PDA

View Full Version : Wilshere and Carroll left out of England U21 squad

Olivier's xmas twist
23-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior internationals Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll have been left out of the England Under 21 squad for June's European Championship in Denmark.

The potential inclusion of the Arsenal midfielder and Liverpool striker has been the subject of widespread speculation over the past couple of weeks.

But manager Stuart Pearce appears to have bowed to pressure from clubs, who are concerned about burnout and the risk of long-term injury, by omitting Wilshere and Carroll.

Wilshere has instead been included in Fabio Capello's senior squad for next month's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland, however, Carroll has not been selected due to a fitness problem.

"Andy Carroll and Jack Wilshere will not be part of the Under 21 squad which travels to Denmark. Andy has been ruled out through injury," said Pearce in a statement on the FA's official website.

Disappointment
"I spoke to Jack last week and he explained that while he told me in March that he wanted to be part of the squad, he now feels he is not in the best condition to take part in the finals.

"That is based on the number of games he has played for Arsenal this season, sports science data which Jack was presented with last week and concerns he has for his fitness looking ahead to next season.

"Jack has always expressed his enjoyment at being involved with the U21 squad, and while I am disappointed not to have him with us for the finals I've accepted the situation."

Pearce added: "I am very conscious of the importance of looking after all our players, and that is why I have frequent conversations with club managers throughout the season.

"I believe that representing your country in international development tournaments can be a great advantage to players, and increases the chances of being successful at senior level."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12181_6947255,00.html

IBK
23-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Thank feck for that. Clearly Wilshere has said no.

Toronto Gooner
23-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Good news at last. Hopefully it will be just the first of many pieces of good news this summer.

fari
23-05-2011, 03:34 PM
thank god...let jack get some rest

Sirjackofwilshere
23-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Wenger :bow:

Pearce :pal:

Boss
23-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Wilshere probably said yes, think pressure from us must have made him decline.

As said, thank fuck. Don't need that mong Pearce fucking up our players for next year

cheesy bites
23-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Can only mean good things for England's senior squad then...

Oh and us.