PDA

View Full Version : Bitter, Indifferent or Happy by Cesc's Parting?

Arsenal Fan
14-08-2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/08/12/2615217/adios-cesc-fabregas-and-the-worlds-most-tedious-transfer (an already posted article) sums my opinion up fairly well.

want him to have a long time, frustrated on the bench at Barca, and if that makes him happy - i take back my bitterness.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm still catching up with this fuck up of a summer. I have pencilled in my official response to the Fabregas fiasco for the 21st Aug.

Özim
14-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm still catching up with this fuck up of a summer. I have pencilled in my official response to the Fabregas fiasco for the 21st Aug.
Yes you need to have a waiting period of course, it's customary.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-08-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/08/12/2615217/adios-cesc-fabregas-and-the-worlds-most-tedious-transfer (an already posted article) sums my opinion up fairly well.

want him to have a long time, frustrated on the bench at Barca, and if that makes him happy - i take back my bitterness.

Less bothered about him going then i was with Henry and Paddy v, at least with them you felt they loved the club when they left.

He's been a scum bag who should have not been a pussy and admitted he wanted out instead of getting his boyfriends to do it for him. Lost respect for him in the last 2 seasons.

Marc Overmars
14-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Indifferent.

The writing has been on the wall for over a year so it's not exactly breaking news tonight. I said my mental goodbyes a long time ago.

Good luck to him, I hope he succeeds.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes you need to have a waiting period of course, it's customary.

I may also go for an "in-between" attitude.

RomfordPele
14-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Don't blame him for leaving. The manager and board have shown no ambition for five years - why WOULD you stay if you were him?

What pisses me off is:

a.) the fee - for all the tough talk, it looks like we were bent over and roundly buggered by Barcelona.
b.) the timing - given we capitulated on the transfer fee, why didn't we capitulate in June? What did hanging around prove?
c.) the failure of any sort of proactive response from the management - everyone in the world knew he was off, why the hell haven't we got a replacement in?

I wish him all the best on the Barcelona bench. I'm sure he'll have a better time there than playing with the fuckwits he's been surrounded with for the past couple of years.

Darth Vela
14-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes. All three.

Glad it's over after the drawn out saga, disappointed to see him go but happy to see us (possibly) enter a new era.

Özim
14-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm indifferent, as someone said nothing like losing Vieira or Henry, the writing has been on the wall for a while, surprised he didn't leave last summer to be honest.

Bit sad about what's happening at the club though, really does seem like we're a sinking ship at the moment, would love to see a few players come in so we can get some hope back.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm indifferent, as someone said nothing like losing Vieira or Henry, the writing has been on the wall for a while, surprised he didn't leave last summer to be honest.

Bit sad about what's happening at the club though, really does seem like we're a sinking ship at the moment, would love to see a few players come in so we can get some hope back.

Are you forgetting Marvin Martin?

Ironing
14-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Pissed off it took this long and we STILL got a shit fee

WTF?

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Pissed off it took this long and we STILL got a shit fee

WTF?

Still £35mill, not to be sniffed at. Pays off a lot of stadium debt.

Özim
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Are you forgetting Marvin Martin?
Sorry my bad, the CL and PL double could well be heading our way at long last!

Özim
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Will also buy a few extra cigars for PHW.

KSE Comedy Club
14-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Bitter at the club for pointlessly making this last 2 months.

Happy that the cuntalonian has finally fucked off.

Angry that there doesnt seem to be any sign of us replacing him.

Ironing
14-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Well thank Allah for that. I wonder what value they placed on Cesc when they factored him in to the stadium plans? 60m?

Kano
14-08-2011, 11:40 PM
shame he's gone, you never want to lose your best players and such talent, and his absence has already been noticeable.

if he wasn't leaving at the time of big worry for a lot of arsenal fans, i think quite a few more would be forgiving.

now that he's left of course i wish him all the worst and hope he's the catalyst for barca falling to pieces.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Well thank Allah for that. I wonder what value they placed on Cesc when they factored him in to the stadium plans? 60m?

£40mill. I suppose Jack's in there at around £60mill because of the English price premium.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-08-2011, 11:45 PM
£40mill. I suppose Jack's in there at around £60mill because of the English price premium.

Good thing is if we have no more players will personal attachments, so we'd get a better fee next time.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Good thing is if we have no more players will personal attachments, so we'd get a better fee next time.

If the board could sell the fans they'd do it.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2011, 12:28 AM
He left 18 months ago mentally.His body has finally caught up with his head.Anyway fuck him. He's a cunt joining a city full of them.

Sirjackofwilshere
15-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Just sadness...that he left a club back in 2003 that hadn't won a trophy in years, that was in turmoil on and off the field....heading to a truly eite club, with some of the worlds best stars, seemingly set up to win trophy after trophy.....and it seems that now with him going back its the same scenario, only in reverse. Reallyy don't know what on earth is going on at Arsenal at the moment and I'm not liking where the cubs heading.

topgun
15-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes. All three.

