PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Final. Barcelona vs Manchester United. 28th May. 7:45 pm.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I remember there were quite a few :haha:'s to be had in 2009 but I guess that was before Barcelona became very, very heavily disliked.

The Wengerbabies
22-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I still want Barca to win tbh.

Titi14
22-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Same here, just have a feeling that united will sneak it

Marc Overmars
22-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Not too bothered who wins because I'll just laugh at the losers.

2-1 Barcelona IMHO.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2011, 11:44 PM
There have been rumours Messi and Guardiola have had a falling out. :lol:

cheesy bites
23-05-2011, 09:46 AM
This is the first game I'll ever watch where I honestly can't decide who I'd rather see lose. Either Barca lose, showing that cheating and diving doesn't give you glory but that comes with the United fans/media going on and on. If United lose, it's our big rivals defeated in their own country, but then we have to put up with the Barca wankfest.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Barca wankfest will be easy to avoid in this country, a United one will not.

dazthegooner
23-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Barca wankfest will be easy to avoid in this country, a United one will not.

Couldn't agree more!

adzzzbatch
23-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Lesser of two evils, Come on Barca!!! Spank those wanky mancs!!! 3-0 would be nice.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 12:12 PM
It is impossible to avoid a Barca wankfest in this country. I don't 'want' either of those teams to win, but if I was being waterboarded into giving an answer, I'd probably go with United.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 02:24 PM
It is impossible to avoid a Barca wankfest in this country. I don't 'want' either of those teams to win, but if I was being waterboarded into giving an answer, I'd probably go with United.

Impossible, maybe. But certainly easier plus it will be a more short lived wankfest.

Rors
23-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Going to be watching this from a pub in Matlock Bath. Being a place on the map, it will bound to be crawling with United fairweather glory-hunting Cazzies..

McNamara That Ghost...
23-05-2011, 07:07 PM
And Barcelona ones too no doubt and by that I mean Liverpool supporters. :ninja:

Rors
23-05-2011, 07:47 PM
And Barcelona ones too no doubt and by that I mean Liverpool supporters. :ninja:

Plenty of 05/06 shirts in mothballs around Seven Sisters Road...

McNamara That Ghost...
23-05-2011, 07:51 PM
They probably got usage last season. This season too although maybe not seeing as they were actually in the competition.

Maestro
23-05-2011, 09:50 PM
:good:
but if I was being waterboarded into giving an answer, I'd probably go with United.

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 03:50 PM
There is a thin line between love and hate.

I hate what football has become. I loathe its ugliness, arrogance and avarice.

There is a special place in the seventh circle of Hell for its charlatans and its petty criminals.

And yet . .
Click here to find out more!

I love what football can be. I recognise its beauty, its *purity as the people’s game.

There is a special place in everyday life for its heroes, and even its heretics.

Saturday’s Champions League Final straddles that thin dividing line.

It is sullied by the naked greed of UEFA.

They ignore online touts charging £12,000 plus a £2160 booking fee for two together in Wembley’s top tier.

Manchester United, *redefined as an investment vehicle for the Glazers, are slaves to the Yankee dollar.

Barcelona sold their soul, *compromised basic beliefs, by accepting *billions of *Qatari Riyal.

They are rival corporations seeking new markets.

Barcelona are making a *strategic push into China and the United States. They have satellite centres in Egypt, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, and Peru

United will break the £100m barrier in annual commercial income, despite Asia’s *counterfeit economy.

More than 2.5million MUFC credit cards featuring Park *Ji-Sung are used in Korea alone. But each club has the power of dreams.

Maybe, just maybe, their meeting will represent everything that is good about the game.

Each has its living legends, men who embody the *traditions of what, in more *innocent times, was known as the European Cup.

Sir Bobby Charlton has the unforced dignity of an old *soldier.

His sacrifice is unspoken, uniquely powerful. His tears at Wembley in 1968 are *United’s holy water. Johann Cruyff won the European Cup three times for Ajax as a *player.

He managed Barcelona’s Dream Team at Wembley in 1992.

His legacy is a total *footballer’s sense of style, *captured by his two word team talk on that fabled night: “Enjoy it”.

This final will be shaped by tribal elders, leaders who build for the future with one eye on the past.

Sir Alex Ferguson has learned the lessons of defeat in Rome two years ago. Europe is a definitive challenge, and some suspect he will only *retire happily after equalling, or exceeding, the three *European Cups won by Bob Paisley.

Pep Guardiola is a different character, but no less *intelligent, or driven.

He is a symbol of continuity and commitment to *Barcelona’s ideals, but he is an Anglophile who may yet *occupy the manger’s office at Old Trafford.

Both finalists are more than a club, mes que un club, to *borrow the Catalan statement of intent. Their players are taught to understand who they are playing for, and why it matters.

Carles Puyol, a captain with a social conscience, *responds with the intensity of a freedom fighter.

Eric Abidal’s remarkable recovery from cancer *surgery has made him a folk hero.

Ryan Giggs is similarly cherished, because his *career mirrors United’s *recent development.

Youthful promise *carefully nurtured. Substantial achievement sustained *cleverly.

There is unforced respect between the teams, which should protect us from the shameful excesses of Barca’s semi final win over Real *Madrid.

Xavi, the footballers’ *footballer, hails Paul Scholes as a role model.

Lionel Messi sees a little of himself in Wayne Rooney.

I have only the vaguest memories of Wembley in 1968, watched, as a family on a boxy black and white TV.

Charlton seemed so old.

Sir Matt Busby reminded me of my Grandad.

A moment, frozen in time, acquired more meaning when I learned about *Munich and the ghosts who will be a spectral presence on Saturday.

Since love is blind, I can’t wait.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/michael-calvin/Michael-Calvin-on-Manchester-United-Barcelona-Why-I-hope-Champions-League-final-will-reclaim-the-beautiful-game-from-the-ugly-money-men-article738850.html#ixzz1NHlFYwKM

I agree with a lot of this.

Shaqiri Is Boss
24-05-2011, 05:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13521267.stm

:lol:

dazthegooner
24-05-2011, 05:30 PM
tbh I don't really care who wins as long as the good name of football is continued :unsure:

Cripps_orig
24-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Hoping for a Man Utd win here

Marc Overmars
24-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Hoping for a Man Utd win here

Now there's a shock. :lol:

Cripps_orig
24-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Thats if i had to choose a winner.

Ideally il watch the match and laugh at the losers.

Win/win tbh

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Its a Hungarian ref :popcorn:

fakeyank
26-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I hope Utd win... I hate the barca cunts

Letters
26-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Mmm. If you lived in England and had to put up with Manc twats puffing their stupid chests out then you may feel differently.

Come on Barca :scarf:

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Didn't realize you struck out there.

Cripps_orig
26-05-2011, 08:43 PM
This

fakeyank
27-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Mmm. If you lived in England and had to put up with Manc twats puffing their stupid chests out then you may feel differently.

Come on Barca :scarf:

Probably wouldve felt like you if I lived in England but here in the US, there are tons of Hispanic cocks who will go Visca Barca at the drop of a hat. They are annoying cunts who probably dont even know why they are supporting Barca.. they just know that a couple of their football knowing friends support Barca and they want to support the best team in the world!
As for Utd fans, I dislike them but at least their club doesnt mess with our players minds every summer. Have their ugly players say how they want to shag our captain and make gentle yet passionate love to him! Well, fuck them!

fakeyank
27-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Didn't realize you struck out there.

Those cocks at Ramblas! I still havent forgotten my stolen wallet! :fury:

I got a pity fuck from one of the Swiss chicks I was with though.. so :whistle:

Kaiser
27-05-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/27/champions-league-final-itv-skysports

Champions League final: Do you watch it on ITV or Sky Sports?

It's not just Manchester United v Barcelona - it's also the smooth and capable Adrian Chiles against the Brylcreemed 1950s bus conductor Jeff Stelling

Build-up

ITV
A pared back 45 minutes. Likely to feature Adrian Chiles (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/adrian-chiles) doing "funnies" over stadium footage of old/fat/yawning/vulnerable people. Also strolling-ex-pro-with-a-radio-mic interludes where men in suits shout phrases like "this atmosphere - it's absolutely first rate" while people in the crowd do V-signs behind them.
Sky
The full hour and a half. Will feature at least three high-end indie band-soundtracked action montages and a bit where a smartly-dressed reporter wanders around the Camp Nou looking sombre while Catalan guitar music jangles in the background. Plus standard "meandering face-painted fans" ad break segments featuring capering children and a middle aged man in a jester's hat who really should know better by now.

In the studio

ITV
Anchored by the smooth and capable Chiles, successfully toning down his just-another-punter shtick in favour of asking pertinent questions and - a staple for any ITV frontman: witness late-career Bob Wilson – being good at not getting freaked out by the ad break. ITV might yet pull something left-field out of the punditry bag: the big ego manager; or the exquisitely groomed overseas star who appears to have (a) very little conversational English; (b) even less idea who Gareth Southgate is.
Sky
A late-running Jeff Stelling/Ed Chamberlin face-off has seen Stelling's expertise plus Brylcreemed-1950s-bus-conductor good looks triumph over Chamberlin's precocious junior stockbroker. Stelling will be joined by the thigh-chafing interjections of the strangely riveting Jamie Redknapp, Ray Wilkins telling people to stay on their feet in the mannered, soothing voice of an old-fashioned tea dance band-leader, and coming man Gary Neville, for whom this may be a defining moment around the strobe-lit coffee table.

Commentary team

ITV
The excellent Clive Tyldesley, a man who can often be heard tenderly mourning the vanished ecstasy of "that wonderful night in Barcelona (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/barcelona)" like a spinster aunt who once knew the love of a Catalan servant boy. Tyldesley will be joined by Andy Townsend. To replicate the experience of an Andy Townsend co-commentary stint repeat the phrase "I'd just like to see united go at 'em Clive" and inhale deeply on a tube of Lynx Executive Hold hair gel.
Sky
Martin Tyler, master craftsman and even in the tensest moments an audio experience as soothing as syringing your ears with essence of late-night Radio 2 preserved in clover honey. Tyler is perhaps Sky's biggest draw for the game, although the chemistry with the similarly-cerebral Alan Smith has yet to reach peak Gray levels, where the alternation between scholarly musings and sudden manly barks recreated the precise structural formula of a classic loud-quiet-loud grunge-era guitar track.

Bias factor

ITV
Likely to maintain the traditional mild British bias of UK terrestrial TV. Tyldesley's swooning United-isms are now simply part of the show.
Sky
Surprisingly impartial, with Redknapp and Graeme Souness particularly prone to extended froths over displays of entirely alien European footballing traits – refined technique, self-expression on the ball, being able to pass properly etc.

Ace card

ITV
That reassuring air of Saturday night prime time, keeping you always just a hop away from a fame-hungry breakdancing halfwit or a provincial police drama series where nothing ever really happens. It's nights like these, Clive, that your Adrian Chileses are all about.
Sky
Souness, English football's best pundit. Passionate, incisive and always wincing with coiled rage. At his best when riled or under the mistaken belief his basic punditry manhood is somehow being impugned. Go on Jamie: have a pop at Souness.

The whole experience feels like

ITV
Having the most basic points of elite club football patiently explained to you by nice men in shiny shirts, one of whom keeps doing his squidgy loveable face and winking at your wife.
Sky
A gleaming intergalactic football symposium beamed back to earth from some future-civilisation built entirely around "great European nights" and the concept of "top, top, top payers Jeff".

Time and place

ITV
7pm ITV1
Sky
6pm Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports HD1

:haha:

Barney Ronay :bow:

Cripps_orig
27-05-2011, 12:06 PM
ITV if i watch in my room.

Sky if downstairs

Might just stick on the radio and play Pro and then change to the football when something happens

Ernesto
27-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't really know who I want to win this game.

If ManUre didn't have their "passionate" following of glory-seekers, it would be the Salford lot.

Can't stand Barcelona but their football is exceptional. If, over 90 mins, Man Utd win, I can't help but think it'd be an injustice for football (but then, maybe ManUre will have deserved it, who knows...)

Strangely, at this time, Gooners are probably the most impartial fans going into this game!

McNamara That Ghost...
27-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I think I'll have Sky on. Their coverage does start at 6PM.

The Wengerbabies
27-05-2011, 02:27 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/27/champions-league-final-itv-skysports

:haha:

Barney Ronay :bow:

Sky for me, though I won't watch the build up.

Marc Overmars
27-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Ok, I think I will actively prefer it if United won. I just don't feel any bitterness towards them anymore, well certainly not as much as in years gone by.

Barca on the other hand, well, where do you begin?

Syn
28-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm indifferent between who wins. Barcelona are so much the superior side that it'd be a shame for footballing football for Man Utd to win. However although I echo Ernesto's views of the glory-seekers, the club itself is far less cuntish than Barcelona who are subhuman scum. Ok, so I'm not indifferent - slight preference for the mancs. Doubt I'll watch it in any case.

Boss
28-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Know far more Utd fans than Barca ones so Barca to win plsthx.

Joker
28-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Would prefer a Barca win.

Cripps_orig
28-05-2011, 10:19 AM
The board seems split.

Should have made a poll. Would have been interesting

The Wengerbabies
28-05-2011, 10:24 AM
They keep saying this is now bigger than the Super Bowl (TV audience-wise) with a predicted audience of 100m I'm sure the Super Bowl gets between 200-300m viewers.

Xhaka Can’t
28-05-2011, 10:50 AM
The Superbowl got 148.3m viewers in the US, Canada and Mexico alone.

Young Guns 11
28-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Know far more Utd fans than Barca ones so Barca to win plsthx.

:gp:

My flatmate would be insufferable if man u won. Plus I have money on Barca, made a bet with some bloke from my football team, back when it was the group stages, that Barca were a shoe-in to win and so he bet me a tenner that anybody apart from barca would win.

To conclude: VAMOS BARCA!!

Master Splinter
28-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I think we can all agree the preferred outcome would be a 9-9, in which there is a mass brawl and four players from each side is sent off. Pep and Fergie then also come to blows and when Pinto and Phelan join in to defend their masters, all four are sent to the stands. This leads to another brawl in the stands, as Catalan scum and Manc pondlife attempt to kill each other. When the match finally goes to penalties, these are also tied at 25-25. Busquets' WUMming then leads to Rooney spitting at him and it kicks off again. The ref abandons the match and the trophy is awarded to Schalke. Busquets and Alves are still seen rolling around the Wembley turf.

Penguin
28-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Would prefer a Barca win.
Same. As despicable as barca are I can't stand the thought of the mancs lifting another european cup. I hope they get demolished so see the look on the faces of Evra and Rooney.

Sirjackofwilshere
28-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Hopefully Barcelona destroy the Mancs.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Sky's programme starts in less than ten minutes. :popcorn:

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Beers are ready.

:popcorn:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Food too?

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Jeff Stelling gets the big gig.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Jamie Redknapp, Souness and Gary Neville in the studio. Bloody Neville.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Mr. Excitement Eidur Gudjohnsen is pitchside.

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Food too?

ofcourseofcourse.

KFC is arriving soon.

Players arriving. Love cup final build up. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Owen. :lol:

"It doesn't get much more glitzy than this". :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:11 PM
ofcourseofcourse.

KFC is arriving soon.

Players arriving. Love cup final build up. :bow:

KFC. :bow: Good choice, good choice.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Usain Bolt is there. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Berbatov isn't even on the bench. :wave:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Man Utd: Van Der Sar, Fabio, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Park, Rooney, Hernandez.
Subs: Kuszczak, Smalling, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Owen.

Barcelona: Valdes, Abidal, Pique, Mascherano, Dani Alves, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, David Villa, Messi, Pedro.
Subs: Oier, Puyol, Bojan, Keita, Afellay, Adriano, Thiago.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Wenger is there. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Southgate, Roy Keane and 'Arry are in the studio for ITV. :lol:

Sirjackofwilshere
28-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Why has GW slowed down?

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:29 PM
15 minutes to go.

:popcorn:

Master Splinter
28-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Christopher Ecclestone interviewing Wazza on ITV1 :unsure:.

A lower point in his career than Doctor Who.

Master Splinter
28-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Lil' Mickey over Andy Garcia :lol:.

The shame.

My prediction for the game is 2-1 to United.

fakeyank
28-05-2011, 06:37 PM
They keep saying this is now bigger than the Super Bowl (TV audience-wise) with a predicted audience of 100m I'm sure the Super Bowl gets between 200-300m viewers.

I dont understand whats being said tbh? Are they saying 100m viewers world wide or just in North America? If its North America, Super bowl is bigger than CL Final but to say CL final gets only 100m viewers world wide is a fucking joke! There are viewers all over Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and a very decent number in Australia, US and Canada as well... my guess on the numbers for a CL or WC Final would be 1-1.5 billion people at least!

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Lil' Mickey over Andy Garcia :lol:.

The shame.

My prediction for the game is 2-1 to United.

3-1 Barca I reckon.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:41 PM
A Fellaini tribute act are bringing out the trophy.

Joker
28-05-2011, 06:42 PM
2-1 Barca IMVHO

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Champions League music.

:bow:

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Champions League music.

Being sung live. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Rooney's cross, easy for Valdes.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Busquets is holding his face, probably legitimately this time.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Pretty good start from Man Utd. We were saying that two years ago though in fairness.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Hollywood special clearance from Valdes to deny Rooney. :lol:

GP
Come on Barca!

Injury Time
Pretty good start from Man Utd. We were saying that two years ago though in fairness.
8 mins in 11 players on the pitch :faint:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Tiki-taka from Pique and Valdes or just plain lucky? :d

GP
28-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Evra got lucky there, blatant pelanty.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Just wide from Pedro. :wacko: play there.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Fucking hell Messi. :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Just wide from David Villa.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:06 PM
David Villa shot, VDS saves.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Brilliant tackle from Vidic to deny Messi. Xavi and Iniesta were taking the piss there.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Man Utd are living very dangerously at the moment.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-05-2011, 07:11 PM
feels more like a semi final then a final tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:12 PM
1-0 Pedro, brilliant from Xavi.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Busquets diving again

GP
28-05-2011, 07:14 PM
It's been coming. Barca have been the better side by miles.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Dani Alves. :lol: He does look amateurish at times.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:18 PM
1-1 Rooney.

GP
28-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Looked offside.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Iniesta shot, fairly comfortable for VDS.

adzzzbatch
28-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Not watching as this doesn't interest me, but COME ON BARCA THRASH THOSE MANC CUNTS!!!!

I might switch it on if they get a few goals.

GP
28-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Not watching as this doesn't interest me, but COME ON BARCA THRASH THOSE MANC CUNTS!!!!

I might switch it on if they get a few goals.

:gp:

The mancs are cunts, tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Great idea on the freekick from Barca.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Incredible play from Messi.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:30 PM
1-1 half time, very good match.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, you have to grudgingly admit that it was a great half of football. Thoroughly entertaining with two positive teams going for it.

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Great match, great atmosphere. At last a final befitting of the occasion.

United are doing well in terms of closing down but I can't help but feel their goal was a sucker punch. Barca have been very dominant and only dropped a gear when they conceded, probably through the shock. Vidic and Ferdinand need to have the game of their lives here if United are to win this.

Joker
28-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Rooney's finish was first class. However, if the game continues in the same pattern after the break, Barca should eventually retake the lead. I don't think United can expect to hold out in this way, because they've been pushed back after the first 10 minutes.

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Whoever scores their 2nd first is going to win I reckon.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Was that really Mascherano there? :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:48 PM
It doesn't look like half time actually took place.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Good defending by Man Ut again. Barca were in, again.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:55 PM
2-1 Messi, what a goal!

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Fucking cunt. 2-1 to the shit fucks.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Hernandez showing his inexperience, you really do need top quality all over the field at this level.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Valencia has been given the Fletcher role.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Letters is on the pitch. With his clothes on, thank fuck.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:00 PM
And another foul from Valencia. :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Dani Alves gets booked. :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Valencia has been given the Fletcher role.

Barca get way too much protection. That last tackle by Valencia was no way a foul. The natural instinct of this lot is to go down and the refs seem to buy it by default. It's a huge advantage.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Carrick booked. Bit brutal. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:02 PM
LOL - Carrick, inly about 3 weeks late with the challenge.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Barca get way too much protection. That last tackle by Valencia was no way a foul. The natural instinct of this lot is to go down and the refs seem to buy it by default. It's a huge advantage.

I think it's a natural instinct of most players now, really mainly because they know they'll get the decisions.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Messi shot, straight at VDS. Reminds me of Henry's in the first minute in 2006. :(

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Horrendous miss by Messi

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Messi went for the backheel, Dani Alves seemed to take an eternity on deciding what to do. Not sure why Messi went for the backheel actually.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I think it's a natural instinct of most players now, really mainly because they know they'll get the decisions.

So basically what you are trying to say is Barca are a bunch of cheating cunts? I couldn't agree more.

McNamara That Ghost...
VDS parries from a long-range Xavi shot. Good save.

McNamara That Ghost...
So basically what you are trying to say is Barca are a bunch of cheating cunts? I couldn't agree more.

Nah, well, kinda. I'm more saying refs are stoopid. Or rather, UEFA/FIFA are.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Iniesta caught that one. :blink:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Nani on, Fabio off.

Niall_Quinn
Nah, well, kinda. I'm more saying refs are stoopid. Or rather, UEFA/FIFA are.

So you think they should be taken out to the back of the stadium and shot, including the subs? Bit harsh but I agree.

Why wasn't Nani playing, btw?

Niall_Quinn
Fuck, 3-1 Villa

McNamara That Ghost...
3-1 David Villa. Unbelievable.

Özim
28-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Villa magnificent there.

Niall_Quinn
Barca remind me a lot of us when we were decent. They're not as good, but similar.

selassie
Barca totally destroying Man United.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Rooney tries the same, got under it too much.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Villa vs Rooney - Villa wins.

Özim
28-05-2011, 08:13 PM
This isn't much of a Man U team mind, Ferguson's worked wonders but they're nowhere near the level they were a few years back (or indeed in 99)....despite their success.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:13 PM
We got two against them in the closing minutes. Let's see what happens. Wouldn't mind some ET here anyway.

Özim
28-05-2011, 08:15 PM
They didn't have their shooting boots on when they played us, missed a stack full of chances in the 2nd leg.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Scholes on, Carrick off.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:18 PM
LOL - why wasn't Scholes playing? No Nani, no Scholes, No Berbatov, but they were all fit? What's the story there?

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:19 PM
So this might be Pep's last match. Wenger out tbh! Pep in.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:19 PM
LOL - why wasn't Scholes playing? No Nani, no Scholes, No Berbatov, but they were all fit? What's the story there?

Not really sure but he had left out those players for the main games towards the end of the season. I guess they did win the league so though!

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Valencia. :lol: He's finally booked.

Also, David Villa did handball it there.

Niall_Quinn
Not really sure but he had left out those players for the main games towards the end of the season. I guess they did win the league so though!

Yeah, but Carrick and Valencia have been outclassed. Nani and Scholes would have been considerably more of a challenge. Don't get that, very weird. It's not like they are saving themselves for the next game.

fakeyank
I dont understand whats being said tbh? Are they saying 100m viewers world wide or just in North America? If its North America, Super bowl is bigger than CL Final but to say CL final gets only 100m viewers world wide is a fucking joke! There are viewers all over Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and a very decent number in Australia, US and Canada as well... my guess on the numbers for a CL or WC Final would be 1-1.5 billion people at least!

Can someone reply to this since the game is pretty much over? :(

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Somebody should have a word with Evra and tell him he should join Barca instead of wasting his time with the "petit princes"

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but Carrick and Valencia have been outclassed. Nani and Scholes would have been considerably more of a challenge. Don't get that, very weird. It's not like they are saving themselves for the next game.

Fergie said he knew what went wrong in 2009. If he did, nothing changed!

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Nani shot, dragged wide.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Can someone reply to this since the game is pretty much over? :(

400 million was the expected figure.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:27 PM
David Villa off, Keita on.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:27 PM
300m viewers world wide.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:28 PM
What's Fergie doing? :sick:

Özim
Fergie said he knew what went wrong in 2009. If he did, nothing changed!
Yeah just think his team aren't good enough, reckon he'll set about improving them significantly in the summer.

Take Barca and maybe Real out of this competition and there's a distinct lack of quality in it.

McNamara That Ghost...
Busquets. :lol: Someone stomp on him.

Niall_Quinn
Busquets - is there a bigger cunt in football. Discuss.

GP
28-05-2011, 08:29 PM
That was a savage foul on Busquets, the poor soul.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Puyol on, Dani Alves off.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:30 PM
That was a savage foul on Busquets, the poor soul.

Would be sad if he was dead, in a hilariously side splitting sort of way.

Özim
28-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Barca have a couple weaknesses that you can spot, firstly their defence is vulnerable to pace and secondly they tend to take their foot off the gas in games giving their opponents a way back in at times.

Could use a better keeper too perhaps.

fakeyank
28-05-2011, 08:31 PM
300m viewers world wide.

That just doesnt sound right, does it? At least 15-20% of China is watching this game.. that alone would be 200 million and then you factor in Europe. CL is huge in the middle east and across regions like South and South East Asia. It should easily come in the billion range IMO. Who does this calculations? 300m is way too less a figure..

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Iniesta went for goal of the century.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Rooney's not at the level most claim. He wouldn't get in the Barca side.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Barca have a couple weaknesses that you can spot, firstly their defence is vulnerable to pace and secondly they tend to take their foot off the gas in games giving their opponents a way back in at times.

Could use a better keeper too perhaps.
That's valid (although Valdes has improved immensely) but you only get 20%-35% possession to do any damage.

Afellay on, Pedro off.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:34 PM
3-1 full time. What a team. :bow:

Man Utd. :lol: It'd be a :haha: but they're too good.

GP
28-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Man U were thrashed, the result all Arsenal fans were hoping for.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:37 PM
That just doesnt sound right, does it? At least 15-20% of China is watching this game.. that alone would be 200 million and then you factor in Europe. CL is huge in the middle east and across regions like South and South East Asia. It should easily come in the billion range IMO. Who does this calculations? 300m is way too less a figure..

Who knows how the calculate it? I think you only have to watch for 3 mins to be counted or something stupid like that. But you don't need stats to work out that the CL is 10 times bigger than the super bowl. Nobody outside north america gives a shit about the SB whereas the CL is global. Also, 2/3 of China are sharing a clapped out B&W TV so that only counts once.

Özim
28-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Other clubs need to up their game to take on these guys, though Inter managed it last season of course.

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Terrible result for us. It'll just mean Utd will be back next year twice as good and the chequebook will be burning. Whereas I can think of 4 players in our whole squad who are good enough to have been on that pitch tonight (and 2 of them are probably leaving). That's how far behind we are and the gap will only grow, partly because of this result.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Abidal lifts the trophy, nice touch.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 08:53 PM
A team full of midgets Gary Neville eloquently put it. :lol:

Master Splinter
3-1 Barca I reckon.

fakeyank
Who knows how the calculate it? I think you only have to watch for 3 mins to be counted or something stupid like that. But you don't need stats to work out that the CL is 10 times bigger than the super bowl. Nobody outside north america gives a shit about the SB whereas the CL is global. Also, 2/3 of China are sharing a clapped out B&W TV so that only counts once.

I would love to know how they do the calculation. Excluding China, we'd still have 90% of South Korea watching this (for Ji Sung Park) and then you have the wealthy countries of Europe and Middle East where B/W TV's are not really in existence (Except certain Eastern European countries :lol:) Plus the audiences in Australia, North America and South America (Huge Barcelona following) and 300m looks like a joke. I'd love to ask the commentators how they came up with that number.

Master Splinter
28-05-2011, 08:54 PM
United :haha:

Fergie :haha:

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 08:58 PM
What are they letting Barca scum tear up the goals?

Elreactor
28-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Although I don´t like Barcelona at all, it´s very nice to see the mu crap fall apart like that.

The unabridged version of tippy tappy they produce can indeed destroy those twats.

:)

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Nothing United could have done to be honest. This Barcelona team is quite clearly the best there has ever been, absolutely incredible, about as close to flawless as you can get.

Man I want us to win this competition so badly.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Pique.

:doh:

Sirjackofwilshere
28-05-2011, 09:03 PM
You have to sit back and applaud. ****s that they are, boy are they good.

GP
28-05-2011, 09:04 PM
What's he done with the net? :lol:

Is he adding it to his big book of Derp scrapbook?

Also, what's the deal with going into the stand to present the cup? Don't they usually just build a podium?

Elreactor
28-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Will Wenger give us the sensation of watching Arsenal in a CL final again, and soon? I havo no clue.

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 09:06 PM
What's he done with the net? :lol:

Is he adding it to his big book of Derp scrapbook?

Also, what's the deal with going into the stand to present the cup? Don't they usually just build a podium?

Wemblee has always had the royal box presentation innit.

I prefer it like that to be honest.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Nothing United could have done to be honest. This Barcelona team is quite clearly the best there has ever been, absolutely incredible, about as close to flawless as you can get.

Man I want us to win this competition so badly.
Agreed on both counts. Their interplay is ridiculous, you can't make a defensive decision as they'll just go the other way. I said it's shit your pants time when Messi is running at you, put Xavi and Iniesta either side doing it and it is just give up time, I think.

Also, I'll never get over 2006.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Hurt.

GP
28-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Wemblee has always had the royal box presentation innit.

I prefer it like that to be honest.

Nah blud that's stupid. Everyone on that side can't see them.

Slacker
28-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Congratulations Barca. Your football is a joy to behold and despite the diving, rolling around and some of the outlandish decisions you get, you thoroughly deserved that.

Well done.

:jumpnana:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Nah blud that's stupid. Everyone on that side can't see them.

Agreed. I much prefer the podium on the pitch.

Marc Overmars
28-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Agreed on both counts. Their interplay is ridiculous, you can't make a defensive decision as they'll just go the other way. I said it's shit your pants time when Messi is running at you, put Xavi and Iniesta either side doing it and it is just give up time, I think.

Also, I'll never get over 2006.

All this talk of closing them down just doesn't work because they're so incisive with their passing and someone is always available. The only hope is defending for your lives just as Inter did last year, although Barca probably should have won that as well to make tonight a hatty.

Sirjackofwilshere
28-05-2011, 09:17 PM
2006 should have been ours..Titi messed up chance after chance. Besides we fucking lost to the Chavs in 04 when we could and should have really gone on to beat Porto in the final.

GP
28-05-2011, 09:18 PM
2006 should have been ours..Titi messed up chance after chance. Besides we fucking lost to the Chavs in 04 when we could and should have really gone on to beat Porto in the final.

Yeah we would have killed Porto in the final. Shame.

Özim
28-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Ferguson "That's all I'm saying, rite!"

Niall_Quinn
28-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Will Wenger give us the sensation of watching Arsenal in a CL final again, and soon? I havo no clue.

Wenger has no clue either.

latewinner
28-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Nope. That's the sad thing. We're just wasting years with him. Man I crave this feeling for us.

fakeyank
28-05-2011, 09:54 PM

2006 makes my heart bleed :cry:

latewinner
28-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Ferguson "That's all I'm saying, rite!"

LOL. Great wasn't it. Tried oh so hard to stay nice couldn't do it.

Titi14
28-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Woulda been us lifting that trophy if it hadn't been for a dodgy ref against Barca... Nah jokes!

Cripps_orig
28-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Mancs :haha:

Abidal :bow:

Only thing worth saying about this final

Toronto Gooner
29-05-2011, 12:06 AM
While I dislike the play acting and Fabregas tapping up, you have to accept that 3 CL wins in 5 years says dominance. Not quite the Ajax and Bayern Munich of the 70s but pretty damn close.

It also puts Arsenal's loss in perspective.

AKBapologist
29-05-2011, 12:11 AM
was quite satisfying seeing it happen to em tbh.

north bank nutter
29-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Yes and despite finishing second in our qualifying group, as some fans have suggested that a one off game vs barca would be easier, I would suggest if we did make it to the final we would have got walloped as well.

Arshavin, Bendtner and co take note. Defending starts from the front, they where awesome.

Super Ghel
29-05-2011, 08:49 AM
MU :haha:

Mr "No room for Errors" Evra :haha: Yup men against boys alright! :haha:

1 Shot on target all game and it was offside :haha:

KESSLER
29-05-2011, 08:56 AM
MU :haha:

Mr "No room for Errors" Evra :haha: Yup men against boys alright! :haha:

1 Shot on target all game and it was offside :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
29-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I would love to know how they do the calculation. Excluding China, we'd still have 90% of South Korea watching this (for Ji Sung Park) and then you have the wealthy countries of Europe and Middle East where B/W TV's are not really in existence (Except certain Eastern European countries :lol:) Plus the audiences in Australia, North America and South America (Huge Barcelona following) and 300m looks like a joke. I'd love to ask the commentators how they came up with that number.

Who are you?

Fucking Rainman?

LDG
29-05-2011, 09:33 AM
That was as close to anal rape as I've ever seen on a football pitch.

Hilarious.

Barca :bow: for giving me such self satisfaction amongst a bunch of Utd cunts. The silence was most amusing. Especially when I was singing arsenal songs all the way through it :haha:

WMUG
29-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I honestly believe we'd have done better than Man Utd last night. When we beat them at the Emirates, we were closing them down, pressing them high up the pitch and, in the second half, not giving them any space around our box with Koscielny and Djourou absolutely dominating their attack. United let them play it around their defence and didn't close Villa/Messi down outside their own box, didn't have a Song-type player – who was brilliant at the Emirates in reducing space in the middle of the park – and gave up after Villa's goal.

Marc Overmars
29-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Different circumstances though. I'm not sure we would have done any better in a single match to determine it all.

Kaiser
29-05-2011, 11:40 AM
You all forget that Guardiola miscalculated and took off Villa for Keita after an hour and that meant they lacked another option/runner up front which helped us in terms of soaking up their pressure and counter-attacking.

Sure we played brilliantly in that match, but perhaps the outcome would've been different in a one-off game, as they wouldn't have the home leg to bank on and wouldn't have taken off their striker.

I thought Man Utd played well bar Evra messing up (the cunt deserved that) for nearly all the goals, they just lacked a little luck in the key moments and a Carrick-Giggs midfield was always gonna get battered. One of Fletcher/Anderson would've helped shore up the middle.

Ernesto
29-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm gonna say it.

I think Pep Guardiola is the best club manager in the world.

There, I've said it.

Kaiser
29-05-2011, 01:56 PM
He's one of the best around currently, definitely. But the best? I'm not so sure.

Yes, he's won more in his first three seasons as a coach than any coach has previously in that period of their career.

But he's done it at a club where he knows everything, and is revered by the fans and players. Yes, he's perfected the defensive aspect of their play by incorporating a ridiculously effective pressing game and a fantastic work ethic from all the players.

I dunno how much influence he has on transfers but to be fair to him, he bought Pique on the cheap, prevented the club directors from selling Busquets and Pedro, and I think he also signed Alves, who's key to their style. He managed to revitalise the side by getting rid of a lot of the old guard in Deco, Ronaldinho etc.

But then they've bought a lot of duds in Hleb, Henrique, Keirrison etc while the Ibrahimovic deal was awful value for money.

He's like the third generation of total football from Michels to Cruyff to Guardiola. I think that the real test for him as a coach would be to manage another club abroad away from the culture he knows so well.

Power n Glory
29-05-2011, 02:21 PM
He should come to Arsenal and implement 'Tika Tika' / Total football 3.0. Show Wenger how it's done. Wenger is tying to create his own brand of Total Football but it's not working. Pep played for the man, that played for the man that started it with Ajax and the Dutch national team. Wenger loves the total football style but he can't get it right.

AKBapologist
29-05-2011, 02:55 PM
SAF's the best manger in the world atm. His ability to motivate techincally inferor players, as well as manage big personalities is second to none, with jose coming close.

With Pep, I always wonder where Barca would be without Messi. The style of footy is great but Messi is some kind of savior/freak/deity who drags them out of so many potencial banana skins.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Well true, he is a massive part of their team but I don't think Messi would be the same player he is now if Rijkaard had stayed (that's not to say Messi was poor because he quite evidently wasn't).

WMUG
29-05-2011, 05:50 PM
You all forget that Guardiola miscalculated and took off Villa for Keita after an hour and that meant they lacked another option/runner up front which helped us in terms of soaking up their pressure and counter-attacking.

Sure we played brilliantly in that match, but perhaps the outcome would've been different in a one-off game, as they wouldn't have the home leg to bank on and wouldn't have taken off their striker.

I thought Man Utd played well bar Evra messing up (the cunt deserved that) for nearly all the goals, they just lacked a little luck in the key moments and a Carrick-Giggs midfield was always gonna get battered. One of Fletcher/Anderson would've helped shore up the middle.We pretty much did it in 2 games, the second with Villa on for the 90; until the ridiculous RVP sending off, it was something like 4-0 in terms of shots on goal IIRC (though I admit I may not)and we were 3-2 up. If we did it over 2 games 11v11, we could definitely have done it in one in a neutral-but-biased ground.

Cripps_orig
29-05-2011, 07:21 PM
He'll flop anywhere else

Özim
29-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Different circumstances though. I'm not sure we would have done any better in a single match to determine it all.
Yup if Barca play well they'd have taken us apart as well, their passing, movement and quality is too much for anyone at the moment.

Frankly I thought overall they were below par against us, even in the 2nd leg where they created chance after chance (which they kept missing).

We can't compete against this quality of team, we've had far far better teams that would have found it hard. At the end of the day we've seen how good our team really is this season, proofs in the pudding as they say.

Marc Overmars
16-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Wembley has the final again in 2013.

Coney
16-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Wembley has the final again in 2013.

Can't wait to see us there, defending our CL title. ;)

Cripps_orig
16-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Wonder how much tickets will cost for that :popcorn:

Lets see if Platini is true to his word

WMUG
16-06-2011, 10:12 PM
WTF? Two years later? Really?

Marc Overmars
16-06-2011, 10:18 PM
It's to mark the 150th anniversary of the FA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13783154.stm

WMUG
16-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Ah. Makes sense. UEFA doing something reasonable :faint: