PDA

View Full Version : As it stands...

Flavs
17-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok taking everything into account and the improvements in the Liverpool team and management. Where do you think we will finish this season?

I think we will mostly agree Manyoo, Citeh and Chelsea will finish above us but what about Liverpool and the soon to be "Adebayored" Spurs?

Joker
17-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I think we'll most likely finish 5th, although if we don't even attempt to strengthen the squad in the remainder of the window there's a real danger of 6th IMO.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-08-2011, 11:30 AM
5th

Xhaka Can’t
17-08-2011, 11:32 AM
As it stands?

I reckon EVERY team in the EPL should fancy their chances against us, and if they play accordingly, we are looking at upper mid-table.

Grebbo
17-08-2011, 11:36 AM
5th/6th

Marc Overmars
17-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I still think we're more than good enough to maintain the level we've been at for the last 5 years, so I reckon we'll finish 4th at best.

I do acknowledge though that it's probably not something we can take for granted anymore.

Champagne Charlie
17-08-2011, 11:40 AM
If we don't bring in some quality players before the transfer window closes then I seriously think we'd struggle to finish in the top six/seven.

Our first 11 at the moment is probably good enough to beat most teams, but as we're seeing already as soon as any injuries or suspensions kick in we're in serious trouble.

And as GB says, every single team in the league will fancy getting at least a point off us at the moment.

AKBapologist
17-08-2011, 11:41 AM
With the squad as it is, mid table, less depending on the severity of injuries.

selassie
17-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Just about 4th if we don't make any PROPER signings. Though like MO said 4th is no longer a guarantee when you look at the current squad so I wouldn't be overly surprised if we finished outside Top 4.

Özim
17-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Based on our current squad and the 1st two games 5th.

We just looked such an ordinary side last night, even taking into considering a few missing players. There was no spark, no real quality, it reminded me of when we use to play kids in the carling cup and they weren't good enough to opposition and lacked any real understanding.

Cripps_orig
17-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I'll be optimistic and say top 6 at best. However if Everton and Aston Villa actually have a good season and not just half a season then I can see us in 8th.Basically any position from 4th-8th

Shaqiri Is Boss
17-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I think we can reach 4th but I don't think we'll be getting any higher than that. I'm sure we'll say we're fighting for that title.

Obviously your position in the top 4 is most vulnerable and a lot will depend on how you replace the outgoing players and build on your squad. Shaky ground for you.

Our main advantage is that we can focus solely on the league, without the need for midweek travelling. A lot will depend on how our team is assembled and how quickly they gel but barring injuries I think we have a pretty decent squad (obviously there is some dross that needs to be shipped out) that has some versatility and for the first time in ages, different attacking options. Of course, for the tabloids, if Henderson hasn't played 50 games and Carroll hasn't scored 30 goals then they will be deemed failures but that's to be expected.

Only going for 4th can be a double edged sword though because 5th is something nobody really wants either.

gunsofashburtongrove
17-08-2011, 12:11 PM
4th

Unai Tea
17-08-2011, 12:15 PM
5th or 6th most likely although 4th is still a possibility.

Xhaka Can’t
17-08-2011, 12:21 PM
One positive is, the predicatability of the pattern our season follows is gone.

You know, the one with the great start, likely title contenders, only for it to fall apart in January/February when a minor adjustent to the team that never gets made may have been the catalyst for pushing us on to the title.

That predictability is gone - to the extent that we may get an opportunity to really cash in on Van Persie in January if he stays fit.

Unai Tea
17-08-2011, 12:48 PM
That predictability is gone - to the extent that we may get an opportunity to really cash in on Van Persie in January if he stays fit.

I think it's predictable that Van Persie will be injured and therefore not able to be sold. He'll therefore run down his contract and leave on a free, potentially after discovering a catalonian interloper somewhere in his ancestry and consequent Barca DNA.

Alan B'stard
17-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Ok taking everything into account and the improvements in the Liverpool team and management. Where do you think we will finish this season?

I think we will mostly agree Manyoo, Citeh and Chelsea will finish above us but what about Liverpool and the soon to be "Adebayored" Spurs?

6th. wenger will have walked.