PDA

View Full Version : Theo Walcott

AKBapologist
24-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Drags us kicking and screaming into Europe with 2 goals, whilst being clearly out of form.

Impressive for someone without a footballing brain...

:coffee:

Marc Overmars
24-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Should be counted as a striker now tbh.

Özim
24-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Thought he was sh*t other than the goal :coffee:

Boss
24-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Some good touches but ineffective apart from the goal. That said what more can you really ask for.

Was impressed with some of his play, looked better than last week. Assume Wenger put them up to it but liked Gervinho and Walcott swapping flanks, caused them a few problems.

AKBapologist
24-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Thought he was sh*t other than the goal :coffee:
Winning whilst playing badly...

Marc Overmars
24-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Said it before but he either does something quality in a game or nothing at all.

There is no middle ground of consistency with him. You won't see him turning fullbacks inside out, spraying passes over the pitch etc...IMO he is a limited player but if played to his strengths he can be an incredible asset as we saw tonight. There is nothing more effective than raw pace and despite having a fairly quiet game (as usual) it only takes a second for him to find space and off he goes into the sunset.

Good finisher as well, I always have complete faith in him when he's bearing down on goal.

GP
24-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Said it before but he either does something quality in a game or nothing at all.

There is no middle ground of consistency with him. You won't see him turning fullbacks inside out, spraying passes over the pitch etc...IMO he is a limited player but if played to his strengths he can be an incredible asset as we saw tonight. There is nothing more effective than raw pace and despite having a fairly quiet game (as usual) it only takes a second for him to find space and off he goes into the sunset.

Good finisher as well, I always have complete faith in him when he's bearing down on goal.

Yep, his finishing is excellent. It's a real shame that some can't admit they were wrong about him. He's a real threat.

Özim
24-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Bearing down on goal when he has time yes, but when in front of goal no.....today he missed that easy chance in the 1st half which he should have put away.

Letters
24-08-2011, 10:35 PM
He's a frustrating player 'cos he does have some ability but he's not as consistent as one would hope.
He took his goal well today but overall he wasn't that great. He is capable of really adding something to us though so I hope he can stay injury free this year and become the player I think he can be for us.

Power n Glory
24-08-2011, 10:36 PM
If Wenger keeps getting him to swap flanks with Gervinho we'll see more of that.

See how he took his goal? If that would have happened down the right, he'd probably been forced down the corner flag side and pushed wide to make a cross. When he's on the left he's breaking for goal and looks sure of scoring. That's how Henry used to do it.

I hope Wenger sees some sense and keeps playing him out on the left if he's not going to play a 4-4-2. He looked dangerous all night and they were worried about his pace and runs. Looked more dangerous than RVP. Judge him as a striker and you wouldn't say he was ineffective besides the goal.

Boss
24-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Needs to learn how to shoot from outside the box as well. The 3-4 shots he had might as well have been passes to the GK, more power required.

Work on his finishing a bit and he could easily get 20~ goals a season for us (in all comps)

AKBapologist
24-08-2011, 10:41 PM
People just can't accept the type of player he is... Yes, he has an annoying habbit of forgetting the ball when he runs. Yes, some of his shooting was poor today, (by poor, 100% on target) And no, he shouldn't play down the middle.

HOWEVER, as a tactical assest his so valuble. Pushed Unidese's back line to there penalty box. No other player we have atm does that. It allows us to either go end to end or dominate possession. When teams refuse to do that, he smacks the shit out of there high line - it's fucking awesome.

He scores and assists enough from the wings, and no one else really covers enough ground to provide a goal threat and provide cover to full backs the days we need too.

Do I wish he can do step overs and spray passes like david beckham? Not really... concentrate on what you do best, as everyone else in the EPL keeps on telling us, there's more to football than Wengerball.

Coney
24-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Top scorer for the Arsenal so far this season.

GP
24-08-2011, 10:49 PM

So what?

one for Letters there.

Cripps_orig
24-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Very good player. Only real problem he's had is staying fit. Football wise he's fine. Sure he has weaknesses but the good far outweighs the bad and I'm glad we have him.

Boss
25-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Letters has scored more than Arsenal have this season tbf.

Letters :bow: :bow:

Kano
25-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Bearing down on goal when he has time yes, but when in front of goal no.....
just like the first leg eh...

Grebbo
25-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Needs to be played as a striker.

Özim
25-08-2011, 10:42 AM
just like the first leg eh...
No like yesterday when we were 1-0 down :coffee:

Letters
25-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes, 'cos every other striker has a 100% record.

Theo needs to get more consistent but there are some promising signs.

Olivier's xmas twist
25-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Play him in the middle agaisnt the mancs he will have Smalling and jones nervous with his pace.

Marc Overmars
25-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Play him in the middle agaisnt the mancs he will have Smalling and jones nervous with his pace.

Not seen Jones and especially Smalling play? They're pretty good at dealing with pace because they have it in abundance themselves.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 12:14 PM

What do you make of RVP? Scored yesterday, but against Liverpool Arshy set him up with a good chance and he couldn't finish it. Was pretty anonymous throughout that game as well.

Nothing against RVP, I don't think his head is right at the moment, but he screws up as well. We had that fast break situation for a third goal yesterday and he hit it straight at the keeper. It happens with all strikers.

Coney
25-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, 'cos every other striker has a 100% record.

Yep - Thierry Henry would get a chance once every 3 minutes and put it in the net every time if some of the posters on here are to be believed. The invincibles never put a single foot wrong or conceded a single goal.

Kano
25-08-2011, 02:12 PM

ah so take one into consideration and ignore the other.

Edinburgh Gooner
25-08-2011, 02:20 PM
What do you make of RVP? Scored yesterday, but against Liverpool Arshy set him up with a good chance and he couldn't finish it. Was pretty anonymous throughout that game as well.

Nothing against RVP, I don't think his head is right at the moment, but he screws up as well. We had that fast break situation for a third goal yesterday and he hit it straight at the keeper. It happens with all strikers.

RVP scuffed his shot a bit and hit it straight at Pepe. If he had put his boot thru the ball he would have scored. Against Pool he was drooping deep to get the ball. Last night he was playing more like a striker. It'll be a similar thing at Utd on Sunday where he will have to looking for the ball as we'll be without Gervinho. Unless Arshavin can pull his head from his rectum and realise hat he is a professional footballer and not a pie eater!

Özim
25-08-2011, 03:57 PM

I don't see RVP as an out and out finisher, but his skills bring a lot to the team...it does take him a good 5-6 games to come good though. He can bring players into the game and if we had a goalscorer alongside him it would be a perfect combination.

Walcott on the other hand has pace and that's really all he offers, I don't see any nice skills or clever play, he'll chase a ball and he's decent when running in on goal, but still nothing special.

I'd personally rather have a finisher in the team, someone like Di Natale, players like him are priceless.

Özim
25-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Yep - Thierry Henry would get a chance once every 3 minutes and put it in the net every time if some of the posters on here are to be believed. The invincibles never put a single foot wrong or conceded a single goal.
Henry was such a great footballer, he had an awesome shot, some nice skills and used his pace so well......there's no comparison, one was a manager's dream the other is a player with pace.

dazthegooner
25-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Henry was such a great footballer, he had an awesome shot, some nice skills and used his pace so well......there's no comparison, one was a manager's dream the other is a player with pace.

Remember when Henry first signed for us he scored quite a few goals but he also missed a lot of easy chances but he practiced and got better Theo can do the same just needs to be given the chance IMHO..

Özim
25-08-2011, 04:06 PM
ah so take one into consideration and ignore the other.
Not really, overall his finishing when in front of goal isn't the best...it's better when he's running onto goal and has time to pick his spot.

Özim
25-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Remember when Henry first signed for us he scored quite a few goals but he also missed a lot of easy chances but he practiced and got better Theo can do the same just needs to be given the chance IMHO..
When Henry first arrived he took 6-7 games to adapt then there was no stopping him.

Walcott has had 5 years+

I saw Henry in the 98 World Cup and could see he was a terrific player then, he was also very good for Monaco.

Walcott just doesn't have the skills Henry has and never will have, like I said before his asset is pace, he's a little predictable but it's useful sometimes especially when teams become tired.

AKBapologist
25-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Not that theo's going to be the henry, but your making it out as if Theo Walcott who I think isn't even the age Henry was when he joined us, is now in is prime?

Özim
25-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Not that theo's going to be the henry, but your making it out as if Theo Walcott who I think isn't even the age Henry was when he joined us, is now in is prime?
I'm not really, I also so Henry way before we signed him...he didn't end up at Juventus by chance, he was a quality player.

Walcott may not be in his prime but he's had 5+ years at a big club (most kids don't get that) so you'd expect him to be more advanced then some of the others of his age. What strikes me is that he's very predictable, he's quick so once he gets behind a defender they won't catch him but most of his game is average, there's no sparkle about him.

Same couldn't be said for Henry at his age.

Letters
25-08-2011, 04:16 PM
It's stupid comparing anyone to Henry, he was one of the best players I've ever seen.
Theo's not consistent but he's clearly got some ability, his progress has been hampered by injuries but his stats are decent and if he can stay injury free this year I reckon he could do quite well.

Master Splinter
25-08-2011, 04:57 PM
It's stupid comparing anyone to Henry, he was one of the best players I've ever seen.
Theo's not consistent but he's clearly got some ability, his progress has been hampered by injuries but his stats are decent and if he can stay injury free this year I reckon he could do quite well.

:gp:

He'll always have games where he's crowded out and is basically a passenger. But if he stays fit for once, he is a great asset.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 05:58 PM
When Henry first arrived he took 6-7 games to adapt then there was no stopping him.

Walcott has had 5 years+

I saw Henry in the 98 World Cup and could see he was a terrific player then, he was also very good for Monaco.

Walcott just doesn't have the skills Henry has and never will have, like I said before his asset is pace, he's a little predictable but it's useful sometimes especially when teams become tired.

If Henry had stayed at Juve where he was played out of position we'd see a different player.

Theo is a striker playing the role on a winger down the right. I don't think you understand how difficult that is. Henry was a winger converted into a striker. Taking on players and dribbling comes natural to him so all he had to do was sharpen up his finishing. He didn't even have to get used to playing with his back to goal because he'd pick up the ball from wide positions or deep his positioning and movement improved over the years.

Theo's off the ball movement, ability to exploit space and finishing are his best assets. Asking him to play on on the wide right won't get the best out of him. It's like asking Owen or Defoe to play as a right winger. He's done well to cope, but it time to push him over to the left or to the centre as a striker.

You've never been a supporter of Walcott and even after scoring a load of goals and setting up players, you still won't budge. I said before, if he stays injury free, he'll do well. Was I wrong? His stats are as good as our top wingers and he also shows up for the big games like yesterday, like last week, like the Tottenham derby and the Barca game. He'll have stinker of course, but cut him some slack at least. Credit where it's and that.

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Henry was a fantastic player even as a winger as he demonstrated for Monaco and France before he moved, it's what earned him his move to Juve in the first place, sometimes players move to a club and it doesn't work (Bergkamp at Inter for example) but they usually earn a move to top clubs (and Juve were one of the best at the time) because they have performed.

I don't think the two are comparable, one was a very special footballer the other isn't. Walcott will play his role, scoring a few goals along the way but IMO Ox-Chamberlain has more potential, he's young yes but he seems to have more awareness of players around him, can beat players and generally appears to have a better grasp of the basics.

It's early day but I think he could be very very good (Oxo)

Kano
25-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Not really, overall his finishing when in front of goal isn't the best...it's better when he's running onto goal and has time to pick his spot.

exactly, like the first leg, except that time the other way round. instinctive in front of goal and missed a late shot when he picked his corner.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Henry was a fantastic player even as a winger as he demonstrated for Monaco and France before he moved, it's what earned him his move to Juve in the first place, sometimes players move to a club and it doesn't work (Bergkamp at Inter for example) but they usually earn a move to top clubs (and Juve were one of the best at the time) because they have performed.

I don't think the two are comparable, one was a very special footballer the other isn't. Walcott will play his role, scoring a few goals along the way but IMO Ox-Chamberlain has more potential, he's young yes but he seems to have more awareness of players around him, can beat players and generally appears to have a better grasp of the basics.

It's early day but I think he could be very very good (Oxo)

You missed my final point about Henry being a natural winger. Theo isn't a winger and doesn't think like a midfield player so he hasn't got the basics of a midfielder but he has the basics of a striker. Theo has had to learn how to beat players, dribble with the ball to feet and cross. It's the reverse of Henry and much harder because your asking a player that isn't used to dribbling on the flanks to do that. Again, it's like asking Owen to play as a winger. I'm not even going to bother with Oxo because he hasn't made his debut for us yet and he's a midfield player. Also, I think he prefers the middle and is more of a passer type, but we will see.

But it's down to the players at the end of the day. We can talk all day, so far, Theo has been our most dangerous winger and the one most teams fear.

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:28 PM
exactly, like the first leg, except that time the other way round. instinctive in front of goal and missed a late shot when he picked his corner.
He's not instinctive in front of goal at all though, you'll often seem him miss those chances a goalscorer would put away.

Kano
25-08-2011, 06:30 PM
play someone in their 'natural' position full time and then you get the best from them. the boy's no winger, that's for sure

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:32 PM
You missed my final point about Henry being a natural winger. Theo isn't a winger and doesn't think like a midfield player so he hasn't got the basics of a midfielder but he has the basics of a striker. Theo has had to learn how to beat players, dribble with the ball to feet and cross. It's the reverse of Henry and much harder because your asking a player that isn't used to dribbling on the flanks to do that. Again, it's like asking Owen to play as a winger. I'm not even going to bother with Oxo because he hasn't made his debut for us yet and he's a midfield player. Also, I think he prefers the middle and is more of a passer type, but we will see.

But it's down to the players at the end of the day. We can talk all day, so far, Theo has been our most dangerous winger and the one most teams fear.
The thing is strikers with pace (the better ones) also usually have an instinct for goal, which IMO Walcott lacks. Now sure he'll score some goals, but when the ball comes to him his reactions aren't those of a player who doesn't have to think and just pulls the trigger as and when, like a Wright or Henry.

I'm not really sure what he is, as a striker I'd prefer an out and out goalscorer (like Di Natale) and as a winger I prefer a Gervinho type players who make defenders commit themselves through dribbling.

Wenger's been messing about with the forward line for years, what we actually need is someone with an eye for goal who can shoot from anywhere and will score goals regularly, think we would be a better team if we had that.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 06:40 PM
He's not instinctive in front of goal at all though, you'll often seem him miss those chances a goalscorer would put away.

What are you on about? What's instinctive? Last season, people were saying he's better off when he doesn't have time to think, now your saying the reverse. Last week he scored an instinctive goal and he scored all sorts of goals last season. You're being too critical.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 06:44 PM
The thing is strikers with pace (the better ones) also usually have an instinct for goal, which IMO Walcott lacks. Now sure he'll score some goals, but when the ball comes to him his reactions aren't those of a player who doesn't have to think and just pulls the trigger as and when, like a Wright or Henry.

I'm not really sure what he is, as a striker I'd prefer an out and out goalscorer (like Di Natale) and as a winger I prefer a Gervinho type players who make defenders commit themselves through dribbling.

Wenger's been messing about with the forward line for years, what we actually need is someone with an eye for goal who can shoot from anywhere and will score goals regularly, think we would be a better team if we had that.

Way off the mark with that one. You missed a lot of his goals last season. What was last weeks goal then? Pointless having this debate because your way off the mark.

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:48 PM
What are you on about? What's instinctive? Last season, people were saying he's better off when he doesn't have time to think, now your saying the reverse. Last week he scored an instinctive goal and he scored all sorts of goals last season. You're being too critical.
I've never said he's instinctive and frankly what people have or haven't said is irrelevant as it's not what I think.

He's not a goalscorer, reason being he's not instinctive and finishing doesn't come naturally to him IMO. He's been with us 5 years and has had lots of chances at goal, in many cases he's failed to put the ball away when well placed (it's not the odd time), that to me illustrates that his finishing isn't something that comes naturally to him.

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Way off the mark with that one. You missed a lot of his goals last season. What was last weeks goal then? Pointless having this debate because your way off the mark.
He'll have good games of course when things go right, but goalscorers do it regularly not from time to time.

Again I go back to Di Natale last night, look how he got into position and was a danger everytime he had the ball and pulled the trigger whenever well placed....that's what a goalscorer does.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 06:57 PM
He'll have good games of course when things go right, but goalscorers do it regularly not from time to time.

Again I go back to Di Natale last night, look how he got into position and was a danger everytime he had the ball and pulled the trigger whenever well placed....that's what a goalscorer does.

Play him out on the right wing and see how many chances he gets to pull the trigger.

