PDA

View Full Version : Hearts defender put on sex offenders list

Japan Shaking All Over
28-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Hearts have suspended Craig Thomson after he was placed on a sex offenders list for inappropriate conduct toward underage girls on the internet.

The club announced the decision on Tuesday, a day after saying they were backing the Scotland Under-21 defender.

Thomson, 20, pleaded guilty to "lewd, libidinous and indecent behaviour," and was placed on the sex offenders list for five years and fined £4,000.

The club's initial backing of Thomson was widely criticised.

The official supporters' club of the Scottish Premier League outfit, charity Children's 1st and Scottish lawmakers were among those calling for Hearts to take action against the player.

And Hearts' water sponsor cancelled its contract with the club on Monday.

A very brief statement on the Hearts website announced Thomson's suspension and said there would be no further comment.

Anne Houston, chief executive of Children 1st, said on Tuesday: "The reason we got involved in this issue was because of our longstanding commitment to protecting children and ensuring they are safe and secure.

Continue reading the main story
There is no place in our society for public role models who have been convicted of sexual offences against children
Anne Houston

Chief executive, Children 1st
"We would maintain that there is no place in our society for public role models who have been convicted of sexual offences against children, no matter what other talents they might have.

"In recent years, Children 1st has worked closely with sports governing bodies, including the SFA, to help them train volunteer coaches on keeping children safe and allowing them to have fun in sport.

"But professional sports organisations also have responsibilities in this area. Everyone at a football club who has contact with children and young people should be trained on child protection procedures."

Lothian police say there are currently no fresh investigations into newspaper allegations against Thomson.

But BBC Scotland believes the club are conducting their own internal investigation into the allegations.

A police spokesman said: "Lothian and Borders Police are not currently carrying out any further investigations into a 20-year-old man who was convicted for sexual offences in Midlothian.

"If however, any new evidence is brought to our attention, it will be investigated thoroughly and the appropriate action will be taken.

"We would actively encourage any victim of crime to come forward to police immediately or alternatively to report the crime via Crimestoppers in complete anonymity."

the guy's got a screw loose......

GP
28-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I bet she was fit though...

Injury Time
28-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I bet she was fit though...
Mandy that you?

Letters
28-06-2011, 07:24 PM
What a GHEL :bow:

He's not that kind of player...

Marc Overmars
28-06-2011, 08:01 PM
They only suspended him because of the backlash they received for originally standing by him.

He should have been sacked on the spot.

Gubby Allen
28-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Peculiar story this - been around for weeks without going away. Right decision and should've been done immediately but does beg the question what you do with these people. He'll probably now become a postman, milkman or dustman now - not really sure that's achieved anything for soceity and a bit galling to see the old "role model" cliche.

Peculair too how Elvis groomed a 13/14 year old girl for a relationship, but we laugh that off now & ignore it. Nobody gives two shits a member of The Stones was shagging someone of that age: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html#ixzz0lemZCzQJ. About half a dozen others too from the world of "show-biz".

Injury Time
28-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Peculiar story this - been around for weeks without going away. Right decision and should've been done immediately but does beg the question what you do with these people. He'll probably now become a postman, milkman or dustman now - not really sure that's achieved anything for soceity and a bit galling to see the old "role model" cliche.

Peculair too how Elvis groomed a 13/14 year old girl for a relationship, but we laugh that off now & ignore it. Nobody gives two shits a member of The Stones was shagging someone of that age: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html#ixzz0lemZCzQJ. About half a dozen others too from the world of "show-biz".

Don't forget jerry "marry my underage cousin" Lee Lewis ;)

Flavs
29-06-2011, 07:18 AM
seems unfair to me, he is already on the sex register so thats his punishment, this lighting torches shit is silly, Tony Adams was allowed to play when he came out of jail, Jermaine pennant and Ashley cole have been done for driving offences many times and carry on, Duncan Ferguson, Joey Barton. The list goes on, just because this guys shows his knob to 2 young fans he gets singled out, i mean we have all done it ffs