How much have Liverpool spent now? :wacko:

GP
13-07-2011, 09:51 PM
£20million?? :lol:

In that case, Cesc must be worth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7uJDhVZIE

Sirjackofwilshere
13-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank god is all I can say. Are Liverpool aiming for the most expensively assembled, distinctly average collection of English players in history? Laughable the way the King Kenny romantics has their fans in a trance. Woy was hung, drawn and quartered for buying the same quality of players...pff at least he didn't have to spend a fortune though.

Master Splinter
13-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Barton next for them?

Mr.Singh
13-07-2011, 11:33 PM
:dancingman: Thank god for that Scottish wanker

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 01:12 AM
although a huge sigh of relief is heaved in the land of the rising house price!

it still doesn't make our own transfer market inactivity easier to stomach

Downing would not have been the worst signing for us but for the that kind of money........hai dozo! as we say in these parts

Injury Time
14-07-2011, 08:04 AM
:dancingman: Thank god for that Scottish wanker
Racist :sulk:

Özim
14-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Hardly anything to get excited about, we were never going to spend that kind of money on him.

It's a sad state of affairs when we're more excited about other clubs transfer dealings then our own.

Kano
14-07-2011, 09:20 AM
think you missed the point mate, it's not excitment, it's relief the story about us wasn't true

downing is average, so well done liverpool for wasting huge money on pointless players

Özim
14-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I think Downing is quite good personally, decent crosser and was very good at Middlesborough. If he can re discover his form he could turn out to be a decent signing.

Moreover they badly needed some width and he gives them that.

Injury Time
14-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I think Downing is quite good personally, decent crosser and was very good at Middlesborough. If he can re discover his form he could turn out to be a decent signing.

Seen him at a few matches and is a mardy, sulky little biatch, certainly disappears if not getting run of play or his team up against it, he looked good at Boro as the rest were shite and the TV cameras were on. Lucky escape and Wenger would deserv to be sacked for spending £20m on him tbh.

Shaqiri Is Boss
14-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Thank god is all I can say. Are Liverpool aiming for the most expensively assembled, distinctly average collection of English players in history? Laughable the way the King Kenny romantics has their fans in a trance. Woy was hung, drawn and quartered for buying the same quality of players...pff at least he didn't have to spend a fortune though.
I won't argue with the rest as it's all opinion but what?!

And I don't believe the fee is £20m either, probably a bit less. But that's beside the point.

Cripps_orig
14-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Wouldnt have minded him here but not for £20m. Was very good last season at Villa. Far better than Young who is shit.

Man Utd :pal:

Shaqiri Is Boss
14-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I guess it can't be judged for another 2/3 seasons. If we get back into the CL then it may be viewed differently, as well as whether he can bring others into the game.

£16m for Young in the last year of his contract is just as bad, imo.

Boss
14-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I think it's overpriced and that he's a bit crap but you could take away 5M for British tax, to be fair, and 15M for a steady player in the Premiership going to a top side is hardly unregular.

That said, if he and Henderson get the best out of Carroll all the money spent will be a bargain.

Özim
14-07-2011, 11:53 AM
In the end Liverpool needed width, if he performs well enough it will be money well spent.

They've lack that for a while so it's addressing a problem area at least.

Champagne Charlie
14-07-2011, 12:20 PM
If Downing was right footed he'd be a Championship player. And if he was right footed and not English we'd probably never have heard of him!

Very, very average player in my opinion.

Darth Vela
14-07-2011, 04:21 PM
In the end Liverpool needed width, if he performs well enough it will be money well spent.

They've lack that for a while so it's addressing a problem area at least.

Yeah, that was why I was amazed that Rieira got such short shrift, whilst he was in the team they got themselves into a position of challenging for the title, not due to him actually being any good but he stayed wide and stretched the play so Gerrard and Tores could do their thang in the middle. If Downing can help them similarly, he may well be worth it imo.

Marc Overmars
14-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Not fussed that we haven't pursued him but I don't think Downing is a bad player really, he gets a lot of stick because somewhere down the line it became fashionable to make him the butt of all jokes.There's nothing outstanding about him but I don't think you need to have one defining quality to be effective. I think he can do a job for Liverpool who have craved some genuine width for years.

20m is crazy shit but shouldn't be a surprise given this market.

Shaqiri Is Boss
15-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, that was why I was amazed that Rieira got such short shrift, whilst he was in the team they got themselves into a position of challenging for the title, not due to him actually being any good but he stayed wide and stretched the play so Gerrard and Tores could do their thang in the middle. If Downing can help them similarly, he may well be worth it imo.
I agree with you for the exact reasons you give. He wasn't a great player by any means but he allowed others to do their thing.

He was a regular in his first season and started whenever he was fit in 09/10. Unfortunately he wasn't fit often enough (hamstrings) and then got himself suspended and transfer listed by March :lol: