PDA

View Full Version : Where to now?

Ernesto
21-08-2011, 10:43 AM
You don't need me to say it, but it's a bleak situation at Arsenal. No, we're not fighting relegation nor are we facing a debt-ridden crisis.

We are, however, finding that our deepest, darkest fears heading into the season are coming true. We're losing the games we expected, we're struggling in the games that we thought we'd not do so well in.

The predictability of it all is depressing. Just how good would it have been to rouse these players and go that extra mile to get the three points at St James' or actually try and play like the home team yesterday to get another three points? Well, good enough to see us going into the game at Old Trafford knowing that defeat would NOT be so damaging this early on in the season. As it so happens, it will take something close to a miracle to beat Manchester United. Why? Our game plan will be to play for a draw, damage limitation with a threadbare squad. You just aren't going to win with that mentality.

The frustrating thing to come from all this is that there is no game-raising, no desperation, nothing to get these media hacks off our back.

I won't mention Fabregas, because he's no longer an Arsenal player and therefore I am indifferent towards him. However, what I will say is why on earth did we procrastinate over a deal for Fabregas on his price tag when Barcelona were willing to pay the $34mil in JUNE! That's three whole months to make the deal and try and sign able replacements AND try and mould them into the first team.

What can we do as fans? Do we just sit and take this? Do we boo Wenger? Do we boo the board with demonstrations before/after games? Do we boo the team? Do we sing the Arsenal name even in the wake of impending defeat (a wonderful example of this yesterday at the Emirates)?

Joker
21-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I genuinely believe we need mass demonstrations outside the stadium before or after matches tbh. Booing the team during matches is counter productive, and it's somewhat unfair on some of the young players who have been thrown into the deep end and asked to do a man's job which unsurprisingly they're struggling to do. The manager deserves booing IMO, as does the board, but this should be done outside the stadium and not during matches.
Moreover, one of the ways to show our displeasure is to stop going to certain home games, and as the attendances start dropping and empty seats start appearing, our profit hungry board will have to pay attention, no matter how much the stadium announcer tries spinning it by claiming that the attendance is 60,000 when it's obviously much smaller. We need to hit the corporate whores where it really hurts them, in the pockets, and then perhaps our voices will finally be heard.

Ernesto
21-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I genuinely believe we need mass demonstrations outside the stadium before or after matches tbh. Booing the team during matches is counter productive, and it's somewhat unfair on some of the young players who have been thrown into the deep end and asked to do a man's job which unsurprisingly they're struggling to do. The manager deserves booing IMO, as does the board, but this should be done outside the stadium and not during matches.
Moreover, one of the ways to show our displeasure is to stop going to certain home games, and as the attendances start dropping and empty seats start appearing, our profit hungry board will have to pay attention, no matter how much the stadium announcer tries spinning it by claiming that the attendance is 60,000 when it's obviously much smaller. We need to hit the corporate whores where it really hurts them, in the pockets, and then perhaps our voices will finally be heard.

Very interesting you should say that, Joker, because it's a widely held belief that empty seats at Anfield are what ultimately cost Roy Hodgson his job at Liverpool and not the poor run of results to start the season.

Darth Vela
21-08-2011, 11:44 AM
If we get in a little more creativity in midfield and another experienced attacker, added to the extra solidity and work we've put into the first few games, we'll do quite well this season imo. The fact that the start of the season has been so shitty is down to the procrastination over Cesc and Nasri, we're lacking in their areas and the confidence going forwards is still shot, in short, I agree that something needs to be done. If we can't get in the experience we need to go with the youngsters it'll be deja vu again, it seems so obvious that you'd think it'll go without saying that we'll reinforce but this summer has been quite weird so you don't know what to expect.

In terms of what we can do as fans, well we can do whatever the fuck we want in all honesty, I don't think it's going to change what happens at the club, for better or worse.