PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Thread vs Greentown

Joker
16-07-2011, 01:33 PM
1-1 Draw

A poor performance on the whole, although the second half was better than the first.

In the first half we were appalling tbh. Van Persie was sluggish and next to useless, and his lack of pace is really worrying. With him in the lineup, we're not going to get behind teams too often this season.

The midfield was lacklustre, with Rosicky his usual non existent self.

The biggest issue was, however, the defence. We played a high line, and were caught out with long balls quite often. Clearly we haven't learnt the lessons of last season. Moreover, we are really uncertain when clearing our lines, especially when it comes to aerial balls. While players like Vidic attack crosses and head the ball away confidently, we so often simply head the ball into the air, and keep the ball in the danger zone.

We looked more dangerous in the second half, but again, the same malaise that has affected us for the last 5-6 years was back with a vengeance. So often we simply passed the ball along the penalty area, then wide, then back inside, eventually ending with a lumbering oaf like Song trying to play a scripted one-two that gets intecepted.

Although Greentown posed very little threat in the second half, they did counter-attack quite effectively on a few ocassions, and probably should have scored with a header (which again showed our weaknesses aerially) Koscielny's position was suspect at times as well, being caught out of position or on the wrong side of the attacker, which against better opposition would have seen us punished.

Walcott was dangerous but some of his decision making and finishing was extremely poor. However, at least he was trying something, which is more than can be said for the useless turd Chamakh.

All in all, a poor performance against a team that Man Utd beat 8-2. The same deficiencies that have existed for the last 6 seasons are still with us, and shows no sign of being corrected.

Marc Overmars
16-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Couldn't give a crap about pre-season games tbh.

Power n Glory
16-07-2011, 01:52 PM

It's a good indication of the new things and we'll try next season. So much for defensive training.

AKBapologist
16-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Couple of turkeys, Squillachi, Mannone, Rosicky - really really poor for the entire first half. Djourou, Arshavin and Traore not much better.

It's not even bad coaching. Why is Vermellean so much better than the rest? Why is a Whilshire, Ramsey and Song midfield far more competent? How come Szczesney can catch an incomming freekick where as it just bounces of mannone's chest. How come Myaichi presses high up the field and tracks back when Arshavin doesn't. Some players really arn't up for it.

More convinced than ever that player temperament > coaching.

Marc Overmars
16-07-2011, 01:57 PM
It's a good indication of the new things and we'll try next season. So much for defensive training.

It's impossible to replicate what could go down in a competitive fixture, I don't expect players to push themselves to the limit in games like this, so I always take these games with a pinch of salt. Certainly not worth going over with a fine comb.

Power n Glory
16-07-2011, 02:14 PM
It's impossible to replicate what could go down in a competitive fixture, I mean a player is certainly not going to push himself to the limit in games like this are they? So I always take these games with a pinch of salt. Certainly not worth going over with a fine comb.

Strategy wise, you can tell a lot from the preseason. Before switching to 4-3-3 a couple of seasons back, we used it during the pre season. If Wenger has thought about changing is tactics, we'd see it here in practice. The first time I saw us playing 4-3-3 it was impressive and I could sort of see why Wenger didn't want to buy many new players. We had changed formation and we were pressing teams aggressively to win back the ball.

What formation did we play? If it all looks the same, I don't think we'll see much of change in Wenger's philosophy. Still early days yet, but preseason can is a good indication of what tactics we might try, the shape of the squad, line up....etc. Results and performances don't matter that much, but the ideas and selection of certain players do.

Cripps_orig
16-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Same shit, different pre seasonAnd it will overflow in to the seasonOh wellBring on 2012/13Yay

Boss
16-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Whatever phone you're using Ach... it sucks balls tbh.

Kano
16-07-2011, 02:51 PM

exactly, they mean and show nothing for the season ahead

players are just getting together fitness and with all the subs and weakened starting elevens = very little continuity and so patchy play

Cripps_orig
16-07-2011, 02:51 PM
It was fine before the maintenance stuff done on GW recently.

GP
16-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Exactly. It's nothing more than a fitness session.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-07-2011, 03:52 PM
still should win againt pub teams

I worry that Rosicky is still around.......offers nothing to the team......correction has offered nothing to the team since he joined

Power n Glory
17-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Wait a minute, we conceded on a set piece? And this doesn't worry anyone?

GP
17-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Exactly. It's nothing more than a fitness session.

:gp:

AKBapologist
17-07-2011, 10:12 AM
On the other hand, AW has only been with the team this week whilst on the Asia tour, with one addition week of fitness training prior so hasn't had a chance to make much change.

One thing I am noticing is how much better we are as an attacking side with pace on the wings.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Wait a minute, we conceded on a set piece? And this doesn't worry anyone?

Not in isolation, no. Even if we're to have a much improved defence, we'll still concede goals.

Özim
17-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah we don't need to watch pre-season to know the defence is going to be sh*t, after all nothing has changed since last season (apart from selling Clichy and bringing in Gibbs who's areguably more vulnerable defensively and a permacrock) so I don't see how it can be any better.