PDA

View Full Version : Gervinho it's official!

Flavs
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
At bloody last we have been granted a work permit and signed he of the giant forehead. Will be interesting to see how long it takes him to adapt not only to a new league, but a new country, a new style and probably a new position knowing Arsene. He comes with a winning mentality which is welcome, however its ACON year and he will go to that with Song, Eboue, Chamakh etc.

Have seen him a few times for Lille and been impressed he can shift and is tricky, also surprisingly strong for such a skinny bloke.

Fun times.

Fist of Lehmann
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Right wing. Gotta be. You don't just take someone with 15 goals and 10 assists and plonk him somewhere else.

That'd be retard.

Flavs
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Right wing. Gotta be. You don't just take someone with 15 goals and 10 assists and plonk him somewhere else.

That'd be retard.

Depends where Walcott is going, if we are indeed changing tactics to a fluid 4-4-2 as believed or even the 3-5-2 some have suggested then he should be out wide and could be used as a striker if needs be. All depends on injuries i guess.

LDG
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Was hoping he's play a similar position to Henry, coming in off the wing. Drop RVP deeper into the bergkamp role, have theo on the right and a new left winger with pace.

However, as it looks like we're holding on to Cesc and Nasri...he's likely to be used....erm...see, this is why I want the pair of them to fuck off. Go back to 4-4-2. Pace, power and more directness.

Looks like we're set for tippy-tappy once again :(

Letters
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
It's on :cool:

Flavs
11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Was hoping he's play a similar position to Henry, coming in off the wing. Drop RVP deeper into the bergkamp role, have theo on the right and a new left winger with pace.

However, as it looks like we're holding on to Cesc and Nasri...he's likely to be used....erm...see, this is why I want the pair of them to fuck off. Go back to 4-4-2. Pace, power and more directness.

Looks like we're set for tippy-tappy once again :(

and gibbs in for Clichy, so with his injury record i expect "Almond" Traore to get 40 games this season

Kano
11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Right wing. Gotta be.

great, another racist.

i bet he loves a good cross though

Flavs
11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
great, another racist.

i bet he loves a good cross though

:lol:

I am also interested in who takes bendtners spot, would have thought JET or Watt but both are on their way out it seems. MAybe Afobe will be given a chance

Kano
11-07-2011, 10:00 AM
maybe walcott finally in the middle?

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
:lol:

I am also interested in who takes bendtners spot, would have thought JET or Watt but both are on their way out it seems. MAybe Afobe will be given a chance

"Don't forget we also have Song who can also play attack and CB"

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Now that, I would love to see.

Feo :bow:

Flavs
11-07-2011, 10:03 AM

If we are sticking with this weak ass 4-3-3 nonsense then no, he couldnt be an apex striker as he doesnt have the strength or agression. I would love 2 up top with him and RVP and then Chamakh and Vela as the 2nd string. Funny we play this tactic yet none of our players are actually at their best within it

Wengers tactics - :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
4-4-2 isn't going to happen, there's a reason very few top teams play with it now. And on the odd occasion when they do, it generally doesn't end well.

Fist of Lehmann
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
As far as I know Gervo played almost exclusively from the right, sometimes swapping flanks with Hazard, but never playing up front, with Sow, Frau or De Melo preferred. He is essentially Walcott's direct competition now. If one or both or either are to play through the middle then I still have doubts about Wally's small size.

We'll see if Wenger is ready to give up on 4-3-3, I wouldn't mind a change back to 2 up front personally.

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
According to an Arsenal official; The paperwork is yet to be completed :doh:

Flavs
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM

:lol: Wenger announced it at a press conference last night

Left hand....right hand....

McNamara That Ghost...
11-07-2011, 10:32 AM

It's a formality.

Flavs
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13759774.stm

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Sell him. He's shit.

Flavs
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Sell him. He's shit.

oh if he doesnt score 40 goals this season the doom mongers will say so and that Wenger is a dumb ass for signing him

LDG
11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, if he plays with the reputation for being more direct and strong, I'm up for that. We desperately need more pace, strength and directness in the side.

Letters
11-07-2011, 10:56 AM
oh if he doesnt score 40 goals this season the doom mongers will say so and that Wenger is a dumb ass for signing him

And if he does then the doom mongers will say that Wenger got lucky signing someone who's so good.

:shrug:

Mr.Singh
11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
And if he does then the doom mongers will say that Wenger got lucky signing someone who's so good.

You ride wengers dick too much letters

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM

The doom mongers won't need to say a thing because this guy won't do anything to make the difference in his first year. Another typical Wenger signing, the wrong player at the wrong time and no doubt played in the wrong place. All that can realistically be expected from the guy is for him to acclimatise to a new country, acclimatise to a new league and style, and add whatever he can that slows the backwards slide of the team (when he's not busy on International duty). If he does that then hats off, won't be his fault that Wenger is too blind to sign the players we actually need. So another foreign import when we have a rookie in goal, a shambles in defence and one injury prone striker. I'm not sure what goes on in Wenger's mind but it won't have anything to do with being competitive in the PL.

LDG
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gervinho-agrees-deal-to-join-arsenal

Arse.com confirm too.

Ricky :bow:

AKBapologist
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Definitely a good signing but would be pissed if he was out only offensive signing of the season even with narsi and cesc staying.

Boss
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Harsh... but fair.

Re: Gervinho, good buy but only if he's here to add to our team and not just replace Nasri.

Will be exciting to see what he can do.

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
A good signing if we also sign two established PL CBs, an experienced LB, an experienced GK and an experienced striker. Otherwise what's the point of him? You think he'll be able to reverse the calamities we had to endure last year? Or his presence will encourage our defenders to defend? I actually feel sorry for the guy, he's coming into a losing team and a hell of a lot of expectation is going to fall on his forehead shoulders.

IBK
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM

You're kidding, aren't you. Wenger's an idiot if he doesn't score 40 by the end of August!

budesonide
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM

nice way to misrepresent others' view Mr. 'I am against over-the-top opinions' :rolleyes:

it's tempting isn't it?

LDG
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
A good signing if we also sign two established PL CBs, an experienced LB, an experienced GK and an experienced striker. Otherwise what's the point of him? You think he'll be able to reverse the calamities we had to endure last year? Or his presence will encourage our defenders to defend? I actually feel sorry for the guy, he's coming into a losing team and a hell of a lot of expectation is going to fall on his forehead shoulders.

:haha:

selassie
11-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Potentially a very good signing albeit a risky one.

From the little I've seen of him he does look a very good player, direct, strong & very quick.

Typical "Wenger" signing.

Xhaka Can’t
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM

He isn't gonna score 40 goals this season? :o

Wenger's a dumbass.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
He isn't gonna score 40 goals this season? :o

Wenger's a dumbass.

Not even the messi would score that many in this league

Power n Glory
11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
50/50 on this. We'll see what he can do.

But Wenger has to sign a few more players. This guy goes away in January along with Eboue, Song and Chamakh. We usually have a load of fixtures around this time and start to crumble.

We're selling Bendy, RVP and Walcott are injury prone, we'll only have Vela as cover for striker around Jan/Feb.

Dog Toffee
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Bit of weird signing. Another striker Wenger? Seriously?

Bendy's probably going 'cos he's shyte, but we need central defenders dont we? I thought that was obvious. For most of last season we were an injury to DoJo or Kozza away from being in real trouble, which is saying something isnt it?

Power n Glory
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
He's a winger.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
yay

Özim
11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Pretty much, tries to pretend (badly) that he doesn't though.

Özim
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
So we've made a signing we've been sorting out for a while now, I think everyone knew this guy was coming.

Probably not a bad signing but will take some time to settle in all likelyness, but there's also a lot of areas that need addressing on top of this signing.

1 or 2 signings won't be enough.

The Wengerbabies
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Thats that then in terms of incoming transfers :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 01:30 PM

It's going to be different this time :coffee:

Letters
11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
nice way to misrepresent others' view Mr. 'I am against over-the-top opinions' :rolleyes:

it's tempting isn't it?

