PDA

View Full Version : Have you missed football this summer?

Marc Overmars
25-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I haven't, not in the slightest in fact.

I've actually grown fond of other sports in this time, namely Boxing and Tennis which I think are more honourable sports and require far more physical exertion than football.

So yeah. Football. :rose:

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Nope.

And i hate Wenger for making me feel like that. Ive read people say that the money, diving and all the other antics players get up to have turned them off football and thats fair enough but for me, Arsene has.

Özim
25-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Not at all, not excited about the new season in the least and I agree it's Wenger's fault.

He seems to have forgotten about that little thing called anticipation and excitement, a decent signing or two might create some excitement and give everyone a boost.

He never wants to change anything and when it's clearly not working it's both frustrating and annoying, I resent Wenger for it in fact.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Tennis being awesome this year has played a part as well tbh.

Theres Cricket as well. As boring as Test cricket is, Arsenal are even more so.

Master Splinter
25-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Tennis :bow:

Best sport in the world.

Good to see some new converts. Time to start a Tennis Clique tbh.

Kano
25-07-2011, 02:07 PM
cant wait to get back to the emirates and the other live stuff on sky

other sports like tennis are good fun but nothing in comparison

PGFC
25-07-2011, 02:22 PM
What? whilst there are Test matches on? not a chance.

Joker
25-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I have tbh. I keep a passing interest in other sports, but none of them can hold a candle to football in terms of excitement IMO.

LDG
25-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Meh.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Not even annoyed as i would have been in previous years that majority of our pre season games are on ESPN which i dont have.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Not at all, not excited about the new season in the least and I agree it's Wenger's fault.

He seems to have forgotten about that little thing called anticipation and excitement, a decent signing or two might create some excitement and give everyone a boost.

He never wants to change anything and when it's clearly not working it's both frustrating and annoying, I resent Wenger for it in fact.

Nope.

And i hate Wenger for making me feel like that. Ive read people say that the money, diving and all the other antics players get up to have turned them off football and thats fair enough but for me, Arsene has.

How can it be Wengers fault does he controll all footie ffs. football has not been missed because the other sports this summer have been alwsome like the tennnis and the cricket and can't want fot the Rugby wold cup and Athletics Championships.

Özim
25-07-2011, 07:07 PM
How can it be Wengers fault does he controll all footie ffs. football has not been missed because the other sports this summer have been alwsome like the tennnis and the cricket and can't want fot the Rugby wold cup and Athletics Championships.
How's it Wenger's fault:

1) Boring predictable football
2) Total bottle job style collapse
3) Next to no new signings
4) No acknowledgment that thing's need to change or that after the nth collapse there's a fundamental problem
5) Amateurish behaviour and management

So yeah, he's the guy ruining it for me, the sooner he f*cks off the better.

Letters
25-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Not really.
Nothing to do with Wenger, football is increasingly predictable as the money talks, players are increasingly spoilt, unlikeable arseholes who have no loyalty to the fans or club.
The sport as a whole is far less fun than it used to be.
Pity.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Not as much as I missed it towards the tail end of last season - what WAS that shit we were "playing" on the field anyway?

Marc Overmars
25-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Not as much as I missed it towards the tail end of last season - what WAS that shit we were "playing" on the field anyway?

Now that the heat of that has passed and we can look back with a cool head, you have to say it was quite something. 2 wins in 3 months...incredible. There were teams battling relegation who picked up more points than us in that time. The air of resignation before every game because we knew exactly what would happen...*shudder*.

Hopefully we don't endure a run like that this season, where all hope is sapped away.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
How's it Wenger's fault:

1) Boring predictable football
2) Total bottle job style collapse
3) Next to no new signings
4) No acknowledgment that thing's need to change or that after the nth collapse there's a fundamental problem
5) Amateurish behaviour and management

So yeah, he's the guy ruining it for me, the sooner he f*cks off the better.

Bit of a numpty aren't you did thread is not about Arsenal ,but footie altogether. is is aw fault that the Copa america was shit etc. i be

But i guess another dig at AW, if your football revolves around Arsenal and Wenger i udggest you get out more.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Not really.
Nothing to do with Wenger, football is increasingly predictable as the money talks, players are increasingly spoilt, unlikeable arseholes who have no loyalty to the fans or club.
The sport as a whole is far less fun than it used to be.
Pity.

:gp:

Özim
25-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Bit of a numpty aren't you did thread is not about Arsenal ,but footie altogether. is is aw fault that the Copa america was shit etc. i be

But i guess another dig at AW, if your football revolves around Arsenal and Wenger i udggest you get out more.
You're the numpty, I didn't even watch the Copa America, never been interested in that, only interested in the Euro's and the World Cup other than club football.

The reason I'VE lost interest is because of the stuff I said. My life doesn't revolve around football and thank f*ck for that.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 08:40 PM
How can it be Wengers fault does he controll all footie ffs. football has not been missed because the other sports this summer have been alwsome like the tennnis and the cricket and can't want fot the Rugby wold cup and Athletics Championships. Its pretty simple. If Arsenal were doing well, I'd enjoy football. If we are doing shit and we are then I don't and that's towards all football cos I'll watch other games with their good defending and good attacking and I'll be thinking "ffs why can't we play like that instead of the shit we serve up game after game, season after season"Wenger has killed football

Letters
25-07-2011, 08:45 PM
So you're a glory hunter?

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 08:48 PM
You're the numpty, I didn't even watch the Copa America, never been interested in that, only interested in the Euro's and the World Cup other than club football.

The reason I'VE lost interest is because of the stuff I said. My life doesn't revolve around football and thank f*ck for that.

Then how can you say its AW fault that footie is shit as a whole these days. thats my point.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 08:48 PM
The air of resignation before every game...

Stop teasing me, he'll never resign.

Master Splinter
25-07-2011, 08:49 PM
So you're a glory hunter?

Pretty much.

They're easy to spot.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Its pretty simple. If Arsenal were doing well, I'd enjoy football. If we are doing shit and we are then I don't and that's towards all football cos I'll watch other games with their good defending and good attacking and I'll be thinking "ffs why can't we play like that instead of the shit we serve up game after game, season after season"Wenger has killed football

How can AW have kiled football was it his fault Argentina were shite at the Copa America or the fact the Womens world cup was dross to some. Or was it his fault that the wold cup was not the best last season.

im talking about football as a sport

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Then how can you say its AW fault that footie is shit as a whole these days. thats my point.

Football (English football at least) started going downhill fast when Eboue was brought into the league. There's only one man responsible for that, Wenger. He has a lot to answer for, the Ebouification of the game we love. Despicable. Then the bastard Chamaked us right up the arse.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 08:52 PM
How can AW have kiled football was it his fault Argentina were shite at the Copa America or the fact the Womens world cup was dross to some. Or was it his fault that the wold cup was not the best last season.

Yes, Wenger tipped Argentina to win it and when they looked at his record they collapsed. He was clearly to blame for the Argentine failure, I'm not sure why people are so keen to make excuses for him all the time.

Özim
25-07-2011, 08:55 PM
The question was whether we'd missed football, my answer was no because of the reason's mentioned, I don't see what's so complicated.

If we had an exciting team and a forward thinking manager, then yes I would have missed it...unfortunately everything is stale and boring and thus there's nothing to miss.

I still enjoy the World cup and the Euro's so football as a whole isn't sh*t.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 08:59 PM

I think you have completely missed the point of the post and the thread

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 09:42 PM
So you're a glory hunter?Can't be. Still support Arsenal despite 6 years of shiteness

Letters
25-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure that's what being a glory hunter means. Unless you're 10 you don't go around swapping clubs but if you can only enjoy things when they're going well then...well, look forward to a lifetime of disappointment because the first half of Wenger's time with us was just about as good as it gets as a football fan. If you think dropping to the bottom of the top 4 rather than being at the top is so terrible then you've lost all sense of what supporting a real club with all the ups and downs is like.

GP
25-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure that's what being a glory hunter means. Unless you're 10 you don't go around swapping clubs but if you can only enjoy things when they're going well then...well, look forward to a lifetime of disappointment because the first half of Wenger's time with us was just about as good as it gets as a football fan. If you think dropping to the bottom of the top 4 rather than being at the top is so terrible then you've lost all sense of what supporting a real club with all the ups and downs is like.

Great post.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 09:57 PM

I think the ups and downs have changed somewhat. It used to be sometimes the effort paid off and you won, sometimes the effort came up short and you lost, more wins than losses and you could shoot for a trophy. But there was always effort! Plus there was a continuity, there was a fair chance of being able to predict if the club was on the up or heading down because players would stick around, there was a familiarity to the team that you could grow with as a fan.

Now the players are cunts and the owners/ board members are blood sucking shit stains.

So it's different, today the fan is only required to kick in the money. When you listen to the players, managers and owners - a lot of the time it sounds as if they wish the fans would pay up front and then not bother to turn up. We're very much viewed as an inconvenient necessity rather than the heart and soul of the club. For me, there's not enough respect for the fans and that's bound to rub off. It's hard to be passionate about a bunch of giant sucking leeches.

Letters
25-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Well, I agree with all that but that's why football has become shit and is nothing to do with Arsenal specifically.
I agree that the ups and downs were things you went through with the club and players in days of yore because the fans had a real connection with the club and the players.
That connection has been lost as the fans are treated as customers who the club try to extract increasing amounts of money out of and the players are mercenaries from all over who will kiss the badge one week and piss off the next when someone waves a sufficiently large cheque at them.

But these are problems throughoug football.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure that's what being a glory hunter means. Unless you're 10 you don't go around swapping clubs but if you can only enjoy things when they're going well then...well, look forward to a lifetime of disappointment because the first half of Wenger's time with us was just about as good as it gets as a football fan. If you think dropping to the bottom of the top 4 rather than being at the top is so terrible then you've lost all sense of what supporting a real club with all the ups and downs is like. I can take the not winning trophies. Not every team wins a trophy every year. Its the continuous BS that we get from Wenger and his merry bunch of muppets season after season with no sign of change that has taken the enjoyment out of the game for me. I don't care about any other club. The first 4 years of the 6 years, I was patient enough. Anyone on GW during 2006-2010 during that time would have noticed how optimistic I was and that the good times were around the corner and the Wenger cheap ass signings of average to shit players would be over.2 years on we are even worse and patience has run out. Wenger has no interest in sorting out the weaknesses in our club and is happy to take the money.One of the other things that have turned me off football is how these days teams play not to lose rather than play to win and the likes of Stoke, Blackburn etc are praised for the thug tactics.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah I have, I love watching football. Thankfully I love watching lots of other sports too though.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, I agree with all that but that's why football has become shit and is nothing to do with Arsenal specifically.
I agree that the ups and downs were things you went through with the club and players in days of yore because the fans had a real connection with the club and the players.
That connection has been lost as the fans are treated as customers who the club try to extract increasing amounts of money out of and the players are mercenaries from all over who will kiss the badge one week and piss off the next when someone waves a sufficiently large cheque at them.

But these are problems throughoug football.

Mostly Wenger's fault though - you have to admit.

Boss
25-07-2011, 10:50 PM
As long as the quality is good and teams try to attack football will always be entertaining to watch.

The Asian Cup and the Copa America (only Uruguay in the latter tbf) were brilliant this year.