PDA

View Full Version : Arshavin

Kano
20-08-2011, 07:51 PM
amid all the fab and nas dramas, it seems that arshavins contract has also hit it's last year (unless he has signed that extension?).

either way, where do you see him at this club? todays performance was possibly the worst i've seen from him, where he got next to nothing right.

it doesnt seem like too much of a fuss will be kicked up if he leaves for nothing, which given the impact he made when he arrived, is a sharp turnaround.

GunnerFan4Life
20-08-2011, 07:52 PM
No idea where he's at atm. Don't care. Just want to see what happens at the end of THIS transfer window and as in till the last minute.

milla
20-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Arshavin's contract is on its final year. Right now Arshavin is a bench player at best. :coffee:

The Verminator
20-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Can't believe how far this guy has fallen since joining us...:(

Boss
20-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Should have been sold along with Rosicky this summer if not for Cesc/Nasri.

As said above, not sure how he's fallen so hard since joining us, used to be a player that terrified defenders, now he barely does anything in the time he's on the pitch.

Can't rely on anyone in our team to produce a goal when needed, I'd ask for Arshavin to go but that would only mean he'd be replaced by Afobe or similar.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-08-2011, 08:20 PM
a bigger problem is theo.

theos in the same position, as is RVP. why would they stay when they see we arent investing? then again you could argue we'd be better off without theo and arshavin.

selassie
20-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Can't believe how far this guy has fallen since joining us...:(

I was thinking exactly the same today whilst watching him stumbling all over the place and failing to beat Martin Kelly, Liverpool's reserve full back.

Power n Glory
20-08-2011, 08:36 PM
No footballing brain or just plain lazy?

Joker
20-08-2011, 08:40 PM
This guy has become so shit for us, and is unrecognisable from the player who saved us 4th place in 2008-2009. He's lazy, fails to make runs into the box to assist our centre forward, misplaces so many passes and even his control has let him down.

alexander
20-08-2011, 08:43 PM
This guy has become so shit for us, and is unrecognisable from the player who saved us 4th place in 2008-2009. He's lazy, fails to make runs into the box to assist our centre forward, misplaces so many passes and even his control has let him down.

you say all this, which is true, but sadly he has to play because he is beter than most of the crap in the squad. Thats how bad it has got.

Edinburgh Gooner
20-08-2011, 08:44 PM
send him to the glue factory along with diaby!!

Flavs
21-08-2011, 06:43 AM
No footballing brain or just plain lazy?

Theo or Arshavin? They both suck ass to be honest, but at least Arshavinw as trying yesterday, Walcott just looked like he couldnt be bothered with it

Daniele
21-08-2011, 07:30 AM
arshavin has to go. he can't get back to his best and it's wrong to pick him.

Power n Glory
21-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Theo or Arshavin? They both suck ass to be honest, but at least Arshavinw as trying yesterday, Walcott just looked like he couldnt be bothered with it

We've seen many games where Theo has tried his best but he's ineffective because he can't beat his man or produce the cross. How many times have you seen Arshavin fail to beat his man, screw up a 10 yard pass, miss control the ball so it rolls out of play, fluff a shot......they all tried yesterday. I don't think anyone slacked off yesterday.

Besides his first few months, Arshavin has never had a game where he's terrorised a wingback and consistently beat his man. He shouldn't be playing out on the wing if he can't do this. He looks out of sorts.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-08-2011, 10:25 AM

This, all he is here to do is earning his wage tbh. Id say sell the cunt but we are so short of creativity and players he has to stay.

Kano
21-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Besides his first few months, Arshavin has never had a game where he's terrorised a wingback and consistently beat his man. He shouldn't be playing out on the wing if he can't do this. He looks out of sorts.

he has shown he can be effective with the good amount of assists he has supplied but his direct threat on goal has disappeared. i don't want to judge his season too quickly but yesterdays display was worrying when around him everyone was at least getting the basics right, yet he wasn't.

given his confidence to speak to the press when needed then i would doubt he's been too shy to tell wenger that he isn't happy on the wing, so i'm not sure that's the problem. compared with walcott who at least as consistently made noise about the managers 'promise' of being moved inside at some point.

gunnerrrrr
21-08-2011, 02:30 PM
he has shown he can be effective with the good amount of assists he has supplied but his direct threat on goal has disappeared. i don't want to judge his season too quickly but yesterdays display was worrying when around him everyone was at least getting the basics right, yet he wasn't.

given his confidence to speak to the press when needed then i would doubt he's been too shy to tell wenger that he isn't happy on the wing, so i'm not sure that's the problem. compared with walcott who at least as consistently made noise about the managers 'promise' of being moved inside at some point.

looked and played awsome in a 442 when he first arrived, however since the formation change he has been pants....433 or 4141 or 451 whatevea nonsense it is does not suit this guy and he is wasted

Niall_Quinn
24-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Arsh is going to be pissed at losing his top ten status. Very unfair, the Sun was always shit at top tens.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3771716/Top-10-fat-footballers.html

Master Splinter
25-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Arsh is going to be pissed at losing his top ten status. Very unfair, the Sun was always shit at top tens.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3771716/Top-10-fat-footballers.html

Where the fuck is Andy Reid? Scandalous tbh.

Neville Southall :bow:.

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
ANDREY ARSHAVIN has launched a stinging attack on Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

The Russian forward accused Wenger of being unwilling to take advice from anyone else at the club.

Arshavin, the Gunners' record £15million buy, said: "When you have a mundane, domestic problem, he's always very supportive.

"But when it comes to Arsenal, no one would dare approach him with questions about football or suggestions to change something round.

"Everyone knows what the answer would be."

Arshavin was never afraid to voice an opinion at his former club, Zenit St Petersburg.

But he insists he would NEVER argue with Emirates chief Wenger.

He added: "We've never had the 'big talk', although I have voiced my opinion a couple of times.

"He smiled in an understanding way but he has his own ideas."

Russia captain Arshavin has been a regular on the Gunners bench, starting just TWO of their 19 games this season.

He has either been replaced or brought on in 13 matches and also been an unused substitute on three occasions.

His only full outings so far have been in the 8-2 hammering at Manchester United and Arsenal's 2-1 Carling Cup fourth-round home win over Bolton, where he scored their second-half equaliser.

And the 30-year-old has revealed his frustration at becoming a peripheral figure.

He said: "It is better to play all the time like I did at Zenit rather than sit on the bench.

"I still want to play. If you are a footballer you want to be on the pitch — whether you are 18 or 35.

"Sometimes I go out on the field and know, however well I've played, I will be replaced after 70 minutes.

"And sometimes you sit on the bench in full confidence you will be brought on in the 65th minute."

Arshavin arrived from Zenit in February 2009 and bagged all of Arsenal's goals in the thrilling 4-4 draw at Liverpool in April that year.

But he has scored just twice this season and created only one goal for the team.

Wenger has preferred England star Theo Walcott and Ivory Coast ace Gervinho on the flanks this season.

And fed-up Arshavin does not see a way of forcing his way into the middle of the park either, with Mikel Arteta, Aaron Ramsey and Alex Song occupying those slots for the Gunners.

Prior to this season, Arshavin was usually a first-choice selection.

In the 2009-10 campaign, he started 25 games and was a substitute in five other matches.

And, last term, he again started 25 games, while making 12 appearances from the bench.

Arshavin groaned: "At the moment, Wenger has more faith in Walcott and Gervinho.

"Before this season, I wasn't used as a reserve."

Arshavin's contract expires in June 2013 and he has been linked with a move back to his homeland, with Zenit and big-spending Anzhi Makhachkala keen on signing him.

But although he admits money will play a part in his decision, he insists he will NOT attempt to force a move in January.

He added: "If my situation does not change, I may look at it — but not right now. But it is clear the salary is important."

And when asked if he preferred life in Russia to what he has experienced in London, he said: "After three years, meeting with different people I came to the conclusion that it all depends on what you have here and what you have there.

"I met a man in Miami who said there is no difference where you live — it is important how much money is on your credit card.

"I think this is correct — if you have enough money, you can provide for your family anywhere in the world."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3925355/Andrey-Arshavin-No-one-dares-question-Arsene-Wenger.html

Hes spot on. Also needs to start ahead of Gervinho

Letters
10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
[url]Hes spot on.

He hasn't really said anything of note :shrug:

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
He hasn't really said anything of note :shrug:Wenger not taking advice from others is something hes been accused of but now been confirmed. A big reason why we are a bit shit these days

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it's a massive help to have players bitching about their own interests in public when the team is trying to claw its way back from a disastrous start. Way to go guys.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it's a massive help to have players bitching about their own interests in public when the team is trying to claw its way back from a disastrous start. Way to go guys.

Yep Arshavin needs to Stfu tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3925355/Andrey-Arshavin-No-one-dares-question-Arsene-Wenger.html

are you really that retarded

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
are you really that retarted

Depends. What does retarted mean?

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Depends. What does retarted mean?

Ah shut ya face

fakeyank
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Dont agree on the Gervinho part. He is miles better than Arshavin but he sure could start ahead of Walcott, who in most games is utter crap on the wings.

As for what he said about AW, I suspect most of it is right. I believe AW is someone who will not change his philosophy, no matter how failed it is, just because he is super stubborn.

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Dont agree on the Gervinho part. He is miles better than Arshavin but he sure could start ahead of Walcott, who in most games is utter crap on the wings.

As for what he said about AW, I suspect most of it is right. I believe AW is someone who will not change his philosophy, no matter how failed it is, just because he is super stubborn.

Whether he's right or wrong is not the point, it's the fact he's decided he's more important than the team. Wenger spoke about unity and he;s right, what else have we got? Arshavin's, yeah but what about me, attitude isn't what we need right now. He's experienced enough to the know the media is going to blow it all up anyway. The headlines are nowhere near as juicy when a team is being professional and winning games, so the media will always try to drag everyone down into the shit with them so they can write the headlines that sell their rags. Arshavin and that other cock are giving them what they want. Why don't we stop worrying about the football and invite the media to a huge bitchfest where everyone can moan and whinge, how many points will we get for that?

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
What other cock?

Syn
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
NQ: Who cares what the media do with it? We've gone through the 'Arsenal are in crisis' garbage for nearly 4 months. If this is going to start making things go tits up on the pitch, we never had a chance anyway. Nobody at the club will give a fuck what Arshavin says. We can always find some other chubby fucker to have a humiliating 2 minutes jog around as a substitute purely designed to run down the clock. Everyone - Theo, Gervinho, Van Persie, Jenkinson... - knows exactly what role Arshavin's playing at the club. His words will cut no deeper than Coquelin's.

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
What other cock?

Your face.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 06:35 PM

HE Might be 100% rght but he is still a cock for speaking out, I could understand if he benefited the team or was worthy to say this, but he's not.

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Just read what Coquelin has said.

Dont disagree with him either

Wenger :doh:

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
NQ: Who cares what the media do with it? We've gone through the 'Arsenal are in crisis' garbage for nearly 4 months. If this is going to start making things go tits up on the pitch, we never had a chance anyway. Nobody at the club will give a fuck what Arshavin says. We can always find some other chubby fucker to have a humiliating 2 minutes jog around as a substitute purely designed to run down the clock. Everyone - Theo, Gervinho, Van Persie, Jenkinson... - knows exactly what role Arshavin's playing at the club. His words will cut no deeper than Coquelin's.

Maybe, maybe not. The media can have a big influence over what happens, on refs (we've all seen it), behind the scenes, on the pundits who swing from one extreme to the other. Before you know it Jack's saying stupid stuff on twitface in response to sothing stupid someone else said. Who needs it, especially when it's self inflicted? Not saying any of that will affect the scores, but it has to be better if everyone is pulling their weight, whether they are starting or in support. Especially someone of Arshavin's experience, he must know how it works by now. I suppose we'll hear more of this all the way to January.

