PDA

View Full Version : The bare minimum this summer

AKBapologist
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
What would the bare minimum for you be, in terms of performance in transfer market this season?

After faffing around, being stingy and showing our hand at a number of now failed transfers (samba, cahill, dann, alvarez, falcao etc etc) alone with many of our *stars* agitating to leave, the summer at one stage which seemed to hit the reset button on our fortunes now seems to be following a predictable narrative of differing, bloodlyminded thriftyness growing fan outrage.

I'm asking myself what the minimum for this season will be, and what I'll do if it's not met.

1) Minimum.
Cesc not to be sold for less than £50mill
Nasri not to be sold for less than £20mil

Squillaci, Bendtner and Denilson to no longer be on our payroll.

A new top tier (value roughly +20mill) striker
A new top tier winger
A new EPL Center back
A new top tier DM
A new top tier left back

Additional departures (eg Arshavin) to be replaced by talented (young, raw, foreign, French or otherwise) players purchased from other clubs.

Progress so far? Gervinho either fits the striker or winger role

2) Action to take if minimum requirements aren't met?
Will loan my silver membership to someone else
I will not spend (directly, may retain sky sports sub) any money on supporting my club beyond the following:
I will march in any and all marches against the club next season
I will take any and all opportunities to voice the opinion that the Manager, Ivan Gladis and the Board should go.

The Verminator
02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Beer, barbeques and bonking.

Cripps_orig
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Get a new spine in

A world class keeper
A commanding CB
A CM who can run games
A CF who can score 30 a season

Boss
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
We've discussed this hundreds of times IMO.

We all know what needs to happen, and we all know what will happen.

Need at least 4-5 genuine world class / top level players + Cesc and Nasri staying, can't see us signing more than one (and even that one is difficult to imagine).

Newguy
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
We've discussed this hundreds of times IMO.

We all know what needs to happen, and we all know what will happen.

Need at least 4-5 genuine world class / top level players + Cesc and Nasri staying, can't see us signing more than one (and even that one is difficult to imagine).

Spot on, it's old news now and it's becoming tiresome. This club seems to be in turmoil atm and all I hear from Wenger is that he doesnt want to be rushed on strengthening. :banghead:

Özim
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
The bare minimum would have been getting a new manager who understands what's needed and isn't scared to buy world class players, I would also says getting players in as quickly as possible was a requirement

We haven't got a new manager and I doubt very much we'll be seeing any world class players, we haven't signed anyone but some kid either and apparently we now have to go through a "waiting period".

The saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks is very apt here.

AKBapologist
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
And what are you going to do about it?

Boss
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Post frantically on GW and send hate mail to Letters.

Özim
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Going to buy an old dog and try and teach it new tricks to see if it's possible.

Will come back with my findings.

Joker
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
In an ideal world:

Wenger to leave

Players to leave: Cesc, Nasri, Bendtner, Denilson, Diaby, Squillaci, Almunia, Eboue, Clichy, Chamakh

Replaced by top quality, experienced footballers who preferably have Champion's League experience and have played at least 2 seasons in the top division of their domestic league. The focus should be on:

2 Centre Backs
1 Wide Midfielder
3 Central Midfielders (1 should be world class who should be the fulcrum of the team, the other 2 should be quality, dependable players who can compete with Ramsey and Song for places in the midfield)
1 Goalkeeper
1 Left Back
1 Striker

Suggested names: Cahill, Samba, Baines, Lee Chung Young, Eriksen, Al Habsi, Mata.

Japan Shaking All Over
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by AKBapologist

Post frantically on GW and send hate mail to Letters.

post frantically to Letters and send hate mail to GW

Niall_Quinn
02-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Get a new spine in

A world class keeper
A commanding CB
A CM who can run games
A CF who can score 30 a season

Way, way too obvious and it also runs the risk of working. We'd certainly be in danger of winning something and it would send all the wrong signals to the players who want to leave. FFS they might actually agree to stay!

I think what we should do is get a few kids in, buy a couple of untested foreigners with potential and train them up for a move to Barca, make a lot of noises about dumping the crap at the club but end up keeping them, ensure we get a low fee for our captain, let our best players go to our main rivals and then make bold statements about winning the league. This hasn't worked in prior years but I'm confident it will work this time around.

Niall_Quinn
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM

I think I'll probably rant and rave on GW - what else can you do as a fan these days?

Master Splinter
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Players to leave: Cesc, Nasri, Bendtner, Denilson, Diaby, Squillaci, Almunia, Eboue, Clichy, Chamakh

:yikes:

No RVP?

Marc Overmars
02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
A striker

One that is able to make an impact despite maybe not playing every game