PDA

View Full Version : Line-up at the end of the transfer window: would you be happy if....

Daniele
24-07-2011, 07:51 AM
we had this starting 11 come August the 31th:

Szczesny

Sagna - JAGIELKA - Vermaelen - JOSE ENRIQUE

Wilshere - Song

GERVINHO - CAZORLA - MATA

Van Persie

milla
24-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Szczesny

Sagna-Djourou-Vermaelen-NEW LEFTBACK

Wilshere-Song

Walcott-Nasri-Gervinho

Van Persie

We have solid first eleven but need better cover on bench ie more wide players, at least one solid DM and defenders. :coffee:

Daniele
24-07-2011, 08:01 AM
ooops I forgot Walcott...Freudian slip?

Daniele
24-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Szczesny

Sagna-Djourou-Vermaelen-NEW LEFTBACK

Wilshere-Song

Walcott-Nasri-Gervinho

Van Persie

We have solid first eleven but need better cover on bench ie more wide players, at least one solid DM and defenders. :coffee:

We need someone who's better than Djourou and Vermaelen at dealing with long balls and free-kicks.

milla
24-07-2011, 08:10 AM
We need someone who's better than Djourou and Vermaelen at dealing with long balls and free-kicks.

They are good enough but they need practice, anyone with little football knowledge know the old man doesnt believe in practicing free-kicks, corners etc. :coffee:

Özim
24-07-2011, 09:10 AM
-------------Chesney/Fabianski-------------

Sagna----------NEW CB---------Vermaelen-------NEW LEFT BACK

Gervinho/Walcott----Cesc/Wilshere/Ramsey------New DM---------Arshavin/Nasri

---------RVP---------------NEW STRIKER----------

These are other squad players:

to go alongside:
- Chesney/Fabianski
- Arshavin/Nasri
- Song
- Gervinho/Walcott
- Cesc/Wilshere/Ramsey
- Djourou
- Vela
- Ramsey
- Miyaichi
- Jenkinson

Basically 4 new players ideally, with the DM being the least important.

Oh and the rest of the squad can f*ck off.

IMO we'll end up with at best a CB, though that's not even sure......really poor show by Wenger, he never seems to fail to disappoint and solve problems in the team.

I don't think there are many that can defend him as most on here were calling for quite a few quality signings and we've really only seen one player and he's not even proven.

Joker
24-07-2011, 09:30 AM
================Szczesny=========================

Sagna=========Cahill========Vermaelen==========Bai nes===

Walcott=====Ramsey==========Wilshere========Gervin ho=====

=====================Mata========================

====================RVP===========================

I wouldn't be disappointed with that starting line-up, but I'm not holding my breath as I don't think we'll be signing the players I've listed above.

Marc Overmars
24-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Realistically I'm hoping for a new defender but I don't believe we'll buy another attacking player.

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd be happy enough with that, ideally it would be Baines and Samba instead but that team would do well, especially with the back-up from the bench.

Pretty sure we're done in terms of attackers unless Cesc or Nasri go, and Cesc probably will so it could be Santi or Mata but not both imo.

Power n Glory
24-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I see four players on that list that will cost us over or around £10m each. It's not happening. We'll be lucky to sign a defender before the window closes.

Özim
24-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd be happy enough with that, ideally it would be Baines and Samba instead but that team would do well, especially with the back-up from the bench.

Pretty sure we're done in terms of attackers unless Cesc or Nasri go, and Cesc probably will so it could be Santi or Mata but not both imo.
IMO as well as adding to the defence we need another striker, for a start RVP gets injured a lot...even if he didn't though we need someone else who can weigh in with goals up front...something we don't have (Gervinho is a winger so can't count him). I'd have liked someone in midfield too as Song was poor last season (maybe complacency) and he's off the ACON in all likelyness, just like Gervinho (which makes him an odd player to sign to be honest).

Cripps_orig
24-07-2011, 11:47 AM
New keeper
Sagna New CB Vermaelen New LB

Walcott New AM New DM Arshavin

RVP New ST

6 first teamers needed. We have got 2 pub teamers instead

In short, we are fucked

Toronto Gooner
24-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Szczesny

Wilshere - Song

Van Persie
If that were the official top line-up, my answer would be no. Personally, I would prefer

Szczesny

Sagna-Djourou-Samba-Vermaelen

Wilshere-Ramsay

Mata-Van Persie-Gervinho

Benzema

hobson's choice
24-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Honestly we need a two CB's, and real DM. Vermaelan in no way should be starting for a team that has title aspiration in this League.

fari
24-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Honestly we need a two CB's, and real DM. Vermaelan in no way should be starting for a team that has title aspiration in this League.

i agree with this. vermaelen likes to trot up the field too much...even when we are winning...

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Thing is though, Vermalen has exactly what we need, those leadership qualities and grit that everyone talks about, plus he's pretty handy in the air, strong and has a hammer of a left foot. Sure, he has his flaws like his positioning isn't perfect and he can leave us exposed when he goes upfield but those are worth it for what else he gives us imo.

Marc Overmars
24-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Thing is though, Vermalen has exactly what we need, those leadership qualities and grit that everyone talks about, plus he's pretty handy in the air, strong and has a hammer of a left foot. Sure, he has his flaws like his positioning isn't perfect and he can leave us exposed when he goes upfield but those are worth it for what else he gives us imo.

For a defender, a nack of leaving things exposed at the back is quite a critical flaw, despite all the marauding he may bring to the team.

Vermaelen is a bit overrated IMO. Bit like the Eduardo situation really. The heart grows fonder in absence and all that.

I don't doubt Vermaelen is made of the right stuff but opinion of him is based on Autumn 2009 when he scored a freak amount of goals and had his honeymoon period. He's still got it all to prove.

Özim
24-07-2011, 10:07 PM
For a defender, a nack of leaving things exposed at the back is quite a critical flaw, despite all the marauding he may bring to the team.

Vermaelen is a bit overrated IMO. Bit like the Eduardo situation really. The heart grows fonder in absence and all that.

I don't doubt Vermaelen is made of the right stuff but opinion of him is based on Autumn 2009 when he scored a freak amount of goals and had his honeymoon period. He's still got it all to prove.
I agree with this, he's had half a good season...the other half of the season he had, he made plenty of errors and generally wasn't as good.

As you said has it all to prove and after a year out doubt it's going to be easy for him.

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I'm sure it's that way for some people, obviously I don't think I fall into that category, otherwise I wouldn't think it. It's not a knack, so much as something he's done 3 or 4 times from my memory, most of those times when we were dominating but needed to push up so not such a bad idea really, just needs to be timed better and the midfield needs to have a little bit of awareness.

Regardless, it's something he'll definitely have to tone down if Song continues to forget he's covering defenders and Gibbs continues to believe he's a winger.

I should probably clarify, I meant that Vermaleen has left us compromised at the back 3 or 4 times rather than he's gone forwards 3 or 4 times, he's done that a little more often iirc.

fakeyank
24-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm sure it's that way for some people, obviously I don't think I fall into that category, otherwise I wouldn't think it. It's not a knack, so much as something he's done 3 or 4 times from my memory, most of those times when we were dominating but needed to push up so not such a bad idea really, just needs to be timed better and the midfield needs to have a little bit of awareness.

Regardless, it's something he'll definitely have to tone down if Song continues to forget he's covering defenders and Gibbs continues to believe he's a winger

Our back line barring Sagna is a disaster waiting to happen. They are all inexperienced, young and have no concept of defending. How Arsene believes that not having a defensive coach and new experienced players at the back is acceptable is beyond me!

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Except for the older guys with experience ofc, like our CB's consist of a 24 year old ,2 25 year olds and a 30 year old. Add that to the fact that there were only 4 defences better than ours, none from open play and we're looking to bring in another defender and your post looks a little hysterical.

Set-pieces are a problem and we're working towards it, you really think NO-ONE currently on our staff understand defence? You think Bould wouldn't step in and say 'excuse me Arsene, I think you meant to say the defence should move as a unit rather than instructing Clichy to stay at least 2 yards behind at all times' if he knew it was happening?

Marc Overmars
24-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Regardless, it's something he'll definitely have to tone down if Song continues to forget he's covering defenders and Gibbs continues to believe he's a winger.

I should probably clarify, I meant that Vermaleen has left us compromised at the back 3 or 4 times rather than he's gone forwards 3 or 4 times, he's done that a little more often iirc.

To me he's always been naturally inclined to go forward and that's not an essential attribute really, it's a luxury and it's a luxury that will be encouraged here rather than toned down to focus on something we actually need, which is a stubborn and disciplined defence.

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 10:36 PM
If it's an inclination just to rampage forwards, it's nearly always unnecessary but if it's more a desire to push up and provide some impetus when the play slows down it can be useful, I think he would be encouraged to do the latter, rather than needlessly compromising us. It's one of the things the invincibles did well, knowing when to defend and when to push up, if Vermaelen wasn't just talikng out of his arse about studying the game whilst he was out I suspect he might know how to judge it better this season.

fakeyank
24-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Except for the older guys with experience ofc, like our CB's consist of a 24 year old ,2 25 year olds and a 30 year old. Add that to the fact that there were only 4 defences better than ours, none from open play and we're looking to bring in another defender and your post looks a little hysterical.

Set-pieces are a problem and we're working towards it, you really think NO-ONE currently on our staff understand defence? You think Bould wouldn't step in and say 'excuse me Arsene, I think you meant to say the defence should move as a unit rather than instructing Clichy to stay at least 2 yards behind at all times' if he knew it was happening?

My bad on the part where I called them young. I looked at Gibbs and then at the inexperience of DJ and said they are young. Of course I do believe that CB's get better with age and their best times are late 20s early 30s but lets say I was wrong to call them young. The open play argument that AW brought was just another way to make us fans feel better that our defense is ok. Does it matter if we conceded goals in open play or from set pieces? We conceded goals when the other team just got a corner or a FK.. Most Arsenal fans could give a f*ck less about whether it was open or closed play.
As for this statement 'Set-pieces are a problem and we're working towards it, you really think NO-ONE currently on our staff understand defence?', you must be kidding right?! Set pieces is not a new problem, it has been a problem since 06/07. The staff probably do understand defense but the problem I see is that nobody has the balls to step in and tell Arsene that enough of practicing 5 a side triangular championships at practice and time to learn some defending as a unit. For eg: we know our team has a height problem.. is it something new? No, we have noticed the same thing for the last 3-4 seasons but nothing has been done. Arsene talks the talk in the end of the recent disappointing seasons but never walks the walk.

The problem if I can sum it up is Arsene Wenger. May be its the amount of power he has for his past achievements or may be its his personality that no one challenges him or tells him that he is being a pathetic fuck who is ruining the great legacy he built.

Kano
25-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Szczesny

Wilshere - Song

Van Persie

Valencia president Manuel Llorente insists in-demand star Juan Mata will not be sold this summer.

A host of clubs are thought to be chasing Mata, with the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City all credited with an interest in the 23-year-old.

Mata has claimed he is happy to stay at Valencia, despite the constant speculation over his future at La Mestalla.

Valencia coach Unai Emery admitted earlier this month they may sell if a big team comes in with an attractive offer because of the club's financial problems.

However, Llorente is adamant the skilful attacker is not for sale at any price.

"The decision is clear and money will not change our position," Llorente told Superdeporte.

"Valencia will not sell to any club that wants to buy Mata."

not happening

selassie
25-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I honestly think we'll line up like this come the end of the transfer window...

Chesney

Sagna
Kos
Vermaelen
Gibbs

Song

Wilshere
Nasri

Theo
RVP (C)
Gervinho

Subs: Fabianski, Djourou, Arshavin, Ramsey, Traore, Rosicky & Chamakh

Daniele
25-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I honestly think we'll line up like this come the end of the transfer window...

Chesney

Sagna
Kos
Vermaelen
Gibbs

Song

Wilshere
Nasri

Theo
RVP (C)
Gervinho

Subs: Fabianski, Djourou, Arshavin, Ramsey, Traore, Rosicky & Chamakh