PDA

View Full Version : The Two Rs?

Letters
12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14121541

Indiana is the latest US state which will not require its schoolchildren to learn joined-up, or cursive, writing.
But students will have to learn basic typing skills, which education officials say are more useful in the modern employment world.
The move is part of the Common Core State Standards Initiative, which aims to ensure consistency in US education and makes no mention of handwriting.
But critics say writing well is a vital skill for life and builds character

Maybe I'm getting old but this seems wrong to me. Kids will surely get enough experience of typing on all kinds of devices they use these days, I think being able to write well is an important skill too.

LDG
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
My Dad still writes everything in capitals.

Didn't stop him from earning a load of wedge.

PGFC
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Maybe I'm getting old but this seems wrong to me. Kids will surely get enough experience of typing on all kinds of devices they use these days, I think being able to write well is an important skill too.

meh, maybe they think joined-up writing is a mark of Satan, stupid Americans.

PGFC
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
my dad still writes everything in capitals.

Didn't stop him from earning a load of wedge.

i've got a gun, hand over all the money

Stupid fucking cunting text editor won't allow capitalisation, this fucking site sucks.

Boss
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Cursive is a waste of time.

Being able to write will become unnecessary in 2-3 years, don't see anything wrong with this.

All about speed innit.

Cripps_orig
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Hate writing.

Prefer typing.

Good move.

LDG
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
i've got a gun, hand over all the money

Stupid fucking cunting text editor won't allow posting in capitals, this fucking site sucks.

:pal:

PGFC
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
:(

Letters
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Can you not shout on here?

Letters
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Can you not shout on here?

Oh! :lol: No you can't.
'king thing!

LDG
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
meh, maybe they think joined-up writing is a mark of Satan, stupid Americans.

Especially if you're looking for a bi

Master Splinter
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Not surprising that prominent members of the Asian Clique are unable to see the value of decent penmanship.

ASIANS :rolleyes:

Letters
12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Especially if you're looking for a bi

:lol:

<_< Stupid internet.

fakeyank
13-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Its because of this I moved out of Indiana to Illinois!!

Letters
13-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Cursive is a waste of time.

Being able to write will become unnecessary in 2-3 years, don't see anything wrong with this.

All about speed innit.

It's a common misconception that digital data is safe and will be there 'forever' while paper-based records can be destroyed. Both can be destroyed and at least writing doesn't need any 'device' to be readable. Digital formats come and go and the media is transient, written records are far more enduring. I agree that learning to write too fancily isn't neccessary but the basic ability to write will always be needed.

The Wengerbabies
13-07-2011, 12:59 PM
No big deal tbh. Most people's joined up handwriting is a mess anyway it'll be more legible if they separated the letters.

Fwiw I have beautifully neat handwriting.

Me :bow:

Boss
13-07-2011, 02:38 PM
It's a common misconception that digital data is safe and will be there 'forever' while paper-based records can be destroyed. Both can be destroyed and at least writing doesn't need any 'device' to be readable. Digital formats come and go and the media is transient, written records are far more enduring. I agree that learning to write too fancily isn't neccessary but the basic ability to write will always be needed.

IMO you're wrong but as this is all based on speculation we'll both agree that I'm right on this. :good:

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2011, 02:41 PM
LOL - let's get rid of reading next. It's about progress init? LMAO, the are some seriously stupid cunts making the rules these days.

Letters
13-07-2011, 02:43 PM
IMO you're wrong but as this is all based on speculation we'll both agree that I'm right on this. :good:

Agreed :cool:

Wait, what? :unsure:

<_<

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2011, 02:48 PM

In a thousand years there'll be a gap between the Renaissance and the time of enlightenment that surely has to come and this fucked up fast food, instant cash sewer of an era will just be marked down as as a dark age. It can't be too much longer before the average human reaches rock bottom in terms of abject stupidity and ignorance of the world he lives in. Then the only way to go is back up to a time when people appreciate reading and writing, books and art and other shit that makes being the most developed animal on the planet worth more than fucking, farting and feasting. I fucking hate progressives, they are so retarded.

Syn
13-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Let's forget maths in schools too. After all, you'll have calculators and computers that'll do it all for you. :rolleyes:Joined up writing or whatever it's called is a challenging aspect at a young age - that's when the learning curve is steepest. You're taking away a key aspect of development. (I don't actually know. I just made that shit up. It's probably true though)

Coney
13-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Life's a bitch and sometimes I have to agree with you. When all is down because of the power failure / no handy widget machines / etc and I need to leave a note.... I supposed I could try and draw some pictures.

It is necessary for modern kids to be hot on keyboards, just as it is important for them to use calculators, etc. However, just as they should be able to do long multiplication/division by hand they should also be able to do basic writing. OK, so it does not have to be joined up, maybe, but certainly they should be taught to write to a level that others can read their inane jottings.