I've seen people on here say that exact sort of thing on here. So no, I'm not misrepresenting anyone.
The fact is right now some people are taking ANY opportunity to have a dig at Wenger and at times are just plain making up reasons to. I don't need to back that up, just look around at the posts...

As for my thoughts on Wenger, I've been very clear that I think he should probably have been sacked so the other posts about what I think about him are nonsense. I'm not going to just join in with the revisionism and uber-moaning though.

Letters
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM

QED :cool:

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not going to just join in with the revisionism and uber-moaning though.

How is demanding Wenger sign a defender that can defend uber-moaning or revisionism? How is demanding he learn from the harsh lessons of the past 5 years moaning? Nobody denies his past record but that doesn't give him a free pass on the current problems, and if you agree he should be sacked then you already realise this. Sometimes being calm, collected and quiet is just encouragement for people who do bad shit to carry on doing it. The majority of fans will be firmly behind the team again come August, but in the downtime it's right that Wenger is held to account. Failing to do so would send him the wrong message. Not that he listens anyway, but maybe somebody on the board does or will.

Letters
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
How is demanding Wenger sign a defender that can defend uber-moaning or revisionism?
How is demanding he learn from the harsh lessons of the past 5 years moaning? Nobody denies his past record but that doesn't give him a free pass on the current problems, and if you agree he should be sacked then you already realise this. Sometimes being calm, collected and quiet is just encouragement for people who do bad shit to carry on doing it. The majority of fans will be firmly behind the team again come August, but in the downtime it's right that Wenger is held to account. Failing to do so would send him the wrong message. Not that he listens anyway, but maybe somebody on the board does or will.

Don't disagree with any of that. If you look around it's not hard to see the sort of posts I'm talking about.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 02:10 PM
How good is this guy in FM and Pro?

Ultimately thats what matters cos thats the thing we can control. Cant control Arsenal in real life unfortunately. Only Wenger can and hes doing a piss poor job of that

AKBapologist
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Letters in a moan about moaners in a board he designed to let people moan.

Mr. Lahey
11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Harsh... but fair.

Re: Gervinho, good buy but only if he's here to add to our team and not just replace Nasri.

Will be exciting to see what he can do.

Agreed...I slated this signing a little previously but if Cesc/Nasri stay than I think its a decent signing. Kolo spoke of him highly comparing him to Eto and he was also on a title winning side last season. He seems to be alot more direct and aggressive than Chamack, so it should be interesting to see what he is capable of this season.

Letters
11-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Letters in a moan about moaners in a board he designed to let people moan.

I didn't design the board.
And it wasn't designed just to let people moan.

Apart from that you're spot on.

Grebbo
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Totally underwhelmed, Gervinho is not what we need.

I have a terrible feeling that Wenger is going to spunk £30m on Downing and Gervinho and that'll be our business done.

I feel sick.

Master Splinter
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I didn't design the board.
And it wasn't designed just to let people moan.

Apart from that you're spot on.

:haha:

LDG
11-07-2011, 02:33 PM
He won't buy downer.

Master Splinter
11-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Totally underwhelmed, Gervinho is not what we need.

I have a terrible feeling that Wenger is going to spunk £30m on Downing and Gervinho and that'll be our business done.

I feel sick.

We're not signing Downing.

Grebbo
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM

:pray:

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM

I get the feeling we'll be helping you out with this one. :coffee:

LDG
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I get the feeling we'll be helping you out with this one. :coffee:

:pal:

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
:pal:

I'm not paying :lol:

Tipsychubbs
11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
How good is this guy in FM and Pro?

Ultimately thats what matters cos thats the thing we can control. Cant control Arsenal in real life unfortunately. Only Wenger can and hes doing a piss poor job of that

Agree with that. I get tons more fun controlling Arsenal in Pro than watching them in real life at the moment. At least I can decide who to pick and how to play!

Master Splinter
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM

But you'll be watching Hoof-Cross-Ponytail football all season.

So the :pal: stands.

LDG
11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
And we'll be watching tiptap-forehead-collapse football :(

:ilt:

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-07-2011, 02:52 PM
But you'll be watching Hoof-Cross-Ponytail football all season.

So the :pal: stands.

Hoof-cross-ponytail-goal will do me fine.

Pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-collapse isn't so good either.

Letters
11-07-2011, 02:54 PM

You are, one way or another.

Master Splinter
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-collapse isn't so good either.

Infinitely more entertaining though.

Especially the reactions it emits on messageboards.

Japan Shaking All Over
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

with Denilson can you can cut the number of '-pass-' by half and maybe the 'collapse' part bearing in mind Eboue stays on the bench

Özim
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I've seen people on here say that exact sort of thing on here. So no, I'm not misrepresenting anyone.
The fact is right now some people are taking ANY opportunity to have a dig at Wenger and at times are just plain making up reasons to. I don't need to back that up, just look around at the posts...

As for my thoughts on Wenger, I've been very clear that I think he should probably have been sacked so the other posts about what I think about him are nonsense. I'm not going to just join in with the revisionism and uber-moaning though.
Wenger leaves himself open to criticism with his BS and the way he deals with things, it's noone else's fault but his....you seem to fail to realise that.

The other day you agreed with him that 1 or 2 signings would be enough, how does that even make any sense after last season and selling Clichy.

We're lacking defensively there's no doubt about that, that's now been made worse in all probability with Gibbs coming in, not only is he a complete crock but again he can't really defend.

We also clearly lack someone who can support RVP with goals and cover for him when injured. Then there's the issue of adding some width (Gervinho probably solves that) and some bite/competitiveness/leadership in midfield (whilst replacing dross like Denilson).

I don't see how 1 or 2 signings could ever be enough, especially when one already signed is going to take time to settle and is unproven at the top level.

Wenger has suddenly changed his stance and decided that we were so close last season and that the players have something to prove, both statements are nonsense in reality, but it's up to you if you want to continue believing his delusional BS at the end of the day.

LDG
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Wenger leaves himself open to criticism with his BS and the way he deals with things, it's noone else's fault but his....you seem to fail to realise that.

The other day you agreed with him that 1 or 2 signings would be enough, how does that even make any sense after last season and selling Clichy.

We're lacking defensively there's no doubt about that, that's now been made worse in all probability with Gibbs coming in, not only is he a complete crock but again he can't really defend.

We also clearly lack someone who can support RVP with goals and cover for him when injured. Then there's the issue of adding some width (Gervinho probably solves that) and some bite/competitiveness/leadership in midfield (whilst replacing dross like Denilson).

I don't see how 1 or 2 signings could ever be enough, especially when one already signed is going to take time to settle and is unproven at the top level.

Wenger has suddenly changed his stance and decided that we were so close last season and that the players have something to prove, both statements are nonsense in reality, but it's up to you if you want to continue believing his delusional BS at the end of the day.

I agree with your points.

I don't agree with your assertion that Wenger has decided anything....we all know he talks shit. Best we wait until all business is done and dusted....and then we can lynch the fucker if it turns out as you say.

Özim
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree with your points.

I don't agree with your assertion that Wenger has decided anything....we all know he talks shit. Best we wait until all business is done and dusted....and then we can lynch the fucker if it turns out as you say.
He does talk a lot of BS, thing is though that actually makes things worse as it's patronising.

Anyway we'll see I guess, but I won't hold my breath.

LDG
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
He does talk a lot of BS, thing is though that actually makes things worse as it's patronising.

I dunno about this though. I may be wrong (which is quite likely), but I would say that he's hedging his bets rather than being completely honest.

I mean if he came out and said "we're gonna bring in 5 or 6" there would be mentalness all around us. Press, fans all going supnkydooda over it. Then if he failed with a few bids and we only managed 2 more, he'd be castrated.

I still think he'll make some other changes. At the very least in defence...if he doesn't then he's as good as got himself the sack anyway.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Feel sorry for this kid.