Glad it's over after the drawn out saga, disappointed to see him go but happy to see us (possibly) enter a new era. No new era Im afraid,this is where we are at,we are are a selling club end of,this is where Wenger and the board have brought us so people might just as well get used to it:oldboy:

GunnerFan4Life
15-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm feeling pretty sad cause I've started supporting Arsenal around the time he was signed. We created one hell of a player but we never seem to capitalise on his talent by showing ambition, in terms of actually building a team to win trophies, players in the squad and just pure shitness therefore making him want to leave - and he's still in his prime.

I'm probably feeling more sad than the Henry saga as Henry was losing it, and I only watched him play at his best for 2 and a half seasons but I still loved him.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 03:25 AM
He's been a scum bag who should have not been a pussy and admitted he wanted out instead of getting his boyfriends to do it for him. Lost respect for him in the last 2 seasons.

Pretty much.

Thank fuck this pathetic melodrama is over.

fakeyank
15-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Don't blame him for leaving. The manager and board have shown no ambition for five years - why WOULD you stay if you were him?

What pisses me off is:

a.) the fee - for all the tough talk, it looks like we were bent over and roundly buggered by Barcelona.
b.) the timing - given we capitulated on the transfer fee, why didn't we capitulate in June? What did hanging around prove?
c.) the failure of any sort of proactive response from the management - everyone in the world knew he was off, why the hell haven't we got a replacement in?

I wish him all the best on the Barcelona bench. I'm sure he'll have a better time there than playing with the fuckwits he's been surrounded with for the past couple of years.

:gp:

Pretty much my thoughts. I cant fault him wanting to head out of Arsenal. Why would you want to be in a club where even the club's lesbian is dying to leave?

hobson's choice
15-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Heh, don't care, he's been gone for two seasons now, just wish he had the balls to say he wanted to leave when this all started, instead of trying to protect the golden boy image, and letting everyone else doing his dirty work for him.

Syn
15-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Don't blame him for going but I genuinely think he'd be a better player in England than in Spain. He has shown for spells in the season his quality - he has a lot of goals, power and two-footed tackling in him. He often pushes things to the limit with refs and gets away with it because he's Cesc Fabregas. Over there, he's just another good player. In the past couple of seasons, his main strength - technical ability and precision passes - have not been a feature of his play and I think he'll get a wake up call when he sees those Barca youngsters out-performing him in training.

I don't think we've been able to get the best out of Fabregas. He was not captain material at 22 and still isn't now, but that doesn't mean he can't fight or doesn't have the mentality to be a great player. What he needed was leadership from: 1) a strong manager that would be willing to make changes when things aren't working, 2) An experienced leader who had been at the club longer than Cesc had and was willing to scare the silly mistakes out of the youngsters.

But overall, we knew he was going at some point...not that bothered that he's going now. Even if it's wrong in the short term, we have a chance to correct just one of the many mistakes. We have let the Arsenal armband become meaningless. I would happily give the captaincy to Wilshere as he is genuinely the most deserving and he is definitely the one who'd give the most to earn it.

gunsofashburtongrove
15-08-2011, 07:40 AM
To start with I'am happy that its over. For me its simple - as long as he was an Arsenal player i would support him, now that he's left couldn't be bothered. He hasn't done enough to be branded a club legend. Very good player and all yes, but when push came to shove i think his position made it easier for Barca. There's a lot of press doing the rounds that he has received a bonus for not putting in a transfer request, not sure about the veracity of it but I'am inclined to think he has.

LDG
15-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't blame him for going but I genuinely think he'd be a better player in England than in Spain. He has shown for spells in the season his quality - he has a lot of goals, power and two-footed tackling in him. He often pushes things to the limit with refs and gets away with it because he's Cesc Fabregas. Over there, he's just another good player. In the past couple of seasons, his main strength - technical ability and precision passes - have not been a feature of his play and I think he'll get a wake up call when he sees those Barca youngsters out-performing him in training.

I don't think we've been able to get the best out of Fabregas. He was not captain material at 22 and still isn't now, but that doesn't mean he can't fight or doesn't have the mentality to be a great player. What he needed was leadership from: 1) a strong manager that would be willing to make changes when things aren't working, 2) An experienced leader who had been at the club longer than Cesc had and was willing to scare the silly mistakes out of the youngsters.

But overall, we knew he was going at some point...not that bothered that he's going now. Even if it's wrong in the short term, we have a chance to correct just one of the many mistakes. We have let the Arsenal armband become meaningless. I would happily give the captaincy to Wilshere as he is genuinely the most deserving and he is definitely the one who'd give the most to earn it.

Flavs
15-08-2011, 09:03 AM
sadness for me, awesome world class player and if anything is underated by many Arsenal fans. 8 years i think it is he has been here and IMO has got better and better despite getting more and more distracted.

I wont miss the annual bullshit fest from barca, and i think they should seriously look in a mirror and realise just how much they have tarnishd their previously wonderful aura in all of this. I wish him well at his new club however i still hope we ass fuck them like Peter North in the champs league.

Champagne Charlie
15-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Sadness for me as well. An incredible talent and a superb player to watch when he’s at his best. I guess I’d pretty much resigned myself to him leaving but it’s still a shame to see such a quality player leaving when he’s still got his best years ahead of him.

I also worry as to the damage the whole situation, and particularly the length it’s dragged on and the timing of the sale, could have on the team. I appreciate the whole ‘no players bigger than the team’ thing and that we’ve moved on the past when big players have left, but I can’t help get the feeling that in years to come us losing Fabregas will be seen as the beginning of the end for Arsene Wenger. He has built the team around Cesc and Cesc pretty much epitomised Wenger’s youth policy. For a player of such importance to the team to loose the faith in Wenger’s project and philosophy is a very poor indictment of where the club is heading.

If Arsene doesn’t get it right when filling the hole left by the sale of Fabregas then things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Grebbo
15-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Yep, I think a lot of people have forgotten how great a player he is. Don't forget the Arsenal team he was playing in was the most average Arsenal team for years and he was carrying us many times.

I think he was very good to the club. Never bitched but he wanted to go to Barca - you cannot blame him for that. He wants to win things and wont win them at Arsenal.

Vieira was trying to get a move pretty much every season he was with us and is now a fucking ambassador for Man City!! Yet he was regarded as a great Gooner and captain (rightly so but still).

The way this club is going I don't think we'll ever sign a midfielder as good as Cesc again. Not unless the Middle East goes pop.

Goodbye and good luck.

BOBN
15-08-2011, 10:33 AM
over the last 3-4 years ive always said the only thing I fear about the cesc situation is that he will go back to barcelona for less that hes worth, and if he could ensure that he didnt (through performances and/or behaviour) he would go with my blessing.

well he hasnt. through sulking all last season and playing shyt, to letting his shagpals do all the media dirtywork to putting himself in a situation where wenger decided not to play him in pre-season (if not flat out refusing to play). hes ensured that the club missed out on an extra £20m.

overall im embarrassed for wenger that he lost his mind and built a team around a midfielder who ultimately was not good enough or strong enough to perform that role. hopefully he now wakes up and creates a midfield capable of being a solid base first and foremost for a title winning side, just like every title winner have had for at least 20 years.

Ernesto
15-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I think, and I probably echo the views of many a Gooner on this, that I am happy that Fabregas has gone but angry at the club for not having found a suitable replacement in time. Angry at the club for grooming a youngster who was evidently going to join Barcelona. Angry at the club for builiding a team around a player who was never going to have that extra edge to succeed in the Premiership and become a title-winning captain. Angry at the club for agreeing a deal with the C*ntalans that they had wanted at the beginning of the summer, but we'd procrastinated over and in the end succumbed to.

I am angry this morning. I honestly couldn't give a sh!t as far as Fabregas is concerned. He's hardly a legend, and nor is he in the same ilk of lieable players who hadn't actually won anything with Arsenal but are still held in great esteem.

It's pretty safe to say that the next time he's at the Emirates, he'd be roundly booed.

Kano
15-08-2011, 10:38 AM
It's pretty safe to say that the next time he's at the Emirates, he'd be roundly booed.
which would be pretty pathetic, but there you go

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Wish the cunt had gone before he backhealed the ball to Iniesta.

Twat.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2011, 10:57 AM
It's pretty safe to say that the next time he's at the Emirates, he'd be roundly booed. And rightly so. The guy is arguably one if not the biggest cunts to play for us or not play for us if you take my meaning and it would show Arsenal fans in a bad light if we cheered him. It would show we accept our club being used like a cheap ass whore where we get fucked time and time again and never get what its worth.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Yep, I think a lot of people have forgotten how great a player he is. Don't forget the Arsenal team he was playing in was the most average Arsenal team for years and he was carrying us many times.

I think he was very good to the club. Never bitched but he wanted to go to Barca - you cannot blame him for that. He wants to win things and wont win them at Arsenal.

Vieira was trying to get a move pretty much every season he was with us and is now a fucking ambassador for Man City!! Yet he was regarded as a great Gooner and captain (rightly so but still).

The way this club is going I don't think we'll ever sign a midfielder as good as Cesc again. Not unless the Middle East goes pop.

Goodbye and good luck.

Yep just told all his boys to do it for him, while he looks the Victim, Like ACH said he a Cun't and a big one.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-08-2011, 11:04 AM
sadness for me, awesome world class player and if anything is underated by many Arsenal fans. 8 years i think it is he has been here and IMO has got better and better despite getting more and more distracted.

I wont miss the annual bullshit fest from barca, and i think they should seriously look in a mirror and realise just how much they have tarnishd their previously wonderful aura in all of this. I wish him well at his new club however i still hope we ass fuck them like Peter North in the champs league.

Don't worry it will be back in 7 years when they want Those 2 young spanards, Hector and the other lad back.

Grebbo
15-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Yep just told all his boys to do it for him, while he looks the Victim, Like ACH said he a Cun't and a big one.

Maybe. People need to remember he left his club at 16 so if he wasn't loyal to them he was never going to be loyal to us.

He could've also let his first Arsenal contract run down and leave for free but he didn't so at least we got £30m for him.

We will never sign a midfielder as good as him ever again.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2011, 11:30 AM
And rightly so. The guy is arguably one if not the biggest cunts to play for us or not play for us if you take my meaning and it would show Arsenal fans in a bad light if we cheered him. It would show we accept our club being used like a cheap ass whore where we get fucked time and time again and never get what its worth.

I know one thing, I'd rather have Fabregas GHEL'ing for us. It'll be horrible watching him do a job on us if Barca come calling again this season. I doubt we'll boo him though, far too many other targets in that cuntish team.

GP
15-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I know one thing, I'd rather have Fabregas GHEL'ing for us. It'll be horrible watching him do a job on us if Barca come calling again this season. I doubt we'll boo him though, far too many other targets in that cuntish team.

There's only so much he'd be able to do from the bench

Kano
15-08-2011, 11:39 AM
we keep comforting ourselves saying he'll be on the bench but he'll be in the starting eleven, without a shadow of doubt

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 11:42 AM
No one knows if Cesc told his pals to spout off the in the media. Jeez.

I agree he should have spoken himself about his desire to leave but I guess he felt he didn't want to upset anyone or say anything bad about the club, so kept a dignified silence out of respect. He made several statements on Arsenal.com throughout the saga to correct any media shit that emerged that made it look like he was disrespecting the club. It was quite cute in a way, he obviously didn't want to lose the rapport with the fans.

Booing him on a future return? Get the fuck out of here. Whilst it's not exactly the return of Henry or Bergkamp, he'd still get a polite applause from me.

GP
15-08-2011, 11:45 AM
What we have lost is a magnificent player. Honestly there's no one in the world in that position I'd have swapped him for. He clearly loved the club and gave everything he had.

He's a Barca scumbag now though, hope he breaks his legs.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Ain't gonna boo him, ain't gonna cheer him. I just hope never to see the likes of him in our shirt again, but that is too much of an ask.

Fist of Lehmann
15-08-2011, 11:48 AM
None of the above.

My main concern now is how we go about adapting to the loss of our creative fulcrum. But I don't want to go into that right now.

As far as Fabregas is concerned, I'll thank him for his service and wish him all the best.

It's onwards and upwards (or downwards) for Arsenal FC.

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I liked this snippet from Le Grove

I do sympathise with Wenger in a way. Only in the sense that he’s the rich geeky kid at school who announces a party on Facebook at his Dads mansion, that is well attended but as soon as the attendees have had drunk all the booze and eaten all the food they wreck the place and leave for the next bigger and better party.

When Wenger set up his master vision for project youth, he forgot a few things… Trophies and money. If you lure kids in on the promise of riches, don’t be surprised when they leave you for the same things. Don’t expect to command loyalty when disloyalty is the very first thing you encourage them to do.

BOBN
15-08-2011, 12:00 PM
He could've also let his first Arsenal contract run down and leave for free but he didn't so at least we got £30m for him.
is this the same first contract where he was on about £5.99 a week?

he signed to contract because he liked the terms. simple as that.

and lol @ leave for free. to where? he wouldnt have got a regular game at any big club before 2008.

The Realist
15-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Cesc conference on SSN now.

IBK
15-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Indifferent at him leaving. IMO, like AW, he has tarnished the reputation he built with Gooners over his first 6 years with his agitation to leave for the past 2 years - during which 2 year period he has played nowhere near his true potential.

Being 'professional' is never enough when your head is elsewhere - and Fabregas has looked every inch the Barca player for a year now - the nadir being the Barca 2nd leg last season.

Unmerited or not, Fabregas embodies everything that's wrong about AFC these days. A player loyal to the manager not the club; a brilliant technical player but not a leader; and a player that sees our club as a stepping stone not a destination.

I don't care whether players feel that they have to go elsewhere to acheive things, and the club is certainly not exonerated in this respect, but the bottom line is that I want to see players who are proud to play for my club, not players who feel they are too good for it.

The Realist
15-08-2011, 12:18 PM
The saddest thing is we sold him for less than what liverpool paid for Andy Carroll.

Syn
15-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't care whether players feel that they have to go elsewhere to acheive things, and the club is certainly not exonerated in this respect, but the bottom line is that I want to see players who are proud to play for my club, not players who feel they are too good for it.

Amen.

Arsenal Fan
15-08-2011, 12:29 PM
The saddest thing is we sold him for less than what liverpool paid for Andy Carroll.

Fist of Lehmann
15-08-2011, 12:32 PM
but the bottom line is that I want to see players who are proud to play for my club, not players who feel they are too good for it.
It strikes me that Fabregas is one of the least guilty in this regard.

But regardless of that, how do you instill pride in player?
A player feels pride in representing a club if that club represents something the player identifies with. History, core values, success or personal feeling (i.e. they support they club).

All four of things apply to Barcelona for Cesc (although it's more about perceived core values than actual values).

For us, we have history, though not as illustrious as the biggest clubs.

We have core values, though these are too nebulous to sell a player on.

We have success, but not recent enough to convince anyone we are a destination club.

And there are professional players who claim to be fans, though this is too small a pool to effectively recruit from. Instead we have bought young and hoped that faith would be repaid by loyalty.

Ernesto
15-08-2011, 01:06 PM
It strikes me that Fabregas is one of the least guilty in this regard.

But regardless of that, how do you instill pride in player?
A player feels pride in representing a club if that club represents something the player identifies with. History, core values, success or personal feeling (i.e. they support they club).

All four of things apply to Barcelona for Cesc (although it's more about perceived core values than actual values).

For us, we have history, though not as illustrious as the biggest clubs.

We have core values, though these are too nebulous to sell a player on.

We have success, but not recent enough to convince anyone we are a destination club.

And there are professional players who claim to be fans, though this is too small a pool to effectively recruit from. Instead we have bought young and hoped that faith would be repaid by loyalty.

You see, FoL, this is what I will continue to argue. We NEED players who want to play for Arsenal, who have been fans of Arsenal. If this equates to more Englishmen, then so be it. At least we won't see that formulaic bullsh!t we saw at Newcastle which was just a cut and paste of any limp performance last season.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. Ashley Cole hanging Arsenal out to dry despite being a "fan". Dennis Bergkamp with an unwavering loyalty to the club despite being dropped by Wenger countless times in the 2000/01 season.

However, there is an emotional attachment that keeps English players close to their clubs and, more importantly, stops other clubs (be they English or forign) from trying to poach these players.

The Realist
15-08-2011, 01:46 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/08/article-1241587-07CB7EA1000005DC-607_468x417.jpg

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/15/article-1313411422215-0D70BF3600000578-621872_636x417.jpg

Justhandguns
15-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Now I am really admiring TH14's professionalism when he left us.
And consider that he really did give his best to Arsenal not just by
saying it, but by carrying the team to so many glories.

While looking at Cesc now, he is just disappointing. Like many other has said,
why couldn't we squeeze more money out from his sale. This is pathetic.

bignev
15-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I bear Fabregas no ill will. It was ultimately Arsenal that let Fabregas down rather than Fabregas letting Arsenal down.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Bullshit.

fakeyank
15-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I bear Fabregas no ill will. It was ultimately Arsenal that let Fabregas down rather than Fabregas letting Arsenal down.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Bullshit.

Letters
15-08-2011, 03:12 PM
The level of debate on here is definitely getting better.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Bullshit.

LDG
15-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Lol.

StamfordBrdige
15-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Really don't get the Cesc hating on here.

If you guys were proper competing for and winning stuff it'd make it easier for Cesc & other players to stay. The fact that your manager prefers to spend big on kids and not experienced players makes it easier for players to think "fuck this, i'm off". The fans are frustrated like mad so it's reasonable to assume some of the players will be as or even more frustrated.

A few of your ex-players have been saying that you need to add some proper quality to the squad and it is this lack of quality that has resulted in players wanting to go elsewhere.The team's outlook comes from the manager and your manager has shown a stunning lack of ambition which over the years has resulted in your club taking steady steps backwards. In such a scenario, it's only a matter of time before the quality players in the squad think what the hell am i doing here when i could be elsewhere winning stuff.

fakeyank
15-08-2011, 03:25 PM

If you guys were proper competing for and winning stuff it'd make it easier for Cesc & other players to stay. The fact that your manager prefers to spend big on kids and not experienced players makes it easier for players to think "fuck this, i'm off". The fans are frustrated like mad so it's reasonable to assume some of the players will be as or even more frustrated.

A few of your ex-players have been saying that you need to add some proper quality to the squad and it is this lack of quality that has resulted in players wanting to go elsewhere.The team's outlook comes from the manager and your manager has shown a stunning lack of ambition which over the years has resulted in your club taking steady steps backwards. In such a scenario, it's only a matter of time before the quality players in the squad think what the hell am i doing here when i could be elsewhere winning stuff.

We did add the likes of Chamakh, Squillaci and Carl Jenkinson you know. And also the imminent signing of Marvin Martin will only underline our ambition to be the premier side in world football!

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 03:27 PM
My problem is not Cesc wanting to go to the Club of his dreams. My problem with him is how he and his bumchums engineered the move.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2011, 03:31 PM
We did add the likes of Chamakh, Squillaci and Carl Jenkinson you know. And also the imminent signing of Marvin Martin will only underline our ambition to be the premier side in world football!

Jenkinson's a good player, at least when compared to what else we have in defence. Old school, direct, hard, no fuss, exactly what we need. If Sagna doesn't improve 100% he should be dropped in favour of this guy.

GP
15-08-2011, 03:53 PM

That is indeed sad.

For Liverpool.

Boss
15-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Pretty much.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I think even if we'd won more trophies in his time at the club, he'd have still wanted to leave.....he wasn't leaving for more money or leaving because of our lack of ambition (although no-one could fault him doing that), he left because Barca is his club, and he wants to be part of a side that is at the peak of world football and I defy anyone in his position not to desire that. He is a Catalan who is returning home, and his comments about the Arsenal manager and the club and it's supporters I believe were genuine and heartfelt. So I bare him no ill will at all, and anyone who believed he would have stayed with us for life were only deluding themselves.....not because we are not big enough, but because we are not Barcelona and it was always his desire I suspect even from the time he joined us to return there one day.

bignev
15-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I think even if we'd won more trophies in his time at the club, he'd have still wanted to leave.....he wasn't leaving for more money or leaving because of our lack of ambition (although no-one could fault him doing that), he left because Barca is his club, and he wants to be part of a side that is at the peak of world football and I defy anyone in his position not to desire that. He is a Catalan who is returning home, and his comments about the Arsenal manager and the club and it's supporters I believe were genuine and heartfelt. So I bare him no ill will at all, and anyone who believed he would have stayed with us for life were only deluding themselves.....not because we are not big enough, but because we are not Barcelona and it was always his desire I suspect even from the time he joined us to return there one day.

He was always going to leave. However I think if we had been a bit more competitive he would have stayed at least another couple of years. Let's face it he won't walk into the Barcelona side, he probably would have waited until Xavi was a little bit older before moving.

As it happens we didn't learn from Henry leaving i.e. he was by far the best player in the team and we weren't trying hard to improve so he left. Same with Fabregas. Next year it will probably be RVP unless we sort ourselves out. I'm not going to hold my breath though.........

gunnerrrrr
15-08-2011, 05:43 PM
you can see my comments on Cesc thorughout in the Cesc thread, however i must admit his comments today were exceptional and he leaves with his head held up high.

wenger never gave the guy the best players to take advantage of his talent

Grebbo
15-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm surprised he stayed as long as he did.

Last summer's business of Chamakh, Squilacci and Koscielny plus Almunia not being replaced would have been the final straw.

We should have built a team around him but we didn't.

Darth Vela
15-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Tbf, Koscielny is a rather good defender and Chamakh was fantastic for 4 months, didn't work out for him after that but it wasn't a bad summer, certainly not as bad as some seem to think.

Master Splinter
15-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Tbf, Koscielny is a rather good defender and Chamakh was fantastic for 4 months, didn't work out for him after that but it wasn't a bad summer, certainly not as bad as some seem to think.

You won't last long around here.

Grebbo
15-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Tbf, Koscielny is a rather good defender

Compared with the rest of our defenders - yes.

Compared to all centre backs in the top four teams - no, not by a long way.

GP
15-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Absolutely right.

Squillaci was the only poor one really. He's got a ton of top level experience, he just struggled in this league.

Darth Vela
15-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Compared with the rest of our defenders - yes.

Compared to all centre backs in the top four teams - no, not by a long way.#

Ok, he's better than Luiz and Ivanovic at Chelsea.

He's definitely better than Smalling and Evans at Man U, and I'd argue he's better than Jones who's too young and Ferdinand, who's too old.

He's better than everyone except Kompany at Citeh.

He's better than everyone at Liverpool and Spurs if we want to go that far down.

He's better than Djourou and Squillaci but not Vermalen imo, complement each other nicely though.

Kano
15-08-2011, 06:02 PM
he's a good defender who will improve but i can't agree with all those comparisons.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Agger, Carragher, Richards, Kompany, Dawson, Gallas, Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Ivanovic, Luiz, Alex....all better than Koscielny.

Darth Vela
15-08-2011, 06:07 PM
:shrug:

I guess it's pretty subjective but I only see 5 or 6 guys better than him.

GP
Dawson :lol:

Carragher??? :lol:

Grebbo
#

He's definitely better than Smalling and Evans at Man U, and I'd argue he's better than Jones who's too young and Ferdinand, who's too old.

He's better than everyone at Liverpool and Spurs if we want to go that far down.

He's better than Djourou and Squillaci but not Vermalen imo, complement each other nicely though.

Wow! I'm sorry but you're as deluded as Wenger.

Darth Vela
15-08-2011, 06:09 PM
C'mon, I'm not THAT bad.

Power n Glory
15-08-2011, 06:18 PM
you can see my comments on Cesc thorughout in the Cesc thread, however i must admit his comments today were exceptional and he leaves with his head held up high.

wenger never gave the guy the best players to take advantage of his talent

Wenger is an idiot. For years he wasted valuable time playing Cesc with odd pairings. The type of tactical decisions no other top class manager would make.

In a 4-4-2, he plays Cesc alongside Gilberto, while Eboue and Diaby are getting games on the flanks.

He should have switched to a 4-3-3 years ago with Flamini, Rosicky/Hleb and Cesc in the middle. I knew as soon as we'd switch to that formation that Cesc would be able to make unmarked runs into the box and start banging in more goals. It works for Lampard and Cesc is better than Lampard. Even when he decided to switch to a 4-3-3 he had Cesc playing with Denilson and Song behind him instead of adopting a more aggressive style with Nasri and Cesc playing in the middle and Song holding.

Nasri was a different player when France played a 4-3-3 with him and Gourcuff controlling the middle. Our 4-3-3 is easy to break down because it's dependent on one player conducting the play, but in other teams they always have two creative players in the middle that can protect the ball and create. One sits deeper while the other roams forward and supports the top three players. Or they take it in turns to drop back and go forward. Denilson was no good sitting deep or playing further forward and was often lost in traffic. We wasted a couple of seasons messing around with that guy and it was plain to see that he wasn't right for what we were trying to do.

We never had that system going and we were close with Wilshere coming into the picture, but still Wenger insisted on playing Wilshere in the deeper role over Cesc which made no sense to me. Wilshere is way more agile and quick to turn and run on the ball while while Cesc can spot a run from the half way line and put the ball on a plate for you.

I just can't understand Wenger. For too many seasons he's played square pegs in round holes and that's another thing that really pisses me off about him and why he has to go. He hasn't made do with what he's been given. It's not just Cesc, it goes all the way back to Reyes, Hleb, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Bendy, Eboue, Diaby, Vela, Eduardo...he's spent seasons playing them in the wrong position and it has taken it's toll.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Absolutely right.

Squillaci was the only poor one really. He's got a ton of top level experience, he just struggled in this league.

Hmmm...I think Chamakh is a truly awful signing, but we did get him on a free, so Wenger ought to be given a pass on that one.

I think, Koscielny is a very good signing, he has bags of promise, some of which we saw in flashes last season. I'd love to see him have a season long injury free partnership with Vermalaen.

I got nothing to say about Squillaci.

StamfordBrdige
15-08-2011, 06:24 PM
#

:haha::haha::haha:

My goodness AW has really fucked with some of you. Koscielny is nowhere as good as All Bran & Ferdinand. Luiz is a bit too quick in the tackle sometimes (as witnessed against ManUtd last season) but he is still a much better CB than Koscielny.

Fact is none if your CB would start for Chelsea & ManUtd which is where your problems begin (build from the back and all that). The only positive thing about your defence is Scxujsdkoeofle. If he keeps going on as he has been he'll be a fucking world class GK no question.

fakeyank
15-08-2011, 06:25 PM
It's not just Cesc, it goes all the way back to Reyes, Hleb, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Bendy, Eboue, Diaby, Vela, Eduardo...he's spent seasons playing them in the wrong position and it has taken it's toll.

Two people who really stand out for me there is Eduardo and Bendtner. They were both fantastic in a 4-4-2. They are strikers yet time and again, you saw them pushed out to the flanks where they were not only a waste of space- they were a liability! I rate Bendy very highly and think in a 4-4-2 with RVP, he will score 15-20 goals easy every season.

Cripps_orig
15-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Kozza was shocking. Chamakh was fine for half the season. Looked quality in that half then hardly played. Toto was bad but not as bad as Kozza

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-08-2011, 06:29 PM
no offence but why are you here?.....you must have a lot of free time on your hands to post messages to a forum of a team you don't support. I'm not saying you shouldn't be here because as far as i am aware it's open debate, free to all.......but can't really see what your getting out of it. I don't think your here to cause trouble, because I didn't disagree with what you said in your post but no offence I wouldn't spend my time on a chelsea message board because your club don't interest me that much, and i'm surprised our club interests you!.

StamfordBrdige
15-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Two people who really stand out for me there is Eduardo and Bendtner. They were both fantastic in a 4-4-2. They are strikers yet time and again, you saw them pushed out to the flanks where they were not only a waste of space- they were a liability! I rate Bendy very highly and think in a 4-4-2 with RVP, he will score 15-20 goals easy every season.

One of the biggest mysteries in football at the moment is why AW plays Bendtner on the wings. Nothing about his game suggests he could be a winger. He is your standard issue CF and for some reason AW sticks him out wide.

While i don't rate Bendtner highly (certainly not as high as he rates himself) i do think a fair assessment of him cannot be made till he's played consistently in his proper position for a decent length of time.

Power n Glory
15-08-2011, 06:33 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

My goodness AW has really fucked with some of you. Koscielny is nowhere as good as All Bran & Ferdinand. Luiz is a bit too quick in the tackle sometimes (as witnessed against ManUtd last season) but he is still a much better CB than Koscielny.

Fact is none if your CB would start for Chelsea & ManUtd which is where your problems begin (build from the back and all that). The only positive thing about your defence is Scxujsdkoeofle. If he keeps going on as he has been he'll be a fucking world class GK no question.

Please ignore this guy. He thinks Chamakh and Denilson are good players.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 06:35 PM
no offence but why are you here?.....you must have a lot of free time on your hands to post messages to a forum of a team you don't support. I'm not saying you shouldn't be here because as far as i am aware it's open debate, free to all.......but can't really see what your getting out of it. I don't think your here to cause trouble, because I didn't disagree with what you said in your post but no offence I wouldn't spend my time on a chelsea message board because your club don't interest me that much, and i'm surprised our club interests you!.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm glad he's here because he brings a different perspective and is a genuine football fan.

StamfordBrdige
15-08-2011, 06:36 PM

I do post on a Chelsea forum but i quite like GW. It's actually a pretty decent forum so here i am.

