PDA

View Full Version : Should Wenger be replaced as Arsenal Manager?

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Only two choices here, yes or no. There have been too many times where there have been options such as, 'lets see what he does in the transfer window' or 'one more year then judge him'.

It is the end of the season, so let's judge him now, should he stay or should he go?

Letters
23-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I've gone for yes. No other club at this level would have kept a manager after this many years without a trophy.
He's failed to address some fairly obvious flaws in the squad.
I do think we'll get worse after he goes but I just need someone I believe in again.

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes because we are no better as a team now than we were at the start of this project 5 years ago. We stagnate every year and I think he is very lucky to have a board like ours who allow him the complete freedom to do what he wants without question. There's no other top club in the world who would have afforded him the patience like we have.

I'm grateful for him because he's transformed the club in a way we couldn't have dreamt of but this year in particularly has seen the fans express genuine concern about the decline in quality and feelings of being alienated from the club they love. Something has gone very wrong and I think Wenger has to shoulder the blame as do the board.

Having said all of that, I think the board are more than happy to finish 4th every year, so Wenger is doing nothing wrong in their eyes.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I've gone for yes because although we should see what he does in the transfer window we all know he won't do anything.

cheesy bites
23-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Making the choice was pretty tough, mostly because of all he's done for this football club. But with the shambles of the just-finished season, and a manager I like in Villas-Boas probably looking for a fresh start, I'd say yes.

IBK
23-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm a yes. This season has turned me. This was the opportunity for AW's swansong - when he had managed to keep his team together over the Summer, and when the other teams were not as strong as previously. I'm afraid that he is unwilling to or incapable of making the significant changes that are needed to make us competetive again.

GP
23-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Probably, but he won't be.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 09:57 AM
No he should be given next season to show he can change, if he doesnt and we fail again then he should be replaced

IBK
23-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Flavs, right?

Flavs
23-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Thats me yes :good:

LDG
23-05-2011, 10:17 AM
First time I've ever voted yes.

I'll be really upset if it does happen. But the club has gone stale and is rotting away. New manager with fresh ideas is needed.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 10:21 AM
The thing is if we are to have this clear out and rerecruit we are supposd to be having we have to also keep a sense of continuity, binning 10 players and a manager all in one go would be disastrous IMO and bearing in mind we were in the title race in April we need to keep the spine of what we have together.

IBK
23-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Thats me yes :good:

Old grey matter still working!!

dazthegooner
23-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I think we should stick with him till at least January and if nothing changes then yes he should go.

selassie
23-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes he should be replaced.

isv
23-05-2011, 10:52 AM
i think it will be 1 last season, he will get rid of deadwood and players who want to leave, replace these with hopefully known internationals, with the view of bringing in Pep Guardiola in as next season will be his last at Barca and he has stated he wants to join a premiership club..

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 11:01 AM
If Wenger has any say in the replacement manager, I am very doubtful it'll be Guardiola. That and Chelsea will be sacking (insert name of manager here) next May.

adzzzbatch
23-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I say Yes, but I acciddently clicked no. :doh:

Arsenal Fan
23-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I say Yes, but I acciddently clicked no. :doh:
its ok coz i did the same but the opposite way, so our votes have been cancelled.

adzzzbatch
23-05-2011, 11:21 AM
its ok coz i did the same but the opposite way, so our votes have been cancelled.

:woohoo:

I just think we bottled it tbh.

Özim
23-05-2011, 11:23 AM
7 people think he should stay on so far (Adzz voted the wrong way of course), there's no hope!

Flavs
23-05-2011, 11:26 AM
7 people think he should stay on so far (Adzz voted the wrong way of course), there's no hope!

3 premierships, 4 FA cups and Champions league football every year gets you some grace

KSE Comedy Club
23-05-2011, 11:33 AM
3 premierships, 4 FA cups and Champions league football every year gets you some grace

CL football every year and no trophies in the last 6 years can get you sacked anywhere else though.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 11:36 AM

I think he has had that already. There is only so long you can go on saying, 'give him another year'. Yet every year the team suffers from chronic underinvestment.

Özim
23-05-2011, 11:41 AM
No success in Europe, no success in 6 years, basic problems as clear as day never being fixed, calamitous collapses and blind faith in substandard players probably uses all that up.

