PDA

View Full Version : New Server Problem

Marc Overmars
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet.

I'm accessing GW now from work and it is fine, I can see every new post.

However, I just went home for lunch and tried GW from my PC and all I could see was yesterdays posts and nothing from today. For example, Boss posted a thread about Chamberlain signing but I can't see that on here right now.

In fact I was the only logged in member as well. :unsure:

So essentially I'm stuck back in time at home.

Any help?

Cripps_orig
09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Posts have disappeared as well. Also last night i made a post in the london riots thread and i was automatically taken to the Adebayor on strike thread :blink:

Letters
09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I've not seen any problems like that but I'll mention this thread to Jofnn.
I've not seen any timeout problems like before which is a good thing.

MO, are you sure it wasn't a cacheing issue? Did you try refreshing? I've noticed a few problems where sometimes I look at the board and it looks like no-one has posted for a while but when i go into a sub-section I do see new posts.

Marc Overmars
09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I cleared my cache but didn't have any luck and refreshed it several times. Even went back to Google and searched for the site but it still took me to the barren site with posts from yesterday and with me as the only logged in member.

I am going to cry if being at work is the only way I can access GW...

Olivier's xmas twist
09-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I cleared my cache but didn't have any luck and refreshed it several times. Even went back to Google and searched for the site but it still took me to the barren site with posts from yesterday and with me as the only logged in member.

I am going to cry if being at work is the only way I can access GW...

A lot of threads have dissapred tbh, Can't find the Charity Shield one anywhere

Letters
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
We did lose threads from over the weekend. Jofnn said he took a backup when he shut down the old site but for some reason no posts from the weekend are showing now so he either restored an older version by mistake or...I'm not sure what other explanation there is but there might be something else going on.

I don't understand MO's problem, that's just weird. Can you post on the site with no recent posts, MO, see if the rest of us can see it?

Marc Overmars
09-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I did at lunch mate, I started a help thread along the same lines as this one. Then I realised no one could see it because I was the only member logged in.

Letters
09-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Weird. And you're definitely using the same URL? I know that the new IP address takes a while to propagate around the internet so it could be that your ISP at home is lagging a bit and hasn't got the new site catalogued properly yet. Only thing I can think of. If the problem persists let us know and we'll have a look.

Marc Overmars
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
The site works on my iPhone, albeit from my work wi-fi, I'll see tonight if it's ok from my home network.

LDG
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't see my posts from yesterday...

But that was because they were on temporary GW...ie. falvs facebook page.

Falvs, for hosting the site on his personal pages :bow:

Boss
09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem as MO (only member logged in) yesterday, but posts I made could be seen by other people apparently (MS commented on my Chamberlain thread iirc).

All fine now.

Letters
09-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I think it's what I said, the new address has taken a while to propagate around the interweb so some people will have seen the old site still.
Should sort itself out but Jof will change the old site to make it clear it's the old one so people know.

Marc Overmars
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Just got in and had the same problem but then suddenly everything was updated after a few refreshes. So yeah your explanation was probably right Lettuce about it taking a while to spread.

fakeyank
09-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I can't see my posts from yesterday...

But that was because they were on temporary GW...ie. falvs facebook page.

Falvs, for hosting the site on his personal pages :bow:

Falvs FB page :bow:

Jofnn
09-08-2011, 09:16 PM
There should be a page there now to stop people getting on :)

Master Splinter
10-08-2011, 01:22 AM
That crazy stuff was happening again.

Recently created threads reappeared and today's posts disappeared.

Now those threads have died again and today's posts are back.

Me and MO seemed to be the only ones trapped in this alternative reality, because when I logged back on later I noticed Maccy had been posting in the Carling Cup thread at the same time.

Arsenal Mania is becoming tempting tbh.

Jofnn
10-08-2011, 06:33 AM
It shouldn't be happening now as there's a new holding page there (i.e. preventing you getting to it...)

Next time it happens (i.e. when you can't see this particular post), open up a command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and type "ping goonersweb.co.uk" and tell me what IP it returns with. It should be returning with 96.125.161.231.

Thanks

Marc Overmars
10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah as MS said it died on us last night.

Then I couldn't see GW at all because it went to a 404 not found white page. Then eventually it went to that black page where you were advising everyone to clear their cache and contact you etc...

I did that but still couldn't access it.

I'm at work now and browsing fine, it's just at home where I've experienced a lot of problems. Hopefully it's ok tonight.

Letters
10-08-2011, 08:14 AM
If you're getting that black page then that's the old site - not the old old site, the new old site :blink:
Jofnn put the black page up so you can tell.

If the problem persists we can raise this with the hosts although the IP change should have propagated now and everyone should be on the new site. Let us know if you still get issues at home.

Marc Overmars
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Still not working at home. I deleted my bookmarked link and cleared the cache and cookies, to start from scratch.

goonersweb.co.uk takes me to the black page.

The link with /forum after it, to get to the board itself, takes me to a 404 not found white page. I tried it on IE as well because I use Firefox but I get the same problem with that too.

:upset:

Joker
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not an IT expert, but maybe flushing your DNS may work?

Most DNS clients cache the results of name resolution requests. This means that the DNS clients will temporarily store the website names that you have been visiting lately. This process speeds up name resolution if multiple lookups are done to the same address, such as is common when browsing the web. Hence, if you visit Yahoo.com second time, the DNS client will already have the name mapped and hence will retrieve the mapping quickly.

Sometimes a bad DNS entry will be cached and you will need to either flush the DNS cache to get rid of it, or wait up to 24 hours for it to be dropped from the cache automatically. Given below is a comprehensive step-by-step process to flush the DNS.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

I wouldn't do anything until Letters or Jofhn says it's safe to do so though, because I don't want to damage your network connection lol.

Letters
10-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Still not working at home. I deleted my bookmarked link and cleared the cache and cookies, to start from scratch.

goonersweb.co.uk takes me to the black page.

The link with /forum after it, to get to the board itself, takes me to a 404 not found white page. I tried it on IE as well because I use Firefox but I get the same problem with that too.

:upset:

Jofnn posted some instructions above to get the IP you're getting at home. Can you let us know what that gives? Ta.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
It takes a fair amount of time to finish loading the page, if I click on reply whilst it hasn't fully loaded it takes me to the advanced reply screen rather than opening quick reply.

LDG
10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Working loads better for me :dance:

No delays :dance:

Marc Overmars
10-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, the access I have at work is probably the smoothest it's ever been since we moved.

Of course I want to use it in the comfort of my own home though where I don't have to look over my shoulder!

I'll try that IP check tonight.

Letters
10-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks. It's working a lot better for me, even at work (slow ole IE7!)
Occasionally takes a while to finish loading the page but not had a single timeout since the upgrade.

hymppi
10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
the GW facebook clique :bow:

Marc Overmars
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I tried the IP test and I got the one Jofnn mentioned.It's just not working from my PC annoyingly. I've deduced that it's something specific to my browser, because I'm at home now and posting from my iPhone fine. I will try my mates laptop in a moment as well and I don't anticipate any problems on there either.

Letters
10-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Odd. And you've definitely, efinitely, wefinitely cleared your cache to make sure there's no issue there?

Reboot teh internets, tbh.

Marc Overmars
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Reboot teh internets, tbh.

It worked. :lol:

Technology. :doh:

Thanks for your help!

Jofnn
10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
:doh:

fakeyank
10-08-2011, 08:00 PM
It worked. :lol:

Technology. :doh:

Thanks for your help!

Dum ass!

GP
10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Slow as hell tonight

Letters
10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Your face is slow as hell :good:

(it's been fine for me)

Xhaka Can’t
10-08-2011, 09:23 PM
OK for me. :faint:

GP
10-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Your face is slow as hell :good:

(it's been fine for me)

Oh yeah...

Letters
10-08-2011, 09:32 PM
In the Admin CP we can see the 'Server Load' figures:

Server Load Averages 0.33 0.36 0.32 | 57 Users Online (12 members and 45 guests)

When we were having problems on the old (shared) server the figures were way higher, usually about 10 times higher. I think Jofnn said that the host said anything over 2 or 2.5 (which the values often were) would be a problem. I'm not quite sure what those figures actually mean but it's way below the values where I'd expect problems from what I've been told.

