PDA

View Full Version : Wenger not a great motivator - Tony Adams

Power n Glory
24-08-2011, 12:37 PM
"One of the gifts Arsène has got is that he's a lovely human being and I respect him a great deal. But I've got to get it real: coaching isn't his strong point. I love him dearly, he's a fantastic psychologist but he's not a great motivator. I'd just laugh at his attempts to gee us up – but I come from a different place, time and culture."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/23/arsene-wenger-arsenal-udinese?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Came across this quote in one of the papers today.

This is why Wenger needs to buy experienced players. If he can't motivate players, we're going to be in serious trouble this season because we're starting off in bad shape. It's why we collapse so often and can't hold a lead. If he doesn't buy experienced players before the deadline, this has to be his last season. I just can't see him motivating this players and it's probably why so many leave. Nice chap, but that's a serious character flaw.

Özim
24-08-2011, 01:15 PM
It's always been clear Wenger can't motivate, even after some embarrassing defeats the team never seemed to come out with all guns blazing in consequent matches.

The lack of urgency and desire comes down to him to be honest, he doesn't sign players who are leaders and cannot be the leader to them...he just thinks you can turn up pass the ball a few hundred times and win, football is also about heart, desire, battling qualities and leadership.

All was good when he had generals on the pitch because they did the job for him, but for some odd reason he suddenly decided leaders were no longer necessary and since then things have not worked.

Fats
24-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I think this is the reason some wanted Joey(Deacon)Barton to join. It is certainly not for a footballing reason but the fact he will motivate and drag other weaker players along or give them a bollocking.

Kano
24-08-2011, 05:44 PM
the most important part of that is the last line 'come from a different place, time and culture'.

says it all about how the two cultures related to each other in certain aspects.

Darth Vela
24-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it's certainly not a strength of his, I think he believes in self-motivation which seems to work with bigger and 'harder' characters but not with some of the shite we've had recently, looks like a lot of the new guys have that kind of grit, wait and see, I guess.

Özim
24-08-2011, 06:06 PM
the most important part of that is the last line 'come from a different place, time and culture'.

says it all about how the two cultures related to each other in certain aspects.
Doesn't really say it all does it though?

I mean Ferguson motivates his troops and look at their success, motivation is key to success and Wenger has an inability to motivate players which is a big flaw, since we don't have players to do the job for him it's even more problematic.

Grebbo
24-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Donkey can fuck off.

Great captain, shit manager.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

Niall_Quinn
24-08-2011, 09:24 PM
He certainly managed to motivate them tonight (or else they finally stopped listening to him). One or the other.

GP
24-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Donkey can fuck off.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

:gp:

Olivier's xmas twist
24-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Donkey can fuck off.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

:haha:

Coney
24-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Donkey can fuck off.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

Exactly. Wenger, who has had a number of successes at the top level should listen to a guy who has not managed anything with success. Adams was a great number 5 and captain, but a manager? No.

Flavs
25-08-2011, 07:58 AM
but I come from a different place, time and culture."

Yes Tony you are from Drunkcuntingdon, the capital of washedupville. Now STFUAGTFO

Fist of Lehmann
25-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Exactly. Wenger, who has had a number of successes at the top level should listen to a guy who has not managed anything with success. Adams was a great number 5 and captain, but a manager? No.He's managed to take FC Gabala from 6th in the Azerbaijani league to 7th.

That's a kind of success, in that they haven't been relegated yet.

Then again there are only 12 teams in their league.

Özim
25-08-2011, 11:46 AM
If Wenger is such a great motivator why have we bottled it in each of the last 6 seasons. Moreover why is it that when the pressure is one we've gone missing.

Please....one game against a team who aren't all that proves jack sh*t, if anything it's Chesney that turned the match for us.

Boss
25-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Not sure how what Adams said is being debated on here. Has nothing to do with him being a garbage manager.

As a player for Wenger, he believes that Wenger is a bad motivator but good at various other things.

Some of the stuff we've seen from Wenger's sides over the last few years back this up.

Özim
25-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Not sure how what Adams said is being debated on here. Has nothing to do with him being a garbage manager.

As a player for Wenger, he believes that Wenger is a bad motivator but good at various other things.

Some of the stuff we've seen from Wenger's sides over the last few years back this up.
Pretty much, Adams played under Wenger he should know what Wenger is and isn't good at.

He's said nothing more than we already know, Wenger can't motivate for sh*t, if he could we'd have picked up a trophy or two in the last 6 years.

Coney
25-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Pretty much, Adams played under Wenger he should know what Wenger is and isn't good at.

He's said nothing more than we already know, Wenger can't motivate for sh*t, if he could we'd have picked up a trophy or two in the last 6 years.

When Adams played under Wenger, the team were motivated to win a couple of doubles and a few other bits of silver. Wenger was the manager then, as now. Of course, the kind of opposition we were facing was not as great as now.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 12:21 PM
When Adams played under Wenger, the team were motivated to win a couple of doubles and a few other bits of silver. Wenger was the manager then, as now. Of course, the kind of opposition we were facing was not as great as now.

Why even attempt to dispute something like this? It's Tony Adams and he's not only one with this opinion. Wenger doesn't do the loud, hairdryer, 'Any Given Sunday' type speech when talking to his players.

Coney
25-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Why even attempt to dispute something like this? It's Tony Adams and he's not only one with this opinion. Wenger doesn't do the loud, hairdryer, 'Any Given Sunday' type speech when talking to his players.

Dixon said he found Wenger motivating. I guess some players like Adams need their arses kicking, others need encouragement.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Dixon said he found Wenger motivating. I guess some players like Adams need their arses kicking, others need encouragement.

We've got a lot of players in our squad that need an ass kicking. Putting your trust in them is one thing and can motivate players, but when someone is in a funk and the team is showing bad form, you need a different approach. Softly spoken words of encourgament won't work.

Özim
25-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes but he had leaders like Adams, Vieira, Keown etc doing the motivating for him...now he has noone and you can see the result.

Letters
25-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure players should really need motivating.
This isn't acting: What's my motivation?
This is football. The motivation is the wheelbarrow of money you get each week and the chance of winning some silverware.
The manager's job is to build a squad, I'm not sure why players should need any extra motivation to win games.

Özim
25-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Players suffer dips in confidence after defeats or not playing well, some players are strong minded enough to get through it, but motivation from a manager is important.

Ferguson is a great man manager and motivator, when the chips are down he picks his team up and this is priceless.

We've had some bad defeats in recent years, I'd have expected players to have been especially up for the return matches against teams they've suffered these losses against but everytime it's like those losses never took place.

The lack of leaders and strong personnalities is compounded my Wenger's inability to motivate.

Joker
25-08-2011, 01:23 PM
It's clear that Wenger is not a great motivator IMO. What is most indicative is the way we respond to setbacks. Over the last few seasons, we have seen this team collapse spectacularly after a damaging result in a cup or league match or a traumatic incident during a game. This happened in 07-08 (Eduardo's injury and maulings in the Carling Cup and FA Cup), in 09-10 (after the Birmingham draw) and 10-11 after the Carling Cup defeat. A proper motivator would be able to pick the squad up from these disappointments, and it's what Fergie is great at doing.

Letters
25-08-2011, 01:29 PM
The lack of leaders and strong personnalities is compounded my Wenger's inability to motivate.

I agree with that but Fergie's always had leaders out on the pitch too. You need that during a game, the manager can't do much while they're out there and it is something we've missed. I'm seeing some hope this year that we might have that with TV5 and some others around who I think can get us going when we're not playing well.

Wenger and Fergie clearly have different styles and different players respond in different ways. I wouldn't respond to Fergie's screaming at me, other players do. But we definitely need some leaders out on the pitch too and that's where we've been lacking. In the past Wenger's had great success when he's had leaders out on the pitch too.

Alan B'stard
25-08-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/23/arsene-wenger-arsenal-udinese?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Came across this quote in one of the papers today.

This is why Wenger needs to buy experienced players. If he can't motivate players, we're going to be in serious trouble this season because we're starting off in bad shape. It's why we collapse so often and can't hold a lead. If he doesn't buy experienced players before the deadline, this has to be his last season. I just can't see him motivating this players and it's probably why so many leave. Nice chap, but that's a serious character flaw.

this from the man who said
-"this is only an apprenticeship" (on taking over at wycombe)
-"this s going to be hard" (on taking over at pompy)

SayNoMore
26-08-2011, 03:02 PM
The ability to motivate is such a fundamental part of the managers role. Thats why fergie can win the league last year with the squad we had, and we at best managed 4th. Our squad, in terms of abillity last year was stronger than utds. Yet we came no where, because talent without the right mentality equals medicore ie us for the last 6 years. Its clear during the invincibles that we had a group of special players, and wenger gets praise for assembling that group. But with the good teams we have, Wenger cannot push them over that finishing line, whereas managers such as fergie, mourinho etc can.

gunsofashburtongrove
26-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Donkey can fuck off.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

Ollie the Optimist
26-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes but he had leaders like Adams, Vieira, Keown etc doing the motivating for him...now he has noone and you can see the result.

i think wednesday showed this statement to be wrong. a few players came out and said that they all motivated each other at half time to come out and play. and in this team now we have actual fans of the club, i believe frimpong and jenkison are real fans, you have tv5 and rvp who are vocal and strong leaders and then you have chesney as well

Power n Glory
26-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I know Tony Adams can say some silly thing and he has no real managerial credentials, but come on guys, he’s worked with Wenger for a number of years. It’s a valid opinion and it’s not as if we’re the type of team to bounce back from a defeat or setbacks.

As for players needing no motivation…come on now, they’re footballers, but they’re still human. When you start questioning your own ability or grow disillusioned, you need someone to pull you out of it. It doesn’t matter who you are, how much you earn of what you do.

Wenger believes he shouldn’t have to tell players certain things because it’s football and everyone wants to be a star, but I prefer Fergie and Mourinho’s approach. Wenger has been shitted on so many times by his own players and his approach doesn’t breed loyalty or respect. How can Vieira tap up one of our own players and disrespect the club and fans like this? The same goes for Clichy and Toure.

I just think this softly soft approach is killing us.

Letters
26-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Wenger's approach has clearly been successful in the past. He does need some strong leaders out on the pitch though and we've been lacking that.
As we fell apart vs Newcastle and Spurs last year, amongst others, he could only sit and watch. It's the players who have to pull themselves together and stop that sort of thing happening.

I see signs of hope though with players like Chesney, TV5 and Wilshere who could be leaders out there and pick us up when it's starting to go against us.

jelgoon
26-08-2011, 09:02 PM
It's clear that Wenger is not a great motivator IMO. What is most indicative is the way we respond to setbacks. Over the last few seasons, we have seen this team collapse spectacularly after a damaging result in a cup or league match or a traumatic incident during a game. This happened in 07-08 (Eduardo's injury and maulings in the Carling Cup and FA Cup), in 09-10 (after the Birmingham draw) and 10-11 after the Carling Cup defeat. A proper motivator would be able to pick the squad up from these disappointments, and it's what Fergie is great at doing.

I agree. Last season's defeat to Birmingham would have been dismissed by Moronhio or Ferguson as a one-off and their teams would have come back even stronger. We fell apart in the remaining games. Wenger almost pre-empted it by saying that he was worried that his team would be affected mentally but hoped that it wouldnt.

Edinburgh Gooner
26-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree. Last season's defeat to Birmingham would have been dismissed by Moronhio or Ferguson as a one-off and their teams would have come back even stronger. We fell apart in the remaining games. Wenger almost pre-empted it by saying that he was worried that his team would be affected mentally but hoped that it wouldnt.

That's what happen's with a young squad imo. Fergie has players like giggs scholes and neville to guide the team. Moaninho had Lampard, Tery and Drogba. Who did we have? Our captain was injured and dreaming of Barca, TV5 injured. Who did we have to drive the team forward? ANswer.... Nae CUNT!

Edinburgh Gooner
26-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Wenger aint out there kicking the ball around. Our greatest hope was Wilshere, yet it is far too early in his career to look for him to inspire the whole team and drag them out of the doldrums. Wenger can do his bit before and during the game, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the players on the pitch to get a result. And YES I am coming out in support of Wenger. When he needed inspiration on the pitch he couldn't exactly turn to the bench for experience could he? How many on this board can remember when Liverpool were winning everything and we were just a sideshow in the league? Who remembers the last minute goal to win us the league at anfield? How many here can remember a time when we finished lower than 4th in the league?

fakeyank
26-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Wenger aint out there kicking the ball around. Our greatest hope was Wilshere, yet it is far too early in his career to look for him to inspire the whole team and drag them out of the doldrums. Wenger can do his bit before and during the game, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the players on the pitch to get a result. And YES I am coming out in support of Wenger. When he needed inspiration on the pitch he couldn't exactly turn to the bench for experience could he? How many on this board can remember when Liverpool were winning everything and we were just a sideshow in the league? Who remembers the last minute goal to win us the league at anfield? How many here can remember a time when we finished lower than 4th in the league?

Exactly the attitude we need. Keep looking at our past and saying "thank god" and not having ambition :good:

Yes, days were bad in the 80s and I could care less. We have the resources to challenge at the top yet we always fall short because of AW's stubbornness. With the way football is being run these days, if we dont keep pace, soon we will be in midtable scrapping for Europa league places.

Power n Glory
26-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Wenger's approach has clearly been successful in the past. He does need some strong leaders out on the pitch though and we've been lacking that.
As we fell apart vs Newcastle and Spurs last year, amongst others, he could only sit and watch. It's the players who have to pull themselves together and stop that sort of thing happening.

I see signs of hope though with players like Chesney, TV5 and Wilshere who could be leaders out there and pick us up when it's starting to go against us.

We have more inexperienced players than players with experience starting in our squad. Also, we hardly have any players that know how to win a league title. We can't expect them to walk before they can actually crawl. it's all well and good saying the players should raise their game, but some just don't the capacity to and when you have a coah that isn't demanding more from them, what do you expect?