KSE Comedy Club
23-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I voted yes.

The thing is though, its not as simple as 'not winning a trophy for 6 years'. Its more to do with a collection of things, and the manner in which we havent won any trophies.

I can forgive Wenger for not winning anything, it is a competition and winning it shouldnt be guaranteed, but I cannot forgive him for not fixing the most obvious problems and carrying on, ignoring them for the last 6 years. I cannot forgive him for creating a team of pussies that break down at the first hint of pressure, and I certainly cannot forgive him for this years utter shambles at the close end of the season. He doesnt get rid of shit players, instead he pays them more money for their failings and then he doesnt strengthen when the opportunity arises.

That is why I think he should leave. I do want to see what he does in the summer to make us into winners again, but then I do think he should fuck off as he has had enough chances.

LDG
23-05-2011, 11:42 AM
We should have strengthened in January, spending money on a game changing player, and cover for the defence. We could have won the league.

As we didn't have the back up, we consequently dipped in form due to injury and players playing too much.

I maintain we had the best squad, but because our manager, despite all the warning signs from previous seasons, refused to spend when he should have done, the implosion was inevitable.

IBK
23-05-2011, 11:43 AM
:gp:

Özim
23-05-2011, 11:45 AM
It's been shown he never learns from mistakes, I don't see what giving him another season would do, nothing is going to change he's had plenty of chances to change things....and has failed to do so everytime.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm a yes. This season has turned me. This was the opportunity for AW's swansong - when he had managed to keep his team together over the Summer, and when the other teams were not as strong as previously. I'm afraid that he is unwilling to or incapable of making the significant changes that are needed to make us competetive again.

Syn
23-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I think it is now critical that Wenger leaves asap. Forget the fact that it's a results business, I hate the culture he has created within the club. He is either blind that he can't see that players are walking all over him and making the same mistakes every game, or -- and my gut feeling -- he is spineless.

Boss
23-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes - although he should have been sacked last year.

Wenger doesn't have it in him to win a trophy in the modern game and his delusion with the youth project is costing us big time.

He needs to go, but won't until his contract ends, so expect a couple more years of this dross.

Hump
23-05-2011, 12:51 PM
The most successful manager in UK football has been at his club for 25 years, the Liverpool boot room ensured their manager was steeped in the tradition of the club.

Arsenal are well placed financially and are in OK shape on the field, a little pruning and grafting is required but Wenger should be the one to do this. This is the Arsenal way, heck if George Graham hadn't been caught on the hey-diddle he'd probably still be at the helm.

budesonide
23-05-2011, 12:53 PM
the club is now stale under him --- the vibe is so contaminated to the extent that half of our squad needs to be replaced to make any headway. Seeing as this is not financially feasible, I say wenger has to go so the club can start with a new perspective and re-create a winning vibe.

any decent player who is brought into this squad will get fed up. Mates, even henry (arsenal through and through couldn't take any longer as captain of these bunch). If you put messi into this team he will get fed up after a season. Fundamentally, the culture at the club is antiquated and rotten.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 12:53 PM
The most successful manager in UK football has been at his club for 25 years, the Liverpool boot room ensured their manager was steeped in the tradition of the club.

Arsenal are well placed financially and are in OK shape on the field, a little pruning and grafting is required but Wenger should be the one to do this. This is the Arsenal way, heck if George Graham had been caught on the hey-diddle he'd probably still be at the helm.

GG being on the fiddle was nothing more than a convenient excuse for a spineless Board.

Power n Glory
23-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes. Time for him to go. It doesn't sound like he's even listening to the fans. Gets all defensive about spending money and other sugar daddy clubs when he should be sending out a clear message about this season and how it wasn't good enough and that we will do more next season.

I don't want hear him jumping to the defence of his players talking about their attitude either. Any other manager with common sense would just eat humble pie and not try to defend such a poor season. Even if he's right aboout certain things, just bite your tongue and say we'll be back and better! He won't and in the next few days we'll get more facts and figures about this groups age, fluff about their mental strength.....it's tiresome.

Hump
23-05-2011, 01:01 PM
antiquated and rotten? Are you sure? A culture that promotes young talent because of ability and not need? A culture that encourages technical competence? (Which is what Spain - current World Cup winners - has had for years).

The culture could be described as parsimonious, disingenuous and blinked - but not antiquated and rotten.

Elche
23-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I Voted YES.

I'm tired of going round in circles. Fans say every year, give him another year. He said he should be judged at the end of the season.

He has money to spend, and no matter what he says in regard to not buying 50 mil players, we at very least need to stop buying the kind of dross we bought last Summer. With sales and 3 well thought out 15 to 20 million bracket players we could spend 35 million in total and be exactly where we need to be.

If he also addresses the defence not just new players, but new training methods.

It all seems clear, reasonable to achieve and he's allowed to pay that money ( as Gazidis has said ).....but already he's telling us that we are more or less fine, with some adjustments...he's already changing his story from 1 Press conference to another...He lies, he BS's about the squad and what he needs.

So to me he's finished. I'm not looking forward to the Summer and neither the season ahead.

We need refreshing, a change at the helm...maybe to go backwards for a year but with our resources, and the kind of Coach I think we'd attract that wouldn't last long.

budesonide
23-05-2011, 03:27 PM
antiquated and rotten? Are you sure? A culture that promotes young talent because of ability and not need? A culture that encourages technical competence? (Which is what Spain - current World Cup winners - has had for years).

The culture could be described as parsimonious, disingenuous and blinked - but not antiquated and rotten.

I am not referring necessarily to the 'football', but to the disgusting lack of grasp of any of the basic fundamentals that makes a sunday league side call themselves a football side.

And, Technical competence? are you sure? sagna can't put a cross in if he was alone on the ptich with a striker. clichy can't even strike a ball. half the time our set pieces come to nothing --- our corners hardly beat the first man. Technical competence? Sorry, try again :)

Hump
23-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I am not referring necessarily to the 'football', but to the disgusting lack of grasp of any of the basic fundamentals that makes a sunday league side call themselves a football side.

And, Technical competence? are you sure? sagna can't put a cross in if he was alone on the ptich with a striker. clichy can't even strike a ball. half the time our set pieces come to nothing --- our corners hardly beat the first man. Technical competence? Sorry, try again :)

I said "encourages" technical competence with that you can't argue, although I suspect you will.

budesonide
23-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I said "encourages" technical competence with that you can't argue, although I suspect you will.

errm --- i am sure you will find that most managers and clubs do 'encourage' technical competence. It is a basic aspect of football; no? so why the issue with my original post? the game has moved on; no? If so our approach is fundamentally antiquated; no? does our approach need freshening up? yes, i think so.

cheers

irishitaliangooner
23-05-2011, 04:15 PM
With the current bunch of players we have I don't think there is any other manager who would make any difference to anything... So, me personally thinks that AW should spend some money and be given one last season to prove we can win something, BUT if not next season, then get rid and bring in Van Basten (Manager) and Bergkamp (No.2).

budesonide
23-05-2011, 04:19 PM
With the current bunch of players we have I don't think there is any other manager who would make any difference to anything... So, me personally thinks that AW should spend some money and be given one last season to prove we can win something, BUT if not next season, then get rid and bring in Van Basten (Manager) and Bergkamp (No.2).

that will mean at least 5-6 players coming in though; do you realistically see that happening, ITG? Wenger hasn't got the balls, and even if he does, he's too arrogant to do any such thing to suggest he tried and failed with a misguided philosophy.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 04:24 PM
With the current bunch of players we have I don't think there is any other manager who would make any difference to anything.

I disagree. The squad has ability what they lack is a winning mentality Wenger hasn't been able to instill that in them, he panders to them and is far too soft. Fergie would sort this out imo.

Adebayor said it perfectly in an interview with Football Focus a few weeks ago, he said there is no way Mourinho would have lost the CC final and I think he's right.

irishitaliangooner
23-05-2011, 04:29 PM
that will mean at least 5-6 players coming in though; do you realistically see that happening, ITG? Wenger hasn't got the balls, and even if he does, he's too arrogant to do any such thing to suggest he tried and failed with a misguided philosophy.

He is going to have to now and he knows it... I seriously think that he is going to spend, he will strengthen up the backline and the midfield will consist of Wilshere, Nasri, Busquets and Song with Krkic and RvP up front. From what I read, Barcelona are offering us any player or two for Cesc apart from the main six eg: Messi, Villa, Pique, Valdes, Xavi and Iniesta in a swap for Cesc... Now out of the players available for us to pinch, I would make it the two in the line up...

