PDA

View Full Version : Wenger- my team is not defensively weak

Fats
14-07-2011, 03:25 PM
OH FFS!!!!

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsène Wenger insists Arsenal are not defensively weak but admits his side do need to tighten up on set-pieces this season.A number of defenders have been linked with a move to Emirates Stadium this summer but Carl Jenkinson is the only addition to Wenger’s squad so far.The Frenchman believes the players he has at his disposal have enough quality but he appreciates that improvements need to be made. “I don’t think we are weak defensively but we are an offensive team,” said Wenger. “Sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams.“I believe we have quality defenders. One is Thomas Vermaelen and he did not play last year.“In open play, we were one of the better defences [last season] but we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”

Could the men in the white coats please stand by!!!

Darth Vela
14-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Yet again, he says something that makes sense with valid points but he knows this is just going to give the media something to throw at him so why bother? A bit of self-awareness with what he says could go a long way to helping keep the knuckle-draggers off the back of the club.

LDG
14-07-2011, 03:32 PM
:haha:

He's gonna get lynched.

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 03:33 PM
technically he may not be wrong on a number of points.........as he admits an area of concern were goals allowed at set pieces

what people are going to jump on is the fact that he mentions nothing about bringing anyone in to help in this department but at the same time nor does mention that he is not thinking of bringing someone in..........

I agree Verms coming back is going to be a boost but not enough of one as this problem is not only confined to last year.........I do believe Wenger has an idea about what is to be done and we will see recruitments of defensive personnel, what we cant be sure about is that those recruits take the form of a Cahill or another Squacli

Best to sit tight and wait and see

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 03:35 PM
forgot to add that Wenge has to be the most annoying person on Gods earth

heaven above, can only wonder how his parents put up with

selassie
14-07-2011, 03:41 PM
By Giuseppe MuroArsène Wenger insists Arsenal are not defensively weak but admits his side do need to tighten up on set-pieces this season.A number of defenders have been linked with a move to Emirates Stadium this summer but Carl Jenkinson is the only addition to Wenger’s squad so far.Oh ffs!!!!!!!The Frenchman believes the players he has at his disposal have enough quality but he appreciates that improvements need to be made. “I don’t think we are weak defensively but we are an offensive team,” said Wenger. “Sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams.“I believe we have quality defenders. One is Thomas Vermaelen and he did not play last year.“In open play, we were one of the better defences [last season] but we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”

I've just seen the article on Arsenal.Com

I suppose that's his way of saying that he might not buy a new Centre Back. I basically think he's identified the players he wants and has made moves but can't get the players for the prices he wants to get them for I.E. on the cheap.

We go through this every single season with Arsene, at the end of every season after our annual collapse he acknowledges we have a defensive problem and says that he will buy new Defender then nothing happens.

Arsene says "I don't think we are weak defensively we are an offensive team, sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams" What does this mean?

I hope he's not trying to say because we attack more than anybody else it's fine for us to conceed more goals!
Manchester United & Chelsea are attacking teams but don't seem to have problems defending set pieces.

We've had the same set piece problems for around 3 or 4 seasons now, what is he doing to try and resolve them? O

Honestly...I despair. :o

LDG
14-07-2011, 03:43 PM
forgot to add that Wenge has to be the most annoying person on Gods earth

heaven above, can only wonder how his parents put up with

:lol:

Mummy Wenger: "Arsene, eat the rest of your dinner!!"

AW: "Err, no. I am in a waiting period. My eating get's done later in the day. I will only eat super super quality food"

Mummy: "But you're looking so thin and gaunt"

AW: "Everybody thinks they have the healthiest son at home"

Letters
14-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Hmm. Well, most of what he says is right IMO. Our defenders are not bad players but we do concede goals in silly ways, far too many set pieces.
Basically he's not far off but he's cited defensive problems previously and not sorted it out so I'm skeptical as to whether he will this time.

As ever the headline picks out the most nonsensical part of what he said and ignores the bits he said which are spot on.

Darth Vela
14-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I've just seen the article on Arsenal.Com

I suppose that's his way of saying that he might not buy a new Centre Back. I basically think he's identified the players he wants and has made moves but can't get the players for the prices he wants to get them for I.E. on the cheap.

We go through this every single season with Arsene, at the end of every season after our annual collapse he acknowledges we have a defensive problem and says that he will buy new Defender then nothing happens.

Arsene says "I don't think we are weak defensively we are an offensive team, sometimes that exposes our defenders a bit more than other teams" What does this mean?

I hope he's not trying to say because we attack more than anybody else it's fine for us to conceed more goals!
Manchester United & Chelsea are attacking teams but don't seem to have problems defending set pieces.

We've had the same set piece problems for around 3 or 4 seasons now, what is he doing to try and resolve them? O

Honestly...I despair. :o

Tbf, he did buy two defenders and shipped out 3 last season so he is changing things it just didn't work last summer as it just isn't enough to bring in a few more defenders (except for Samba, he can defend set-pieces by himself), we need more height and organisation/determination at set-pieces in the entire team rather than a few guys who have to do it all themselves, ofc the organisation is pretty much his problem so he's made that bed to lie in.

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 03:52 PM
:lol:

Mummy Wenger: "Arsene, eat the rest of your dinner!!"

AW: "Err, no. I am in a waiting period. My eating get's done later in the day. I will only eat super super quality food"

Mummy: "But you're looking so thin and gaunt"

AW: "Everybody thinks they have the healthiest son at home"

Mummy: But you will waste away if you dont get any good into your system

AW: Would rather waste away, than waste any money on quality food that could help me become strong and fit

Mummy: Dont you want to become like your little brother who has recently grown bigger and stronger than you?

AW: Hmmmmmmm! wonder where he got his food from? I am sure that he has a secret benifactor............

to be continued

Master Splinter
14-07-2011, 03:55 PM
As crude as it sounds, getting a big (preferably black) fucker against the aerial assault teams makes perfect sense. It is so infuriating to see us dominate, have thousands of easy chances to put away the game, our defence having had an untroubled afternoon, only for one punt or corner to cause mayhem and then see the ball flash past our keeper.

Bolton away being a perfect example.

We are such a strange team :banghead:.

LDG
14-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Thing is, I can understand that we're open to getting hit on the break because we play so far forward. I can take that....it's our game afterall.

What pisses me off is the continued ignorance (even when he declares it himself) to danger from set places and long straight balls. It wouldn't take much to coach this, but he is so stubborn, he won't bring anyone in to sort it out.

This is why we need someone who is experienced in that back line, with height, pace and leadership. Someone who knows the ropes and will marshall the defence accordingly. That shit costs money, so yet again, he'll leave it to chance that our current CB's will sort it out for themselves.

Either buy in the quality, or get someone in to coach it. Either way, this needs sorting.

Dog Toffee
14-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Whats he supposed to say, we are defensively weak? That'll give everyone some confidence wouldn't it. This thread is weak.

LDG
14-07-2011, 04:00 PM
This thread is weak.

So's your A hole.

Tipsychubbs
14-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I think a defensive coach would be able to drill the awareness and positioning aspect into the defence with regard to the setpieces and general defensive play. When Keown came in one season to assist in the training sessions I was ecstatic, but unfortunately it didn't last :(

I actually think a far bigger problem is our shape off the ball. We are all over the place, no one seems to know what they are doing, the team isn't collectively working together and getting in the right positions. We are very vulnerable to the counter attack ourselves before we even get to the CB's and FB's.

It does seem to give an air of AW telling the team to go out and "express themselves", but tactically we seem to be very naive. If you watch Man U/Chelsea/Barca's positioning when they haven't got the ball, you can tell they have been drilled in training, all over the pitch the players know how to double up, press at the right moments, cover spaces, and are aware of their other teamates; basically working as a team to get the ball back. I'm not suggesting we go out and press at 200% for 90 minutes, but something has to be done. It's blindingly obvious there is something wrong with the way we are setup and shaped as a team, and Wenger is making excuses and trying to cover it up by emphasizing the attacking aspects. Any tactically astute manager with a gampeplan has us found out and rumbled.

Is it going to change? I'm not going to hold my breath, I've seen it too many times with this stubborn manager :banghead:

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Whats he supposed to say, we are defensively weak? That'll give everyone some confidence wouldn't it. This thread is weak.

to be honest I think everyone is having a jiggle this time around because what is says is so slam bang down the middle, it can only come out of the mouth of Wenger

he admits in a round about way that we had problems with set pieces but doesnt really hint on doing anything about it

the thread may be weak but to be fair a board of powerful, mind bending debates will lead us to an earlier grave than Wenger-sophy could ever do!

Dog Toffee
14-07-2011, 04:13 PM
to be honest I think everyone is having a jiggle this time around because what is says is so slam bang down the middle, it can only come out of the mouth of Wenger

he admits in a round about way that we had problems with set pieces but doesnt really hint on doing anything about it

the thread may be weak but to be fair a board of powerful, mind bending debates will lead us to an earlier grave than Wenger-sophy could ever do!

Wenger later went on to say "We are doing everything we can about it" (Goal.com)

Fixed.

Master Splinter
14-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Can't wait to see this thread in a few hours :popcorn:.

(Especally if LDG and Letters decide to indulge in another round of circular head-banging).

Olivier's xmas twist
14-07-2011, 04:16 PM

AW: Would rather waste away, than waste any money on quality food that could help me become strong and fit

Mummy: Dont you want to become like your little brother who has recently grown bigger and stronger than you?

AW: Hmmmmmmm! wonder where he got his food from? I am sure that he has a secret benifactor............

to be continued

lol

LDG
14-07-2011, 04:17 PM

(Especally if LDG and Letters decide to indulge in another round of circular head-banging).

:unsure:

Master Splinter
14-07-2011, 04:22 PM
:unsure:

In that you know there's no way to reason with certain posters, so you may as well be :banghead:.

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Letters has been going toe to toe with a few recently.........I often have to the Tour de France thread for cover:upset:

LDG
14-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Ahhhh.

Lolerz.

Fuck that shit man. I won't be as bored this evening. :beer:

Boss
14-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Wenger in January

"Ideally, it would be better if they were adapted to English football because if you need players now in January you cannot wait three months before they can play for you," Wenger said. "We have always people in mind and we check out. We look everywhere.

"It's difficult to find at this period of the season but overall I feel we have so many games that it's very important to focus on the next game. We still have solutions internally with [Ignasi] Miquel [the reserve-team captain], [Alex] Song, who can play centre-back and with Squillaci, who should come back very quickly. If we find somebody at the right level we will do it, if not we will continue like this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/11/arsene-wenger-arsenal-defender-transfer

Wenger in May

He said: "We conceded 21 goals from set plays and only 17 from open play, less than anybody else.

"We have been caught on set pieces and [for the first goal] Kenwyne Jones didn’t even need to jump. That is of course something we have to correct and we have to get some experience because I feel we are sometimes a bit naive.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/wenger-hints-at-acquiring-defensive-reinforcements-153911.html#ixzz1S66XFz6u

Wenger in June

"In 2003 we were also the best away team, but didn't win. We kept going and in 2004 we were very strong.

"We conceded very few goals from open play, most of them were from set pieces in a way you don't want to concede goals.

"It's something that's easy to correct. We need to improve the size of our squad. We need a bigger variety in the height of our players. We need to be more capable of fighting against some characteristics than we have been this season."

http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3110303/Wenger-We-need-taller-players.html

He needs to shut his fucking mouth.

Letters
14-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Letters has been going toe to toe with a few recently.........I often have to the Tour de France thread for cover:upset:

Well. Thing is, you look at the headline and it sounds stupid. If you read it and see where he says that we're too weak from set pieces and they're working to fix it...well, that's hard to argue with him. His assertion that we're not weak defensively is debatable but if he means that our defensive players are basically good enough then I agree. They're not a good enough unit though, that is obvious.

Whether we'll actually fix it...I dunno. I'm skeptical. But I'm pleased to hear him acknowledge the set piece issue 'cos that's driven us all mad. That isn't about our more attacking style, it's just plain bad organisation.

AKBapologist
14-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Clearest indication yet that he's not in the market for defensive re-enforcements. Nutter.

Fist of Lehmann
14-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Lies, damn lies, statistics.

Goals per game conceded (all comps)
06-07 0.90
07-08 0.91
08-09 0.89
09-10 1.15
10-11 1.10

Not sure if this is significant but this coincides with our change to 4-3-3.
To outward appearances personnel is the major factor in our defence, but I can't remember who our main guys were for 08-09 and 09-10.

Was it Kolo-Gallas and Gallas-TommyV?

Also last season.
Goals per game conceded (all comps pre Carling debacle)

Goals per game conceded (all comps post Carling debacle)

This suggests something or other.

Xhaka Can’t
14-07-2011, 04:51 PM
He is essentially saying that nothing is going to change. Which is pretty much what I expected at the end of the season.

Özim
14-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Wenger in "we're not weak defensively" shocker

What's new, he's always failed to address the defensive side before, why change the habit of a lifetime?

You'd have to be crazy to believe this man knows what he's doing to be honest, after 6 years you'd think he might have learnt a few things, clearly not. If he looks of his rocker on the sidelines again this coming season he'll only have himself to blame.

Ah well, bring on next summer!

Cripps_orig
14-07-2011, 04:56 PM
We're fucked

Letters
14-07-2011, 04:57 PM
He is essentially saying that nothing is going to change. Which is pretty much what I expected at the end of the season.

How do you figure that from "we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”

:shrug:

Whether he'll actually do anything to fix that problem, well, I'm not holding my breath. But he's acknowledged an obvious problem.

Özim
14-07-2011, 05:02 PM
How do you figure that from "we conceded too many goals on set-pieces and that is where we want to improve this season.”

Whether he'll actually do anything to fix that problem, well, I'm not holding my breath. But he's acknowledged an obvious problem.
So hang on a second just because he says we need to improve at set pieces it's fine?

Our problems aren't just at set pieces either btw, several times last season a hoof ball over the top beat the whole defence, that's ignoring all the individual errors.

I don't see how him coming out with a few hollow words is good enough, I mean I could say I'm going to win the lottery but without buying a ticket I don't have much chance.

Actions speak louder than words at the end of the day.

Xhaka Can’t
14-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Saying it, and doing something about it are two different things.

What faith do you expect me to have in any thing improving when there are no changes (other than one out) in our defensive coaching and playing staff?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-07-2011, 05:14 PM
There's always an area we're weak in defensively, sure it can be pointed towards us conceding a lot on set pieces last season but I am fairly sure the season before, the reverse was true - we mainly conceded from open play.

Kano
14-07-2011, 05:46 PM
what a douche

Marc Overmars
14-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Of course we're weak defensively. He can dress it up however he wants to make it sound politically correct and in context, it's pedantic nonsense. Anyone who's seen this team over the past 5 years knows exactly how vulnerable we are under pressure at the back.

fakeyank
14-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Wenger in January

Wenger in May

Wenger in June

He needs to shut his fucking mouth.

:gp:

Teg :bow:

Power n Glory
14-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Saying it, and doing something about it are two different things.

What faith do you expect me to have in any thing improving when there are no changes (other than one out) in our defensive coaching and playing staff?

There is no point in even getting into this.

Just a few days ago, we were discussing Wenger's comments about us being an offensive team and not needing to change our philosophy. Now he's saying we have good players and we're not defensively weak. So his philosophy won't change and neither will the personnel. How are we going to progress if we're doing nothing about either.

This is the pattern. If Wenger fails to sign a player in the summer or it starts looking really unlikely, he starts g'ing up the current players in the squad to get them mentally prepared for the season. He did the same with Almunia when he knew he couldn't bring in a goal keeper.

This reverse psychology shit isn't working. Wenger can pull the Jedi mind tricks on the young and naive, put on as much as front as he wants for the press and fans, but there will always be that collective voice of decent in the dressing room. How the players feel is what counts and he's in denial. Just read the interview about Cesc and Nasri and how he believes they are committed and will stay but could go or their hearts are torn...etc. It's full of contradictions and he's taking a huge risk. Again.

selassie
14-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Tbf, he did buy two defenders and shipped out 3 last season so he is changing things it just didn't work last summer as it just isn't enough to bring in a few more defenders (except for Samba, he can defend set-pieces by himself), we need more height and organisation/determination at set-pieces in the entire team rather than a few guys who have to do it all themselves, ofc the organisation is pretty much his problem so he's made that bed to lie in.

Problem is he took an unnecessary risk gambling on potential and effectively a cast off.

We would have been better off spending the combined amount that we spent on Kos & Squillaci by purchasing a top quality defender who can bring leadership qualities to the team. Arsene is always trying to cut corners.

P.S. I totally agree with you re: Organisation etc.

fakeyank
14-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Lies, damn lies, statistics.

Goals per game conceded (all comps)
06-07 0.90
07-08 0.91
08-09 0.89
09-10 1.15
10-11 1.10

Not sure if this is significant but this coincides with our change to 4-3-3.
To outward appearances personnel is the major factor in our defence, but I can't remember who our main guys were for 08-09 and 09-10.

Was it Kolo-Gallas and Gallas-TommyV?

Also last season.
Goals per game conceded (all comps pre Carling debacle)

Goals per game conceded (all comps post Carling debacle)

This suggests something or other.

Ahh Finally! I do think that we have become a pile of shit once we changed to 4-3-3. 07/08 season when we came the closest, we played with Ade and one other striker. I think we should play that this season with RVP and Chakma or RVP/Wally

Özim
14-07-2011, 06:47 PM
09-10 was also with Vermaelen the guy he thinks will make all the difference.

Decent defender but isn't going to make us much more solid though.

selassie
14-07-2011, 08:41 PM

to be continued

Mummy: Well your little brother has a friend and he keeps on giving him lots and lots of money to buy that quality food

AW: Mummy....we live in a society where you have to respect the rules, I believe in only spending some of the pocket money you give me for washing up, I prefer to grow my own food and develop it than buy it

Mummy: Yes but since your brother has been spending lots of money on food you have not spent any, would you like me to give you more money, the same amount as your little brother?

AW: If you gave me loads of money I would give it straight back to you

Master Splinter
14-07-2011, 08:54 PM

See? This is much better than constant moaning and abusing.

Letters
14-07-2011, 09:28 PM
So hang on a second just because he says we need to improve at set pieces it's fine?

Well, no. He's got to do something about it too. And if he doesn't and we're conceding as regularly from set pieces as we have been then I'll be as pissed off as anyone. But he HAS acknowledged it's a problem. This is just another example where Wenger's said something you agree with but you're taking an opportunity to have another moan.

Özim
14-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, no. He's got to do something about it too. And if he doesn't and we're conceding as regularly from set pieces as we have been then I'll be as pissed off as anyone. But he HAS acknowledged it's a problem. This is just another example where Wenger's said something you agree with but you're taking an opportunity to have another moan.
Not really, he's showing no inclination to do anything about it.

He's basically said we're fine defensively, although we have some problems in the air because we get more exposed since we're more offensive, but that Vermaelen who didn't play last year is back.

He says we have to improve but that's obvious, I don't see how we will without new players however.

Anyone can say they need to get better, but if they don't do the necessary they don't. It's not only set pieces that are the problem either, but he seems to think we have one of the best defences and that's our only problem.

GP
14-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Good post.

Letters
14-07-2011, 09:43 PM
He says we have to improve but that's obvious

So you agree with what he says. Good.
As for new players, IMO our defensive players are decent enough, they just need better organisation especially at set pieces which is what Wenger's said. And you've agreed.

GP
14-07-2011, 09:52 PM
As for new players, IMO our defensive players are decent enough, they just need better organisation especially at set pieces which is what Wenger's said. And you've agreed.

Good post

Power n Glory
14-07-2011, 10:37 PM

If Wenger won't change his philosophy or personnel, then how is this change going to come about? Wenger couldn't even coach Toure, Senderos and Gallas to work as a unit and those guys are better than the defenders we have now.

We said we needed a radical change this summer and we're hearing more of the same stuff and you seem to be accepting it as if it's the right way to go. How are we going to be any better next season if we continue on this way?

fakeyank
14-07-2011, 10:50 PM
If Wenger won't change his philosophy or personnel, then how is this change going to come about? Wenger couldn't even coach Toure, Senderos and Gallas to work as a unit and those guys are better than the defenders we have now.

We said we needed a radical change this summer and we're hearing more of the same stuff and you seem to be accepting it as if it's the right way to go. How are we going to be any better next season if we continue on this way?

Good post

Letters
14-07-2011, 10:50 PM
If Wenger won't change his philosophy or personnel, then how is this change going to come about?

We need better defensive coaching and they need to work on set piece situations (both offensively and defensively) more in training. Whether that will happen...well, I'm not confident but he has acknowledged it's a problem so we'll see.

Who said we needed a radical change this summer? Others may have said that but I don't think we do. Better defensive organisation and some balls and we're pretty much there.

Marc Overmars
14-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Wenger never fails to acknowledge where we go wrong but at the same time when he is faced with criticism of the issue in discussion, he normally comes out with sugar coated comments like these. Possibly because he has decided to put faith in the flops again or he cannot find/afford outside improvements, so I personally find these comments worrying but unsurprising. We geared up for a summer of change but I don't believe anything of that sort will happen, hopefully I'm wrong.

hobson's choice
15-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh please Wenger, not conceding goals from open play has'nt nothing to do with the defense. It's the fact that they keep possession better than any other team in the league. Lets get real whenever their opponents have any little spell of possession it's calamity back their, and Vermaelan being back makes no difference, he's just an average defender who has manager to fool people with his "desire" and hollywood tackles.

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Oh please Wenger, not conceding goals from open play has'nt nothing to do with the defense. It's the fact that they keep possession better than any other team in the league. Lets get real whenever their opponents have any little spell of possession it's calamity back their, and Vermaelan being back makes no difference, he's just an average defender who has manager to fool people with his "desire" and hollywood tackles.

Totally agree, and if we lose Cesc and Nasri then there will be even more pressure on the defence. As we know, they won't be able to handle it, they never can. As for the current goons we have at the back, good players? He must be insane, apart from TV who is an average to above average defender based on 1 year's work (I think we give him more credit because his attitude is head and shoulders above most of the others) the rest are shite. They demonstrated how shite they are when the chips were down, they completely collapsed - particularly Djourou who ended the season playing like a schoolboy. If we go in with this lot again then the season ends for us when the first match kicks off. Sure, we'll have to go through the motions of 50 odd games but it's a certain bet there won't be anything to show for it. I struggle to think of a reason why Wenger is so against having a solid defence.

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 05:47 AM
We need better defensive coaching and they need to work on set piece situations (both offensively and defensively) more in training. Whether that will happen...well, I'm not confident but he has acknowledged it's a problem so we'll see.

Who said we needed a radical change this summer? Others may have said that but I don't think we do. Better defensive organisation and some balls and we're pretty much there.

This isn't a problem exclusive to last season. Wenger said we had a problem with set pieces a while back when we had Toure and Gallas playing. You don't think we've been practicing since then? That season he said he thought height was the problem and brought on TV, not exactly the tallest defender, but we still had defensive problems and were getting opened up. Last season with the new additions was no different.

Good coaching can sort this out but we've had many attempts to sort this and Wenger seems to think it's a concentration and psychological problem rather than technical because he thinks the players are good enough. He has to change his coaching methods or coaching staff but there is no evidence of that happening especially with his comments about being an offensive side. We've had years of practice and the problems still persists. Gallas, Toure and Senderos played alongside better players and actually had experience of winning cup finals and grinding out results to win titles but we couldn't get them working as a solid unit either.

Without an outside influence stepping in to look at the way we defend, I can't see much changing. When Adams and Keown were getting old and after we had done our first double under Wenger, we had defensive problems with set pieces and Wenger bought rubbish like Stepanovs. When we bought Campbell, we won the title in his first season and we looked solid on defence again. Wenger should buy and English defender because we've never been successful under him without one.

Flavs
15-07-2011, 06:41 AM

He's gonna get lynched.

Arsene Wenger, Arsenal manager and WUMming legend

Özim
15-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Ok so it's another pat on the back for Wenger from you for coming out with some hollow words then.

Fair enough, IMO actions speak louder than work, we need new defenders and a decent coach...this defence lacks the necessary quality and leadership.

You say I give Wenger a hard time, but you do the opposite constantly finding reasons to excuse his actions and inability to address problem issues. At the end of last season you had no choice but to admit he'd blown it, because let's face it saying anything would have looked ridiculous.

Kano
15-07-2011, 08:09 AM
This isn't a problem exclusive to last season. Wenger said we had a problem with set pieces a while back when we had Toure and Gallas playing. You don't think we've been practicing since then? That season he said he thought height was the problem and brought on TV, not exactly the tallest defender, but we still had defensive problems and were getting opened up. Last season with the new additions was no different.

interesting info

Kolo Toure is a good example. In his last season (2008-09) at Arsenal, the side conceded just 12 set piece goals as Toure cleared the ball 129 times, more than any player in the present squad. With Sol Campbell as partner in 2006, the Gunners only gave up 9. Campbell was already 30 years old and Toure five years less. This segues us to crucial aspect of set piece defending - it is a collective effort where each trusts the other to stick to their assignment. In the NFL defensive breakdowns are aptly called "blown coverage". Much of Arsenal's woes can be pointed to someone who forgot to do their job.

The best in the business Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have played five seasons together with the former close to 30 and his partner two years older. After this time spent together they epitomize discipline and focus.

Sticking Thomas Vermaelen with a raw 6' 6" centre back is not going to solve matters. Going to the French Ligue for a cut rate bargain is not going to solve the problem of experience and the learning curve. What you need is someone who gives you all these qualities in one package and proven themselves at the highest level. That someone should be a Brede Hangeland type with stats like 424 headed clearances topping the league. Fulham conceded just 10 set piece goals, the fewest in the league. That 13 goal difference could have been the difference between 4th place and the title. Therein lies the solution.

http://www.soccerblog.com/2011/06/height-does-not-necessarily-re.htm

yet he did say in 2008

I believe that we have more a size problem than quality in our defending problem,' 'Wenger said. 'Our centre backs are not very tall. I don't know what we can do. It's not only centre backs who defend. As a team we are a bit short.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1064211/Arsenal-boss-Wenger-paves-way-Djourou-reach-new-heights.html#ixzz1S9yLM5Cr

Letters
15-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Ok so it's another pat on the back for Wenger from you for coming out with some hollow words then.

No. He's just said what's obvious. He doesn't deserve huge credit for that, but he doesn't deserve criticism either.
I agree with what he said, seems like you do too.

You say I give Wenger a hard time, but you do the opposite constantly finding reasons to excuse his actions and inability to address problem issues

Nope. Again, I've quite clearly said he should have been sacked for last season's collapse. But I'm not going to keep having digs at him when I agree with that he says.

Letters
15-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Good coaching can sort this out but we've had many attempts to sort this and Wenger seems to think it's a concentration and psychological problem rather than technical because he thinks the players are good enough.

If you think coaching can sort out the problem (as do I) then you surely think the players are good enough too (as do I).
Whether he'll do anything about it this time....*sigh*, well I'm not holding my breath.
But I'm not going to take another opportunity to have a pop at him when I basically agree with what he says, that's just silly.

Özim
15-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Coaching won't address our height issues though, we need some bigger defenders....I'd also say we need some leadership back there.

I don't think the current group are good enough personally and that's discounting the fact we now have a crock at full back as well, a player who spend most of his time on the treatment table and isn't great at defending when he doesn't.

selassie
15-07-2011, 08:22 AM
The issue I have with all of this is Wenger doesn't seem capable of fixing the defensive problems. If he's not personally capable fine, but he should at least be looking to hire someone who is capable. I'm sure there are top class defensive coaches out there who would like the challenge.

Wenger's word mean nothing, actions speak louder than words.

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 12:08 PM
The issue I have with all of this is Wenger doesn't seem capable of fixing the defensive problems. If he's not personally capable fine, but he should at least be looking to hire someone who is capable. I'm sure there are top class defensive coaches out there who would like the challenge.

Wenger's word mean nothing, actions speak louder than words.

Exactly, which is the point Letters keeps missing.

Wenger has had years to whip these guys into shape and if he could coach defence and hasn't been able to. What's so different about this year compared to the days when we had Kolo, Gallas, Senderos, Djourou and Silvestre? When Sol Campbell lost his form and focus, Wenger couldn't get him back and track and we've been suffering ever since. A fresh injection has to come from somwhere. More practice won't change anything because we've been down this road before and tried the exact same thing.

If we won't sign a player that can organise a defence, then I hope we sign a defensive coach.

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Coaching won't address our height issues though, we need some bigger defenders....I'd also say we need some leadership back there.

I don't think the current group are good enough personally and that's discounting the fact we now have a crock at full back as well, a player who spend most of his time on the treatment table and isn't great at defending when he doesn't.

Not just defenders, the entire team needs a little more height imo, it's no good having 4 giants when everyone else is a midget, everyone's taller than Clichy though so him going is a good start anyway.

Letters
15-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Exactly, which is the point Letters keeps missing.

I've said several times I'm skeptical as to whether he'll be able to fix the defensive problems. :)

But I'm not going to criticise him for acknowledging it's a problem area when I agree with him. That would be silly.

Boss
15-07-2011, 12:45 PM
The point is he's talked the same shite in the past but done fuck all about it.

Wenger talks the talk but is nowhere near walking the walk.

selassie
15-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I've said several times I'm skeptical as to whether he'll be able to fix the defensive problems. :)

But I'm not going to criticise him for acknowledging it's a problem area when I agree with him. That would be silly.

He's getting criticised for not doing anything, it's not like our defence suddenly sucks, it's been in a mess for around 4-5 seasons.

I don't think folks would even criticise him if he held his hands up and acknowledged their was an issue, but whilst he does acknowledge their is a problem he throws in stuff about us not conceeding in open play, who cares, the stats tell us our defence suck..it doesn't matter how we conceed, we conceed period.

Arsene made the same mistakes with the Goalkeeping position holding a defiant stance, at one point he was even stating that Almunia was World Class! :lol:

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 01:01 PM

That's because you read the quotes and can't see the pattern. You never have. Some people can. There is a reason for all the 'moaning'. You keep going on about other posters but maybe you should take a back seat and just listen to the arguments.

dazthegooner
15-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Yep because height has been a problem with Barcelona for years ;)

Kano
15-07-2011, 02:06 PM
how high they dive has been yes

Japan Shaking All Over
15-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Not just defenders, the entire team needs a little more height imo, it's no good having 4 giants when everyone else is a midget, everyone's taller than Clichy though so him going is a good start anyway.

my concern is the mentality of the team when the chips are down, a goal behind with the clock ticking or frustration at a team playing with 10 men behind the ball.
we seem to just unravel and set-pieces? Lord have mercy, Ive seen headless chickens with more of an idea where they are

Wenger goes on about his team being young and the counter is that it is the same group that have been playing together for a while now. . . .IMO they are still young, well mentally at least, this is because Wenger refuses to ween them off the diet of false praise and equally empty forecasts that it is going to come good in the end.
What these kids need is a good dose of reality! God you would have thought that after each reoccurring collapse that they would have had enough doses already and be street wise to what to do, when the likes of Blackburn and Sunderland come to town, but no that does not seem to be the case because Mother Wenger finds another to blame, refs and the like. . . .he lets the same players start and fuck again, and adds its OK
we are good enough!
What he needs to do is come down with fire and brimstone, I mean 6 years and no success, surely even Charlie the Gooners boss would have not let that long go!
The playets get infected with Wengers words and dotting and become weak!

What we need, may be a bit of height but we also need a bit of courage, a bit if it aint over till its over. . . .
this why I think Samba would be good for us/Cahill too. . .OK, Samba may not be world class but I think we are a few trophyless seasons short of being able to attract world class these days
Samba has been in situation were he has had to fight for his wage, fight week in week out to keep his team up, knows what the smell of blood both his own and that of others. . . And most of all was a success doing so!

He has the qualities that will show our bunch what is needed and will improve playing with more gifted players because even though Blackburn had our number we are still far better than them

this is what I hope Wenger addresses

Sorry I have written so much on my phone, not sure what the topic is anymire, hope I havent gone too off subject

Özim
15-07-2011, 02:22 PM
The point is he's talked the same shite in the past but done fuck all about it.

Wenger talks the talk but is nowhere near walking the walk.
Pretty much, him acknowledging something these days means very little as two weeks later his stance has changed, then when the time comes he hasn't addressed the issues at all.

He's full of talk but no actions.

fakeyank
15-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I despise Wenger