In brief :unsure:

Marc Overmars
11-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Hate to be a pain but it screwed up again last night. I had to restart my PC to finish installing some updates but when I rebooted it started directing me to the old server again, with the black page. :doh:

I did the ping test and it didn't show the IP that should have come up.

That's the 2nd time now it has come and gone.

Once again though, no issues at work.

LDG
11-08-2011, 08:35 AM
In the Admin CP we can see the 'Server Load' figures:

Server Load Averages 0.33 0.36 0.32 | 57 Users Online (12 members and 45 guests)

When we were having problems on the old (shared) server the figures were way higher, usually about 10 times higher. I think Jofnn said that the host said anything over 2 or 2.5 (which the values often were) would be a problem. I'm not quite sure what those figures actually mean but it's way below the values where I'd expect problems from what I've been told.

In brief :unsure:

We never had 570 users online (120 members and 450 guests) :sulk:

Letters
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
No, but we did have a shared server with loads of other sites on which meant overall the server was far busier.
We shouldn't have any problems now even when your marketing kicks in and we're over-run with new members.

LDG
11-08-2011, 08:48 AM
No, but we did have a shared server with loads of other sites on which meant overall the server was far busier.
We shouldn't have any problems now even when your marketing kicks in and we're over-run with new members.

:cool:

(yeah, must do something about that. Ok if I move house first, and sort my life out??)

Letters
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
No :angry:

I should give you all the leaflets and business cards really. Not sure if the 20th is a good idea as I have a sneaky feeling you may get a little tipsy that day and they'll probably get left on the train or something.

LDG
11-08-2011, 08:57 AM
No :angry:

I should give you all the leaflets and business cards really. Not sure if the 20th is a good idea as I have a sneaky feeling you may get a little tipsy that day and they'll probably get left on the train or something.

:o

How very dare you!

Özim
13-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Site has got worse recently, I'm finding it really slow.

Marc Overmars
13-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah it has got increasingly worse for me as well.

It takes about 5-6 seconds to open a link.

GP
13-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the site is awful these day.

Nice and quick though.

Niall_Quinn
13-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I told them not to let Wenger buy the server, but oh no, they knew better.

Master Splinter
13-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the site is awful these day.

Nice and quick though.

:haha:

Sirjackofwilshere
13-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Still think the old GW was better...simple, no glitches, homely

Letters
15-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah it has got increasingly worse for me as well.

It takes about 5-6 seconds to open a link.

There's a waiting period...

What browser you using, out of interest?

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Firefox.

The worst it got was right after the game on Saturday, I think a few others said they had trouble as well. Maybe the server can't handle the matchday traffic?

In general though I find it a bit sluggish, still useable but not as good as expected.

GP
15-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Firefox.

The worst it got was right after the game on Saturday, I think a few others said they had trouble as well. Maybe the server can't handle the matchday traffic?

In general though I find it a bit sluggish, still useable but not as good as expected.

I agree. It's not too bad at the moment, but it has been deathly slow.

Old forum was much faster.

Letters
15-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I've not had speed issues since we upgraded but I wasn't around on Saturday when the pant wetting will have begun.
Although we're on our own vitual server now the specs aren't that high. We can look at upgrading if it's still not coping.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I've not had speed issues since we upgraded but I wasn't around on Saturday when the pant wetting will have begun.
Although we're on our own vitual server now the specs aren't that high. We can look at upgrading if it's still not coping.

On Firefox in the last half an hour it has gone from not quick to load but ok to barely usable.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 08:50 PM
On Firefox and it is ok for me.

Hope I haven't jinxed it.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2011, 08:54 PM
It loads the page fine (for viewing), it has trouble recognising quick reply is supposed to be a function on here.

Letters
15-08-2011, 09:03 PM
On Firefox in the last half an hour it has gone from not quick to load but ok to barely usable.

I use Firefox at home. Seems OK :unsure:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I use Firefox at home. Seems OK :unsure:

Hmmm. I'm using Firefox on Windows 7. It could be a Windows 7 thing as it's much the same on IE.

GP
15-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Same for me at the moment. Was fine earlier.

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm on XP with Firefox and it's quite poor but my average Internet connection plays it's part. It's a bit better at work but there's still a noticeable delay for near enough every link I click on.

By the way the site directed me to the old server again just now, with the black page. Happened a few times now and I need to reboot my router to get back on here again.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I notice in the bottom left (Firefox shows the URL's) it sometimes struggles between Java, the Goonersweb domain and forumbuilder.co.uk. :blink:

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Firefox is fine for me. But the site still disappears some times.

What's accepted to be the fastest browser? Is it Chrome now?

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Firefox is fine for me. But the site still disappears some times.

What's accepted to be the fastest browser? Is it Chrome now?

Chrome by a mile. Firefox is the slowest, by a mile. IE is the Denilson of the browser world, statistically okay but what a pile of shit in reality.

Letters
15-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Firefox is loads quicker than older IE versions but newer versions of IE may be better.
Chrome is the best though.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Chrome by a mile. Firefox is the slowest, by a mile. IE is the Denilson of the browser world, statistically okay but what a pile of shit in reality.

Thanks.

Firefox seems fine to me, but I don't keep up with this sort of thing. IE is indeed quite awful.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks.

Firefox seems fine to me, but I don't keep up with this sort of thing. IE is indeed quite awful.

It's fine if you keep things simple, not too many tabs, no highly dynamic sites. But try that or leave it open for a while and it has a huge memory leak. Used to be a good browser and I didn't want to switch because of all the add-ons but Chrome is just too fast to persevere with anything else.

Chrome is about 850 times faster than Letter's web server he skimped on for GW.

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Downloading Chrome as we speak. This shit better be good.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 09:49 PM
GW is the only site that has been slow on Firefox.

New GW that is :threaten:.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Downloading Chrome as we speak. This shit better be good.

:gp:

NQ's rep is on the line.

:threaten:

Syn
15-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I use chrome. It's awesome.

And by awesome, i mean 'meh...it's alright'

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 09:52 PM
What do you mean by 'alright'?

Syn
15-08-2011, 09:53 PM
What do you mean by 'alright'?

Awesome.

GP
15-08-2011, 09:56 PM
safari is the best haha lol jk

But seriously, GW is slow as almighty fuck tonight. Bordering on unusable., regardless of browser.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Awesome.

What do you mean by 'awesome'?

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Ohh, Chrome, nice and sleek.

Everything appears to be quicker I guess but I'm not convinced, I'll use it for the week and see how GW runs.

Letters
16-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Chrome is about 850 times faster than Letter's web server he skimped on for GW.

If you want to bleedin' pay for it then upgrade it to your heart's content

<_<

LDG
16-08-2011, 08:56 AM
What do you mean by 'awesome'?

I think he means, "like LDG".

Master Splinter
16-08-2011, 09:06 AM
I think he means, "like Jeremy Kyle".

:gp:

Xhaka Can’t
16-08-2011, 09:54 AM
:haha:

LDG
16-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Jeremy Kyle is awesome tbf.

Jofnn
28-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Letters - have you checked the server load stats in the ACP when this has been on a "go slow"?

There is every chance that the spec we have is good for "normal" website consumption... But dependant on the traffic you're getting at the time of a match (especially when the almighty Liverpool are winning 0-2) it might not be able to cope! All I can suggest (initially) is monitoring those figures in the peak of a match and compare it to the number of users that you have active at the time...

We can always enquire about bumping it up to the next level on the server if it comes to it... But we'll need to check what the protocol is for that (i.e. is it another IP change resulting in a bit more of a switchover phase)...

Letters
28-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Letters - have you checked the server load stats in the ACP when this has been on a "go slow"?

Yes, they've always been fine. Tbh I've not had problems since we upgraded. It can be a bit slow loading sometimes but not like before and I've not had timeouts. It seems to have coped when we've been playing/in the aftermath of games which is when we're generally going to get a burst of activity.

EDIT: We'll keep an eye on it though and if we need to bump it up we'll look at doing that.