PDA

View Full Version : New first-team coach & "defensive co-ordinator"

Injury Time
26-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Almost missed this buried in another "prospect gone crock" article but had seen him a couple times in reserves...
Former Arsenal defender Ryan Garry has been forced to retire from football at the age of 27.The versatile full-back, who featured in Arsenal's 2001 FA Youth Cup Final triumph, has called time on his playing career at Bournemouth after failing to recover from a persistent nerve-related problem in his lower leg and will become first-team coach and defensive co-ordinator at the club.A former scholar at Highbury, Garry signed professional terms with Arsenal in July 2001 and made his first-team debut in Arsenal's 3-2 Worthington Cup Third-Round defeat at home to Sunderland in November 2002.His only Premiership appearance was in a 6-1 victory over Southampton in May 2003, the game that started Arsenal’s 49-game unbeaten run.Okay football gurus what is a "defensive co-ordinator"?

Niall_Quinn
26-07-2011, 10:01 PM
If I had to guess and based on the article above, I'd say it was a role taken very seriously at any club that's not called Arsenal.

Kano
26-07-2011, 10:20 PM
it's an american football term

Injury Time
26-07-2011, 10:30 PM
it's an american football term
Meaning... & how does that apply to a "soccer" team?

Kano
26-07-2011, 10:58 PM
not sure

http://www.soccercoachingnotes.com/coaching/tactical/soccer-team-defense.html

hymppi
27-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Almost missed this buried in another "prospect gone crock" article but had seen him a couple times in reserves...Okay football gurus what is a "defensive co-ordinator"?

at arsenal or at bournemouth?

Letters
27-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Interesting, and perhaps encouraging. It's good to see we recognise the NEED for a defensive co-ordinator. Some sign maybe that the problems there are being addressed or at least they're attempting to do so?

server too busy!
27-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty sure thats at Bournemouth

Özim
27-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Interesting, and perhaps encouraging. It's good to see we recognise the NEED for a defensive co-ordinator. Some sign maybe that the problems there are being addressed or at least they're attempting to do so?
You are kidding right?

Ryan Garry wasn't even a decent player, so making him a defensive co-ordinator has to be a wind-up surely?

I'm amazed how easily pleased you are, how you could be happy for us to employ (if indeed it is for us) someone who was never any good and has no experience to handle the defence is beyond me.

This is in no way addressing the problem. Anyway hopefully this is for Bournemouth a more suitable level for him.

Marc Overmars
27-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Must be.

What credentials does he have to land a job like that here?

hymppi
27-07-2011, 08:19 AM
:)
scroll down the link...

http://www.afcb.co.uk/page/Management/0,,10324,00.html

Özim
27-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Must be.

What credentials does he have to land a job like that here?
If you go by what Letters thinks, plenty!

Özim
27-07-2011, 08:20 AM
scroll down the link...

http://www.afcb.co.uk/page/Management/0,,10324,00.html
Thank f*ck for that, that makes more sense...good luck to him!

LDG
27-07-2011, 08:32 AM
What a shit thread.

Injury Time
27-07-2011, 02:23 PM
You're right. Still wonder what the post is....
:run:

Injury Time
27-07-2011, 02:24 PM
What a shit thread.:fingers:

Letters
27-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Ryan Garry wasn't even a decent player

Nor was Wenger.
Or, if you're so filled with stupid hatred for Wenger, nor was Fergie.
Being a top player doesn't automatically make you a top coach and vice-versa. If you know anything about the history of football you'll know that the really top players are often rubbish coaches or managers.

I don't know if this addresses the problem or not and I've said that but at least they're recognising there IS a problem.

Stop being such a dick all the time. Fanx.

Kano
27-07-2011, 02:39 PM
it's for bournemouth not arsenal

Injury Time
27-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Shh dont spoil the fight.

Once finished move out of Arsenal debate :tiphat:

Letters
27-07-2011, 03:08 PM
it's for bournemouth not arsenal

Oh is it? :lol:

What's this doing in here then?

IT! <_<

Injury Time
27-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh is it? :lol:

What's this doing in here then?

IT! <_<
Ffs man read other people's posts!:run:

Özim
27-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Nor was Wenger.
Being a top player doesn't automatically make you a top coach and vice-versa. If you know anything about the history of football you'll know that the really top players are often rubbish coaches or managers.

I don't know if this addresses the problem or not and I've said that but at least they're recognising there IS a problem.

This is a joke right?

Wenger had experience managing, what experience has this guy got, his career has just ended and he wasn't great defensively and has no experience in coaching.

He's going to be at Bournemouth fortunately, but the fact you think it would have been OK to have him is just plain weird to be honest.

Marc Overmars
27-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Have to agree with Zim here, Letters has had a shocker.

Out of all our retired ex players that could help out, Ryan fricking Garry would be deemed acceptable? :lol:

Letters
27-07-2011, 03:30 PM
He's going to be at Bournemouth

</thread>

Letters
27-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Out of all our retired ex players that could help out, Ryan fricking Garry would be deemed acceptable? :lol:

I didn't say he would.
Anywhere.
What I said was (and this was based on my inability to read :lol: ) was that if we're recognising a need for a defensive organiser then that is a good thing.
Which is obviously true.

fakeyank
27-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Nor was Wenger.

I agree with this. I'd have been scared if he was a good player because they end up being c*nts! A bad player whose injury messes up careers end up being the diamond in the rough.. look at AVB, Mourinho, AW (not anymore), Fergie.. all brilliant managers but terrible playing record.
But whats the point of this discussion since he is not with us anyway.. m'fuckas at Bournemouth! :fingers:

Master Splinter
27-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Fergie was a decent player tbf.

Keith
27-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I could walk into the changing room, and explain how to defend:-

1. Corner - "head the fucking ball away. Abou - Pay attention."

2. Throw In - "head the fucking ball away. Gael - Against Stoke, don't keep clearing it for a corner! Where has Gael gone?!"

Fats
28-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Nor was Wenger.

Shocking personal attack from a MOD

Fist of Lehmann
28-07-2011, 02:08 PM
There is a famous quote from Arrigo Sacchi who said:

"I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first"

The two skillsets do not necessarily overlap.

Although Sacchi never played at a professional level, he did win back-to-back European Cups in 89-90.