Özim
25-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Play him out on the right wing and see how many chances he gets to pull the trigger.
It doesn't matter how many chances he gets though, the point is he doesn't have that goalscorers instinct, Di Natale find space and shoots/heads just does what he has to get a shot on goal, it just comes naturally to him, I don't think that's something we'll ever see Walcott do and it's not natural for him.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 07:09 PM
It doesn't matter how many chances he gets though, the point is he doesn't have that goalscorers instinct, Di Natale find space and shoots/heads just does what he has to get a shot on goal, it just comes naturally to him, I don't think that's something we'll ever see Walcott do and it's not natural for him.

What good are those instincts on the wing. Zimm? Do you think that predator instinct would work out on the flanks? Timing your runs and all that?

Henry wasn't a natural finisher either. He'd fluff a few chances before scoring and put him on his weaker left foot and he'd struggle a little. Remember that weak finish against Barca that would have put us two goals up?

Theo isn't a super clincal striker like RVN or Batistuta, that's not his style, but he can finish and even Ian Wright says he has the natural ability to finish and make those intelligent runs. Reminds him of a young Owen. I agree with him. Keep watching the kid because he has a point to prove.

Özim
25-08-2011, 07:12 PM
What good are those instincts on the wing. Zimm? Do you think that predator instinct would work out on the flanks? Timing your runs and all that?

Henry wasn't a natural finisher either. He'd fluff a few chances before scoring and put him on his weaker left foot and he'd struggle a little. Remember that weak finish against Barca that would have put us two goals up?

Theo isn't a super clincal striker like RVN or Batistuta, that's not his style, but he can finish and even Ian Wright says he has the natural ability to finish and make those intelligent runs. Reminds him of a young Owen. I agree with him. Keep watching the kid because he has a point to prove.
I thought you wanted him to play as striker though?

I'm fine with him on the wing scoring a few goals here and there, just don't think he should be a striker personally as I'd rather have that spot filled by an out and out goalscorer.

Owen was an out and out finisher, that's why he scored so many goals (until injuries took their toll), so I'm not sure how valid the comparison is other than the run's they make.

Owen was not just about making runs, his finishing in the box was also top notch.

We'll see how he progresses, think he need to get more invloved though and improve his final ball.

Power n Glory
25-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Ian Wright makes that comparison. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to strikers.

Yes, I want Theo to play up front or on the left of the 4-3-3 but again, you don't seem to understand how difficult it is for a striker to play on the flanks and especially on the right wing where he's always coming in on his weak foot. I mentioned the Henry example, Adebayor was the same, Ade wasn't a natural finisher but he got most of his goals from the left side coming in on his right foot. RVP is the reverse. Notice how many tines he's passed up a chance to shoot on his right foot this season? Play him on the left wing and RVP would lose his edge. The side you play on and your preferred foot makes a huge difference. Remember Reyes? He could have been a beast on the wing or as a striker if Wenger had played him on the right instead of the left. He got loads of assists but his goal record wasn't great. These things make a difference.

Alan B'stard
25-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I thought you wanted him to play as striker though?

I'm fine with him on the wing scoring a few goals here and there, just don't think he should be a striker personally as I'd rather have that spot filled by an out and out goalscorer.

Owen was an out and out finisher, that's why he scored so many goals (until injuries took their toll), so I'm not sure how valid the comparison is other than the run's they make.

Owen was not just about making runs, his finishing in the box was also top notch.

We'll see how he progresses, think he need to get more invloved though and improve his final ball.

theo's final ball should be a shot, not a cross. he needs to be played through the middle now

Cripps_orig
25-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Andy Townsend said it the best.

"Play Theo down the middle and have a Bergkampesque player feeding him in and watch him go"

I agree.

Obviously we wont find anyone as good as Bergkamp ever but whos out there thats a similar player?

Master Splinter
26-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Obviously we wont find anyone as good as Bergkamp ever but whos out there thats a similar player?

The only player who can replace Dennis Bergkamp is Dennis Bendtner.

Coney
26-08-2011, 08:02 AM

He would be the greatest player in the world. ;)

KESSLER
26-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Van Persie is Bergkamp-esque

Grebbo
26-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Berbatov. Worth a cheeky bid.

:coffee:

milla
26-08-2011, 10:36 AM

No doubt :gp:

milla
26-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Ian Wright makes that comparison. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to strikers.

