PDA

View Full Version : So how is everyone feeling over transfer activity

Elche
22-06-2011, 05:21 PM
No suprize but my annual frustration mode is kicking in just now.

We seem to be standing still as usual while many of our rivals strengthen. We appear to be after players but there are problems as always with the fee, the wages and the fact they choose other clubs.

Why can't we go for a player and just get the deal done...So much dithering or waiting for other clubs to do their business.

Some might say...Hey you don't know what's going on...Well in this World today we know a hell of a lot. We know that Gervinho has been in talks because his club said so, we know Samba has been in talks because his Coach has said he wants to join...and so on.

But this feels like most Summers...it will fly by and we'll hope that deals are done later. Leaving no time to prepare.

Anyway just venting...and this is the general opinion on line. With Twitter and Facebook you have incredible access to large quantities on fans.

Finally you have the business of Cesc, Nasri, Clichy and Bendtner...what happens to them...we should be strengthening, if we lose any of them...we'll replace but it won't strengthen...For me it's the same old BS.

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 05:31 PM
i am actually feeling positive about this summer atm. yes we havnt announced anything yet, but then when do we? we all know what wenger is like. i seem to remember when we signed diaby, theo and ade in january they were announced at the same time but deals done at different times (i could be wrong there)

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 05:33 PM
For me it's the same old BS.

Not just you.

I have no doubt we'll sign players. We always do. We'll sign some no hopers though as usual instead of the quality needed.

WMUG
22-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm not expecting anything other than shit signings and a 4th place finish next season. Anything more than that will be a bonus.

Özim
22-06-2011, 05:55 PM
It'll be the same old thing as usual, yes we will sign players but they're never the ones we need and are never of a high enough quality.

Wenger's already gone back to his favourite destination looking for Gervinho, Wenger's got another thing coming if he thinks players like him will keep the fans happy.

Joker
22-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not expecting anything other than shit signings and a 4th place finish next season. Anything more than that will be a bonus.

Same here, I've not been encouraged by some of the names being banded about at the moment. With Wenger at the helm, there's an air of inevitability regarding our transfer dealings. You just assume that we're going to be disappointed, with Wenger focussed on signing cheap, mediocre players with limited experience of top level competition, and failing to strengthen the squad in the most important areas.

Letters
22-06-2011, 05:57 PM
We appear to be after players but there are problems as always with the fee, the wages and the fact they choose other clubs.

What is the basis for any of that? Papertalk or anything more solid.
I've not read much as I can't be arsed with all the nonsense the papers spout but who have we been after and what clubs did they choose instead of us? Or if there was a problem with the fee or wages then how do you know that? 'Cos The Sun said so or is there something more solid?

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:00 PM
What is the basis for any of that? Papertalk or anything more solid.
I've not read much as I can't be arsed with all the nonsense the papers spout but who have we been after and what clubs did they choose instead of us? Or if there was a problem with the fee or wages then how do you know that? 'Cos The Sun said so or is there something more solid?
Years of experience tell us money is always a problem, Wenger is cheaper than Cheapy McCheap on discount day at the pound shop!

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:00 PM
imagine if the signings that some people are moaning about before they are even signed, do well. i mean what would happen? they would actually have to eat their words but knowing them, they'd moan about something else

Joker
22-06-2011, 06:01 PM
You just know Wenger's going to drag a lot of transfer deals to the last minute, trying to drive the price down, until it's too late and the window closes, and we're in a situation where the squad isn't strong enough to cope with a sustained assault on the EPL and Champions League. Sounds depressingly familiar unfortunately.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:01 PM
imagine if the signings that some people are moaning about before they are even signed, do well. i mean what would happen? they would actually have to eat their words but knowing them, they'd moan about something else
Like Chamakh, Koscielny and Squillaci you mean........I don't believe in the tooth fairy anymore, sorry!

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Years of experience tell us money is always a problem, Wenger is cheaper than Cheapy McCheap on discount day at the pound shop!

So past experience, no solid knowledge about what we may or may not be doing this summer.
Thought so.

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Like Chamakh, Koscielny and Squillaci you mean........I don't believe in the tooth fairy anymore, sorry!

agree wholehearted with squillaci but disagree with kos. thought he had a great first season.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2011, 06:03 PM
getting rather annoyed.

everyone else bar chelsea seem to be signing players and showing their intent, whilst we as usual are sitting back and losing out deals to rivals.

pretty sure chelsea will sign players now they have appointed a manager so depression gets worse.

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:05 PM
getting rather annoyed.

everyone else bar chelsea seem to be signing players and showing their intent, whilst we as usual are sitting back and losing out deals to rivals.

pretty sure chelsea will sign players now they have appointed a manager so depression gets worse.

Who were we after and failed to get?

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:06 PM
So past experience, no solid knowledge about what we may or may not be doing this summer.
Thought so.
Well years of the same thing happening would allow you to hazard a pretty good guess. Trouble is with Wenger people say the same thing every season, wait till wait till the end of August, wait till Xmas, wait till the end of January, wait till the end of the season.....then it all starts again.

Nothing ever changes and nothing ever will, we're well schooled in the art of negotiating at Arsenal.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:07 PM
agree wholehearted with squillaci but disagree with kos. thought he had a great first season.
Fair enough, I thought he was rubbish and wish we'd never signed him.

We might actually have won the CC if we hadn't who knows. He made a number of high profile errors throughout the season, the odd good game doesn't make up for that. Not up to scratch for me.

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:08 PM
would quite like us to go out and spend 50 million on a name, see him flop and then listen to zimm etc moan about how wenger should have watched him first, and how he wasted all that money etc etc

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Well years of the same thing happening would allow you to hazard a pretty good guess.

I think guess is the key word there.
I see lots of people on this thread expressing frustration but I've not seen anyone yet say who it is we were after and have failed to get or what the problem with wages or fee was (as Elche claims, but doesn't back up).

If y'all want to get frustrated about things when you've no idea what's going on then go nuts. I'll wait till the end of the transfer window and see what's happened then. Or at least until I've heard some far more solid statements about who we may be after.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Ronaldinho, Cech, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo etc etc if you believe the BS merchant at the helm :lol:

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Fait enough, I thought he was rubbish and wish we'd never signed him.

We might actually have won the CC if we hadn't who knows. He made a number of high profile errors throughout the season, the odd good game doesn't make up for that. Not up to scratch for me.

we could have won the cc if players could have been bothered tbh. their first goal was laughable too. thought he did well esp in jan/feb when we were really storming up the league and that barca game, he was a rock. just look at united, they were diabloical in defence. he made mistakes but he is a good player

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Ronaldinho, Cech, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo etc etc if you believe the BS merchant at the helm :lol:

We were after all those this summer? That's what this thread is about so unless so an irrelevant list but thanks for playing.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:10 PM
would quite like us to go out and spend 50 million on a name, see him flop and then listen to zimm etc moan about how wenger should have watched him first, and how he wasted all that money etc etc
a) We'd never do that
b) We don't need to spend 50 millon to buy quality
c) It's unlikely he's flop over time, top players come good 99% of the time and pay back their transfer fee

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:13 PM
we could have won the cc if players could have been bothered tbh. their first goal was laughable too. thought he did well esp in jan/feb when we were really storming up the league and that barca game, he was a rock. just look at united, they were diabloical in defence. he made mistakes but he is a good player
One game against Barca that's all people can point to, one game...he gave away a penalty in the 2nd leg which pretty much ended any hope we had incidentally.

United may not have been that good but they won the title and got to the CL final at the end of the day, with a team that weren't that great...just shows what a good manager can do.

Koscielny cost us that final, his stupidity and lack of concentration gave away a goal and gave us no chance to get back into it. The team may not have performed well but it's was 1-1, had he done his job as any 25 year old player would we'd have got to extra time.

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:16 PM
One game against Barca that's all people can point to, one game...he gave away a penalty in the 2nd leg which pretty much ended any hope we had incidentally.

United may not have been that good but they won the title and got to the CL final at the end of the day, with a team that weren't that great...just shows what a good manager can do.

Koscielny cost us that final, his stupidity and lack of concentration gave away a goal and gave us no chance to get back into it.

if you gonna blame kos for the goal in cc, you need to blame ches too. both made the mistake not one or other. and i didnt just point to the barca game, i said in jan and feb he was a rock. and its true, look at the chavs game in december, he was a beast then. drogba couldnt do anything that game.

and yes he gave away a penalty in the second leg but that didnt cost us, a diabolically corrupt decision cost us and so did dennis bentner fucking up. until rvp sent off, we were 30 mins from going through

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:19 PM
if you gonna blame kos for the goal in cc, you need to blame ches too. both made the mistake not one or other. and i didnt just point to the barca game, i said in jan and feb he was a rock. and its true, look at the chavs game in december, he was a beast then. drogba couldnt do anything that game.

and yes he gave away a penalty in the second leg but that didnt cost us, a diabolically corrupt decision cost us and so did dennis bentner fucking up. until rvp sent off, we were 30 mins from going through
Ches is a kid, at the end of the day though a good defender would have cleared it thus rendering the keeper irrelevant in this.

At no stage was he a rock, he made a lot of errors, whether it be getting beaten to headers, positional errors or just making stupid tackles. An error is an error at the end of the day, regardless of anything else he let us down again in a big game.

Chelsea were on their worst run in years in December they couldn't get a win for toffee and all and sundry were beating them, it's not hard to see why they didn't perform against us and why we kept some of their out of form players quiet. Somehow we let them get above us though, still shocked at that after the run they had.

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Ches is a kid, at the end of the day though a good defender would have cleared it thus rendering the keeper irrelevant in this.

At no stage was he a rock, he made a lot of errors, whether it be getting beaten to headers, positional errors or just making stupid tackles. An error is an error at the end of the day, regardless of anything else he let us down again in a big game.

Chelsea were on their worst run in years in December they couldn't get a win for toffee and all and sundry were beating them, it's not hard to see why they didn't perform against us and why we kept some of their out of form players quiet. Somehow we let them get above us though, still shocked at that after the run they had.

erm i dont know if you saw the chelsea game, but erm we completely outclassed them in every way. none of this, form crap, our players were all over them. dont buy what you said at all.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2011, 06:22 PM

jones. looks like we might lose out on cahill too.

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Source? Please don't say "The Sun".

Ollie the Optimist
22-06-2011, 06:24 PM

yeah lets not blame wenger for this one. he offered the money that blackburn wanted, offered a lot to jones but jones decided to stay in north west.

Boss
22-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Same shit different season. Can't see us buying any big names which is what we need to push on really.

Nothing will change until Wenger gtfo's of our club. The sooner the better.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Source? Please don't say "The Sun".

dunno really, depends what you're looking for. i usually prefer:

http://culturewav.es/system/images/488414/original/heinz_ketchup_bottle.jpg?1273869841

but a little bit of this on a kebab does it for me:

http://www.jjfoodservice.com/images/products/large/SAU041.jpg

in all seriousness, the word around the block seems to be that city have trumped our offer. nothing majorly credible but one guy has got everything completely spot on so far and seems to think he's going city.

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:31 PM
You're not seriously suggesting we can compete with City in the transfer market? :lol:

Ollie the Optimist
city come in and play silly buggers and offer 100 billion quid just cos they can and thats wenger fault too? oh dear

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
You're not seriously suggesting we can compete with City in the transfer market? :lol:

when did i say that?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2011, 06:33 PM
city come in and play silly buggers and offer 100 billion quid just cos they can and thats wenger fault too? oh dear

you've got the wrong end of the stick. the question says 'how is everyone feeling over transfer activity' and i stated i was disillusioned, then gave reasons why i.e. losing out on jones and maybe cahill.
when did i say it's wengers fault?

Letters
22-06-2011, 06:37 PM
when did i say that?

Well, you didn't. But it's not valid to criticise the club for us losing out to City when they have a bottomless pit of money.
If you're not doing that then fine, but some on here will 'cos they'll use any excuse to make a stick to beat Wenger or the club with.

Grebbo
22-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm feeling like it's business as usual.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Almunia lines up in goal for the first game of the season along with the same old shit in front of him.

Wenger didn't attempt to fix our obvious faults last summer, what makes you think he will this summer?

Sirjackofwilshere
22-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Really frustrated - Man utd won the league and go out and continue to strengthen in areas they aren't even very weak in.

Whereas this club is playing its usual game in the transfer market...penny pinching, waiting for the price to fall and subsequently losing out on a deal, no ruthlessness and desire to improve in areas we are in dire need of some improvement.

Believe me we will lose Wilshere if this is the clubs policy for the next few years. We'll be left with Bendtner and Denilshit as we slip down the table. Yipeeee

selassie
22-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Same as usual, what makes it that much more disappointing is the garbage we've been linked with this Summer.

I don't even care anymore, just sick of it all TBH.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:56 PM
erm i dont know if you saw the chelsea game, but erm we completely outclassed them in every way. none of this, form crap, our players were all over them. dont buy what you said at all.
Everyone was beating them then, they were so out of form the relegation fodder were winning against them.

We beat them yes, but they were completely out of form which is very relevant as it would have been a lot harder had then not been so short of confidence.

Özim
22-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Same shit different season. Can't see us buying any big names which is what we need to push on really.

Pretty much.

Özim
22-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, you didn't. But it's not valid to criticise the club for us losing out to City when they have a bottomless pit of money.
If you're not doing that then fine, but some on here will 'cos they'll use any excuse to make a stick to beat Wenger or the club with.
It's not all about money, City outbid Barca for Sanchez...he didn't want to go there though so Barca paid less than City offered.

If we were a desirable destination we could compete in other ways, we're not because Mr Wenger has turned losing into an art form.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Feeling the same as every Arsenal transfer window, completely indifferent. Maybe we will make some surprise signings, or we will do the bare minimum just to balance the books. We've been here plenty of times before so there's no point in getting downbeat about this, we just have to be patient as always.

Boss
22-06-2011, 07:06 PM

ManU have spent an average of £2.69M a season since 2006.

Our biggest problems have nothing to do with money.

Darth Vela
22-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Selling a guy for 80m is going to pervert the figures a little, they ain't been shy in the transfer market, Fergie is a big part of why Man U have been so competitive but so has paying a lot of money out on the right players, like Carrick/Berba/Valencia/Nani for example.

Alan B'stard
22-06-2011, 08:43 PM
its a bit extreme but wenger's recoprd would also look shit if you idnt count things like selling anelka for huge money as it was at the time. cant have it both ways

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Pretty much like DV said, what? They've spent a lot more than that, I fail to believe that's their average spend. If you're including the Ronaldo transfer fee to make it net spend then I think that is a bit disingenuous. I agree with the principle that our problems can be rectified without the need of spending shedloads but just looking at Man Utd as an example for that isn't fair.

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Never a truer word said

KSE Comedy Club
22-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Its too early to moan about transfers.

I dont see all this activity from every other PL club in the market, just the media rumours is all, and its only been 1 or 2 of them tbf.

We dont need big names to push on, just some decent players with some steel and a winning mindset to pick the rest of the team up when their heads drop.

As long as we sort the defence out and add a striker, we'll be fine. Cesc isnt going anywhere and fuck knows what the lesbo is doing.

Wait until July 1st when the window fully opens before moaning that nothing is happening. Ill be just as pissed off as everyone else if nothing happens, but that wont be the case this summer.

And as for Utd, are some of you really shitting your pants because they have bought Phil Jones and Ashley Young for a combined £40-45m?!?

:lol:

Özim
22-06-2011, 10:18 PM

I dont see all this activity from every other PL club in the market, just the media rumours is all, and its only been 1 or 2 of them tbf.

We dont need big names to push on, just some decent players with some steel and a winning mindset to pick the rest of the team up when their heads drop.

As long as we sort the defence out and add a striker, we'll be fine. Cesc isnt going anywhere and fuck knows what the lesbo is doing.

Wait until July 1st when the window fully opens before moaning that nothing is happening. Ill be just as pissed off as everyone else if nothing happens, but that wont be the case this summer.

And as for Utd, are some of you really shitting your pants because they have bought Phil Jones and Ashley Young for a combined £40-45m?!?

Well they won the title last season and got to the CL final.

As for Ashley Young, I rate him highly, whenever Villa played well he was more often than not the key....his pace and crossing can be devastating Man U needed a winger like him.

Letters
22-06-2011, 10:19 PM

No.

NO!

It's NEVER to early to make up stuff and then moan about it.

Are you new here? (tm)

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2011, 10:20 PM
So much for not being able to wait until the season is over with...

Boss
22-06-2011, 10:23 PM
People are complaining because ManU have added to an already strong team (IMO the weakest title winning team in years but they still proved themselves stronger than everyone else in the division) while we act like a League One club and have signed (and been linked with) garbage so far. Nothing wrong with that.

There's a reason Wenger's never won back-to-back titles.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Martin Keown's own goal.

:(

Marc Overmars
22-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Martin Keown's own goal.

:(

:banghead:

KSE Comedy Club
22-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Well they won the title last season and got to the CL final.

As for Ashley Young, I rate him highly, whenever Villa played well he was more often than not the key....his pace and crossing can be devastating Man U needed a winger like him.

Well I dont think young is that good tbh. So there's the rub.

Özim
22-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I guess we'll see next season, I reckon you'll be seeing a much more potent Man U with him in the team next season...in my mind they're already a lot stronger.

GP
22-06-2011, 10:28 PM

He's not. Feo is far better.

KSE Comedy Club
22-06-2011, 10:31 PM
People are complaining because ManU have added to an already strong team (IMO the weakest title winning team in years but they still proved themselves stronger than everyone else in the division) while we act like a League One club and have signed (and been linked with) garbage so far. Nothing wrong with that.

Ok, so who is the 'garbage' weve been linked with?

People wanted PL experience, were linked with Samba and Cahill - must be utter shite.

Gervinho, rated highly but dont know much about him, Liverpool, spurs and Citeh all want him too - must be utter shite.

Alex OC, young lad, highly sought after by, chavs, utd, citeh, pool, spurs - must be utter shite.

etc.

So who should we be signing/linked with then?

Xhaka Can’t
22-06-2011, 10:33 PM

People wanted PL experience, were linked with Samba and Cahill - must be utter shite.

Gervinho, rated highly but dont know much about him, Liverpool, spurs and Citeh all want him too - must be utter shite.

Alex OC, young lad, highly sought after by, chavs, utd, citeh, pool, spurs - must be utter shite.

etc.

So who should we be signing then?

A new Manager for starters.

GP
22-06-2011, 10:33 PM

etc.

So who should we be signing then?

Someone well known, establised, like Downing.

lol

Darth Vela
22-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I guess we'll see next season, I reckon you'll be seeing a much more potent Man U with him in the team next season...in my mind they're already a lot stronger.

Yep, Young is actually a good signing for them if he knuckles down and puts a shift in, otherwise it's just like having two Nani's, which isn't bad so much as being a bit pointless; bottom line is though, they need creativity and he has it.

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Don't rate Young either but its the fact Man Utd are out there buying whilst we sit on our arses that annoys me. Man Utd are strengthening a league winning squad. We buy Charltons 5th choice full back. See the difference?

KSE Comedy Club
22-06-2011, 10:36 PM

:beer:

Özim
22-06-2011, 10:37 PM
That would be a step forward for sure.

KSE Comedy Club
22-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I see what your saying Ach, but just because they are doing things early, doesnt mean we arent going to do anything.

Bar Samba and Cahill, I bet most of our transfer dealings will be abroad, so we wont know anything until July onwards.

If wenger went out and spent £40m on 2 PL players, everyone on here would be pissed that we'd spent so much on so little.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Don't rate Young either but its the fact Man Utd are out there buying whilst we sit on our arses that annoys me. Man Utd are strengthening a league winning squad. We buy Charltons 5th choice full back. See the difference?

I agree with the frustration that United are strengthening a title winning squad, which is something we never did, but Jenkinson is obviously not going to be our only signing this summer, the whole transfer window is ahead of us. Whether we make the right signings is another debate but just because we haven't done any business yet doesn't mean we won't or aren't planning to.

Darth Vela
22-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I doubt that Jeebus, everyone would be too shocked to be pissed and if they were decent players I don't think anyone would argue too much.

Also, I quite like the signing of Jenkinson, he's 6'2" (or 6"2', never sure which) and an Arsenal fan which despite his lack of experience are two things that we need a little more of in the squad, height and commitment.

Cripps_orig
22-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I agree with the frustration that United are strengthening a title winning squad, which is something we never did, but Jenkinson is obviously not going to be our only signing this summer, the whole transfer window is ahead of us. Whether we make the right signings is another debate but just because we haven't done any business yet doesn't mean we won't or aren't planning to.

Oh we'll definitely buy more but it won't be what we need. It'll be at best average mid table type players such as Koscielny and we all saw what a shocker he was.

We need proven quality signings but I know we won't get them.

Japan Shaking All Over
23-06-2011, 02:18 AM

:gp:

thanks mate - can sleep easy now......things are going to happen, they have to and I believe Wenger knows this more than anyone......well at least more than all of the Arsenal fans worldwide put together.......better go back to counting sheep, can't sleep anymore

Letters
23-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Agree about Wenger resting on his laurels when we won the league. And from the past few years expectation levels are understandably low.
I do think it's a little early to start wetting our collective pants though when the transfer window is barely open let alone closed.
If we're in the same position come August then people will be rightly annoyed, I'll be one of them.

selassie
23-06-2011, 07:54 AM

etc.

So who should we be signing/linked with then?

Samba & Cahill are the only really credible players we've been linked with who I believe can upgrade our team.

The rest are pretty much projects, typical Arsene signings....the likes of Gervinho, Alvarez & Alex OC are talents but this team doesn't need talents it needs the finished product. We finished 4th for a reason, the team isn't strong enough period.

I'll wait, but I don't expect anything.

Flavs
23-06-2011, 08:00 AM

We seem to be standing still as usual while many of our rivals strengthen. We appear to be after players but there are problems as always with the fee, the wages and the fact they choose other clubs.

says who? The papers? You are a cleverer man than that Squelchy.

The window isnt even open until next friday, yes manyoo have sigend people good for them, we never announce anything until its done. Winger says he will make signing and he has what, 9 weeks to do it. jesus give him a chance.

Grebbo
23-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Let's be honest, Wenger should have been hounded out after last summer's utter shambles. We lined up with Almunia in goal because Wenger was too tight to spend £3m on Schwarzer and bought in a couple of shite defenders and no replacement for lazy Song.

Yet again we arrive at the transfer window needing a keeper, defenders and DM. Every bloody year we seem to need to buy the spine of the team and never do!!!!

Japan Shaking All Over
23-06-2011, 08:36 AM
beginning to think the same myself......got all worked up by the rush of names and then calm after the storm puts things into reality, that these kind of things don't get done at the bat of an eyelid. We do have a cautious manager and in some ways that is not an overly bad thing.

ManU have signed a couple so we may feel we are already playing catch up........which to be fair considering they are champions was indeed the case the same moment the final whistle blew a close to the season (or for some that whistle was blown around the turn of the year!!)

As has been said we don't announce things early......let ManU do it their way and us do it ours, to be fair there hasnt much much else going on. AW I believe knows the score and will be doing his best.......just that we are going to have to wait

Flavs
23-06-2011, 08:37 AM
*enters rant mode.

Some of you guys make me fucking sick by the way, you moan we dont buy anyone but then wont wait for the window to open for us to sign anyone, when we do sign someone you will undoubtedly moan they are shit and its all a joke and so on before they have even kicked a ball in the shirt. We could sign Messi and you would still fuckin moan Wenger isnt changing his ways. Any player we bring in you have already decided you wont like because you dont like/want this manager and therefore will empart all hatred of him onto anything he does.

I genuinely wonder what you will do if Wenger pulls one out of his rather dusty magic hat, would you swallow your pride and admit he had done well? No of course not you will claim someone else within the club engineered as Wenger can no longer do any right at all.

Seriously if something brings you that much misery and despair why entertain it? You wouldnt keep watching a film or a stageshow that made you angry and drove you to the depths of depression like you claim watching this team does. I mean i hate swimming for instance, it makes me feel icky and wierd, so you know what i do? I keep my hairy arse out the pool.

I think 3 titles, 4 FA cups, a solid financial base and the best stadium in britain could buy the man who gave us the invincibles 9 weeks to buy some players for fucks sake.

*and breathe

Grebbo
23-06-2011, 08:38 AM
If ever you needed proof that Wenger has lost his drive then it was last year's transfer window. It was nothing short of a disgrace.

Boss
23-06-2011, 08:42 AM

The window isnt even open until next friday, yes manyoo have sigend people good for them, we never announce anything until its done. Winger says he will make signing and he has what, 9 weeks to do it. jesus give him a chance.

We've seen the same situation (almost) every year for the last five years so it's understandable that fans are skeptical that Wenger will hold true to his word, given that he hasn't numerous times before.

Remember him saying he would sign two 'world class' ready players after Vieira left? That we would add to the squad 'only if' there was a player that would improve us? That we'd buy a defender if Squillaci/Djourou were injured? He's lied many times in the past.

Our end of season collapse is an annual happening and steps haven't been made to fix it over the last 5 years. Apart from the Arshavin transfer window and the Adebayor-Walcott-Diaby transfer window (coincidentally both times we were in danger of slipping out of the CL, which is why questions about what the board really want are often brought up), we've weakened ourselves in every transfer window over the last 5 years.

Nothing will change until Wenger leaves as he simply doesn't have it in him to win a top trophy anymore (and apparently not even a lesser trophy, even one as worthless as the Carling Cup).

Özim
23-06-2011, 08:49 AM

He's had his chance, 6 years of chances in fact.

Letters
23-06-2011, 08:53 AM
We've seen the same situation (almost) every year for the last five years so it's understandable that fans are skeptical that Wenger will hold true to his word, given that he hasn't numerous times before.

Yes, that is understandable.
What isn't undestandable is people posting as though the transfer window is shut and Wenger's done nothing again.
If that happens then I'll be the first to criticize his inaction but given that the transfer window isn't even open much less shut I'll reserve judgement till it is. I know this thread is about how people are feeling now and a worry that he won't do enough is understandable and reasonable. Some of the comments on here go far beyond that though.

Özim
23-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Let's be honest, Wenger should have been hounded out after last summer's utter shambles. We lined up with Almunia in goal because Wenger was too tight to spend £3m on Schwarzer and bought in a couple of shite defenders and no replacement for lazy Song.

Yet again we arrive at the transfer window needing a keeper, defenders and DM. Every bloody year we seem to need to buy the spine of the team and never do!!!!
Pretty much, it's always one more chance with him....I've heard that for years now...simply don't believe in him and I'm not going to fall for the same cr*p again.

Özim
23-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes, that is understandable.
What isn't undestandable is people posting as though the transfer window is shut and Wenger's done nothing again.
If that happens then I'll be the first to criticize his inaction but given that the transfer window isn't even open much less shut I'll reserve judgement till it is. I know this thread is about how people are feeling now and a worry that he won't do enough is understandable and reasonable. Some of the comments on here go far beyond that though.
In reality, he shouldn't even be here anymore, he's lucky he still is. That doesn't change the fact noone trusts him and the players that we've shown interest in (the ones other clubs have confirmed) have on the whole been nothing to rid home about.

Letters
23-06-2011, 09:06 AM
In reality, he shouldn't even be here anymore, he's lucky he still is. That doesn't change the fact noone trusts him and the players that we've shown interest in (the ones other clubs have confirmed) have on the whole been nothing to rid home about.

He's not lucky to still be here, he built up a lot of good will by tranforming us from a decent but not exceptional side to bring us the most successful period in our club's history (possibly the 30's aside but let's agree within living memory). That said, I agree the good will has run out now and scary as I find it I think it might be time to look elsewhere. But given that we're not going to I might as well get behind him and the club and at least wait and see what happens in the transfer window before commenting rather than making up stuff and whining about it ahead of time.

KSE Comedy Club
23-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Ok so what players should do you think we should be looking at?

You dont think much of who weve been linked with, so who should we get?

Özim
23-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok so what players should do you think we should be looking at?

You dont think much of who weve been linked with, so who should we get?
Strikers, players like Benzema (I'd love Aguero here), Falcoa who we know can score goals

Defence, don't mind Samba, Sakho, Ciani, Van der Wiel, Subotic, Chiellini

Midfield, Fellaini, Hazard, M Diarra, Toulalan, Gourcuff

Flavs
23-06-2011, 09:45 AM
M Diarra

he is a free agent you know? Cancelled his contract with Monaco after they were relegated

Özim
23-06-2011, 09:47 AM
he is a free agent you know? Cancelled his contract with Monaco after they were relegated
Quality player, a leader and a rock in midfield...definitely worth a punt.

Letters
23-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Strikers, players like Benzema (I'd love Aguero here), Falcoa who we know can score goals

Defence, don't mind Samba, Sakho, Ciani, Van der Wiel, Subotic, Chiellini

Midfield, Fellaini, Hazard, M Diarra, Toulalan, Gourcuff

See, I don't actually think there's a whole lot wrong with our squad although we could do with cutting some deadwood (I'm looking at you, Denilson) and reinforcements are always welcome. IMO the big thing which stops us winning trophies is a mental fragility and a lack of organisation (not neccessarily ability) in defence. I honestly think our defence in the hands of a good defensive coach could be more than good enough. As for the mental toughness...that's harder but a good, strong captain would help. Cesc is a great player but not a great captain. I still think Wilshere, young as he is, could do a job.

KSE Comedy Club
23-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you have to seperate this summers window with all other in the last 6 years.

The reason for that is that things are different this year. There is a completely different feel towards the team and wenger from the fans. Most have been supportive and fairly quiet with any criticism of the club over the previous 5 years out of respect for wenger's project.

However, come season 6 and we fail spectacularly again, the fans have had enough. Many are shouting things out at games, Comments directed at the team and wenger, Season ticket holders are suddenly not renewing, fans are getting angry and have lost their patience - and rightly so.

Wenger, and the board do realise this Im sure, as ignorant and stubborn as they have seemed these last few years, with Kronke now on board they can no longer be completely shut off from reality.

We have already heard a different tone at the AST meeting. Not once that I can recall in the last 6 years has anyone ever come out and said 'you will see a turnover of the playing staff, we will be busy this transfer window' or 'we are behind wenger 100%, but ultimately, its the fans who decide if he still has a job or not'.

Usually, we get the same old tired lines and excuses, but there didnt seem to be any of that this year. They know that their bread and butter is pissed off, and they now have to do something to rectify that.

Ive been there with some of you, pissed off and fed up with the whole thing, seeing the same old shite. Hell, my old thread was basically saying how disillusioned and depressed I was with football after the collapse again.

But after hearing what Gazidis had to say, I feel a little more upbeat, and Im looking forward to seeing some new faces in the team and some tired, shite ones going. Hopefully a more experienced and mentally stronger team challenging for trophies until the last game of the season, and maybe even winning something.

At the end of the day, the window isnt fully open yet, and its unfair to piss and moan that we havent done anything just becasue there is nothing concrete out the2e yet.

Özim
23-06-2011, 09:57 AM
See, I don't actually think there%s a whole lot wrong with our sqUad although we could do with cutting some deadwood (I'm looking at you, Denilson) and reinforcements are always!welcome, IMO the big thing which stops us winning trophies is a mental fragility and a lack of organisation (not neccessarily ability) in defenge. I honestly think our defence in the hands of a good defensive coach could be`more thAn good enough. As for the mental toughness...that's harder but c good, strong c`ptain would help. Cesc ys a great player but not a great captain. I still think Wilshere, young as he is, coulddo a job.
Personally I think we need a few leaders and a bit more bit in our team, I'd!also like to see more pace and someone up front who can(help RVP with goals.

I agree good coaching will help a lot, but we lack leader

IBK
23-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Back to the origingl question, as I've said on the other thread, I'm feeli.g pretty ambivalent about transfers - because although M think the club`could d/ with a marquee signing to lift!belief at the club and Amongst the playErs the manager is too cautious/idealistic, and the board too pragmatic, businesw-wise for this too happen.

I have no crystal ball, and yes the transfer window hasn't opened yet but honestly, how likely is it that Wenger is going to change the habits of a lifetime? He wmll be mnre active than usual -

Özim
23-06-2011, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Save me Jeebuw!;12155]I think you have to seperate this summers window with all other in the last 6 years.

The reason for that is that things are different this year. There is a completely different feel towards the team and wenger from the fans. Most have be%n supportive and fairly quiet with any criticism of the club over the previous 5 years out of respect for wenger's project.

Hnwever, come season 6 and we fail spectacularly again, the fans have had enough. Many are shouting things out at games, Comments directed at the team and wenger, Season ticket holders are suddenly not renewing, fans are getting angry and have lost their patience - and rightly so.J
Wenger, and the board do realise this Im sure, as ignorant and stubborn as they have seemed these last few years, with Kronke now on board they can no longer$be completely shut off from reality.

We have already heard a different tone at the AST meeting. Not once thap I can recall in the last 6 years has anyone ever come out and said 'you will see a turnover of the playing staff, we will be busy this transfer window' or 'we are behind wenger 100%, but ultimately, its the fans ho decide if he still has a job or not'.

Usually, we get the same old tired lines and excuses, buv there didnt seem to be any of that this year. They know that their bread and butter is"pissed off, and they now have tk do something tO rectify that.

Ive been there

Japan Shaking All Over
23-06-2011, 10:08 AM
All good players, I agree, but its a fantasy list.
I bet most of those players have long term contracts and are more than happy playing at the clubs they are at. Just because we may want them at Arsenal, doesnt mean that they want to be here.

:crying:but Daddy you promised, you said I could have anything I wanted:crying:

from the list Samba is a poss and Fellaini a dream on

Özim
23-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Since when are players like Samba, Sakho, Ciani, Van der Wiel, M Diarra, Toulalan fantasy players?

If they Wenger must have turned us into a nothing club. We should be able to sign all of those to be honest.

The rest may be more difficult other than Subotic maybe. All those mickey mouse signings he's made have clearly lowered expectations on what we should be able to attract.

KSE Comedy Club
23-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Ill answer both.

I think he is trying to address the defence issue with PL experience, rumours point to that so far, so I will reserve judgemnet for now. We still need a top striker, Im not sure if that will happen though, and I agree about Gervinho, but Im willing to see what he can do.

Its a fantasy list, because those players might not want to come to us. It dosent matter if we bid more money for them, they could still tell us thanks but no thanks if they arent interested. Ok, wenger may not be interested in those players but we can only speculate about that.

Darth Vela
23-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I think that you are missing the disconect between fans' expectations and the manager's way of doing things. The board still have faith in the manager and will back his decisions. But AW's ideas of the signings we need and those of the fans are very different. We will see new faces, and perhaps a few more new first teamers than usual. But I do not think we are going to see a revolutionary difference in this transfer window compared to the last 6.

I don't think we need a revolutionary difference, I think we might pay a little more but Wenger isn't stupid and if the players we need will cost a little more he'll go for it as it's make or break time but I don't see us spunking 80m on two or three players.

Darth Vela
23-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Since when are players like Samba, Sakho, Ciani, Van der Wiel, M Diarra, Toulalan fantasy players?

If they Wenger must have turned us into a nothing club. We should be able to sign all of those to be honest.

The rest may be more difficult other than Subotic maybe. All those mickey mouse signings he's made have clearly lowered expectations on what we should be able to attract.

I dunno, they all seemed reasonable to me, especially the fact that there's a few French youngsters and nobodies there it makes me think there's a few possibilites there.

Elche
23-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Thought so.

Outside of GW there are a lot of well informed people. I'm linked on Twitter to Gooners and other fans that through inside information or dialog with more trusted Pundits or Journo...that have got it right on so many breaking stories this summer regarding transfer activity.

In fact it's quite incredible the information you get as opposed for waiting for Sky or reading the Sun.

So my info comes from people in the know, that have been correct about many things this summer.

Add the experience factor...and hey presto Rocket Science is not needed. The way we get information has changed forever, the information ismore fluid, more reliable and just faster now.

So you can be sceptical...no problem. But using the different mediums available, and learning who to trust...we can paint a pretty clear picture of whats happening.

Clichy.

We all seem to agree that he's leaving...we all know Liverpool are a possibility but want him cheap, Roma could offer more. But the story that broke about PSG offering 10 million that we see today was fluid on line for 4 days. The story comes from different sources of different credibilities.

So because of my conversations, dealings and understanding. I am sure this is true.

KSE Comedy Club
23-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Outside of GW there are a lot of well informed people. I'm linked on Twitter to Gooners and other fans that through inside information or dialog with more trusted Pundits or Journo...that have got it right on so many breaking stories this summer regarding transfer activity.

In fact it's quite incredible the information you get as opposed for waiting for Sky or reading the Sun.

So my info comes from people in the know, that have been correct about many things this summer.

Add the experience factor...and hey presto Rocket Science is not needed. The way we get information has changed forever, the information ismore fluid, more reliable and just faster now.

So you can be sceptical...no problem. But using the different mediums available, and learning who to trust...we can paint a pretty clear picture of whats happening.

Clichy.

We all seem to agree that he's leaving...we all know Liverpool are a possibility but want him cheap, Roma could offer more. But the story that broke about PSG offering 10 million that we see today was fluid on line for 4 days. The story comes from different sources of different credibilities.

So because of my conversations, dealings and understanding. I am sure this is true.

Ok, so what have you heard about what we are doing this summer?

Elche
23-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I think guess is the key word there.
I see lots of people on this thread expressing frustration but I've not seen anyone yet say who it is we were after and have failed to get or what the problem with wages or fee was (as Elche claims, but doesn't back up).

If y'all want to get frustrated about things when you've no idea what's going on then go nuts. I'll wait till the end of the transfer window and see what's happened then. Or at least until I've heard some far more solid statements about who we may be after.

The WBA guy Obdemwinge...has said that not only Arsenal have bid but he didn't like the wage offer. Sources today and two local TV guys in the Midlands have discovered the price offered was 4 million, this came from a WBA Director. Matt Lawson of the Express has now talked to the player who said to him yesterday that the wages could be OK but Arsenal and WBA cant agree a fee.

All this info from many sources of varying levels, is just too much to ignore...this is the type of info around on Samba and Gervinho...there is not this info for example on Cahill therefore I don't know what is true or not.

We cannot stick our heads in the sand and not believe the difficulties because the info is from too many varying sources...the evidence comes from the fact that other transfers have been proved correct by this method.

Elche
23-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, so what have you heard about what we are doing this summer?

From how I tune into to the information.

Samba, Gervinho and Obdenwinge are real negociations.

Cahill is a rumour as is Jagielka at present.

Clichy has 3 firm bids from Liverpool, Roma and PSG.
Bendtner has no firm bids.

Cesc and Nasri as what we all know.

Other than that the rest is quiet

IBK
23-06-2011, 11:00 AM
From how I tune into to the information.

Samba, Gervinho and Obdenwinge are real negociations.

Cahill is a rumour as is Jagielka at present.

Clichy has 3 firm bids from Liverpool, Roma and PSG.
Bendtner has no firm bids.

Cesc and Nasri as what we all know.

Other than that the rest is quiet

:good:

And this would confirm what we all know deep down about where we are as a club. A second tier club with second tier transfer aspirations. This is not a criticism, its reality. With some experience brought in, it may be that the manager can rediscover his alchemy and win a trophy next season - but it has been proven empirically that investment correlates directly to success. And if we are unable to invest to match the competition, then the result is most likely to be failure as regards trophies.

selassie
23-06-2011, 11:00 AM
*enters rant mode.

Some of you guys make me fucking sick by the way, you moan we dont buy anyone but then wont wait for the window to open for us to sign anyone, when we do sign someone you will undoubtedly moan they are shit and its all a joke and so on before they have even kicked a ball in the shirt. We could sign Messi and you would still fuckin moan Wenger isnt changing his ways. Any player we bring in you have already decided you wont like because you dont like/want this manager and therefore will empart all hatred of him onto anything he does.

I genuinely wonder what you will do if Wenger pulls one out of his rather dusty magic hat, would you swallow your pride and admit he had done well? No of course not you will claim someone else within the club engineered as Wenger can no longer do any right at all.

Seriously if something brings you that much misery and despair why entertain it? You wouldnt keep watching a film or a stageshow that made you angry and drove you to the depths of depression like you claim watching this team does. I mean i hate swimming for instance, it makes me feel icky and wierd, so you know what i do? I keep my hairy arse out the pool.

I think 3 titles, 4 FA cups, a solid financial base and the best stadium in britain could buy the man who gave us the invincibles 9 weeks to buy some players for fucks sake.

*and breathe

Flavs...I can't speak for everyone but I'm personally done with Wenger.

I've nothing personal against him, it's not hatred, I respect him for what he's done in the past but for now he's lost my trust, I don't think he has it in him to change things.

Look I'll happily swallow my pride and be the first one to put my hands up and say I'm wrong if he makes respectable moves in the market but I really don't think he will. 5 years of this is just too much, it's like watching your Wife or Girlfriend repeatedly cheat on you but her tell you she won't do it again.

It's not even about him not buying players. He needs to buy the right ones, we need players that can upgrade the team now not in 2 or 3 seasons time.

He's also got a job trying to convince a quarter of the current First Choice team to stay, he has a lot of work to do this summer and he has to get it right.

Flavs
23-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Clichy.

mate there are 5 people who know what is going on at Arsenal, Wenger, Gazidis, player we are buying, his agent and his club rep. And thats it. With respect to all the online info and i appreciate how much of it is out there, we are a quiet, sneaky club who doesnt discuss transfer dealings with the press until we are done.

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Its not about buying players. Its about buying the players we need. Any Tom, Dick or Twitch can buy players but getting what we need is a whole different ball game.

Wenger had an absolute shocking summer last year and he should have gone then. That shocking summer led to what was certainly the most humiliating season in my 20 odd years as a fan and he should have gone at the end of the season.

He hasn't. He's still here and quite frankly its the same old shit yet again. He doesn't deserve our patience anymore. Be prepared for another shit season guys. One that I think seriously threatens our top 4 status and if that happens, I can't see us getting back in for some time

Flavs
23-06-2011, 11:18 AM
That shocking summer led to what was certainly the most humiliating season in my 20 odd years as a fan and he should have gone at the end of the season.

:haha:

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 11:27 AM
challenging for the league, being in a cup final and beating the only team to beat barca in the CL is your idea of humiliation?

You don't know you're born

IBK
23-06-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Punchinello Beezo http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=12131#post12131)
*enters rant mode.

*and breathe

Flavs...I can't speak for everyone but I'm personally done with Wenger.

I've nothing personal against him, it's not hatred, I respect him for what he's done in the past but for now he's lost my trust, I don't think he has it in him to change things.

Look I'll happily swallow my pride and be the first one to put my hands up and say I'm wrong if he makes respectable moves in the market but I really don't think he will. 5 years of this is just too much, it's like watching your Wife or Girlfriend repeatedly cheat on you but her tell you she won't do it again.

It's not even about him not buying players. He needs to buy the right ones, we need players that can upgrade the team now not in 2 or 3 seasons time.

He's also got a job trying to convince a quarter of the current First Choice team to stay, he has a lot of work to do this summer and he has to get it right.

@ Flavs

First I think you have to separate the moaners from the realists. I consider myself to be the latter. I have got over my horror at our end of season implosion - and am merely appraising our situation objectively. There is no doubt whatsoever that in terms of a destination club, in terms of the likelihood of us winning the league, we have dropped out of the very top tier in English football. Last season was, frankly, our last chance to show that we, as a club that last won the league 7 years ago could claim still to have what it takes to be regarded in that top tier, and we blew it. Spectacularly.

Now, even the most optimistic Gooner would admit that it would be a big surprise if the manager wins a major trophy next season. It would be a very nice surprise, but a surprise nevertheless.

Our position has a great deal to do with the unlimited funds available to the Chavs and Citeh - that affect us both directly in terms of competition for league points, but also in terms of our ability to compete for the best players in the transfer window. Its sad for us. But there it is. No drama.

Turning to the manager, it is quite correct to attack those who are treating him with such disrespect. As Darth Vela says elsewhere, we would do well to remember that the focus of fans' ire also happens to be the reason why we have remained a 'top 4' if not a 'big 4' club for all these years. He is the reason why our club is on the TV every other week - reason enough to be grateful, IMHO.

But I do not think that Gooners who now believe his time is up should be criticised. Unfortunately, managers will always be judged on the present, not the past. And we all know that at any other big club he would have gone some time ago. He has been rewarded with patience for his unparalleled success with us, and he has made few friends with his failure to address what appear to be very basic failings in the team.

We know he will be buying players this Summer. We know that they will be decent players. The scepticism exists because of past experience. People might be impatient, but it is not as wholly unjustified as you suggest.

IBK
23-06-2011, 11:35 AM
challenging for the league, being in a cup final and beating the only team to beat barca in the CL is your idea of humiliation?

As always two extremes. Our captiulation in 4 comps in 5 weeks - and the manner in which this happened was humiliating. And if individual matches such as the CC final; the away game at Newcastle and the home game against Spurs cannot be described as humiliating, then I struggle for an alternative word.

In the context of how difficult it it to achieve, finishing 4th in the league is no disgrace. But for all the (limited) highs of last season we ultimately underperformed when it counted.

Flavs
23-06-2011, 11:35 AM
@ Flavs

First I think you have to separate the moaners from the realists.

I have the moaners are all on my ignore list, the realists or at least the more reasoned among them arent :good:

Olivier's xmas twist
23-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Why can't we go for a player and just get the deal done...So much dithering or waiting for other clubs to do their business.

Some might say...Hey you don't know what's going on...Well in this World today we know a hell of a lot. We know that Gervinho has been in talks because his club said so, we know Samba has been in talks because his Coach has said he wants to join...and so on.

But this feels like most Summers...it will fly by and we'll hope that deals are done later. Leaving no time to prepare.

Anyway just venting...and this is the general opinion on line. With Twitter and Facebook you have incredible access to large quantities on fans.

Finally you have the business of Cesc, Nasri, Clichy and Bendtner...what happens to them...we should be strengthening, if we lose any of them...we'll replace but it won't strengthen...For me it's the same old BS.

None of knows whats going on, thats why people are upset. People forget we are only in june and have time to do deals.

who cares if the mancs and the pool have deals done.

no one has signed major players have they. im sure we will have our deals done soon, you feel its being hinghed on fab and samir going to who we bring in or let go.

i say watch this space, if it comes to last week in july and nothing is done then il be worried lol

AKBapologist
23-06-2011, 12:11 PM
The bare minimum for me this summer...
New EPL centerback
Experienced replacement for Clichy
Alverez replacement for rosicky
Gervinho replacement for bendtner
Top tier striker as good as RVP or better
A winger if Nasri leaves

If we can't accomplish the above by the time CL qualifications begin then this transfer window would have been unnsucessfull and potentially leaves us weaker relative to the competition.

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 12:13 PM
As always two extremes. Our captiulation in 4 comps in 5 weeks - and the manner in which this happened was humiliating. And if individual matches such as the CC final; the away game at Newcastle and the home game against Spurs cannot be described as humiliating, then I struggle for an alternative word.

In the context of how difficult it it to achieve, finishing 4th in the league is no disgrace. But for all the (limited) highs of last season we ultimately underperformed when it counted.

yeah we did but even the lowest lows of last season dont get anywhere near 'humiliation.' Outside of a narrow internet using / never been to a match / only started following footy in the 90s fraternity moaning like this gets laughed at.

And rightly so.

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Being humiliated in every competiton last season is my idea of humiliation

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 12:18 PM
we werent humiliated in the carling cup. We threw it away ourselves.
Ditto the league.
We left the CL with our heads held high.
EVen losing to united in the FA cup we created more in one match than any other visiting team in recent times.

No humliation is what leeds have gone through over the past few years, or liverpool. Having to put up withj snide remarks from 'big four' fans and the hatred of GHELs everywhere doesnt even come close - and just confirms how spoiled arsenal fans have become.

AKBapologist
23-06-2011, 12:19 PM
It was the most humiliating season of AW reign to be fair. Medias never bemoaned harder, united fans have never gloated harder, and I have never felt so unoptimistic since he arrived.

Xhaka Can’t
23-06-2011, 12:21 PM

In a last four of a second rate Cup competition that included a Championship Club and two teams relegated to the Championship and ending up with nothing.

An anaemic performance to get knocked out of the FA Cup. - following a replays against Leeds, Leyton Orient and barely hanging on at Home to Huddersfield.

Collapsing from top of the easiest CL Group in living memory to be drawn against Barcelona.

Challenging for the league until the point of our annual collapse - despite having no other distractions as a result of the above. Rather than pushing on when in a position where winning the League was within our control to being over taken by two teams who were between 8 and 11 points behind us. And while doing this, managing to fall victim to the biggest ever comeback in Premiership history.

The constant talk of fighting to the end only to go out with the biggest wimper anyone can remember.

Yeah, nothing embarrassing about that at all.

AKBapologist
23-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Throwing cups away in comedic fashion instead of being out played is more humiliating. Not sure who'd normally agree otherwise.

Flavs
23-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Being humiliated in every competiton last season is my idea of humiliation

and yet we still finished 4th, Wenger is doing his job then really

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 12:22 PM
The only anomaly left is that supporting arsenal is so expensive. ITs a bit like Shawn Wright Phillips. Just cos cheslea paid 25mill or whatever it doesnt change the fact that he is only a 10mill player and shold only ever be throught of as a 10 millplayer. His dad admitted as much.

Likewise Arsenal are really just a mid table team who have consistently punched above their weight in recent-ish times. The only thing that now fails to add up is that they charge title/CL winning prices. If our prices and expectations were lower, nobody would have a right to complain about anything

AKBapologist
23-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone else still remember the "if I wad offered 2nd place for 20 years" remark? You don't get second place by aiming for second, you get there by competing for first, as evidence this season.

If AW doesn't get how silly that remark was, he should fuck off right now.

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:26 PM
we werent humiliated in the carling cup. We threw it away ourselves.
Ditto the league.
We left the CL with our heads held high.
EVen losing to united in the FA cup we created more in one match than any other visiting team in recent times.

No humliation is what leeds have gone through over the past few years, or liverpool. Having to put up withj snide remarks from 'big four' fans and the hatred of GHELs everywhere doesnt even come close
Carling Cup - We failed to win it despite being in the semi finals that consisted of 2 teams that got relegated and a shite ass Championship club. Then the way we lost the final was pretty humiliating itself.

League - From 2nd to 4th, 2 wins in 11 games at the end of the season when we were handily placed for a title run in. Home losses to shite teams like Newcastle and WBA, Losing away to Bolton, a team who had just lost a Cup semi final 5-0 and were in awful form, letting leads slip in both NLDs and the worst of the lot, the 4 goal lead we lost in 20 minutes.

FA Cup - struggled to beat Leeds, Huddersfield and Leyton Orient having needed replays for 2 of those and being outplayed in the other but just holding on. And then losing to a Man utd team that consisted of 8 defenders and the other 3 were a shite player in Gibson, a young Mexican and an off form Rooney.

CL - Not winning the easiest CL group of all time meaning we had to face Barca instead of Roma as Shakthar did. And then not having a shot at all v Barca at their ground which made a mockery of our "attacking" game.

So yeah id say pretty humilating

AKBapologist
23-06-2011, 12:26 PM
The only anomaly left is that supporting arsenal is so expensive. ITs a bit like Shawn Wright Phillips. Just cos cheslea paid 25mill or whatever it doesnt change the fact that he is only a 10mill player and shold only ever be throught of as a 10 millplayer. His dad admitted as much.

Likewise Arsenal are really just a mid table team who have consistently punched above their weight in recent-ish times. The only thing that now fails to add up is that they charge title/CL winning prices. If our prices and expectations were lower, nobody would have a right to complain about anything

and yet instead of lowering prices and expectations, they raise them. Who's really to blame?

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Anyone else still remember the "if I wad offered 2nd place for 20 years" remark? You don't get second place by aiming for second, you get there by competing for first, as evidence this season.

If AW doesn't get how silly that remark was, he should fuck off right now.
Even if he does get how silly it was, he should still fuck off :good:

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 12:28 PM
In a last four of a second rate Cup competition that included a Championship Club and two teams relegated to the Championship and ending up with nothing.

An anaemic performance to get knocked out of the FA Cup. - following a replays against Leeds, Leyton Orient and barely hanging on at Home to Huddersfield.

Collapsing from top of the easiest CL Group in living memory to be drawn against Barcelona.

Challenging for the league until the point of our annual collapse - despite having no other distractions as a result of the above. Rather than pushing on when in a position where winning the League was within our control to being over taken by two teams who were between 8 and 11 points behind us. And while doing this, managing to fall victim to the biggest ever comeback in Premiership history.

The constant talk of fighting to the end only to go out with the biggest wimper anyone can remember.

Yeah, nothing embarrassing about that at all.

Its very embarassing - when johnny come lately chelsea fans from thailand or surrey based mockey mancs give it the bigg'n. Or the scum want appy arry to get a knighthood for managing one CL QF with a lucky draw.
However, if you step back and look at what we achieve in a shit season the fact that we are upset at all about
4th place,
a cup final
slightly below par premiership points tally
guarnateed CL football
guarnateed relegation worry free football

-shows how much arsenal fans take for granted these days.

tell you what dont take my word for it. try that kind of rant in front of a few leeds fans. See what happens :)

Cripps_orig
23-06-2011, 12:28 PM
and yet we still finished 4th, Wenger is doing his job then really

Making money for the board to put in to their pockets?

He sure is

Alan B'stard
23-06-2011, 12:30 PM

He sure is

Very astute for once.

Flavs
23-06-2011, 12:41 PM

He sure is

yep, and gaining us the income from chumps league qualification to pay off the stadium early.

selassie
23-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Its very embarassing - when johnny come lately chelsea fans from thailand or surrey based mockey mancs give it the bigg'n. Or the scum want appy arry to get a knighthood for managing one CL QF with a lucky draw.
However, if you step back and look at what we achieve in a shit season the fact that we are upset at all about
4th place,
a cup final
slightly below par premiership points tally
guarnateed CL football
guarnateed relegation worry free football

-shows how much arsenal fans take for granted these days.

tell you what dont take my word for it. try that kind of rant in front of a few leeds fans. See what happens :)

I dunno...when problems are there for all to see and for whatever reason the Manager doesn't adequately rectify them, frustrations grow over a period of time.

This team with Arsene in charge is capable of more, this team with a bit of PROPER investment in the right places could be capable of winning major trophies.

Arsene built up the expectations through building brilliant teams in the past and maintaining our status as one of the leading clubs in England and Europe. Now is the time for him to deliver or at least improve the team in the areas it needs improving, we were use to success in the past and seeing the team improve, why should that change now?

Arsene has the tools, and should deliver the improvements by any means necessary excluding bankrupting the club.

What are we all waiting for?

Slacker
26-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Ting I don't understand is where the Mancs are getting all their cash from. They are allegedly in financial dire straits yet they're chucking it around like Citeh. Sounds like their management is taking a flyer because their best players are past their sell by date. Arsenal don't do that anymore and what good has it done?

I understand Arsenal being a bit cautious but you do wonder that perhaps with Dein, Fizman and Edelman no longer around and Hill-Wood wheeled into the cupboard where he can't say much, the new guys are shit scared of Wenger and a little wary of making a bold decision. Basically if Arsenal carry on under-investing it won't be long before we do a Liverpool and get panicked into bringing back has-beens and buying untried and expensive British players.

selassie
26-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Ting I don't understand is where the Mancs are getting all their cash from. They are allegedly in financial dire straits yet they're chucking it around like Citeh. Sounds like their management is taking a flyer because their best players are past their sell by date. Arsenal don't do that anymore and what good has it done?

I understand Arsenal being a bit cautious but you do wonder that perhaps with Dein, Fizman and Edelman no longer around and Hill-Wood wheeled into the cupboard where he can't say much, the new guys are shit scared of Wenger and a little wary of making a bold decision. Basically if Arsenal carry on under-investing it won't be long before we do a Liverpool and get panicked into bringing back has-beens and buying untried and expensive British players.

Well we can all be rest assured that won't happen with Arsene in charge, he won't buy from PL period.

Slacker
26-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Let's hope Heile mate.

Cahill might be a go'er but the thought of Jagielka brings me out in cold sweats. It'll be the shortarse shuffle all over again as the long ball / long throw is pumped into the mixer over our ridiculously short backline. Samba is a donkey who will need a quickie behind him. Do we really need to be carrying that kind of player? Sure Lucio and Samuel were both slow but they would have had serious problems in the EPL because they would not have had the respect they had in Italy.

Arsene, this is England. Surely after 15 years you might have started realising that sometimes a hoof or a punt or a long arrow throw needs to be defended in the same manner that it's presented. Shitkicker in and before it's in the net, shitkicker out, you effing donut. :trophy:

Alan B'stard
27-06-2011, 05:54 AM
I dunno...when problems are there for all to see and for whatever reason the Manager doesn't adequately rectify them, frustrations grow over a period of time.

This team with Arsene in charge is capable of more, this team with a bit of PROPER investment in the right places could be capable of winning major trophies.

Arsene built up the expectations through building brilliant teams in the past and maintaining our status as one of the leading clubs in England and Europe. Now is the time for him to deliver or at least improve the team in the areas it needs improving, we were use to success in the past and seeing the team improve, why should that change now?

Arsene has the tools, and should deliver the improvements by any means necessary excluding bankrupting the club.

What are we all waiting for?

youre approaching this from the standpoint that we are a football club first, and put trophies before profit. We havent been that for a long time. The idea is to put the minimum into the team that we can get away with, subject to the constraint of keeping bums on seats and CL money rolling in. Any spare resopurce we have earns a far greater return when ploughed into property development anyway so thats what we focus on these days.

selassie
27-06-2011, 08:31 AM
youre approaching this from the standpoint that we are a football club first, and put trophies before profit. We havent been that for a long time. The idea is to put the minimum into the team that we can get away with, subject to the constraint of keeping bums on seats and CL money rolling in. Any spare resopurce we have earns a far greater return when ploughed into property development anyway so thats what we focus on these days.

I know, I just want my Arsenal back, the football club that is. :sulk:

Alan B'stard
27-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Dream on mate.
McFootball at 1600* quid a season and thats your lot.

*Or whatever the average season ticket costs now

Joker
27-06-2011, 10:28 AM

This is hugely depressing but unfortunately true.

Alan B'stard
27-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I dont think there is much getting away from the fact that its now McFootball.
However the cronies who sat around refusing to invest and
-warring with each other
-refusing to put any cash in
-subverting the club's growth into their own capital gains
...are now no longer in control.

Instead AFC is in theory run by one man who has an interest in making sure his investment does well both on and off the field. Anyone who thinks this means we get the AFC of old back is naice. However you;'d think he'll be more dynamic and decisive than the previous regime. So I think there are grounds for cautious optimism, even if he isnt going to be an abramovich type figure.

whether we've lost the will to live by then is another matter.

Coney
27-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I dont think there is much getting away from the fact that its now McFootball.
However the cronies who sat around refusing to invest and
-warring with each other
-refusing to put any cash in
-subverting the club's growth into their own capital gains
...are now no longer in control.

Instead AFC is in theory run by one man who has an interest in making sure his investment does well both on and off the field. Anyone who thinks this means we get the AFC of old back is naice. However you;'d think he'll be more dynamic and decisive than the previous regime. So I think there are grounds for cautious optimism, even if he isnt going to be an abramovich type figure.

whether we've lost the will to live by then is another matter.

Agree about the cautious optimism - I think Kroenke, while doing a business investment, knows that the success of the investment is best made in the long term by getting results, which in turn generates even more income than the present status quo. For that reason and statements from Gazidis/Wenger over the past weeks, I am expecting a definite and visible change in how we handle the transfer market and target not just CL football but also silverware. You sell a lot more shirts in the Far East if you have some trophies to hold up in the advertising.

As far as 'Old AFC' is concerned, one thing that will never return - at least, while we have seating only stadiums - is the atmosphere you got with good crowds standing near the pitch. The atmosphere in the 1970s (when we were way less successful than under Wenger) was fantastic and I think standing on terraces and behind the goals was a major factor in that. 65,000 standing on a Wednesday evening for a big match was something special. And because there were cheaper fans entrance fees for the non-sitting people, the riff-raff could make a lot of noise and generate the atmosphere you should have at a match.

Alan B'stard
27-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Gazidis sayys he is open to exploring safe standing though how feasible it is when they didnt build an 'end' is debatable.
At the very least letting people swap seats so that those of us who want to make noise can congregate would be a step in the right direction.

For the rest we had a bunch of old fogeys sitting around, fearful to invest when nobody else does and just haning on while their shares go up. That bred infighting but no dynamism to take the club forward.

Even if Kronke is greedy, he has control and doesnt need to get through an old etonian comittee meeting when he wants to make sure the value of his asset and its naming / shirt rights goes up. In theory there is less standing in the way when he decides its time to bankroll a trophy or two.

I think we will still get squeezed for merchandising and we will still be slamming the soulless cameldome that is em*rates stadium but I do think more money will find its way into the squad in a 'speculate to acccumuatae' sense.

Toronto Gooner
27-06-2011, 12:42 PM
In theory there is less standing in the way when he decides its time to bankroll a trophy or two.
Equally, there is less in the way to prevent him from taking money out of the club (aka cash cow) to pay for some of his other business ventures.

While you and I may dislike/despise those old Etonians, the fact remains that those families (Hill Woods, Bracewell Smiths and Carrs) were involved with running Arsenal F.C. from the 1930s. They have shown a level of commitment to the club that should be acknowledged and, yes, celebrated.

Coney
27-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Equally, there is less in the way to prevent him from taking money out of the club (aka cash cow) to pay for some of his other business ventures.

While you and I may dislike/despise those old Etonians, the fact remains that those families (Hill Woods, Bracewell Smiths and Carrs) were involved with running Arsenal F.C. from the 1930s. They have shown a level of commitment to the club that should be acknowledged and, yes, celebrated.

Sure, but while they don't need to do what some of the clubs - manu, chavs, citeh, etc - have done, they still needed to make some amount of movement and they have failed in that area. Maybe the transfer market prices are not what they should be but we have to live in the real world and occasionally buy even if the price makes you wince. You can resist some of it but not everything.

Kano
27-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Interesting from LBS

http://twitter.com/#!/ninabracewell

Sirjackofwilshere
27-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Interesting from LBS

Yep, perhaps Kroenke will act to replace some on the board??

selassie
27-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Yep, perhaps Kroenke will act to replace some on the board??

Well it depends what happens on the Football field, if we miss out on Top 4 then the policy may change. Even if we don't, obviously Stan wants to see a return on his investment but right now it might be a case of "If it aint broke don't try and fix it", I'm not saying I agree with it but that's how I see Silent Stan's stance at the moment.

Alan B'stard
27-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Sure, but while they don't need to do what some of the clubs - manu, chavs, citeh, etc - have done, they still needed to make some amount of movement and they have failed in that area. Maybe the transfer market prices are not what they should be but we have to live in the real world and occasionally buy even if the price makes you wince. You can resist some of it but not everything.

this.
im not saying they did a bad job, just that they were past their sell by date some time ago

Boss
27-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Interesting from LBS

sure I was pushed. Who wants to leave a club that is so dear to one's heart. Hopefully I will be back. I do have a good relationship with SK. Fingers crossed.

She wants a seat back on the board 2 minutes after saying the rest of them have nothing to offer.

Will be interesting if she's put back on :lol:

Mr. Lahey
27-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Completely agree. 60,000 sold out stadium weekly, highest ticket prices in the prem, one of the highest profiting teams in the world says we are a big club. No reason why we could not afford the players in your original list or why they wouldnt want to come here.

The Wenger project is the only reason why we arent buying players like those. To reiterate what others have said, it will be usual Wenger business this transfer window. We'll see our best player leave and a few new faces will come in, however they wont be the quality we need. Talented, experienced players cost a little more money and we all know Wenger isnt the type to pay that little bit extra.

Grebbo
27-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Interesting from LBS

IIRC she inherited her shares from her dead husband. Doubt she did fuck all when she was a board member apart from get considerably richer.