Through no fault of his own, he will have so much pressure on his shoulders to come good asap cos as is likely if we dont get anyone else, all our hopes and expectations lie on this guy and i dont think hes good enough to handle it.

Anyway good luck to the guy.

fari
11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
glad to see him here, cant wait to see him link up with rvp and walcott up top

Letters
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Well...no I don't. I've criticised Wenger plenty on here and said I think it's probably time for him to go.
You KEEP ignoring that in an attempt to make it look like I've got some obsession with defending him no matter what.
What I will defend though, or rather object to, is people moaning WHATEVER he does.

People spent quite a lot of time on here last season whining about how crap Clichy is. I don't think we need a load of signings this summer simply because as a squad this lot are not far away. You may scoff at that but every year we're up there, we're never in mid-table. The biggest problems which stop us winning stuff are poor defensive coaching (note, coaching, not ability, I think our players under a different coach would be more than capable of competing at the top level) and a collective inability to deal with pressure or win crunch games. The first issue doesn't need any signings to sort out. The 2nd is more difficult and maybe a signing or two of players with some balls would help the collective psyche but the squad is not a million miles away. A Spurs fan friend said he thought that in the first half we were the best side he'd seen at the Lane last season but as soon as it went to 3-2 he saw the heads go down and knew they'd get something. It was a problem which dogged us all season. We let so many points go last season from commanding positions, add up all those points and we'd have been very close to the title. This squad aren't far away from being able to win trophies IMO.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Has Wenger changed his stance? From what to what? And you DON't think our players have something to prove? I don't believe anyone's 'delusional BS', I just call it as I see it from watching most of our games (something which you long since conceded you don't do).

toothless gibbon
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
A warm welcome to The Great Dread-Over.

friskyanders
11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow - A player who scored 15 whole goals in the mediocre French league last season - Sounds similar to Chamakh! - And what a hit he's proved to be.

Also pleased to hear he's come through the same youth system in Cote d'Ivoire as Emmanuel Eboue - Another Arsenal legend!

Surely this is the signing that will push us on to at least 3 trophies next season.

GP
11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
WWTL@WHL);18963]Well...no[/email] I don't. I've criticised Wenger plenty on here and said I think it's probably time for him to go.
You KEEP ignoring that in an attempt to make it look like I've got some obsession with defending him no matter what.
What I will defend though, or rather object to, is people moaning WHATEVER he does.

People spent quite a lot of time on here last season whining about how crap Clichy is. I don't think we need a load of signings this summer simply because as a squad this lot are not far away. You may scoff at that but every year we're up there, we're never in mid-table. The biggest problems which stop us winning stuff are poor defensive coaching (note, coaching, not ability, I think our players under a different coach would be more than capable of competing at the top level) and a collective inability to deal with pressure or win crunch games. The first issue doesn't need any signings to sort out. The 2nd is more difficult and maybe a signing or two of players with some balls would help the collective psyche but the squad is not a million miles away. A Spurs fan friend said he thought that in the first half we were the best side he'd seen at the Lane last season but as soon as it went to 3-2 he saw the heads go down and knew they'd get something. It was a problem which dogged us all season. We let so many points go last season from commanding positions, add up all those points and we'd have been very close to the title. This squad aren't far away from being able to win trophies IMO.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Has Wenger changed his stance? From what to what? And you DON't think our players have something to prove? I don't believe anyone's 'delusional BS', I just call it as I see it from watching most of our games (something which you long since conceded you don't do).

Good post

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Total over-reaction as usual. Our passing hasn't been as good as that for years.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow - A player who scored 15 whole goals in the mediocre French league last season - Sounds similar to Chamakh! - And what a hit he's proved to be.

Also pleased to hear he's come through the same youth system in Cote d'Ivoire as Emmanuel Eboue - Another Arsenal legend!

Surely this is the signing that will push us on to at least 3 trophies next season.

Chamakh did fall away pretty badly after Xmas but he was very good before it. Hes the least of our problems.

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Chamakh did fall away pretty badly after Xmas but he was very good before it. Hes the least of our problems.

Chamakh is shit and it's about time somebody says it.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Chamakh is shit and it's about time somebody says it.

Nah. Did what was expected of him. 10-15 goals in his first season in a different country is good going.

Its a shame that all of those goals were before Xmas. Had they been after Xmas, we'd be talking about how good he was.

He isnt a problem. Dont forget he hardly played after Xmas either cos RVP went nuts with goals and actually stayed fit.

We also fell away without Chamakh in the team....

As i said before, RVP is a Fantasy Football dream but a team player, Chamakh gets the nod.

Im happy with him and he'll be even better next season

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Nah. Did what was expected of him. 10-15 goals in his first season in a different country is good going.

Its a shame that all of those goals were before Xmas. Had they been after Xmas, we'd be talking about how good he was.

He isnt a problem. Dont forget he hardly played after Xmas either cos RVP went nuts with goals and actually stayed fit.

As i said before, RVP is a Fantasy Football dream but a team player, Chamakh gets the nod.

I see what you're saying, an interesting summary of his season and when you look at it that way I suppose the only problem with him is he's total shit.

Ironing
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM

:gp:

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
People arent seriously having a go at Chamakh are they?

Theres plenty of reasons to have a go at Arsenal atm. Making one up in Chamakh isnt needed

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Oh well, maybe Chamakh won't get a game next year if the new guy doesn't get injured. Plus our terrible crossing won't be such an issues as he'll be able to head the ball no matter where he is on the pitch, his forehead is that fucking huge.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:34 PM
He also brought the best out of Nasri lest we forget.

Dont get me wrong, id have loved it if Chamakh continued on his pre Xmas form after it but at the start of the season, i said id take 10-15 goals from him so cant complain tbh.

Still should buy a world class striker though

Xhaka Can’t
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
People arent seriously having a go at Chamakh are they?

Theres plenty of reasons to have a go at Arsenal atm. Making one up in Chamakh isnt needed

Well I seriously am. He is awful.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Just out of curiousity cos i wasnt around at the time but what did people think of him pre Xmas?

The Verminator
11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Good signing, just hope there's a lot more to come.......

And Ach is right, Chamakh did very well for the first half of the season - no reason to write him off yet and remember he's a squad player, not a starter.

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Just out of curiousity cos i wasnt around at the time but what did people think of him pre Xmas?

Shit. I thought he was shit a year before he arrived and the lad was kind enough to prove me right. You could stick a mop up front and it'd score as much. I suppose his diving won a few goals we wouldn't have bagged otherwise, I'm okay with that seeing as everyone else does it, but in an ideal world we wanted something more than a freebie ballerina who can't keep his feet and is too shit scared to get in the battle. That said, there were a few tiny glimpses of him finally finding his balls in the last few games of the season, he was still shit but at least he wasn't hiding.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
. That said, there were a few tiny glimpses of him finally finding his balls in the last few games of the season, I knew you liked him really :hug:

Dont think Chamakh is something we'll agree on. In fact id say its the only thing we dont so lets forget him and keep to the Wenger bashing :scarf:

Syn
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
If I had to sum up Chamakh in one word, the word would be 'ridiculous'.

What a fanny. Never seen a striker so scared of shooting.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
If I had to sum up Chamakh in one word, the word would be 'ridiculous'.

What a fanny. Never seen a striker so scared of shooting.
My one word would be 'Marvel'

To score 11 goals while hes scared of shooting is a bloody marvel tbh.

Imagine how many he'd score if he wasnt scared

Syn
11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
You're too generous. A cripple doubled his tally.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Tbf RVP went on a freak run which he wont ever do again.

Chamakh isnt a problem. He'd be better in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 with RVP or Nasri in behind him. Wont play either though cos Wenger will stick to the tried and failed 4-3-3

Syn
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Tbf RVP went on a freak run which he wont ever do again.

Chamakh isnt a problem. He'd be better in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 with RVP or Nasri in behind him. Wont play either though cos Wenger will stick to the tried and failed 4-3-3

Dunno...he just looked completely out of his depth after the first few games. I know there's inconsistency...but what we saw from him were some fundamental flaws which I don't believe a 27 year old player can correct.

Anyway, best of luck to gervinho. Know nothing about him and he starts with a clean slate.

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Anyway, best of luck to gervinho. Know nothing about him and he starts with a clean slate.

Amen to that

Boss
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Chamakh was never good enough for us and never will be good enough. Same with the garbage defenders we signed last summer.

We'd be astounded if we partnered RVP with anyone with quality anywhere near top class, given the amount of time we spend attacking in games.

Kano
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
wont be long before they turn on you gerv - keep your agent at the ready

Cripps_orig
11-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Chamakh was never good enough for us and never will be good enough. Same with the garbage defenders we signed last summer.

We'd be astounded if we partnered RVP with anyone with quality anywhere near top class, given the amount of time we spend attacking in games.

Agree about the defenders. Kozza was a shocker of epic proportions.

Where will this Gervinho play then cos in one thread i hear hes a winger and in another hes a striker?

milla
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Theo would make a great partner for RVP imo. :coffee:

Cripps_orig
29-07-2011, 01:49 PM
New Arsenal forward Gervinho insists his introduction into the Premier League will help him raise his game and claims he has always idolised club legend Thierry Henry.

Don't Miss

■Sporting Lisbon dismiss link with Bendtner
■Thiago on song, so now or never for Cesc?

■Arsenal submit new bid for Jagielka - report
■Hill-Wood warns Barca: Pay right price for Cesc

■Chamakh confident of a better second season
■Injury will sideline Diaby until September

The Ivory Coast international joined the Gunners from French champions Lille where he enjoyed a highly successful season last time around by helping his side to a domestic double, as well as scoring 18 goals.

Arsene Wenger’s latest acquisition continued this deadly form in front of goal in Arsenal’s friendly against Cologne last Saturday, netting twice in the first 15 minutes.

The 24-year-old believes his arrival at the Emirates will help him grow as a player, but warns he may need some time to acclimatise to the Premier League.

"I want to use my time here at Arsenal to develop my strengths," he told reporters.

"I know English football is harder and I might need a bit of time at the start, but ultimately it is down to me to raise my game and adapt.

"With the help of the team, I hope I can do that quickly. I will prepare well to be ready by the start.

"Regarding my position, I feel really comfortable in any position up front.

"The most important thing is that I bring a lot to the team wherever I am playing. My idol has always been Thierry Henry."

Gervinho’s new manager has already praised the Ivorian, believing he can add a new dimension for the Gunners with his silky movement and link-up play and the player himself is happy to be working with such a figure.

"When you are young, you always want to improve, to work with great managers - and Arsene Wenger is one of the best in the world," he added.

"I think that with him, I will become a much better player, and he was very important in my choice to sign here.

"I came here because I believe that he can improve my game and help me reach another level, but the most important thing for me is that I bring a lot to the team for whom I am playing."

Gervinho says he has always been fond of England’s top league and also recognises Arsenal’s struggle to become a competitive outfit and once more challenge for top honors, but insists the Gunners will bounce back in the new season.

"I have always followed Arsenal in the Premier League," he said. "At some points they were really good, but also had some difficulties like a lot of big clubs do.

"They did not finish in the position they wanted, and sometimes seasons like that happen - but we all know the potential of this team and hopefully we will do better next season.

"I can expect a great season from Arsenal, with a lot of success and a lot of emotion at the end.

"I expect us to achieve our goals, and also in the seasons beyond.

"I hope the fans will enjoy watching me play and that at the end of the season we will have the opportunity to celebrate something great together."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/29/2596004/new-arsenal-signing-gervinho-i-always-idolised-thierry-henry

He talks the talk tbf.

Özim
29-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Hope he does well, seems to be a decent player....just concerned about the adjustment period and the fact he'll be at the ACON.

Özim
29-07-2011, 01:57 PM

I agree with this, if we had another top class striker we'd score so many goals it would be untrue.