The chelsea forums can be a bit annoying cos we support the same team and lots of people are in serious knee-jerk mode. Some have already started dissing AVB (he's only had 1 game FFS, 1 Fucking game) and other such crap. Too frustrating cos people can't be objective. Ironically i find it easier to discuss other teams with other fans cos mostly people can be a bit more objective (once you get past the wummery)

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 06:38 PM
One of the biggest mysteries in football at the moment is why AW plays Bendtner on the wings. Nothing about his game suggests he could be a winger. He is your standard issue CF and for some reason AW sticks him out wide.

While i don't rate Bendtner highly (certainly not as high as he rates himself) i do think a fair assessment of him cannot be made till he's played consistently in his proper position for a decent length of time.

It's this damn 4-3-3, we don't really have the players for it. Square pegs and round holes etc..

Power n Glory
15-08-2011, 06:38 PM

It's baffling stuff. Tactically, Wenger can't be that stupid, so I put it down to him trying to keep Bendy happy and getting him games at the expense of the team. Whatever the reasons, it's not justified.

Darth Vela
15-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Please ignore this guy. He thinks Chamakh and Denilson are good players.

That's true, I am border-line insane. :d

SB, I'll admit I think it's close between Kos and Ivanovic, I reckon Ivanovic is stronger and better in the air but Koscielny gets it for his anticipation, I'll also admit I probably shouldn't judge Luiz as I've only seen him play a few times. I don't think Rio has been at the top of his game for a while now, as I said, that's pretty debatable.

Boss
15-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Koscielny could be a decent player but he's still learning the game.

The problem is rather than learn it in some garbage lower league / smaller club Wenger lets him develop in our first team which is to the expense of our trophy fight. Case in point is the CC final.

Same thing with Fabregas, Diaby, Denilson, Eboue, Flamini, Song, Bendtner, Walcott, Chezza, Fabianski, Clichy etc etc.

He's a good player to have and I think he will become a decent defender but there's no way he should be first choice.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Shit, I just got here in time by the look of it. Chamakh is the worst striker (striker, LMAO) to ever play (play, LMAO) in the PL, an absolute piece of shit player with no redeeming qualities and not worth the fee we paid. We were fucking robbed on that deal. I like Kos, he tries, you can tell he cares and he wants to do well, and he has to play an absolute blinder just to be average. If that's what we want here then fine, Kos will do. Squallaci is just another Silvestre.

Xhaka Can’t
15-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Just saw Fabregas's press conference.

Good luck to him personally, but I hope the rest of the Barca team get aids.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-08-2011, 07:48 PM
glad he's gone so we can get on with spending some money and not hearing him constantly being linked to barca.

sad he's gone as effectively it means wengers youth project has officially failed.

anxious as to whether we'll replace him and spend the money.

Marc Overmars
15-08-2011, 07:53 PM
JohanDjourou Johan Djourou
Well my friend, i wish you all the best. I know you since we were 15 and i can say what a great player you become and a great friend as well

I wish you the world my friend, going to miss you FAB 4

Fag

Kano
15-08-2011, 07:58 PM
that felt like an honest press conference, seemed to be answering quite honestly. interesting to hear that he was prevented from speaking for two and half months, which would mean the noises coming from barca were not meant to engineer anything, as he was pretty much a dead cert to go there. xavi and co were just being the obnoxious wankers they were born to be.

Injury Time
15-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Tbh never loved him as much as some on here, maybe I just had bad luck of seeing too many of his siesta matches, anyway thank fuck this is over, the money is irrelevant as it won't be used for any benefit on field* I just hope those that are left step the fuck up.

*hopes to be proved wrong.

selassie
15-08-2011, 08:06 PM
He did his time. I've nothing against him tbh, wish him well at Barca.

Coney
15-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Great player. Nothing against the guy, lots against Barca who behaved like cunts. The thread title does not cover what I think. I am not bitter, indifferent or happy. I am disappointed that we are losing a great player. However, what will piss me off is if we do not use the money in the next couple of weeks to buy some serious player(s). If we don't and then go on to have another season of cop-out games where we throw things away, then I will join those calling for a big change at the top. If Wenger and Gazidis, after what they said at the end of last season, proceed to repeat what they did in the last few seasons, then it is clear that they are never going to change course, and that is something we simply have to do.

Letters
15-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Tbh never loved him as much as some on here, maybe I just had bad luck of seeing too many of his siesta matches, anyway thank fuck this is over, the money is irrelevant as it won't be used for any benefit on field* I just hope those that are left step the fuck up.

*hopes to be proved wrong.

You know the worst thing about this...I'm going to have to retire the 'orange' shirt... :(

LDG
16-08-2011, 08:43 AM
You know the worst thing about this...I'm going to have to retire the 'orange' shirt... :(

:scarf:

Have we won anything since you've had it??

Letters
16-08-2011, 08:44 AM
We haven't won anything since GW was created...

:(

Flavs
16-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Fag

told you he looks like a gay lion

LDG
16-08-2011, 08:45 AM
We haven't won anything since GW was created...

:(
They're dying R2.

Shut them all down!!

Injury Time
16-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I can't believe Cesc didn't give it a mention in his press conference tbh....

...as the reason he left, probably why he only banged on about Wenger and not the fans <_<