PDA

View Full Version : NYC stubs it out!

Flavs
23-05-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13467728

Hmm not sure what to make of this really, i appreciate the health issues but its all getting a bit extreme now, any other sociatal group were treated this way there would be uproar.

Hump
23-05-2011, 01:45 PM
yeah but if smokers start shouting from the rooftops all that happens is they double up in paroxsyms of phlegmy hacking coughs.

Letters
23-05-2011, 01:53 PM
If smoking were invented today it would be banned. It's a historical quirk that it's legal. But the genie is out of the bottle there so whaddaya do? Looking back it's just bizarre that people used to be able to smoke on the Tube and in pubs and bars. You used to come out of the pub reeking of smoke and that prolonged exposure to smoke can't be good for you.

Banning it in open air seems a little extreme though, the exposure can't surely be as prolonged or concentrated as in an enclosed space and they've already dealt with that.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Going too far though I do agree with banning smoking on beaches. Some people are inconsiderate disgusting bastards and just treat them as giant ashtrays. It was a bit of a nightmare when my son was younger as I constantly had to pay close attention to every scoop of sand he was playing with.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I like the bit in that article about it being legal to smoke on the median in the road, i can just picture NYC being full of people stood in te middle of the roads on their fag breaks

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I like the bit in that article about it being legal to smoke on the median in the road, i can just picture NYC being full of people stood in te middle of the roads on their fag breaks

they don't have 'fag' breaks in NY.

Flavs
23-05-2011, 02:10 PM
they don't have 'fag' breaks in NY.

in greenwich villiage they do ;)

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Good.

It's a dirty habit and if this forces people into quitting then only good can come of it. The privacy of ones home should be the only place allowed.

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Touché!

Xhaka Can’t
23-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Good.

It's a dirty habit and if this forces people into quitting then only good can come of it. The privacy of ones home should be the only place allowed.
What if it is a household with children?

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 02:18 PM
What if it is a household with children?

If the parents are responsible enough they will put the welfare of their children above their habit.

fakeyank
23-05-2011, 02:57 PM

##

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Don't like governments oppressing people but smokers are sub human so its all good.

NYC :bow:

America :bow: leading the world to a brighter future as always.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't like governments oppressing people but smokers are sub human so its all good.

NYC :bow:

America :bow: leading the world to a brighter future as always.

LOL, America, always at the forefront of deception, but boy do they do PR bloody well! The car crazed culture that pumps out more filth than half the rest of the planet wants to save people from cigarette smoke in a carbon monoxide drenched shit-hole of a city. You have to laugh because the alternative is to be as insane as them. This was never about health and always about compliance. It would have been 100% easy to have smoking and non-smoking pubs, smoking and non-smoking restaurants, you know - the sort of civil liberty shit America is famed for but never actually lives up to in any way, shape or form. They could have even demanded smokers pay more for healthcare, fair enough - but blanket bans, rules and regulations and authoritarianism is always their preferred choice. Same here with our cuntish government. Smoking, fox hunting, refusing to piss on a burning politician, banned, banned, banned and welcome to the free world. The giant myth of America is alive and well.