PDA

View Full Version : George Graham says we'll be dropping out of the top four.

AKBapologist
24-07-2011, 03:43 PM
George Graham believes that Arsenal may have to end up fighting to remain in the top six, let alone the top four in the years to come.

The Gunners finished fourth in the Premier League last season, and now have to play a qualifier to make their way to the group stages of the Champions League.

And the former boss believes that the lack of silverware, rigid wage structure and the considerably less spending on big players means that the north London outfit could struggle to keep up with the rest of the pack in the coming years.

"The simple fact is that Arsenal could well be facing, in the next few years, the prospect of a battle to stay in the top six rather than the top four finish that Arsene has brought them – against the financial odds – every year," Graham said, according to The Mirror.

"To compete for the title this year is going to be a huge task.

"You look at what Manchester United and Manchester City have spent already and what Chelsea are capable of spending.

"There is the prospect that Arsenal could be in the same kind of bracket as Everton and Aston Villa.

"The best players will naturally congregate at the most successful clubs. That is just common sense.

"And those clubs will pay wages that Arsenal cannot match and pay fees that Arsenal cannot lay out."

However, Graham insists that this is not a reflection on current boss Arsene Wenger, who he holds in high regard.

"Don’t get me wrong, I think that Arsene has done a fantastic job at the club.

"If you look at the money he has spent and the money he has re-couped in his time as manager, his achievements have been little short of remarkable.

"But the whole financial scene has changed now. He used to basically have the French market to himself because of his knowledge and contacts. He hasn’t now. Other clubs have caught up.

"And there are three clubs now who can pay high fees and high wages – higher fees and higher wages than Arsenal. That restricts him.

"He has still managed to keep the club in the Champions League places every year and that is some record.

"But when it comes to finance the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City now have more cash at their disposal and when it comes to fees and wages, Arsene – and Arsenal – cannot compete. That is the reality."
what does he know eh, didnt some one tell him that we've got loads of money?

:coffee:

Joker
24-07-2011, 03:50 PM
If we don't use the next month productively in terms of transfers, then there's every chance we'll drop out of the top 4. As it currently stands, I would agree that we're the team most likely to lose our UCL qualification spot, because while teams around us have strengthened considerably, we've only signed Jenkinson and Gervinho, who may well turn out to be good players, but we need more than that to improve on our shambolic end to last season. Moreover, I do think we have enough money to make the necessary purchases to improve the squad. No one's asking Wenger to spend Ł100M on Messi, and deciding to spend a few more million than currently being offered for players like Cahill will hardly bankrupt us will it?

Cripps_orig
24-07-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=238&page=4

Özim
24-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Wenger being complacent again so he could be right (but out of the top 4 rather than top 6). After last season's shambolic 2nd half of the season you'd have expected a normal person to realise changes are needed, but as usual he does next to nothing in the transfer market.

It's quite something being so stubborn.

KSE Comedy Club
24-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Even though I think Wenger needs to get off his arse and bring in a few quality players, that article is complete horseshit.

Darth Vela
24-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, no.

People predict this every season and are always wrong, there simply aren't 4 teams better than us so we have to be favourites to land at least a top 4 spot, I know there's no god given right yadda yadda yadda but it's more likely we'll finish 4 and up rather than below.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Well, no.

People predict this every season and are always wrong, there simply aren't 4 teams better than us so we have to be favourites to land at least a top 4 spot, I know there's no god given right yadda yadda yadda but it's more likely we'll finish 4 and up rather than below.

TBH i think its a real possibilty us dropping out if AW and the board don't sort out what is needed. tbh i think the top 3 players are or at least 2 are sown up with the mancs and the chavs.

It will be between us and pool maybe spuds who gets that 4th spot tbh.

But us finishing outside the top six is total rubbish. even by Graham's standard

Marc Overmars
24-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yay, finishing 4th ftw.

LDG
24-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Quite happy for us to be underestimated. Of course we need to strengthen, but that's to keep up with Utd and Chelsea, don't think we can honestly keep up with city and their money over the next few years.Yes it'll be very çompetetive' but we're not shit, and we're better than spuds, villa, everton etc by a fucking absolute mile. We'll be there or thereabouts next season. But I'd like Wenger to push the boat out to see if we can have a run at the league again, and go for a cup.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2011, 06:08 PM
It doesn't look like Wenger is going to correct the problems that desperately need to be corrected. Whether this is wilful neglect or a constraint placed on him by the unimaginably greedy, anti-football cunts in the boardroom we don't know. So not much will change and judging by how meekly we threw away 2nd and then 3rd spot last year I can see us throwing away 4th to Liverpool. I predict 5th or 6th depending on how well the spuds do (they will decide the order not us as we already know our lot will collapse should it be close). I think we'll still have just about enough to handle Villa and Everton, again provided we have opened up enough of a lead on them by the final third of the season.

Of course if Wenger bought the defenders we need plus got rid of that cunt Chamakh and brought in a proper striker - then I'd tip us for a title challenge.

cricketsi
24-07-2011, 06:16 PM
It doesn't look like Wenger is going to correct the problems that desperately need to be corrected. Whether this is wilful neglect or a constraint placed on him by the unimaginably greedy, anti-football cunts in the boardroom we don't know. So not much will change and judging by how meekly we threw away 2nd and then 3rd spot last year I can see us throwing away 4th to Liverpool. I predict 5th or 6th depending on how well the spuds do (they will decide the order not us as we already know our lot will collapse should it be close). I think we'll still have just about enough to handle Villa and Everton, again provided we have opened up enough of a lead on them by the final third of the season.

Of course if Wenger bought the defenders we need plus got rid of that cunt Chamakh and brought in a proper striker - then I'd tip us for a title challenge.

What a load of drivel - we won't keep dropping just because we cocked up at the end of last season. By the same logic, having seen Norwich rise to the challenge and move up divisions year on year I can't look beyond them for a top 4 finish.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2011, 06:21 PM
That's right, I forgot - last year was the first time we've collapsed under pressure. You're right, if we look at the last six years and how we've performed then 4th place is assured. And the Norwich thing, that makes it certain we'll be at least 4th.

cricketsi
24-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Nope, we've cracked multiple times and still not lost 4th place, which means it makes even less sense for you to extrapolate to us slipping down based on last season.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Roy Hodgeson got us 4th last year, we won't be so lucky this time around. Unless Wenger does something for the club rather than the board, for a change.

Kano
24-07-2011, 07:01 PM
what does he know eh, didnt some one tell him that we've got loads of money?

:coffee:

exactly, fuck all. he's at least 10 years out of touch

Özim
24-07-2011, 07:11 PM
exactly, fuck all. he's at least 10 years out of touch
Not bad, that's only 4 more years than Wenger.

Fats
24-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Not bad, that's only 4 more years than Wenger.

now thats funny

gunsofashburtongrove
25-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Two of our primary issues last season were 1. Lack of fight, which is think would be taken care by selling the non-believers and loanin/selling dead wood 2. Defence-I would expect another CB atleast and wish for another LB. For some reason with or without a new buy i have a feeling that our defence is not going to be outstanding neither will it plummet to the depths of this season. With Gervinho and possibly Ryo on the bench we could end up playing more direct than in the immediate past. In all I'am look forward to another top 4 finish.

Daniele
25-07-2011, 11:53 AM
as things stand, we're going to end up 5th or 6th.

Daniele
25-07-2011, 12:02 PM
George Graham? was he talking about Premier League or Bung League?

Marc Overmars
25-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I do believe we're more likely to drop out of the top 4 than win the title anytime soon, however we've only been in genuine danger once, arguably twice of dropping out. As frustrated as I am about the club at the moment I do believe the team is more than good enough to secure the cash cow that is 4th. Spurs and Liverpool will be fighting with us but they, like us, have many inconsistencies to iron out as well. One thing is for certain though, City have made things very tight and competitive now and we must try to raise the bar ourselves as well.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 12:14 PM
At worst, we'll finish 6th.

