PDA

View Full Version : America in disgrace

Coney
22-09-2011, 12:35 PM
.. and not just about their stance on the Palestinians' efforts in the UN....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860

Death row inmate Troy Davis has been executed in the US state of Georgia for the fatal shooting of policeman Mark MacPhail in 1989.

Davis' death was delayed for hours while the US Supreme Court considered an eleventh-hour appeal for clemency.

The 42-year-old's case was heavily disputed after most of the witnesses recanted or changed their testimony.

Various quotes from the public at the end of the article - here are a couple..

From what I have read of the evidence or rather lack of it and speaking as a UK police officer you wouldn't have got a conviction for a minor motoring offence with that much doubt in the Uk let alone a murder conviction with the death penalty.

I support the death penaly as a form of punishment, but cases like this show that as a human race we cannot be trusted to use it.

This is murder by the US. There was too much doubt to ever put this man to death, and to tell him he "couldn't prove his innocence" is one of the most dangerous statements ever made by a law maker.

I can understand the family of the policeman wanting vengeance, but I fail to see how that can be satisfied by executing the wrong man.

Still, I suppose if he is black, then they don't feel the need to worry about it as he presumably looked like the guy that did, as do the other millions of blacks in the US. ;)

Ollie the Optimist
22-09-2011, 12:51 PM
apparently 7/9 witnesses changed their statements to say he didnt do it and they still excecuted him. what a joke

Cripps_orig
22-09-2011, 12:53 PM
SHould have got Clint Eastwood on the case tbh

LDG
22-09-2011, 01:51 PM
SHould have got Clint Eastwood on the case tbh

:gp:

Clint :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
22-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm out of order? You're out of order! This whole court's out of order!

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 05:14 PM
America is like 50 countries bound together, but each state has a good degree of independence on many key matters. It's just as easy to say Georgia is in disgrace because this would never have happened in New York. At least the yanks go through the whole pretence of the court process, over here if we want someone out of the way we just chase them into the tube station and shoot them in the head ten times. UK in disgrace? Nothing new there.

Coney
22-09-2011, 05:20 PM
America is like 50 countries bound together, but each state has a good degree of independence on many key matters. It's just as easy to say Georgia is in disgrace because this would never have happened in New York. At least the yanks go through the whole pretence of the court process, over here if we want someone out of the way we just chase them into the tube station and shoot them in the head ten times. UK in disgrace? Nothing new there.

That's a gross exaggeration. He was only shot in the head 5 times.

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 05:27 PM
That's a gross exaggeration. He was only shot in the head 5 times.

It was 10 in the end. The story changed from 5 to 8 to 10 as the facts became know (that is, as the police lies were knocked down). He was also shot after he was restrained, as clear a case of cold-blooded murder as you'll ever hear about, all the coppers walked free. We have nothing with which to beat Americans, we are already so low we could not reach anyway.

Coney
22-09-2011, 05:30 PM
It was 10 in the end. The story changed from 5 to 8 to 10 as the facts became know (that is, as the police lies were knocked down). He was also shot after he was restrained, as clear a case of cold-blooded murder as you'll ever hear about, all the coppers walked free. We have nothing with which to beat Americans, we are already so low we could not reach anyway.

I was kidding. However you are right about cover-up.

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I was kidding. However you are right about cover-up.

I knew you were but one should never let the opportunity to rant about politics and establishment corruption slip past.

Coney
22-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I knew you were but one should never let the opportunity to rant about politics and establishment corruption slip past.#

Just don't get me started....

Master Splinter
22-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I knew you were but one should never let the opportunity to rant about politics and establishment corruption slip past.

Or just rant in general?

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Or just rant in general?

General rants are highly undesirable, all rants should be categorised.

V-Pig
22-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Surely it is grossly unfair and misleading to mention our transgressions in the same breath as those of the United States, considering our far superior track record. I am far from a nationalist and I would never advocate complacency as far as one's own country is concerned, however what you have to bear in mind is that parts of the USA still enact the death penalty. That trumps most of our country's misdeeds. Bring in the fact that 40% of Americans believe in creationism and marry it to the prominence of Sarah Palin in their country's national discourse, and you have a good argument for focusing solely on their fuck-ups in this thread.

Xhaka Can’t
22-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Surely it is grossly unfair and misleading to mention our transgressions in the same breath as those of the United States, considering our far superior track record. I am far from a nationalist and I would never advocate complacency as far as one's own country is concerned, however what you have to bear in mind is that parts of the USA still enact the death penalty. That trumps most of our country's misdeeds. Bring in the fact that 40% of Americans believe in creationism and marry it to the prominence of Sarah Palin in their country's national discourse, and you have a good argument for focusing solely on their fuck-ups in this thread.

I'm sure the family of Jean Charles de Menezes would go along with that.

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Finding a way to separate our transgressions from those of the United States would be the first formidable task. We have a string of prime ministers with swollen rectums and they weren't getting fucked by Russians (except for Michael Foot). It's true about some of America's crazy beliefs, but it's a free country (in name only of course) so if that's what they want to believe then I don't have a problem with that. Then again, I'm a libertarian so I don't have a problem with the Ku Klux Klan either, provided all they do is spout shit and they don't actually hurt anybody. Neither do I have a problem with the 60 odd percent (maybe more) of people in the UK who believe our troops are heroes. Now if you want to highlight a fucked up belief system, how can you top that?

Does the American system murder people? Yes. Does the British system murder people? Yes, lots of them. But they are brown, black and yellow so maybe it doesn't count? I assume that's the argument anyway or why on earth would we put up with it?

Niall_Quinn
22-09-2011, 06:58 PM

There's one family who can see it like it really is.

Syn
23-09-2011, 08:16 AM
There's this other case where some redneck attacked a black guy, tortured him to a horrific death, and showed no remorse when he was executed recently. There was no public outcry then.....if you are against capital punishment, you are against it regardless of the case. You cannot pick and choose as the majority do.

GP
23-09-2011, 09:17 AM

He should have thought of that before he went around looking like a terrorist.

The Wengerbabies
23-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Justice :bow:

USA :bow:

fakeyank
23-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Justice :bow:

USA :bow:

:gp:

Only sensible post in this thread tbh

V-Pig
24-09-2011, 08:58 AM
There's this other case where some redneck attacked a black guy, tortured him to a horrific death, and showed no remorse when he was executed recently. There was no public outcry then.....if you are against capital punishment, you are against it regardless of the case. You cannot pick and choose as the majority do.

Tru dat. I'm against it, regardless of the case. It's just more galling when the person also happens to be a likely innocent, or at least a likely reasonable-doubt-er.

Xhaka Can’t
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUA2rDVrmNg&feature=player_embedded