PDA

View Full Version : Asharvin: Why is he not shinning?

gunnerrrrr
27-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Do you think it is down to Wenger and his misuse of such a talent?

I remember his first 4 months or so when he was electric, so who is to blame?

There is no denying how good this guy is, we have witnessed it for club (Zenit and initially with Arsenal) and country.

Wenger seems to use him in one way, with Cesc gone now surley he should be given a chance in a number 10 position or in central midfield...anything but the wings where he seems wasted in our psuedo 433 (really 4141)

Cripps_orig
27-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Probably cos he's too clean a striker of the ball.Serioudly though, he was excellent when he came, then he got a full pre season under Wenger where he got Wengeritis and the rest as they say is history.Play him where he belongs and he's our best player by a mile

Özim
27-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Hard to tell, but Wenger never plays players in their right positions which doesn't help.

One of our most gifted players but Wenger can't get the best out of him it seems.

Darth Vela
27-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Maybe he's just getting old?

It's certainly not being played out of position as I'm pretty sure starting a little to the left on the pitch doesn't deprive you of your ability to shoot straight or consistently avoid dribbling into the opposition.

He's looking a little more svelte this season and is working a little harder, maybe these will help him find more consistency, otherwise he's still pretty useful but not first choice.

gunnerrrrr
27-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Maybe he's just getting old?

It's certainly not being played out of position as I'm pretty sure starting a little to the left on the pitch doesn't deprive you of your ability to shoot straight or consistently avoid dribbling into the opposition.

He's looking a little more svelte this season and is working a little harder, maybe these will help him find more consistency, otherwise he's still pretty useful but not first choice.

he's not that old in footballing terms.

what if Wenger had played Bergkamp on the left of a 433(4141)....a guy with the greatest touch, sensational vision etc etc...imo i feel he would have been 30% less effective if not more, would have been a huge waste of talent...my concern is that Wenger is doing the same with Asharvin.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2011, 11:22 PM
He was productive in terms of stats last season, despite giving off the impression he was a fat fuck.

Dunno about him though, for 2 years he hasn't looked anything like the player who tore it up in his first 4 months. I wouldn't have been against selling him this summer but now of course we need to keep him for obvious reasons. Hopefully his form is a bit more consistent this year and we see some of that wow factor this team lacks.

Darth Vela
27-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Then, I feel sure Bergkamp would have still drifted into the spaces and found the passes and goals, good players are good players and with the general fluidity of our formation they get a chance to find space and do their thing, if he was just not getting chances then I might agree but he's finding the right positions so I don't know why he isn't quite getting it right.

Power n Glory
27-08-2011, 11:35 PM
he's not that old in footballing terms.

what if Wenger had played Bergkamp on the left of a 433(4141)....a guy with the greatest touch, sensational vision etc etc...imo i feel he would have been 30% less effective if not more, would have been a huge waste of talent...my concern is that Wenger is doing the same with Asharvin.

True. Just watching his old clips on Youtube and he's not a winger. He has pace, but he's dangerous on the edge of the box. He can beat players but he's not the Ronaldo, Messi type. The amount of assists he gets from the flanks is impressive but he's hardly influential for us. He never takes over a game and it's hard for a player of his ability to when he's stuck out wide.

Also, he always looks knackered on the wing. Wenger is supposed to be obsessed with fitness and conditioning so I can't understand why he hasn't seen that Arshavin hasn't got the legs and lungs to burst up and down the pitch. If Wenger insists on playing a 4-3-3, then Arshavin should play in the centre, or play how Silva plays for Man City.

But he could also be used in a 4-4-2 and play behind the striker. Wenger is just so unorthodox and it really frustrates me. For years he's played Rosicky out of position and the same can be said for Theo, Hleb, Reyes and Nasri. It took him a while play Song as a DM and he preferred Denilson instead because of those damn pass stats and his ability to maintain the same energy level over 90 minutes. I also feel we didn't get the best out of Cesc. For years he played him in a 4-4-2, when a 4-3-3 would have been better and when he finally switched, he was playing Cesc so far up the field he couldn't receive the ball as much and dictate the tempo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRxxurh0xg

Have a look at the Arshavin of the past. Makes me weep to see what he has become.

Power n Glory
27-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Then, I feel sure Bergkamp would have still drifted into the spaces and found the passes and goals, good players are good players and with the general fluidity of our formation they get a chance to find space and do their thing, if he was just not getting chances then I might agree but he's finding the right positions so I don't know why he isn't quite getting it right.

You can't just drift anywhere you want when you have defensive duties to think about. It's also crazy to think Bergkamp would do just as well on the flanks. How would he fit into counter attacks? The winger is supposed to carry the ball up field and make those breaking runs. You want a guy like Bergkamp further up the filed to play the final killer pass or to do some trickery on the edge of the box to create space for others.

fakeyank
28-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Wenger :rose:

gunsofashburtongrove
28-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Hard to tell, but Wenger never plays players in their right positions which doesn't help.

One of our most gifted players but Wenger can't get the best out of him it seems.
That's been said about Bendtner also- re: playing out of position. Makes sense if the players have done everything they can, but look better in the original position.How would one explain showing poor touch, form, passing and in the case of Arshavin looking slower than he was, on playing on the wings as opposed to playing him behind the striker. It is definitely the attitude may be induced from being played out of position. Would love to avoid players of that sort

Master Splinter
28-08-2011, 05:51 AM
He was playing on the wing in a 4-4-2 when he arrived here. Now he's playing on the wing in a 4-3-3. If anything, he should be more effective now.

You can perhaps blame Wenger for not motivating him enough to give 100%, but you can't blame Wenger for his worse-than-Bendtner first touch, his running into players, his pathetic inability to make one-yard passes and his new found ability to mess up an assist when you have half the pitch glaring at you.

The maddening thing is that he will still make the odd killer pass or dribble that will lead to a clear chance. It is ridiculous that he can pull this out when most of the time he's struggling with the basics that even a one-legged cripple would find simple.

And no, he should never play centrally; he'd be an absolute liability there.

Ernesto
28-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Arshavin, as people have pointed out, isn't playing in the correct position. He isn't being utilised to his fullest, and that's the reason he isn't shining.

Many of our players were bought as out-and-out strikers only to try and become wing players. Arshavin, Walcott, Vela, Gervinho and even Bentdner when he's called upon as a sub. These players are criticised when they don't pull their weight but Wenger isn't entirely blameless in all this. How on earth do you expect a player like Arshavin to to beat his man and whip a cross in a la Overmars, Henry and Ljungberg when pace clearly isn't the Russian's strong point? I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that the lack of pace in this squad now is shocking and it will be telling today, too.

With Arshavin in particular, it's a real shame. I said at the time that we didn't need him (in January 09) but he was billed to be this "marquis" signing. The one player who would be enough to express Wenger's intent. The player that would be enough to keep the likes of Fabregas, Nasri and RvP at the club. Maybe he did, who knows? Maybe he delayed the departure of Nasri and Fabregas, it's hard to say.

If, however, Arshavin is played as a striker, I can't help but think he'd fail miserably in the Premiership. People are saying play him in a Bergkamp role, but even that's difficult. He doesn't have the Dutchman's height in order to bring the ball down, he doesn't have anywhere near the same ball control or passing ability and, more often than not, he won't have anyone in front of him to play through balls into.

When all is said and done, though, I quite like the idea of having Arshavin at the club. There is an uncanny "wow" factor he brings to any line-up and we still think he's capable of another well overdue performance like at Anfield.

Joker
28-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Darth Vela's right in that some of the basic errors that Arshavin's been making (crap first touch, poor passing etc) can't simply be down to being played out of position. I agree that he's not as effective out wide as he would be in a central position, but that's no excuse for getting the basics wrong as he so often does these days. Sure, Bergkamp would have been much less effective playing wide, but he would still be able to make 5 yard passes, and be able to control the football.

alexander
28-08-2011, 08:54 AM
With Arshavin in particular, it's a real shame. I said at the time that we didn't need him (in January 09) but he was billed to be this "marquis" signing. The one player who would be enough to express Wenger's intent.

I would say he played a very large part in getting us back into the CL in those last few months of that season, we were struggling at the time tbh

Fats
28-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Good player but lazy, unmotivated and homesick.

Shame but there it is sould have moved him on.

Power n Glory
28-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Wenger :rose:

Darth Vela's right in that some of the basic errors that Arshavin's been making (crap first touch, poor passing etc) can't simply be down to being played out of position. I agree that he's not as effective out wide as he would be in a central position, but that's no excuse for getting the basics wrong as he so often does these days. Sure, Bergkamp would have been much less effective playing wide, but he would still be able to make 5 yard passes, and be able to control the football.

He may be low on confidence. When your confidence goes, the basics go out the window as well.

RomfordPele
28-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Combination of all of the above for me:

1. He's lost confidence, motivation and pace.
2. He's been played out of position.
3. He eats too many fecking pies.

Will score today though. Guarantee it.

SayNoMore
28-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Pop him in the middle, tell him he is now the main guy at afc, and he will shine. Simples. One of the best attackers at Arsenal and when on form hes on of the best in the league. Even if hes lost a yard of pace its fine, he doesnt need to beat anyone like on the wings, just direct the play and he's good enough to contribute with a lot of assists and goals.