At best 4th.

Top 3 is done and dusted. Down to us, Liverpool and Spuds for 4th and the other 2 probably have the advantage over us in that

Özim
25-07-2011, 12:16 PM
It'll be a battle for 4th as usual for sure, I don't think we're a particularly happy camp at the moment though and with Spurs not being in the CL this year and Liverpool having strengthened and having a new manager they'll be more of a threat.

The lack of signings is disappointing though, we needed some new blood, but we're getting very little....not really looking forward to the season to be honest, which isn't how it should be.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 12:21 PM
The fans need something to get excited about. A big signing would be great. Wenger leaving would be better.

Right now, as it stands, we have hit rock bottom. We have no hope in this team. I have seen nothing on and off the pitch this summer to wax lyrical about.

selassie
25-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I dunno...at present our top 4 status looks as precarious as it did 08/09. I think assuming we keep hold of Cesc & Nasri we should finish top 4, without them and if we don't replace them properly we may well finish outside of top 4.

The sad thing is if we were more ambitious in the market we could be real title challengers with a few additions.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 12:49 PM
The sad thing is if we were more ambitious in the market we could be real title challengers with a few additions.

True but as shown over the transfer windows, especially the January ones over the last 6 years, Wenger and the board would rather finish top 4 than go for the title. The couple of times we have been in somewhat of a title challenge, we have bought no one in January to strengthen and take us to the title. The times we have struggled to finish 4th, we've bought in players

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 12:56 PM
The fans need something to get excited about. A big signing would be great. Wenger leaving would be better.

Right now, as it stands, we have hit rock bottom. We have no hope in this team. I have seen nothing on and off the pitch this summer to wax lyrical about.

Could be worse tbh, we could be everton who have had no signings since for ever tbh. End of they day we havbe to accpet that we not going to win the league until we pay of the stadium and have proper money to spend.

But our goal should be to win a trophie even if its the CC thats where the problem lies. we don't go for our realistic targerts and worry about ones we can't make tbh.

Its obvious AW has no faith in this team but can't really change it that much.

end of the day it don't matter which manager we bring in unless we get a new board any manager with this board won't spend anyway.

But i agree this summer is make or Break for AW tbh if he don't sign quality and we don't win anything in the words or ACH "THE CUNT SHOULD FUCK OFF"

Power n Glory
25-07-2011, 01:05 PM
It all depends on the other teams. We'll see more of the same from us and if two or three teams raise their game to really go for the final CL spot we'll end up outside of the top 4.

The signs from pre season point to more of the same.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 01:20 PM
It all depends on the other teams. We'll see more of the same from us and if two or three teams raise their game to really go for the final CL spot we'll end up outside of the top 4.

The signs from pre season point to more of the same.

This..

I would say its good for us to be underestimated and how that could work out, but we all know it won't be if we don't get what we need.

Toronto Gooner
25-07-2011, 11:02 PM
At worst, we'll finish 6th.

At best 4th.

Top 3 is done and dusted. Down to us, Liverpool and Spuds for 4th and the other 2 probably have the advantage over us in that
Oh, yea of little faith.

Personally, I would predict that one of the guaranteed, lock-on, bet your savings on them top 3 will not be in the top 2 come the end of the season. And I think that it will be Chelsea.

Kano
25-07-2011, 11:22 PM
nah, man city

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Oh, yea of little faith.Personally, I would predict that one of the guaranteed, lock-on, bet your savings on them top 3 will not be in the top 2 come the end of the season. And I think that it will be Chelsea. So they'll finish 3rd then which doesn't change anything about my post

Kano
25-07-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnPnXN8Di8A&feature=related

rebuilding the stadium and a new cb, surely the omens are good...

i used to love that all yellow long sleeve strip