PDA

View Full Version : Name one place in London...

Xhaka Can’t
30-06-2011, 12:09 AM
...you'd take a tourist to, where would it be?

I'm looking for ideas a bit outside the box, and am interested in some gems that wouldn't immediately spring to mind.

Coney
30-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Greenwich. Nice area, Observatory, park, maritime museum, cutty sark, victorian foot tunnel under the thames, some decent restaurants/bistros.

When I had to do a quick 'tour of London' for people, I had a walk to cover most of the traditional image sites. Some are good, some are crap, but they are the kind of thing that you need to say you saw. So the walk started at Picadilly Circus (crap, of course), Haymarket to Trafalgar Square, then down the Mall to Buckingham Palace, back through St James' Park to Horse Guards, round the back to Parliament square, quick peek at Downing street and then Westminster tube it to Tower Hill so they can see the Tower and Tower Bridge. That covers the main stuff. Specials needing more time are St Paul's which is pretty neat. But as a one-off, I still like Greenwich.

Letters
30-06-2011, 08:23 AM
St Paul's is bloody expensive <_<
MrsL and me went the first time she came (stop it) to see me for a weekend.
Very impressive building though and you can see The Emirates from the top. :d

I like the sort of walk Coney outlines, there's not loads to see really but there's a nice buzz about the place.

Coney
30-06-2011, 08:35 AM
If I had visitors for a few days, I'd do the walk on the first day to just get all that stuff out of the way. When I lived in London I had two favourite walks I would do if I just needed to get away for a few hours. One was to start at the Tate Gallery (the REAL one near Pimlico) admire the Turners and stuff and then just basically follow the Thames to the Embankment. The other was to take what was then called 'The North London Line' (now 'Silverlink' I think?) from Dalston or Highbury&Islington and to Richmond (shares the line from Gunnersbury to Richmond with the District Line). At Richmond, I'd cross the fields to the Thames and then walk back towards Kew Gardens, spend some time there and then return via Kew Gardens station. As long as you can ignore the bloody planes, it's a lovely place.

Letters
30-06-2011, 08:44 AM
A walk along the South Bank is always worthwhile.

Nozza!
30-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Oi, geezer, get a Thames Clipper Rover ticket for the day - it connects up all the suggestions above and the Thames is the essence of London...

Museum of London Docklands is also good, as is Borough Market and Colombia Road market on a Sunday...

Pubs Lamb and Flag, Famous Angel or any Wetherspoons...

Nozza!
30-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Oi, swede muncher, that's the Overground now...if you go south from Highbury and Islington to New Cross you go through the Brunel Tunnel...Victorian Engineeringtastic...

Marc Overmars
30-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Hampstead Heath is nice, some very nice views of the city.

Coney
30-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Hampstead Heath is nice, some very nice views of the city.

Yeah - the view from Primrose Hill is neat. :good:

PGFC
30-06-2011, 02:49 PM
St Paul's is bloody expensive <_<
MrsL and me went the first time she came (stop it) to see me for a weekend.
Very impressive building though and you can see The Emirates from the top. :d

I like the sort of walk Coney outlines, there's not loads to see really but there's a nice buzz about the place.

You should just tell them you're visiting one of the many chapels (we always pay a visit to the Middlesex regiment chapel) you'll usually be excused...

Chrissie
30-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd take them to Camden.

GP
30-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd take them up the Arsenal

:)

PGFC
30-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Kew gardens, by boat from Westminster pier is best :good:

LDG
30-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Tea!! With The Queen!

IBK
30-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Highgate Cemetary - then you can do Dartmouth Park (great views from top), and into Highgate for a drink at the Flask (oldest pub in London).

Maorigooner
30-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Up to Bricklane market early on a sunday morning, fresh bagels and coffee, followed by a walk through the market, a quick spit in the face of any fucktard selling the British bulldog, make your way down to bethnal green for a lunch time pint down by the lock, back to bricklane for one of the finest curries maorikind has ever tasted. Then an evening in the comedy club around the corner...tourist-tastic mate!!!

Chrissie
30-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Up to Bricklane market early on a sunday morning, fresh bagels and coffee, followed by a walk through the market, a quick spit in the face of any fucktard selling the British bulldog, make your way down to bethnal green for a lunch time pint down by the lock, back to bricklane for one of the finest curries maorikind has ever tasted. Then an evening in the comedy club around the corner...tourist-tastic mate!!!

My ideal day. I love the bagels and the curry

LDG
30-06-2011, 03:53 PM

That sounds awesome.

Gary. Can I come?

dazthegooner
30-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Berm-on-sea lovely place :unsure:

Cripps_orig
30-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Westfields in Stratford.

Biggest shopping centre in Europe

Japan Shaking All Over
30-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Richmond is nice
little shopping town.......pubs near the river and if you can make it up to the park.....well worthwhile, best if you could go by car cos you could drive around until you find a spot

they have a Botanic Gardens in there......Kew is good too though

McNamara That Ghost...
30-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Letters' flat.

:good:

Master Splinter
30-06-2011, 06:28 PM
That Costcutters opposite the Emirates.

Then Letters' flat.

Coney
30-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Letters' flat.

:good:

Well, I wouldn't go that far but he is certainly short.

isv
30-06-2011, 11:31 PM
SoHo and dont forget a pocket full of pound coins....

Letters
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
SoHo and dont forget a pocket full of pound coins....

They have fruit machines? :unsure:

Coney
01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I've certainly seen a lot of fruits round there.