PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Training Regime & Fitness

LDG
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
http://news.arseblog.com/index.php/2011/08/wenger-confirms-preference-for-lighter-players/

Arsene Wenger has revealed the ingredients which make up Arsenal’s highly technical pre-season training regime and confirmed his favour for lighter players with high technical ability.
The Frenchman, who sacrificed his side’s usual Austrian training camp in favour of a lucrative a tour of the Far East, saw his side booed off at the Emirates following a disappointing 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls but has never hidden the fact that the aim of summer training is to prepare for the long-term.
“Arsenal has a special way to play the game so of course we want to respect that in our programme,” the Frenchman confirmed in an interview with Nike’s Inside Edge (http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikefootball-en_GB/2011/07/21/inside-edge-play-with-style) website.
“Arsenal’s game is based on the ball on the ground, movement, technical quality. Therefore 90 per cent of the session is based on that.
“Our programme is never to add kilos to anybody, it is more to take off [weight] because contrary to the idea that people have the most important thing is the coordination; the lighter you are the more chances you have to be coordinated.”
Citing the impressive development of England midfielder Jack Wilshere, and with a nod to the likes of Emmanuel Frimpong, Carl Jenkinson and Benik Afobe, Wenger further stressed the importance of using friendly match minutes to assess the potential amongst his younger charges.
“For me the pre-season is a good opportunity to see the young players. You have this [2010/11] season for example Wilshere who played 50 games having convinced me during the pre-season.
“Because the difficulty of the games is getting bigger and bigger, you play first in a small game and he does well, you play in a bigger game and if he does well [again] then he can convince you that he has the level to be in the team.”
After a somewhat traumatic end to last season, the boss also conceded that the opportunity to reinvigorate the squad’s confidence was also a big part of his role:
“The coaching staff has to put a positive culture into the team because confidence at the start of the season will be very important.”
Adding his support to Wenger’s unique training set-up, club coach and 1993 Coca-Cola Cup hero, Steve Morrow continued:
“In general we probably have a different training programme to most clubs. It’s very technical based obviously which is hopefully reflected in the way we play on the field.”
Much criticism has been directed in recent seasons at the club’s medical staff due to the spate of fitness problems which have quite literally (in some cases) hamstrung Wenger’s squad. Reflecting on his role during these important weeks before the August kick-off head physiotherapist Colin Lewin also highlighted that everything is done to micro-manage the needs of individual players.
“If we feel an individual or two needs to be stronger then we get the strength and conditioners involved to make a decision.
“It’s all about individuals; that is why we have a screening day and have a good look through them from top to bottom to decide what they do and don’t need.”
Fingers crossed the coaching staff, medical team and players all get themselves into prime physical condition ahead of the first match of the season at Newcastle on August 13th.

See, I find this fucking weird.

I get that we want to be ahead of the game in preparation of players, but this stinks of Wengers computer.

Just get them trained in the basics of the game FFS. Learn to defend, learn to cross a ball, learn when to lump it.

This is why we fail so often.

Also, interesting bit from Colin Lewin. Micro managing players fitness???

So why the fuck is Arshavin so fat, why is Diaby made of glass, why does walcott miss half a season....etc etc etc. Logic would dictate we're doing something wrong wouldn't it??

Özim
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
All he cares about is the technical side and 5 yard passing.

Ironically though Barca make us look like novices in comparison despite us spending all our time working on this.

If that's all he cares about it's no wonder we have the problems we have and after hearing this you don't really believe they will ever be sorted.

He also talks about making players lighter, then why was Arshavin overweight, though IMO I don't think we could do with some more powerful players who could give us more of a physical presence. I think the injuries we get could also be linked to the fact he wants players to be small and light rather than strong, some laughed off the comments a while back that he doesn't like his players weight training in the gym, this further suggests he doesn't.

He's got so obsessed with certain things in recent years, it's all very odd.

Grebbo
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Shhhh Wenger knows. You should be bloody patient.

IBK
02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I find this revelation a bit disheartening, TBH.

What it means is that at a time when the game in England is becoming more physical, faster and more athletic, we are pretty much going in the opposite direction. Bit of a God delusion, for me.

Niall_Quinn
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
LOL, Wenger actually boasting about us being lightweights.

We're lightweights going all guns for 4th place and we're "confident we won't have a bad season."

Anyone who points out how absurd this all is needs to be "bloody patient", apparently.

Power n Glory
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
90% of our training sessions is based on ball on the ground work, technical ability and movement.

So what about crossing, defending set pieces, different man marking and positioning techniques, pressing....

We need a new manager. Even if we buy better players, he'll coach the good qualties out of them.

Darth Vela
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Hmm, hopefully the remaining 10% is the set-piece training Sczcesny was talking about although I'm assuming the concentration on ground work during pre-season is to help with blowing away the rust and that we probably add more of the tactical side closer to the start, like this period, now, who knows?

I like the idea of treating them as individuals rather than putting everybody through exactly the same program, seems like it works with some as Theo/Gibbs/Diaby have beefed up at various times but not with others as Vela and Denilson remained weak and kittenish when they could have done with more power.

selassie
02-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Arsene is like a Nutty Professor who is accountable to nobody.

KSE Comedy Club
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Fuck me, he's talking absolute drivel there.

So he likes to forget all the important basics of footbal in training, and instead focus on making traingle passes at 5 yards?

He needs to go, he really does. It hasnt worked for the last 6 years, why does he think its gonna work this year?

I despair, I really do :ilt:

fakeyank
03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Arsene :rose:

Fats
03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
As a coach I find that very strange. I have to believe that this was only part of the interview.

My lads have losts of slow continual jogging mixed with lots of short 5 yard bursts. Its fair to say most coaches do a lot of conditioning work without the ball and maybe thats not the right balance.

Thing is the higher fitness level you have the better you concentrate on your positioning and decision making is better because your not thinking "Im fucked" all the time.

Even for Wenger I cant believe this is the ful story.

Letters
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Even if we buy better players, he'll coach the good qualties out of them.

You can berate Wenger for lots of things but that isn't one of them.
You don't stay top 4 with a bunch of kids by coaching all the good qualities out of young players.

Ironing
03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
As a coach I find that very strange. I have to believe that this was only part of the interview.

My lads have losts of slow continual jogging mixed with lots of short 5 yard bursts. Its fair to say most coaches do a lot of conditioning work without the ball and maybe thats not the right balance.

Thing is the higher fitness level you have the better you concentrate on your positioning and decision making is better because your not thinking "Im fucked" all the time.

Even for Wenger I cant believe this is the ful story.

Our players are 'fit', that clearly isn't the issue here

Mr. Lahey
08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Arsene and his revolutionary training methods lol. Another Wenger myth. The way the team physically trains is not new or different in any way, nor was it new back when he first started with Arsenal.

If anything the physical training must be put into question given our injury record. That or the players he tends to choose are simply just fragile.

I think Wenger should take note of what they do in NOrth America when it comes to training. Injury proofing ones body is mandatory for all individuals in the off season here. SOme of the comments he makes here makes me wonder if he knows anything about strength training at all. Or it could just be his english and the words he uses.