PDA

View Full Version : The Madness of Arsene Wenger

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:11 AM
We have seen it in Politicians who are in a position of power for too long, the likes of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair were prime-minister for too long to no real purpose but to perpetuate their own legacies and seemed almost deranged in their inflexibility.
The same is now the case with Arsene Wenger, a man who all of us had the upmost respect for, for his intellectual capacity and his dry wit and his ability to nurture young talent seems little more a figure of fun enveloped by his inability to break out of a pattern of behaviour..... to the point where he has become a parody of himself with his insistence that this is a young team with a lot of quality willfully ignoring his and it's failure to break out of an alarmingly similar pattern of collapse season in, season out.
The most risible of which being the defending the indefensible defence, nothing wrong with the defence apart from it conceding more goals from set pieces than any other team in the league, and his insistent that despite this it's an incredibly strong side at open play (it's an absurd suggestion even if it were true). The back four is just as culpable for conceding goals from open play with it's vulnerability to aerial attacks, holding high lines that leave us exposed to pacey counter attacks, the inability to clear the ball properly inside the box........the whole defence being taken apart by one long ball......the full backs bombing forward too often leaving us exposed at the back.
We are an attacking side! he proclaims......well i'd actually even question that if the awful Bendtner goes, and we are left with the attacking options of Chamakh, Van Persie and Gervinho (assuming vela is sent on loan or sold), an attacking side doesn't play a 4-5-1 formation against the likes of blackburn and sunderland and then look confused when we fail to break down a side intent on defending and settling for a creditable draw at the Emirates, it certainly doesn't employ Van Persie as a sole striker when he's a player who naturally drifts wide.
Either he is the most stoic mouthpiece for a board who refuses to spend money at the risk of having less to line it's own pockets with, or he's so desperate to protect this reputation as a man who can win things without spending the cash that he's willing to risk the sustainability of the team for on the field success in order to protect this thinly veiled masquerade, or maybe he's afraid of spending and yet still failing.
I am of the opinion that only root and branch change within the first team can bring about guaranteed success, however i am not a zealot and would compromise on a few key signings.......and when that's painfully obvious that despite it being necessary to the point where wenger's own players have told him it's necessary it simply won't happen.

Kano
15-07-2011, 10:14 AM
good name for a film that

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:22 AM
aye but who would you have playing wenger?.........

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, he talks far too much crap. I think he's generally right, like for example the comments about the defence are pretty accurate for the most part, but he should know by now that they're only ever received one way.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Zim.

Kano
15-07-2011, 10:28 AM

donald sutherland

he's old AND mad

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't think they are even remotely accurate. The defence is a joke......in terms of ability, organisation and resolve.......even the worst of defences has a few good games but on the whole they play without confidence, composure and they play like individuals not as a unit.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Or I could ask the guy on my bus to work who looks like donald sutherland

Kano
15-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Or I could ask the guy on my bus to work who looks like donald sutherland

let me know, i'll get me cousins digital camera and it's on

Ironing
15-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Will Smith

Would need a bit of makeup, but would definitely be best for the role

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think they are even remotely accurate. The defence is a joke......in terms of ability, organisation and resolve.......even the worst of defences has a few good games but on the whole they play without confidence, composure and they play like individuals not as a unit.

Well, they were part of the team that fell apart so they've got to take some stick for that but there was a brilliant run of games where they kept it tight and there was decent defending throughout the season (usually whenever Squillaci wasn't present) along with the errors that seem to dominate the landscape. They weren't perfect but considering we're an attacking team and a rather inconsistent one at that, they did a pretty good job from open play, there was plenty of defending like a unit (Clichy aside, who seemingly went to the Adebayor School of Offsides) and composure, if not too much composure at times given our reluctance to HOOOOOOF when there's any doubt.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 11:13 AM
if your almost incapable of holding onto a lead as demonstrated against spurs home and away, liverpool at home, sunderland away, wigan away, newcastle away....than you cannot claim to be a solid defence, we won only half of our games last season, and 75% of the points dropped were in games where we conceeded goals from horrorshow defending, lapses in concentration, individual errors etc.

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Liverpool, Wigan and Newcastle were all down to set-pieces. Not beating Spurs was indefensible but also involved set-pieces.

I'm not entirely convinced by your stats either, there were many times when the team simply wasn't there and provided our defence with very little protection which, even if they're accurate, don't take that into account.

We need to improve, especially on set-pieces, but we've got a decent base to start with, not the circus that most seem to think we have.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Liverpool (a) - Ngog - giving away possession on edge of area

Blackburn (a) - Diouf - giving away possession in midfield

Sunderland (h) - Bent - lapse of concentration

West Brom (h) - all three goals defensive and goalkeeping calamity

Chelsea (a) - Drogba - not cutting out a simple cross

Birmingham (h) - Zigic - headed goal but not a set piece, despite being on top.....poor marking

This is in our games from August to October, goals that were conceeded from defensive lapses not set piece related....i could carry on to the end of the season

Kano
15-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Liverpool (a) - Ngog - giving away possession on edge of area

Blackburn (a) - Diouf - giving away possession in midfield

Sunderland (h) - Bent - lapse of concentration

West Brom (h) - all three goals defensive and goalkeeping calamity

Chelsea (a) - Drogba - not cutting out a simple cross

Birmingham (h) - Zigic - headed goal but not a set piece, despite being on top.....poor marking

This is in our games from August to October, goals that were conceeded from defensive lapses not set piece related....i could carry on to the end of the season

i not even going to begin to protect the defence, as it’s obviously an area problem.

but sitting there breaking down every single goal is a pointless exercise, you can't criticise every one in a realistic sense, in the knowledge that goals will always be conceded. in a large majority of cases a goal is conceded due to a variant of mistakes made by players in the defence – i can’t remember wherei read it but there was some sort of analysis that suggested up to 6 players are culpable for any particular goal.

Joker
15-07-2011, 12:13 PM
He is so ideologically invested in this project (i.e. bringing together young players from around the world and schooling them in "Wengerball") that he cannot see this has failed. I've said before that it reminds me of Alan Greenspan, who believed so dogmatically in the self correcting ability of free markets that he wasn't able to respond quickly after the onset of the financial crisis. The same with Wenger IMO. Our manager is now simply an ideologue who's lost touch with reality.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 12:13 PM
my point was more saying irrespective of set pieces there is a problem with the defence full stop. Every goal scored is arguably a defensive mistake if you want to be pedantic, but there are times when it's simply unforgiveable such as sunderland away where having defended so stoutly for the entire game we switch off on 94 minutes....that's criminal in my book.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 12:15 PM
comparing him to Alan Greenspan is harsh in the extreme, in that I don't believe Greenspan is an Idelogue people like him and Larry Summers were crooks with a vested interest in total deregulation of the market place, and when it failed they weren't the people who suffered.

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 12:17 PM
And we do it every season. Wenger doesn't have a point.

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Midfielders and Almunia doesn't really count as this defence though imo, keepers are part of the unit and I'm sure the unholy trinity of him, Squillaci and Koscielny contributed to some of our earlier mishaps but you won't find me arguing that Almunia was good enough last season, not by a long stretch.

I'm not saying our defence never makes errors or that we're watertight as tight can be, that's impossible and I'm sure I can come up with similar instances of Chelsea/Man U/City doing stupid things like that, just that there's been plenty of good defending and we're nowhere near as clueless as you're claiming. We cut out more of those lapses in concentration (lack of Almunia and Clichy next season should help that imo) and tighten up on set-pieces, along with consistency from the guys in front of them and this defence will keep a reasonable number of clean sheets.

Kano
15-07-2011, 12:18 PM
my point was more saying irrespective of set pieces there is a problem with the defence full stop. Every goal scored is arguably a defensive mistake if you want to be pedantic, but there are times when it's simply unforgiveable such as sunderland away where having defended so stoutly for the entire game we switch off on 94 minutes....that's criminal in my book.

agreed, there are massive issues with the defence that need to be resolved before anything changes with the team. however, it's far more pedantic to analyse every goal conceded and raise it as part of the larger problem.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 12:27 PM
well as i say i was more explaining that it's a fallacy to say we are that strong defensively outside of set pieces

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 12:38 PM
agreed, there are massive issues with the defence that need to be resolved before anything changes with the team. however, it's far more pedantic to analyse every goal conceded and raise it as part of the larger problem.

He did. I understood the point he was making.