PDA

View Full Version : There's a job I need to apply for

Chrissie
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
£40K plus. Probably don't stand a chance but I do know the person who I would be reporting to and he knows me. It's a very similar/almost identical role to what I'm doing. I've not filled in an application form for 17 years though. HELP!

Xhaka Can’t
07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
£40K plus. Probably don't stand a chance but I do know the person who I would be reporting to and he knows me. It's a very similar/almost identical role to what I'm doing. I've not filled in an application form for 17 years though. HELP!

Thats you fucked then.;)

Chrissie
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Thats you fucked then.;)

Thanks Gary.

Injury Time
07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Read the job spec, give evidence of how you meet the spec with examples of you experience and obviously phone up to discuss the role and seal the deal :blow:

fakeyank
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Why dont you attach your g-string along with your application? You are definitely getting the job.. he will know you very well then! ##

Slacker
09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Surprised they don't want a CV. Normally application forms are for sub-professional and non-management grades. If they want that as well make sure you skew it to the job you're applying for.

Agree with IT though. Give them a ring and stick your toe in the water. You might be able get a feel for their interest in you straight away, but not necessarily, as HR these days are trained to give nothing away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGCMyF-sA58

Best way to fill an app form in is to answer all the questions on word using as much info about you as you can in relation to your suitability for the job. Save that info, as that will be your interview prep, then re-save it and reduce it to bullet points and summaries. Print that off and handwrite it into the form neatly. Bear in mind they will ask you questions based on your application and you already have the info to expand upon. :)

Good luck

Toronto Gooner
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
All of the above are good recommendations. If the job is almost identical to the one you are doing, then the critical thing is to show how you are already doing everything that the job requires and to provide examples how you have succeeded in each aspect. You have to show that you exceed what they are looking for.

If you get the interview, then these are the questions I always ask, when given the opportunity:

Is this a new position?

If yes, then what are the plans for the position and the department?; and where does it fit within the corporate structure?

If no,

How long was the last person in the position?

What was the reason for leaving?

I also throw in "What is your management style" if the hiring manager is there.

Good luck. Having just started a new job this week, I have an idea of what you are going through.

Chrissie
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you guys. This is alien to me so I appreciate the help. Closing date is 18 July so I need to spend tomorrow putting it all together but thank you again. I'll probably be on here tomorrow stressing lol!

Xhaka Can’t
09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
If you are going to use examples of what you did as part of a team, make sure you emphasise what you did. Use a lot of positive action verbs. Depending on the application form requirements, the S.T.A.R format may be worthwhile employing.

Situation 5-10% of your example
Task 5-10%
Action - 75-80% Emphasising what YOU did
Result - 5%

Keep your examples as short as possible, aiming to make every word or at least sentence count. If it doesn't add value - don't include it.

http://www.cv-service.org/job_application_plus.html

Good luck.

Xhaka Can’t
10-07-2011, 09:16 PM
How is this going?

Chrissie
10-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks Gb.

Not too bad and thanks for your help, it actually helped a lot to focus on things as you suggested . Just need to check some info tomorrow and then ping it off. Also need to ask my boss if he'll be a reference. He'll be fine.

Xhaka Can’t
10-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Hope it works out for the best. Have only had to apply for one job in the last 10 years; 3 months ago.

It was my own job. :lol:

Chrissie
10-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Hope it works out for the best. Have only had to apply for one job in the last 10 years; 3 months ago.

It was my own job. :lol:

Haha! He who dares wins Rodney! Lol

Probably going to make a right tit of myself but just call me Joan Trotter LOL

ETA forgot to say thanks :-)

Xhaka Can’t
10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
No worries.

Besides, you thanked me in post #3. :lol:

Chrissie
10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you GB. Again.

The Dismantler