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Look what's happening right here - the only people who are happy these two players have opened their traps are the ones who want to dig a knife into Wenger - mid season when there's no chance of him going anywhere. So it's pure spite. None of it is going to get the 3 points next game.

Master Splinter
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
What a fat fuck.

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Look what's happening right here - the only people who are happy these two players have opened their traps are the ones who want to dig a knife into Wenger - mid season when there's no chance of him going anywhere. So it's pure spite. None of it is going to get the 3 points next game.

Coquelin was sent out on loan last season to get first team experience at some Pub Team french team whose name i cant remember.

He got that experience and has that taste of first team football. Come the start of this season, he expects to be loaned out again but Wenger says no as hes needed here and then hes rarely played. Wengers fault. I know youre one of the ones who thinks Wenger can do no wrong (You blaming the board for how shit we are these days pretty much confirms this) but why send Coquelin out on loan to gain first team experience and then never play him especially in midfield where no one has stood out.

As for Arshavin, hes better than Gervinho who bar a couple of moments in a couple of games has been largely disappointing but is played over and over again. Dont blame Arshavin for speaking out

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
What a fat fuck.

Apparently he gets two pies if he plays a whole game and only one pie otherwise. City have offered him an "undisclosed" number of pies understood to be several times more than Arsenal have offered.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Coquelin was sent out on loan last season to get first team experience at some Pub Team french team whose name i cant remember.

He got that experience and has that taste of first team football. Come the start of this season, he expects to be loaned out again but Wenger says no as hes needed here and then hes rarely played. Wengers fault. I know youre one of the ones who thinks Wenger can do no wrong (You blaming the board for how shit we are these days pretty much confirms this) but why send Coquelin out on loan to gain first team experience and then never play him especially in midfield where no one has stood out.

As for Arshavin, hes better than Gervinho who bar a couple of moments in a couple of games has been largely disappointing but is played over and over again. Dont blame Arshavin for speaking out

Then the fat cunt should act like it instead of being lazy, he not going to play because he scored those goals against pool 4 years ago. what he did years ago is irrlevant, its what he does now that counts.

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Then the fat cunt should act like it instead of being lazy, he not going to play because he scored those goals against pool 4 years ago. what he did years ago is irrlevant, its what he does now that counts.

If it works for Wenger...

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 06:56 PM
If it works for Wenger...

How did i know you'd bold that part of my post lol

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:57 PM
How did i know you'd bold that part of my post lol

Cos unlike me, youre not retarted (sic)*

*Did i use the sic thing right?

Master Splinter
10-11-2011, 06:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E

Good WUMming

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM

So Wenger has stayed, we've had an awful start but now we're stringing a few results together. We need to get on the manager's case and agitate for him to be sacked... why? Remind me how that helps us.

Also:

I know youre one of the ones who thinks Wenger can do no wrong (You blaming the board for how shit we are these days pretty much confirms this)

Why do you make shit up? I've slaughtered Wenger when I've thought he was fucking up. But he's our manager for at least the remainder of this season, he's finally getting results. Failing to crucify him at every opportunity is not the same thing as pretending he can do no wrong. He's still invested in this club, don't forget. Those cunts on the board have had their cash, every last penny they could claw from the coffers. No dispute there, just the facts.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
So Wenger has stayed, we've had an awful start but now we're stringing a few results together. We need to get on the manager's case and agitate for him to be sacked... why? Remind me how that helps us.

Also:

Why do you make shit up? I've slaughtered Wenger when I've thought he was fucking up. But he's our manager for at least the remainder of this season, he's finally getting results. Failing to crucify him at every opportunity is not the same thing as pretending he can do no wrong. He's still invested in this club, don't forget. Those cunts on the board have had their cash, every last penny they could claw from the coffers. No dispute there, just the facts.

You do remember Ach is the boy who thinks Chamack is world class

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Also:

Cos with Wenger in charge, it'll only get worse. This current run we are on is only a blip. We'll be back to normal soon.

As for making stuff up, fair enough i dont actually read any of your long ass posts on here but skimming through them and picking out a few words/letters here and there, the gist is you blame the board more than Wenger

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:04 PM
You do remember Ach is the boy who thinks Chamack is world class

Glorified Ollie :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM

You're right, Arshavin is better than Gervinho. Far better in fact. But the problem is, Arshavin can't be fucking arsed more than half the time, and when he is like that, Gervinho is far more valuable to the team.

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Francis Coquelin is ready to battle for a spot in Arsène Wenger’s first team.

The midfielder has risen through the ranks at Arsenal and has started five matches for the Gunners since his return from a season-long loan at Lorient.

Coquelin’s last appearance came in the Carling Cup win over Bolton and he wants to convince his manager to give him further chances.

“I got back from Lorient where I was playing a lot so I think it's crucial that I can settle in the dressing room now,” he told Arsenal Player.

“I will try to fight for a first team place. I have to keep focused, keep training hard and give 100 per cent every chance I can get. Then I have to grab it and show that I can play.

“It's one of the biggest clubs in the world so to be part of it is just crazy. It's unbelievable.

“Every day I wake up I am happy because I come from a small town and now I am at Arsenal. It's great for me and sometimes I just don't realise it. I just enjoy every day.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/coquelin-i-ll-fight-for-my-first-team-place

What is so wrong with what Coquelin said btw?

Xhaka Can’t
10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
We'll be back to normal soon.

Top 4...yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normally I'm pissed settling for that, but after the start we've had this season, I'll take it!

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Top 4...yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normally I'm pissed settling for that, but after the start we've had this season, I'll take it!

I wouldnt tbh. Want a title challenge. Whether we win it or not isnt important. Settling for top 4 with no ambition of going for the title as it has been for years is not good enough

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Glorified Ollie :bow:

Better then being a Glorified Joker

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldnt tbh. Want a title challenge. Whether we win it or not isnt important. Settling for top 4 with no ambition of going for the title as it has been for years is not good enough

well were not winning the league get over it or fuck off and support city or spurs

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Better then being a Glorified Joker

Heath Ledger was pretty awesome tbh

Cripps_orig
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
well were not winning the league get over it or fuck off and support city or spurs

Are they the only options?

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/coquelin-i-ll-fight-for-my-first-team-place

What is so wrong with what Coquelin said btw?

Nothing, its just him being an impatient cunt, who thinks he as a right to start.

Xhaka Can’t
10-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Are they the only options?

You're lucky to have options.

In Communist Russia the team picks you.

fakeyank
10-11-2011, 08:43 PM

See, thats not the right kind of response. Ach thinks we should be battling for the title (and I completely agree) but I dont think he should be told to fuck off... why instigate something when he has a difference in opinion? I agree with some of his opinions and some I dont but I know he cares for Arsenal!

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
See, thats not the right kind of response. Ach thinks we should be battling for the title (and I completely agree) but I dont think he should be told to fuck off... why instigate something when he has a difference in opinion? I agree with some of his opinions and some I dont but I know he cares for Arsenal!

See, that's not the right kind of response to that kind of response. You think that Ach thinks we should be battling for the title (and you completely agree) but I don't think you should be telling people who have told Ach to fuck off not to tell him to fuck off... why agitate somebody who is trying to instigate something with somebody who has a difference of opinion? I agree it's fine for you to agree with some of his opinions and disagree with some, I know you know he cares for Arsenal although I'll be fucked if I know how you know it. In all fairness you should fuck off and support city or Spurs.

Ollie the Optimist
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
no he needs to fuck off, get fit and actually understand what putting a shift in means. he does fuck all on the pitch and is so fucking lazy its unbelievable. he can fuck right off now

Xhaka Can’t
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
See, that's not the right kind of response to that kind of response. You think that Ach thinks we should be battling for the title (and you completely agree) but I don't think you should be telling people who have told Ach to fuck off not to tell him to fuck off... why agitate somebody who is trying to instigate something with somebody who has a difference of opinion? I agree it's fine for you to agree with some of his opinions and disagree with some, I know you know he cares for Arsenal although I'll be fucked if I know how you know it. In all fairness you should fuck off and support city or Spurs.

See, that's not the right kind of response to that kind of response. You think that Fakeyank thinks we should be battling for the title (and you think Ach completely agrees) but I don't think you should be telling people who have told people not to tell Ach to fuck off...why agitate someone who is agitating somebody who is trying to instigate something with someone who is instigating something with somebody who has a difference of opinion with someone who has a different opinion from someone with an opinion? I agree its fine for you to agree its fine for him to agree with some of his opinions and disagree with some, I know you don't know how he knows he cares for Arsenal but I'll be fucked how I know you know. In all fairness you should suck Wenger's dick.

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
So we're agreed, everyone needs to fuck off apart form myself who needs to go and suck dick. I'm glad we've got that sorted. Teamwork!

Something that fat Russian and spotty French kid don't seem to understand...

Master Splinter
10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Something that fat Russian and spotty French kid don't seem to understand...

He's black.

Can't see his spots tbh.

Niall_Quinn
10-11-2011, 09:34 PM
He's black.

Can't see his spots tbh.

I didn't say the spots were on his face.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM

where did i or anyone else say we should not, end of the day we ain't winning the league this season and no amout of aiming to will change that.

If aw said tommrow we can win the league you'd say he barking mad so would ACH, so the guy could never win can he.

better to be realistic.

im talking about this season though.

Letters
10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Cos with Wenger in charge, it'll only get worse. This current run we are on is only a blip. We'll be back to normal soon.

'Normal' for Arsenal under Wenger is top 4 finishes.
I'm interested to know why you think the recent run (which is more indicitive of Arsenal as they've generally been under Wenger, especially early season) has been the blip rather than the poor start (which has never happened before under Wenger).

The end of last season was a car crash, there was clearly a lot of disruption in the summer, a lot of players left and morale was through the floor. We had a terrible start but (possibly prompted by the Old Trafford debacle) made some decent deadline day signings and they're starting to look like a decent team again, the sort of team I've come to expect under Wenger.

It all points to the early season form being the blip, not the recent run.

IBK
11-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Re Arshavin - I suspect that he is one of those players who need an arm around them to ensure that they are in the right mental place to play. Wenger doesn't roll that way, so I think the writing's on the wall. Also, IIRC Arshavin had an issue with how much tax he has to pay here, and hasn't really been the same since?

Fist of Lehmann
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Re Arshavin - I suspect that he is one of those players who need an arm around them to ensure that they are in the right mental place to play. Wenger doesn't roll that way, so I think the writing's on the wall. Also, IIRC Arshavin had an issue with how much tax he has to pay here, and hasn't really been the same since?
I think the general perception is the opposite, that Wenger is too protective of his players. There are plenty of quotes from players to this effect. Frinstance:

Walcott in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8469820/Arsenal-forward-Theo-Walcott-hungry-to-learn-the-lessons-of-this-season-and-see-team-fulfil-rich-promise.html)

There have been accusations that Wenger is too protective of his players, that his unwavering public loyalty does not foster resilience in his charges. The sacrifices of the manager do not go unnoticed by the players, though.

“The boss is always there for us and he takes a lot of it on his back,” he said. “I know people say there’s a lot of pressure because we are not winning things…There are things he won’t say to you [in the press] that he’ll say to us. He’ll have a go at us when he needs to. We want to win something for him.

"He has shown so much faith in us for so many years so we need to repay him. People are looking at him but maybe they need to be looking at the players because we are not producing it. He believes so much in this team…he’d die for the team. And that’s probably what we need to get in our system: we need to be prepared to die for each other. I think that’s what we are missing at the moment.

By the sounds of it, the only thing Arshavin is dying for is a tax break.

And for me Arshavin is starting to look like the kind of player who has a purple patch, a couple of great tournaments, and then just bottoms out. Before his move there were doubts voiced about why he had come to prominence so late, why had he spent so many years in Russia in anonymity.

I think we are seeing why now, and it's looking more and more likely that Arshavin is just another player who flatters to deceive.