PDA

View Full Version : News Of The World No More

Master Splinter
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Sunday's NOTW will be the last one ever.

News of the World to close amid hacking scandal

This Sunday's issue of the News of the World will be the last edition of the paper, News International chairman James Murdoch has said.

In the past few days, claims have been made that the paper authorised hacking into the mobile phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, the families of 7/7 bombing victims and bereaved military families.

Sky News said proceeds from the paper's last edition would be given to good causes.

In a statement made to staff, Mr Murdoch said the good things the News of the World does "have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong - indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our company".

"The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself."

He went on: "In 2006, the police focused their investigations on two men. Both went to jail. But the News of the World and News International failed to get to the bottom of repeated wrongdoing that occurred without conscience or legitimate purpose.

"Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued.

"As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter.

"We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences. This was not the only fault.

"The paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. This was wrong."

"The company paid out-of-court settlements approved by me. I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret."

He reiterated that the company was fully co-operating with the two ongoing police investigations.

Labour MP Tom Watson told Sky News it was "a victory for decent people up and down the land, and I say good riddance to the News of the World".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

:haha:

:pal:

etc.

168 years of quality journalism :rose:

I suspect it will return as Bulletins Of The Universe in a few months though.

Kaiser
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
There are suggestions that the Sun staff have been told to prepare for a 7-day operation. I'm sure there are at least a few innocent staff members at the NOTW, and they'll lose their jobs due to the mistakes of others, while Rebekah Brooks gets to keep her job, as will many of the others at News International.

And this is just a token gesture as you say, obviously Cameron and Hunt will now say action has been taken and the BSkyB takeover will eventually happen. Murdoch has basically streamlined his operation and saved cash. He's not gonna close down a paper which made £800m just last year.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
revenue from last editon to go to good causes........cant see much coming from that

Shaqiri Is Boss
07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The Sun on Sunday.

Nothing will change.

Murdoch is and will remain untouchable.

Coney
07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
The Sun on Sunday.

Nothing will change.

Murdoch is and will remain untouchable.

See the 'Stupid Right Wing Press' thread.

@Mods - maybe merge these.

Rors
07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
If Help For Heroes hadn't pulled out, then I reckon NOTW would still be walking. Not even they - after all the "WE BACK OUR BOYS!" crap - could go on after that. Nobody should see this though as Murdoch having a sudden attack of the morals. All eyes on Hunt now...

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Vince Cable was right after all.

Rors
07-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Vince Cable was right after all.
Still waiting for him to exercise his "nuclear option"...

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
He isn't on QT tonight is he? I'd imagine he would start with a maniacal laugh.

Rors
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
He isn't on QT tonight is he? I'd imagine he would start with a maniacal laugh.

Williams is the Lib Dem (SDP :haha: :pal: ) representative. John Gaunt as well, that should be fun.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Interesting. I suspect if this hadn't happened today the main question would've been: Should the NoTW close down? Now the question will be: Was it the right decision for the NoTW to shut down?

:lol:

Master Splinter
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
He isn't on QT tonight is he?

Hugh Grant is though!

Rors
07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hugh Grant is though!

Makes sense, as I doubt SKY will have him back after this one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkB0P30HJE&feature=player_embedded

Olivier's xmas twist
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Interesting. I suspect if this hadn't happened today the main question would've been: Should the NoTW close down? Now the question will be: Was it the right decision for the NoTW to shut down?

lol

Coney
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM

.. which is better, of course. Instead of big moral sparring about how NOTW is bad and should be closed down, it will be about just how cynical Int News are being by doing it, which is a much more juicy and productive bit of stirring.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Hugh Grant's reaction when Gaunt said The Sun is a quality paper. :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
07-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Hugh Grant is spot on.

Coney
07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Hugh Grant is spot on.

Normally can't stand him but tonight he was very good.

Rors
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Hugh Grant's hour long audition for the role of Hugh Grant in his next 'movie' was not bad at all. Gaunt :haha:

Toronto Gooner
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have a link to the Grant interview? I would love to watch it.

The thoughts that come to mind here are:

Does anyone really think that this was restricted to the NOTW?

Would anyone really have worried if the hacking had not involved the murdered teenager and dead soldiers' families?

Will the public enquiries actually be able to find the real culprits because it is clear that once again it is looking like the minions are going to be thrown to the wolves while the big guys insulate themselves?

Slacker
09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Didn't see it myself but this is a clip from the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012hfpq/Question_Time_07_07_2011/

Slacker
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry not sure that link will work - it's the whole show and the Beeb are a bit funny about content licencing, but give it a go.

Coney
09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Hugh Grant's hour long audition for the role of Hugh Grant in his next 'movie' was not bad at all. Gaunt :haha:

Well he won't get the part. Pretty well every film he does needs him to be the bungling sad Englishmen who despite being a useless tosser pulls the top totty. Chick flick material.

Toronto Gooner
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry not sure that link will work - it's the whole show and the Beeb are a bit funny about content licencing, but give it a go.
Thanks.

Master Splinter
09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Hugh Grant has already played the PM tbf in Love Actually.

Anyone see Steve Coogan versus Some Moron from the NOTW on Newsnight?

Coogan had murder in his eyes.

Toronto Gooner
09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Hugh Grant has already played the PM tbf in Love Actually.
And did a better job there than any of the recent British prime ministers or the current Canadian prime minister.

Xhaka Can’t
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't forget the muppet you wanted for PM that has his party a distant third.

Harper rules ok.

Rors
10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Good to see Mirror Group pulling out the stops to win over the 7million readers now up for grabs. You would think with one tabloid down, they might try and stop treating 'the working clarrses' with contempt and patronisation, and actually take this chance to focus on real issues...

'WE WANT THREE KIDS' - The People
'DON'T GO BACK CHERYL' -Sunday Mirror

Depressing...

Xhaka Can’t
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
The most depressing aspect of it all is that people buy this shit.

V-Pig
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Anyone who buys NotW today is gonna get hunted down and punched by me. I did it to a stoned hippy at Glasto, I'll do it again.

The Wengerbabies
10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Anyone who buys NotW today is gonna get hunted down and punched by me. I did it to a stoned hippy at Glasto, I'll do it again.

You heartless bastard the money from todays sales is going to good causes (Murdoch :bow: always thinking of the needy).

I've never bought NotW before but will make sure I get my souvenir copy later today.

Chrissie
10-07-2011, 05:47 PM
The staff had their parting shot. I like this lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013133/Rebekah-Brooks-News-World-staff-parting-shot-crossword.html#ixzz1RisnPCnn

Coney
10-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Hang on - why were you reading the Daily Heil, aka "The paper that supported Hitler" ? :sulk:

V-Pig
10-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Can't stand this bullshit from ex-hacks looking for sympathy. Hope they all get AIDS.

Chrissie
10-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Hang on - why were you reading the Daily Heil, aka "The paper that supported Hitler" ? :sulk:

Nothing sinister, just got it off another site but it made me chuckle, as a lot of things do :lol:

Boss
10-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Can't stand this bullshit from ex-hacks looking for sympathy. Hope they all get AIDS.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/gallery/haters-gonna-hate/haters-gonna-hate-black-kid.jpg

tbh

The Wengerbabies
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
The great man Rupert Mudoch has flown in, exclusive footage of his arrival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn94j5F5YLc

:lol: @ the pope's arrival to the UK is on the 'related videos' section.

Coney
10-07-2011, 09:41 PM
All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet.

GP
10-07-2011, 09:43 PM
All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet.

How many assholes we got on this ship anyhow?

V-Pig
11-07-2011, 07:29 AM
I bet she gives great helmet.

Coney
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
How many assholes we got on this ship anyhow?

You went over my helmet?

Letters
11-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Bring it on :coffee:

In 200 years my edition of the last ever copy of the NoTW will be worth a fortune :cool:

GP
11-07-2011, 09:42 AM
You went over my helmet?

Not exactly over, more to the side...

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Dear me, what's that climbing down her nose?

Coney
11-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Bring it on :coffee:

In 200 years my edition of the last ever copy of the NoTW will be worth a fortune :cool:

Along with the other 100,000 copies. Could be worth more than 50p.

Coney
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
And it goes ever onward....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14105225

News of the World e-mails uncovered by News International in 2007 contained evidence that the Sunday newspaper was paying a Royal Protection Officer for the contact details of senior members of the royal family, their friends and their relations.

According to a source, the e-mails include requests by a reporter for sums of about £1,000 to pay police officers in the royal protection branch for the information.

The Wengerbabies
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
And it goes ever onward....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14105225

:yawn: will this story ever go away. Its not like they killed anybody but I guess this is the BBC and other outlets trying to destroy Murdoch due to jealousy.

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish, NOTW is dead, long live the Sunday Sun. Murdoch is a clever old bastard really, an evil cunt but clever nonetheless. It's funny watching the politicians desperately trying to spit his dick out, some have even claimed that okay, they sucked, but they never swallowed. Bullshit, they're all as bad as each other. And it would be silly to assume Murdoch's gang is the only guilty party here, the evidence tells us the whole of the media is involved, the politicians are involved and the police are up to their fucking ears in it. In other words, the British establishment has been exposed as a collection of lying, criminal sacks of shit - again and as usual. Now let the cover-up and scapegoating begin so the status quo can be maintained. I suppose the fact the government invades privacy by spying on its citizens daily isn't worth a mention? Hypocrites and cunts the lot of them, will we ever be rid of them? As it is we'll have to put up with just a few heads on the block (revolving door policy), the workers paying the real price and the continued pretence the government and media genuinely give a flying fuck about missing kids or dead soldiers - beyond the PR value they can extract or the mock sympathy they can apply to add a thin coating of humanity to their otherwise crude animal forms. It's all a fucking sham, a hallucination, a very British farce. Ongoing in every aspect of life.

Coney
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
There certainly seem to be a lot of crocodile tears. Too many references to Dowler and the soldiers from many sides taking, as you say, mock horror at the hacker's hackings. The fact is that the met, the politicians and the hacks knew what was going on but played the convenient game. It remains to be seen how much things can be improved but without the minimum of an immediate judicial review of several items - how ALL papers have been getting their information, which officers and how high up did the backhanders for info go, how much the politicians have bent under pressure from News International, etc., plus why have the police not gone straight into the NOTW and NI offices to take control of all computers, files and the like before NI trash stuff. Mind you, they have had so long already, if they haven't already deleted or burned everything by now, then they are truly thick.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Rupert Murdoch in front of the hacking scandal committee

sounds as drunk as a skunk, cant understand a bloody word........keeps banging the table more than anything else

Japan Shaking All Over
19-07-2011, 03:57 PM
somebody just ran in and tried to attack Rupert Murdoch hahaha!

Master Splinter
19-07-2011, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqddJgY21wY

:haha:

:bow:

Murdoch's wife with a Mega-Slap on the attacker :lol:.

Master Splinter
19-07-2011, 04:43 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef014e89f753d8970d-640wi

Xhaka Can’t
19-07-2011, 05:34 PM
The least significant event of the day, but guess what will take up the lion's share of the 'news' bulletins?

Niall_Quinn
19-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I wonder what the hell this Murdoch business is really about? Is somebody making a move on him? I know who my money would be on to win that encounter. I suppose one good thing to come out of the whole affair is exposure of the British establishment and the corporations, any cunt who still believes what they read in the papers or watch on TV or believes the government serves the people wants shooting really.

Ollie the Optimist
19-07-2011, 07:02 PM
i swear neither brooks or both murdochs know anything about their company?

Injury Time
19-07-2011, 07:05 PM
i swear neither brooks or both murdochs know anything about their company?
So they got to you already? :console:

Ollie the Optimist
19-07-2011, 07:06 PM
So they got to you already? :console:

oh i know they were lying through their teeth but as vpig said on twitter, (i think it was him) it seems the perfect job, get paid and know fuck all :lol:

Cripps_orig
19-07-2011, 07:16 PM
it seems the perfect job, get paid and know fuck all :lol:They seem to have a lot in common with Wenger :coffee:

fakeyank
19-07-2011, 07:39 PM
They seem to have a lot in common with Wenger :coffee:

Coney
19-07-2011, 07:44 PM
somebody just ran in and tried to attack Rupert Murdoch hahaha!

Don't need idiots doing that. He was on the ropes - time to sit back and leave him suffering, not distract from attempts to nail him.

Master Splinter
19-07-2011, 07:52 PM
They seem to have a lot in common with Wenger :coffee:

Credit to him for hoodwinking the football world for over 20 years :coffee:.

It would suggest he was quite the genius though :coffee:.

:coffee:

:coffee:

Marc Overmars
19-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Hopefully Rupy comes out of this ok.

Sky. :bow:

Master Splinter
19-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Hopefully Rupy comes out of this ok.

Sky. :bow:

You deserve to be shot tbh.

And foamed.

Niall_Quinn
20-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Don't need idiots doing that. He was on the ropes - time to sit back and leave him suffering, not distract from attempts to nail him.

Murdoch's not getting nailed by anyone. Can you imagine how much shit he has on the "great" and the "good" (or cocksuckers to be more precise) of this country? Murdoch owns their arses.

Coney
20-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Murdoch's not getting nailed by anyone. Can you imagine how much shit he has on the "great" and the "good" (or cocksuckers to be more precise) of this country? Murdoch owns their arses.

Sadly probably true. If only there were some investigative journalists capable of doing some real work investigating corruption, instead of just who shagged who in which orofice.

Only thing we can hope for is the NI shareholders forcing him to step down, and the coalition to change laws on media ownership so that no one person can own over a certain percentage - say 15% - so that his hold is loosened....... unless, of course, the US investigators can dig up shit of NI reporters also tapping phones and other such illegal activity, in which case he may still get nailed or at least terminally damaged.

Letters
21-07-2011, 08:35 PM
http://askmurdoch.co.uk/

Master Splinter
02-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Murdoch shaving foam attack: 'Jonnie Marbles' jailed

A man who threw a plate of shaving foam at News Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch has been jailed for six weeks.

Jonathan May-Bowles, of Edinburgh Gardens, Windsor, Berkshire, admitted attacking the media tycoon on 20 July at a Commons hearing on phone hacking.

The 26-year-old, who calls himself Jonnie Marbles, admitted assault and causing harassment, alarm or distress.

The stand-up comic was sentenced at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court and will serve three weeks in prison.

He was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge and £250 costs.

Mr Murdoch and his son James were giving evidence before MPs at the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee when May-Bowles rushed forward from the public gallery.

He threw a paper plate full of foam, which hit Mr Murdoch's skin and clothes.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54380000/jpg/_54380811_012585452-1.jpg

Full story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14370398)

He's only 26?! :o

IBK
03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
This is absolute bollox. I mean FFS you often get a suspended sentence for GBH with intent if you plead guilty. You will almost certainly get a suspended sentence for robbery without a weapon. The guy has no previous. 3 weeks in prison for a shaving foam pie? Trial by media or what??

Niall_Quinn
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
The guy was seen on TV making a mockery of the machinery of state. Unfortunately and for some bizarre and counter-intuitive reason, the state takes itself seriously - especially at times when it has been exposed as rotten to the core and finds it necessary to put on a theatre for the masses. A pie in the face is an entirely appropriate response to the state in all cases, the traitorous drones in the service of state know it and that's why they are punishing the guy. Murdoch will not be serving even a minute of jail time and neither will the other shits in hiding who are just as guilty but busy nonetheless putting the boot into their ex-benefactor. Every time the stone is lifted these maggots are more vile than before.