PDA

View Full Version : Theo's central role

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I wanted to know what people thought of theo getting the chance he wants up front this season. personally i think he is shite on the wings and runs into dead ends most of the time but in front of goal he is pretty clinical. I would really welcome him getting the chance and playing 2 up top again. Think he would score a good 20 goals a season if he played up front. With rvp almost certain to get injured soon maybe its time for him to get the role rather than the non existent chamakh and the super quality of bentdner.

I doubt we will buy another forward now so is it time for a new GHEL scoring sensation?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/walcott-goals-could-earn-me-central-role

Marc Overmars
18-08-2011, 08:48 AM
The majority of his goals come from darting through the middle so I think we should making the most of that now.

Grebbo
18-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Desperate times, desperate measures and all that.

Wenger's not going to sign a striker so I guess we've got no choice.

LDG
18-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Made some cracking runs through the middle the other night, and we're crying out for that kind of movement, rather than the static front men.

RVP has his worth up top, but I think Theo playing off him would work wonders.

I still think he'll be played predominently on the wing, purely because I don't think we can switch to 4-4-2 in this league (much as I'd love to see it again).

We need Theo to cover the fullback, which he did extremely well the other night. But when we have possession centrally, he should be making runs in. He;s always done this, but Cesc / Nasri et al, didn't like that ball. His runs were often overlooked.

However, I think Ramsey and Wilshire, and Arshavin / RVP will spot this movement. It's up to him to keep doing it....he's not shy little Theo anymore...or at least he shouldn't be.

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 08:58 AM
yep, would love to go back to 442 as well! his runs are intelligent but wasted on the wings imo. he has grown up very well the lil blessage lol

Özim
18-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Not convinced about him as a striker and would rather we signed an out and out forward who is about goals, he'll score a few through the middle no doubt but his finishing is unpredictable to say the least.

LDG
18-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Not convinced about him as a striker and would rather we signed an out and out forward who is about goals, he'll score a few through the middle no doubt but his finishing is unpredictable to say the least.

I think his finishing is pretty clinical through the middle. He was very unlucky with that second chance the other day....hit is perfect, but the keep made a blinding save.

He's very dangerous in the box IMO.

He ain't dangerous on the wings....unless he finally decides to man up and push the ball past the defender....which I've never understood why he doesn't. JUST GO FUCKING PAST HIM YOU SPEEDY LITTLE CUNT!!!

Syn
18-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I'd play him upfront but that means we've got arshavin and gervinho on the wings which appears quite weak whereas rvp up top is the best we've got. Even if we were to play 442, arshavin would not offer the defensive support theo does.

Boss
18-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Best in the position he's currently in as his runs and finishing are top notch, but his close control and strength are pretty poor.

Play him as we played Ljungberg, imo.

Özim
18-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I think his finishing is pretty clinical through the middle. He was very unlucky with that second chance the other day....hit is perfect, but the keep made a blinding save.

He's very dangerous in the box IMO.

He ain't dangerous on the wings....unless he finally decides to man up and push the ball past the defender....which I've never understood why he doesn't. JUST GO FUCKING PAST HIM YOU SPEEDY LITTLE CUNT!!!
We'll have to disagree on this, he'll hit the odd one well but will also completely fluff quite a few.

His speed will always mean he'll get chances if the right ball is played, but in key games where taking your chances matters I wouldn't put money on him to take his chances.

GP
18-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Best in the position he's currently in as his runs and finishing are top notch, but his close control and strength are pretty poor.

Play him as we played Ljungberg, imo.

We'd need Bergkamp for that, tbh

Ironing
18-08-2011, 09:21 AM
He'll stay on the wings

AKBapologist
18-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Not sure what needs to change. Our style of play allows him to temporary play where ever he wants across the front 3. Not good enough to play as lone striker as he doesn't have Hernandez of Owens aerial abitity.

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 09:39 AM
rvp drops off a fair bit from his lone striker role so if we were to revert to 442 then he would fill the bergkamp role with theo being the legend henry. arsh and gerv to be the equviliants of freddie and pires. So if that worked with pires hardly tracking back, which would be the same as arshavin now, whats to say it couldnt work again. if only things were this simple though!

LDG
18-08-2011, 09:41 AM
rvp drops off a fair bit from his lone striker role so if we were to revert to 442 then he would fill the bergkamp role with theo being the legend henry. arsh and gerv to be the equviliants of freddie and pires. So if that worked with pires hardly tracking back, which would be the same as arshavin now, whats to say it couldnt work again. if only things were this simple though!

Only downside to your logic, is simply that other teams have gotten better....and Cole was a better defender than Gibbs/ Clichy, who could hold his own when Pires was trotting.

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 09:45 AM
fair dues to that. considering we have no LB worthy of playing for the club at the minute! no way would arsh play on the left though, cos of that reason. tbh i dont know what gervinho is like tracking back and grafting yet to hav an opinion of him.

i just feel in the 433 at the mo, we have been worked out by all. and now cant even beat the smaller teams!

LDG
18-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I think Theo, and from what I've seen of Gervinho, are not afraid to work back.

I'd love to see Arshy through the middle in the Cesc role, with Ramsay/Wilshire and Song behind them. Theo one wing, Gervinho the other.

We are now rid of the main culprits for sideways passing and slow build up. Denilson, Cesc and Nasri.

Time to switch on the after burners and kick some asssssss!! :dance:

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 09:52 AM
am with you on that if we stick to 433, posted a thread about the meerkat a week or so ago, regarding the cesc role. would be much better than rosicky there imo. is wenger not a member on this board? lol

and yes, fast pace once again, blitz opponents and being 3 nil up afer 20 mins! ah, those were the days

milla
18-08-2011, 10:26 AM
and yes, fast pace once again, blitz opponents and being 3 nil up afer 20 mins! ah, those were the days

Oh man, those were the good days. :coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
18-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I would like to see what Ramsey and Wilshere can do together......if Ramsey can get a run of games I think we may see the emergence of an unpolished gem, Wilshere to provide the directness and Ramsey the weighted passes.

I have started to worry a tadge about Song, as much as I hate Barton (yes, I did say that) I think his stamp was unneeded and put us in a worse position with regards to available personnel.

Walcott would be effective playing with RvP IMO opinion but I do also think Arshavin could be more damaging playing behind RvP......a lot depends on the formation - 2 up front then RvP/Walcott - 5 in the middle then what LDG said or could Ramsey play in Songs role? with Arshavin a little more forward or are we leaving ourselves too soft in the middle? - I do like Song but I would not be against a more mobile defensive CM TBH

Japan Shaking All Over
18-08-2011, 10:29 AM
am with you on that if we stick to 433, posted a thread about the meerkat a week or so ago, regarding the cesc role. would be much better than rosicky there imo. is wenger not a member on this board? lol

that works as long as the opposition do not have Tiote playing for them.......still cant get that game out my head! the Spuds games werent much better either

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 10:36 AM
dont worry bruv, only gotta play the toon once more! and am pretty sure theres only one tiote!

tbh i am not looking forward to the spuds games at all.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I say play him there he looked good when he played there against spurs away last season and he seems to frighten defenders, Time for theo to become a Striker now the one we know he can be.

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 10:43 AM
yep, he no longer requires nappies and i do like the fact he is "just saying". he seems very determined now and not a deer stuck in the headlights anymore

dazthegooner
18-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Well he was actually signed to eventually be a striker in the mould of Henry (think even he's mentioned it before) but for some reason why Wenger will not commit to it and this could be why Van-Persie keeps on getting injured it because being the lone striker.

Ironing
18-08-2011, 11:15 AM
The 'for some reason' is because he causes the opposition so many problems on the wing in a way that not many others can. His speed would be less effectual centrally than on the wings

server too busy!
18-08-2011, 11:17 AM
But now we have Miyachi and AOC that can provide what he did on the wing and him moved more centrally.

Cripps_orig
18-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Hes a striker and always been one so he should play there.

Means we have f all on the right wing though

Ironing
18-08-2011, 11:22 AM
But now we have Miyachi and AOC that can provide what he did on the wing and him moved more centrally.

Maybe, it's yet to be seen how effective they will be. Gervinho is also good at running at players, moving forward down the flanks

Kano
18-08-2011, 11:49 AM
i think if he doesn't get his chance this season, he'll go elsewhere

dazthegooner
18-08-2011, 11:51 AM
i think if he doesn't get his chance this season, he'll go elsewhere

Well after this season he'll only have one year left..

Kano
18-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Well after this season he'll only have one year left..

exactly, perfect timing

Coney
18-08-2011, 12:53 PM
On the wing he can't always decide what to do - cross or shoot - and ends up with a half-assed kick which is neither. When he comes into the centre, the decision is pretty well taken away, and he gets on with what he seems good at - attacking the goal at speed. I'd love to see him just off RvP with a 4-4-1-1. Just need to have midfielders like Cesc Nasri somebody to feed the front pair.

Grebbo
18-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Play him as a striker.
He will excel.
Come summer he'll have one year left on his deal.
He will be sold.

Repeat with Oxo.

I_Killed_Kenny
18-08-2011, 01:11 PM
lol its funny cos its true!

Japan Shaking All Over
18-08-2011, 02:22 PM
:bow: Southampton.........feeder club to less than semi ambitious PL team......

wonder if they have a spare CB lying around?:coffee:

fakeyank
18-08-2011, 06:40 PM
4-4-2 works best IMO...

-------------SFSghergw-------------

Sagna------Song----Kos/new CB-----Vermaelen

Arshavin/Rosicky/OAC/Miyachi------JW----Ramsey/Parker/Marvin Martin---Gervinho

------------------RVP-----------------------

--------------Walcott-------------------

That'd be a killer attack. Only part that scares me is Arshavin tracking back but FFS why should we worry about that when we play the bottom feeder clubs and our home games. This SHOULD be our formation in most games in the PL except the away games against City, Utd, Chelsea etc..
When times arent right, you gotta go back to basics.. thats what we did good and thats what will bring the beautiful football back.. sick of watching tippy tappy for the last couple of seasons!

Power n Glory
18-08-2011, 06:47 PM
RVP will pick up an injury soon so Arshavin can play behind Theo.

Boss
18-08-2011, 07:49 PM
:bow: Arsenal.........feeder club to ambitious PL team......

wonder if they have a spare AM lying around?:coffee:

:gp: