PDA

View Full Version : Will Wenger try and spend £16m+ again this summer?

Tony Tuesdays
09-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Well, according to several reports Wenger matched the minimum release clause in Phil Jones' contract and had he been able to persuade Jones he may well have been ours.

I know I was taken by surprise at his willingness to spend such an amount on a largely untested teenager, but it shows he had ambition to go against his usual party line of "English talent is too expensive".
If we did succeed I think Jones would've been one of our most expensive signings and to that end my questions is: Do you reckon we're likely to see Wenger spending such an amount again this summer? Does that show he's now prepared to spend more this close season?
Or do you think it's a one-off and he'll revert to type (£12m max)?You know, "we identified, we tried but we couldn't sign the player"

selassie
09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Well, according to several reports Wenger matched the minimum release clause in Phil Jones' contract and had he been able to persuade Jones he may well have been ours.

I know I was taken by surprise at his willingness to spend such an amount on a largely untested teenager, but it shows he had ambition to go against his usual party line of "English talent is too expensive".
If we did succeed I think Jones would've been one of our most expensive signings and to that end my questions is: Do you reckon we're likely to see Wenger spending such an amount again this summer? Does that show he's now prepared to spend more this close season?
Or do you think it's a one-off and he'll revert to type (£12m max)?You know, "we identified, we tried but we couldn't sign the player"

I personally think Arsene saw Phil Jones as a special talent and was obviously prepared to pay BIG money to get him. According to reports we had bids rejected for him last summer.

It wasn't by mistake that Man U, US, Liverpool, City, Chelsea & Spuds were all after him, from what I've seen of him he's a special talent who can comfortably play at the back or in a Defensive Midfield role.

He's played a fair few games in PL now and has pretty much shone.

Will Arsene try & spend this amount again this summer? Not sure....

Power n Glory
09-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Don't get your hopes up. We're always linked with players that end up going to another team. Baptista, Robinho, Inler, Melo, Alonso, Ribery, SWP....

So far this is no different to any other season. Linked with stars but we've bought an unproven 19 year old for an undisclosed fee.

If a bidding war story hits the papers then we won't be signing that player. I'm more interested in those stealth signing stories that say it's a done deal but we're waiting for confirmation from the clubs. How much we spend will be undisclosed as usual.

Özim
09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Don't get your hopes up. We're always linked with players that end up going to another team. Baptista, Robinho, Inler, Melo, Alonso, Ribery, SWP....

So far this is no different to any other season. Linked with stars but we've bought an unproven 19 year old for an undisclosed fee.

If a bidding war story hits the papers then we won't be signing that player. I'm more interested in those stealth signing stories that say it's a done deal but we're waiting for confirmation from the clubs. How much we spend will be undisclosed as usual.
This

Alias
09-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Who the actualy fuck is Phil Jones?!?!!

V-Pig
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Who the actualy fuck is Phil Jones?!?!!

This.

Marc Overmars
09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
He will get a good education there and with Rio getting on a bit I'm sure he will be more use to them than us. I would have been a bit shocked if we spent that much on someone who will warm the bench.

GP
09-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Don't know.

Kano
09-06-2011, 09:02 AM
don't see why not

LDG
09-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Maybe.

Coney
09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes

V-Pig
09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I got my team promoted spending only 2% of my transfer budget.

Japan Shaking All Over
10-06-2011, 02:22 AM
I got my team promoted spending only 2% of my transfer budget.

Stick it on your CV and send it in
would trust you more than a certain Mr Wenger

only thing is, could you handle being called a cu#t by all and sundry?

V-Pig
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
I think I'll manage.

Özim
10-06-2011, 08:28 AM
If he sells someone for big money yes.

Japan Shaking All Over
10-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I think I'll manage.

hopefully not in the same manner Wenger does

Olivier's xmas twist
10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Whi knows, i suppose he is trying to do something in the window. He needs to sort out the want aways before he can decdied to splash the cash i suppose.

Cripps_orig
11-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes

He will buy 16 french/african nobodies for £1m