PDA

View Full Version : Scezney really that good?

server too busy!
23-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I haven't seen him make any outstanding saves, he doesn't really command the box on crosses, and hes let in a few goals he shouldn't have. Is he really the answer to our goalkeeping problems? Is he number 1 when Fabianski is back?

Obiwan Kenobinil
23-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I think so. Shit defenders don't help his cause however.

cheesy bites
23-05-2011, 09:10 AM
This is his first season, and he's ridiculously young for a keeper. He's our number one from now one, heck even the great Bob Wilson said so.

budesonide
23-05-2011, 09:10 AM
he is another quincy,lupoli,denilson,diaby,walcott,senderos,nord veit,bendtner etc. He is a couple of massive cock-ups away next season after which it would be arbitrarily decided by wenger he is not ready --- he will then be shipped out on loan never to be heard of again then sold off to an obscure eastern european club.

Elche
23-05-2011, 09:26 AM
He's good but our defence is the worst in 30 years of watching Arsenal.

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 09:29 AM
He's by no means the finished article but he has that aura of confidence about him, he's a real character like all the great keepers are. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I know what your saying but I think he's the best we've got and his defence certainly doesn't help him. I'd quite like to see us sign Brad Friedel for a year and let Chesney continue to develop as understudy.

server too busy!
23-05-2011, 11:02 AM
The goal yesterday going through is legs was a bit terrible though, and when was the last time he came for a cross. When we first saw him he was punching them to the halfway line. I think hes a number 2 and someone like Staklenburg or whatever should come in.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 11:18 AM
He like many before him suffer from "Wengeritis" in that they use the first 11 as a developmental stage, which it shouldnt be, if he neds first team footie to develop then loan him to a championship club cos he isnt ready for the big stage. You cant just wander in completely inexperienced and play top level footie and champs league footie ffs, the same happened to Eastmond and he hasnt been seen since.

We have 2 levels of players now, he stars and the kids, sadly the kids tend to be back upto to the stars making our squad so ridiculously unbalanced its a joke, these kids are bought into he first team with such hype from the manager and the fans that when they unsurprisingly fail they get crucified as failures.

I dont think any other club in the wiorld does this but us.

IBK
23-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I think we'll either stick with him or Flappy as No. 1.

Flappy was showing more consistency - which is to be expected.

Mind you Jo Djo is another player - along with Szcesny - who seems to have been affected alarmingly by the disintegration of our defence as a team.

IBK
23-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I think it shows real arrogance/myopia from the manager - namely that he feels he is so good at finding/developing young talent that they are good enough to play at the top level straight away. he seems to think that because it worked with Cesc it'll work with anyone.

Özim
23-05-2011, 11:49 AM
He's a good young keeper who could use someone older to learn from, I think he's got a lot of potential...not sure if he's quite ready yet though.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-05-2011, 11:50 AM
TBF he is a young lad who has been thrown in at the deep end tbf. Did he think he would play in all those important matches for us no way. He really should not be no 1 next season he needs to learn from another before he gets the job full time.

KSE Comedy Club
23-05-2011, 11:58 AM
He just needs to spend the next 3 months with Lehmann.

Then he will be a perfect no1 at the start of next season.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 12:03 PM
He just needs to spend the next 3 months with Lehmann.

Then he will be a perfect no1 at the start of next season.

You have me wondering what it would be like living for three months with Jens lehmann. Brrrr....

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2011, 12:49 PM
He like many before him suffer from "Wengeritis" in that they use the first 11 as a developmental stage, which it shouldnt be, if he neds first team footie to develop then loan him to a championship club cos he isnt ready for the big stage. You cant just wander in completely inexperienced and play top level footie and champs league footie ffs, the same happened to Eastmond and he hasnt been seen since.

We have 2 levels of players now, he stars and the kids, sadly the kids tend to be back upto to the stars making our squad so ridiculously unbalanced its a joke, these kids are bought into he first team with such hype from the manager and the fans that when they unsurprisingly fail they get crucified as failures.

Pretty much. Wenger just doesn't seem to place any value on experience and maturity any more (if he ever did). Chesney shows a lot of potential, as does Flappy if we're fair, but neither are PL winning keepers - yet. Both would benefit massively from learning with a seasoned pro though. Somebody like Jens or Seaman. The fact Wenger wouldn't pay the last few miserable quid for a #1 keeper in the summer and instead threw these kids into the lion's den says a lot about the "father figure" stereotype he carries around. Managers who really care about a player's development and career don't do that. It's one thing being a backup keeper and cocking-up in a big game, people understand it and forgive it - the player is still learning after all. But when you go out in a cup final carrying the #1 tag then people expect more and it's a lot for a kid to carry that pressure. Wenger is doing the same to Wilshere. In fact they're all piling on Jack. He's played over 50 games this year and now straight into international duty. It's crazy.

IBK
23-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I have been wondering more and more whether in the medium/long term AW may be retarding the development of the young players whose cause he is so famous for championing. Been a while since we have really seen dramatic improvements from his players accross the board. If anything, the majority seem to be standing still/regressing.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I have been wondering more and more whether in the medium/long term AW may be retarding the development of the young players whose cause he is so famous for championing. Been a while since we have really seen dramatic improvements from his players accross the board. If anything, the majority seem to be standing still/regressing.

You are not the only one coming to this conclusion. How can they possibly develop when their confidence is being knocked as a reult of not being able to make mistakes and learn from them in a safer and more understanding environment with no one to look up to or learn from?

selassie
23-05-2011, 01:25 PM

:good:

Yup, AW has been using the first team as a nursery for way too long, who do these players learn from?

FWIW, I like Chesney...he has a lot of raw potential...raw in the sense that he's still quite rough around the edges but there's a very good keeper in there IMHO. Personally I feel we should bring in a quality experienced keeper to accelerate his or Fabianski's development, really Arsene should make his decision on who he wants to keep.

Personally I prefer Chesney over Fabianski, I think Ches is the more rounded keeper.

P.S. I think having Chesney & Fabianski as number 1 & 2 at the club is potentially damaging for both of them, who do they learn from?

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 01:25 PM
5 years on from the start of project youth, Cesc is still the face of it. Who else has Wenger managed to build up from scratch into not just a relatively competent player (that any manger could do), but a player that genuinely excels? I would not be too surprised if Bendtner becomes a 20 goal a season striker at say, Bayern Munich where he has been linked for example, why Wenger felt the need to play him on the right wing is beyond me. I'm not an expert but I don't see how a 6ft+ striker with no pace is going to succeed out there.

It's a worry that Wenger's biggest draw, his youth development, may also be one of his flaws now.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 02:37 PM
5 years on from the start of project youth, Cesc is still the face of it. Who else has Wenger managed to build up from scratch into not just a relatively competent player (that any manger could do), but a player that genuinely excels? I would not be too surprised if Bendtner becomes a 20 goal a season striker at say, Bayern Munich where he has been linked for example, why Wenger felt the need to play him on the right wing is beyond me. I'm not an expert but I don't see how a 6ft+ striker with no pace is going to succeed out there.

It's a worry that Wenger's biggest draw, his youth development, may also be one of his flaws now.

I think Wenger's youth development has been very overrated. As you say who has he 'developed' other than Cesc in the last 6 years?

And even before that some of his young signings have been questionable, Aliadiere, Jeffers to name 2. I think he got lucky with the likes of Vieira and Henry in that they didn't need developing so much more just given a chance.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2011, 02:41 PM
The mystic aura around Wenger is starting to clear for me too and the only thing I see now is a bank manager who eats healthily.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 02:41 PM
:good:

Yup, AW has been using the first team as a nursery for way too long, who do these players learn from?

FWIW, I like Chesney...he has a lot of raw potential...raw in the sense that he's still quite rough around the edges but there's a very good keeper in there IMHO. Personally I feel we should bring in a quality experienced keeper to accelerate his or Fabianski's development, really Arsene should make his decision on who he wants to keep.

Personally I prefer Chesney over Fabianski, I think Ches is the more rounded keeper.

P.S. I think having Chesney & Fabianski as number 1 & 2 at the club is potentially damaging for both of them, who do they learn from?

I do wonder if we will try and get Given from Man City this summer as a foil for the other two, he is the wrong kind of keeper for us IMO but is still a big improvement and a move in the right direction.

Alpha
23-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I think Scesney is a good keeper for his age . He is confident and never let a single mistake affect him . He is learning his trade . The way we defend let him down .But he will come very good and grow with years .

irishitaliangooner
23-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I think we have a WORLD CLASS keeper in the making in this kid, I think he is a brilliant keeper and how you can say that he hasn't made any top class saves, I have seen quite a few made by him, can't point them out from which games, but he has made some great saves. We have finally found a keeper who will become a long-term No.1 for club and country just like Seam-o... What hasn't helped is the fact that he has had a rotation of CB's in front of him who are as trusting as my kids playing CB. I think now we have Vermaelen back and if we can get Kocielny's confidence back up to where it was before the CC Final then I think we could have a really good solid backline... I would get rid of Clichy now though and bring in the Konchesky :P Joking, maybe Gibbs to get the nod over him. I have faith in what Arsenal can do next season like I do every year. Considering we had Cesc and RvP out for half a season then I think we done as well as we could.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I think we have a WORLD CLASS keeper in the making in this kid, I think he is a brilliant keeper and how you can say that he hasn't made any top class saves, I have seen quite a few made by him, can't point them out from which games, but he has made some great saves. We have finally found a keeper who will become a long-term No.1 for club and country just like Seam-o... What hasn't helped is the fact that he has had a rotation of CB's in front of him who are as trusting as my kids playing CB. I think now we have Vermaelen back and if we can get Kocielny's confidence back up to where it was before the CC Final then I think we could have a really good solid backline... I would get rid of Clichy now though and bring in the Konchesky :P Joking, maybe Gibbs to get the nod over him. I have faith in what Arsenal can do next season like I do every year. Considering we had Cesc and RvP out for half a season then I think we done as well as we could.

Cesc will be out for the whole season this time.

budesonide
23-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I think Scesney is a good keeper for his age . He is confident and never let a single mistake affect him . He is learning his trade . The way we defend let him down .But he will come very good and grow with years .

by that time, he will also become disillusioned with the shambles around him. Ask cesc. :)

Ollie the Optimist
23-05-2011, 05:45 PM
i remember the spuds game, if it werent for him, we would have lost heavily. dont think we should drop him, keep him as no 1 now unless he fucks up big time in which case drop him as per normal

Cripps_orig
23-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Has looked average to me but ive seen enough for him not to be sold like the other 2 should be.

Keep him but as number 2 and get in a top quality keeper this summer

Penguin
24-05-2011, 05:58 AM
He has done ok. He hasn't been world class but he hasn't exactly played badly either. Also as Alpha mentioned he doesn't let a mistake phase him, he forgets about it and gets on with it. That ability and his self confidence are vital traits for a keeper. IMO he has the potential to become world class, or at least a very good keeper.

We need to strengthen other areas of the pitch far more than the keeper position. Give Szcezney another season and see how he does. After all this was only his debut season. We'll be fine with Fabianski as back up too.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Has looked average to me but ive seen enough for him not to be sold like the other 2 should be.

Keep him but as number 2 and get in a top quality keeper this summer

Absolutely. This is just common sense. If we're going to seriously challenge then we need to be strong all over the pitch. There are threads suggesting we give Chamakh another season, give Wenger another season, get along with the CBs we already have, and also give a rookie the #1 shirt. These collective weak points add up. Maybe you can carry one weakness in the team, even two if the team as a whole is good enough (which we aren't), but several fundamental weaknesses? We all know what happens when you do that, we've seen it. I'm not referring to Chesney's ability as a weakness, merely his lack of experience. He plays in such a crucial position, he needs to do his time like any keeper who ever made it to the top. Bear in mind, we'll probably be partially carrying two rookies in the engine room as well, Wilshere and Ramsey. Fine players both but again, where's the experience?

Bergkampwonderland10
24-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd like us to buy Manuel Neuer and he and Szezney can battle it out for number 1, Fabianski can be back-up.

Marc Overmars
24-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Normally I'd agree with favouring experience but in the case of Chezza I really think he's ready now to nail down the number 1 spot for many years to come. I'd even say if we did buy a highly rated keeper, Chesney would have no qualms about leaving such is the character of the guy. Do we really want to risk losing him?

It's important to have a hierarchy though in the squad, players need to be put in their position, disciplined and have older heads to learn from. Most of these players wouldn't last one second if we had the likes of Bould, Adams, Keown, Parlour etc in their pomps here.

Instead we have a bunch of pretenders who think they're awesome and don't have anyone to tell them otherwise, when the reality is most of them have achieved nothing to date in their careers and probably aren't even respected by the majority of GHEL's that make up the Premier League.

Boss
24-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Chesney 1st, Fabianski 2nd, Lehmann 3rd.

Think that he's good enough, just needs a solid defense in front of him. Lehmann can act as a goalkeeping coach and backup as ours seem to suck. Almunia should be flogged to some 3rd division side.

Ollie the Optimist
24-05-2011, 01:10 PM
i think if Chesney were to be dropped in favour of a better keeper like nueuer etc, it would cause more harm to him then good. in his mind he believes he is the best in the world, yet unlike bentner he keeps that to himself! dropping him after what has been a dam good debut season in my mind, there have been some games where he has kept us in it, like spuds, even the barca home game! if he were dropped, he would want to leave, remember what he was like earlier in the season! if he were number 1 for the start of the season, fucked up a bit and was dropped for he would fight back, but dropping him now would do more harm i think

LDG
24-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes, he's going to make mistakes, and yes he is young....but every keeper will make a certain amount of errors per year. He won't do an Almunia. They guy has enough bloocks to be able to shake things like that off, and it won't destroy his confidence like it does Gomez, Green and Almunia.

We need strong personality, and he will only get better and better this lad.

And I think you'd find a keeper with a stronger defensive unit in front of him would do miles better, whoever you had between the sticks.

Flavs
24-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Chesney 1st, Fabianski 2nd, Lehmann 3rd.

Think that he's good enough, just needs a solid defense in front of him. Lehmann can act as a goalkeeping coach and backup as ours seem to suck. Almunia should be flogged to some 3rd division side.

not so much, nothing wrong with the coaches, you cant coach someone not to be a spaz.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, he's going to make mistakes, and yes he is young....but every keeper will make a certain amount of errors per year. He won't do an Almunia. They guy has enough bloocks to be able to shake things like that off, and it won't destroy his confidence like it does Gomez, Green and Almunia.

We need strong personality, and he will only get better and better this lad.

And I think you'd find a keeper with a stronger defensive unit in front of him would do miles better, whoever you had between the sticks.

Depends if we are serious about mounting a chellenge next year or not. If we're simply chasing a top 4 finish as normal then we could probably afford to carry Chesney as he learns his trade. If something wierd happens and we decide to compete, we'll need a top keeper.

Bergkampwonderland10
24-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Depends if we are serious about mounting a chellenge next year or not. If we're simply chasing a top 4 finish as normal then we could probably afford to carry Chesney as he learns his trade. If something wierd happens and we decide to compete, we'll need a top keeper.

:gp:

Penguin
24-05-2011, 05:33 PM
If we don't 'carry' Chesney we'll be carrying someone else anyway.

It's unrealistic talking about the likes of Neuer and other world class names. We need three or four other players including a striker, a midfielder(or two if Cesc leaves) and a CB. There's even a case for buying a new wide man especially if Arshavin goes. We can't afford to buy top players in all those positions and all of the proven keepers would take a HUGE chunk of the transfer kitty.

On top of that MO is dead right about the possibility of Chesney leaving if he is pushed back to 2nd place again. He even threatened to do so himself earlier this season!

Keep the faith in Chesney and keep a wise head like Jens in the squad or coaching staff to keep him in check.

Boss
24-05-2011, 05:48 PM
If we don't 'carry' Chesney we'll be carrying someone else anyway.

It's unrealistic talking about the likes of Neuer and other world class names. We need three or four other players including a striker, a midfielder(or two if Cesc leaves) and a CB. There's even a case for buying a new wide man especially if Arshavin goes. We can't afford to buy top players in all those positions and all of the proven keepers would take a HUGE chunk of the transfer kitty.

On top of that MO is dead right about the possibility of Chesney leaving if he is pushed back to 2nd place again. He even threatened to do so himself earlier this season!

Keep the faith in Chesney and keep a wise head like Jens in the squad or coaching staff to keep him in check.

this

Both De Gea and Neuer are supposed to be going for around 18M euros. With everything else we need to strengthen, don't think we can afford to drop that amount on a keeper.

Penguin
24-05-2011, 06:01 PM
And don't forget that Man Utd will be sniffing around for a replacement for Van der sar. The prices will go up that little bit more.

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 06:01 PM
this

Both De Gea and Neuer are supposed to be going for around 18M euros. With everything else we need to strengthen, don't think we can afford to drop that amount on a keeper.

Pretty much. We aint gonna sign a worldy if we signed any 'keeper it'd be Mark Schwarzer-esque and I'd rather stick with Chesney. Plus like as Marc Overmars; says we could lose him if he becomes no.2 and he could yet become a worldy so its not worth the risk imo.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Ah yes, I forgot. We need to pander to the players rather than build a winning team. Rookie keeper, rookie CBs, rookie midfielders and RvP. Should be enough to clinch the title.

Syn
24-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Ah yes, I forgot. We need to pander to the players rather than build a winning team. Rookie keeper, rookie CBs, rookie midfielders and RvP. Should be enough to clinch the title.

Stupid comment.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Stupid comment.

True, we have no chance of winning the title.

Penguin
24-05-2011, 06:12 PM
In case you forgot we aren't exactly sitting on a £500 billion summer war chest. The proven world class names will cost a bombshell and we wont have enough to strengthen on more important areas such as defence and our forward line. But yeah good in theory I guess.

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 06:13 PM

No but Chesney is a bit of a special case in as much as finding someone better will be hard and he isn't that bad, other areas need strengthening more.

Syn
24-05-2011, 06:17 PM
True, we have no chance of winning the title.

That's again not funny or clever. I suggest you read the discussion properly before weighing in.

budesonide
24-05-2011, 06:20 PM
No but Chesney is a bit of a special case in as much as finding someone better will be hard and he isn't that bad, other areas need strengthening more.

so was cesc, though. We pandered to him (not saying it was the wrong thing to do) and now he is not happy with the same system that gave him the chance (and i don't blame him either).

Maestro
24-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Have to agree with MO on this one, I don't want to take the risk with losing this one. Could be the one that got away, and I like the fact he is vocal and expressive. He is a good young keeper and again I allude to common consesus on here that with his emergence we've got more critical areas to firm up as a priority.

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 06:24 PM
so was cesc, though. We pandered to him (not saying it was the wrong thing to do) and now he is not happy with the same system that gave him the chance (and i don't blame him either).

Chesney is different though as there is no real viable alternative. He may improve, he may not at the moment though he is pretty average imo. I think we should give him the chance to improve because as I've said we won't sign anyone better because we can't.

Darth Vela
24-05-2011, 06:44 PM
He started quite well with a run of tight play at the back and looking like the best we've got but then things went a bit awry, dunno whether it was him looking shakier due to a drop in the level of the rest of the defence or vice-versa, I suspect it's half an half. Fabianski was looking good before his injury so as long as we invest in other positions around the GK (decent replacement for Clichy, re-inforce the midfield and maybe a new CB) I'm happy with him continuing as 1st choice (or dropping to 2nd if Fabianski gets a chance and takes it).

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 06:57 PM
That's again not funny or clever. I suggest you read the discussion properly before weighing in.

I've read the discussion and I already know what will happen if we try to wing another season with rookies in goal. So do you I suspect. Is Chesney really that good? No, not at the moment. Could he be good? Time will tell along with the experience time brings. As I've already said, if the full range of our ambition is to secure a CL spot then we might scrape by on talent alone minus the experience in the key areas of the team. If we want more than that we'll need the players to achieve it. Unless the suggestion is the lot we have right now are capable. Plainly they aren't. I'm assuming nobody missed the last 10 weeks of our season. Or the season before that, or the one before that and so on.

Maestro
24-05-2011, 06:59 PM
:popcorn:

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Have to agree with MO on this one, I don't want to take the risk with losing this one. Could be the one that got away, and I like the fact he is vocal and expressive. He is a good young keeper and again I allude to common consesus on here that with his emergence we've got more critical areas to firm up as a priority.

People said that about a striker last year, before it became painfully obvious we needed a striker. It took a solid three months of being berated in the "Striker needed", thread before it eventually became common knowledge we were lacking in that department. Lack of an experienced keeper (a decent keep of course) will hurt us next season just as it has all of the seasons before.

Maestro
24-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, if we had the money to bring in a top quality keeper, who is much better than what we have then fine. But we have the defence, defensive and offensive mid as well as striker problems to address which I personally think are more of a priority .....where the bulk of likely limited funds should be spent

...but if we are gonna do a City splurge, then hell yeah ..go for it, knock yourself Wenger go buy a £15M+ keeper

Marc Overmars
24-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't believe you need to have a household name as a keeper, someone adequate is good enough IMO. Almunia lost the plot, so it was never going to take a lot to be an improvement on him. As I said above, I'd favour experience every single time but in this case I believe Chesney is made of the right stuff and will be a very good keeper for us. I think our keeping situation is exacerbated because of how poor Almunia became, if you take him out of the equation, you will see that Fabianski was almost flawless during his 2 month run in the side and Chesney was generally consistent too.

Of course you can't ignore there garbage defending our keepers have to contend with in front of them as well.

We have issues in the side but I'm reasonably confident when I say the position of goal keeper has moved way down the 'to do' list.

budesonide
24-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, if we had the money to bring in a top quality keeper, who is much better than what we have then fine. But we have the defence, defensive and offensive mid as well as striker problems to address which I personally think are more of a priority .....where the bulk of likely limited funds should be spent

...but if we are gonna do a City splurge, then hell yeah ..go for it, knock yourself Wenger go buy a £15M+ keeper

But you see, next season, it shall so happen that his every cock-up will be severely punished by the opposition to the derailment of our objectives. Then come close season next year will be talking about why we had to rely on an untested kid in such an important area of the ptch.

The issue then is, why has wenger allowed this to become the state of the squad? In my opinion, the goalie position is not even an area where you actively try and develop a player from scratch (for a top club anyway).

Maestro
24-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Point taken but with a good defence in front of him and a team that puts in a shift when without the ball, I think he is good enough and it has been done before ...actively grooming a young keeper

On the current state of the squad and Wenger ...honest answer is I don't know why Wenger let it get to this, only he knows the full truth
But you see, next season, it shall so happen that his every cock-up will be severely punished by the opposition to the derailment of our objectives. Then come close season next year will be talking about why we had to rely on an untested kid in such an important area of the ptch.

The issue then is, why has wenger allowed this to become the state of the squad? In my opinion, the goalie position is not even an area where you actively try and develop a player from scratch (for a top club anyway).

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 07:28 PM
On the current state of the squad and Wenger ...honest answer is I don't know why Wenger let it get to this, only he knows the full truth

That's the real problem, years of neglect. That's why it seems such a bad idea to give the guy another year and potentially another three.

Darth Vela
24-05-2011, 07:33 PM
That's the real problem, years of neglect. That's why it seems such a bad idea to give the guy another year and potentially another three.

You think if we tread water for a 3rd year that they won't consider simply not offering him another extension? We're patient but we're not THAT patient.

Xhaka Can’t
24-05-2011, 07:36 PM
When the errors of the past are repeated next season, I doubt we'll be blaming playing an inexperienced keeper like Chesney. There are more experienced keepers about, but we have limited resources and a multitude of problems. Prioritising dealing with our problems is crucial if we are to progress. Im my opinion, we could get a keeper with tha qualities of Pat jennings, David Seaman and Jens Lehmann rolled in to one and he'd still look a mug behind our defence. So in the transfer window, we have bigger priorities than a new keeper. Lets sort them out and if there are still resources available for better than we have in goal, by all means improve that position then.

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 07:36 PM
You think if we tread water for a 3rd year that they won't consider simply not offering him another extension? We're patient but we're not THAT patient.

As long as we're in the top 4 he'll be offered an extension

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 07:38 PM
When the errors of the past are repeated next season, I doubt we'll be blaming playing an inexperienced keeper like Chesney. There are more experienced keepers about, but we have limited resources and a multitude of problems. Prioritising dealing with our problems is crucial if we are to progress. Im my opinion, we could get a keeper with tha qualities of Pat jennings, David Seaman and Jens Lehmann rolled in to one and he'd still look a mug behind our defence. So in the transfer window, we have bigger priorities than a new keeper. Lets sort them out and if there are still resources available for better than we have in goal, by all means improve that position then.

The keeper situation has always been exaggerated because of the shit defence. Sort out the defence and having an average keeper (what I think Chesney is atm) won't be a huge issue. Improve the attack and conceding goals won't be as costly.

Maestro
24-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Even though I want him gone, I'm as baffled as the next fan as to why he's neglected evident promlems year after year and then top it off with some poor signings ...I mean did he really think Squillaci was a good player and Alumina was good enough to retain as our #1? Seriously?

There is something seriously wrong he's not telling us or this guy is just not good enough anymore and the game has passed him by. I mean right now if you gave me a choice between Zimm and Wenger I'd go Zimm anytime, I don't Zimm would take shit from players and he wouldn't buy shit players ....okay okay I shouldn't smoke before I type, but do you get where I'm coming from

I feel really sad for his seemingly impending demise, once a very good manager ...and an even greater mental patient

R.I.P

:rose:

Arsene Wenger

budesonide
24-05-2011, 07:43 PM

The keeper situation has always been exaggerated because of the shit defence. Sort out the defence and having an average keeper (what I think Chesney is atm) won't be a huge issue. Improve the attack and conceding goals won't be as costly.

One wouldn't be overstating the importance of cech,van de sar,valdes,cassillas etc. to their teams though? In my opinion Gomes was the difference between us and the spuds this season.

Maestro
24-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Keeper's a crucial component of the spine of any good team, VDS, Cech, then a commander in the centre of defense, Ferdinand, Terry, a conductor in the middle, Scholes, Lampard, and a go-to guy up front, (Man Utd were struggling until the Mexican arrived), Drog. We can buy utility and pack it around a jellied spine and see how we go or we can start the job of rebuilding properly. I'd rather see the latter, it gets us where we want to go sooner and with fewer false starts.

Anyway, it'll be Chesney, TV and JD, Jack and Aaron (bless) and RvP for some of the season with that Moroccan guy on cover. Wenger will probably buy a tippy-tapdancer for the midfield, if that. Probably enough to keep our hopes alive until the real business begins.