PDA

View Full Version : Article quotes within posts lost when er quoting....

Injury Time
11-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Sorry I am probably being thick but how do you keep an article quote when reply to a post (I know how to do multiquote where other posts are involved, which is a royal pain in the arse as it is) but not sure how get around this
e.g. http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=253&p=8116&viewfull=1#post8116 when quote you just get what was said rather than the article quoted....
http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=253&p=8121&viewfull=1#post8121
:banghead:

cheers :tiphat:

The Wengerbabies
11-06-2011, 09:34 AM
It won't work because you can't post a quote within a quote.

Injury Time
11-06-2011, 09:36 AM
eh? You could with old GW :sulk:

The Wengerbabies
11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Different though, innit.

See I've just quoted your post which had my post quoted but now its disappeared.

Its good in that it stops quote after quote after quote being repeated. But it does have its downside with the article thang.

Injury Time
11-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Different though, innit.

See I've just quoted your post which had my post quoted but now its disappeared.

Its good in that it stops quote after quote after quote being repeated. But it does have its downside with the article thang.
No you just use the multiquote to get those, it's if there is an article posted as a "quote" that you lose it

Boss
11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Should be an option in vBulletin allowing quote strings to have a limit. Mods could look at that.

Bring back long quote strings tbh, would allow us to start up the good posting chains again

:gp:

Letters
11-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Test quote!

Test quote 2, inside first quote.

Does that work?

Jofnn
11-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Test quote!

Test quote 2, inside first quote.

Does that work?

nope - doesn't work!

Master Splinter
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Bring back the old GW tbh.

The Wengerbabies
11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Should be an option in vBulletin allowing quote strings to have a limit. Mods could look at that.

Bring back long quote strings tbh, would allow us to start up the good posting chains again

Jofnn
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Vbulletin doesn't allow auto nested-quotes (i.e. if you click "reply with quote") and is designed to only quote what the last person has said... Bearing in mind, that is what you are quoting!!! There are a number of reasons for this, which I agree with from an administrator point of view, including:

- Stops really long quote strings when going down the page (i.e. :gp: a million times over)
- Stops the database being clogged up with unrequired text, therefore ensuring your database lasts longer!

Although there are ways round this... my advice would be to leave it as is!

If you desperately need to use nested quotes, then you can do this yourself using the inbuilt quote button when replying... or physically adding a [ QUOTE ] at the start and a [ /QUOTE ] at the end of what you want to capture... It's a bit more work at the time, but, protects the forum in the long run!

Injury Time
12-06-2011, 05:51 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH :banghead: I know how to use the multiquote but it is a royal pain in the ass in a long thread where someone has
"QUOTED ARTICLE with relevant stuff in"
+Poster comment
and when you quote you end up with
"Poster comment no article", i.e. it doesn't capture it, I'm fucked if I'm going to then cut n paste the article in.

Maybe just me but I don't see how it adds value to the threads by making it so clunky...or maybe I just Ctrl+C the whole thing hmmm....

Jofnn
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH :banghead: I know how to use the multiquote but it is a royal pain in the ass in a long thread where someone has
"QUOTED ARTICLE with relevant stuff in"
+Poster comment
and when you quote you end up with
"Poster comment no article", i.e. it doesn't capture it, I'm fucked if I'm going to then cut n paste the article in.

Maybe just me but I don't see how it adds value to the threads by making it so clunky...or maybe I just Ctrl+C the whole thing hmmm....

:console:

Coney
12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I agree it is a loss. Sure, the silly long ones needed dealing with but nesting 3 or 4 times can help readability when reading a post referring to 2 or 3 messages in a chain. Sometimes you see a post saying something like 'I agree with the first point but thing this and that about the second point', this then being quoted by another but the sense of the argument has been lost.

Letters
13-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Is it something we could add as an additional option? Quote or Quote All. Or something?
I agree the sense of a conversation can be lost as it is.

Coney
13-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Is it something we could add as an additional option? Quote or Quote All. Or something?

Not sure which post you were replying to there. ;)

Letters
13-06-2011, 09:34 AM
:rimshot:

I was thinking out loud. Well. Not out loud but...you know what I mean.

<_<

Coney
13-06-2011, 09:36 AM
:rimshot:

I was thinking out loud. Well. Not out loud but...you know what I mean.

<_<

I'm back. :)

Injury Time
13-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Not sure which post you were replying to there. ;)

:run:

Letters
13-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm back. :)

I'll get out the bunting.

Jofnn
13-06-2011, 06:25 PM

I can edit the code to disable the stripping of the nested [ QUOTE ] tags to make it like it was before... perhaps we could run some tests on the dev board?

Failing that, I'm sure I could code something to do what you were thinking?

Coney
13-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I can edit the code to disable the stripping of the nested [ QUOTE ] tags to make it like it was before... perhaps we could run some tests on the dev board?

Failing that, I'm sure I could code something to do what you were thinking?

Not wishing to be too big a pain in the ass on this occasion but would it be difficult to add the date/time in the quote info along with the name of the quotee? Pretty please. :)

Letters
13-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Sounds good. I quite like the idea of having both options. There are times where seeing the thread is helpful but just quoting the previous message does cut down endless nested quotes.

Coney
13-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Sounds good. I quite like the idea of having both options. There are times where seeing the thread is helpful but just quoting the previous message does cut down endless nested quotes.

Hopefully, if there is a different (or extra) key-click to get the full set of quotes, people will do the simple one when needed. On invision, unless you dicked around to delete some of the stuff, you had all or nothing. A default quote of just the one item with the option to include all would be neat.

Jofnn
14-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Hopefully, if there is a different (or extra) key-click to get the full set of quotes, people will do the simple one when needed. On invision, unless you dicked around to delete some of the stuff, you had all or nothing. A default quote of just the one item with the option to include all would be neat.

I'll add it to the list and work to develop this shortly!

Injury Time
14-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Jofnn ; Think you need this as your avatar :bow:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5kgYTY3suxo/S-azXoJFssI/AAAAAAAAA4A/M3k8bZmmWkw/s1600/mighty_mouse.jpg

Coney
14-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I'll add it to the list and work to develop this shortly!

I bow to your devotion to the cause. :bow: