PDA

View Full Version : Friday's press conference

Flavs
28-06-2011, 11:52 AM
ok i know we already have an expectations thread but i wonder what you are all expecting from the scheduled press conference with uncle Arsene on Friday?

Do you think we will have new player(s) with him there and then, do you think he will announce signings we have already made?

Do you think he will announce who will leave or who has already gone?

Do you think he will state that a change in tactics will be adopted to make us stronger at set pieces (he is bound to get asked)

Or do you expect the same old same old the thinly veiled misleading statements he has become the master at making?

Will be interesting to see if either Ivan or Stan is with him.

(I can pretty state who is going to say what but my eternal optimism shines through)

Marc Overmars
28-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I think he will probably state the players that will move on because they've already done so themselves, like Denilson and Bendtner.

Other than that I expect the usual Arsene stuff, keeping his cards close to his chest as always.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-06-2011, 12:06 PM
expect signings to be announced and cesc to be gone come end of the week

KSE Comedy Club
28-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I reckon he might try and sell the players in a live tv auction, could be a great business opportunity.

'First up, we have Denilson, great little brazillian, can pass a thousand times a game - sideways. Ve vill start the bidding at £6m, do I hear seven?, seven??, anyone??? ok what about £5m?'
'Oh, we have Sandro Rosell on the phone, he says we should pay them to take him because they are so poor and we are so weak, Im sure we can work something out........next item is Bendtner....'

Could be great fun.

LDG
28-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Really don't know :crying:

Hump
28-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Personally I'd like him to say:

"I am departing from the usual format today, roll VT."

Room darkens and we cut to the Sandra Rossell's private bog where a shady figure not unlike Arsene is seen to defecate in the cistern.

Cut to end credit...

" Fin?"

Arsene,: "I will only be taking questions about the type of film used, the editing software and the red meat I had been eating for three days before shooting the film."

LDG
28-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I reckon he might try and sell the players in a live tv auction, could be a great business opportunity.

'First up, we have Denilson, great little brazillian, can pass a thousand times a game - sideways. Ve vill start the bidding at £6m, do I hear seven?, seven??, anyone??? ok what about £5m?'
'Oh, we have Sandro Rosell on the phone, he says we should pay them to take him because they are so poor and we are so weak, Im sure we can work something out........next item is Bendtner....'

Could be great fun.

:lol:

LDG
28-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Personally I'd like him to say:

"I am departing from the usual format today, roll VT."

Room darkens and we cut to the Sandra Rossell's private bog where a shady figure not unlike Arsene is seen to defecate in the cistern.

Cut to end credit...

" Fin?"

Arsene,: "I will only be taking questions about the type of film used, the editing software and the red meat I had been eating for three days before shooting the film."

And again :lol:

Darth Vela
28-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Firstly, is there really a press conference or are you just trying to influence the papers again?

Secondly, I would think it'll be unveiling one or two players and maybe talking about a few outs (not the ones we don't want to go, everybody else), any questions asked about others will be dealt with in a vague 'we can't really talk about that' kind of way.

Thirdly, I reckon Ivan will be too busy to attend (or at least he'd better be) and Stan won't be arsed so it'll be Arsene plus maybe Eboue to distract anyone who asks difficult questions.

Cripps_orig
28-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Firstly, is there really a press conference or are you just trying to influence the papers again?

Yes, its at 7pm.

Flavs
28-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes there is a conference on Friday.

What i would like to see is the music from the start of the x-factor/that redman song playing, all the lights dim, just a long enough pause as the music grows quiet...footsteps.....a door opening....Arsene Wenger...followed by Karim Benzema....followed by Moussa Sissokho....followed by the giant frame of Chris Samba.....followed by Gervinho.

Wenger aproaches the stand and gives the finger to the lips "shhhhhhhh" sign, he holds up a board, we squint to read it, it says....Rosicky, Denilson, Eboue, Clichy, bendtner all have gone.

Wenger then points to his new guys, gives a thumbs up to them and then simply utters "fuck the haters" and walks away, back into the private rooms...

Joker
28-06-2011, 12:22 PM
He'll probably come out with the usual "we're operating a self sustaining business" and stress that we won't spend beyond our means. On the question of Cesc, he'll say he's under contract so he's not for sale without all sides agreeing. On players coming in, Wenger will tell the media that if we sign anyone, they'll be the first to know. He'll probably bemoan City and Chelsea distorting the market, and will tell us that we can't spend £100M on Messi, even though no one has asked him to.

In other words, nothing that we haven't heard before.

LDG
28-06-2011, 12:28 PM
He'll be singing.

Go compare! Go compare!
Some unknown shite, at the right price at Go compare!
And we'll accept offers to fill our coffers!
But we'll still buy shite when we go to Go compare!

GO COMPAAAARREEEE!!

Then he'll walk out.

Flavs
28-06-2011, 12:31 PM
or maybe just walk and delivery a Ving Rhames "fuck y'all" and just walk off....

selassie
28-06-2011, 12:53 PM
He'll probably come out with the usual "we're operating a self sustaining business" and stress that we won't spend beyond our means. On the question of Cesc, he'll say he's under contract so he's not for sale without all sides agreeing. On players coming in, Wenger will tell the media that if we sign anyone, they'll be the first to know. He'll probably bemoan City and Chelsea distorting the market, and will tell us that we can't spend £100M on Messi, even though no one has asked him to.

:rimshot:

Spot On.

Ollie the Optimist
28-06-2011, 01:06 PM

What i would like to see is the music from the start of the x-factor/that redman song playing, all the lights dim, just a long enough pause as the music grows quiet...footsteps.....a door opening....Arsene Wenger...followed by Karim Benzema....followed by Moussa Sissokho....followed by the giant frame of Chris Samba.....followed by Gervinho.

Wenger aproaches the stand and gives the finger to the lips "shhhhhhhh" sign, he holds up a board, we squint to read it, it says....Rosicky, Denilson, Eboue, Clichy, bendtner all have gone.

Wenger then points to his new guys, gives a thumbs up to them and then simply utters "fuck the haters" and walks away, back into the private rooms...

i actually laughed loudly there. :haha: taht would be so awesome if he did

IBK
28-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Since when did we ever have a momentus press conference? I expect the usual b/s.

Injury Time
28-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Duet with Tinchie Stryder "spaceship", Arsene with beanie hat and dodgy 'tash :bow: well that or mumbling something about being patient :coffee: :ilt:

Toronto Gooner
28-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I would like him to say that in response to the complaints from fans, the club has decided to produce an Apprentice reality programme. The 6 loudest, most obnoxious letter/e-mail writers have been chosen to undertake the task of developing a championship and CL winning squad through transfers and development. Their efforts will be reviewed and graded by Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho (to ensure impartiality), and then run through Football Manager. The winner will receive a lifetime of seasons tickets to Stoke City.

Fats
28-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Hopefully that he is resigning

Letters
28-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Launching our new Arsenal website

wesellanystar.com

Ironing
28-06-2011, 03:04 PM

This.

Of all the CRAP he comes out with, this probably pisses me off the most

Kano
28-06-2011, 03:54 PM

probably right.

yet although everyone expects this to happen, they'll still cry when it does.

Cripps_orig
28-06-2011, 04:51 PM
probably right.

yet although everyone expects this to happen, they'll still cry when it does.

Mainly cos its so predictable

Master Splinter
28-06-2011, 07:08 PM
The winner will receive a lifetime of seasons tickets to Stoke City.

:haha:

Elche
29-06-2011, 10:12 AM
maybe this thread is spot on.

Someone is having a medical today, maybe an announcement soon...

selassie
29-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Seen stuff about that Gervinho is the player having the medical, also seen stuff about Cahill too...who knows?

LDG
29-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Seen stuff about that Gervinho is the player having the medical, also seen stuff about Cahill too...who knows?

Could be both!

*thap thap thap*

selassie
29-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Could be both!

*thap thap thap*

You're just being greedy now LDG. :d

hymppi
29-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Could be both!

*thap thap thap*

nah, from a certain source, i've heard it's going to be diaby. he had a medical and AW will announce him as a new signing.
even though the medical team have killed him like they do on a limping horse.

KSE Comedy Club
30-06-2011, 07:45 AM
From SSN today:

Reports that Gervinho had a medical with Arsenal yesterday are not true, but the club is close to getting a deal done.

Özim
30-06-2011, 07:51 AM
With Barcelona closing in on Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, midfielder Samir Nasri and defender Gael Clichy could be heading out of the Emirates to Manchester United and Manchester City respectively.

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8605819/Arsenal-captain-Cesc-Fabregas-close-to-35-million-move-to-European-champions-Barcelona.html)

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8605819/Arsenal-captain-Cesc-Fabregas-close-to-35-million-move-to-European-champions-Barcelona.html)
However, Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is hoping the signing of Lille striker Gervinho - with a £12m deal close to completion - will keep Nasri in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9526498.stm

The last bit makes me laugh, what a total load of nonsense, how would signing a relative nobody encourage another player to stay :lol:

alexander
30-06-2011, 07:54 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9526498.stm

The last bit makes me laugh, what a total load of nonsense, how would signing a relative nobody encourage another player to stay :lol:

I have not really heard of this guy, and 12mil seems steep for an unknown, fairly unproven player. Bloody french league players.

Özim
30-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I have not really heard of this guy, and 12mil seems steep for an unknown, fairly unproven player. Bloody french league players.
Another one of those signings from the French league most don't know much about to be honest, it seems lessons are never learnt at the top. He may or may not turn out being good, but this is hardly the time to take chances on relative unknowns.

alexander
30-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Another one of those signings from the French league most don't know much about to be honest, it seems lessons are never learnt at the top. He may or may not turn out being good, but this is hardly the time to take chances on relative unknowns.

Some might put me in the `only wanting to sign players that are good on football manager` but thats not it. I watch quite a lot of football, read papers, listen to podcasts, and you can pick up quickly if a player is good or not. Whatever their age, league etc etc, you hear certain names cropping up. But not this guy. and for so much money :banghead:

LDG
30-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Some might put me in the `only wanting to sign players that are good on football manager` but thats not it. I watch quite a lot of football, read papers, listen to podcasts, and you can pick up quickly if a player is good or not. Whatever their age, league etc etc, you hear certain names cropping up. But not this guy. and for so much money :banghead:

Chill out man.

If all this shitstorm is not sorted by the end of the summer. Vent your anger. Until then, just wait and see.

That said, hope wenger has double velvet loo roll next to his letter box.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-06-2011, 08:24 AM

£12 million gets you Gareth Barry. If we base every other transfer on that benchmark, it's probably a bargain.

Özim
30-06-2011, 08:35 AM
£12 million gets you Gareth Barry. If we base every other transfer on that benchmark, it's probably a bargain.
Or of course you could get Van der Vaart for less, if you base it on that it's a bit steep ;)

alexander
30-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Or of course you could get Van der Vaart for less, if you base it on that it's a bit steep ;)

so now I dont know if its good or not. Hoping for a Drogba style turn out for this one.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-06-2011, 08:47 AM

VDV isn't the benchmark for greatness though, Barry is for shitness.

LDG
30-06-2011, 08:57 AM
so now I dont know if its good or not. Hoping for a Drogba style turn out for this one.

I can only go on what I've watched of the player, but he seems very direct and quite powerful. I don't expect him to be a target man, more a bulldozer. And I'm happy with that.

alexander
30-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I can only go on what I've watched of the player, but he seems very direct and quite powerful. I don't expect him to be a target man, more a bulldozer. And I'm happy with that.

better than chamakh...........

please say yes.....

Grebbo
30-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Chamakh :Shudder:

Don't want Gervinho. Would rather the money was put towards a top player. Have you seen how many chances this guy misses in a game? He's a poor man's Adebayor.

Özim
30-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Don't want Gervinho. Would rather the money was put towards a top player. Have you seen how many chances this guy misses in a game? He's a poor man's Adebayor.
Oh dear, doesn't sound promising.....

Kano
30-06-2011, 09:09 AM

how many games have you seen

Grebbo
30-06-2011, 09:12 AM

alexander
30-06-2011, 09:14 AM

haha very exact. How many mins?

Grebbo
30-06-2011, 09:15 AM
But seriously what is the point of signing this nobody??

We don't need anymore experiments. We don't need anymore squad players. We need proven PL players. We need first teamers.

None of this French/African bullshit.

Wenger hasn't learnt a bloody thing and will make the same mistakes this summer as he made last summer.

alexander
30-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Having not seen him, going on what said on here, I like the sound of direct and powerful. Something never leveled at Denilson.

Grebbo
30-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Manure are going out and buying proven PL players. We're buying chancers.

Pointless.

alexander
30-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Manure are going out and buying proven PL players. We're buying chancers.

Pointless.

:crying:

selassie
30-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm sitting on the fence a little with Gervinho. I've seen him a few times and he does have a lot of potential, he's lightening quick, very direct and quite strong. Sure he's a Project.....but he's not a massive gamble and if developed properly could turn into a very good player.

I do agree it's a risky signing...though a lot of this risk depends on who else we buy.

Personally I would have preferred us to have moved for someone like Ashley Young but that boat has sailed.

Darth Vela
30-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I dunno, I am a fan of Young but I don't think he is what we need, sure he can cross and he's got a bit of pace which wouldn't go amiss but he's also a bit inconsistent and lacks power, we need the honest hard-working type of players along with a bit more power and sheer force to get the right attitude into our squad and I don't think Young is that guy.

Gervinho seems like a good fit all round, for some reason people seem to think that Wenger was going to go out and buy big names and only big names, hence the ire directed at both this transfer and Jenkinson; right age, right position and right type of player, I'd give him a chance.

LDG
30-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Seems a bit ridiculous to me to write a player off before he's even played for us, because he's not a "big name".

FFS.

Get a grip people.

I know people don't trust Wenger anymore, but he has bought his fair share of unknown players to the club who have gone on to be fucking good players.

It's short-sighted to say the least.

selassie
30-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I dunno, I am a fan of Young but I don't think he is what we need, sure he can cross and he's got a bit of pace which wouldn't go amiss but he's also a bit inconsistent and lacks power, we need the honest hard-working type of players along with a bit more power and sheer force to get the right attitude into our squad and I don't think Young is that guy.

Gervinho seems like a good fit all round, for some reason people seem to think that Wenger was going to go out and buy big names and only big names, hence the ire directed at both this transfer and Jenkinson; right age, right position and right type of player, I'd give him a chance.

Fair enough that's your opinion, I think Young would have been a good fit because he's use to the league and would probably hit the ground running. He played at quite a high level towards the end of the season for both club & country and IMHO would have been quite useful to us not just domestically but in Europe too.

Gervinho is definitely a talented player, that I'm not doubting. I just question how long it will take him to adjust to the league.

I'm not really asking for big names, just players who are established in this league, is that really too much to ask?

selassie
30-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Seems a bit ridiculous to me to write a player off before he's even played for us, because he's not a "big name".

FFS.

Get a grip people.

I know people don't trust Wenger anymore, but he has bought his fair share of unknown players to the club who have gone on to be fucking good players.

It's short-sighted to say the least.

I don't think folks necessarily want "big names" they want "Proven PL Players", I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that & if I'm honest I would prefer some "Proven PL Players". If it costs a bit more so be it.

Özim
30-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Fair enough that's your opinion, I think Young would have been a good fit because he's use to the league and would probably hit the ground running. He played at quite a high level towards the end of the season for both club & country and IMHO would have been quite useful to us not just domestically but in Europe too.

Gervinho is definitely a talented player, that I'm not doubting. I just question how long it will take him to adjust to the league.

I'm not really asking for big names, just players who are established in this league, is that really too much to ask?
Good post, I'd have chosen Young too, use to the PL and has proven himself there.

Gervinho may be good but it will take him time to settle and get use to the game and he is a gamble.

Joker
30-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I would have preferred a more proven international player, with more experience of top level competition. Wenger seems to focus too much on young players from the French league, which is strange for someone with a supposed encyclopaediac knowledge of world football. We'll have to see what Gervinho offers, but it is a risky signing.

Marc Overmars
30-06-2011, 10:38 AM
We're don't sign big name players so people shouldn't get caught up on that idea. We sign players off the radar that might have potential and we can get for a good price. Gervinho is about as big as it gets for us.

Joker
30-06-2011, 10:44 AM
In fact the primary objective seems to be to buy young, unproven players for next to nothing (sometimes providing incentives to parents to encourage their son to move to the club), develop them to a good standard, then sell for profit. On the YoungGuns website, the owner of the site effectively said the same thing when asked about the failure of the youth project. Yes, I don't doubt that Wenger would be pleasantly surprised if the Youth Project delivered as a trophy, but that's a secondary considering to profit making IMO. How often has Wenger pointed out how we are a self sustaining business. Well, one reason why we can be a self sustaining business is that we use our Youth Project as a Cash cow, churning out profit to maintain the value of share prices.

Darth Vela
30-06-2011, 10:46 AM

No, I think wanting experience is perfectly reasonable but I think there are those out there who seem to just want a bit of a marguee signing, feeling a bit left out from Man U announcing well-known players and knowing that Citeh and Chelsea will be spending big, ofc that's a bit of a generalisation but it's the vibe I pick up. I want some PL players too, especially in defence where we need the extra physicality and nous but guys that actually give us something we need rather than getting them in because we need a player there and they're PL proven, I guess most people think that but there's rather a large variation of opinions on what it is we actually need, for me that isn't Young.

Darth Vela
30-06-2011, 10:49 AM
In fact the primary objective seems to be to buy young, unproven players for next to nothing (sometimes providing incentives to parents to encourage their son to move to the club), develop them to a good standard, then sell for profit. On the YoungGuns website, the owner of the site effectively said the same thing when asked about the failure of the youth project. Yes, I don't doubt that Wenger would be pleasantly surprised if the Youth Project delivered as a trophy, but that's a secondary considering to profit making IMO. How often has Wenger pointed out how we are a self sustaining business. Well, one reason why we can be a self sustaining business is that we use our Youth Project as a Cash cow, churning out profit to maintain the value of share prices.

You almost seem to be using the financial benefit of developing youth as an example of a bad thing there, it really isn't.

Pretty sure the primary objective is winning a trophy with qualification for the CL and maintaining a good financial base as secondary objectives in order to achieve the primary but that seems to be a pretty niche opinion nowadays.

LDG
30-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think folks necessarily want "big names" they want "Proven PL Players", I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that & if I'm honest I would prefer some "Proven PL Players". If it costs a bit more so be it.

Meh. Nothing excited me striker-wise from the PL last year that would make me want them for "a few million more". In fact, with RVP, we had the best striker in the last half of the season.

I personally want us to blow shitloads on Benzema, but I know that won't happen.

Just saying I won't judge Gervinho until I see him play.

Özim
30-06-2011, 10:52 AM
No, I think wanting experience is perfectly reasonable but I think there are those out there who seem to just want a bit of a marguee signing, feeling a bit left out from Man U announcing well-known players and knowing that Citeh and Chelsea will be spending big, ofc that's a bit of a generalisation but it's the vibe I pick up. I want some PL players too, especially in defence where we need the extra physicality and nous but guys that actually give us something we need rather than getting them in because we need a player there and they're PL proven, I guess most people think that but there's rather a large variation of opinions on what it is we actually need, for me that isn't Young.
Is it Gervinho though, a striker from the French league with 45 goals in 142 appearances and in reality someone who untested at the highest level and will probably take 6 months to a season to settle.

If Young isn't the answer I don't see how Gervinho can be either, he's a gamble at best at a time when gamble's are not really what we should be looking for.

For me this is just another example (if you need it) of Wenger not having changed and not having suddenly realised changes are needed.

Darth Vela
30-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, quoting stats from over 3 years is rather misleading when a player is just starting to come into their prime as it includes their development periods which skews all kinds of things. Take a look at his stats from last season, something like 15/16 goals and 10/11 assists if memory serves, those are pretty good from the wing.

In terms of comparisons to Young, I'm looking at it from types of player rather than which league they're playing in, Young is a slightly built attacking midfielder/winger whereas Gervinho is a quick, powerful winger/striker who likes to dribble and has a pretty direct style. I think we have too much of the former and need more of the latter, simple as that.

I think if you're hoping for Wenger to 'change' in that he'll suddenly go out and spunk 70m on 3/4 Prem players then you'll invariably be disappointed but what you'll see is players with more experience coming in, probably at least one or two from the PL, and guys that are a little different to shake up our squad; I'll be shocked if we don't anyway.

selassie
30-06-2011, 11:17 AM

I get where you're coming from Darth. I think we probably want the same, I'd like a PL based CB (Cahill or maybe even Samba at a stretch).

I suppose my fear is that Arsene will repeat the same mistakes as last year and end up buying from the European market. I'm not doubting that quality can be picked up from abroad and more often than not at cheaper prices but this team needs some experience/preferrably PL based experience if it really wants to move forward domestically. That's just my opinion anyway.

Darth Vela
30-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Can't argue with that :good:

LDG
30-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Seconded.

IBK
30-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Haven't we got used to the fact that AW will only buy players whom he feels he can develop? Value/potential is as important to the manager as immediate fitness for purpose - and when you see the likes of £50M Torres, or £27M Dzeko, its difficult not to be able at least to understand where Wenger is coming from. Where I think that in the past he has slipped up is not having experienced heads to learn from. So if its Gervinho, fine, but we also need some wise heads.

LDG
30-06-2011, 02:46 PM
So....back to the OP.

Erm.

I think AW is going to just sit there and talk about....ermm....oh....:tumbleweed:

Shittest press conference EVER!

:crying:

AKBapologist
30-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Sounds like he's just had the dress rehersal
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/06/30/2554679/arsene-wenger-tells-arsenal-fans-to-expect-transfer-activity

Now it's the end of July? Ffs. Fuck this summer up and I'll drag you out of the club myself.

LDG
30-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Sounds like he's just had the dress rehersal
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/06/30/2554679/arsene-wenger-tells-arsenal-fans-to-expect-transfer-activity

:wwf:

:ilt:

server too busy!
30-06-2011, 03:09 PM
He doesn't say no signings to end of July, he just says there will be more signings in that period.

LDG
30-06-2011, 03:11 PM
He doesn't say no signings to end of July, he just says there will be more signings in that period.

http://yourinspiringlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/veruca-salt-2.jpg

AKBapologist
30-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Apparently goal.com made up half of the quotes... Standby.

Twitter

:lol:

/Ash

This is givemefootballs version
http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/gunners-boss-still-searching-for-super-signing

LDG
30-06-2011, 03:29 PM
"super signing"

Cock.

Argh.

selassie
30-06-2011, 03:43 PM
http://yourinspiringlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/veruca-salt-2.jpg

I want one now!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Lahey
30-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Arsenal has its fans sooo disillusioned its unreal. Adebayor went for 25 mil...where the fuck is that money gone? I mean seriously, we can do much much better than Gervinho.I havent even seen him yet and i dont need to. Hes a typical Wenger buy, cheap, black, athletic and comes from the french league. Sure he could decent player but he will not improve our team beyond where we are given what we stand to loose this summer.

Does everyone really buy the idea that we couldnt spunk 25mil down on one player? Its laughable really and you dont even need to look at the books just look at our transfer history and youll see the money that we have made. You get what you pay for im afraid. Sometimes you end up with a real steal but majority of the time it is what it is.

Id be all up for Wenger continuing if he spent some goddamn money but he wont so I really just want him to fuck off before I start hating the man whos brought Arsenal soo much success.

RomfordPele
30-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I just don't get it. So we're going to wait until Clichy, Nasri and Cesc fuck off before we enter the market? So we'll be cash rich and desperate, and every club and every agent in Europe will know it. Why aren't we doing our business early and have done with it. Why don't we take control for once, rather than just react to what happens?

Baines/Enrique + Gervinho/Hazard/Parker + Samba + Cahill = happier fans, settled squad, better preparation for next season.

Why the waiting around? I just don't get it.

Like the new site by the way. :tiphat:

Özim
30-06-2011, 09:54 PM
"super signing"

Cock.

Argh.

A f*ck the super signing bollocks again!

Özim
30-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I just don't get it. So we're going to wait until Clichy, Nasri and Cesc fuck off before we enter the market? So we'll be cash rich and desperate, and every club and every agent in Europe will know it. Why aren't we doing our business early and have done with it. Why don't we take control for once, rather than just react to what happens?

Baines/Enrique + Gervinho/Hazard/Parker + Samba + Cahill = happier fans, settled squad, better preparation for next season.

Why the waiting around? I just don't get it.

Like the new site by the way. :tiphat:
Let me explain:

We're waiting for season ticket holders to sign up, once done Wenger will come out saying "we will get in 1 maybe 2 players maximum", then we'll make one or two mickey mouse signings and he'll say "the team is young and they have one more year of experience, we have Vermaelen and Diaby back and they are like new signings."

Özim
30-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Seriously though, his words from the BBC:

But Wenger recently claimed that it will be late into pre-season before there is significant movement in the transfer market.

"We are in a waiting period, everybody is waiting," said the Arsenal boss in an interview with Alsace TV.

"Everybody has their cards in their hands, hoping for the big transfer. There is nothing moving yet. The period will be more active at the end of July when we will need to really strengthen the team."http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13984029.stm

Someone please explain to me what is wrong with this guy? A waiting period....wtf for....surely it makes more sense to make your signings early and have your pick rather than wait for everyone else to sign players and be left with scraps and not time for them to be prepared for the season.

Seriously he really enjoys rubbing it in doesn't he? If we sell the likes of Cesc, Nasri and Clichy before signing players, clubs will know we have cash to burn and will push up the price..does he have no common sense at all?

Cripps_orig
30-06-2011, 10:17 PM
This guys just pisses the fuck out of me now. Just fuck off you cunt.

This is to Wenger not Zimm btw.

Everyones waiting? Wtf? Man Utd have bought 3 players. More importantly so have Sunderland. I say more importantly cos with this prick in charge, we'll be rivaling them rather than Man Utd in the near future.

Just go and give us Arsenal fans some hope again.

Marc Overmars
30-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm guessing he's waiting to see how many of his players do one and how much he'll have to burn. It happens every year, our transfers are generally dictated by who leaves first. That's why you always hear shite about our priority being to keep hold of our best players, no other top club talks like that.

Good team building, Arsene. :coffee:

Joker
30-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Why set an arbitrary time frame in which transfers are expected to take place? This makes no sense. If the right player is available, surely it makes sense to act as soon possible, otherwise another club could move in and complete the transfer while we're standing still. This is probably to do with Wenger wanting to drive the price down as much as possible, and not wanting to enter the market too soon and appearing too keen, because he worries that sends the signal that we're desparately in need of signings, which could increase the fees clubs are asking for their players.

Of course, the grim reality is that by waiting until the end of July, quite a few of our targets will probably have moved on to other clubs, or have agreed a new contract with their existing clubs. Moreover, it gives any new players coming in less time to get used to the club, their teammates, our style of football etc, which will hinder our preparations at the start of the season, which could be especially damaging as we face a really tricky start to the season.

Wenger has definitely lost the plot, and the quicker he fucks off out of the club the better.

Ollie the Optimist
30-06-2011, 10:50 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13984029.stm

Someone please explain to me what is wrong with this guy? A waiting period....wtf for....surely it makes more sense to make your signings early and have your pick rather than wait for everyone else to sign players and be left with scraps and not time for them to be prepared for the season.

Seriously he really enjoys rubbing it in doesn't he? If we sell the likes of Cesc, Nasri and Clichy before signing players, clubs will know we have cash to burn and will push up the price..does he have no common sense at all?

this is a stupid suggestion here but perhaps just perhaps he has bid for players and now is waiting for all the paperwork, wages etc to be dealt with meaning it wont be done till late preseason?

ElusiveGooner
30-06-2011, 11:33 PM

If only.... :crying:

Toronto Gooner
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
This guys just pisses the fuck out of me now. Just fuck off you cunt.

This is to Wenger not Zimm btw.

Everyones waiting? Wtf? Man Utd have bought 3 players. More importantly so have Sunderland. I say more importantly cos with this prick in charge, we'll be rivaling them rather than Man Utd in the near future.

Just go and give us Arsenal fans some hope again.
I am not 100& certain how accurate this site is, http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/english-premier-league-transfers/, but it shows that confirmed transfers in the EPL so far are:
Sunderland 5
Newcastle 4
Man U 3
Norwich 3
WBA 2
Wolves 2
Spurs 1
Swansea 1
Arsneal 1
Liverpool 1
Fulham 1

9 of those were free transfers.

I cannot really say that here has been a huge amount of activity.

fari
01-07-2011, 12:23 AM
what a way to start the month...lord have mercy

Cripps_orig
01-07-2011, 12:39 AM
I am not 100& certain how accurate this site is, http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-transfers/english-premier-league-transfers/, but it shows that confirmed transfers in the EPL so far are:
Sunderland 5
Newcastle 4
Man U 3
Norwich 3
WBA 2
Wolves 2
Spurs 1
Swansea 1
Arsneal 1
Liverpool 1
Fulham 1

9 of those were free transfers.

I cannot really say that here has been a huge amount of activity.

Maybe not but why do we have to wait for it to be busy for us to get players? As usual he's using this as an excuse so when we miss out on quality players, he can use the "man city, chelsea, bognor regis etc offered more money and we can't compete with that" instead of getting in early for these players.

Point still stands. He can fuck off and if that seems disrespectful to Wenger then it was meant to be.

Japan Shaking All Over
01-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Tbh I tend to shy away from Wenger bashing, my thinking is the same as not complaining when the train is late
that no amount of complaining is goig to change the situation, the train is late, we have Wenger and that aint going to change either

However the 'waiting period' comment is a bit galling and smacks of classic clueless Wenger , how many times have we heardabout how much money he has and maybe intends to spend IF the right player comes along, only to have the rug pulled from under iur feet and for him to do nothing, falling back on old favourites such as 'the current squad is good enough' , why the fuck didnt we get Samba last Jan when we knew Squac was obviously not the right player or good enough

the difference between having to wait for a late train and AW is that the train finally comes and you get to move towards your destination

Wenger on the other hand is like beong stuck on the Piccadilly Line, in the tunnel , one stop away from Arsenal station, 10 minutes before kick off of the first game of the season, where you expect to see a flurry of new signings - in other words a fucking bitch

selassie
01-07-2011, 06:14 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13984029.stm

I've got no idea what he means by those quotes either, a waiting period???

Coney
01-07-2011, 07:20 AM
I've got no idea what he means by those quotes either, a waiting period???

I'd guess that we have made offers and received offers, as have many others, and no-one is accepting yet in case they can do a better deal. like a housing chain. So perhaps we will sell players A, B and C if we can get X, Y and Z and other clubs are in the same boat. As the deadline approaches, someone will agree something and the whole lot then can move. Kind of annoying too. As I said before, I hate the restriction of a transfer window which causes most of these problems.

GP
01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
I'd guess that we have made offers and received offers, as have many others, and no-one is accepting yet in case they can do a better deal. like a housing chain. So perhaps we will sell players A, B and C if we can get X, Y and Z and other clubs are in the same boat. As the deadline approaches, someone will agree something and the whole lot then can move. Kind of annoying too. As I said before, I hate the restriction of a transfer window which causes most of these problems.

Exactly.

LDG
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Yup.

Özim
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
There's always excuses for Wenger, trouble is after 6 years they're wearing a bit thin.

He hasn't been active in the transfer market for years, people for some reason expect things to be different this summer.....the only difference I can see is that we're likely to lose 3 first teamers this time round rather than 1 or 2. Sure we look like getting Gervinho, but from what I can tell he's a typical Wenger signing, from the French league, won't cost too much, not great at shooting.

I just don't trust this guy with transfers anymore, he always leaves us disappointed. I can't wait for the day when we have a manager who's not scared to enter the transfer market when it's necessary.

LDG
01-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Zimm, there's absolutely no point in moaning about it right at this very minute. Point is, we have no idea what is going to happen.

So far, we've sold nobody, and we've bought in one kiddiewinkle.

The rumours may well be true, who knows, but until things start happening, it's unfair to predict what is going to happen, and use it for your Wenger bashing means.

You may well be completely right. And I have the same fear as you, btw. But as we're stuck with Wenger for at least 6 months, all we can do is wait and see. Like I keep saying, if it comes to August 13th and we've fucked it up again, I'll be as incensed as the next man.

Özim
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Zimm, there's absolutely no point in moaning about it right at this very minute. Point is, we have no idea what is going to happen.

So far, we've sold nobody, and we've bought in one kiddiewinkle.

The rumours may well be true, who knows, but until things start happening, it's unfair to predict what is going to happen, and use it for your Wenger bashing means.

You may well be completely right. And I have the same fear as you, btw. But as we're stuck with Wenger for at least 6 months, all we can do is wait and see. Like I keep saying, if it comes to August 13th and we've fucked it up again, I'll be as incensed as the next man.
It's the whole "waiting period" thing that's annoyed me, he knows we had a bad season, he knows the fans were not happy at all and yet he just seems to be happy sitting there twiddling his thumbs.

I don't see any genuine reason as to why we'd have to wait till the end of July, if we want someone we bid for them, if the club says no and we won't pay more we move on to someone else...it's simple...Ferguson hasn't had any problems signing players.

We had the same thing with Baptista a few years back (ok he turned out sh*t but that's not the point), he sat there waiting for a player that was never going to come (he said as much) for no reason and in the end the inevitable happened. Why would we want to wait till well into pre-season, I'd have thought getting players in early so that they can have a full pre-season and start getting use to things would be best.

The problem with Wenger is he's not proactive at all, people can sugercoat his behaviour with regards transfers if they like, but we know from experience what he's like.

selassie
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Nicely put, I'm not so sure that's the case with us though.

Özim
01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Nicely put, I'm not so sure that's the case with us though.
No me neither!

LDG
01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
It's the whole "waiting period" thing that's annoyed me, he knows we had a bad season, he knows the fans were not happy at all and yet he just seems to be happy sitting there twiddling his thumbs.

I don't see any genuine reason as to why we'd have to wait till the end of July, if we want someone we bid for them, if the club says no and we won't pay more we move on to someone else...it's simple...Ferguson hasn't had any problems signing players.

We had the same thing with Baptista a few years back (ok he turned out sh*t but that's not the point), he sat there waiting for a player that was never going to come (he said as much) for no reason and in the end the inevitable happened.

The problem with Wenger is he's not proactive at all, people can sugercoat his behaviour with regards transfers if they like, but we know from experience what he's like.

We don't know he's sat twiddling his thumbs though do we...and this is my point.

Stop listening to him if it riles you up.

I stopped listening to the cunt about 4 years ago, because he talks utter bollocks half the time. He's fielding questions with vague pre-concieved answers like a politician on question time.

Stop listening to him.

Toronto Gooner
01-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Have we had the press conference? Did I sleep through it?

Master Splinter
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Have we had the press conference? Did I sleep through it?

It starts at 7pm GMT.

Hump
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Yep, the big news is we've signed Carl Jenkinson and we'll add to the squad if we find the right quality.

Hump
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
GMT or BST?

Toronto Gooner
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks, I can go back to enjoying Canada Day. BTW, why have we got Will and Kate over here. Has Britain got bored of them already?:)

Master Splinter
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I can go back to enjoying Canada Day. BTW, why have we got Will and Kate over here. Has Britain got bored of them already?:)

We have to put with constant shots of Kate's sister at Wimbledon. I'd prefer Prince Philip.

Niall_Quinn
01-07-2011, 02:22 PM

If that happens then Wenger can fuck off and die, fancy not signing Cahill!

Hump
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
They trying for a baby over there because they can't shag over here because the paparazzi puts Will off his stroke. I understand that they will be using the Beckham naming protocol. Princess Norval has a ring to it, doesn't it.

Toronto Gooner
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
They trying for a baby over there because they can't shag over here because the paparazzi puts Will off his stroke. I understand that they will be using the Beckham naming protocol. Princess Norval has a ring to it, doesn't it.
Could be worse: Prince Yellowknife might produce a few knowing smiles.

AKBapologist
01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
It starts at 7pm GMT.

Is this a live event or?

Cripps_orig
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Is this a live event or?

Nope.

Highlights shown on MOTD later

Ironing
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Great press conference, enjoyed every second of it

Highly recommended

Master Splinter
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Great press conference, enjoyed every second of it

Highly recommended

:gp:

Eboue in the tigersuit was a nice touch.

LDG
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Wenger smokescreen :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
We have to put with constant shots of Kate's sister at Wimbledon. I'd prefer Prince Philip.

Nice ass, but a face like a truck.

Marc Overmars
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Nice ass, but a face like a truck.

Yeah, I don't get the deal with her either.

Kate is much nicer.

Injury Time
03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Er Mr Punchy what's your sauces(sic) say now... :tumbleweed:

Flavs
03-07-2011, 06:51 AM
tis not my fault, Club said there would be a conference and there wasnt? Wenger smokescreen i guess. He did that interview in france instead it seems

Injury Time
03-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Never your fault is it, about time someone held you to account over our downfall :sulk:

;)