PDA

View Full Version : Tonights AST end of season review

Flavs
13-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok so the Arsenal supporters trust end of season meeting is tonigth and Ivan Gazidis will e there answering questions, i think we can all agree he will have 2 arseholes by the time he comes out. What has happend at the club over the past year/18months simply isnt good enough for a club f our size and stature and while we have had some great moments, and i expect Ivan to focus on these, we have had far too much of the same old same old.

So what i want to know is what would you ask him, what would you demand to know and what would you like his opinion on?

There will be a piece on he club website tomorrow with plenty of spin but Arseblog is posting what really happened so i will put that in as well.

Özim
13-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd ask him to tell me how great AW was and how great the team is, as well as why we have great team spirit and togetherness.

That's all I'd be able to ask him.

Joker
13-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I would ask him to remind the board that this is a FOOTBALL club, not just an ordinary business, so they should be worrying about more than just the share price, property values, revenue, turnover etc.

IBK
13-06-2011, 11:46 AM
The depressing thing is that whatever happens, it won't change jack.

Marc Overmars
13-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I'd ask him what he thinks of Wenger almost exclusively shopping for French/African-French players. Does he think these players have something extra to give and does no one at the club care about broadening their horizons in the transfer market?

Flavs
13-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd ask him what he thinks of Wenger almost exclusively shopping for French/African-French players. Does he think these players have something extra to give and does no one at the club care about broadening their horizons in the transfer market?

Like Vermaelen you mean? Or Arshavin? Or Wellington silva? Jenkinson? Galindo or Ryo?

come on guys i was expecting better than the depression bollocks, i expect that from certain quarters but MO and Sub i really expect better :sulk:

Cripps_orig
13-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Id ask him why Wenger isnt there

IBK
13-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Like Vermaelen you mean? Or Arshavin? Or Wellington silva? Jenkinson? Galindo or Ryo?

come on guys i was expecting better than the depression bollocks, i expect that from certain quarters but MO and Sub i really expect better :sulk:

What I meant was that whatever the fans express won't make any difference to the board's decisions. Its the same with most clubs, really. If matchday revenue falls - that's another story...

Olivier's xmas twist
13-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok so the Arsenal supporters trust end of season meeting is tonigth and Ivan Gazidis will e there answering questions, i think we can all agree he will have 2 arseholes by the time he comes out. What has happend at the club over the past year/18months simply isnt good enough for a club f our size and stature and while we have had some great moments, and i expect Ivan to focus on these, we have had far too much of the same old same old.

So what i want to know is what would you ask him, what would you demand to know and what would you like his opinion on?

There will be a piece on he club website tomorrow with plenty of spin but Arseblog is posting what really happened so i will put that in as well.

Id ask him how ambitious are ther board really, and who did he want to take over the club, the yank with the doddy tash or the fat russian gangsta wannabe.

Then id ask him why the fuck have we not sold the shite like denilson and bendtner

Ollie the Optimist
13-06-2011, 01:00 PM
i'd ask him how he can justify raising the prices after nothing for 6 years by 6% when united have just won the league and raised theres by a percent (i think thats correct, its very low raise though)

Marc Overmars
13-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd ask him to respond to the Fat Uzbek's comments yesterday.

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:05 PM
What I meant was that whatever the fans express won't make any difference to the board's decisions. Its the same with most clubs, really. If matchday revenue falls - that's another story...

Normally i would agree my friend but i have now been offered 9 season tickets for this season....9. That tells me people have lost the will to live when it comes to watching weak ass football and have become dissalusioned with the club, if what i hear is true then 15% of season ticket holders havent renewed, that will make an impact on the board IMO, yes i know we will fill those seats with reds or commercials but when the reporting gets to stan and Board they will realise something has changed at fan level.

I am also not with these that think the board dont know what they are doing, you dont get to be that rich by being a moron, these guys know what they are doing its just that what they are doing seems to be best for them not us at the moment, no-one was moaning when we were winning and i should think the board were lining their pockets then as well. I also dont hold with this belief that Stan wont change anything, he has a reputation and track record for making demands of his management as they are representing his business essentially. Yes Arsene has gone of kilter somewhere but even with our shocking collapse we still finished 4th, even with the spending that is going on below us we will be at least 4th again this season.

All is not well at the club but its a long way from being as bad as people are making out

selassie
13-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd ask him what objectives are set out for the Manager at the beginning of each season in terms of team performance & what is the bare minimum expected?

I'd also ask him what the estimated Clubs transfer budget is every season and if extending contracts/increasing wages of existing team members are included in the budget? Also when we sell players is the money made available to the transfer budget? If so...where has the money gone from previous windows? I would also ask if a certain player was approached and wanted to join, whether the transfer budget would be flexible enough if the said player cost outside of the budget allocated.

Finally, I would ask him if he believes our current model is sustainable in terms of bringing success to the team?

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:07 PM
i'd ask him how he can justify raising the prices after nothing for 6 years by 6% when united have just won the league and raised theres by a percent (i think thats correct, its very low raise though)

Waste of time asking questions like that as he would already have answers prepared "we havent raised ours for 4 years now and Manyoo's go up annually :blah:

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd ask him what objectives are set out for the Manager at the beginning of each season in terms of team performance & what is the bare minimum expected?

I'd also ask him what the estimated Clubs transfer budget is every season and if extending contracts/increasing wages of existing team members are included in the budget? Also when we sell players is the money made available to the transfer budget? If so...where has the money gone from previous windows? I would also ask if a certain player was approached and wanted to join, whether the transfer budget would be flexible enough if the said player cost outside of the budget allocated.

Finally, I would ask him if he believes our current model is sustainable in terms of bringing success to the team?

I think i could answer all of those mate and i think you could too.

LDG
13-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd ask:

Why, despite the same "on the pitch" failings over the past 3 years, culminating in arguably the worst capitulation this year, have the necessary, and acknowledged deficiencies not been attended to.

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd ask:

Why, despite the same "on the pitch" failings over the past 3 years, culminating in arguably the worst capitulation this year, have the necessary, and acknowledged deficiencies not been attended to.

I will be stan then...

"We acknowlege that there have been on pitch failings and we also note that despite these we finished 4th, above some teams who had their best ever season. While things could be better we have complete faith in Arsene Wengers abilities as a manager and back him fully, he has won many trophies in this league and will again we are sure."

;)

selassie
13-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I think i could answer all of those mate and i think you could too.

Sure, but it would make for interesting viewing seeing Gazidis squirm whilst answering.

GP
13-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd ask him 'What's your favourite kind of cheese?'

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Sure, but it would make for interesting viewing seeing Gazidis squirm whilst answering.

This is the thing mate he is a million pound salary guy, he is used to dealing with bigger grillings than any he could get tonight, that was the point of this thread to be honest, see if there was anything out of the norm people thought he should answer.

I remember when i did my legends tour and Charlie George was getting asked all the usual and then someone asked him if he could come up with an excuse for Eboue's involvement in the team and he was completly thrown

LDG
13-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I will be stan then...

"We acknowlege that there have been on pitch failings and we also note that despite these we finished 4th, above some teams who had their best ever season. While things could be better we have complete faith in Arsene Wengers abilities as a manager and back him fully, he has won many trophies in this league and will again we are sure."

;)

Why haven't Arsenal won anything for six years, Stan?

Grebbo
13-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Why is the club posting a profit every year instead of investing that profit (OUR FUCKING MONEY) into the first team?!

The answer: Because it made the club worth a fucking fortune and attracted Stanley. Now the directors will do one with their pockets lined with gold.

All this preaching they've being doing for the past five years about nasty foreign owners is complete bullshit. We have been completely screwed by our English owners. If a foreigner did what they've done (charged the most expensive tickets in the world, not invested in the team and sold the club for a huge personal profit) they'd have been lynched in the press. Bravo you rich bastards.

Scum.

selassie
13-06-2011, 01:35 PM
This is the thing mate he is a million pound salary guy, he is used to dealing with bigger grillings than any he could get tonight, that was the point of this thread to be honest, see if there was anything out of the norm people thought he should answer.

I remember when i did my legends tour and Charlie George was getting asked all the usual and then someone asked him if he could come up with an excuse for Eboue's involvement in the team and he was completly thrown

Nice!

I suppose then I would ask him if he would take some time out to read message boards such as (Goonersweb) to get an idea of the feeling amongst fans on a grassroots level.

Ironing
13-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I'd ask him if he fears for the brand / fanbase / income of the club if we keep failing to win

IBK
13-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Normally i would agree my friend but i have now been offered 9 season tickets for this season....9. That tells me people have lost the will to live when it comes to watching weak ass football and have become dissalusioned with the club, if what i hear is true then 15% of season ticket holders havent renewed, that will make an impact on the board IMO, yes i know we will fill those seats with reds or commercials but when the reporting gets to stan and Board they will realise something has changed at fan level.

I am also not with these that think the board dont know what they are doing, you dont get to be that rich by being a moron, these guys know what they are doing its just that what they are doing seems to be best for them not us at the moment, no-one was moaning when we were winning and i should think the board were lining their pockets then as well. I also dont hold with this belief that Stan wont change anything, he has a reputation and track record for making demands of his management as they are representing his business essentially. Yes Arsene has gone of kilter somewhere but even with our shocking collapse we still finished 4th, even with the spending that is going on below us we will be at least 4th again this season.

All is not well at the club but its a long way from being as bad as people are making out

Its not as bad, no - but undoubtedly we are now losing some of the lustre that we built up in the early 00's, and while the manager is more likely than not a fading force, our competitors are increasing in number. Add that to the fact that clearly there is an issue with the committment and mentality of our players, and its not looking too pretty, TBH.

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Why haven't Arsenal won anything for six years, Stan?

"Well thats a good question and its one we have discussed at board level, football is all about narrow margins and fine lines and sadly while we have been paying for the stadium move and going through the debt reduction process of the move we have fallen on the negative side of these lines, however with Stans investment and the Highbury square sale now complete, combined with the new sponsorship deal we are confident we have more financial freedom and a sustainable model that will allow Arsene greater spending power should he wish to spend it, however he is Arsenals manager and all decision on players stay with him.

We have continued to be competitive and play brilliant football while spendind little and massively reducing the debt while managing player prospetcs like Woji and Wilshere, that shows the ability of the manager"

IBK
13-06-2011, 01:44 PM
"Well thats a good question and its one we have discussed at board level, football is all about narrow margins and fine lines and sadly while we have been paying for the stadium move and going through the debt reduction process of the move we have fallen on the negative side of these lines, however with Stans investment and the Highbury square sale now complete, combined with the new sponsorship deal we are confident we have more financial freedom and a sustainable model that will allow Arsene greater spending power should he wish to spend it, however he is Arsenals manager and all decision on players stay with him.

We have continued to be competitive and play brilliant football while spendind little and massively reducing the debt while managing player prospetcs like Woji and Wilshere, that shows the ability of the manager"

And that, my friends, is why tonight will be such a ponitless and empty exercise...

Joker
13-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd ask him if he fears for the brand / fanbase / income of the club if we keep failing to win

Gazidis: No I do not fear for the brand because we've achieved 70% market penetration in North America, and the size of the market there means we are well situated to exploit the commercial opportunities open to us in that country. Moreover, with our tour of South East Asia this summer, we have another great opportunity to open up new markets, and with our world class marketing and strategy teams, we expect to achieve 44.34% penetration in the next 4 years in that region. By releasing a new shirt every season, and hiking ticket prices I expect the income stream to remain healthy, and despite consumer confidence at a 10 year low, I expect brand loyalty will mean many long term customers will maintain their relationship with the company, and keep paying for the product despite the straightened economic conditions.

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Its not as bad, no - but undoubtedly we are now losing some of the lustre that we built up in the early 00's, and while the manager is more likely than not a fading force, our competitors are increasing in number. Add that to the fact that clearly there is an issue with the committment and mentality of our players, and its not looking too pretty, TBH.

Well i do worry about champs league footie next year with both Spurs and the scouse undoubtedly going to be better but i will judge it on the 1st day of teh season when i see our staring line up, if its the same old shit playing the same shit way then yes, even I will join the negativity bandwagon. However if we are playing a more robust tactic with some new faces in there, and they dont have to even be these experienced winners people keep going on about, they just have to have the fight to make a stand when needed, then i will be chuffed and optimistic about the upcoming season.

What worries me is that Wenger says he would have to spend a great deal to get in players that would make a difference but i look at other teams players and i can see outstanding performers, maybe not the best ability or technically wise but certainly the standout players and i think "well we could get him for 5,6,7mil and he would make a BIG difference but i know Wenger wouldnt touch them with a very long bargepole.

Flavs
13-06-2011, 01:48 PM
And that, my friends, is why tonight will be such a ponitless and empty exercise...

I work in an environment where i have to answer such questions without ever answering them as well :)

LDG
13-06-2011, 01:59 PM

It isn't really. It is a chance for some of the fanbase to voice a real attack on the real problems. Yes the answers might be batted back like Prime Ministers questions, but a commercial man of his calibre will report back ot the board....so the more stinging the attack from our supporters, the better.

What I fear, is that our voice won't be loud enough, not that the answers (which are not significant) are not what we want to hear.

GP
13-06-2011, 02:16 PM
'What's your favourite thing about summer?'

Fist of Lehmann
13-06-2011, 02:24 PM
It isn't really. It is a chance for some of the fanbase to voice a real attack on the real problems. Yes the answers might be batted back like Prime Ministers questions, but a commercial man of his calibre will report back ot the board....so the more stinging the attack from our supporters, the better.

What I fear, is that our voice won't be loud enough, not that the answers (which are not significant) are not what we want to hear.

Don't worry, they haven't held back in the past. If frustration is the prevailing mood then the AST ought to reflect that.

@GP lol

Grebbo
13-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Who would win in a fight between you and Loyd Grossman?

Flavs
13-06-2011, 02:49 PM
'What's your favourite thing about summer?'

one swallow?

Japan Shaking All Over
13-06-2011, 03:43 PM
time for the fanbase to be represented which is never a bad thing!
thing is how far will both sides go!?

who's representing GW?

Özim
13-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Isn't the problem that they stop all that by only allowing you to say what they want you to say (everything else is nonsense or comes from stupid people).

Coney
13-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Isn't the problem that they stop all that by only allowing you to say what they want you to say (everything else is nonsense or comes from stupid people).

No - that's the Tory Party Conference.

Japan Shaking All Over
13-06-2011, 03:57 PM
sounds like a forum I post on!

lets just wait and see what happens:wine:

gunsofashburtongrove
13-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Good thread. I think Gazidis would clearly be a slippery eel in answering questions thrown at him hence the questions have to be well formulated without making it easy for him to get away with.
Mine would be
1. " What strategy has the board in mind to get us to win trophies, with the approach of adding youngsters and low profile seniors clearly not working".
2. " What are the parameters that would be used to measure Wenger's success. Is winning trophies one, if so how long can be continue without winning. What happens if he doesn't satisfy the conditions"

not sure if these are water tight though

LDG
13-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Arsène Wenger appeared before an invited audience of Arsenal Holdings plc shareholders earlier this evening for his annual question and answer session. Bob Wilson, former Arsenal goalkeeping legend, goalkeepers’ coach and now the club’s compare for all seasons was moderator again.

Bob kicked off with noting with approval Arsène’s new contract which will keep Le Boss at the club for at least another four seasons. Arsène was already the longest-serving and most successful manager in the club’s 123 year history. Both factually correct, although you wouldn’t know it at times if you listened to the “what have you done for me LATELY?” element amongst the Gooner Nation.

Wenger was pleased with the good start to the season. The players have the right attitude and spirit to fight to be amongst the ten clubs who will fight for the Champions League title and for the League title domesticall

The important thing now was to maintain the players’ feet on the ground and keep daily focus. It was important to guard team spirit and togetherness which was excellent at the moment. With younger players this was always fragile and easily lost. Confidence can go very quickly.

It had been a “very hard” transfer market. The club had worked night and day to add quality players. He was happy with his squad. He was impressed with the dedication of the new players.

Wilson got in a pre-emptive strike about the goalkeeping position, knowing that this subject was bound to be raised. Wenger said the current goalies had been exposed to pressure over the summer with the constant speculation. They had shown an outstanding response to the challenge.

Wilson then asked about Wenger’s targets and aspirations. Wenger fired back, “To win absolutely every competition.” He went on to say that the stadium move had presented challenges both to the club’s finances and the new and different environment at the Grove.

The club was now moving into the second phase. It had been frustrating not to win the League for five seasons and never to have won the Champions League. The team was maturing.

Wilson then went into the questions submitted in advance by shareholders. Clearly the club didn’t want a repeat of the last manager’s Q & A where a somewhat blunt, even rude question from a shareholder about, specifically Mikaël Silvestre provoked an answer that verged on the testy from the boss.

Adam Velasco kicked off with a question about Wenger’s vision and expectations in the coming years. Firstly, Arsène replied, to win – especially the Premier League and the Champions League. He also wanted to continue to develop the style of play. Off the field he wanted the club to develop at an international level. Often people didn’t realise how big Arsenal was around the world.

He wanted Arsenal to win and win with style, for Arsenal to be a special club with special values.

Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association (AISA) stalwart Paul Matz then asked about Arsenal v the England national team. Like many Arsenal supporters he was far more interested in the performance of Arsenal rather than the England national team. However a good England team performing well in big tournaments helped both Arsenal and the game generally. To what did the manager attribute England’s repeated poor performances? Poor coaching? The prevalence of illegal tackles? Lax refereeing? What remedies would be proposed?

Wenger responded that two of the great characteristics of English players were their passion to fight right to last minute and their love of the physical battle. The pressure placed on the England team by the passion of the nation meant some players were “not themselves.” He felt that England had played “with the handbrake on” in South Africa. The gap between success and failure was very narrow. In the game with Germany if the second England “goal” had been allowed that might just have turned the match.

There had also been a gap between the schools being responsible for coaching and this being picked up by the clubs. This had now been corrected.

He liked the commitment of English players. England was special in that respect. He didn’t like violence however. A fan who has paid £50 for a ticket wants to watch great players playing real football. The balance had to be right.

Stephen Monahan then addressed the “300lb gorilla in the corner” question. He had been watching Arsenal for fifty years and seen every Arsenal goalkeeper since George Swindin. He had never seen the club win a trophy without a top class goalkeeper. Goalkeeping errors at a succession of games last season had cost us the League title. This major flaw in the squad was a mystery, said Mr Monahan. Could the manager say what had happened with the bid for Mark Schwarzer?

Wenger’s response, far more good natured than his testy answer to a challenging question in the last Q & A in May 2009, was that he “We can prove you wrong.” He offered to meet Mr Monahan after the season. Wenger believed the club had four excellent goalkeepers. When a goal is conceded there are always at least four errors that precede any mistake the goalie might make.

The laws of the game now were different. Goalkeepers had to be able to use their feet and head as well as their hands.

Ian Town then asked about players concentrating after scoring a goal. He referred to specifically to the Champions League quarter-final second leg tie at Anfield. Did the players over-celebrate and lose focus at the cost of conceding a penalty which put Liverpool back in front?

Wenger was relatively candid in response by saying, “effectively” yes. He had shouted to Alexander Hleb to switch wings with Theo Walcott for this reason. Hleb hadn’t heard him in the din in the stadium. Theo Walcott wouldn’t make the same mistake now however. He was older and wiser, as were the team generally.

Nigel Phillips, a leading light amongst those excellent people at the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust (AST) asked about the new Premier League squad rules which the manager had so vehemently opposed. Why was he was firm in his opposition. Wenger said the rule was “artificial”. If you wanted to bring in a new player you had to lose one. Premier League clubs could play between 40 competitive games a season (38 league games, one Carling Cup game and one FA Cup game) and 64 if they went all the way in the two domestic Cups and the Champions League. The latter would assume entering the Champions League in the third qualifying round.

As an aside it could just conceivably be more – 38 League games in the League, six in the Carling Cup, ten in the FA Cup if the first game in rounds 3-6 were all drawn, and thirteen in the Champions League. Oh, plus just conceivably the Community Shield (formally classed as a competitive game but effectively a friendly), the European Super Cup (likewise) and the Club World Cup – 71. As likely as me winning the lottery I admit!

The need to transfer a player to make room in the squad for a new addition will put the player who the club wishes to leave in a very strong permission to demand sweeteners to leave. The new rules will “paralyse” the market.

The next question asked about the team’s continued weaknesses in defence and defensively in midfield. Why had these problems not been addressed?

The boss disagreed. We had Alex Song, Denilson, Aaron Ramsey and now Jack Wilshere, all of whom could play the holding role in midfield. There were three stages in a player’s development – scouting and signing them, educating and training them then – the most difficult – playing them. Wenger had been criticised in the past for not giving youth a chance. To be fair to the manager he did say some years ago at a club annual general meeting in answer to a shareholder’s question about not giving young players a chance in the first team that, “You pay for experience with points.”

Now he was giving youth its chance he was being criticised for not buying. By keeping the current side together we were trying to create something special. The side had been together for a few years now. This would pay off. He didn’t feel that the team was physically weak. The team had lacked experience. That increasingly wasn’t the case.

Tim Payton from the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust then asked about the manager’s attitude to the newly launched Arsenal Fanshare Scheme. Wenger’s response was one of studied neutrality. He would never comment on ownership issues he said. That wasn’t part of his job. As long as he had the freedom to manage the team he was happy.

Steve Cooper, also from the AST, asked why the manager hadn’t spent the money available to him. Wenger responded that he would never spend money the club didn’t have and would also look for players who would add to the squad.

The club’s new financial strength put the club in a position over the summer to say “no” to Barcelona when they bid for Cesc Fàbregas. The club’s financial strength meant it was never in a position of having to sell players to raise money. He wanted Arsenal to be strong not just over one or two years, but twenty or thirty.

Henry Williams then asked about why so many players were woefully one-footed, citing Robin van Persie and Jack Wilshere. Shouldn’t the players be coached to use their weaker foot?

Wenger responded that he felt the criticism was overstated. Some players made up for having only one foot by quickness of thought and action. Generally most Arsenal players were good with their weak foot.

Mike Hurst asked an interesting question about whether the club employed personality and aptitude testing for potential and current players. Wenger said he met personally with every new potential recruit before they were signed. The club tried to learn everything it could about a player. The club had used psychological tests to probe a player’s desire, consistency, ability to co-operate with others and so on. This had been done for six or seven years now.

A question then came about whether the club’s relative lack of reliance on television income was an advantage to the club. Chief executive Ivan Gazidis interjected to say the reason was that the matchday revenues were much higher than at most clubs.

Mark Brindle then asked about an annual event to which the players would attend to meet with supporters. There was a gulf now between players and fans. This spilt over sometimes into resentment.

Wenger didn’t quite get the point of the question, going off on one about the truly great players not being motivated by money. Winners had to have a desire to succeed. If players were only interested in money they would pack in once they’d made a fortune. Bob Wilson intervened to tell Wenger the point of the question. Wenger said he had no objection in principle but the problem was dates. The players were already committed to the annual charity fundraising dinner.

Jeffrey Freeman, another leading light in the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust asked about the club’s commercial activity, going back to the manager’s point about only spending the money we earn and the possibility of overseas tours in future.

Wenger admitted that he was under pressure from the club on this issue. He didn’t want to have players spending time that should be used in training and preparation in aeroplanes on long-distance flights. It would also be difficult in European Championship and World Cup years. He also said that that there was a FIFA regulation requiring players to have a minimum four week’s holiday a year (I don’t think so old son. If there is such a rule it’s a very well-kept secret. That said I actually think it’s in club’s enlightened self-interest to give players at least one lengthy break when they can completely unplug their bodies and heads from football). The club was examining the issue though.

Michael Lewis then asked about the number of injuries. In 1970/71 the club had won the Double with a small squad. What was the problem? Bob Wilson interjected to say that the club had had seventeen senior players in that season and had played 64 games in all competitions.

Wenger responded by saying that the game was far quicker today and impact injuries thus more severe due to the increased velocity of collisions. There was far better medical attention these days and players weren’t risked when injured. The quality of the game had suffered in previous times, with players only able to play at sixty or seventy percent of their ability due to injury.

All the questions from shareholder thus disposed off Bob Wilson concluded the hour long session. After the great performance against SC Braga we now faced a difficult away game at Sunderland on Saturday.

Wenger said the “transition” from Champions League games in midweek to the following League games would be key to the season. We were scheduled to play away after five of our six Champions League group games. This was particularly difficult when the club was away in Europe on the Wednesday and away in the League on the Saturday following. This meant a shortened recovery time added to the travelling.

The situation with international weeks was now better with the second games being played on Tuesdays rather than Wednesdays. Wenger expected us to do better this season. We were more experienced and looked more “stable” defensively. He would guarantee to work every day and give his very best to the club.

On that note the 170 or so shareholders adjourned for hot snacks.

More thoughts on the meeting tomorrow in my usual Friday blog.

Keep the faith!

Last years.

May sound a tad familiar tonight though :lol:

:banghead:

There will be a little more pressure tonight I feel.....depressing reading I'm afraid!

Marc Overmars
13-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Lets face it, we know we are going to get a politicians answer to everything asked, no matter how grilling the question is.

Maestro
13-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey Ivan! Where the fuck is Wenger and PHW? I just wanna talk to them bruv, honest.......:threaten:

budesonide
13-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Stephen Monahan then addressed the “300lb gorilla in the corner” question. He had been watching Arsenal for fifty years and seen every Arsenal goalkeeper since George Swindin. He had never seen the club win a trophy without a top class goalkeeper. Goalkeeping errors at a succession of games last season had cost us the League title. This major flaw in the squad was a mystery, said Mr Monahan. Could the manager say what had happened with the bid for Mark Schwarzer?

Wenger’s response, far more good natured than his testy answer to a challenging question in the last Q & A in May 2009, was that he “We can prove you wrong.” He offered to meet Mr Monahan after the season. Wenger believed the club had four excellent goalkeepers. When a goal is conceded there are always at least four errors that precede any mistake the goalie might make.

hahaaaa haaa haaaaa!

What a coc*K! Let's see what version of "judge me in may" he can come out with tonite.

I do hope Mr Mohanan did meet him after the end of the season.

Boss
13-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Some more stuff from the interview if you can be arsed to read it:

https://twitter.com/#!/Gingers4Limpar
http://twitter.com/#!/timpayton
http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenArsenal1

Niall_Quinn
13-06-2011, 07:36 PM

That's why the fans should just punch his lights out.

What would I ask him? Probably, when are you going to resign - cunt?

Coney
13-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm sensing some anger and disappointment in this thread.

GP
13-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm sensing some anger and disappointment in this thread.

I'm sensing some herp and some derp.

Kano
13-06-2011, 10:43 PM
snippets, taken from tim paytons twitter (AST) read from bottom up

Ivan closes by stressing importance of supporters and the value of evening. Very true. Credit to Gazidis for being open and engaged.

Gazidis says he has spoken to potential new signings already and expects to be busy. He is optimistic for the summer. Stay tuned....

Gazidis says huge costs involved in early repayment of stadium cost. Therefore rejects Usmanov offer.

Ivan ducks questions on Wenger succession plans. I think he thinks lots of media are following me for an easy headline. True!

Excellent news from Gazidis to back Fanshare and supporters involved in ownership. Arsenal is too important to be owned by just one person

'Stan Kroenke remains supporter of AST values & ownership models such as Fanshare. He will engage with AST & welcomes ownership scrutiny'

Q Does arsene need more help especially with defensive coaching? Lots of applause.

Q. Who is Arsene accountable to. IG: ultimately the fans who can make it unsustainable for him to stay. But doesn't think at that stage yet

IG: Some transfer funds are held in reserve. club should try not live on the edge.

Gazidis cites 'experience to close down games as being missing ingredient'. Summer transfer hint?

Q. Arsenal team has a poor work ethic and attitude. They beat barca & chelsea & man utd but can't win enough routine games.

Gazidis owns up. Arsenal attendances given on match day aren't attendances but tickets sold. Says it is so people know the match is sold out

Q. Having an Arsenal season ticket is more expensive than having children. Tickets are too expensive.

Hurrah. Gazidis agrees with me that FFP needs to also look at how much clubs take from their fans as well as their benefactors. Wake up uefa

@obutler It would be a lot of stooges. About 100 out of 200!

IG cites Kroenke track record to suggest he won't take dividends but doesn't give guarantee.

Will Kroenke take money or dividends out of Arsenal to cover his debt?

Gazidis is open to safe standing and sees it as an attractive solution. Arsenal plan to explore further.

A question asking for safe standing to make the emirates more affordable and improve the atmosphere. Apparently Arsene is supportive.

Ivan worried about disconnect between players and fans. Accepts more needs to be done and club needs to do better.

@MattLawExpress Refusing to discuss individuals. Says the media will pounce on it! True?

No plans to invite David Dein back to help Arsene.

Q.In the last 4 transfer windows we haven't done well. Can we remove aw from transfers & bring back David Dein? Lots of applause from AST

Next question. On what basis would you remove the manager?. IG: support Arsene 100%

IG "contracts are about assessing value of player. Our spend is efficient and overall we get value" implies won't be held to ransom

First question asks who is responsible for Nasri and Clichy to run their contracts down?

"Stan Kroenke will remain in background. Not looking for profile. Arsene looking at new signings now. Club must stick together". IG

Takeover completed on Friday. Stan Kroenke owns 66.6%. Almost two thirds exactly.

Gazidis justifies ticket price increase as only the second in six years. Defends as vital for the business model. Utility bills up 100%!

"A busy close season coming up. Players coming and going" IG

Ivan is here. He says he has a very busy day. Agents!

AKBapologist
13-06-2011, 11:48 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/free-video-gazidis-qanda-session-part-one

V-Pig
14-06-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm sensing some herp and some derp.

Tru dat.

Flavs
14-06-2011, 07:23 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13758021.stm

Summer spending expected

Flavs
14-06-2011, 07:36 AM
He did well i thought, he was open and relatively honest and he is clearly no fool when tryingt o be tricked into revealing coaching additions or transfer targets, also good news he has already spoken to the players we are after. As i said on another thread i think Wenger has already signed the playrs he wants but wont reveal anything until july 1st when the window opens so he can continue unabated.

If rumours are believed he is still in south america scouting and watching potential players so it looks like he will deliver what he has said.

Will have to wait to see if it makes a difference on the pitch though

Özim
14-06-2011, 07:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13758021.stm

Summer spending expected
Yeah but that only says it'll be a busy summer with comings and going, we're expecting quite a few players to leave, not expecting that many to come in.

Wenger has a tendency of selling players but not replacing them, he seems to ignore outgoings and consider new signings as additions, so even if we lost 5 and signed 3 he'd be happy with that.

Moreover it's coming up to season ticket renewal time, they always talk things up then.

I think it's a case of we believe it when we see it.

Marc Overmars
14-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Fans on SSN said it was same old, same old but there was a suggestion we are after more established players at least, time will tell I guess.

There didn't appear to be much backing for Wenger as well apparently.

Flavs
14-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Fans on SSN said it was same old, same old but there was a suggestion we are after more established players at least, time will tell I guess.

There didn't appear to be much backing for Wenger as well apparently. Ivan said the board were 100% behind the manager

Marc Overmars
14-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Yeah I meant from the fans in attendance, Ivan called it a minority when it clearly wasn't the case.

LDG
14-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah but that only says it'll be a busy summer with comings and going, we're expecting quite a few players to leave, not expecting that many to come in.

Wenger has a tendency of selling players but not replacing them, he seems to ignore outgoings and consider new signings as additions, so even if we lost 5 and signed 3 he'd be happy with that.

Moreover it's coming up to season ticket renewal time, they always talk things up then.

I think it's a case of we believe it when we see it.

Well a) we won't know until the window closes (much as it might be frustrating, and ultimately, maybe, possibly dissapointing)

b) If we lost 5 and bought in three, I don't think that's a bad thing, provided the "three" are what we desperately need. Culling the deadwood is no bad thing, as we have a massive squad....it's just a bunch of them are fucking shite.

Flavs
14-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah I meant from the fans in attendance, Ivan called it a minority when it clearly wasn't the case.

Ah i see, yeah agreed if they are a representative sample of the fans then things arent peachy for Mr. Wenger

tick tock

Özim
14-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Well a) we won't know until the window closes (much as it might be frustrating, and ultimately, maybe, possibly dissapointing)

b) If we lost 5 and bought in three, I don't think that's a bad thing, provided the "three" are what we desperately need. Culling the deadwood is no bad thing, as we have a massive squad....it's just a bunch of them are fucking shite.

a) Very true, but I'm not holding my breath we've been here before

b) Sure but it depends which 5 and whether Wenger recognises what we actually needs or whether he goes for the same old same old Wengeresque players again

I no longer trust him in the transfer market, he has to prove people wrong before anyone starts believing in him IMO.

selassie
14-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Ivan said the board were 100% behind the manager

That's all that matters, what do us stupid impatient people know eh? ;)

Marc Overmars
14-06-2011, 08:42 AM
The overriding theme here is that we'll just have to wait and see, as frustrating as it is. The ball is in their court now to deliver and everyone is watching.

selassie
14-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I no longer trust him in the transfer market, he has to prove people wrong before anyone starts believing in him IMO.

Unfortunately I don't trust him in the market anymore either.

LDG
14-06-2011, 08:44 AM
a) Very true, but I'm not holding my breath we've been here before

b) Sure but it depends which 5 and whether Wenger recognises what we actually needs or whether he goes for the same old same old Wengeresque players again

I completely agree. It's slightly different for me in the trust issue, in that I believe he knows the best talent, and he knows what is required, but I don't trust him to take a risk.....and I mean that financially.

For me, his main problem these past years is that the risk is in the players he buys, and their performance on the pitch, as apposed to the financial risk he so obvioulsy shuns.

If rumours are true, he is scared to spend big, and requires pushing to do so....and in turn opts instead for cheaper targets with talent, but unproven talent. i) in terms of age, and ii) in terms of what they can bring to the premiership.

He's walked a tightrope with signings like Silvestre, Squilacci etc. Trying to plug gaps for cheap in the hope that they will come off. Where he could have just bitten the bullet and gone for Samba/Jones/Cahill etc etc and taken the financial risk instead.

When he really goes for it (see Arshavin) you see what he can do. And this is where we need him, for once, to be ruthless.....sometimes it's easy to see where the bottler tag comes from within our camp.

Flavs
14-06-2011, 08:45 AM
The overriding theme here is that we'll just have to wait and see, as frustrating as it is. The ball is in their court now to deliver and everyone is watching.

AT least Ivan admitted the fans could get Wenger sacked if we see the same old same old.

selassie
14-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I completely agree. It's slightly different for me in the trust issue, in that I believe he knows the best talent, and he knows what is required, but I don't trust him to take a risk.....and I mean that financially.

For me, his main problem these past years is that the risk is in the players he buys, and their performance on the pitch, as apposed to the financial risk he so obvioulsy shuns.

If rumours are true, he is scared to spend big, and requires pushing to do so....and in turn opts instead for cheaper targets with talent, but unproven talent. i) in terms of age, and ii) in terms of what they can bring to the premiership.

He's walked a tightrope with signings like Silvestre, Squilacci etc. Trying to plug gaps for cheap in the hope that they will come off. Where he could have just bitten the bullet and gone for Samba/Jones/Cahill etc etc and taken the financial risk instead.

When he really goes for it (see Arshavin) you see what he can do. And this is where we need him, for once, to be ruthless.....sometimes it's easy to see where the bottler tag comes from within our camp.

This

Really :gp:

Flavs
14-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Come july the 1st a press conference will be called and Wenger will announce the signings of 3 players none of us had thought we were after, mark my words.

Wierdly i think we might go back for Hangelaand and go after Jack Rodwell plus a couple of more experienced signings

Flavs
14-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Didnt Wenger spend over 30mil the last time he was "fearing" for his job?

Özim
14-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Can't disagree with any of that, just hope he goes out and spends on quality for once.

Özim
14-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Didnt Wenger spend over 30mil the last time he was "fearing" for his job?
No, he's never had to fear for his job the board have always been 100% behind him and have said so consistently.

LDG
14-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Come july the 1st a press conference will be called and Wenger will announce the signings of 3 players none of us had thought we were after, mark my words.

Wierdly i think we might go back for Hangelaand and go after Jack Rodwell plus a couple of more experienced signings

Oh I think he'll spend this summer, and I think he'll be ruthless too. It was pretty clear how frustrated and gutted he was as we limped towards the end of the season.

I think the players, such as Bendy / Denilson etc all got their excuses ready early....he didn't play 'em much, and I think he'd already made up his mind the current crop couldn't be trusted to deliver, well before the end of the season.

He's been ruthless in the past when players haven't performed (see lehmann) or when they're on there last knockings (Petit, Overmars, Lauren etc). But I think he knows this is crunch time....we won't hear much from him before the start of the season, but I think we'll see a lot of moving and shaking.

Flavs
14-06-2011, 09:14 AM
No, he's never had to fear for his job the board have always been 100% behind him and have said so consistently.

You assume that what the board say and what the board does go hand in hand then

Coney
14-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Gazidis: No I do not fear for the brand because we've achieved 70% market penetration in North America, and the size of the market there means we are well situated to exploit the commercial opportunities open to us in that country. Moreover, with our tour of South East Asia this summer, we have another great opportunity to open up new markets, and with our world class marketing and strategy teams, we expect to achieve 44.34% penetration in the next 4 years in that region. By releasing a new shirt every season, and hiking ticket prices I expect the income stream to remain healthy, and despite consumer confidence at a 10 year low, I expect brand loyalty will mean many long term customers will maintain their relationship with the company, and keep paying for the product despite the straightened economic conditions.

So we are going to be relying on the Asian clique? Bugger.

Özim
14-06-2011, 09:34 AM
You assume that what the board say and what the board does go hand in hand then
When it comes to Wenger it seems pretty clear it does, they are always praising him and he's been allowed to do as he wishes for a long time now.

Coney
14-06-2011, 09:39 AM
When it comes to Wenger it seems pretty clear it does, they are always praising him and he's been allowed to do as he wishes for a long time now.

How do you know that? As they have already said, disagreements are kept behind closed doors and they show a solid face to the outside world. Wenger and the board are too professional to air dirty linen in public. Gazidis was quite specific about this and Wenger has said the same kind of thing in the past about what he does and does not say to the players.

LDG
14-06-2011, 09:53 AM
So we are going to be relying on the Asian clique? Bugger.

Well, they do sew together the shirts so well. And on the cheap.

TEG :bow:

Cripps_orig
14-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Q. Who is Arsene accountable to. IG: ultimately the fans who can make it unsustainable for him to stay. But doesn't think at that stage yet

We're closer to it than he thinks.

Toronto Gooner
14-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I think the players, such as Bendy / Denilson etc all got their excuses ready early....he didn't play 'em much, and I think he'd already made up his mind the current crop couldn't be trusted to deliver, well before the end of the season.
Whether they spoke the truth or used excuses, at least Bendtner and Denilson make their positions clear, public and early, unlike two of the top players who are using the media, agents and opposition players to try to create an atmosphere which (they hope) forces Arsenal to sell them. Thereby enabling them to say "It was not my fault, Arsenal sold me".

LDG
14-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Whether they spoke the truth or used excuses, at least Bendtner and Denilson make their positions clear, public and early, unlike two of the top players who are using the media, agents and opposition players to try to create an atmosphere which (they hope) forces Arsenal to sell them. Thereby enabling them to say "It was not my fault, Arsenal sold me".

Well, if they knew they were being dropped / sold, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that in order to make up for their own, quite obvious, shortcomings last year, they should state publically their desire to leave and join a club with bigger aspirations....so I fully expect bender to join someone like Villa and Denilson will go to some shite Italian outfit and fade to obscurity.

With regards Nasri, he's after more dosh and pay parity with the biggest earners. Agents will do what they can to make that happen, therefore not suprising. We would never sell to Utd in a million years unless they spunked millions at us. Therefore I would assume that it's a way to hold the club, to a degree, to ransom. I suspect he wants to continue at Arsenal, but money speaks volumes, therefore, if we don't match it, he's off.

And Cesc?? Come on. You know better than that.

Toronto Gooner
14-06-2011, 02:07 PM
And Cesc?? Come on. You know better than that.
Better than what? DO you seriously believe that everything that has happened over the last two years has not been approved and orchestrated by Fabregas? The past two years could have been avoided by Fabregas doing one of two things:
(a) Publicly saying that he wanted to stay at Arsenal; or
(b) Putting in an official transfer request.

He does not do the latter because it will hurt him financially. So he plays the outside pressure game using others to talk about his Barcelona DNA, etc.

Kano
14-06-2011, 02:11 PM
i actually think fab should be applauded for his honesty in wanting away. we all knew it when he joined that the day would come and he was always very quick previously to run out and deny press speculation about him.

its far better for him not to say he wants to stay when we all know he always wanted to go back and i think handing in a transfer request would ruin how fans view him.

the barca cunts needed no assistance in their marketing campaign.

LDG
14-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Better than what? DO you seriously believe that everything that has happened over the last two years has not been approved and orchestrated by Fabregas? The past two years could have been avoided by Fabregas doing one of two things:

He does not do the latter because it will hurt him financially. So he plays the outside pressure game using others to talk about his Barcelona DNA, etc.

We all know he wants to go to Barca at some point, yes? It's bleeding obvious to all and sundry, and to say otherwise would make him look like a dick in all honesty. All Arsenal fans know he wants to go there, and most Arsenal fans will not deny him that chance at some point.

But he has stated on many occasion that he wants to win something with Arsenal. He is our captain afterall, and it really is a matter of when the time comes.

The bullshit from his Barca mates is partly a ribbing at Cescs expense. It's banter.

What we do know if that Barca cannot afford him right now.

Cesc signed the contract, and I believe he will play, as last season, for his current club, and in a professional manner, unless the club want to sell him, and if the right offer is made.

I don't think he desperately despises Arsenal. I think he loves the club and is one of the few who respect it. But he has two teams in his heart, and if he's honest about that, which he has been, I'm ok with that. There is no politics being played from his angle, because he knows the score, and will continue to play for us until a deal is on the table which reflects his value. And I really don't think he has a problem with it.

LDG
15-06-2011, 11:46 AM
We all know he wants to go to Barca at some point, yes? It's bleeding obvious to all and sundry, and to say otherwise would make him look like a dick in all honesty. All Arsenal fans know he wants to go there, and most Arsenal fans will not deny him that chance at some point.

But he has stated on many occasion that he wants to win something with Arsenal. He is our captain afterall, and it really is a matter of when the time comes.

The bullshit from his Barca mates is partly a ribbing at Cescs expense. It's banter.

Cesc signed the contract, and I believe he will play, as last season, for his current club, and in a professional manner, unless the club want to sell him, and if the right offer is made.

I don't think he desperately despises Arsenal. I think he loves the club and is one of the few who respect it. But he has two teams in his heart, and if he's honest about that, which he has been, I'm ok with that. There is no politics being played from his angle, because he knows the score, and will continue to play for us until a deal is on the table which reflects his value. And I really don't think he has a problem with it.

Cesc Fábregas has admitted he feels frustrated at Arsenal, but insists he will not press for a summer transfer to Barcelona.

On Tuesday his Arsenal team-mate Bacary Sagna claimed Fábregas had decided to seek a return to the Catalan club where he came through the youth system before moving to London in 2003. However Fábregas has insisted that he will not agitate for a transfer.

Fábregas said: "Barcelona are the best team in the world and going there guarantees titles. But I owe myself to Arsenal.

"Any player who says he is not frustrated at not winning titles is lying. I am ambitious. [But] I have not spoken to the manager. He is the boss, he takes decisions and I don't know if they want to sell me or not.

"I have values and after all that I have done in eight years here I am not going to say a word that would ruin everything. I have always acted with discretion.

"Everyone sees things in a different way but in these [sorts of] decisions, not everything depends on the player. If I said anything else it would be a lie, it would give rise to speculation that is not true.

"I am very happy at Arsenal. I am not going to talk about any team – but I can't say no to anyone because you never know what could happen in the future."

Barça have tried and failed to sign their former player in each of the last two summer transfer windows.

I've never done an "I told you so".

I told you so.

Coney
15-06-2011, 01:38 PM
It's a good job no-one has been criticising Cesc as disloyal then. ;)

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I've never done an "I told you so".

I told you so.
You do realise that Fabregas will lose his sign-on fee if he puts in an official transfer request? Depending on the size of the transfer fee, that figure would be in excess of 2 million.

"I have values and after all that I have done in eight years here I am not going to say a word that would ruin everything. I have always acted with discretion.
Exactly how would putting in an official transfer request "ruin everything"? Want to have a stab at defining "acted with discretion"?

LDG
15-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Mate, he's talking about media bullshit, being misquoted etc etc.

I.e. He loves the club, and doesn't want to tittle-tattle to ruin the relationship he has with the club and it's fans. And that anything that goes on regarding his transfer* will be carried out behind closed doors and not through the media.

EDIT:* I shold say possible transfer / future.

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 01:50 PM

I do not, for a moment, think that he despises Arsenal.

Banter!! What B.S. One or two instances is okay but an 18 month long stream of "He has Barca DNA", "They should let him go", etc., is not banter, it is part of an overall strategy. A strategy that seems to be working because you are quite happily buying the party line.

Master Splinter
15-06-2011, 01:51 PM
It's a good job no-one has been criticising Cesc as disloyal then. ;)
I'd prefer Fabregas to wear a Barcelona shirt and weep yearningly over pictures of Pique. Xavi and Iniesta on the pitch while also playing well and scoring some goals for Arsenal. He could also dedicate each goal to Pep and pull up his shirt to reveal a message reading "please rescue me from Wenger and the shitness of Bendtner". As long as he's puttng in some effort though, I wouldn't care how disloyal he's been. I'd choose that over some lame soundbites.

Coney
15-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd prefer Fabregas to wear a Barcelona shirt and weep yearningly over pictures of Pique. Xavi and Iniesta on the pitch while also playing well and scoring some goals for Arsenal. He coould also dedicate each goal to Pep and pull up his shirt to reveal a message reading "please rescue me from Wenger and the shitness of Bendtner". As long as he's puttng in some effort though, I wouldn't care how disloyal he's been. I'd choose that over some lame soundbites.

Part of his dream is about to come true then.

LDG
15-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I do not, for a moment, think that he despises Arsenal.

Banter!! What B.S. One or two instances is okay but an 18 month long stream of "He has Barca DNA", "They should let him go", etc., is not banter, it is part of an overall strategy. A strategy that seems to be working because you are quite happily buying the party line.

At what point has any of the "banter" upset either Arsenal as a club, unsettled the player, or caused Wenger any concern?? It has no bearing on anything. The quotes are B.S., dude.

It has upset Arsenal fans. But it affects the club very little. And it doesn't affect Fabregas, because he has stated his intentions on more than one occassion. Yes he'd like to play for Barca, but also that he loves Arsenal, is happy there (maybe a bit frustrated) but wants also to win trophies with us....it's not up for debate!

As for buying the party line?? Eh?? I hate Barca. I have little respect for any player, Barca, Arsenal, Utd...anyone....who mouths off to the media. But I don't buy it, because it doesn't matter.

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Mate, he's talking about media bullshit, being misquoted etc etc.

I.e. He loves the club, and doesn't want to tittle-tattle to ruin the relationship he has with the club and it's fans. And that anything that goes on regarding his transfer* will be carried out behind closed doors and not through the media.

EDIT:* I shold say possible transfer / future.
Would your opinion of Fabregas change if he put in a transfer request? I still believe that he (or his advisers) are trying to portray him as loyal to Arsenal while still agitating for his transfer.

All of the tittle-tattle could be eliminated by saying (or something to the same effect):
(1) I love Arsenal and have 4 more years left on my contract. I fully intend to honour that contract. Obviously, I am a Catalan and started my career in the Barcelona youth system. If Barcelona would like me to join them, then they can talk to Arsenal to see if both sides can reach an appropriate resolution. Until such time, I am Arsenal's captain and I am fully committed to the success of my team.

or

(2) I love Arsenal and have learnt so much in my 8 years at the club. However, I am a Catalan and started my career in the Barcelona youth system. Barcelona have indicated that they would like me to join them. After considerable thought and discussion with my family, I have reluctantly decided that I would like to return to my home. Therefore, I am putting an official transfer request. I will not leave Arsenal to any club other than Barcelona.

Coney
15-06-2011, 02:07 PM

I do believe it has not been orchestrated by Fabregas, as I do also believe that the twin towers were brought down by terrorists flying hijacked civilian aircraft into them.

You say 'he does not do the latter' but don't delve into the former and the fact is that he has said he wants to play for the Arsenal and has no plans to do otherwise on any number of occasions. He just said it again today. But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Kano
15-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Would your opinion of Fabregas change if he put in a transfer request? I still believe that he (or his advisers) are trying to portray him as loyal to Arsenal while still agitating for his transfer.

All of the tittle-tattle could be eliminated by saying (or something to the same effect):
(1) I love Arsenal and have 4 more years left on my contract. I fully intend to honour that contract. Obviously, I am a Catalan and started my career in the Barcelona youth system. If Barcelona would like me to join them, then they can talk to Arsenal to see if both sides can reach an appropriate resolution. Until such time, I am Arsenal's captain and I am fully committed to the success of my team.

He has pretty much said all of that already. The only thing he hasn't is he will see out his full contract.

Only the occasional homegrown player would ever state that and bar those guys, he is weakining his position as an employee, which no smart person would ever do.

LDG
15-06-2011, 02:16 PM
If he put in an official transfer request, I'd be pissed off. He would effectively be driving his price down.

If he says, I love arsenal blah blah, four more years blah blah....it would be bullshit, and everyone knows it.

Like I said. I don't think he's overly fussed. If he has to stay at Arsenal, he's happy to do so (though after the guff from last season, I think he's want some major assurances in the form of quality additions to the squad and some ambition from the club).

He knows he's Barca bound one day....but if he has another couple of years with us, it's not going to worry him.

He will always be professional on the pitch, and give his all.

The point really, is that Arsenal need to show some ambition. If we're not prepared to show ambition, then we're not worthy of a player of his claibre regardless.

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I do believe it has not been orchestrated by Fabregas, as I do also believe that the twin towers were brought down by terrorists flying hijacked civilian aircraft into them.

You say 'he does not do the latter' but don't delve into the former and the fact is that he has said he wants to play for the Arsenal and has no plans to do otherwise on any number of occasions. He just said it again today. But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
I did not say that he did not want to play for Arsenal, I said stay at Arsenal.

And if he had absolutely nothing to do with what has happened for the last 18 to 24 months, then why has he not stopped it? These are supposed to be his friends, it would be pretty easy to send a text or even talk to them when of national team duty, telling to stop things.

BTW: Conspiracy = An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

Master Splinter
15-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Like last season? He was generally shite and looked like he was on his holidays long before everyone else decided to take them early too.

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 02:22 PM
If he put in an official transfer request, I'd be pissed off.

The point really, is that Arsenal need to show some ambition. If we're not prepared to show ambition, then we're not worthy of a player of his claibre regardless.
I cut out some of your reply as these are the points I wanted comment on.

Strangely enough, I would respect him more. I would be pissed off than he wants leave, yes. But, he has at least been honest and put the proverbial money where his mouth is.

Before this season, I would have totally agreed with his professionalism but this season, he has shown some less-than-professional actions, IMO.

Totally agree that Arsenal need to show ambition. I has said before (on the other site) that Arsenal need to make a "statement" signing; a top name player.

Coney
15-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I did not say that he did not want to play for Arsenal, I said stay at Arsenal.

And if he had absolutely nothing to do with what has happened for the last 18 to 24 months, then why has he not stopped it? These are supposed to be his friends, it would be pretty easy to send a text or even talk to them when of national team duty, telling to stop things.

BTW: Conspiracy = An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

You can't stop everyone from saying things. And if you think he should be not doing what you claim he is, then you presumably think it is a wrongful act, etc ......

LDG
15-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I cut out some of your reply as these are the points I wanted comment on.

Strangely enough, I would respect him more. I would be pissed off than he wants leave, yes. But, he has at least been honest and put the proverbial money where his mouth is.

Before this season, I would have totally agreed with his professionalism but this season, he has shown some less-than-professional actions, IMO.

Totally agree that Arsenal need to show ambition. I has said before (on the other site) that Arsenal need to make a "statement" signing; a top name player.

I do get your point mate, but to me, he is being honest and open. I honestly don't think he minds playing for Arsenal. I think he loves the club. The only spanner in the works is our lack of ambition to match his own.

There will come a point, if we don't change (maybe even this summer) where he's had enough. But he'll make his case to the manager, not through the media, and do the right thing i) by himself and ii) by Arsenal. He won't whore himself, as I think he has more respect for Arsenal than that.

Coney
15-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I do get your point mate, but to me, he is being honest and open. I honestly don't think he minds playing for Arsenal. I think he loves the club. The only spanner in the works is our lack of ambition to match his own.

There will come a point, if we don't change (maybe even this summer) where he's had enough. But he'll make his case to the manager, not through the media, and do the right thing i) by himself and ii) by Arsenal. He won't whore himself, as I think he has more respect for Arsenal than that.

:gp:

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 02:34 PM
You can't stop everyone from saying things. And if you think he should be not doing what you claim he is, then you presumably think it is a wrongful act, etc ......
While it is true that you cannot stop all people from saying things, I would think that friends and national team colleagues could be approached and told reasonably firmly "shut the f**k up".

I put the definition of conspiracy in my post to show that what I was suggesting that Fabregas is doing is NOT a conspiracy. There is nothing illegal, wrongful or subversive in it. I may not like it and consider it sneaky and underhand but there is nothing illegal about it.

Kano
15-06-2011, 02:36 PM
is that really the corner of your argument? they came to our training ground recently, at our invitation and took a picture of themselves fawning over a pic of him taken from the wall. barca have not achieved the arrogant tag for no reason, it's in their dna. i would not go as far as to say they are his best buddies, people he spends time with away from football so why should they listen to him?

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 02:59 PM
is that really the corner of your argument? they came to our training ground recently, at our invitation and took a picture of themselves fawning over a pic of him taken from the wall. barca have not achieved the arrogant tag for no reason, it's in their dna. i would not go as far as to say they are his best buddies, people he spends time with away from football so why should they listen to him?
Terry,

I would recommend that you review newspapers for the past 18 months for Fabregas transfer stories. You will find comments from Xavi, Inniesta, Puyol, Pique, Villa, Messi to name just a few and all of them are talking about how Fabregas should return to Barcelona.

Articles like these:
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/865338-cesc-fabregas-deserves-arsenal-to-barcelona-transfer-david-villa (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/865338-cesc-fabregas-deserves-arsenal-to-barcelona-transfer-david-villa)

http://www.1000goals.com/carles-puyol-arsenal-wrong-to-deny-fabregas-move-to-barcelona

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Cesc-Fabregas-transfer-How-Barcelona-stars-Lionel-Messi-Xavie-Iniesta-Pique-and-Puyol-have-publicly-tapped-up-Arsenals-skipper-article527827.html

LDG
15-06-2011, 03:02 PM
This from Arseblog:

Cesc Fabregas has given his strongest indication yet that he will stay at Arsenal this summer after confirming that he is very happy at the Emirates.
The Spanish midfielder, who has long been a target for childhood club Barcelona, had been heavily tipped to quit the Emirates this summer to return to the Nou Camp but speaking today at an event in Madrid for the launch of a new cologne by Angel Schlesser (http://www.angelschlesser.com/) is quoted by Marca (http://www.marca.com/2011/06/15/futbol/futbol_internacional/premier_league/1308131790.html?a=ffcdda6f5937ae6ab5d41e61e71d74ae&t=1308132361)as saying:
“I’m very happy, I’m an Arsenal player now, and that’s it. Wenger knows what I want and he’s the boss, he decides.”
Paying lip service to the well publicised transfer speculation linking him with a return to Barcelona, Fabregas made clear that while he was full of admiration for the recent success achieved under Pep Guardiola he would not speak in public about a future move out of respect for the Gunners.
“It’s frustrating not to win trophies. Barcelona are a great club, the best in the world, and playing there is a guarantee to win.
“I won’t step forward and say I want to join Barça. After 8 years at Arsenal, I won’t harm the club. That’s not my way of being.”
The news will come as a major fillip to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal fans as they look to retain their best players this summer while adding further new faces in an attempt to end their six season run without a trophy.

Kano
15-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Terry,

I would recommend that you review newspapers for the past 18 months for Fabregas transfer stories. You will find comments from Xavi, Inniesta, Puyol, Pique, Villa, Messi to name just a few and all of them are talking about how Fabregas should return to Barcelona.

Articles like these:
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/865338-cesc-fabregas-deserves-arsenal-to-barcelona-transfer-david-villa (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/865338-cesc-fabregas-deserves-arsenal-to-barcelona-transfer-david-villa)

http://www.1000goals.com/carles-puyol-arsenal-wrong-to-deny-fabregas-move-to-barcelona

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Cesc-Fabregas-transfer-How-Barcelona-stars-Lionel-Messi-Xavie-Iniesta-Pique-and-Puyol-have-publicly-tapped-up-Arsenals-skipper-article527827.html

i’m still not sure how that changes anything i’ve said above. ive read all the annoying articles over the same period, many of them just rehashed nonsense.

he is team mates with them at spain and as far as i know doesn’t spend time with them away from the field. we all know how muggy they can all be historically, let alone their presidents using our players as part of their election campaigns. Its what they do. do you think he asked them to force that shirt onto him after the world cup? that was the epitome of their character and how ‘barcelona are more than a football club’ etc etc, all that sanctimonious bs alongside their success for the national team and club inflates their ego beyond reason.

i cant see how he could tell them to stop it without falling out with them, a polite word in their ear wouldn’t do it

Toronto Gooner
15-06-2011, 03:14 PM
We will agree to disagree on this. Although I do not have the links to hand, I do recall several articles where it was stated that Fabregas texts these guys regularly.