I reckon next seasons line-up will be like this:

Schesny

Sagna
Vermaelen
Samba
Gibbs

Nasri
Busquets
Wilshere
Walcott

RvP

Krkic

Thats my opinion. We will make signings...

Elreactor
23-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes because we are no better as a team now than we were at the start of this project 5 years ago. We stagnate every year and I think he is very lucky to have a board like ours who allow him the complete freedom to do what he wants without question. There's no other top club in the world who would have afforded him the patience like we have.

I'm grateful for him because he's transformed the club in a way we couldn't have dreamt of but this year in particularly has seen the fans express genuine concern about the decline in quality and feelings of being alienated from the club they love. Something has gone very wrong and I think Wenger has to shoulder the blame as do the board.

Having said all of that, I think the board are more than happy to finish 4th every year, so Wenger is doing nothing wrong in their eyes.

Idem

Kaiser
23-05-2011, 09:25 PM
No way will Barcelona give us Busquets in part exchange for Cesc. He's one of the best DMs in the world and his one-touch passing is fantastic.

Also, I'd stop watching football if that parasitic cunt joined us, as good as a player he is, I hope he dies.

Bojan is their Bendtner/Chamakh but great at it with 38 goals in 69 starts. He'll go to Valencia or Villarreal if he wants to leave, which I don't think he does.

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I disagree. The squad has ability what they lack is a winning mentality Wenger hasn't been able to instill that in them, he panders to them and is far too soft. Fergie would sort this out imo.

Adebayor said it perfectly in an interview with Football Focus a few weeks ago, he said there is no way Mourinho would have lost the CC final and I think he's right.

If you forget about mentality for a second, we all know that is our biggest problem, but I'd also question his tactical ability as manager now. How many times has his spoken about the need to shore up the defence but an improvement is never seen in this area, we arguably get worse. We're no better off now than we were 5 years ago and still have a dreadful inability to defend set pieces.

Maestro
23-05-2011, 09:41 PM
My thoughts exactly, will be interesting to see the final results of this poll compared with the last one.

ElusiveGooner
24-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Why wait? Wenger has had 6 seasons to sort it out and has been found wanting. If we get a new manager in, he can sell Fabregas and use that money to reinvest in the squad. If we stick with Wenger, he will waste any Fabregas transfer money by giving Denilson and Bendtner 100,000 a week wages to make them stay!!!

He will then complain about a lack of funds and go bargain basement shopping again in Ligue1.

I lost faith in Wenger last summer. Back then I thought, we should give him one last season. There is no goodwill left. He has to go.

Obiwan Kenobinil
24-05-2011, 09:28 AM
No. Spolit children the lot of you.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-05-2011, 09:48 AM
He is going to have to now and he knows it... I seriously think that he is going to spend, he will strengthen up the backline and the midfield will consist of Wilshere, Nasri, Busquets and Song with Krkic and RvP up front. From what I read, Barcelona are offering us any player or two for Cesc apart from the main six eg: Messi, Villa, Pique, Valdes, Xavi and Iniesta in a swap for Cesc... Now out of the players available for us to pinch, I would make it the two in the line up...

I reckon next seasons line-up will be like this:

Schesny

Sagna
Vermaelen
Samba
Gibbs

Nasri
Busquets
Wilshere
Walcott

RvP

Krkic

Thats my opinion. We will make signings...

If it was to be any midfielder they give us, it'd probably be Keita. I'd be ok with that actually, assuming he is there in place of Diaby.

Flavs
24-05-2011, 11:12 AM
With the current bunch of players we have I don't think there is any other manager who would make any difference to anything...

I "literally" couldnt disagree with that any more than i do, there is nothing wrong with the players physically, technically, and ability wise, we have some brilliant if not world class players. Even the players who get vilified on here are good enough for 85% of the otehr top flight teams around Europe and we have some genuine prospects that will just get better and better.

What we dont have currently is a tactic set that makes the best use of what we have and we dont pay enough attention to the fundamentals of the game that otehr teams with far less ability do so well. With more focus on set pieces, defensive set up, communication, keeping it simple at times and paying attention in defence we would be at least 10-15 points better off a season.

Letters
24-05-2011, 01:02 PM
No. Spolit children the lot of you.

I think that's unfair. We as Arsenal fans have been spoilt.
And some of the kneejerking on here...well, the old place, was ridiculous.
But I don't think people are being unreasonable. It's been 6 years without a trophy. Now if you're a Newcastle fan then to complain about that would be stupid but we're not, we're Arsenal fans and our club has a rich history of success. There is a reasonable expectation of continued success given our history and current resources. And Wenger has raised our level and our expectations further still. He has done brilliantly to keep us at this level amid the stadium move and in an era of billionaire owners. But given that he has kept us at this level (perennial top 4 finishes, last 16 and better of the CL, often getting to the latter stages of other cup competitions) surely expecting us to go and win one here and there is reasonable.

There are some people who were whining after 2 or 3 trophyless seasons. Those people were acting like spoilt brats IMO. But with every year that goes by, every collapse, every Cup final failure, every year where the same flaws are not addressed and stop us from fulfiling our potential, the number of people who think Wenger's best years are behind him grows.

LDG
24-05-2011, 01:11 PM
It's not the lack of trophies ffs.

It's the constant refusal to correct basic errors. It's not necessarily the team, as they're clearly talented players. It's Wenger's refusal to make the basic changes needed IN ORDER for us to be where we could and should be....challenging until the end of the season for silverware.

There's no 100% definite that we'd win a trophy, but we as fans need to see that he is addressing the obvious issues which fuck us every season. And he refuses. So what are we supposed to do?? Accept it??

Marc Overmars
24-05-2011, 01:13 PM
How spoilt of us to demand a competent defence. :angry:

Letters
24-05-2011, 01:39 PM

It's the constant refusal to correct basic errors. It's not necessarily the team, as they're clearly talented players. It's Wenger's refusal to make the basic changes needed IN ORDER for us to be where we could and should be....challenging until the end of the season for silverware.

There's no 100% definite that we'd win a trophy, but we as fans need to see that he is addressing the obvious issues which fuck us every season. And he refuses. So what are we supposed to do?? Accept it??

OK, you're right. I mentioned trophies because that's a reasonable expectation for a squad this good.
But yes, the thing that has really made people snap is the basic errors which we KEEP making which are not being addressed despite Wenger quite openly admitting that there are problems. And they're not problems which would cost much to fix. Organising the defence so it doesn't keep conceding stupid goals from set pieces/long, straight balls. It's basic stuff.
The end result is no trophies and people would be fine with that if this was a mid-table squad who we felt were fighting for every point and doing their best, but they're not, they're a very talented squad who have such a weak mentality and poor defensive organisation that they'll never win anything despite clearly being good enough to.
Basically I need a squad I can believe in again.

budesonide
24-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Basically I need a squad I can believe in again.

And that wont happen with wenger at the helm. The system is broken. His last few captains going back to vieira's last year with us shows that.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Spot on, and we want our football back, decent entertaining attacking football instead of the shit currently being served up. Surely entertainment (and I don't mean being a source of entertainment for opposing fans who laugh their arses off at us) has to figure in there or what's the point?

Joker
27-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes, Wenger should be replaced as manager. He said he was building a team for the future back in 2006, around the time when he sold many of the players who had won us a succession of trophies in the previous few years, including 2 leagues and 3 FA Cups.

Well, here we are 5 years later, and we have completely stagnated. It is manifest that Wenger does not have the answers to our problems, as he keeps repeating the tired old bullshit that he's been coming out with for the last 5 years. If only we had a bit of luck, he says, if only UEFA's financial fair play regulations were in place we would be able to win and compete on a "fair" basis against teams like Chelsea and Man City. This is complete smoke and mirrors tactics from Wenger, who fails to acknowledge either to himself or the fans that there are fundamental failings with this squad of players and his management style (including tactics), which have been evident for very many years, much before City were taken over.

If we continue to persevere with Wenger's discredited approach, we're going to continue to regress, especially as teams like Liverpool, City, Tottenham are looking to strengthen their squads and have real ambitions, while Wenger hasn't accepted that his fundamental approach is flawed, meaning he's only really going to make cosmetic changes in the summer, which won't be anywhere near radical enough to break this cycle of underachievement.

Power n Glory
27-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I think that's unfair. We as Arsenal fans have been spoilt.
And some of the kneejerking on here...well, the old place, was ridiculous.
But I don't think people are being unreasonable. It's been 6 years without a trophy. Now if you're a Newcastle fan then to complain about that would be stupid but we're not, we're Arsenal fans and our club has a rich history of success. There is a reasonable expectation of continued success given our history and current resources. And Wenger has raised our level and our expectations further still. He has done brilliantly to keep us at this level amid the stadium move and in an era of billionaire owners. But given that he has kept us at this level (perennial top 4 finishes, last 16 and better of the CL, often getting to the latter stages of other cup competitions) surely expecting us to go and win one here and there is reasonable.

There are some people who were whining after 2 or 3 trophyless seasons. Those people were acting like spoilt brats IMO. But with every year that goes by, every collapse, every Cup final failure, every year where the same flaws are not addressed and stop us from fulfiling our potential, the number of people who think Wenger's best years are behind him grows.

I agree with you on that but not about the people that were 'moaning' after two or three throphyless seasons. Was there some sort of threshold to when it was acceptable to start calling out the mistakes and problems? I don't think there should be. Obviously there are some OTT posts as usual but I remember a few good threads pinpointing specific problems ages ago and now we have a situation where it's just snowballed into a bigger a problem and because it's happened so often, people have finally lost their patients.

Zimm used to get ripped on here. He was calling things early. Was he moaning for the sake of it or could he see serious problems? I'd say the latter. Remember the long Denilson debates and all the stat nonsense? Look now, after all that time wasted playing him in the first team, we've sacrificed points, time, even players just to accommodate him and now it looks like a huge waste of time because he can't even get into the first team yet he has the nerve to say he wants to leave because he's a 'winner'. It was said ages ago that we need players like Song and Jack playing in the middle, Denilson didn't offer much on attack or defence. Now look look what's been concluded after 3 seasons. He's not good enough.

On the old site there were debates about the youth system, defence, the types of players we need to bring in, Wenger's team selection, his poor tactics and subs....most of this stuff was said 2-3 seasons ago. It's an 'I told you so' moment, I'm afraid. (Where the heck are the smilies?) I'd say the penny has finally dropped but it's a damn shame it's come to this. I just hope come next season, Wenger shuts us all up. I don't look forwards to watching Arsenal anymore and that's unusual. He has to pull it together.

I voted yes, we need to replace him but I want to see what he does next season. If he goes, the board need to do it properly and line up a coach before he leaves.

Boss
28-05-2011, 03:24 AM

It's funny how some of the biggest detractors of Wenger in this thread were slaughtering Zimm 2-3 years ago.

fakeyank
28-05-2011, 08:25 AM
He needs to go! Not because he doesnt spend money. Its because he doesnt rectify the obvious problems.

Why is our attacking play so slow and boring? What happened to the football that was played when he came?

Why dont our strikers ever get into the box?

Why are players like Bendtner and Chakma played out of position?

When will our defense learn to defend? Why are we one of the weakest at defending set pieces for the last few seasons?

Why cant we get a defensive coach when we are so weak at defending? Surely it wouldnt cost us a mountain to get a defensive coach.

Why do we always seem to roll off and die in the last 3-4 months of a season?

Why do the players not seem to give a fuck about the club? Watching the cunts play the CC final was a joke.. it was a final after many years, chance of winning a trophy and the players got off the block as if they were playing a charity match! We lost to a team that got relegated.. that says it all really!

Why does he let go off Senior players so easily? In fact not bringing Vieira back was a huge mistake IMO. Agree he has no legs and is not the same player but a player like him can have a huge impact in the dressing room. Surely an educated man like AW should know the effect it would have in the dressing room.

These problems are not money related. They are just tactics or training ground stuff which AW is doing wrong for the last 4-5 seasons running.. If we were losing because the players gave a fuck but we just cannot compete with the City's and Chelsea's, thats a different thing. We have a very talented squad but we just dont have the heart or character of winners. That unfortunately stems from the manager.

Xhaka Can’t
28-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Boss, 2-3 years ago, it would have been unfair to be critical of Wenger to the extent we are now. It was an entirely different scenario where there were restrictions on finance as there was huge uncertainty over the Highbury Square development given the impending global financial collapse. The Club had also just completed the largest capital expenditure project any football club has ever taken on in the history of the game - a project largely made possible as a result of his work.

You could argue that Wenger managed this process incredibly well, but adapted to managing that situation so well, that he has become too immersed in it and has failed to adapt to the changing circumstances we see today.

Cripps_orig
28-05-2011, 10:17 AM
As others have no doubt mentioned, i want Wenger gone cos he doesnt solve the obvious problems we have. He doesnt even try to. The trophyless years i can handle, i understand we arent win going to win trophies all the time and we'll have barren runs. Thats football but that does not mean i dont want us to win trophies and when you get so close to trophies and then fail due to the obvious problems then that is all down to Wenger.

Can anyone see him changing? No neither can i. Hence we need a change.

He seems to think the fans want him to spend £50m on one player to justify his BS about not spending money. We'd rather he spend £50m on 4 or 5 players to improve the squad. He completely failed at his job last summer and should have gone then but our inept board gave him a new contract which was the start of our downfall this season.

This is Wengers biggest summer of his career. If he fails again then he has to walk on September 1st or be pushed out. The tide is turning, the fans are growing restless

Özim
28-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Boss, 2-3 years ago, it would have been unfair to be critical of Wenger to the extent we are now. It was an entirely different scenario where there were restrictions on finance as there was huge uncertainty over the Highbury Square development given the impending global financial collapse. The Club had also just completed the largest capital expenditure project any football club has ever taken on in the history of the game - a project largely made possible as a result of his work.

You could argue that Wenger managed this process incredibly well, but adapted to managing that situation so well, that he has become too immersed in it and has failed to adapt to the changing circumstances we see today.
I don't agree with this, it's not money that stopped him solving problem areas, it was several things:

a) His blind belief that the young players had it in them
b) Poor coaching, seemingly little or no work on problems
c) Signing the wrong players, signed for the way they could fit into his passing style rather than our need

It's easy to blame money, but at the end of the day even then he had many overpaid young players who had achieved nothing, a more rounded approach might have yielded better results.

IMO even then there was a general lack of hunger and desire in the team as well as no leadership.

Xhaka Can’t
28-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't agree with this, it's not money that stopped him solving problem areas, it was several things:

a) His blind belief that the young players had it in them
b) Poor coaching, seemingly little or no work on problems
c) Signing the wrong players, signed for the way they could fit into his passing style rather than our need

It's easy to blame money, but at the end of the day even then he had many overpaid young players who had achieved nothing, a more rounded approach might have yielded better results.

IMO even then there was a general lack of hunger and desire in the team as well as no leadership.

I'm not blaming money. I'm pointing out the situation as it was then and how the environment is completely different now.

Three years ago, I'd say our postion was almost as well as could have been expected given what I mentioned earlier. It is the failure to move on from that position since that gives rise to criticism.

Özim
28-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm not blaming money. I'm pointing out the situation as it was then and how the environment is completely different now.

Three years ago, I'd say our postion was almost as well as could have been expected given what I mentioned earlier. It is the failure to move on from that position since that gives rise to criticism.
Ok fair enough, I put it down to a flaw in his methods rather than us not being able to compete.

The problem now as it was then was his rigid policies and ways, nothings changed really it's just that we're a few years further down the line.

Xhaka Can’t
28-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I think his methods played a part, but they may also have been part of the reason we maintained our position back then - and for me, back then, maintaining our position while there was significant uncertainty at the time was the key objective. The Highbury Square and Queensland Rad developments cast a huge shadow over everything at the Club and there was no telling how much further the financial climate could have deteriorated.

Thankfully those fears were not realised, but the strategy that was right for the time has not changed to reflect the new reality, and that in my view as far as the playing side goes, is Wenger's fault. He seems totally unwilling to change and I find that incredibly frustrating from a man who brought so much success as a result of the changes he initially brought to the Club.

Power n Glory
28-05-2011, 01:34 PM
We probably had better and more experienced players in the squad back then. We still had the same sort of problems. We could beat the big teams but would buckle against the small teams. Wenger probably spent more money back then as well. We bought Ade, Theo and Diaby in one window. We bought Rosicky and Gallas in another with Baptista on loan and those decisions were made during times of uncertainty and when the debt was massive.

Finances should be left out of this one. We're seeing the same mistakes we made seasons ago happen against the same teams now but rolled into one season.