Yes, I want Theo to play up front or on the left of the 4-3-3 but again, you don't seem to understand how difficult it is for a striker to play on the flanks and especially on the right wing where he's always coming in on his weak foot. I mentioned the Henry example, Adebayor was the same, Ade wasn't a natural finisher but he got most of his goals from the left side coming in on his right foot. RVP is the reverse. Notice how many tines he's passed up a chance to shoot on his right foot this season? Play him on the left wing and RVP would lose his edge. The side you play on and your preferred foot makes a huge difference. Remember Reyes? He could have been a beast on the wing or as a striker if Wenger had played him on the right instead of the left. He got loads of assists but his goal record wasn't great.
These things make a difference.

Yes, Wenger is good at fekin this part up. Reyes was a monster at right wing/striker role but Wenger forced him to play wide left. Now he is doing very well at Alteltico Madrid, as a right wing forward! I am so bitter with the way Wenger feck up Reyes's carrier at Arsenal. Feo will end up the same way as right wing forward, stupid French twat! :coffee:

Boss
26-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Reyes' downfall had nothing to do with Wenger.

milla
26-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Wenger largely contributed on Reyes problem at Arsenal, Reyes was crown signing back then and Wenger did very little to protect club's assets. :coffee:

Boss
26-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Whatever Wenger was doing with Reyes was working well as he helped the Invincibles win the title and then started the next season on fire (7 goals in the first 13 games, including 6 in the first 6). He went to pieces after the Man U game, and unlike the rest of the team never really recovered.

Letters
26-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Wenger largely contributed on Reyes problem at Arsenal, Reyes was crown signing back then and Wenger did very little to protect club's assets. :coffee:

milla
26-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Whatever Wenger was doing with Reyes was working well as he helped the Invincibles win the title and then started the next season on fire (7 goals in the first 13 games, including 6 in the first 6). He went to pieces after the Man U game, and unlike the rest of the team never really recovered.

Most of those goals came either as a striker or right winger. Reyes lost his edge when Wenger moved him to the left. In his last game for us vs Citeh, Wenger actually use him as a striker and he score two goals. :coffee:

Letters
26-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Edinburgh Gooner
26-08-2011, 11:07 AM

It seems you are banging your head against a wall Letters. I always thought Reyes look pretty acomplished on the left. Homesickness (lol) was his downfall!!

milla
26-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Double post :coffee:

Power n Glory
26-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Reyes was homesick, his girl had the miscarriage and he also had to deal with that racist Spanish cock of a coach, Arragones. That put him in a difficult situation and then he had the prank call situation and the Real Madrid shirt incident. A lot was going on in the background and I wouldn’t blame Wenger for that, but it would have be nice if we could have protected and supported him a little.

But on the pitch, I don’t think we done the right thing by playing him on that wing. Like Theo, he took a lot of knocks playing there. I don’t think he’d have taken so many body checks and kicks if he’d have played on the right where he’s cutting in. When speedy wingers are cutting in like that, it forces defenders onto their weaker foot and we they won’t be so quick to dive in. They’ll back up a bit more and try to force you wide by with positioning rather than going in with brute force.

It’s a shame about Reyes. I had high hopes for that guy. Still remember that great goal against Chelsea and how he tore Man U apart.

Coney
26-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Alzheimers is a terrible affliction.

Coney
26-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I said "Alzheimers is a terrible affliction".

milla
26-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I said "Alzheimers is a terrible affliction".

Wenger's own fault tbh :coffee:

Coney
26-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Wenger's own fault tbh :coffee:

:lol:

jelgoon
27-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Yep, his finishing is excellent. It's a real shame that some can't admit they were wrong about him. He's a real threat.

He's not such a threat. Yes, he gets goals and has brief bursts when he takes teams apart, but football is all about consistency. He isnt nearly consistent enough and in some games is totally anonymous (mainly against the big clubs who mark him tight and dont let him get away). He is still young and could improve but equally he could turn out to be another Shaun Wright- Phillips.

Power n Glory
27-08-2011, 01:50 PM
He's not such a threat. Yes, he gets goals and has brief bursts when he takes teams apart, but football is all about consistency. He isnt nearly consistent enough and in some games is totally anonymous (mainly against the big clubs who mark him tight and dont let him get away). He is still young and could improve but equally he could turn out to be another Shaun Wright- Phillips.

What, big clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool, AC Milan, Barca. He needs to be more consistent, but he also needs a consistent run in the team. When he scored thy hat trick for England he was flying for us as well but got injured. Last season after the 'no footballing brain' period after his hat trick, he was flying again but got injured.

He's got a good record against the big clubs. He's not always the best player on the pitch, but he has a stand out moment where he gets a goal or assist.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2011, 02:07 PM
The only big game he hasnt really done it in is Man Utd.

Maybe that'll change tomorrow

AKBapologist
27-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Not sure how many 22 year olds have had as many moments as Theo tbh. People are waxing lyrical at Cleverly, but he's the same age and barely made an impact on loan. And WTF was ashley young doing at his age?

Even Lennon currently disappears more than this lad on occasion after only finding some consistency last season.

SayNoMore
27-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Good post ^^

Theo is one of our only game changers we have left in the squad. Dont know why he receives so much criticism when he is so young still and being played out of position.

Cripps_orig
28-08-2011, 03:59 PM
The only big game he hasnt really done it in is Man Utd.

Maybe that'll change tomorrow

:gp:

Marc Overmars
23-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Theo has said in tomorrows programme that he wants to play through the centre now and feels wasted on the wing.

Read the interview on the Arsenal app so im guessing it's on the site as well.

server too busy!
23-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Walcott in the centre with RvP and AOC taking theos place :pray:

Özim
23-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Theo has said in tomorrows programme that he wants to play through the centre now and feels wasted on the wing.

Read the interview on the Arsenal app so im guessing it's on the site as well.
Yeah problem is he isn't all that in the middle either, his finishing isn't consistent enough (Shearer felt the same on MOTD).

Power n Glory
23-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah problem is he isn't all that in the middle either, his finishing isn't consistent enough (Shearer felt the same on MOTD).

Yeah, let’s just see how the kid does in the middle. You’ve shitted on him enough about his wing play and of all people you must be curious to see how he does in the middle. I’ve been saying he’s a striker for years and you’ve always disagreed. Let’s see what happens.

LDG
23-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, let’s just see how the kid does in the middle. You’ve shitted on him enough about his wing play and of all people you must be curious to see how he does in the middle. I’ve been saying he’s a striker for years and you’ve always disagreed. Let’s see what happens.

Nothing will happen. Unless Vinger changes to 4-4-2 he's gonna be shoved out on the wing.

Özim
23-09-2011, 03:13 PM
My bet will be that he'll still be the very ordinary footballer he's always been but we'll see.

Power n Glory
23-09-2011, 03:18 PM
My bet will be that he'll still be the very ordinary footballer he's always been but we'll see.

Ordinary players don't get that many goals from the wing. Ordinary players end up on loan somewhere in Brazil.

Master Splinter
23-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Ordinary players end up on loan somewhere in Brazil.

Robinho :bow:.

Özim
23-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Ordinary players don't get that many goals from the wing. Ordinary players end up on loan somewhere in Brazil.
He hasn't scored that many to be honest and he's certainly fluffed a lot as well. Moreover we're a team who generally create a lot (and miss a lot) so it's hardly a surprise he's got a few goals.

His career at Arsenal so far, very average, in fact Mr Average sums him up perfectly, if we did end up selling him I wouldn't be sorry to be honest. Never really impressed me, yet in the short time I've seen Oxo he has, make of that what you will.

I honestly don't care if he's English or not, it's just that his performances on the pitch haven't been good enough IMO.

fakeyank
23-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I dont rate Theo very highly but I do think he will twice as effective down the center when compared to the wing. AW is obviously going to play the shit 4-3-3 formation and fuck his career up, so all his rumblings about being wasted on the wings is no use.

Power n Glory
23-09-2011, 04:31 PM
He hasn't scored that many to be honest and he's certainly fluffed a lot as well. Moreover we're a team who generally create a lot (and miss a lot) so it's hardly a surprise he's got a few goals.

His career at Arsenal so far, very average, in fact Mr Average sums him up perfectly, if we did end up selling him I wouldn't be sorry to be honest. Never really impressed me, yet in the short time I've seen Oxo he has, make of that what you will.

I honestly don't care if he's English or not, it's just that his performances on the pitch haven't been good enough IMO.

Look through the last through his goal record and compare it to our other wingers. Plus, we've never had a winger down the right that has scored as much as him since Freddie.

It's not easy for right footers to score goals coming down the right.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Hope Theo picked up a few ideas from AOC yesterday.

Hope he's got enough brain power to still remember them today.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Hope Theo picked up a few ideas from AOC yesterday.

Hope he's got enough brain power to still remember them today.

Why would he? We've seen what happens if you dare contribute.

Joker
23-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Valencia and Oxlade showed how proper wide midfielders/wingers are supposed to play. Walcott is extremely one dimensional compared to the pair of them.

Marc Overmars
23-01-2012, 02:27 PM
It's obvious that it all comes naturally for Ox, Theo is so limited in comparison. One is a footballer the other is a sprinter.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Valencia and Oxlade showed how proper wide midfielders/wingers are supposed to play. Walcott is extremely one dimensional compared to the pair of them.

Yep AW should now see he needs to play theo down the middle or not at all. Really needs to tell him to go hard or go home.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Why would he? We've seen what happens if you dare contribute.

Theo will never be subbed, the stats package wouldn't allow it.

Boss
23-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Need to mug off some team asap while his stock is still high.

Citeh for 25M would be great.

LDG
23-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Theo will never be subbed, the stats package wouldn't allow it.

We should go back to Windows 2003 :(

Fats
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I think Theo was shown up by an 18 year old that is driven by a want to win not money.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM
We should go back to Windows 2003 :(

We should go back to Wenger 2003

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Need to mug off some team asap while his stock is still high.

Citeh for 25M would be great.

Crazy, we could get £4mill for Barca so why would we agree to a bid from city?

Cripps_orig
23-01-2012, 03:36 PM
We should go back to Wenger 2003Choking after Xmas after being 8 points clear at one stage?

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Choking after Xmas after being 8 points clear at one stage?

Yeah, it'd be so cool to scale the mountain and get back to that level.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Choking after Xmas after being 8 points clear at one stage?

9 years on and he is still chocking after xmas

Cripps_orig
23-01-2012, 04:15 PM
9 years on and he is still chocking after xmasPretty much

The choking has been prominent in all Wengers sides over the years. However during 98-05, when we did choke, we had the talent and mentality to come back and be our best which would lead to trophies

Now we dont have the talent or mentality but the choking remains. Our best these days is struggling to a win v Pub Teams such as QPR, Norwich etc

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Pretty much

The choking has been prominent in all Wengers sides over the years. However during 98-05, when we did choke, we had the talent and mentality to come back and be our best which would lead to trophies

Now we dont have the talent or mentality but the choking remains. Our best these days is struggling to a win v Pub Teams such as QPR, Norwich etc

That makes absolutely no sense.

Coney
23-01-2012, 05:31 PM
That makes absolutely no sense.

Are you new here?

Cripps_orig
23-01-2012, 07:54 PM
That makes absolutely no sense.We choked 02/03 season

Came back the next to win the league

Choked when the unbeaten run ended costing us the title that year, came back to win the Cup.

Pretty simple to understand

Power n Glory
23-01-2012, 08:36 PM
It may seem like hindsight but it's true. Even at our strongest we'd be poor in Europe and could never win back to back titles under Wenger. The flaw has always been there. It has gotten worse over the years and that's down to is having younger inexperienced players. He can't steady there nerves when they panic. I suspect in the all days we always had an old head in the dressing room that could demand a performance and get them to snap out of a funk if I was getting silly. We had games where we just weren't performing with any confidence but it's never been so bad. Wenger is suited for coaching youth teams.

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2012, 08:47 PM
We choked 02/03 season

Came back the next to win the league

Choked when the unbeaten run ended costing us the title that year, came back to win the Cup.

Pretty simple to understand

It makes no sense when you talk about choking while praising the mentality.

Ollie the Optimist
23-01-2012, 08:54 PM
theo needs to sort himself out pretty dam fast, been playing like utter shit last few games, and demanding 85k a week. if he doesnt improve in the next few games then tell him to fuck off over summer.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 08:56 PM
It makes no sense when you talk about choking while praising the mentality.

We are more experienced at choking now, we have players who have been choking for years and can help the inexperienced chokers. It all seems fairly mental to me so I don't agree with your post.

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2012, 09:31 PM
We are more experienced at choking now, we have players who have been choking for years and can help the inexperienced chokers. It all seems fairly mental to me so I don't agree with your post.

I don't agree with your face.

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't agree with your face.

Talk to the hand then.

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Don't go there girl!

GP
23-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Oh no she didn't!

Niall_Quinn