_orig
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Maybe he got fed up with that shite ass song about him.

Killed a classic song that did

Ernesto
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Expect the nego will drag until the last few days of transfer window. Nasri's agent is a well known ****, he will milk the club and milk it again, again, again.. :coffee:

Racist :thumbsdown::sulk:

Mr. Lahey
10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I think some of us are looking at the Nasri situation with red tinted glasses on. Nasri may actually have sporting ambitions to go and play somewhere to win things, sorry but that's the sad reality and the state of our current affairs, we're not winners, we don't win anything.

Of course money plays a part, but IMHO Nasri has a higher chance of winning things at 2...maybe 3 clubs in PL and a number of clubs on the continent.

I do think there is some truth in his demands about wanting to see if Arsene sufficiently strengthens the squad. Of course I don't like the way he (Nasri) is acting...but that's the harsh reality of the situation we're in.

Noooo wayy...lets just jump to the conclusion that hes a money grabbing weasel who is trying to bend the club over the barrel. Funny enough the thread was started by the same guy who was saying Nasri was a waste a year ago.

If anyone has followed Nasri even through his younger days they will see that he has always been humble and respectful. Sure he is confident in himself, you have to be at this level.This BS about him going where the money is, is just that. Will he use Uniteds interest as a bargaining chip? Will he compare his wages to other top players in and around the league? Of course he fucking will, this is what happens to all players who have their contracts expiring.

Lets just wait and see what happens. Im leaning more to the side stated in Selasse's post. A few of our former greats also made comments about wanting Arsene Tightass to spend (TH14, Freddie etc...) its not so far fetched as some want to think.

milla
10-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Noooo wayy...lets just jump to the conclusion that hes a money grabbing weasel who is trying to bend the club over the barrel. Funny enough the thread was started by the same guy who was saying Nasri was a waste a year ago.

If anyone has followed Nasri even through his younger days they will see that he has always been humble and respectful. Sure he is confident in himself, you have to be at this level.This BS about him going where the money is, is just that. Will he use Uniteds interest as a bargaining chip? Will he compare his wages to other top players in and around the league? Of course he fucking will, this is what happens to all players who have their contracts expiring.

Lets just wait and see what happens. Im leaning more to the side stated in Selasse's post. A few of our former greats also made comments about wanting Arsene Tightass to spend (TH14, Freddie etc...) its not so far fetched as some want to think.

Mr feking Lahey. :gp:

Newguy
10-06-2011, 06:40 PM

As you mentioned me I thought it only right that I respond accordingly.

Firstly i don't care if he is sold, personally I would rather him gone as I see him to be a fair weather player we could do without. When the going gets tough, Nasri gets going - 2 seasons on the bounce, hence why I posted the Nasri thread a year ago about him being overrated, if you check the date it was posted and then reference that date with this season you will notice he went missing around about the same time - when we needed him.

Secondly, you mention how anyone that has watched him since he was young should know how humble and respectful he is??? Do me a favour mate..come on.. really??

Thirdly, how you can say that it's BS that he's not about the money in one sentence, then in the sentence after the next talk about how all footballers in the last year of their contract are going to want to see what the other players in the league are earning just makes me chuckle. (read that back to yourself and you'll see where i'm coming from). Wenger flat out said he is stalling because of money. The lack of class he is showing by mentioning Manure, whether it's to be used a bargaining chip or not, I couldnt give a toss, the guy doesnt deserve to be a top earner at the club, beacause he's not proven that he can do it over a full season or when it's crunch time (like RvP showed for the last 10 games of the season).

Finally, i blame wenger also, it's his doing that this powder puff has my club in this position with this fairy openly flirting with one of our biggest rivals, it's bad enough we've got that other cunt Diaby talking about the Spuds shirt he proudly wears, and then you talk about if you know anything about Nasri it's the respect he shows - lol

I expect better from you Mr Lahey

Mr. Lahey
10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree openly talking about the United interest is stupid on his part. However Ill still hold on to the idea that he's not only after the money. Will he get the most while he can, of course! Every football player does and will, this isnt headline news that some are making it out to be. When players in any sport are renegotiating their contracts they present to the club what they could get from elsewhere and also highlight the wages other players in the same talent bracket make. This is fact. Im arguing that alot of people are dismissing other points that can be included in this equation, highlighting the fact that Nasri wants to win and wants Wenger to improve the team first before he resigns. A few of our star players have taken this stance in the past like i mention. He is not a "weasel" nor is he " bending the club over the barrel" like some suggest. Money, trophies, future direction of the club are all things considered in his decision. To take Wenger's word that it is about money is laughable. I wont take anything that old geezer says seriously these days.

Like i said, we should wait and see what happens before we go making silly assumptions about a player who can very well be in an Arsenal shirt next season.

Newguy
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I agree openly talking about the United interest is stupid on his part. However Ill still hold on to the idea that he's not only after the money. Will he get the most while he can, of course! Every football player does and will, this isnt headline news that some are making it out to be. When players in any sport are renegotiating their contracts they present to the club what they could get from elsewhere and also highlight the wages other players in the same talent bracket make. This is fact. Im arguing that alot of people are dismissing other points that can be included in this equation, highlighting the fact that Nasri wants to win and wants Wenger to improve the team first before he resigns. A few of our star players have taken this stance in the past like i mention. He is not a "weasel" nor is he " bending the club over the barrel" like some suggest. Money, trophies, future direction of the club are all things considered in his decision. To take Wenger's word that it is about money is laughable. I wont take anything that old geezer says seriously these days.

Like i said, we should wait and see what happens before we go making silly assumptions about a player who can very well be in an Arsenal shirt next season.

Fair enough, I can accept that, but I do think it about the money on this occasion. Would he accept the original wage offer if we were to bring in Benzema, Hazard, Cahil and Samba and show some real intent? I dont think he would, he is holding out for more money period, his people can spin it all they want, Wenger has said that the only problem with his deal is financial.

Mr. Lahey
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Fair enough Newguy, lets wait to see what happens. Ill fully admit if im wrong and if I am , my personal opinion of Samir will most certainly change.

Newguy
10-06-2011, 09:26 PM
This is no fun, you have to argue back you're gonna kill the thread lol

fakeyank
10-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Were you against Adebayor when he was in a similar situation? Or were you for him to be given another chance?

I am just asking and not being sarcastic.. I just remember 99% of GW being against him except Ach and a couple others.. I just want to see if Nasri is going to be held in the same standards or will it be different

Newguy
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Were you against Adebayor when he was in a similar situation? Or were you for him to be given another chance?

I am just asking and not being sarcastic.. I just remember 99% of GW being against him except Ach and a couple others.. I just want to see if Nasri is going to be held in the same standards or will it be different

I couldnt wait to get him out the club tbh, I feel the same about Nasri now. It seems to happen with us more than any other top 4 club, but players have 1 good season (nasri had 3 good months) and they want the money that the big boys are on. With Ade he wanted Henry money, Nasri allegedly wants Cesc money.

I hope Nasri is shown the same treatment as any other player that shows a lack of respect towards the club and the supporters - actually i hope he doesnt get that treatment because I hope we sell him, I dont even care if he goes to united as long as we get 16million for him as a bare minimum.