PDA

View Full Version : Wenger: "Its Arsenal's destiny to win the Pl next season"

KSE Comedy Club
15-07-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8638828/Arsene-Wenger-It-is-Arsenals-destiny-to-win-the-Premier-League-after-terrible-end-to-last-season.html

After losing to Birmingham in the Carling Cup final on Feb 27, Arsenal (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/) slumped to such an extent that they won just three of their final 15 matches of the season.

The slump took a significant personal toll on Wenger, who looked especially gaunt and agitated on the touchline. "It was because I took full responsibility for what happened," he said.

''Through November and December you could feel that the team had really taken off and could win everything. It was so close. The last part was certainly the toughest [of my career]. Emotionally, it was very difficult because we were on a low."

Wenger has looked reinvigorated during the club's pre-season tour of Asia, with the squad arriving in China on Thursday, and is challenging the players to be strengthened by their disappointments.

"I believe that the real destiny of this team is now. It demands the strength of character that champions have. I believe we are perfectly good enough.

"What we have done last year, considering the age of the squad and the problems with injuries is, for me, a credit to the team. Part of the development of a young team is to improve and win the championship this year."
Controversially, Wenger also rejected the accusation that Arsenal have serious defensive frailties.

He is hoping to add one more central defender – Gary Cahill, Chris Samba and Phil Jagielka are among the targets – but noted the return this season of Thomas Vermaelen.
"I don't think we are weak defensively but we are an offensive team and sometimes that exposes our defenders," he said.

Arsenal and Barcelona remain in negotiations over Cesc Fabregas and, despite being annoyed by Xavi speaking out this week about his captain, Wenger does not intend to make a formal complaint to Fifa.
"It has to stop of course," said Wenger. "If there are transfer negotiations between two clubs I don't think it's helpful to have other players involved."

So, what is the next stage of the Wenger comments process again?

:whistle:

Kano
15-07-2011, 10:36 AM
he doesn't really say that does he?

anyway, he's the manager of the team so he has to place full belief in them, otherwise, what's the point?

selassie
15-07-2011, 10:43 AM
"What we have done last year, considering the age of the squad and the problems with injuries is, for me, a credit to the team. Part of the development of a young team is to improve and win the championship this year."

It's comments like the above that give me no faith in Wenger.

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 10:47 AM
:doh:

Misleading headline as ever but still, we get it.

Letters
15-07-2011, 10:47 AM
he doesn't really say that does he?

Well, no. But it's a good headline for the moaners.
Have a good moan, y'all.

KSE Comedy Club
15-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Christ, what has happened to GW?!?

If youdont agree with Wenger then youre a moaner, and if you do agree with him, then you suck his cock.

Cant we just find some common ground ffs :shrug:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:56 AM
you speak almost as if those that do moan have no cause to
At a time where meaningful change is essential considering the extent of our stagnation at the end of the season, wenger's comments do not encourage anything but trepdiation

Kano
15-07-2011, 10:57 AM
i do suck his cock to be fair

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 10:59 AM
does it taste of french onion soup?....these are the rumours i've heard

Letters
15-07-2011, 11:14 AM
you speak almost as if those that do moan have no cause to

There's plenty of cause to. What is making me :rolleyes: is people moaning about things he says which they actually agree with.

Özim
15-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Well, no. But it's a good headline for the moaners.
Have a good moan, y'all.
Bit ironic really, you never stop moaning about the "moaners" :lol:

Darth Vela
15-07-2011, 11:23 AM
:lol:

I think that might actually BE irony as well, an Internet first?

Özim
15-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Hasn't he been using the "such a young team" line for years now?

When are they no longer "young"

Marc Overmars
15-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Wenger believes in his flops shocker.

Özim
15-07-2011, 11:39 AM
or flop believes in his flops shocker!

Letters
15-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Bit ironic really, you never stop moaning about the "moaners" :lol:

I'll always pick people up if they're moaning for no reason about things when, if you dig, you find they actually agree with what he's saying :)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Well there are enough idiots in the world, I never feel the need to throw the spotlight on their idiocy.....i just let it speak for itself.

I take umbrage with Wenger's comments about the defence because i vehemently disagree with what he says, I also find it laughable to call Arsenal an attacking side when we were playing a 4-5-1 formation at home to sides like Blackburn and Sunderland.

I hold store by the addage that stupidity is defined by someone doing the same thing as before and expecting a different outcome, and this is why I feel the need to grab for a nurofen every time Wenger opens his mouth.

That said i don't disagree with everything, such as not replacing Gael Clichy........whilst it's a risk, i want us to give kieran gibbs a chance.

Boss
15-07-2011, 11:52 AM
It's comments like the above that give me no faith in Wenger.

As a great man once said:

Albert Einstein: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Wenger :rose:

Champagne Charlie
15-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I had my yearly performance review at work today. Basically I did really well for the first half of the year, then didn't bother turning up for second half of the year.

It's ok though, my manager was quite understanding. He told his boss that it's because I'm still young and long term sickness within the department hadn't helped the situation.

My manager says that by changing absolutely nothing he believes I'll excel next year because I'm one year older.

Happy days.

Joker
15-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Wenger talks so much nonsense these days it's unbelievable. He knows his way of doing things has failed, he realises that his dogmatic belief that Wengerball would eventually lead to trophies once the young players developed has been shown up to be a total sham, therefore he's trying to spin his way out of trouble by talking out of his anus.
He has completely tarnished his reputation as a top class manager in the last 6 years, and the quicker he fucks off the better.

selassie
15-07-2011, 12:23 PM
As a great man once said:

Wenger :rose:

Yup, sadly this is oh so true Teg.

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I had my yearly performance review at work today. Basically I did really well for the first half of the year, then didn't bother turning up for second half of the year.

It's ok though, my manager was quite understanding. He told his boss that it's because I'm still young and long term sickness within the department hadn't helped the situation.

My manager says that by changing absolutely nothing he believes I'll excel next year because I'm one year older.

Happy days.

:lol:

Good one.

selassie
15-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Happy days.

:haha:

Post of the day.

On a serious note sadly that's the situation we're in with Wenger in charge, nothing will change until he's gone.

AKBapologist
15-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Yay, lots of new people to add to my ignore list.

Power n Glory
15-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Wenger has this belief that these players will automatically correct their own mistakes and become winners.

It doesn't alway work out like that. Some of these guys are slackers. The players hungry to progress and correct the mistakes are looking for the exit.

The Wenger PR machine is in full motion now. Last season, when the season started, the players weren't talking much. When Theo, RVP, and Cesc were giving interviews and the press asked about winning the title, they downplayed it hard and said 'we need to take it game by game, it's only one victory.' That was the message coming from the camp. The collapse they experienced in the season just before the last one left them feeling cautious and they didn't want to get carried away.

What makes this season any different? Why is will THIS collapse spur them on when the one before that couldn't? In life, people develop bad habits and that is also true when it comes to football.

selassie
15-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Wenger has this belief that these players will automatically correct their own mistakes and become winners.

It doesn't alway work out like that. Some of these guys are slackers. The players hungry to progress and correct the mistakes are looking for the exit.

The Wenger PR machine is in full motion now. Last season, when the season started, the players weren't talking much. When Theo, RVP, and Cesc were giving interviews and the press asked about winning the title, they downplayed it hard and said 'we need to take it game by game, it's only one victory.' That was the message coming from the camp. The collapse they experienced in the season just before the last one left them feeling cautious and they didn't want to get carried away.

What makes this season any different? Why is will THIS collapse spur them on when the one before that couldn't? In life, people develop bad habits and that is also true when it comes to football.

:good:

This. I think the "Players Correcting Their Own Mistakes" is a big flaw in Arsene's project/grand masterplan. In life in general, success comes with experience...for an organisation or a unit to become successful you have a set of leaders who make all the right strategic decisions, football is no different.

Arsene is basically trying to reinvent the wheel, his methods will not work unless he modifies his approach.

Cripps_orig
15-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Alberto Del Rio says it better tbh

Joker
16-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Yay, lots of new people to add to my ignore list.

If we keep adding people we disagree with to the ignore list, we're not going to have much debate are we? What will happen is that GW will become a segregated, apartheid-type messageboard with people only debating and conversing with people with the same POV. Is that what messageboards are about? This is why I think the Ignore Function is a negative aspect of the messageboard, and if it's possible for the admins to disable it for all users I think it would be a good idea.

Penguin
16-07-2011, 01:18 PM
At first I just thought Wenger was just protecting his players in the press and talking to them differently in training. About their mistakes, how they could improve, just any general tips. But after years and years of watching the same players continue to make the exact same mistakes I really wonder what Wenger is doing.

How can it be constructive to ignore their mistakes or their flaws? To let them learn and grow themselves? What kind of man management is that.

-Xs-
16-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Happy days.

Hehe, brilliant

Niall_Quinn
17-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Christ, what has happened to GW?!?

If youdont agree with Wenger then youre a moaner, and if you do agree with him, then you suck his cock.

Cant we just find some common ground ffs :shrug:

If Wenger was removed from the picture...

"What we have done last year, considering the age of the squad and the problems with injuries is, for me, a credit to the team.

If he really said that he should be sacked. That bunch of bottling failures deserves zero credit, absolutely none. For Wenger to suggest otherwise shows how out of touch he is and how low his standards have sunk. And he needs to get over the excuses now and stop hiding behind them. Last year was one of our better years for injuries, if you exclude Cesc's and Nasri's faking.

Niall_Quinn
17-07-2011, 01:02 AM

Happy days.

Don't tell me you forgot to ask for a pay rise?

Penguin
17-07-2011, 10:53 AM
He didn't even need to ask.

All the competitors are improving while his department regresses, fails to meet any of their targets and shows no results at the end, but the manager sees the potential. They are 2% from dominating the industry. No, the world. Payrises for all! Yay!
:dance:

Boss
17-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Gael Clichy has risked the wrath of Arsenal fans by declaring he left the club for Manchester City because he was tired of missing out on silverware.

Clichy says he could have penned a new deal at Emirates Stadium but could not face the prospect of more seasons like the 2010-11 campaign.

Arsenal have now not won a trophy since 2005, with a string of disappointments turning last term into one of the most disappointing seasons under Arsene Wenger's stewardship. Now Clichy believes he has found a club who can deliver the success he craves.

Speaking on the club's pre-season tour to the United States, he said: "After spending eight years with Arsenal it would have been easy to sign a new contract to stay there because they're a fantastic club that will always be challenging for trophies.

"But it got to a point for me where I didn't want to just challenge for the titles only to be disappointed in the final weeks of the season. I wanted to play for a club that would win them. I joined City because I felt that this was a club ready to win important trophies over the next few years.

"When Sheikh Mansour first took over here there was a lot of scepticism in the game and I was one of the sceptics.

"But for me, last season proved City are now one of the top clubs in the game. I have been at City only a week but I look around and see a squad that is strong.''

Clichy's comments come just a day after Wenger accused City boss Roberto Mancini of a lack of respect over his public pursuit of Samir Nasri, who the Italian wants to add to his squad in the next fortnight.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/101391.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Speaks for itself imo.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Why is it when clichy talks, people aren't saying "he's such a hypocrite, was he not in the team when we collapsed? Should concentrate on his job instead of talking about other clubs..." most of you just go... yep, he's right...

...but when wenger answers a question in relation to citys spending or mancini's comment he's the biggest wanker/fool/cock/cunt/dickhead in the world.

If you want to accuse someone of being sanctimonious/hypocrite, some of you need to start by looking in the mirror.

Joker
17-07-2011, 01:36 PM
When it comes to players like Clichy, Nasri etc bemoaning our lack of silverware, you're absolutely right that they should look at themselves in the mirror, because they have been part of the squad that has failed so miserably over the last few seasons. Clichy is the king of cockups, while Nasri is a coward who disappears when we most need him to deliver.

Master Splinter
17-07-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/101391.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Speaks for itself imo.

That Clichy is braindead?

That does indeed speak for itself.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Was talking about Joker and TEG looking in the mirror tbh.

KSE Comedy Club
17-07-2011, 01:55 PM
If we keep adding people we disagree with to the ignore list, we're not going to have much debate are we? What will happen is that GW will become a segregated, apartheid-type messageboard with people only debating and conversing with people with the same POV. Is that what messageboards are about? This is why I think the Ignore Function is a negative aspect of the messageboard, and if it's possible for the admins to disable it for all users I think it would be a good idea.

:gp:

I agree.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 02:01 PM
If some posters stopped being so fucking boring and retarded, wouldn't need the ignore function. Reading the same shit in every single fucking post does not encourage debate or conversation. The Zimms and the Jokers of the board need to take some responsibility and realise that sociopathic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopathy) posting habits are just as much a problem as the people who ignore them. Sure, you may enjoy bashing the manager, but not everyone enjoys reading it OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Infact, I think you've pretty much driven everyone who still supports the manager away. The only difference on this board is between the ones who want wenger out and can't enjoy anything about the club until he fucks off and wants everyone to know about it, and the ones who want him out but believe there is more to the club than who's manager. It's already an echo chamber tbh.

Master Splinter
17-07-2011, 02:04 PM
If some posters stopped being so fucking boring and retarded, wouldn't need the ignore function. Reading the same shit in every single fucking post does not encourage debate or conversation. The Zimms and the Jokers of the board need to take some responsibility and realise that sociopathic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopathy) posting habits are just as much a problem as the people who ignore them. Sure, you may enjoy bashing the manager, but not everyone enjoys reading it OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Good post.

Boss
17-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Why is it when clichy talks, people aren't saying "he's such a hypocrite, was he not in the team when we collapsed? Should concentrate on his job instead of talking about other clubs..." most of you just go... yep, he's right...

...but when wenger answers a question in relation to citys spending or mancini's comment he's the biggest wanker/fool/cock/cunt/dickhead in the world.

If you want to accuse someone of being sanctimonious/hypocrite, some of you need to start by looking in the mirror.

What's worse, people that complain about the manager (usually constructively), or people that whine and bitch about other posters, like you?

Your posts 'OVER AND OVER AGAIN' about others posting style are getting tedious, stfu plsty.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 02:48 PM
What's worse, people that complain about the manager (usually constructively), or people that whine and bitch about other posters, like you?

Your posts 'OVER AND OVER AGAIN' about others posting style are getting tedious, stfu plsty.
YES, BECAUSE I KEEP ON READING THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Same posts with zero insight, zero originality in a self confirming circle jerking echo chamber that is now GW. Even letters is sick of it, and it might explain why we've had trouble growing the site. ATM, same 5-10 people posting pretty much the same stuff, when only a couple of people post stuff regulary that isn't more wenger bashing.

Want me to stop moaning at you? Sure, i'll just add you to my ignore list.

Boss
17-07-2011, 02:51 PM
YES, BECAUSE I KEEP ON READING THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Same posts with zero insight, zero originality in a self confirming circle jerking echo chamber that is now GW. Even letters is sick of it, and it might explain why we've had trouble growing the site. ATM, same 5-10 people posting pretty much the same stuff, when only a couple of people post stuff regulary that isn't more wenger bashing.

Want me to stop moaning at you? Sure, i'll just add you to my ignore list.

Not sure why we're holding Letters up to be some bastion of deciding on posting quality. As for the same content in posts, that's probably because the club hasn't changed all that much over the last few years and that there's not much else to discuss. Would you rather no posts at all?

I'd be honoured to join your ignore list :good:

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Not sure why we're holding Letters up to be some bastion of deciding on posting quality. As for the same content in posts, that's probably because the club hasn't changed all that much over the last few years and that there's not much else to discuss. Would you rather no posts at all?

I'd be honoured to join your ignore list :good:

Believe it or not, there are more things to talk about than "I hate wenger because."

:bye:

Joker
17-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Infact, I think you've pretty much driven everyone who still supports the manager away. The only difference on this board is between the ones who want wenger out and can't enjoy anything about the club until he fucks off and wants everyone to know about it, and the ones who want him out but believe there is more to the club than who's manager. It's already an echo chamber tbh.

I'm sorry but there's no evidence whatsoever that I've driven anyone from this board. I don't abuse, threaten or in any way provoke posters with different POVs. Moreover, I accept that the players deserve as much blame as the manager for our failings over the last 5-6 years, that's why I've regularly criticised Cesc, Nasri et al, and not bought the argument that it was other turds like Denilson holding Cesc back.

Marc Overmars
17-07-2011, 04:24 PM
People should man up if they're driven away by anything in the land of internet warriors.

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 04:27 PM
GW has been slow for months now. It's a preseason, we don't have anything to get excited about and Wenger keeps making silly statements. What do you expect?

If you really want to kill this forum, keep trying to 'police' what people say with the snide insults. They'll find somewhere else to go.

fakeyank
17-07-2011, 04:33 PM
@AKBapologist has lost it.

Are you AW in disguise? :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
17-07-2011, 04:34 PM
When reading of Gazidis's meeting with the AST, I was led to believe that we'd have plenty to discuss as this was to be a summer of significant change. It has not worked out that way at all. There is quite frankly nothing to get excited about at this Club.

Nothing at all. There is, as J Redknapp would say, quite literally, nothing to say.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 04:38 PM
@AKBapologist has lost it.

Are you AW in disguise? :lol:
You lost it ages ago mate. :coffee:

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 04:38 PM
And the fans have the right to be pissed off about it.

Marc Overmars
17-07-2011, 04:43 PM
When reading of Gazidis's meeting with the AST, I was led to believe that we'd have plenty to discuss as this was to be a summer of significant change. It has not worked out that way at all. There is quite frankly nothing to get excited about at this Club.

Nothing at all. There is, as J Redknapp would say, quite literally, nothing to say.

What about our young players having an extra years worth of experience under their belts? :coffee:

fakeyank
17-07-2011, 04:47 PM
What about our young players having an extra years worth of experience under their belts? :coffee:

:haha:

Mr.Singh
17-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Why do some posters eat up the shit Wenger serves up.....he is the reason why we are so shit, he is the reason we have twats like bendy and eboue playing for us.....he chats the most shit and I find it mind numbing that fans still defend him.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 04:55 PM
1) Those players won't be playing for us next season.

2) I'm not defending wenger, not in the slightest, Just bored of every single conversation turning into a collection of the same digs, same puerile and petty crap post after post. Isn't like this on the other arsenal forums I visit - seems like everyone with anything interesting to say has left.

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 05:03 PM

2) I'm not defending wenger, not in the slightest, Just bored of every single conversation turning into a collection of the same digs, same puerile and petty crap post after post. Isn't like this on the other arsenal forums I visit - seems like everyone with anything interesting to say has left.

Mate, you've been banging on about us being strapped for cash for ages and whenever anyone disputes it, you start with the childish puerile digs, just as you did with me in your last post. If you're tired of it, why are you taking part and taking digs at posters with sarcastic comments when refuting a point or flipping out when you don't like what u hear. Just look how our debate first started.

Boss
17-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Only poster that's been posting childish, puerile stuff in this whole thread is you.

*Suppose you may not be able to see this because I'm ignored, oh well. :(

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Mate, you've been banging on about us being strapped for cash for ages and whenever anyone disputes it, you start with the childish puerile digs, just as you did with me in your last post. If you're tired of it, why are you taking part and taking digs at posters with sarcastic comments when refuting a point or flipping out when you don't like what u hear. Just look how our debate first started.
If people disputed it with anything other than "whatever, we have money because wenger said so" then maybe i'd respond to it with a little more than just *sigh*.

I've posted plenty of sources over the last few weeks, from the guardian, Swiss ramble, AST. Yet everyone still *just believes* we're cash rich and if only we ditched our dross, we'd have enough for loads of signings. The numbers just don't add up.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 05:30 PM
And yes, after re-reading the thread, even ignored posts... the hypocrisy is stunning. If it weren't for the fact jokers post was brought up in replies, would have blissfully ignored most of this shite. :lol:

GP
17-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Only poster that's been posting childish, puerile stuff in this whole thread is you.

*Suppose you may not be able to see this because I'm ignored, oh well. :(

I'll quote you so he can see it. Cos I'm nice like that.

Master Splinter
17-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I'll quote you so he can see it. Cos I'm nice like that.

You're on his list too.

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 05:40 PM
If people disputed it with anything other than "whatever, we have money because x said so" then maybe i'd respond to it with a little more than just *sigh*.

I've posted plenty of sources over the last few weeks, from the guardian, Swiss ramble, AST. Yet everyone still *just believes* we're cash rich and if only we ditched our dross, we'd have enough for loads of signings. The numbers just don't add up.

The numbers don't add up? So if we got rid of the players we discussed we still couldn't afford to buy Cahill and pay him a decent wage?

Forget, star players, let's talk about our targets. So if we fail to sign a CB this year, you're saying it's because we can't afford it?

We won't even push the boat out for players at minor clubs and we just got an extra £7m from the Clichy sale. When I put this point across you flipped out. We've got the money to strengthen an area that may be the difference between title contenders and champions. How comes we haven't signed a defender when the money is there. I've seen your posts about us being strapped for cash but we've just made £7m and we offered Bolton and Blackburn something around £10m for Cahill and Samba's services. So if we could offer that before we sold Clichy, what's stopping us from bumping up the offer?

If we don't want to sign a new defender, what's stopping us from bumping up Nasri's wages? Forget all the reports from guys on Twitter, Wenger has come out and said we don't need the money which is why he's prepared to let Nasri walk on a free and why he won't let Cesc go. I look at these sort of things and the message coming from the club and try to draw conclusions. I don't know how reliable your sources are but I'll take Wenger and Gazidis's words over some Twitter account.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry, but where did I say that we couldn't add a few mediocre signings that may or may not be better than what we have? My position is that we need several top class signings to win stuff.

If you believe Joey Barton, Cahill and Samba are the answers to our problem then good for you I guess.

GP
17-07-2011, 05:46 PM
You're on his list too.

Motherfucker

fakeyank
17-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry, but where did I say that we couldn't add a few mediocre signings that may or may not be better than what we have? My position is that we need several top class signings to win stuff.

If you believe Joey Barton, Cahill and Samba are the answers to our problem then good for you I guess.

They are better than Squillaci, Kos, Denilson, Diaby. Anything of a step up from the current bunch of dross would be nice!

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 05:52 PM

I forget, you think we need a squad of £30m players in every position to win. It doesn't take all that to beat the likes of Stoke, Newcastle, Birmingham and West Brom.

Xhaka Can’t
17-07-2011, 05:55 PM

I guess that explains why you're still here.

And I don't know which mystical forums yor frequent, but it is pretty much the same thing everywhere.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I forget, you think we need a squad of £30m players in every position to win. It doesn't take all that to beat the likes of Stoke, Newcastle, Birmingham and West Brom.
Yes it does. Those top players not only show up on the big games, but are extremely consistent, Ronaldo, Van Nistleroy, Henry even Adebayor all curb stomped the smaller teams. Not sure where this idea average players are good enough to beat average teams all the time came from tbh.

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes it does. Those top players not only show up on the big games, but are extremely consistent, Ronaldo, Van Nistleroy, Henry even Adebayor all curb stomped the smaller teams. Not sure where this idea average players are good enough to beat average teams all the came from tbh.

You mention Adebayor and we did't even pay £30m for him. We just bought a striker that didn't get injured all the time and had the balls to shoot when through on goal even if he missed a few sitters.

We have a different perspective of things. It doesn't take City money to sort these problems out. We could have bought an experienced keeper for a fee million ages ago. That would have been a start.

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 06:12 PM
You mention Adebayor and we did't even pay £30m for him. We just bought a striker that didn't get injured all the time and had the balls to shoot when through on goal even if he missed a few sitters.

We have a different perspective of things. It doesn't take City money to sort these problems out. We could have bought an experienced keeper for a fee million ages ago. That would have been a start.
What happened to Adebayor btw? Something to do with money but I might be mistaken. And an adebayor in this market would cost a whole lot more than what we paid for him, and would probably be met with a similar amount of derision as... I don't know... someone like Gervinho for instance.

Obviously, if top class players are available for peanuts then ignoring them would be silly. But average players replacing average players isn't actually what we need atm. Players who are better than our best in CB, CDM, and CF seems to be what many ex-players like Dixon and Seaman have been saying we need.

Joker
17-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Arsenal-mania had turned against Wenger by 2008. I used to post on that forum (but realised it had an elitist attitude and a small clique dominated most discussion) and used to defend Wenger against some of the OTT attacks. I said we should give him time and see whether he can deliver on his promises. 3 years later, the same drivel is being served up and the same tired excuses trotted out by our manager. I'm not surprised so many people have had enough of him. He makes pathetic excuses for why we've failed to lift a trophy for the last 6 years, and without a bit of honesty and mea culpa fans will continue to bemoan his intransigence and inability to come out with solutions to our predicament that don't simply involve "more of the same".

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 06:21 PM
What happened to Adebayor btw? Something to do with money but I might be mistaken. And an adebayor in this market would cost a whole lot more than what we paid for him, and would probably be met with a similar amount of derision as... I don't know... someone like Gervinho for instance.

Obviously, if top class players are available for peanuts then ignoring them would be silly. But average players replacing average players isn't actually what we need atm. Players who are better than our best in CB, CDM, and CF seems to be what many ex-players like Dixon and Seaman have been saying we need.

Adebayor got a wage increase but started putting in half hearted performances so we sold him. If we were strapped for cash, he'd have never got a wage increase.

Niall_Quinn
17-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I blame Wenger for all those fans who want to suck his cock. If Wenger wasn't here there'd be nothing to suck. Wenger's fault, for sure.

Darth Vela
17-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Adebayor got a wage increase but started putting in half hearted performances so we sold him. If we were strapped for cash, he'd have never got a wage increase.

He was worth the increase at the time tbf, I think if the performances had kept up we would have kept him but they didn't so we took the money and legged it, we were lucky Citeh were willing to pay so much tbh.

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Whether he was worth the wages isn't the issue. The point is we gave him the wage increase. We could afford to. The same applies to Nasri. I won't accept this argument about us not being able to afford the wages.

Marc Overmars
17-07-2011, 11:24 PM
I agree to an extent PnG, but I think the issue really is that we stand to be blown out of the water by City with any offer we make.

We give him 120k, he'll think ok, lets see what I can get from the Arabs.

And that's exactly what will happen in January if he starts the season here without a new contract.

Cripps_orig
17-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Hasn't Nasri said its not about the money and its about trophies?I believe him. We aren't winning anything under Wenger again so why wouldn't he look elsewhere

hymppi
18-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Joker: "I'm not surprised so many people have had enough of him. He makes pathetic excuses for why we've failed to lift a trophy for the last 6 years, and without a bit of honesty and mea culpa fans will continue to bemoan his intransigence and inability to come out with solutions to our predicament that don't simply involve "more of the same". "

aye, remember how AW said we we're hit at he back 'cause we are too short of a team, we gave easy goals,he'd rectify this fast as this needs to be fixed. no he's going on about vermaelen being back and the next saviour. fuck.

fakeyank
18-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Vermaelen :trophy:

Penguin
18-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Vidic cost £7m, Vermaelen was £10m, Hernandez £6m. Evra? Skrtel? Agger? Now I can't be bothered to check all of the transfer fees but there are countless of examples of great players going for low transfer prices. We don't have to sell a kidney. Wenger is famed for his eye for talent yet he persists with dross like Bendtner and Denilson for 3 years instead of buying good squad players. That's nothing to do with money.