PDA

View Full Version : Super Injunctions

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Giggsy's been named by MP John Hemming :lol:

Mr Hemming said it was no longer practical for Giggs' name to be kept out of the public arena as so many people were now aware who he was, due to Twitter and other social networks.

"With about 75,000 people having named Ryan Giggs on Twitter it's obviously impractical to imprison them all," said Mr Hemming.

The MP was immedately rebuked by the Commons Speaker who said it was 'not the occasion' to raise such issues.

Mr Hemming retaliated, however, saying he wished to clarify the enforcibility of a law which 'clearly does not have public consent'.

The identification came just hours after the High Court had refused to allow journalists to name Manchester United player Giggs, who was alleged to have had a sexual relationship with reality TV star Imogen Thomas.

Mr Justice Eady rejected a fresh application by News Group Newspapers to discharge the privacy injunction relating to Giggs, who is married, on the basis that to continue it would be "futile", given recent widespread publicity about his identity.

The judge said: "It has never been suggested, of course, that there is any legitimate public interest, in the traditional sense, in publishing this information.

"The court's duty remains to try and protect the claimant, and particularly his family, from intrusion and harassment so long as it can."

Meanwhile, a Times journalist who it was claimed was facing contempt of court proceedings over naming on Twitter another Premier League player with a privacy injunction over an alleged affair, was also named as by Mr Hemming in the Commons as columnist Giles Coren.

Earlier, the Prime Minister David Cameron said privacy rulings that prevent newspapers printing stories already in the public domain, in which he appeared to be alluding to the Giggs case, are “unsustainable” and “unfair”.

Mr Cameron said the Government would look at the issue of super-injunctions but once again warned judges that it was Parliament’s job to create law.

Speaking to ITV1's Daybreak, Mr Cameron indicated that he knew the identity of the footballer with the injunction, "like everybody else".

Giggs, referred to as CTB in court documents, is alleged to have had a "sexual relationship" with former Big Brother contestant Miss Thomas.

Despite thousands of Twitter users openly discussing his identity and one Scottish newspaper even publishing his picture on its front page on Sunday, publications in England and Wales remain prevented in theory from naming by a draconian court injunction.

Mr Cameron said: "It is rather unsustainable, this situation, where newspapers can't print something that clearly everybody else is talking about, but there's a difficulty here because the law is the law and the judges must interpret what the law is.

"What I've said in the past is, the danger is that judgments are effectively writing a new law which is what Parliament is meant to do.

"So I think the Government, Parliament has got to take some time out, have a proper look at this, have a think about what we can do, but I'm not sure there is going to be a simple answer."

Mr Cameron will set up a new committee to look at the use of gagging orders in controversial privacy cases, the Attorney General said today.

Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC said the Prime Minister will make the recommendation in a letter to John Whittingdale, chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

Yesterday Giggs was identified in Scotland by the Sunday Herald which claimed it was outside of the jurisdiction of the injunction.

Initially it was thought Mr Grieve might start proceedings against the newspaper for contempt of court after it emerged that copies of the paper were available in England.

But Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond warned that such a course of action would be "extremely foolish".

"I think it would be very, very unlikely that an Attorney General would be as foolish as to do so," he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

"I think the political issue is whether it is tenable to pursue this sort of injunction.

"I would have thought there is an increasing view it is untenable to do so. There is a whole question of what is of interest to the public and what is in the public interest, which can often be different things.

"But the law essentially is a practical thing. It looks to me like English law and English injunctions are increasingly impractical in the modern world."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/8531175/Ryan-Giggs-named-as-Premier-League-footballer-in-Twitter-injunction-row.html

Ollie the Optimist
23-05-2011, 05:33 PM
this still going on?

Shaqiri Is Boss
23-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Would be funny if it turned out it wasn't actually Giggs.

Rors
23-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Hemming's explanation on Fivelive just now took him to try and compare Britain favourably to Burma, and that we shouldn't go down their route. Er yeah. He's the MP for not too far from here (Birmingham Yardley). Boundary changes could bring him closer to being my MP at the next election..great..

Well, that's assuming the great unlikelihood of him holding the seat that is... :pal:

Rors
23-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Wonder if ITV will throw in the usual ad for his yoga DVD at half-time on Saturday now? (Clue: Yes)

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Giggs the player. :bow:

Giggs the cowardly adulterer. :pal:

Gubby Allen
23-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Some daft twat who uses twitter on 5 live this morning was defending his right to name all these people, some of which have been shown to be wrong.

What pisses me off, is nobody knows the status of the marriages (and it's not always the married eg Sven).

For all we know, any of the footballers, or the actor, TV personality, even Sir Fred might actually have seperated from his wife a few years ago but still live together for the young kids who have no idea they're not a couple any more - and after a couple of years and now agreed it's ok to look elsewhere.

Failing that, it could just be the the missus has put herself about a bit and has let the old man have a "free one" to get even.

Can't imagaine the clinically obese, unshaven gutter hacks at the NOTW listening to the desperate pleas of mum & dad and then saying "ok, fair enough, we won't run with it"

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 07:39 PM
W9z4pTN0izY

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Some daft twat who uses twitter on 5 live this morning was defending his right to name all these people, some of which have been shown to be wrong.

What pisses me off, is nobody knows the status of the marriages (and it's not always the married eg Sven).

For all we know, any of the footballers, or the actor, TV personality, even Sir Fred might actually have seperated from his wife a few years ago but still live together for the young kids who have no idea they're not a couple any more - and after a couple of years and now agreed it's ok to look elsewhere.

Failing that, it could just be the the missus has put herself about a bit and has let the old man have a "free one" to get even.

Can't imagaine the clinically obese, unshaven gutter hacks at the NOTW listening to the desperate pleas of mum & dad and then saying "ok, fair enough, we won't run with it"

What I don't get is why anyone cares what other consenting adults get up to. This celebrity culture really baffles me.

Besides sleeping around is more natural then the sanctimony of marriage.

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 07:55 PM
BBC Sport have decided to give us a Giggs tribute http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13507115.stm

Arsenal Fan
23-05-2011, 07:55 PM
:haha:

Marc Overmars
23-05-2011, 09:20 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/IshouldCoco/Pictures%20Photos/giggs.jpg

The Wengerbabies
23-05-2011, 09:21 PM
:haha:

Gubby Allen
23-05-2011, 10:28 PM
No idea whatsoever. You go in a supermarket Sunday morning and see people picking up the NOTW and I have to fight every urge inside me just to tap them on the shoulder & say "you mind me asking why you're interested in that shite"?

I can just about see the merit in Andrew Marr being exposed, at a push. At least he makes a living out of criticising other people for errors of judgement. I don't think Fred Goodwin putting himself about would've had the effect on his jobs others say, but ok, that too.

But not some, flukey nobber who kicks a pigs bladder around a field. Who gives two shits?

The only thing I find fascinating is who is a celebrity. I remember someone told me who was in a celebrity Big Brother once. Of the 12, I only knew 4 and 1 of them was in there as the "surprise non celeb" - yet was on Sky Soccer AM which made her more famous than those who were meant to be.

Could they expose a League 2 player, would that be fair? a local councillor?

What about the hacks themselves - can they be exposed or does their shit not stink?

danisinkz
24-05-2011, 08:20 AM
BBC Sport have decided to give us a Giggs tribute http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13507115.stm

Is it a tribute to all the women he's pumped?

The Wengerbabies
24-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Alex Ferguson has been caught on a microphone demanding to have a journalist banned from Manchester United for asking a question about Ryan Giggs.

Giggs - who missed the open training session at United Carrington training ground this morning - was named yesterday as the married Premier League player who took out an injunction over his relationship with 28-year-old reality TV star Imogen Thomas.

Today Red Devils boss Fergie was talking to the press ahead of the Champions League final this Saturday when United will take on Barcelona at Wembley.

Reporter Rob Harris from the Associated Press news agency asked: "The most experienced Champions League player in the team is obviously Ryan Giggs. How important is he for the team on Saturday?"
Click here to find out more!

Ferguson responded sharply: "All the players are important, every one of them."

Just minutes later Ferguson was recorded telling the Manchester United press officer Karen Shotbolt to ban Harris for asking the question.

Here is a transcript of the conversation which was caught on a Sky News microphone:

Alex Ferguson: "The guy that asked the question about Giggsy... at the press conference".

Karen Shotbolt: "Which one?"

AF: "Him that asked the question... who?"

KS: "Oh yeah, I'll tell you later."

(A few minutes later) AF: "Is he coming on Friday?"

KS: "The guy with the laptop?"

AF: "Aye. Then we'll get him. Ban him on Friday."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-boss-Alex-Ferguson-demands-ban-for-reporter-Rob-Harris-who-asked-Ryan-Giggs-question-in-Champions-League-press-conference-article740422.html#ixzz1NHk9Y9VF

V-Pig
25-05-2011, 07:03 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13530027

Cars belonging to journalists and photographers camped outside the home of Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs have been vandalised.

A group of masked men pulled up in a Transit van on the street in Worsley, Salford, and attacked six vehicles.

Reporters said tyres were slashed and cars were kicked and covered in flour and eggs.

Greater Manchester Police were called to the scene earlier and said inquiries were continuing.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52939000/jpg/_52939061_giggstrouble_mather.jpg

Thierrymon
25-05-2011, 10:26 AM
[url]http8//www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk5england,manchester-13532027[/urm]

[IOG]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52939000/jpg/_50939061_niggstrouble_mather.jpg[/IMG]
Good imo these jotrnalists are pauhetic. Time they reported on things that matter not some celebrities personal l

The Wengerbabies
25-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Twitter's new European boss has suggested that users who break privacy injunctions by posting on the site could face the UK courts.
Tony Wang said people who did "bad things" needed to defend themselves.
He warned that the site would hand over user information to the authorities where they were "legally required".
Lawyers are challenging Twitter in court to reveal the identities of Twitter users who violated a super-injunction.
MP John Hemming named Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs in Parliament on Monday as the footballer who had used a super-injunction to hide an alleged affair, after Mr Giggs' name had been widely aired on Twitter.
Responding to a question from BBC News at the e-G8 forum in Paris, Mr Wang said: "Platforms have a responsibility, not to defend that user but to protect that user's right to defend him or herself".
He declined to comment on the case directly but explained that in general, when dealing with cases of illegal activity, Twitter would comply with local laws to turn over user details.
He stressed that the site would also notify those individuals of any such request.
Little sympathy Mr Wang made it clear that if the matter came to court, those people would be on their own.
He said Twitter would, "let them exercise their own legal rights under their own jurisdiction, whether that is a motion to quash the order or to oppose it or do a number of other things to defend themselves."
The subject of legal jurisdictions and the internet has been hotly debated at the first e-G8 summit.
Technology industry leaders including Google's Eric Schmidt and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg were among the speakers at the event.
While many attendees felt that there was a need for further discussion, among delegates from the United States, there was little sympathy for the British legal position.
"I do view it to being similar to the Chinese situation where they also cover up misdeeds of high ranking people," Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales told the BBC.
He said that, although the internet was a global phenomenon, it was unlikely to pander to those countries with stricter rules.
"The US is going to be absolutely inflexible on this point. It is in the constitution," he said, referring to freedom of speech provisions.
"I think that puts intergovernmental communication and co-operation on this issue into a different light, which is, there's not a whole lot to co-operate on."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13546847

Free speech :bow:

PGFC
25-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Good imo these journalists are pathetic. Time they reported on things that matter not some celebrities personal life.

That's not the point, it shows a dangerous third-world attitude to the freedom of the press, beating up and threatening reporters? really? is that what you'd like to see? that way madness lies.

The Wengerbabies
25-05-2011, 09:54 PM
That's not the point, it shows a dangerous third-world attitude to the freedom of the press, beating up and threatening reporters? really? is that what you'd like to see? that way madness lies.
Yes

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager2/files_uploaded/moments/091208Starusuk06.jpg

Britney Spears :bow:

Marc Overmars
25-05-2011, 10:04 PM
The funny thing is if Giggs just let this blow over in the open, no one would give a fuck anymore.

I hope these injunctions are abolished. They're worthless, punishing people for telling the truth, do me a favour, love.

PGFC
25-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager2/files_uploaded/moments/091208Starusuk06.jpg

Britney Spears :bow:

:bow: You're much sharper on the new GW :lol: