PDA

View Full Version : is meeting people online that weird?

Ollie the Optimist
21-06-2011, 11:05 AM
was having this chat with my parents and they think i am wierd cos i use twitter, this etc to converse with people and say that people online are strange and you shouldnt talk to them but go out and meet people instead.

now by going out, i asked well if someone goes out, gets drunk, meets and shags a girl that night and then keeps in contact and it goes further, isnt that still wierd? how is talking to someone online, getting to know them a bit before agreeing a meet up and seeing where that goes?

to me the first bit seems more strange as with the second one, you at least know people a little before you meet them. i've met a few of my twitter followers and become good friends with them yet people think i am wierd because of that yet meeting people on a night out is normal.

Hump
21-06-2011, 11:09 AM
was having this chat with my parents and they think i am wierd cos i use twitter, .

Yeah twitter is weird Skype would be normal

LDG
21-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Not really.

Met loads of people from on here, and it's actually more healthy than going out and meeting people.

In the real world, you tend only to associate with those of similar age / outlook etc.

Would never have spoken to some of the people on here if I'd met them out in town. Not through any hang up I have, just you tend to fall into different groups in the real world.

In actual fact, a few of the people I've met on here have become some of my best friends. If it hadn't been for this place, I'd never have met them, and that would be rather a sad situation.

Marc Overmars
21-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Never met anyone online before, I think that first greeting would just be a bit weird because I'd find it difficult to link the online persona to the actual person.

Wouldn't mind having a beer with some on here though in the future.

LDG
21-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Never met anyone online before, I think that first greeting would just be a bit weird because I'd find it difficult to link the online persona to the actual person.

Wouldn't mind having a beer with some on here though in the future.

That's what I thought. But it's actually quite exciting.

And within 5 minutes you're banging away (stop it) about The Arsenal etc.

Love meeting new people.

Toronto Gooner
21-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I do not think that it is weird. Through this site and another Arsenal one, I have friends across the world. I regularly talk to people who live in Thailand, Dubai, South Africa, U.S., Australia, as well as Britain. When I go back to Britain for my sister's wedding next year, I hope to be able to fit in a game and a visit with a bunch of people I would have never known without the internet.

LDG
21-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I do not think that it is weird. Through this site and another Arsenal one, I have friends across the world. I regularly talk to people who live in Thailand, Dubai, South Africa, U.S., Australia, as well as Britain. When I go back to Britain for my sister's wedding next year, I hope to be able to fit in a game and a visit with a bunch of people I would have never known without the internet.

You're not meeting up with us. Don't think you're our sort :sulk:

Flavs
21-06-2011, 11:33 AM
What LDG says, some of the guys i have met from here have been closer to what i would call a "friend" than anyone I could stumble across at work or while out and about. As you say you can pre-filter people as you know what they are all about (If they are genuine on here)

You should meet Obi, top bloke but scary fookin eyes.

Toronto Gooner
21-06-2011, 11:37 AM
You're not meeting up with us. Don't think you're our sort :sulk::crying:

LDG
21-06-2011, 11:40 AM
:lol:

Nah, seriously man, once the new season gets under way, look out for the meet-ups thread, and come have a beer when you're over.

Talking of which....summer piss-up anyone??

Toronto Gooner
21-06-2011, 11:49 AM
:lol:

Nah, seriously man, once the new season gets under way, look out for the meet-ups thread, and come have a beer when you're over.

Talking of which....summer piss-up anyone??
No problems. I will try to sort things out. The wedding is in Edinburgh in April.

Summer piss-up? Let me know when, and I will participate "virtually" but I make no promises about the quality of my spelling towards the end.

Syn
21-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I try not to judge (and fail miserably) but yeah...a little bit. The act of meeting the person(s) isn't weird at all but it's not something you'd go broadcasting.

Never met anyone online apart from through here (assuming work-related stuff doesn't count). We need a GW event. BBQ 'round DF's imo - you'd meet so many posters it'd be the highest turnout in GW history.

Letters
21-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I never got on to messageboards to meet people but I have met some people from 606 and here who I now consider friends.
As LDG says, I'd never have spoken to them otherwise so it does broaden your horizons somewhat.
And now I've met my ladyfriend online too so hurrah for teh internets :dance:

And yes, summer pissup (well, oj-up) sounds good. You may get to meet the missus which is surely reason enough to come along :unsure:

Alan B'stard
21-06-2011, 08:24 PM
was having this chat with my parents and they think i am wierd cos i use twitter, this etc to converse with people and say that people online are strange and you shouldnt talk to them but go out and meet people instead.

now by going out, i asked well if someone goes out, gets drunk, meets and shags a girl that night and then keeps in contact and it goes further, isnt that still wierd? how is talking to someone online, getting to know them a bit before agreeing a meet up and seeing where that goes?

to me the first bit seems more strange as with the second one, you at least know people a little before you meet them. i've met a few of my twitter followers and become good friends with them yet people think i am wierd because of that yet meeting people on a night out is normal.

nah youre ok. just make sure you dont get groomed by anyone

Xhaka Can’t
21-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Everyone I've met from online turned out to be a fucking asshole.

I'll never learn.

Cripps_orig
21-06-2011, 08:32 PM

This.

Injury Time
21-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Everyone I've met from online turned out to be a fucking generous asshole.

I'll never buy them a pint.

I KNOW! :sulk:

the old one's are the best

Ollie the Optimist
21-06-2011, 10:45 PM

what makes you say that?

Hump
22-06-2011, 11:42 AM
my book inspired, sometimes misplaced, sense of humour

Japan Shaking All Over
22-06-2011, 03:02 PM
would feel much safer meeting you guys.......I mean having football as a common interest makes me think that most of you get out and breath fresh air from now and again

but was playing Grepolis for quite a while and I swear some people were on that 24/7 - I mean working out time differences some must have been online when most of their country was tucked up in bed.......saying that there were a couple of top blokes and gals playing it too

Coney
22-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Everyone I've met from online turned out to be a fucking asshole.

I'll never learn.

Same here.