PDA

View Full Version : cesc goes - who is captain?

Ollie the Optimist
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
not sure i have seen this discussed but if it has been apologies for another thread.

so cesc is off meaning we need a captain, who do you think it should be? RVP would be a good choice as he is a leader but then his injury might hold it against him.
what about tommy v? leader as well, would be my choice to replace cesc as always leads from the front and gets stuck in, doesnt seem afraid to shout either.

two outside choices for me though would be sagna, always gives 100%, always running, always present and seems a popular memeber of the squad, only reservation would be he might be a bit quiet like cesc was/is.
the second outside choice for me would be Chesney. might seem controversial as some think he shouldnt be number 1 but at the moment he is. he was always shouting at the players, keeping them going, we could see his passion and that he was a leader as such, he is like crazy jens in that sense but could be a good captain but perhaps too young to be and a bit inexperienced overall but if he was, you know he would give bollockings as needed.

also if cesc stays, which is possible, would you sack him as captain?

The Verminator
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
RVP for sure, and I wouldn't sack Cesc as it would do more harm than good.

Marc Overmars
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
It will be RVP. He'd probably make a better captain than Cesc anyway.

Ollie the Optimist
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
RVP for sure, and I wouldn't sack Cesc as it would do more harm than good.

hmm but has the club captain not done a lot of harm this summer? not quite sure where i stand on it. imo he hasnt been a great captain on the pitch but then we dont want him to sulk until he is sold in a year.

Ollie the Optimist
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
It will be RVP. He'd probably make a better captain than Cesc anyway.

who would you have as vice then? lets face RVP wont be playing every game

milla
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM

TV5 or Nasri. :coffee:

Marc Overmars
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't know and don't care really.

Much like Wenger.

Boss
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Eboue

Cripps_orig
02-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Whoever the next decent player we have that wants to leave

milla
02-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Eboue

As long as he stays on bench. :coffee:

The Verminator
02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Verms for Vice

Japan Shaking All Over
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
RvP as I have said before, cos he has balls and is not afraid to mix it up and lead by example

Verms is another close choice, more steady and cool than Robin

apart from that thetes no one in the squad, except say Jack, too young but one for the future, that is unlesd hes trying to run his contract down!

Xhaka Can’t
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
That depends on who is left.

So, unless he states a desire to leave, Carl jenkinson.

Master Splinter
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Szczesny is the only option.

Niall_Quinn
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
RvP, I would think he'll be the next to leave after another bland season in 2011/12. Then TV, unless we sign somebody decent who wants to leave after a few months. Then Jack, who will be leaving around 2012/13.

Ollie the Optimist
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

i dont think he would be that bad an option

Niall_Quinn
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
i dont think he would be that bad an option

Sometimes I can't tell when people are being serious or having a laugh.

Coney
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Seriously? OK. But I would prefer not to have a keeper as captain. I think it is better if the captain is central defence or midfield as he can drive the team better from there to show leadership on the pitch to all. Vermaelen for me.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-08-2011, 10:30 PM
OK so our Loverly Captain has Gone, who will be captain. Rvp, been the Obvious choice and been talked about all summer, so knowing Wenger he'll give the armand to song.

Özim
14-08-2011, 10:32 PM
The team has no leaders, at a stretch RVP simply because he seems to love the club.

Marc Overmars
14-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Has to be RVP given that he is vice anyway.

This will also start the countdown on RVP's career with us as well.

RVP. :rose:

Ironing
14-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Let's give it to Almunia, then maybe he'll actually finally leave?

KSE Comedy Club
14-08-2011, 10:59 PM
It should be Vermaelen, without doubt.

But it will be given to RVP.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Is it compulsory to have a captain? It's a curse, why would we give it to anyone? Give it to Chamakh, definitely give it to him.

RomfordPele
14-08-2011, 11:02 PM
It doesn't make much odds to me - they're all mercenaries waiting for their next pay day.

Give it to Gunnersaurus, at least he cares about the club.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:03 PM
It doesn't make much odds to me - they're all mercenaries waiting for their next pay day.

Give it to Gunnersaurus, at least he cares about the club.

He's gone as part of the Eboue deal.

Elreactor
14-08-2011, 11:15 PM

TV5 :bow:

But be careful, both RvP and TV may be the next ones leaving.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Can see it now Nasri gets the Armband then in signs a new deal, they we'd have another saga of our best player and captain wanting to leave, No thank you.
might as well give it to sagna or TV 5 or RVP.

Not sure giving RVP the armband is the best move strikers don't make the best captains.

Boss
14-08-2011, 11:27 PM
The armband is worthless in this team so doesn't really matter who gets it.

Give it to Frimpong, tbh.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Can see it now Nasri gets the Armband then in signs a new deal, they we'd have another saga of our best player and captain wanting to leave, No thank you.
might as well give it to sagna or TV 5 or RVP.

Not sure giving RVP the armband is the best move strikers don't make the best captains.

That would be such a terrible idea I can see it happening.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Marvin Martin should get it.

Or Vela.

fakeyank
15-08-2011, 03:30 AM
F U to all who want RVP captain! Every c*nt that is made captain leaves the club... lets make Squillaci captain from the bench.. Allah knows how badly I want this geriatric part deux to leave the club!

BTW where is the first geriatric of the club? Is he still playing football? Or has he joined the Bangladesh kabbadi team?

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Squillaci wasn't on the bench yesterday, so it will be hard for him to shout orders tbh.

Silvestre you mean? He's still at Werder Bremen I think. Or he may have joined the Pakistani kabaddi team.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-08-2011, 07:10 AM
We'll know come 10:30 when AW gives his press confrence

RomfordPele
16-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Confirmed as RVP.

Wrong choice, but predictable from a manager who's been making the wrong choices for more than half a decade now.

isv
16-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Confirmed as RVP.

Wrong choice, but predictable from a manager who's been making the wrong choices for more than half a decade now.

As with the last 3 captains, he will bugger off next summer too.. It's only an armband, we should have 11 captains out there, each shouting at their teammates when they fuck up, do well or just need a kick up the arris...

LDG
16-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Should have been TV5. Ah well. At least Robin doesn't mind having a go at our lads....gave Diaby a right kicking last season apparently.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Confirmed as RVP.

Yep should have gone to TV5 but i suppose him being the Longest player at the club makes sense.

Xhaka Can’t
16-08-2011, 01:23 PM
There are cases to be made for both Van Persie and Vermalaen. I have no problems with Wenger's choice.

Ollie the Optimist
16-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Confirmed as RVP.

why wrong choice? whats your reasoning behind that?
imo its the right choice, he leads by example, shouts at players and is a big presence on the pitch. he fights till the whistle and odesnt give up

Olivier's xmas twist
16-08-2011, 01:25 PM
following the departure of Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona. "He is a leader through the way he plays, through his attitude and through his desire to win," says Gunners boss Arsene Wenger. "He's been at the Club a long time and he's a technical leader as well. Thomas Vermaelen will assist him, it's the decision I have made and I'm confident the group will respond to it

TV 5 is vice Captain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/9565546.stm

Olivier's xmas twist
16-08-2011, 01:27 PM
why wrong choice?whats your reasoning behind that?
imo its the right choice, he leads by example, shouts at players and is a big presence on the pitch. he fights till the whistle and odesnt give up

Strikers never make good captains just look at TH14, no point having him as captain when his head will be turned come next may and we still ahve not sorted his contract out.

Ollie the Optimist
16-08-2011, 01:27 PM
apparently wenger hadnt given the captaincy any thought last week.

wengers smokescreens :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
16-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Strikers never make good captains just look at TH14, no point having him as captain when his head will be turned come next may and we still ahve not sorted his contract out.

there is no logic behind that statement whatsoever. your reasoning behind not wanting him is that he will be swayed by money and fuck off?

LDG
16-08-2011, 01:29 PM
This could be an awesome debate between Ollie and Charlie.

Xhaka Can’t
16-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Two of GW's heavyweights, slugging it out, toe to toe! :popcorn:

Olivier's xmas twist
16-08-2011, 01:36 PM
there is no logic behind that statement whatsoever. your reasoning behind not wanting him is that he will be swayed by money and fuck off?

No my reason of not wating him is because, he'd does not play a full season, and i think a strijer should worry about his job not everything behind him.

I just rather we gave it to a defender, but i understand why AW gave it to RVP.

RomfordPele
16-08-2011, 01:36 PM
why wrong choice? whats your reasoning behind that?

Simple really. He's a striker. I don't think strikers make good captains.

I can see why he's done it, but the choice for me would be TV5.

Ollie the Optimist
16-08-2011, 01:39 PM
No my reason of not wating him is because, he'd does not play a full season, and i think a strijer should worry about his job not everything behind him.

I just rather we gave it to a defender, but i understand why AW gave it to RVP.

the injury argument is just as valid with Tv5, he played one game last year i think and didnt complete whole season before that.
i know bergkamp wasnt a fulltime captain but he did a great job when asked too cos of injuries etc and so has RVP everytime he has captained the side for me. he knows the club, and he was the only one bar jack and ches last year to fight till the end

fakeyank
16-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Nice. Now RVP will F off in the summer. Shouldve made Squid captain or Vela

Letters
16-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice. Now RVP will F off in the summer. Shouldve made Squid captain or Vela

This isn't the Defence Against the Dark Arts teaching position at Hogwarts :doh:

Injury Time
16-08-2011, 03:11 PM
This isn't the Defence Against the Dark Arts teaching position at Hogwarts :doh:
Racist :sulk:

Boss
16-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Agreed.

Much less drama when one of them left.

fakeyank
16-08-2011, 03:14 PM

What does this mean? Never saw or read any of the crap book/movie..

Letters
16-08-2011, 03:30 PM
What does this mean? Never saw or read any of the crap book/movie..

That's a banning <_<

RvP shouldn't be captain 'cos
1) He's always broken
2) He's a striker and it's generally not a good position for a captain
3) TV5 is a better option, as is Wilshere IMO.

But he's not going to leave because he's been made captain.

Niall_Quinn
16-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Silly analogy, can't see how defence of any sort is relevant to our club.

Letters
16-08-2011, 03:45 PM
:rimshot:

<_<

Niall_Quinn
16-08-2011, 03:54 PM
:rimshot:

<_<

Your whole head is made of poo :p

Syn
16-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I am as synical as it gets when it comes to judging player loyalty, but I genuinely believe that if rvp wanted to fuck off this summer, he would have had no problems finding a top club after the 19 goals in 19 games or whatever it was.

I'm not disappointed in the decision but my choice would have been wilshere. It is up to van Persie to show the armband isn't meaningless - he starts with a clean slate for me.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-08-2011, 05:08 PM
1500: FOOTBALL: Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere on Twitter: "Congrats to @Persie_Official for getting the captaincy! Great leader and someone who i have the utmost respect for!"

Jack tweets for his captan

1425: FOOTBALL - New Arsenal captain Robin van Persie says he is ready for the challenge that lies ahead. "I've been in the game now for more than 10 years, so I know how this world works," the Dutchman tells the Arsenal website. "When I was 18 I didn't have a clue! But now I know how things work and I understand that certain actions have consequences. I feel ready for this."

Özim
16-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I'd be tempted to find a mouse on the street, stick it in the team and give it the armband.

Reckon it would make a better leader than anyone we currently have.

Cripps_orig
16-08-2011, 05:16 PM
So Vermaelen is captain for most of the season then?

milla
16-08-2011, 05:19 PM
So Vermaelen is captain for most of the season then?

van Persie :coffee:

Cripps_orig
16-08-2011, 05:24 PM
van Persie :coffee:

He'll hardly play